Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

I’m a 43-year-old female who likes shaving my legs, pits and vag.

If you have hair in your vagina, you need to see a doctor ASAP.

(Referring to the vulva as the vagina is one of my peeves.  I also get annoyed by "down there".)

• LOL 3
  • Love 16
21 hours ago, auntlada said:

I had a boss who constantly backed into angled street parking, which meant that her car was facing the wrong way on the street. This is not legal parking in our area. One of my co-workers notified the police, and the parking officer came and gave her a ticket. The rest of us were not unhappy about it, as no one liked her (what with her being crazy and just mean).

Reminds me of when Bitcheroo was on one of her rampages.  One morning, we had a lot of rain and two trees located in the roundabout in front of the station fell over.  Two employees cars were damaged.  We ended up reporting on it live as one of our local storm damage stories.  My sister called me and asked if either car belonged to Bitcheroo.  Unfortunately, neither wasn't, but I would have loved it if it had happened to her.  I found out later that I wasn't the only one to have wished for that!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

For too many years people would say to me, "Smile!'" Drove me nuts cause one can't walk around with a perpetual smile (well, aside from the Pioneer Woman). Then, people began thinking I was angry about something. Several years ago I decided to have some plastic surgery to get rid of those folds of skin between neck & chin (my mom had them). They cleaned up other areas of my face a little and waa-laa!! No one has told me to smile or asked "What's wrong?" since then. I didn't have a face lift like celebs get, but whatever they did got rid of something that made me look angry even though I wasn't even scowling (& I think I had whatever it was even when I was a kid). 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Bastet said:

If you have hair in your vagina, you need to see a doctor ASAP.

(Referring to the vulva as the vagina is one of my peeves.  I also get annoyed by "down there".)

I’m so sorry to offend or peeve anyone here just because I refer to the vulva as my “vag” in slang terms and didn’t want to crudely refer to it here under the multitude of other slang terms, so there you go—I’m way too casual/immature outside of my office to bring myself to refer to genitalia in proper scientific terms, especially online. 
And I’m pleased to report that my vagina has no hair in it, although even if it did, as I explicitly stated in my last post on the hairy topic, I’d gladly have all that extra bodyhair removed too!

((And now my shaven VULVA and I are going to hide in shame because I suddenly felt the need to discuss its status via a public online forum...))

• LOL 8
22 hours ago, auntlada said:

I had a boss who constantly backed into angled street parking, which meant that her car was facing the wrong way on the street. This is not legal parking in our area. One of my co-workers notified the police, and the parking officer came and gave her a ticket. The rest of us were not unhappy about it, as no one liked her (what with her being crazy and just mean).

I visited a small town a few years ago (can't remember where, now), where the downtown parking was all clearly marked as "back-in angle parking".  I actually thought that was a good idea.  Backing in would be the norm, so nobody should be caught off guard (as long as the parker signaled ahead of time), and getting out of your space would be so much easier.  But yeah, don't do it when it's not the norm.  Seems like that would take some crazy wide turns.  Both parking and leaving.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, auntlada said:

I once worked in HR at what was called Bell Atlantic (just as the name was changing to Verizon). I recall fellow managers saying, whenever we'd see a car backed into a parking spot, "Oh, there's an old time employee". They said back in their early days,  they were taught, and expected, to park company cars that way. And so they still parked that way. But this was in garages or parking lots, not street parking (that's crazy!)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Another parking peeve is in your "basic" parking lot, where there are double rows of spaces, not angled, no barriers between them, and someone pulls into a space where the "facing" space is empty, and they don't pull through.  Not so much a peeve as puzzling, I guess. Why wouldn't you pull through and give yourself an easier time getting out?  Finding a pull-through-able space is like winning the lottery to me.  Someone will probably post a completely obvious reason that I'm missing.

