Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Why on earth do all the tilted dish-drying racks and tray things not tilt enough? It’s driving me crazy, I tell you—crazy (and probably being home so much too, as evidenced by the total cabinet and drawer organization spree I've been on lately). I keep trying to invent solutions but hate them all!

My sympathies, @BookWoman56; what I’ve heard sounds terrible for you Texans! What a mess.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

@BookWoman56, I hope you get power soon.  I'm used to bitter cold in Wisconsin (hey, the temp went above zero today!) but I have never not had a working furnace during any cold spell in the winter.  The only time I can remember losing power was when I was a kid, in the great ice storm of March 1976, when some areas were without power for a week.  That was the most beautiful storm ever, but no one would let their kids go outside to play since there were so many wires and tree limbs down everywhere.  At my parents' home, we lost power for only 24 hours.   

People looking in windows reminds me of when I was selling my house about 20 years ago.  My house had a deck in the backyard off the kitchen.  There was a window above the the sink  looking out over the deck.  It was a Sunday morning, I was in the kitchen making breakfast, and this couple who drove by and saw the For Sale sign stopped to look at the house.  They walked around to the back of the house, stepped up on the deck and peered in the window over the sink.  I was standing at the stove, scrambling eggs, when I turned and saw these 2 faces pressed up against the window.  They fled when they realized I was in the kitchen.  By the time I restarted my heart, they had run around to the front of the house and were heading for their car.  I opened the front door and yelled "What the hell do you want?" and they said they wanted to see what the house was like.  I screamed at them "call my freaking realtor!" as I pointed at the For Sale sign with the realtor's name and phone number.  It was only when I went back in the house that I realized I had an eggy spatula in my hand that I brandished as I yelled at them and used to point at the sign.  They never contacted my realtor.  Probably worried that if they decided to buy the house I might bring my spatula to the closing.

• LOL 12
1 hour ago, BookWoman56 said:

Very new pet peeve caused by the last couple of days: Being without power for two days during a winter storm. I am in San Antonio, and we got snow Sunday night. The power went off and on again that night but went out and stayed out starting around 9am. It came back on around 4:30 am today, but only for an hour and nothing since. I’ve been charging my phone in the car. I know there are news stories about this complete clusterfuck, but this to me isn’t some kind of controlled rolling blackouts. It’s absolute chaos, and the date for a return to normal seems to be a moving target. The temperature inside my house was 56 degrees yesterday. I am cool with the occasional 2-3 hour power outage after bad thunderstorms, but this is crazy. 

I'm so sorry. I was born in San Antonio. Stay warm! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BookWoman56 said:

Very new pet peeve caused by the last couple of days: Being without power for two days during a winter storm. I am in San Antonio, and we got snow Sunday night. The power went off and on again that night but went out and stayed out starting around 9am. It came back on around 4:30 am today, but only for an hour and nothing since. I’ve been charging my phone in the car. I know there are news stories about this complete clusterfuck, but this to me isn’t some kind of controlled rolling blackouts. It’s absolute chaos, and the date for a return to normal seems to be a moving target. The temperature inside my house was 56 degrees yesterday. I am cool with the occasional 2-3 hour power outage after bad thunderstorms, but this is crazy. 

It sounds awful!  We're somewhat used to power outages here in the winter but it's usually a few hours at most.  My husband's family was living near Montreal in 1998 when they had the Great Ice Storm.  They were without power for about 3 weeks!  It was hopefully a once in a lifetime experience and hopefully that will be true for you as well.

• Love 1

I'm farther north but caught in the same cold and snow system (farther north than @BookWoman56, but not far enough north to be used to a high of 3 degrees for the day). They asked everyone yesterday to turn their thermostats down and do everything they could to conserve power so we wouldn't have to have rolling blackouts (which would hopefully prevent the entire system going down). They first mentioned it on Saturday and asked people to set the thermostats on 68, don't do laundry, turn off lights, unplug small appliances you aren't using, etc. And then they mentioned it again on Sunday right before announcing that the system (a 13 or 14 state system -- I'm not sure of the exact number) had reached tier 3, which meant rolling blackouts of about an hour each.

