Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Me too.  I understand why they have to be there but removing them without making a hole is a time-consuming pain in the neck.

And even if I manage 100% removal, I still suffer from phantom itch.

And what is up with even more tags on the sides of clothing? Because the one at the neck isn't enough? MEH! 

DOWN WITH TAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Quof said:

My high school had a sports banquet, with participation ribbons for everyone on every team (at least some acknowledgement of merit, as people had to try out for a spot on a team), as well as trophies for MVP, skills competitions, sportsmanship, most improved....

They eventually recognized they were ignoring all of the geeks,  so the banquet was expanded to include all non-sports extra-curriculars, as well as academic achievement.  So there were participation ribbons for drama and student council, and certificates for top students. 

It was a long night. 

We had a separate Arts Banquet for us arts geeks.  Everyone had "boarding food" (the high school I went to was mostly for day students, but there were 80-something ish girls in boarding) and then, if I recall correctly, saw drama classes perform short plays.  I just liked getting out of the house and not having to eat my grandmother's crappy cooking.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Leeds said:

Me too.  I understand why they have to be there but removing them without making a hole is a time-consuming pain in the neck.

And even if I manage 100% removal, I still suffer from phantom itch.

I HATE when tags are sewn on. It's a pain to get them removed, and there's actually wear and tear on a brand-new beautiful coat. 

Please stop this Calvin Klein!

• Love 2
22 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have no problem with kids being recognized for their efforts. Not every kid is the next future star, but they all came out (well, their parents brought them out) and generally had fun and learned something, so they deserve recognition.  My issue is with the actual physical trophies! Raising 3 kids in the 90’s-00’s, we pretty much ran out of shelf space. Give ‘em a sticker, or a gift card for an ice cream cone. I should have invested in cheap trophy manufacturers in the early 90’s!  Save the trophies for the grownups who win the Super Bowl or the Nobel prize or whatever. 

I misread this as "they all came out well" and immediately my mind leapt to "the parents of Jeffrey Dahmer's victims might beg to differ".

Thankfully he wasn't my student, but I've had plenty of students who didn't deserve a sticker, unless it was one saying "could do better".

• Love 1
4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My peeve is tags in clothing. I hate tags so, so much. And when you take them out, even with a seam ripper, there are still itchy things left behind.

Mine is shirts without tags. I understand why they aren't there -- because many people find them bothersome. Some shirts I have no problems with, but for those whose front and back look similar, the tags help me put them on the right way. I have to take my glasses off to pull shirts on over my head (yes, I did once break a pair of glasses because I didn't take them off), and without a tag, it's hard to tell which is the front. I have very bad vision.

• Love 2

OK, Mechanics, if all you have to do is drive my car from the parking lot to the hydraulic car lift then back, WHY do you have to adjust my seat for your dimensions? Will the 10-second drive each way cause irreversible cricks and cramps in your legs and back if you don't have it exactly the way you like it?! Sakes, Mama has shrunk nearly a foot shorter than me but I'm perfectly capable of driving her car if need be in a scrunched position so how tough can it be for you (who are roughly two decades younger) all to do the same? And if you MUST adjust it, how tough is it for you to adjust it BACK to where I had had it.

I guess I should be grateful that THIS time you kept my radio station 'as was' instead of killing my Classic Oldies selection in favor of something that makes me want tear the upholstery.

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
20 minutes ago, auntlada said:

Mine is shirts without tags. I understand why they aren't there -- because many people find them bothersome. Some shirts I have no problems with, but for those whose front and back look similar, the tags help me put them on the right way. I have to take my glasses off to pull shirts on over my head (yes, I did once break a pair of glasses because I didn't take them off), and without a tag, it's hard to tell which is the front. I have very bad vision.

I was so wrapped up in my hatred of tags I never thought of this. Thank you! 