• Love 9

If you are speaking of a parking lot in a shopping centre or supermarket, I don't pull through, because them some one will park behind me and I won't be able to put my shopping in the trunk. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

A few weeks ago I posted about how my sister and I are working on selling our parents’ house and the next door neighbor is interested in buying it.  He saw the house and had a contractor with him to look at it at the same time which we weren’t expecting.  Anyway, today my sister met with the neighbor and his son who would live there if there is a deal.  I wasn’t there so I only know what she told me - we know the house needs work and know it wouldn’t be cheap.  The neighbor told my sister how much he’d need to spend and when she told me I thought it sounded high.  He’s supposedly sending us the details - I don’t know why he didn’t bring a copy of it to give her today. 

So my peeve is when you’re presenting someone with a quote for contracting work that is expensive it would be nice to be presented with more than one quote to get some perspective.  I’m guessing this neighbor has used this guy for other work in the past and may be happy with what he’s done and okay with what he charges but we don’t know him from a hole in the wall and from all we know we could get ripped off as far as a selling price for the house. My sister and I agree that he’s using this to drive the asking price down.  We had the house appraised a while back so we didn’t pull the number out of thin air.  We’re going to settle this in the next 2 weeks - right now I’m certain we’re not going to get a deal and we’re going the real estate agent route.  

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

We had the house appraised a while back so we didn’t pull the number out of thin air.  We’re going to settle this in the next 2 weeks - right now I’m certain we’re not going to get a deal and we’re going the real estate agent route.  

The only reason not to use a real estate agent IMO is if you end up with more money at the end of the day.  Sounds like that's not likely to happen by selling directly to this neighbour!   Maybe he's being very forthright and honest but it sure doesn't sound like it to me - but I read to many murder mysteries, everyone's a potential bad guy!

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, Quof said:

If you are speaking of a parking lot in a shopping centre or supermarket, I don't pull through, because them some one will park behind me and I won't be able to put my shopping in the trunk. 

Fair point.  I have actually thought of that, but I have a relatively short car and I'm usually willing to take my chances that I can still get in behind it.  And it seems to happen even in places where you don't normally buy trunks-full of stuff.  But I haven't been going to too many of that kind of place lately so it's not not a big deal either way.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

The only reason not to use a real estate agent IMO is if you end up with more money at the end of the day.  Sounds like that's not likely to happen by selling directly to this neighbour!   Maybe he's being very forthright and honest but it sure doesn't sound like it to me - but I read to many murder mysteries, everyone's a potential bad guy!

Exactly.  We were planning to hire a real estate agent before this guy showed up anyway.  I just got the “estimate” and it’s a list of work the contractor would do with a total cost at the bottom.  If the neighbor is using this as justification to lower the price then I guess he’ll be surprised when we say no deal.  

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, Quof said:

I still pull through cause backing out of parking spots hurts my back. If a person has pulled too close to the back of my car, I pop the trunk and stand at the side to load the trunk. Not fun but I love not having to back out.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Why wouldn't you pull through and give yourself an easier time getting out?  Finding a pull-through-able space is like winning the lottery to me.  Someone will probably post a completely obvious reason that I'm missing.

For me, it's just that I wouldn't think of it.  I'm used to parked cars facing in rather than out, regardless of how they got there.  So just like I don't back into spaces, it wouldn't occur to me to pull forward into one so that I'd wind up parked "backward".  It's not that I have something against parking that way, I just don't have anything against backing out of a spot, which is what I'm used to, so I never think of avoiding it. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Exactly.  We were planning to hire a real estate agent before this guy showed up anyway.  I just got the “estimate” and it’s a list of work the contractor would do with a total cost at the bottom.  If the neighbor is using this as justification to lower the price then I guess he’ll be surprised when we say no deal.  

I went through the same thing with my dad's house. Get thee to a realtor. And don't hire the first one you talk to. The first one I had in wanted to charge me a thousand dollars a month for staging and wanted to paint my dad's very Northwest contemporary house white. Inside and out. All that beautiful cedar paneling, the river rock fireplace, the solid vg fir staircase. I got another realtor.

