Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

7 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I also love people who have like no followers constantly doing IG or FB live to go to the grocery store or run other errands. Like dude, you don't need to go on IG live to tell everyone you went to Costco.

I refer to this technique as "daily establishing an alibi".

• Laugh 18
  • Surprise 1

7 hours ago, supposebly said:

Does anyone know where that bridesmaid tradition comes from and what the original reason was?

We don't have that in Germany. We also don't have maids of honor. Just a witness each for groom and bride. They sign after the civic ceremony. They dress in whatever.

https://www.bustle.com/p/where-did-the-tradition-of-bridesmaids-come-from-the-history-behind-wedding-parties-18758745

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

19 hours ago, Callietwo said:

My daughter did that for her wedding.  She wanted a specific shade of either Blue or Green and took the three girls interest to heart.  They chose blue and she said they just needed to be knee length and all the same shade of blue they liked but any style they chose. 

Unfortunately, to my mind, the bustiest girl chose a less than flattering neckline but SHE loved it and to my daughter that was all that mattered.  All three girls chose completely different styles that they were comfortable wearing.

They also decided they'd all wear chucks with their fancy dresses.  So my daughter wore the dresses shade of blue chucks for the reception and the BM's wore white chucks.  Groom & groomsmen wore tuxes with black chucks.  It was all the rage that year.  I just kept reminding myself it wasn't my wedding!  🤷‍♀️

My son and his wife had a Halloween Zoom wedding cause of the Covid. Maid Of Honor wore this:

image.png.7806dd86b34a42c1d86a7e14d8afff2c.png

• Like 2
  • Laugh 14

19 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I have been witness to some real atrocities.  As has been mentioned ^upthread, the dress is often selected to fit the smallest attendant with the least ample bosom, thereby rendering it a fashion fail for anyone outside of those parameters.  Sometimes, a dress that's lovely in a size 6, is not so much in a size 18.  

When I was in my best friend's wedding, the dresses she picked out were a mermaid style with a flair at mid-thigh. My other best friend who was also in the wedding was a size 20 at the time but she was a trooper and went to fittings with no qualms....until the bitch of a dress fitter pointed out that she wasn't built for the dress. Man, I've never wanted to punch someone in the face so bad. It wasn't like my friend didn't know she wasn't the right body type, why the fuck did that lady have to point it out?? Sheer evilness. My friend begged me not to tell the Bride what happened because she didn't want her to feel bad but I have never forgotten how awful that woman was. So that's why I love the trend of letting each bridesmaid pick out the style that suits her. 

19 hours ago, Callietwo said:

They also decided they'd all wear chucks with their fancy dresses.  So my daughter wore the dresses shade of blue chucks for the reception and the BM's wore white chucks.  Groom & groomsmen wore tuxes with black chucks.  It was all the rage that year.  I just kept reminding myself it wasn't my wedding!  🤷‍♀️

I love this! My cousin's wife wore Chucks with her wedding dress, I remember thinking that was so smart! I hate those dye-to-match super uncomfortable ugly pumps they used ot insist every bride wear in my day!

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

I love this! My cousin's wife wore Chucks with her wedding dress, I remember thinking that was so smart! I hate those dye-to-match super uncomfortable ugly pumps they used ot insist every bride wear in my day!

Matching shoes & heel heights wouldn't have worked well, as one attendant is 6 feet tall and the other two barely crack 5 feet.  Plus the wedding was outdoors and grassy. 

And this way they could really and truly wear those shoes again.  "Wedding shoes" are typically stupidly expensive!  Well, weddings are stupidly expensive period.  But she managed to throw a fun wedding,  reception (for 40) AND honeymoon for under $4000 which is an absolute bargain these days, it seems.     

• Like 4

My pet peeve of the day is the plastic bags they have in grocery stores for you to put produce in. Why are they so hard to open?

• Like 8
  • Laugh 2

12 minutes ago, Cara said:

My pet peeve of the day is the plastic bags they have in grocery stores for you to put produce in. Why are they so hard to open?