I can update my peeve from "tags" to "scratchy tags"

• Love 3
1 hour ago, auntlada said:

All of my tagless shirts have a grey band on the inside of the collar, but only on the back, not the front. Best of both worlds.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

OK, Mechanics, if all you have to do is drive my car from the parking lot to the hydraulic car lift then back, WHY do you have to adjust my seat for your dimensions? Will the 10-second drive each way cause irreversible cricks and cramps in your legs and back if you don't have it exactly the way you like it?! Sakes, Mama has shrunk nearly a foot shorter than me but I'm perfectly capable of driving her car if need be in a scrunched position so how tough can it be for you (who are roughly two decades younger) all to do the same? And if you MUST adjust it, how tough is it for you to adjust it BACK to where I had had it.

I guess I should be grateful that THIS time you kept my radio station 'as was' instead of killing my Classic Oldies selection in favor of something that makes me want tear the upholstery.

If you are my size then yes, that would make them contortionists to fit into my settings. I have an auto position button. If press 1 and it goes back to my preferred settings. Glad that at least they left your radio station on. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

All of my tagless shirts have a grey band on the inside of the collar, but only on the back, not the front. Best of both worlds.

Most of mine (if not all) do not have that. I think I have one that does, but it's actually a man's sleepshirt that I wear as a long-sleeve T-shirt. I have the problem most in winter with turtlenecks and sweaters that have the same pattern all around. If it has a tag on the side, I look for that, as I have determined that the side tags in women's shirts are on the left.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, auntlada said:

If it has a tag on the side, I look for that, as I have determined that the side tags in women's shirts are on the left.

Interesting bit of trivia, thank you.  I hate any neck that feels like it is strangling me, so it's easy to tell front from back in my shirts (v-neck is my favorite; I also like scoop, square, and surplice, but get crew and turtle away from me!), but I'm sometimes open to boatneck, so if I ever have one where I can't tell front from back, I'll know to check the side tag (which is where I prefer tags to be, although I usually remove them all unless I figure I won't remember how an item should be washed).

• Love 3
On 2/14/2021 at 4:27 PM, Quof said:

Don't you hate it when you speak properly, but other people think you are wrong because the world at large speaks incorrectly?   I promise you, people, I am right when I say "between you and me". 

Whenever I read "between you and I" etc., it makes me want to grind my teeth. When I answer the phone and the caller asks for Ann, I always say, "This is she speaking". I bet these callers roll their eyes. 

Just had to add: I'm sick of hearing about Markle & her prince. Hope the OTT publicity dies down after the big interview. 

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Interesting bit of trivia, thank you.  I hate any neck that feels like it is strangling me, so it's easy to tell front from back in my shirts (v-neck is my favorite; I also like scoop, square, and surplice, but get crew and turtle away from me!), but I'm sometimes open to boatneck, so if I ever have one where I can't tell front from back, I'll know to check the side tag (which is where I prefer tags to be, although I usually remove them all unless I figure I won't remember how an item should be washed).

I'm the same way. I sleep in big t-shirts, but before I wear them, I cut a roughly 6–8" slit in the collar straight down the center front of the shirts. I think I must've been strangled to death in a past life.

A former friend once forced me to try on a cowl neck sweater. I felt like I was being drowned and strangled at the same time.

V-neck shirts forever.

• Love 1

Why is it so hard to find unscented deodorant? The reason I wear deodorant is so my armpits don't smell. I don't care if the smell is lavender, or chamomile lemon, or fruit, I don't want to smell it. I especially hate when someone picks up their arms & you get hit with a giant whiff of deodorant smell. This always seems to happen when someone uses a spray on deodorant. I just want my (& yours) deodorant to have no smell.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, GaT said:

Why is it so hard to find unscented deodorant? The reason I wear deodorant is so my armpits don't smell. I don't care if the smell is lavender, or chamomile lemon, or fruit, I don't want to smell it. I especially hate when someone picks up their arms & you get hit with a giant whiff of deodorant smell. This always seems to happen when someone uses a spray on deodorant. I just want my (& yours) deodorant to have no smell.