• Love 4

My preference is to park face out since I drive a sedan and it’s possible by the time I come out there will be either a big truck, SUV or minivan parked next to my car, making it hard for me to back out.  Like @annzeepark914, when I can’t get to the back of my car with the shopping cart I go next to the car to load the trunk.  

• Love 4

Re fish in the office microwave - please don't!  My office is on 2 floors, and I'm on the floor with the break room and the microwaves.  We had one person who would put fish in the microwave and then head upstairs to her office, so she had no clue how the smell lingered.  I pointed it out to her and I could tell she thought I was exaggerating until several other people who worked on my floor spoke up about how awful the smell was.

I don't pull forward at the grocery store either, when I'm going to come out with a cart and need to load bags into my trunk.  I don't want to squeeze between 2 cars with a cart and especially in the winter when almost every car in Wisconsin is filthy with sand and salt from the streets!  I might pull forward if I'm somewhere I won't need to put anything in my trunk.  For example, I do this if I can at my local library, since (in non-pandemic times) there are lots of families going in and out of the library and I'd rather go forward then back out when I depart on the chance that there are little kids in the parking lot.  Which brings up another peeve - parents who let their kids run through parking lots.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Another parking peeve is in your "basic" parking lot, where there are double rows of spaces, not angled, no barriers between them, and someone pulls into a space where the "facing" space is empty, and they don't pull through.  Not so much a peeve as puzzling, I guess. Why wouldn't you pull through and give yourself an easier time getting out?  Finding a pull-through-able space is like winning the lottery to me.  Someone will probably post a completely obvious reason that I'm missing.

Head on collision. I'm frankly baffled that not pulling through is baffling.

I don't pull through when parking or leaving.  Would not even think about it.  Its not a normal thing to do and because its not a normal thing, it increases the odds that you crash into a car coming in from the appropriate direction, ie not crossing the parking lines. And then you are at fault.

But everywhere I park is always busy.  People tend to be stalking spaces because the lots are never empty.  That means that views aren't unobstructed and there is a good chance you can't see a car behind all those SUVs.. That means there is an excellent chance they won't see someone coming through the space in time to stop.  And then you have a fender bender.

There are lots here that specifically prohibit pulling through.

I imagine this is a bit like pedestrians crossing the street.  Its bad to hit a pedestrian everywhere.  But where I live you use a cross walk and are exceedingly careful crossing the street if there isn't one.  You fear the car and its driver and assume they won't see you and avoid hitting you. I've been to countries where people I know aren't actually insane, just step into the street anywhere without looking like its nothing while a car is coming at them and just expect that they will see them and stop.

• Love 1

I'm going to start out by saying I completely understand why this will never happen but it doesn't mean I'm not annoyed by it.

Peeve: Apple watches not working with Android phones. I love my Galaxy / Android phone, I hate my work iPhone but man I really want an Apple Watch. My Galaxy watch just does not cut it when it comes to some functionality, like syncing with Weight Watchers.

Again - I completely understand why this will never happen but still, meh. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I don't pull through when parking or leaving.  Would not even think about it.  Its not a normal thing to do and because its not a normal thing, it increases the odds that you crash into a car coming in from the appropriate direction, ie not crossing the parking lines. And then you are at fault.

Wow I must live in a lot slower-paced place than some folks! No way those two parkers wouldn’t see each other in time to stop before a collision, around here. Interesting to hear how different things can be in different places. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Wow I must live in a lot slower-paced place than some folks! No way those two parkers wouldn’t see each other in time to stop before a collision, around here. Interesting to hear how different things can be in different places. 

Several years ago I was backing out of a spot & starting to turn when a woman also backing out hit the rear side of my car. Bless her heart she was honest with her insurance company so they paid for the damage. This was when I learned from my ins agent that parking lot minor accidents are not given much attention by ins companies. My agent was astonished that her company was paying up.  So, another reason why I dislike backing out.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

This was when I learned from my ins agent that parking lot minor accidents are not given much attention by ins companies. My agent was astonished that her company was paying up.  