You would have thought they'd announced they were going to go door to door and take everyone's first-born child or that they wanted people to set their thermometers at 30. People on Facebook (granted, social media commenters are often crazy) were refusing to turn down their thermostats because they turned them to 68, they would freeze, their pipes would freeze, their pets would freeze, and their children would get sick. And of course they're mad at the city for not giving them much warning about shutting off electricity and refusing to listen when the city says, "Hey, we only got a few minutes warning from the power pool people ourselves. We'd like to give more warning, but we can't."

And it's not like the city has a choice. All the electric utilities that are part of the multistate power pool are told when it reaches tier 3 that they have to cut so much power. It's not the city's fault it's so dadgum cold or that it hasn't stockpiled stuff for it to be this cold. (I don't even know how you'd do that, but people seem to want it.) It's like how they get mad we don't have snowplows. Most years they'd never get used. It'd be a waste of money.

My biggest peeve is that I can't stop reading the comments.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, auntlada said:

You would have thought they'd announced they were going to go door to door and take everyone's first-born child or that they wanted people to set their thermometers at 30.

Given how some people react to being asked to wear a mask, I am not at all surprised by this.

People on Facebook (granted, social media commenters are often crazy) were refusing to turn down their thermostats because they turned them to 68, they would freeze, their pipes would freeze, their pets would freeze, and their children would get sick.

How utterly ridiculous.  I almost always have my heat set at 68 (and it's off overnight, since it never gets truly cold here, and there's no reason to waste energy when the cat and I are perfectly toasty under the covers).  The highest I ever set it is 70.  I certainly understand if people prefer to keep it warmer, but behaving as if having to temporarily switch to 68 is awful is just nuts.

• Love 9

People on Facebook (granted, social media commenters are often crazy) were refusing to turn down their thermostats because they turned them to 68, they would freeze, their pipes would freeze, their pets would freeze, and their children would get sick.

I wasn't sure what 68f was so did a google and it translated to 20c.  I live in Ontario - where we have wintry weather pretty much from end of October to end of March (if we're lucky) and usually very cold temps from December thru February.  Anyway my default setting on the furnace is 18c.  I  go up to 20c only when someone complains.  20c is what I suspect is low average for most people and is certainly not going to freeze pipes, kill pets or make kids sick!  Honest to god I don't get people sometimes I really don't.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I wasn't sure what 68f was so did a google and it translated to 20c.  I live in Ontario - where we have wintry weather pretty much from end of October to end of March (if we're lucky) and usually very cold temps from December thru February.  Anyway my default setting on the furnace is 18c.  I  go up to 20c only when someone complains.  20c is what I suspect is low average for most people and is certainly not going to freeze pipes, kill pets or make kids sick!  Honest to god I don't get people sometimes I really don't.

It's like blaming wind turbines for the power outages in Texas. The natural gas lines are frozen and the state's electrical grids run on natural gas but sure, let's blame on renewable energy cause we don't want to hurt fossil fuel's fee fees.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

It's like blaming wind turbines for the power outages in Texas. The natural gas lines are frozen and the state's electrical grids run on natural gas but sure, let's blame on renewable energy cause we don't want to hurt fossil fuel's fee fees.

YUP (and that's all I'll say on that!).

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Why would they be frozen when further up in northern states I have never heard of frozen gas lines being an issue?  Renewable energy shouldn't be getting a pass either.  If it isn't capable of getting the job done, then there needs to be alternatives.  And that also means getting the job done at an affordable price.