Because you can’t lick your fingers anymore! Stupid COVID!  But seriously, I find that I can kind of rub the open end between my palms and it eventually opens up.  But I have seen a video of someone using a sticker (from nearby fruit or vegetables) to help. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 2

The produce section in my grocery has misters that dampen the veg.  I dampen my fingertips with the mist and open those bags that way.

Peeve for today:  Our weather.  The forecast for almost every single day this coming week (except Wednesday) is "Rain, freezing rain, sleet."  Last night and today was all sleet and freezing rain.  I am over this.  I would rather have snow than freezing rain and sleet.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

40 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

The produce section in my grocery has misters that dampen the veg.  I dampen my fingertips with the mist and open those bags that way.

Peeve for today:  Our weather.  The forecast for almost every single day this coming week (except Wednesday) is "Rain, freezing rain, sleet."  Last night and today was all sleet and freezing rain.  I am over this.  I would rather have snow than freezing rain and sleet.

We have a little bit of snow and are supposed to get more Sunday and Monday, but since the high Monday is supposed to be 6 (before the wind chill) there will be no going outside in it. Right now it's 13 and feels like -2. I've decided it's the extreme cold that is causing my general feeling of anxiety.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

51 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Where I live in NJ we got around 20” of snow almost 2 weeks ago.  A little bit of it melted only to get about 8” more this past Sunday.  There’s more on the way next week.  I wish it would get warm enough for it to just rain.  The only thing that’s keeping me sane right now is the town cleared enough of the sidewalks and paths near me that I can take my walks around the neighborhood.  

• Like 5

I'm in Texas where we are supposed to get blizzard-like conditions on Sunday through Monday, with highs in the teens and lows below zero. It iced over yesterday so there's a nice,  slick layer already. Then more snow on Wednesday. It's insane, we are not equipped to deal with weather like this. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I heard about the massive pile-up near Fort Worth that left six people dead yesterday. The footage of the wrecked cars was horrifying. Those poor people.

I hope you guys stay safe down there. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Because you can’t lick your fingers anymore! Stupid COVID!  But seriously, I find that I can kind of rub the open end between my palms and it eventually opens up.  But I have seen a video of someone using a sticker (from nearby fruit or vegetables) to help. 

Just please, for the love of your local grocery worker, don't take the sticker off an apple or tomato. Those stickers have price look-up codes on them that identify the produce, and there are different kinds of apples and tomatoes that look very similar (to other apples and tomatoes, not an apple to a tomato). Take a sticker off a cantaloupe or banana if you must. For the rest of my life, I'll never forget that 4011 is banana.

• Like 17

49 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Just please, for the love of your local grocery worker, don't take the sticker off an apple or tomato. Those stickers have price look-up codes on them that identify the produce, and there are different kinds of apples and tomatoes that look very similar (to other apples and tomatoes, not an apple to a tomato). Take a sticker off a cantaloupe or banana if you must. For the rest of my life, I'll never forget that 4011 is banana.

I go for the annoying mist they spray on the veggies. Wet my fingers with that and open the bag. I'd never use the stickers... that leads to back ups in check out as someone has go find the correct codes for the fruit/veggie.

• Like 7

And now my roof is leaking.  I *think*, without any real knowledge or concrete evidence, that maybe the ice load affected the seal around one of the pipes (plumbing vent?  no idea) coming through the roof and melting ice is coming through.  In the bedroom, over the bed.  Fortunately, not my side of the bed, but still.  It was freezing rain all night, and I also consider myself fortunate that I still have electricity.  @CobbSalad, I would much rather have all of your snow than this ice.  We're getting close to 1/4" of ice since Thursday night.