Not true, says this insurance lawyer who had an accident in a parking lot that was the other driver's fault.  You may be assured the other driver's insurance company took me seriously.  

• Love 3

Peeve: companies that make you return insignificant things when you are sent them by mistake. I received an order from Ulta but the contents of the package are not my order. It’s clear that the wrong label was placed on my package, as the packing slip and contents are correct. So I called to straighten it out, and they are sending me a label so I can take the package to the post office to return. It’s about $30 of products. Since they made the mistake, I don’t think I should have to expand any effort to deal with it, especially for such a small order. In contrast, I once ordered 2 nightstands from Overstock, and they sent me three. I called to resolve it and they told me just to keep it (it was $250). 

• Love 12
19 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

A few weeks ago I posted about how my sister and I are working on selling our parents’ house and the next door neighbor is interested in buying it.  He saw the house and had a contractor with him to look at it at the same time which we weren’t expecting.  Anyway, today my sister met with the neighbor and his son who would live there if there is a deal.  I wasn’t there so I only know what she told me - we know the house needs work and know it wouldn’t be cheap.  The neighbor told my sister how much he’d need to spend and when she told me I thought it sounded high.  He’s supposedly sending us the details - I don’t know why he didn’t bring a copy of it to give her today. 

So my peeve is when you’re presenting someone with a quote for contracting work that is expensive it would be nice to be presented with more than one quote to get some perspective.  I’m guessing this neighbor has used this guy for other work in the past and may be happy with what he’s done and okay with what he charges but we don’t know him from a hole in the wall and from all we know we could get ripped off as far as a selling price for the house. My sister and I agree that he’s using this to drive the asking price down.  We had the house appraised a while back so we didn’t pull the number out of thin air.  We’re going to settle this in the next 2 weeks - right now I’m certain we’re not going to get a deal and we’re going the real estate agent route.  

When my sister and I sold my Fathers house to the next door neighbor, the appraiser only passed the house in his car and gave us a price.  Didn’t even look inside.  0nly the outside.  They go by the neighborhood, property and looks of the outside.  I was amazed.  We asked for the price the appraiser gave us.  If that helps.

• Useful 1
19 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

When my sister and I sold my Fathers house to the next door neighbor, the appraiser only passed the house in his car and gave us a price.  Didn’t even look inside.  0nly the outside.  They go by the neighborhood, property and looks of the outside.  I was amazed.  We asked for the price the appraiser gave us.  If that helps.

That is not at all what our appraiser did. He walked around the whole outside of the house and then went in. We did it mainly for tax reasons though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

We paid for an appraiser to come in the house and walk around to all the rooms and take pictures.  I believe the $ he gave us is close to what we should get for the house.  My sister told the neighbor an asking price slightly higher so we’d get something close to the appraiser amount.  This estimate provided by the contractor doesn’t even have his name on it nor is it on any official stationary/billing statement like what I’ve gotten in the past when I’ve had work done on my home.  For all I know he had this contractor there for show, came up with his own list and ran off a copy in Word for us.  So this all looks suspicious to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 3/2/2021 at 9:34 AM, annzeepark914 said:

I did that *once*. It was leftover grilled halibut and I had no idea it would cause the entire office to smell. Had my lunch and went out to run errands. You can imagine the greetings I got on my return. Payback was years later when Mr P914 reheated fish in our microwave. Yikes!

what's worse nuked fish or burnt popcorn? Someone burned a bag of popcorn in the office one time , it smelled so bad and took days for it to disappear

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

This estimate provided by the contractor doesn’t even have his name on it nor is it on any official stationary/billing statement like what I’ve gotten in the past when I’ve had work done on my home.  For all I know he had this contractor there for show, came up with his own list and ran off a copy in Word for us.  So this all looks suspicious to me.

It's not your problem what the buyer has to spend to fix it to his/her standards. Put it on the market at a price you and your sister feel comfortable with and let the Realtor do the work. The neighbor sounds like he is trying to get a bargain that he can turn around and sell for a huge profit. In my area right now you have to bid $10-$20,000 over asking in order to be considered. 