Without getting into too much of a rant, the difference is that TX has its own separate power grid, not connected to other states. It is privatized and deregulated, and they made a conscious choice some time back to ignore recommendations from the feds on precautions to deal with extreme cold. So the pipes that carry fuel for the power grid are not buried as deep as they should be, and as they are in other states subject to federal regulations. The wind turbines supply a fairly small percentage of total energy here, but they also are not required to meet certain extreme weather standards. I am now on day 3 of no power, and the latest rumor is that we might have power by Friday. This is not just down to consumers failing to adjust their thermostats; it’s what happens when TPTB fail to plan for scenarios that were widely predicted and cut corners to increase their profits. 
Meanwhile, I am huddled up with 3 blankets. The food in my fridge has gone bad; salvaging some frozen stuff for my son to grill. I am seriously considering buying a generator, which will not arrive in time for this storm but would be here for the next one. Overall not happy with the situation. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 7

I would politely suggest that rather than buying a generator (cuz they are noisy polluters and potentially extremely dangerous when used without lots and lots and lots of ventilation) that people invest in a free standing wood stove if they live in an area where it gets cold and the power might go out. I was without power for FIVE days all by myself one winter and as long as I could shovel to the woodshed and keep the stove going I had heat and a great place to cook unlike a fireplace (you can make soup, stew, tea, coffee - you name it - on top of a wood stove with your regular cooking pots). A small wood stove (Lopi makes a little one that is super efficient) is not expensive, will only take up a tiny corner of your living room with just one hole poking through the roof or wall and very romantic for those long winter evenings even if the power is on 🙂

Back on topic: People that live in places that get below freezing in the winter on a regular basis and think the grid is infallible. Think ahead, people!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

My lighthearted peeve is this: it's not socially acceptable to eat sauce as a stand alone item. I made some delicious tartar sauce to go with my air fryer fish and chips and I just wanted to eat the rest with a spoon. Frosting? Sure. Ice cream? Sure. Sauce or salad dressing? Nope.

• LOL 11
3 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My lighthearted peeve is this: it's not socially acceptable to eat sauce as a stand alone item. I made some delicious tartar sauce to go with my air fryer fish and chips and I just wanted to eat the rest with a spoon. Frosting? Sure. Ice cream? Sure. Sauce or salad dressing? Nope.

My two year old son would agree with you (only he doesn't know that it isn't socially acceptable yet).  He loves ketchup and hummus and will eat it before eating his regular food unless you mix it in!

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I always tell people carrot sticks are for holding ranch dressing because it's considered rude to lick it off your fingers.

• LOL 9
  • Love 3
18 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My lighthearted peeve is this: it's not socially acceptable to eat sauce as a stand alone item. I made some delicious tartar sauce to go with my air fryer fish and chips and I just wanted to eat the rest with a spoon.

When I "accidentally" make more tartar sauce than I need, eating the rest with a spoon is exactly what I do.  My cat doesn't judge.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 2
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

When I "accidentally" make more tartar sauce than I need, eating the rest with a spoon is exactly what I do.  My cat doesn't judge.

You have a very unusual cat. Our cats judge us for everything.

• LOL 15

Isn't it possible to save food by putting it outside? Preferably in a cooler? When power has gone out in the winter, that was my back up. Fortunately, the longest I've been without electricity ever was 3 days.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Hell, I regard French fries as a ketchup delivery system. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

Meanwhile, I am huddled up with 3 blankets. The food in my fridge has gone bad; salvaging some frozen stuff for my son to grill. I am seriously considering buying a generator, which will not arrive in time for this storm but would be here for the next one. Overall not happy with the situation. 

I’m truly sympathetic for everyone going through all this, but I’m really puzzled- how are you both freezing and your food is going bad?  I’ve been through a week-long power outage in the summer, and between coolers and grills, I don’t think we lost any food. I know not everyone has yards or patios, but can’t you at least put stuff on windowsills?

Edited to add - that was more of a general question - not aimed at the original poster in particular.  And again - hope everyone's safe and warm ASAP!

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My friend once said, out loud, “I would just eat mayonnaise by itself if it was socially acceptable.” Also, I agree (not on mayonnaise but other condiments)—I eat so many things just because of the sauce or dressing! Hoisin for the win!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

The very first time I went to lunch with my college roommate, he got a big bowl of mayonnaise.  Nothing to go with it, just that. I thought he just really liked mayonnaise so just let it go, but thought it was a bit odd.  He goes to take a big bite of it And spits it out immediately......he thought it was vanilla pudding. 