I agree- and along those same lines why is it so tough to find laundry detergent packet that doesn't have some kind of perfume scent. It's not so easy to find any unscented ones but if all else fails, I go for the 'fresh linen' ones so at least it will somewhat smell somewhat like clean laundry is suppose to smell like. 

As to your initial query, I go for the Arm& Hammer Baking Soda underarm deodorant since baking soda usually has no real smell. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can't stand turtle neck stuff.  Like you're being strangled and walking around all day likes it's 200 degrees.  No idea how anyone can like those or wear them. 

• Love 3

Ice storms.  Fucking ice storms.  This is the third one in as many weeks, and I am over it.  The only good thing about this one is that it's closer to 0.1 inch than the 0.25+ that we had with the last two, so I shouldn't lose any more tree limbs/trees.  I hope.  Oh, the other good thing is that the temps are meant to get in the 50s later today -- unlike last weekend, when we were encased in ice for days.

And I'll go along with the turtleneck hate.  I can tolerate mock turtlenecks if I stretch them out away from my neck some, but big no on actual turtlenecks.  I don't even like scarves around my neck. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

I agree- and along those same lines why is it so tough to find laundry detergent packet that doesn't have some kind of perfume scent. It's not so easy to find any unscented ones but if all else fails, I go for the 'fresh linen' ones so at least it will somewhat smell somewhat like clean laundry is suppose to smell like. 

As to your initial query, I go for the Arm& Hammer Baking Soda underarm deodorant since baking soda usually has no real smell. 

Look for detergent marketed to parents of infants. That's when we started buying unscented detergent and dryer sheets because the boy had very sensitive skin.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

And I'll go along with the turtleneck hate.  I can tolerate mock turtlenecks if I stretch them out away from my neck some, but big no on actual turtlenecks.  I don't even like scarves around my neck. 

Since I'm doing so much professional work virtually, with a camera close to my face for hours at a time, I've bought a lot of turtlenecks.  Because the camera doesn't lie. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I can't stand turtle neck stuff.  Like you're being strangled and walking around all day likes it's 200 degrees.  No idea how anyone can like those or wear them. 

"Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy, all day. Wearing a backpack and a turtleneck is like a weak m***** trying to bring you down."

- Mitch Hedberg

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

Seventh Generation Free and Clear has no scent. I've been using it for a few years along with Method brand fabric softener which is scented but isn't full of a chemical smell.

• Useful 3

Here's a peeve: wine and cheese parties. I have a very strong reaction to the smell of some of the hard cheese odors in those gatherings and wish that wine and cheese gatherings could include more than wine and huge sticks of hard cheeses. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

Here's a peeve: wine and cheese parties. I have a very strong reaction to the smell of some of the hard cheese odors in those gatherings and wish that wine and cheese gatherings could include more than wine and huge sticks of hard cheeses. 

They don't also serve meats, nuts and fruit? That seems odd.

1 hour ago, Quof said:

1.  Who's having any kind of party?   

2.  You need better friends, who follow Ina Garten's instructions for cheese boards.

Good advice, although she serves those really smelly olives which give me the same reaction as the cheeses give grownsonwalls.

• Love 1

I also dislike turtlenecks.  I don't have much of a neck (I have always envied women with long graceful necks) and over the past couple of decades turtlenecks have become more and more choking.  Probably a lot of complaints about them become stretched out from the aforementioned women with long graceful necks!  Also, I just don't like things around my neck.  I seldom wear necklaces for this reason.  I do tolerate a scarf in the winter.  Not wrapped around though, just something crossed over in the front under my coat, only because I cannot stand a jacket zipped up all the way or a coat buttoned up all the way, but then I don't want my throat area exposed to cold and wind.  