9 hours ago, Quof said:

Not true, says this insurance lawyer who had an accident in a parking lot that was the other driver's fault.  You may be assured the other driver's insurance company took me seriously.  

When my brother in law smashed into another car in a parking lot (his fault) the other insurance company came at him with both barrels. It was his fault, he was driving too fast, and he was not driving in a lane (crossing parking spots) and didn't see the other car. He's an idiot so....

• Love 6

It's not your problem what the buyer has to spend to fix it to his/her standards. Put it on the market at a price you and your sister feel comfortable with and let the Realtor do the work. The neighbor sounds like he is trying to get a bargain that he can turn around and sell for a huge profit. In my area right now you have to bid $10-$20,000 over asking in order to be considered. 

This is absolutely correct. Don't even worry about what potential buyers whine about. As long as the house meets all the building codes, that is nothing you should concern yourself with. The first realtor I spoke with wanted me to put 75K into the house. We ended up putting about 15K into it and we got asking price.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

Absolutely correct.  The only type things that I would deduct for are (examples, but not limited to) a heating or AC system that doesn’t work, a poor/leaky roof, or structural damage. Decorating is subjective. Anyone who moves in will want new paint, or basic to extreme upgrades. So many people watch HGTV and expect the same in the real world. 
@Cobb Salad

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

In my area right now you have to bid $10-$20,000 over asking in order to be considered. 

In my area it's insane right now.  Low inventory and big demand means it's a sellers market and if a house is half decent it will likely get multiple offers well over asking.  I know this isn't true everywhere but it is another good reason to put things into the hands of a reputable real estate agent and let them do the vetting of prospective buyers.  One thing I've noticed a lot is when it's an estate sale people have the listing with an "as is" caveat.  Is that actually something that would hold up in court?  I mean say you sell your parent's house and it turns out that there is a significant problem that the buyer should have been told about - can you just shrug and say "I didn't know"?  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Nicmar said:

what's worse nuked fish or burnt popcorn? Someone burned a bag of popcorn in the office one time , it smelled so bad and took days for it to disappear

I hate fish so smelling nuked fish would make me queasy. However, when I have a migraine coming on, one signal for it is the smell of burnt popcorn. So if there was legit burnt popcorn, I would assume a migraine was about to hit. Overall, not having to deal with these two microwave odors is probably in my top 20 reasons I’ve worked from home for the last 5 or so years. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Nicmar said:

A girl at an office I used to work at reheated steamed broccoli in the microwave. I didn't think anything could smell worse than fish or burnt popcorn until then. It took weeks for the smell to disappear, I swear it seeped into the drywall. One of the executives on the floor made such a scene about the smell, I felt sorry for the girl who did it, but it really was awful. 

• Love 2
(edited)
56 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

One thing I've noticed a lot is when it's an estate sale people have the listing with an "as is" caveat.  Is that actually something that would hold up in court?  I mean say you sell your parent's house and it turns out that there is a significant problem that the buyer should have been told about - can you just shrug and say "I didn't know"?  

As long as the buyer has the house inspected and/or all the faults were noted in a document PRIOR to the sale, it's an "as is" deal. If the seller hides the leaky roof or the bad electrical work then I think there could be fault. 

You should always have the house inspected prior to purchase anyway. It's amazing what can show up that the seller doesn't disclose. But anything cosmetic would not worry me. Buyers who can't see past the bright purple paint in the bedroom shouldn't be buying an existing home. If you want a pristine house that matches your desires, build it.

24 minutes ago, emma675 said:

A girl at an office I used to work at reheated steamed broccoli in the microwave. I didn't think anything could smell worse than fish or burnt popcorn until then. It took weeks for the smell to disappear, I swear it seeped into the drywall. One of the executives on the floor made such a scene about the smell, I felt sorry for the girl who did it, but it really was awful. 