• LOL 13
16 hours ago, ABay said:

Isn't it possible to save food by putting it outside? Preferably in a cooler? When power has gone out in the winter, that was my back up. Fortunately, the longest I've been without electricity ever was 3 days.

We've done that here. One Christmas, we had a power outage and we had all of our milk and other refrigerated stuff in a big cooler on the front porch.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m truly sympathetic for everyone going through all this, but I’m really puzzled- how are you both freezing and your food is going bad?  I’ve been through a week-long power outage in the summer, and between coolers and grills, I don’t think we lost any food. I know not everyone has yards or patios, but can’t you at least put stuff on windowsills?

Edited to add - that was more of a general question - not aimed at the original poster in particular.  And again - hope everyone's safe and warm ASAP!

The temperature inside my house is currently 55 degrees, while the recommended temperature for a fridge is 37-40 degrees. We salvaged what we could to grill, but some items (deli meats and cheeses, etc.) have a definite “off” smell and some other items that probably technically haven’t gone bad still smell weird. When it comes to keeping food at the right temperature, I prefer not to take any chances, although I will keep things like various    barbecue sauces. We were advised not to stick food outside on the patio or whatever, although I don’t remember the rationale for that. This may be paranoia on my part, but my house is close to the edge of my neighborhood, and there is wooded, undeveloped land adjacent. The coyotes are quite active there, and I don’t want to leave stuff outside that would attract smaller wildlife and possibly in turn attract the coyotes or feral hogs.  I can easily replace the food that went bad, and I fully recognize how lucky I am to be able to afford to do so. My biggest regret on the food that has gone bad is that in preparation for the cold weather, I had made a large batch of taco soup. I am also much more used to power outages in hot weather, but at least for me, dealing with the low temperatures and trying to stay warm has left me extremely fatigued on top of what I hope is just regular flu. So, no energy to deal with more aggressively using or storing food. A lot of the roads are closed, closest convenience stores that normally would have ice are closed with no power, and the grocery stores have limited their hours and have very limited stock. Fortunately I keep a lot of non perishable items on hand and have plenty of fresh fruit as well. By Saturday my power should be restored, but the local power company has said it may be Monday for some people. 
ETA: The only cooler I have holds maybe 6 cans of soda, not much help there anyway. WalMart and similar places are mostly sold out of coolers, camp stoves, etc. 

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, BookWoman56 said:

We were advised not to stick food outside on the patio or whatever, although I don’t remember the rationale for that. This may be paranoia on my part, but my house is close to the edge of my neighborhood, and there is wooded, undeveloped land adjacent. The coyotes are quite active there, and I don’t want to leave stuff outside that would attract smaller wildlife and possibly in turn attract the coyotes or feral hogs. 

My local TV station just did a piece on why you shouldn't leave food outside.  They said the main thing was the temperature -- that the outside temp is not consistent, and can fluctuate based on cloud cover, whether it's day or night, etc.  I would have thought about animals, too, but they didn't mention those.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Really sorry for those of you dealing with the storm aftermath.  We had an ice storm here in the Great Lakes region the first of January which resultedin a massive power outage for several days for many.  We were fortunate that ours was only out for 7 or so hours, so no food loss.  Others weren't so fortunate.  I'm not going to fault anyone who isn't "prepared" for such an occurrence.  We are 21st century slaves to the grid.  Not everyone has $200+ Yeti coolers that can hold food at acceptable temps for days on end.  Ice is a premium or flat unavailable.  When outages are widespread, everyone is in the same boat, making it a challenge to find folks who can help out with fridge/freezer space, or the ability to hold cooked food for any length of time.