• Sad 6

Because it is so cold outside (9 degrees, feels like -8), the heater is running almost constantly, and the air is so dry, much more than usual. The inside of my nose is dry and hurty. I've started using the saline nasal spray again and reminding myself to drink more water. I don't mind cold weather and don't want summer temperatures year-round, but this is too cold.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, auntlada said:

Because it is so cold outside (9 degrees, feels like -8), the heater is running almost constantly, and the air is so dry, much more than usual. The inside of my nose is dry and hurty. I've started using the saline nasal spray again and reminding myself to drink more water. I don't mind cold weather and don't want summer temperatures year-round, but this is too cold.

We got about ten inches of snow last night and it's still going strong. Oh how I miss our usual Seattle rain.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Mea culpa, I didn't mean to come off as an advocate of sticker-switching.  In the store I normally go to, there are  plenty to spare on the produce I'm planning to put in the un-openable bag.  In fact, that's another peeve.  They don't stick so well to the produce, but they sure as heck stick to the bag causing it to bunch up and tear when you try to fight past the stickers.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cara said:

We now use these  Reusable produce bags that I received in my Causebox subscription.  We just toss them in with the towels to wash.  No more fighting those damn plastic bags!  

Edited by Callietwo
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

And a tree limb just broke and narrowly missed my car.  It did block the driveway and was partly in the street, though, so I had to take care of that.  I hate ice storms.

• Surprise 6
  • Sad 5

35 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

And a tree limb just broke and narrowly missed my car.  It did block the driveway and was partly in the street, though, so I had to take care of that.  I hate ice storms.

Last night was really windy on top of the snow, I was so worried something like that was going to happen but I'm glad you're safe now.

• Like 2

On FB I often get ads for magazines like Time or newspapers like the New York Times and without fail there are people who have "liked" these ads with a laugh icon.  I'm sure the message they're giving is meant to be a mocking one, a way of diminishing the value of these publications.  But why?  To what purpose?  So I guess my pet peeve is people who comment on things just to be nasty.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 6

Jesus @browncoat! Did you rob a Pharoah's tomb or something?

• Laugh 3

37 minutes ago, ABay said:

Jesus @browncoat! Did you rob a Pharoah's tomb or something?

Apparently!  I'm sure others have it much worse -- at least I haven't lost electricity -- but this much ice is no joke.  It built up enough on the satellite dish that I had to take a hammer to it (gently), because I couldn't break it off with just my hands.  I also used the hammer on the deck railing and steps (not so gently).  It's ridiculous.  As I said, I would infinitely prefer snow to this crap.  It is meant to get above freezing tomorrow, so hopefully that will help the poor trees.

• Sad 3

We were talking a few days ago about words we would like to go away. I nominate "wowzers". Makes my skin crawl. And now that I think about it, "yeppers" can go straight to hell. Really anything that takes a normal word and adds "ers" to it. 

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

We were talking a few days ago about words we would like to go away. I nominate "wowzers". Makes my skin crawl. And now that I think about it, "yeppers" can go straight to hell. Really anything that takes a normal word and adds "ers" to it. 

Grandbaby makes me cringe.  And now that I think about it adults calling other adults babe or baby also hits my peeve meter.  I'm not entirely sure why.  Honey, sweetie, pookie wookie - I don't care - call someone babe and I have to grit my teeth.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Grandbaby makes me cringe.  And now that I think about it adults calling other adults babe or baby also hits my peeve meter.  I'm not entirely sure why.  Honey, sweetie, pookie wookie - I don't care - call someone babe and I have to grit my teeth.