The lady who used to sit next to me ate reheated broccoli once, when she realized she'd stunk up the entire area she apologized and never did it again. Burnt popcorn used to be such an issue that an office wide email was sent out asking people to either stand by the microwave while it cooked or to bring it in already cooked. 

Edited by BexKeps
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Quof said:

Happens all the time.  So if I do choose to pull through, I pull WAY through. I try to leave at least two feet between the line and the back of my car, and my car's not super long so this is still fine as far as fitting in the spot. 

Usually that buys me enough space, but sometimes the other person STILL pulls right up on my bumper. And that's really annoying. 

• Love 3
On 3/19/2015 at 6:55 PM, ramble said:

Pet peeve of the moment: gym grunters. We get it. You're lifting heavy. If I can hear you with headphones in across the room you need to change your routine.

Liking this one million times. And just in general, please: I don’t need to hear grunting when you bend over or get up from a chair. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 2/26/2021 at 4:31 PM, theatremouse said:

All of my tagless shirts have a grey band on the inside of the collar, but only on the back, not the front. Best of both worlds.

Sounds like my brother's shirts, except the entire collar is grey, and the arm holes are yellow.

On 2/26/2021 at 11:03 PM, Blergh said:

I agree- and along those same lines why is it so tough to find laundry detergent packet that doesn't have some kind of perfume scent. It's not so easy to find any unscented ones but if all else fails, I go for the 'fresh linen' ones so at least it will somewhat smell somewhat like clean laundry is suppose to smell like. 

My mother-in-law always went on about how much she hated the smell of laundry that was hung up to dry outside.  (NB: She was certifiably batsh*t crazy.)

On 3/2/2021 at 8:45 AM, WinnieWinkle said:

On the subject of smelly fish though my son-in-law is so allergic to fish that even smelling it can cause him to need his epipen.  I am sympathetic of course and we would never have fish when he is over for a meal but I am a tuna fish for lunch fanatic and more than once when he has dropped by unexpectedy he's had to stay outside - honestly I can't even smell it but boy can he!  Poor guy.

Does he work from home?  Never go out to eat?  Do all his food shopping online?  Enquiring minds want to know!

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Are people deliberately tying to misunderstand this Dr. Seuss thing? Because it really feels that way. Also, I bet that all the people screaming about it couldn't name the selection of books in question. 

UGH, the "But what about...?" and "what's next...?" comments (oh-so-astute and thought provoking). Also, I am guessing, based on revisions made back in the late '70s, that the man himself (who was reportedly later regretful about some of his early work) would be fine with this. Also, please learn what "ban" means because you clearly do not! ("You" =/= you guys! I am just pretending that I am yelling at them in the hope that I won't actually snap and do it.)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 10
10 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Peeve: companies that make you return insignificant things when you are sent them by mistake. I received an order from Ulta but the contents of the package are not my order. It’s clear that the wrong label was placed on my package, as the packing slip and contents are correct. So I called to straighten it out, and they are sending me a label so I can take the package to the post office to return. It’s about $30 of products. Since they made the mistake, I don’t think I should have to expand any effort to deal with it, especially for such a small order. In contrast, I once ordered 2 nightstands from Overstock, and they sent me three. I called to resolve it and they told me just to keep it (it was $250). 

Legally you're not required to return what was sent in error. I'd call back and ask for a supervisor to say what you posted here. Either that or contact them through social media if you use it. If they want those beauty items back it makes one wonder how often they might send out returns as new.

• Useful 2
On 2/26/2021 at 11:57 AM, BexKeps said:

I'm going to disagree with this, it was totally the 90's! As a teenager of the 80's I do not remember ever receiving an award unless you were in 1st 2nd or 3rd. My daughters were born in '90 and '94 respectively and I remember them gettin awards for just showing up and being baffeled about how low the bar was set. 

I got them in the ‘80s—for middle school cheerleading. Everyone got one. And in high school, I got a varsity letter for cheerleading, even though it was not an achievement or anything. I really don’t care about the concept of “participation “ awards, whatever. But maybe those should be like T-shirts or something remotely useful at least!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Nicmar said:

Burned popcorn is when everyone gets a break from work. The fire alarms go off, and everybody has to leave the building.