• Love 3

Current pet peeve: people.  Honest to god.  So we're driving up the main street of the small town we live in when the car ahead of us starts backing up. Turns out he wanted to snag a parking spot and was backing into it.  But to accomplish this he just starts backing up.  We had to slam on the brakes, the guy behind us had to slam on the brakes, the guy behind him...well you get the picture.  Then he narrowly misses our car as he slides past us to manoeuvre into the spot.  The guy behind us honks his horn at this point and the backing up into a parking space guy gives US the finger.  Sigh.  I want to move somewhere where there are no cars allowed!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, auntlada said:

Look for detergent marketed to parents of infants. That's when we started buying unscented detergent and dryer sheets because the boy had very sensitive skin.

I use All--Free & Clear for most of my personal laundry. I don't use it for sheets and pillow cases. But yesterday, while out & about, wearing a mask, my nose kept itching. So I did my masks last night using the All Free & Clear. Today I wore one of the masks and voila! No itch. If I worked & had to wear a mask all day, I'd wear disposable masks. But I love wearing my snazzy plaid cloth masks in diff colors (I need to have some fun during these weird times🤓).

• Love 4
15 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm the same way. I sleep in big t-shirts, but before I wear them, I cut a roughly 6–8" slit in the collar straight down the center front of the shirts. I think I must've been strangled to death in a past life.

A former friend once forced me to try on a cowl neck sweater. I felt like I was being drowned and strangled at the same time.

V-neck shirts forever.

Joining the strangling shirts club.  I've been home alot during the pandemic so - comfortable clothing.  I found alot of sweatshirts I hadn't worn in a long time and realized it was because they came up too high on my neck.  Took the scissors and cut the collars off so i could "breathe" (and i'm not that big).  Donated all my turtlenecks years ago - the worst.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

People shouldn't allow words to psychologically hit them hard and hurt them long term.  Nobody can control what another person says, but they have total control over whether it affects them or not.

Big WORD to this!  I just had a work mandated diversity zoom meeting and while listening,  one of the other participants whined about being told how she should consider straightening her naturally curly hair.  She called it a "micro aggression".  I couldn't help but speak up and say it was just a suggestion (she was an on camera personality for one of our TV news stations) and maybe the person who said it wasn't aiming to insult her.  Not everything is an insult - maybe it's constructive criticism.   Personally, I think she would have looked better with straight hair - but that's just between us!!

why is it so tough to find laundry detergent packet that doesn't have some kind of perfume scent. It's not so easy to find any unscented ones

When all else fails, you can always make your own laundry soap.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I just had a work mandated diversity zoom meeting and while listening,  one of the other participants whined about being told how she should consider straightening her naturally curly hair.

That is not a suggestion she should be subjected to, especially at work, nor should her voicing her experience be dismissed as whining. 

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

If he were alive today he would have to change that to vertically challenged individual.

Or he could just say dwarf or little person; there's no need to make something up, simply avoid using a slur.  It's not hard.

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That is not a suggestion she should be subjected to, especially at work, nor should her voicing her experience be dismissed as whining. 

I don't know if it happened at work or not.  However, I did say the person might not have meant it to be an insult.  I see so many people who take too much to heart when I was told growing up to "get over it".  Sure people may be clueless but there is such a thing as not letting trivial things get to you.  If someone suggested I dye my hair blonde, I'd reject it, but not feel insulted by it.

And yes, she was whining.  

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2

Adding to the hate of tags and too-high collars. Why is it so hard to find V neck T shirts? And why are all the sleeves so damned short? They're supposed to be short sleeved, not cap sleeved, ffs.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Or he could just say dwarf or little person; there's no need to make something up, simply avoid using a slur.  It's not hard.

It was a long time ago. I'm sure Mitch meant no offense, he was about the meekest guy who ever lived.