Even worse than grandbaby - furbaby. Ugh.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 2

In my ancestral language, double words are often used in toddler speak.  That's fine when you're speaking in Cantonese.  But when you're doing it in English?  Sorry, it doesn't work.  You can say che-che for car, but not car-car.  Besides, we want our already expressively delayed kid to use proper words - in either language.  I'm trying hard to get him to say either "dog" or "gau" rather than "woe-woe" (translation in English would be "woofy").  He knows very well that the proper word is dog/gau.  He just refuses to say it (he's a smart kid.  He knows his numbers from 1-10 (and though I doubt he actually understands the concept of addition, he'll show you, for example, four fingers if you ask him what 2+2 is), many animals (he'll either make its sound or mime what these animals look like or do (e.g. he'll pretend to eat nuts if we ask him about squirrels)), colours and we're working on letters).  JUST STOP DOUBLING WORDS IN ENGLISH.  No "cat-cat," PLEASE.  It makes me cringe.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

@PRgal, that makes me think of Henry Cho and his routine about women saying words twice to mean something different (which I know is a generalization, but I have been known to do that myself) and his friend says, "Yeah, it was a date date. I spent money money."

My peeve is that I do not have an eye for measuring depth, so my shortbread is twice as thick as it should be and taking a long time to cook and then may or may not be any good because of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Grandbaby makes me cringe. 

I had no idea “grandbaby” bugged anyone! I apologize if you were were one of my coworkers who I used that name with. It’s just, he’s a baby! And I’m his grandma!  Is “grandkid” also peevy?  Anyway, now that his vocabulary is approaching mine, I acknowledge he’s no longer a grandbaby! He’s a grandperson! (Sorry)

• Like 2

Balancing something on top of the full trash can is not the moral equivalent of responsibly throwing something away!

• Like 3

My recent pet peeve:  I have to give myself shots (for CHOLESTEROL medication because my pills were discontinued) .. I have cholesterol problems from meds I have been on for 30 years. So NOW.. I have to go into my bathroom, grab my thigh, and scream bloody murder - the needle is like a staple gun).  I just did it tonight.. it is every 2 weeks; i am not a baby.. i can take shots.. but this??? I've had it.  Don't know if anyone has done this.  I know alot of people give themself shots.. but this , honestly is like driving a staple into wood.  But I'm still happy.

• Surprise 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Boston said:

My recent pet peeve:  I have to give myself shots (for CHOLESTEROL medication because my pills were discontinued) .. I have cholesterol problems from meds I have been on for 30 years. So NOW.. I have to go into my bathroom, grab my thigh, and scream bloody murder - the needle is like a staple gun).  I just did it tonight.. it is every 2 weeks; i am not a baby.. i can take shots.. but this??? I've had it.  Don't know if anyone has done this.  I know alot of people give themself shots.. but this , honestly is like driving a staple into wood.  But I'm still happy.

I'm so sorry!  Meds I'm on (for my epilepsy) cause me to have elevated cholesterol as well (despite exercising six days a week and eating extremely healthfully), but it's not bad enough for me to need meds.  Can you talk to your doctor about other alternatives?

Some grammar/spelling peeves: I hate when people spell "too" as "to." I have friends who do that and it drives me batty. Another one is spelling "in case" like "incase." And this is rarer but when people spell "grateful" as "greatful." 

126906284_10107005918649665_4132397358208001452_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4

10 hours ago, Callietwo said:

We now use these  Reusable produce bags that I received in my Causebox subscription.  We just toss them in with the towels to wash.  No more fighting those damn plastic bags!  

I have a carful of reusable bags.  Somehow they never make it into the grocery store with me.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

3 hours ago, PRgal said:

In my ancestral language, double words are often used in toddler speak.  That's fine when you're speaking in Cantonese.  But when you're doing it in English?  Sorry, it doesn't work.  You can say che-che for car, but not car-car.  Besides, we want our already expressively delayed kid to use proper words - in either language.  I'm trying hard to get him to say either "dog" or "gau" rather than "woe-woe" (translation in English would be "woofy").  He knows very well that the proper word is dog/gau.  He just refuses to say it (he's a smart kid.  He knows his numbers from 1-10 (and though I doubt he actually understands the concept of addition, he'll show you, for example, four fingers if you ask him what 2+2 is), many animals (he'll either make its sound or mime what these animals look like or do (e.g. he'll pretend to eat nuts if we ask him about squirrels)), colours and we're working on letters).  JUST STOP DOUBLING WORDS IN ENGLISH.  No "cat-cat," PLEASE.  It makes me cringe.