• LOL 1
On 3/2/2021 at 9:38 PM, ParadoxLost said:

But everywhere I park is always busy.  People tend to be stalking spaces because the lots are never empty.  That means that views aren't unobstructed and there is a good chance you can't see a car behind all those SUVs.. That means there is an excellent chance they won't see someone coming through the space in time to stop.  And then you have a fender bender.

There are lots here that specifically prohibit pulling through.

I imagine this is a bit like pedestrians crossing the street.  Its bad to hit a pedestrian everywhere.  But where I live you use a cross walk and are exceedingly careful crossing the street if there isn't one.  You fear the car and its driver and assume they won't see you and avoid hitting you. I've been to countries where people I know aren't actually insane, just step into the street anywhere without looking like its nothing while a car is coming at them and just expect that they will see them and stop.

Same reasons why it's generally against the law to park your car heading against the direction of travel on a given street.  

• Love 1

I go so far as to park farther away so I can get a drive through spot , especially at a mall. If I have to back out I worry that I won’t see small children in my rear view mirror. So much easier to have a clear view of both directions.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Shelbie said:

I go so far as to park farther away so I can get a drive through spot , especially at a mall. If I have to back out I worry that I won’t see small children in my rear view mirror. So much easier to have a clear view of both directions.

I do the same as well. I would rather just avoid the worry and pull all the way through the spot to avoid backing out. Recently at work I parked behind someone who normally leaves before I do (so i can just pull out through that empty parking spot) and well, I walk out and their car was still there, so cripes, I had to back out. And well the sun was at its brightest too and blinding me as I was trying to back out and I almost hit someone walking behind my car (they didn't even try to stop either). 

Here's a new peeve: I hate the frosted pink lipstick that female anchors wear. I actually don't know why this look (along with the blonde highlights) is such a dominant look amongst female anchors. I know that makes me sound petty but IMO frosted pink lipstick is a look that flatters no one.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Are people deliberately tying to misunderstand this Dr. Seuss thing? Because it really feels that way. Also, I bet that all the people screaming about it couldn't name the selection of books in question. 

UGH, the "But what about...?" and "what's next...?" comments (oh-so-astute and thought provoking). Also, I am guessing, based on revisions made back in the late '70s, that the man himself (who was reportedly later regretful about some of his early work) would be fine with this. Also, please learn what "ban" means because you clearly do not! ("You" =/= you guys! I am just pretending that I am yelling at them in the hope that I won't actually snap and do it.)

I'm a librarian--no one gave a shit about those 6 books before Tuesday.  These were never top tier Dr. Seuss books.  And most librarians knew of them and their racist content, so they have not been promoted for years.  They have sat on our shelves, some checking out because it's Dr. Seuss, some languishing, it all depends on the population. 

I also laugh about this because the books went out of print last year.  That is why Amazon doesn't have any copies.  It wasn't a big deal because there are enough other Dr. Seuss titles for people to purchase.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm a librarian--no one gave a shit about those 6 books before Tuesday.  These were never top tier Dr. Seuss books.  And most librarians knew of them and their racist content, so they have not been promoted for years.  They have sat on our shelves, some checking out because it's Dr. Seuss, some languishing, it all depends on the population. 

I also laugh about this because the books went out of print last year.  That is why Amazon doesn't have any copies.  It wasn't a big deal because there are enough other Dr. Seuss titles for people to purchase.  

All these people having fits about "cancel culture". The Seuss Estate decided to stop publishing these books for their own reasons. No one is canceling anything.

• Love 13
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm a librarian--no one gave a shit about those 6 books before Tuesday. 

Fellow librarian chiming in to agree.  To be honest the only title of the 6 I'd even heard of was the Mulberry St one.  And I am positive if I were to challenge the average person (let alone the average one outraged on this) to name any Dr Seuss title off the top of their head I highly doubt any of those 6 would be mentioned.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 9