Hang in there~

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 5

When I was without power for five days it was actively snowing the entire time so I just put my milk, eggs, etc. in plastic bags outside in mounds of snow - I was actually worried about things getting too cold rather than the reverse but it was worth not leaving stuff in the refrigerator to rot (as I was keeping the inside nice and warm with my lovely little wood stove). If it is below 40 degrees outside during the day I would think you would be safe putting stuff outside and if you are worried about critters, do the old camping trick and hang the food in double plastic bags from a tree limb or a reasonable facsimile. My water came from a well there so with no power, no well pump. So I melted snow on the wood stove for washing and flushing the toilet but after five days of no real shower/bath and all that snow shoveling to get to the wood shed I was riper than any ruined food 🙂

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

And my power just went out.  This ice storm is less bad than the one last Saturday, and I did not lose power then. No idea what the problem is today.  So my major peeve is ice storms. And having to use data to surf the web instead of wi-fi, which of course doesn’t work if there’s no electricity to the modem.

My pet peeve of the day: people who post things on FB asking others to repost in support of some cause or disease or whatever and always clinch things with "I am pretty sure and certain I know the ones who will".  I will tell you right now no matter how supportive I may be for whatever you have posted I will never repost anything especially if you are trying to make me feel guilty if I don't!

• Love 15

Now that my area has been covered in snow it's revealed some otherwise hidden facet/s of human nature. Namely, there's a set of wheel tracks where someone seemed to have used our driveway to turn around but even more intriguing is a set of footprints going from said set of  tracks to/from the front window!

OK, I have no problems with others using the driveway to turn around especially to keep their car on the road in these conditions but what justification could there be for walking right up to a stranger's window? These appear to be somewhat small in size so I suppose these could belong to the child of whoever was driving the vehicle but, if that's  the case, then the parents in the car should needed to instruct their child to stay in the car- and mind their own business!

Of course, without any snowfall, it's possible that there are folks who turn around in our driveway and walk up to the front window without our knowledge but I'd like to give the doubt's benefit on that. 

6 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Namely, there's a set of wheel tracks where someone seemed to have used our driveway to turn around but even more intriguing is a set of footprints going from said set of  tracks to/from the front window!

That would creep me out!  We have a lot of snow here so people sneaking around your house is going to be noticed pretty much from December (sometimes earlier) through to end of March (sometimes later).  Anyway we had footprints all around the front of our house and going along the side just last week.  After a minor freak out we realized they must be the footprints of the person who comes to read the gas meter (we heat with natural gas) and similar footprints were noticeable in other yards.  Still for a few minutes there it was definitely a "what the hell" moment and I don't blame you for wondering what's going on!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

My pet peeve of the day: people who post things on FB asking others to repost in support of some cause or disease or whatever and always clinch things with "I am pretty sure and certain I know the ones who will".  I will tell you right now no matter how supportive I may be for whatever you have posted I will never repost anything especially if you are trying to make me feel guilty if I don't!

Or they'll show a picture of a child/infant with a medical disorder whose "only wish in life is to get 100,000 likes." No, shithead, their only wish in life is to get better. And I think those are scams anyways. Not that anyone is stealing my money. But some kind of twisted social experiment.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, topanga said:

Or they'll show a picture of a child/infant with a medical disorder whose "only wish in life is to get 100,000 likes." No, shithead, their only wish in life is to get better. And I think those are scams anyways. Not that anyone is stealing my money. But some kind of twisted social experiment.

They just want those sweet karma points.

• Love 2

It's like those people who accept any friend request and send out multiple ones themselves because they seem to need the validation of an extremely high friend count.  I'm related to a few people who are 'friends' with well over a 1,000 people.  That's a lot of so-called friends!

• Love 5
20 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

I HATE those... or the ones that say "If you care, you WILL repost this".  Oh hell no, I won't.   And I won't lie.. there are some serious repeat offenders that I simply snooze for a while.  If it keeps happening, I might even have been known to unfriend someone, over that shit.   

• Love 6
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I've posted this before, but it is so annoying when you're trying to check Primetimer notifications on your phone. You can easily sign out. I'm often on the forum while waiting at appointments at such. Wish they'd fix this. 

For me it’s the page up arrow   (or whatever it’s called) when I’m on my phone. So many times I’ve hit that thing while scrolling!

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 5

I keep hoping they come up with a mobile app that makes is easy to view as I find it so challenging to view right now.  I tend to mostly only read on either my desktop or laptop computers.  I'd also be willing to pay a small fee to ditch the damn ads.  