Your post took me back in time to when I was in grad school and in a relationship with a professor (completely different departments, English literature versus sociology) who had done his doctoral research in Indonesia. He of course had to learn the language, and he mentioned that in Indonesian, a double noun generally indicates a plural or “all of the [noun].” For example, “cat cat” could mean “cats” or “all of the cats” depending on context. 
My pet peeve around language for babies and toddlers is adults who use “baby talk” when speaking to babies/toddlers. You’re teaching them the wrong words or wrong pronunciation, which means they will then have to learn the correct words/pronunciation when they are a little older. Why make acquiring a decent vocabulary any harder than it has to be? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Leeds said:
10 hours ago, Callietwo said:

I have a carful of reusable bags.  Somehow they never make it into the grocery store with me.

In VT, one-use grocery bags are now illegal so we're used to bringing in our bags... so we keep these together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boston said:

Are you using a syringe, or a pen? If you're using a syringe, I can't help you, but if you're using a pen, I highly recommend these needles, they're practically microscopic.

I wish phone numbers didn't make one so vulnerable. Sometimes strangers who ask me out are pretty cute, but I hate giving randoms my number due to safety reasons. Just so tough with covid. I'm lonely and don't go out the way I used to. 😞I need to look into how to get a free second number. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GaT said:

Are you using a syringe, or a pen? If you're using a syringe, I can't help you, but if you're using a pen, I highly recommend these needles, they're practically microscopic.

It's Praluent pen.. you STAB it into either thigh or arm (i opt for the thighs).  I just pick them up from CVS.. they have to be refrigerated until use.. You stab it into your skin and the fluid from the pen goes into you.  It's not like I can change the needle.. the needle is way inside until you punch it into the skin.  Believe me, I am so used to having needles, bloodwork, etc. that doesn't bother me.. but this?  I have to bite on a towel..lol.. thank you for your recommendations.

4 hours ago, PRgal said:

I'm so sorry!  Meds I'm on (for my epilepsy) cause me to have elevated cholesterol as well (despite exercising six days a week and eating extremely healthfully), but it's not bad enough for me to need meds.  Can you talk to your doctor about other alternatives?

I was never on a cholesterol med til i had a heart attack - and that came because of HIV meds I have been taking for 25 years - the meds raise your cholesterol and then "oh" people are getting heart attacks.  I was on Fluvastatin for the last 9 years then they stopped making it.. i tried 3 other statins and i  was allergic.. hence, the pen.  I am very close to my doctor and this was the last alternative.  I joke, but it does hurt (i would rather have someone else give it to me).  Like I said, it feels like a staple gun.  Thank you for your thoughts.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Boston said:

It's Praluent pen.. you STAB it into either thigh or arm (i opt for the thighs).  I just pick them up from CVS.. they have to be refrigerated until use.. You stab it into your skin and the fluid from the pen goes into you.  It's not like I can change the needle.. the needle is way inside until you punch it into the skin.  Believe me, I am so used to having needles, bloodwork, etc. that doesn't bother me.. but this?  I have to bite on a towel..lol.. thank you for your recommendations.

Yikes. I inject once a week, & it comes with small needles that you screw on. I didn't know they made pens that work like that, I wonder why? It's sounds really unpleasant. I don't have to stab, I just press the button & inject (my stomach is my area of choice, lots of fat to cushion it 😀) & that's it.

4 minutes ago, GaT said:

Yikes. I inject once a week, & it comes with small needles that you screw on. I didn't know they made pens that work like that, I wonder why? It's sounds really unpleasant. I don't have to stab, I just press the button & inject (my stomach is my area of choice, lots of fat to cushion it 😀) & that's it.