"m*****" is now not allowed? As a very economically sized person I used to be called a m***** all the time back in the day and I never thought of it as an insult or term of opprobrium. When I was 8 years old I read the book "Gidget" upon which the movie (and maybe a TV show) was based and the name specifically came about because the character, like me, was tiny, cute and a m*****! And she learned to surf, which I have not yet done but hope to some day..

Oh - Tom's (yes, Tom's of Maine) makes great unscented deodorant. I've used it for many years because my late husband hated all artificial scents.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, isalicat said:

When I was 8 years old I read the book "Gidget" upon which the movie (and maybe a TV show) was based and the name specifically came about because the character, like me, was tiny, cute and a m*****!

The movie and the TV show were based on the book which in turn was about a real person.  The real Gidget.  BTW she wasn't actually a m***** or little person just short.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Turtlenecks strangling people....  I've got nothing to add to that.

If I believed in reincarnation I'd think I must have been hung in an earlier life as I absolutely loathe the feeling of anything against my throat be that turtleneck, scarf or the aptly named choker necklace!

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, isalicat said:

Oh - Tom's (yes, Tom's of Maine) makes great unscented deodorant. I've used it for many years because my late husband hated all artificial scents.

This brand is also great - plus it's aluminum free!!  You definitely don't want aluminum in your food, cooking utensils or body care products!

17 minutes ago, isalicat said:

"m*****" is now not allowed?

Yeah, when did that happen?  I have a co-worker who's nickname also was derived from "m*****" (he's 5'7) and he never saw it as an insult.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, magicdog said:

Yeah, when did that happen? 

It's been so long I can't remember when I learned it was a slur, but maybe 15 years ago or so is when there was general awareness - that's around the time Little People, Big World premiered and got some press attention.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Adding to the hate of tags and too-high collars. Why is it so hard to find V neck T shirts? And why are all the sleeves so damned short? They're supposed to be short sleeved, not cap sleeved, ffs.

LL Bean and Lands End have a lot of V-neck T-shirts. Gee...I'd love to find cap sleeve T-shirts. I don't think anyone sells them now.

53 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

The movie and the TV show were based on the book which in turn was about a real person.  The real Gidget.  BTW she wasn't actually a m***** or little person just short.

I wonder if her dad created the name by blending girl/m***** (back in those days, m***** probably wasn't a *known* slur...except by Little People). Or did the male surfers make up that name? I never read the book.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I guess I'm odd cause I *love* turtlenecks. Esp the ones that are really snug and high around my neck. Amost all are black, with a few gray, just to be different 🤓

I love them, too, particularly if the necks are snug. I'm one of those people who hate when the necks stretch out and sag. That's uncomfortable to me. I don't like necks that are too wide because I feel like I'm always pulling them back over my bra straps. I have narrow shoulders. I hate boatnecks for that reason and also because, although I love turtlenecks, I hate where boatnecks cross at the bottom of my neck. It bugs me.

1 hour ago, ABay said:

Why do long-sleeved shirts have such short sleeves? They always end up slightly above my wrists. If they start out good, then the sleeves must shrink because they don't end up long enough. And the shirts are almost never long enough to tuck in properly. When I sit down, the tails come out. Of course, it doesn't help that my mother is convinced I wear petite sizes because I'm short. Technically, I'm short enough to wear petite sizes, but my proportions do not fit petite sizes.

• Love 1

I've got a new food preferences peeve: I'm tired of getting lectured for drinking soy milk. The lecturers inevitably talk about how I need to be drinking almond milk. They'll make a face at the mere mention of soy milk. It's starting to feel a little microaggressive -- Chinese people drink a lot of soy milk. It's our thing. Why is there so much judgment? What is wrong with soy milk? 

• Love 1

Of course, it doesn't help that my mother is convinced I wear petite sizes because I'm short. Technically, I'm short enough to wear petite sizes, but my proportions do not fit petite sizes.

My mom did that too because I'm 5'3" the thing is though I have a 33" inseam. If I wore petite sizes my hems would be up over my ankles.