• Love 1

Not the biggest, but the most recent pet peeve:

Not being able to cleanly remove the (poorly) perforated opening of an elongated tissue box, ala Puffs.  Drives me to distraction to have it partially tear, no matter how slowly and carefully I remove it.

Yes, I might have OCD, lol.

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Not the biggest, but the most recent pet peeve:

Not being able to cleanly remove the (poorly) perforated opening of an elongated tissue box, ala Puffs.  Drives me to distraction to have it partially tear, no matter how slowly and carefully I remove it.

Yes, I might have OCD, lol.

I hate that. It happens to me often.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

The trick is to push down at the opening of the perforation and keeping the tip of your finger just underneath the cardboard while continuing the down motion while sliding around to the other side of the opening and also turning the box at the halfway mark.

This may work great for tissue boxes but the same design is deeply flawed when it come to sturdier cardboard boxes for other products that assume you are going to do the same thing (I'm looking at you, 20 and 40 lb. cat litter boxes of doom). If you have strong fingers (hopefully with non manicured nails because this would be the death of any styling finger do) you can certainly push the initial perforation in and down as instructed but good luck! getting it back out so you can access the contents of the box.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

The trick is to push down at the opening of the perforation and keeping the tip of your finger just underneath the cardboard while continuing the down motion while sliding around to the other side of the opening and also turning the box at the halfway mark.

Um, but I don't have an engineering degree.  ~sigh~  I'll look into online classes. 

• LOL 3

I also find starting a roll of paper towels annoying,  The outer sheet used to be lightly attached to the roll, but now it seems as if it's epoxied to the roll.  What the hell, Bounty?  Another annoyance:  the seals around the top of a bottle or jar.  There's usually a perforated line on the seal, but first you have to find that perforation and then get it started.  Opening a bottle of salad dressing shouldn't be so difficult.  And the interior seal on some containers once you get the outer seal off is even worse.  I cannot tell you how many times I've pulled on that little flap only to have it tear off with the seal still firmly in place.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

I also find starting a roll of paper towels annoying,  The outer sheet used to be lightly attached to the roll, but now it seems as if it's epoxied to the roll.  What the hell, Bounty?  Another annoyance:  the seals around the top of a bottle or jar.  There's usually a perforated line on the seal, but first you have to find that perforation and then get it started.  Opening a bottle of salad dressing shouldn't be so difficult.  And the interior seal on some containers once you get the outer seal off is even worse.  I cannot tell you how many times I've pulled on that little flap only to have it tear off with the seal still firmly in place.  

Same here. Also those "perforations" are really wimpy, half the time I have to take a knife to them.

• Love 3

I'm enjoying Hello Fresh but the packets of spices, rice, nuts, etc. are impossible to open without scissors or a knife. A couple of ingredients like the stock concentrates tear easily but that's it. And the sour cream packets won't tear neatly so you have to squish it all out or get it all over your fingers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

Another annoyance:  the seals around the top of a bottle or jar.  There's usually a perforated line on the seal, but first you have to find that perforation and then get it started.  Opening a bottle of salad dressing shouldn't be so difficult.  And the interior seal on some containers once you get the outer seal off is even worse.  I cannot tell you how many times I've pulled on that little flap only to have it tear off with the seal still firmly in place.  

Finding that little perforated line is even harder now that I'm older. I have to take my glasses off and hold the bottle practically right next to my eyes to see the perforations.

I hate the inner seals that won't all come off easily so that there's still foil left on the top of the bottle or jar. I know why they don't make it come off easier (I think): so that someone can't take it off and put it back on so that it looks like it was never removed. I still hate it.

• Love 8

Since we're talking about household annoyances, has anyone else had an issue with taking a static-ey load of laundry out of the dryer while wearing earbuds?  OMG I thought I was being tasered.  I don't know why it hasn't been an issue before now.  Maybe this load just had an unusually high amount of fleece or other non-cotton fabrics.  Lesson learned.  Take out the earbuds before unloading the dryer.