That sounds easy.. if you look up Praluent pen.. you will see.. the needle is inside (and it is thick).. you put one end against your skin and hit the other end with your finger and it jabs the needle in with the "yellow" medicine.  I have been known to jab it in and the fluid shot up to the ceiling..lol (that was at first.. But I have to psych myself up to give the shot to me.. a couple glasses of wine and i'm there.. yet I still scream..lol

45 minutes ago, Boston said:

That sounds easy.. if you look up Praluent pen.. you will see.. the needle is inside (and it is thick).. you put one end against your skin and hit the other end with your finger and it jabs the needle in with the "yellow" medicine.  I have been known to jab it in and the fluid shot up to the ceiling..lol (that was at first.. But I have to psych myself up to give the shot to me.. a couple glasses of wine and i'm there.. yet I still scream..lol

Huh, that sounds horrible. I can't imagine why it's so hard. Maybe it's something to do with the viscosity of the medicine? I can barely feel the needle I use.

5 minutes ago, GaT said:

Huh, that sounds horrible. I can't imagine why it's so hard. Maybe it's something to do with the viscosity of the medicine? I can barely feel the needle I use.

Well, it's kind of the medicine because you have to leave the needle in so long while you are pushing the liquid in.  I'm just a big baby.  I'm used to other people giving me shots.. but this is very different.. you put the end of the pen on your skin, then push the other end and the big needle punctures you with the medicine so you have to hold it there tight til it empties.. and it's the needle that bothers me, not the liquid.  Anyway, this too shall pass.  I can live with it.  So many more people have much more horrible things.

5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I wish phone numbers didn't make one so vulnerable. Sometimes strangers who ask me out are pretty cute, but I hate giving randoms my number due to safety reasons. Just so tough with covid. I'm lonely and don't go out the way I used to. 😞I need to look into how to get a free second number. 

Look in to getting a Google Voice Number.  You can assign your cell/home/whatever number to it and if it becomes too much of a hassle (lots of unwanted calls) you can remove the real phone number and delete the account.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

11 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Some grammar/spelling peeves: I hate when people spell "too" as "to." I have friends who do that and it drives me batty. Another one is spelling "in case" like "incase." And this is rarer but when people spell "grateful" as "greatful." 

I notice that alot

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I notice that alot

I had an English teacher in seventh grade who gave a spelling test every Friday. The last thing on the list of words were "a lot" she said that was one of the most common spelling mistakes and she was going to make damn sure her students knew better.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I go to the market

I go too the market

I am too funny

I am to funny

Incase me in goo

In case me in goo

In case I am covered in goo, rinse me off

Incase I am covered in goo, rinse me off

The spelling check found nothing wrong with any of the above.  There is apparently no grammar check on this website.  MS word was only 75% correct on identifying the grammar errors.  People use them wrong all the time because they have come to rely on grammar/spell check tools like the rely on calculators to do math.

Greatful and grateful is less frequently wrong because one is always an incorrect spelling.  Seeing greatful is a sign that someone doesn't care enough to do a basic correction of what they typed.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Pet peeve: People who you’re trying to explain something to and before you’re finished talking have to interrupt you with “I know”.  My sister and I are getting ready to sell our parent’s house (long story how we got here which I’m not going through here) - the next store neighbor showed interest a while back (before COVID) and we were receptive to selling to him.  Heard nothing for months,  not even a I’m still interested but it’s not a good time now sort of thing.  So a couple of weeks ago we heard from him and we had a time to show him the inside that ended up getting postponed.  We had a difficult time rescheduling (another annoying story) but now have a time.  In the interim my sister was talking with him on the phone about the house and trying to tell him how a lot of work needs to be done inside and during her explanation he says he knows because he’s been looking in the windows.  How much he’s seen I wonder because we’ve kept the blinds and drapes closed when we’re not there.  When I was there in December after it snowed I saw footprints going to the backyard to the back door so now I know that must of been him.  

I don’t know what to think about this guy right now but it will be interesting when he sees the inside to find out how much he thinks “he knows” about the house.  

Edited by Cobb Salad
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums.