Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I wear size 5. I can't ever find shoes at all. I wear boys Adidas.

I'm barely a 5.  Often a 4 1/2.  I bought kids' flip flops to wear at home recently.  

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I never understood IG, I know I'm old and I got into it later than you youngsters but to me it was ALWAYS one big ad. Plus I am not one to view obviously staged and photo shopped pics with envy either. "Influencers" and their ilk make me nauseous and the people who follow them like demigods baffle me. This old lady has learned that 99% of what some  people post on FB (the only platform I still use, albeit scarcely) is complete bullshit, made only to make them feel better about whatever inferiority issue they have or to garner sympathy for whatever 'problem' they are whining about. Yeah, yeah, I'm an outdated curmudgeon, rant over! 🙂 

I went to it kicking and screaming.  Daughter and grands kept telling me I needed an account so that I could "keep track of them".  Don't get me started on that notion.  I finally buckled, followed them of course, only to have them duplicate every.single.post on both IG and FB.  Anyhoo, I followed some RH and cat rescue/foster pages.  I quickly learned that IG was all about the marketing, and basically cut them all out.  

I do think it's somewhat of a generation gap thing, as I don't feel the need to memorialize every moment of my life onto a digital file.  My grands know no other way, going waayy back to MySpace.  I remember when my oldest granddaughter had her highschool senior pictures done.  There had to be 100 proofs, with maybe 5 or 6 clothing changes, venue changes, etc.,  all of which were posted on MySpace.  I just rolled my eyes (in my head) and kept it moving, lol.  My senior pictures were done in a studio, shot from the chest up, with me in two or three poses, one with my hand poetically embracing a fake tree.  My how things change. 

I have literally never posted anything on IG, after probably two or 2.5 years.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I had senior pictures done at school. That's the way my school did them. I suppose some kids may have done separate senior pics, but none of my friends did. It just wasn't a thing.

I used to post on Instagram. I was doing a thing where I tried to post a photo I took every day. I quit because I got tired of it and didn't have time. Also, it was a pain because I wanted to take photos with my actual camera, not my phone, and Instagram is not made for posting from a computer. You can do it, but you have to make it think you're on a phone. It's a pain.

• Love 2

Yesterday, I was moving between floors in my office.  I had a lot of stuff, and I'm too damned lazy to make 2 trips.   As I got out of the elevator, I realized I had dropped my security pass, so I went to grab it before the elevator doors closed.  I got my foot caught in one of the many cords trailing from my armload and went flying.  Because the building is practically empty, there were no witnesses.  But I did see a CCTV camera, so I trust whoever was monitoring that had a good laugh.  The end result - both knees are swollen and bruised, as are both wrists.  I have no concern that anything is broken, but damn it hurts. 

4 hours ago, Quof said:

Yesterday, I was moving between floors in my office.  I had a lot of stuff, and I'm too damned lazy to make 2 trips.   As I got out of the elevator, I realized I had dropped my security pass, so I went to grab it before the elevator doors closed.  I got my foot caught in one of the many cords trailing from my armload and went flying.  Because the building is practically empty, there were no witnesses.  But I did see a CCTV camera, so I trust whoever was monitoring that had a good laugh.  The end result - both knees are swollen and bruised, as are both wrists.  I have no concern that anything is broken, but damn it hurts. 

Is it now that I should give the workplace accident speech?  It would be extremely smart for you to file an accident report, then get yourself checked out by your physician, if you feel safe to do so, just in case.  It would suck to have something crop up as a result, and you don't have an incident report filed, requiring your employer to cover all costs.  Even if nothing comes of it, at least you're covered.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 6

Cereal dust.  I am peeved every time I get to the bottom of a box of cereal, and all the damn dust pours into my bowl with the last of the cereal.  No matter how much effort I give it, I can never keep the dust in the box where it belongs.  I hate cereal dust.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Quof said:

I know it hurts, but you are lucky, believe me.  Last December I fell in my doctors waiting room on the carpet.  My head hit the wall.  I went to Emergency by ambulance and got 35 stitches in and out of my knee.  I fell on both knees.  To this day, my knee still burns and hurts after one year.  Knee injuries are a bitch.  I hope your injury is minor.  I’ve used about one thousand tubes of Neosporin since.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Cereal dust.  I am peeved every time I get to the bottom of a box of cereal, and all the damn dust pours into my bowl with the last of the cereal.  No matter how much effort I give it, I can never keep the dust in the box where it belongs.  I hate cereal dust.

Me too. I pour the last cereal serving from the box into a colander over the kitchen trash can, shake the colander, then empty it into a bowl.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I went to it kicking and screaming.  Daughter and grands kept telling me I needed an account so that I could "keep track of them".  Don't get me started on that notion.  I finally buckled, followed them of course, only to have them duplicate every.single.post on both IG and FB.  Anyhoo, I followed some RH and cat rescue/foster pages.  I quickly learned that IG was all about the marketing, and basically cut them all out.  

I do think it's somewhat of a generation gap thing, as I don't feel the need to memorialize every moment of my life onto a digital file.  My grands know no other way, going waayy back to MySpace.  I remember when my oldest granddaughter had her highschool senior pictures done.  There had to be 100 proofs, with maybe 5 or 6 clothing changes, venue changes, etc.,  all of which were posted on MySpace.  I just rolled my eyes (in my head) and kept it moving, lol.  My senior pictures were done in a studio, shot from the chest up, with me in two or three poses, one with my hand poetically embracing a fake tree.  My how things change. 

@SuprSuprElevated I feel you, my senior pics were taken at school with maybe 5 poses, no clothing changes but I did take off my glasses for half of the photos which pissed off my mom, none of the 'glassless' pics got ordered so I went to a photo studio on my own and got my own pics done. This being the '80s the poses were all super cliche, but hey, I love those pics!

I too got on IG because my daughters, stepkids, niece & nephews all told me they don't post much on FB anymore so if I wanted to see what they had going on I had to sign up. Yuck. I was bored and annoyed within a week. The constant ads, the fake photos, models and dohickey sellers were just not interesting to me. I kept it for about a year but hadn't looked at it in many months.o I finally just deleted IG & Twitter since I have no patience for either. 

• Love 3

The only social media platform I am on is LinkedIn for professional purposes (obviously). I got my last job through a recruiter that found my profile there so it’s been useful for me.  However, there are some people who feel the need to stray off the path of career/work/looking for a job type of posts and post or comment on things like what’s going on in the news (some veering into politics) which prompt other people to leave comments revealing their own political leanings, some of them in a derogatory way using rather salty and abusive language.  I was following some people that I’ve now unfollowed because of this.  

• Love 2
On 12/22/2020 at 9:37 AM, Silver Bells said:

OMG .. the dance with Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen is the best I’ve ever seen, on a par with Fred & Ginger.  I have all of them on dvd.  I watch all year round.  How about the Movie Channel?  I CANNOT take these 3 channel no less of these Sappy Christmas movies with D list actors.  Yuk.  They are all the same.  Boy or girl go home for Christmas and meet up with an old flame in the hardware store or antique shop.  The same three actresses.  Why three channels?

Hallmark, LMN?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

Hallmark, LMN?

Hallmark, Hallmark Mystery, and Lifetime.  Here in N.Y.  Too much if you ask me.  Same 3 actresses .. Danica McKellar, P. Whitt and one other one.  If they were smart, one channel should have all the Christmas movies on, old and new, 24 hrs a day.  Everyone is looking for the old black n whites too and some kiddy ones.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

Hallmark, Hallmark Mystery, and Lifetime.  Here in N.Y.  Too much if you ask me.  Same 3 actresses .. Danica McKellar, P. Whitt and one other one.  If they were smart, one channel should have all the Christmas movies on, old and new, 24 hrs a day.  Everyone is looking for the old black n whites too and some kiddy ones.

And Cozi and UPTV and ION. I hate it!

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

And Cozi and UPTV and ION. I hate it!

I don't get UP anymore, but at least Ion and Cozi aren't 24/7 Christmas movies (since October) like Lifetime and Hallmark.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Candance Cameron Bure does a lot of hallmark movies  too,  and I was flipping through the channels and landed on a hallmark Christmas movie and I see Jodi Sweentin from full house on there. 

• Love 1

Random Bravo TV-related pet-peeve here, but WTF is *up* with the endless “Below Deck” marathons on there every other day?!
Of all the endless old “Real Housewives” shows/seasons they could show, all their other random shows they could play, or even playing marathons of cancelled former Bravo shows, why must they insist on otherwise constantly playing this particular random show non-stop?!

And I can watch “Below Deck” on occasion(aka if I’m bored enough), but I never really could get into the show anyway, so I just don’t understand why Bravo constantly uses it as filler during the day otherwise. It’s not even their most popular show on there.

Like this has gone on for YEARSSSS too; I suppose maybe it’s just cheaper/easier for the network to play that particular series, but good lord is Bravo ever overloading us with that blandassed show.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sun-Bun said:

Random Bravo TV-related pet-peeve here, but WTF is *up* with the endless “Below Deck” marathons on there every other day?!
Of all the endless old “Real Housewives” shows/seasons they could show, all their other random shows they could play, or even playing marathons of cancelled former Bravo shows, why must they insist on otherwise constantly playing this particular random show non-stop?!

And I can watch “Below Deck” on occasion(aka if I’m bored enough), but I never really could get into the show anyway, so I just don’t understand why Bravo constantly uses it as filler during the day otherwise. It’s not even their most popular show on there.

Like this has gone on for YEARSSSS too; I suppose maybe it’s just cheaper/easier for the network to play that particular series, but good lord is Bravo ever overloading us with that blandassed show.

I freakin hate that show Below Deck.  Enough.  Too much cooking, arguing, sleeping together, fighting.  If they showed more of the ports they visit, I would watch.  Interesting places on land would be nice.  Captain Lee is a grouch .. sits there doing nothing but yelling at one of them.  At least Sandy pitches in and helps them.   I’ve been binging on Virgin River on Netflix.  Just switched from Hulu to Netflix.

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Nicmar said:

Candance Cameron Bure does a lot of hallmark movies  too,  and I was flipping through the channels and landed on a hallmark Christmas movie and I see Jodi Sweentin from full house on there. 

Oh yeah, Candance Bure .. and how about Lacy Chabert?  I can’t stand all of them.  Each year the same baloney.  The good ones disappear, like The Christmas List with Mimi Rogers.  The only one I like is “Crown for Christmas” with Danica McKellar.  Scenery is beautiful.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Oh yeah, Candance Bure .. and how about Lacy Chabert?  I can’t stand all of them.  Each year the same baloney.  The good ones disappear, like The Christmas List with Mimi Rogers.  The only one I like is “Crown for Christmas” with Danica McKellar.  Scenery is beautiful.

At least Aunt Becky's going to jail

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 12/20/2020 at 9:03 PM, RealHousewife said:

Women who say they hate girls and don't do female friendships because it's always drama. But then are cool with all kinds of behavior from men and boys and want to befriend all of them. Internalized misogyny much?

Oh my goodness, what a peeve of mine this is too! And some of the people who say this kind of dumb shit seem to do so in order to somehow increase their value to men. I don't even get it. And they also seem to base how "not like other girls" they are by stupid shit like whiskey or burping or not having their nails done and liking sex. Hi, hello--those are far from unique traits from people of any gender. Also, I feel like the ones who say this typically are the drama.

Worst of all, they seem to think they are clever and unique and profound for trotting out this tired, old philosophy! Haha, nope--every incarnation of This Girl that I have ever known over the years has done it!

It's common, and called Morton's Toe. 

Mine is just the slightest bit longer than my first toe, so it generally doesn't cause me any problems.

My BF and I were just last night talking about my too-long second toes! Is there a connection between Morton's Toe and Morton's neuroma (which I also have, though it's been chill and pain-free for a while now).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6
23 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I’m on Facebook but don’t engage.  The only reason I went on is if someone from school or where I worked or a gang from work that I used to ski with are looking for me.  I’m old too, and am reminiscing about the days and people that I had fun with ( even tho I’m married) in those great days in the city and elsewhere.  I saw one of my daughters Facebook page before she cut me off, haha, and all her friends brag about their fabulous lives with a million pictures.  Seems to me it’s just a bragging site.  My other daughter is very private and isn’t on as she would never put pictures of her kids for the world to see.  I guess Facebook is either great or not for some people.  I recently went on, but it’s changed so much that I  don’t even know how to navigate it.  I would love to know how some of my old friends are doing tho.  Male and female.

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

At least Aunt Becky's going to jail

Yes.  It’s probably a country club like Martha Stewart went to.

• Love 3

Seems to me it’s just a bragging site.   

I guess Facebook is either great or not for some people. 

I use it every single day, but I don't see it as any of these descriptors; it just...is. I have a lot of disparate groups of friends, spread all over the place and many of whom I may never have figured out how reconnect with over the years. And who would have likely never have been in the same place or had a conversation all at the same time. I feel like we can kind of do that with Facebook--if I post something, a bunch of these separate entities comment and sometimes we get a funny back-and-forth going. I find it to be a good way to keep in touch and share stuff all in one spot. Ugh, especially now, man.

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I was walking in the backyard in the middle of summer, and where there was a bush there is a huge clump of grass.  I wasn't paying attention and I tripped over it and  I did one of those swimming motion things with my arms trying not to lose my balance and fall on my face.  I didn't fall on my face, but I looked like a damn fool.  I must have traveled 5 yards just trying to regain my balance.

Whenever I read something like this I feel bad that they didn't "Pass GO" and collect $200.00.

For some reason I have board games on my mind lately. 

I love those cookies.  I was able to snag the only two bags they had on the grocery store shelf today.

Lofthouse makes Gingerbread Boy cookies. I haven't tried them yet, but I did buy some.

Speaking of grocery stores, I brought some holiday cupcakes home today and it was a massacre.   They were rolling all around the container they came in.   Frosting everywhere.  Then the genius who was packing the other bag thought that the goal was to shove as much stuff into the bag as possible.  I was not a happy camper.  I can't do two things at once, monitor the cashier to make sure I don't get screwed, and also monitor the dude packing my groceries.

A few weeks ago, my husband and I went food shopping.  He goes one way and I go another.  Then we meet at the register.  I put my stuff on the counter, then he put his on.  I usually pay with my card.  We both pack.  We walk out and the manager is running after us in the parking lot.  WE DIDNT PAY!   I was mortified.  We were so busy packing right, we forgot.  They probably thought we were crooks dressed up as stupid seniors.

• LOL 8

My peeve today is that I’m seeing a grocery store that is gouging. Bacon is $10 for 12 Oz. Hamburger almost $6 lb for Chuck. I know other stores and shop accordingly, but I’m tired of this store getting away with this and the fact that they do not enforce the mask mandates. No I do not want Deli meat from someone who is not facially covered. My issue is that it is closest to my house and they carry products that the other cheaper stores do not. They also get the freshest produce. It annoyed me today. 

• Love 2
On 12/20/2020 at 4:32 PM, Growsonwalls said:

I THINk it's supposed to be a woo-woo enlightened way of saying "I'm here for you."

I even found a flowchart explaining what it's supposed to mean.

spaceholder-for-a-person.jpg

So this confused me even more. I guess I am to old for a personal space holder I will just keep my friends. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, HissyFit said:

Me too. I pour the last cereal serving from the box into a colander over the kitchen trash can, shake the colander, then empty it into a bowl.

Holy chit, a cereal dust hack!  So awesome, lol.

1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

Seems to me it’s just a bragging site.

Exactly why I deactivated my account.  That's exactly what it feels like.  "Here we are on our fabulous vacation", "here's our fabulous house after the remodel", "here's our fabulous new car", "my successfull children just shat truffles"...

On and on and on...

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my goodness, what a peeve of mine this is too! And some of the people who say this kind of dumb shit seem to do so in order to somehow increase their value to men. I don't even get it. And they also seem to base how "not like other girls" they are by stupid shit like whiskey or burping or not having their nails done and liking sex. Hi, hello--those are far from unique traits from people of any gender. Also, I feel like the ones who say this typically are the drama.

Worst of all, they seem to think they are clever and unique and profound for trotting out this tired, old philosophy! Haha, nope--every incarnation of This Girl that I have ever known over the years has done it!

Agree with all of the above! I do know a woman who is actually very feminine and ladylike who says antiwoman stuff and LOVES men. She's a beautiful blonde who doesn't burp, doesn't curse, doesn't try to be one of the guys at all. She finds females to be drama queens who are jealous of her. Because she really is quite pretty, I don't doubt she's experienced some jealousy and cattiness from women, I just don't buy that we're all so bad she can't have friendships with ANY women? There are lots of beautiful, confident women out there. My hunch is she enjoys the attention she gets from men and hates sharing it. She is sensitive when it comes to harmless things women say, but the only men who she doesn't like are the ones who are complete assholes. She also calls out other women when she thinks they're being flirtatious and inappropriate, but she flirts herself despite being married. She's nice to me, but I make a point to always be nice as I can and am quite careful with what I say around her because of her feelings toward females. 

• Love 3

But why is sharing a photo of a vacation or a kid “bragging”? I don’t get it. Is it bragging in actual conversation at a gathering (which...what are those?!). Am I bragging when I show a photo of a cool vintage find or of my cats or a super-cool coffee mug (to me, anyway—likely completely inconsequential to anyone else) or an accomplishment or an art project? It’s probably only bragging if the people you see are people who are prone to bragging. To the rest of us, it’s “hey, check this out!” I like seeing the stuff that makes my friends happy. Or mad, haha—there’s been a whole lot of that this year too!

ETA: Weird timing! My friend just posted that a short story he wrote was selected for a horror anthology!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

But why is sharing a photo of a vacation or a kid “bragging”? I don’t get it. Is it bragging in actual conversation at a gathering (which...what are those?!). Am I bragging when I show a photo of a cool vintage find or of my cats or a super-cool coffee mug (to me, anyway—likely completely inconsequential to anyone else) or an accomplishment or an art project? It’s probably only bragging if the people you see are people who are prone to bragging. To the rest of us, it’s “hey, check this out!” I like seeing the stuff that makes my friends happy. Or mad, haha—there’s been a whole lot of that this year too!

I guess we are all products of our own experiences.  What is annoying to me isn't to you, and all of that.

• Love 9

Oh, I understand that—I’m just saying that a showing a photo of a vacation to your friends isn’t in and of itself bragging.

For instance—and back to peeves—for whatever reason, I get annoyed when people post too many selfies in which they look exactly the same every time, even though it affects me not at all! Like at least put on an interesting hat or something, haha!

Also a peeve, people who are able to take a decent selfie (also also a peeve: the word “selfie”). I am not a big selfie-taker but I wish I could get the hang of it when I bother. So, I guess my peeve is me in this regard.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

ETA: Weird timing! My friend just posted that a short story he wrote was selected for a horror anthology!

I think it’s great to see kids on vacation or pets and such, but I’ve seen feeds of people that go way overboard with a million pictures all the time.   That’s all they do, and thats boring.  Then the same comments all the time like “ you are George out or you look beautiful”, when they aren’t.  That’s what I mean.  Some people put their daily things they do on Facebook.  They are the ones that are prone to bragging.  Not the sharing of vacations or of cute pets or an accomplishment.  I meant “ gorgeous” up there.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Next time I come across one of those people, I shall comment, “you are George out”! Let them try to figure out if I am complimenting them or not!

That’s when I type too fast.  I don’t know how to correct mid sentence.  Plus, why doesn’t auto correct do it’s job, lol.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

My gut instinct is that the “bragging” part of it is mostly reserved for those people who use FB and other social media to pretend their lives are completely perfect, with no posts related to more normal activities or the occasional stumble. All their vacations are expensive jaunts to exotic places, all kids make great grades while excelling at sports and being extremely popular with their peers, all spouses get major promotions and wildly successful careers, and their houses and yards are always spotless and gorgeous. There’s never any post to say that anything might possibly be less than perfect. 

That said, though, I would rather read a gazillion bragging posts than the ones where a couple or a family decide to argue over something or air their grievances with each other. At least I can snark about the bragging posts, but the family drama exhibitionists make me want to throw things over the stupidity. 

• Love 4

Holy hell, once I saw a couple (in their 40s, lest you think I am talking about seventh graders) air their nasty, private grievances against each other on Facebook after a breakup! The mutual friends were adding comments and taking sides and saying all kinds of shit. And not too long after, they got back together! How do you proceed after that? Do the friends who chimed in then act as if they like whichever significant other they were denigrating and play nice at parties? Does the reunited "happy couple" magically forget that all their friends read the things they said about each other for others to see? That shit is weird.

They're not together anymore.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Holy hell, once I saw a couple (in their 40s, lest you think I am talking about seventh graders) air their nasty, private grievances against each other on Facebook after a breakup! The mutual friends were adding comments and taking sides and saying all kinds of shit. And not too long after, they got back together! How do you proceed after that? Do the friends who chimed in then act as if they like whichever significant other they were denigrating and play nice at parties? Does the reunited "happy couple" magically forget that all their friends read the things they said about each other for others to see? That shit is weird.

They're not together anymore.

Omg. This reminds me. I taught a student (beautiful, beautiful girl, beautiful soul) who was in an abusive relationship and I could always "tell" when her abusive boyfriend had come around because posts on her FB went from her normal, funny self to "___ is my king! My hero!" and all that crap. It was creepy. She had a kid with him but finally broke away from him when he went to jail and she moved out of state. She literally booked a flight the day he was sentenced. 

But getting back to pet peeves: I have a friend who is a very ardent feminist and I respect her for that. But she always chides people for spelling "women." She insists it should be "wombyns." She also gets mad if people say things like "priestess" and instead it should be "priestexx" and other gender neutral terms. History should be "herstory." I understand her POV but it's getting to be very bossy to get those constant "reminders" of how these words should be spelled.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
32 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Omg. This reminds me. I taught a student (beautiful, beautiful girl, beautiful soul) who was in an abusive relationship and I could always "tell" when her abusive boyfriend had come around because posts on her FB went from her normal, funny self to "___ is my king! My hero!" and all that crap. It was creepy. She had a kid with him but finally broke away from him when he went to jail and she moved out of state. She literally booked a flight the day he was sentenced. 

But getting back to pet peeves: I have a friend who is a very ardent feminist and I respect her for that. But she always chides people for spelling "women." She insists it should be "wombyns." She also gets mad if people say things like "priestess" and instead it should be "priestexx" and other gender neutral terms. History should be "herstory." I understand her POV but it's getting to be very bossy to get those constant "reminders" of how these words should be spelled.

Oh wow, I am so sorry to hear that about your student. I hope she is doing okay. 

I'm sure your friend means well, but things like that give feminists a bad name. 

• Love 4

New day, new peeve. I suppose I should be grateful that these people have given me any sort of gift, but when you've known me for nearly 30 years, you should know I don't drink coffee, or shop at Walmart, or eat any type of nuts.  Please do not give me a Starbucks gift card, a Walmart gift card, or a jar of peanuts your church was selling as a fund raiser.  

I have no idea what I'm going to do with these things.  

Starbucks has tea too. And cookies. Donate the Walmart card to someone who can use it and give the nuts to the neighbor?

My mom is the queen of inappropriate gifts. This year she sent me a scarf and these wrist warmers that are fashionable in Germany where it gets just a little uncomfortable in the winter. They have no fingers and are the exact opposite of what's needed in the Canadian prairies where I've lived now for 7 years. And always the wrong color. My whole adult life, I've worn warm colors for good reason. No, I get a cold turquoise kind of blue.

Last year, leggings with flower print. Never in my life have I worn anything with flowers on it. At least they are warm.

I love her but she's made bad gifts an artform.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

With every customer factored in they probably still came out ahead.

In the old days, at least at one department store, I knew for a fact the people running register had to be real accurate, both ways.  They might be allowed to be a few cents off either way, but if they were off by a dollar or two when they closed out their registers, they lost their job.

Now, when I go to the grocery store, more often then not, I get royally screwed, and not in the good way.  For example, there was a special on cauliflower, and the person running register rung it up as one cauliflower and one broccoli.   Things that were supposed to ring up on sale wouldn't always ring up on sale.   Sometimes they would punch in the wrong codes.   I get it, it can be a high pressure job with long lines, and with everything going on, the stress is probably ten fold, but they need to do better.

I know with my anxiety that I couldn't do that job.  I would rather be a wallflower than the center of attention.

I couldn’t do that job either.  Sometimes in certain stores you will see a really old lady at the register.  Probably has to work as Social Security is not enough.  Then, you have young kids at a drive thru taking orders and handling the money.  I give them both credit.  I couldn’t do it either.  People yell at them too.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

New day, new peeve. I suppose I should be grateful that these people have given me any sort of gift, but when you've known me for nearly 30 years, you should know I don't drink coffee, or shop at Walmart, or eat any type of nuts.  Please do not give me a Starbucks gift card, a Walmart gift card, or a jar of peanuts your church was selling as a fund raiser.  

I have no idea what I'm going to do with these things.  

I find choosing gifts very stressful .. every year.  It’s the usual pajamas, slippers, flannel shirts, sweaters that don’t fit, blah, blah.  Today is Christmas Eve and the husband just asked me “ do you like Chanel #5?  Haha, he does this every year. Last minute.  Go to CVS tonight and you will see all men scampering around for gifts.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Me too. The only people who get gifts are my parents. I don't get it. It's not fun for anyone to get bad gifts or run to a store desperately trying to find something. I guess there are people who enjoy the process but I'm not one of them. 

• Love 4