Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I've never heard anyone say this. Is it regional?

No it;s more a common jargon among certain types of New Agey people.

https://www.theflourishingpantry.com/home/2018/5/11/what-the-hell-is-a-space-holder-and-should-i-call-myself-one

https://heatherplett.com/2015/03/hold-space/

But recent;y it's been creeping into every day vocabulary. We had a PD about it at our school.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, auntlada said:

I googled "space holder" after starting to read one of those links and deciding I was never going to make it through the essay/blog post. I read a definition and still don't understand what it is.

I THINk it's supposed to be a woo-woo enlightened way of saying "I'm here for you."

I even found a flowchart explaining what it's supposed to mean.

spaceholder-for-a-person.jpg

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

when people use the term "personal space holders" instead of "friend."

I do enjoy Ron Swanson's Workplace Proximity Associate to describe one's coworkers. Because, no, you are not my friends.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I THINk it's supposed to be a woo-woo enlightened way of saying "I'm here for you."

I even found a flowchart explaining what it's supposed to mean.

spaceholder-for-a-person.jpg

I was originally thinking that "space holder" was someone you hung out with when your actual friends weren't available, and I didn't know why anyone would want to be that.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, auntlada said:

I was originally thinking that "space holder" was someone you hung out with when your actual friends weren't available, and I didn't know why anyone would want to be that.

I thought it meant "someone to stand in line for you while you go get tickets" or something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
48 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Situational friends aren't friends, they are doormats.

That's what I mean. Apparently people are choosing to call themselves "space holders," and based on what my first impression of the term was, I didn't know why they would want to be that.

• Love 7

I've not heard of someone calling themselves a spaceholder, but I've absolutely heard of "holding space for [fill in the blank]," as in making a forum or social media account a "safe space" for marginalized people, for example—where their needs/voices are heard and not judged, unlike in the public at large. The world in general and social media are often extremely oppressive and exhausting for marginalized people, so having a space to be "safe" in is vital for mental health.

That diagram makes it seem twee, when it's not at all. It's simply being supportive and nonjudgmental to people with specific needs.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Another holiday season, and still I can't find Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol, on television anywhere.  It has been this way for years upon years.   With all of the repetitive holiday movies and cartoons, and they can't find a way to put that back on the air?

I really do miss "razzleberry dressing".

I don't consider any of the WIlly Wonka type movies, holiday movies.  I can tolerate the original, but that is about it.  Still, I don't consider that a holiday movie.   Those have been aired quite frequently lately.

I don't either. Where are the classic movies from the golden age of Hollywood? I would watch those but I hate the modern remakes. They don't have any heart. Ever since our stupid cable company took away TCM, there are no good holiday movies any more. YMMV.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Some people didn't have friends and had no choice but be that.   I call them situational friends.  I have posted about that earlier in this thread, I think.  A really popular person who invited you over to hang out.  Then they get calls to go somewhere and they bail on you.   Then they say they feel bad, about it, but they know you have no other options ("friends")  and will come right back and let you be that place holder until they get another call to run off and go somewhere else.   It is humiliating, degrading, and not fun at all.  Trust me I ought to know.

Then when you are in school together they barely acknowledge your existence, but when no one else is around and they have no other options they become your best bud.   Then when you talk to them when they become adults and ask them out of the blue, "If they have had any regrets in life?", and they answer, "No,  everything that happened was meant to happen."  That tells you all you need to know about a certain segment of society.  People who except no responsibility for treating others like garbage.  Again as I have said in the past.   "The blaze your own trail, live your own life", type of individuals who have no capacity to "walk a mile in another person's shoes".    The dude I knew never lost any friends over it.   They still kiss his feet whenever he comes back to our old hometown.  I haven't talked to him in more than twenty years.   Situational friends aren't friends, they are doormats.

As a side note, I know I butchered the previous paragraph, but I did the best I could.

I think what is worse is watching an entire season of BB when people refuse to play the game, and one by one they get booted from the house.  Also  (and this applies to the world we live in as well as BB) people who get all upset with the way they have been treated, but accept no accountability for treating others like crap.   And in the case of BB get rewarded for it.

Last year during the holidays I stocked up on Cinnamon Coke.   That stuff was/is awesome.  I can't find it anywhere this year.  I did find Orange Vanilla Coke.  I haven't tried that yet.

Cinnamon Coke is the best!

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Another holiday season, and still I can't find Mister Magoo's Christmas Carol, on television anywhere.  It has been this way for years upon years.   With all of the repetitive holiday movies and cartoons, and they can't find a way to put that back on the air?

I don't consider any of the WIlly Wonka type movies, holiday movies.  I can tolerate the original, but that is about it.  Still, I don't consider that a holiday movie.   Those have been aired quite frequently lately.

Trading Places is considered a holiday movie

• Love 1
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

It’s on iTunes for purchase.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen it anywhere myself.  Years ago they’d show the Peanuts Christmas show, Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman every year but never Mister Magoo.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

There can be a whole thread on social media pet peeves. But for now I'll focus on one: I just unfollowed one of my very favorite dancers bc her feed was nonstop plugging this line of leotards. When your IG is just one long infomercial ...

Yeah, I have abandoned nearly all of my non family and non cat-related IG accounts for this reason.  Everywhere we turn, we are being sold something.  I fully expect the streets we drive and the sidewalks we walk upon to be sponsored sooner than later.  Wait...

• Love 3
8 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Did you look on demand in the Children’s Christmas movies?  I found “Emits Jug Band” on there after looking everywhere.  My kids are married adults and they still like the movies when they were kids.  That would be the Only place it may be.

• Useful 1

I called Pepperidge Farm this morning and said I can’t find the 5 Ounce package of Gingerman cookies with the sugar on top.  Amazon has them for triple the price.  The rep, who sounded disinterested said they were discontinued.  What?????  Before Christmas?  All they are selling is the Family package without the sugar on top.  I’m disgusted and won’t pay Amazon $21 for two 5oz bags.  They have some nerve.

9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't either. Where are the classic movies from the golden age of Hollywood? I would watch those but I hate the modern remakes. They don't have any heart. Ever since our stupid cable company took away TCM, there are no good holiday movies any more. YMMV.

I keep looking for the classics from long ago-- White Christmas & Holiday Inn. The dancing by Danny Kaye in WC, and by Fred Astaire in HI is so outstanding. We have TCM but they're not showing the Xmas oldies. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

I called Pepperidge Farm this morning and said I can’t find the 5 Ounce package of Gingerman cookies with the sugar on top.  Amazon has them for triple the price.  The rep, who sounded disinterested said they were discontinued.  What?????  Before Christmas?  All they are selling is the Family package without the sugar on top.  I’m disgusted and won’t pay Amazon $21 for two 5oz bags.  They have some nerve.

Discontinued!! Oh no! I got one 5oz bag end of November and was looking forward to getting another in Dec. None to be found. I agree it is a total rip off on Amazon and they are just about sold out...

Edited by Gramto6
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

La...la...

La-la-la-la-la...

La...la...

La-la-la-la-la...

La...la...

La-la-la-la-la....

We're just blankety-blank-blank

No good!

• LOL 2
16 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Ok totally unrelated: does anyone else have a foot shape where your second toe is very long and thin and longer than all your other toes? Because that's my foot. And I always develop a hole in that area of the sock as a result. 

It's common, and called Morton's Toe. 

Mine is just the slightest bit longer than my first toe, so it generally doesn't cause me any problems.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

My left second toe is noticeably longer than the toes on that foot. Same with my right one although it's shorter than the left second toe. When I buy shoes, I go by my left foot and have to make sure there is enough room for that toe. 

I blame my father. I inherited his feet.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

Ok totally unrelated: does anyone else have a foot shape where your second toe is very long and thin and longer than all your other toes? Because that's my foot. And I always develop a hole in that area of the sock as a result. 

Yep.  I swear that toe is about as long as my pinky finger!  Has really caused problems through the years with shoes/corns, etc.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, supposebly said:

My left second toe is noticeably longer than the toes on that foot. Same with my right one although it's shorter than the left second toe. When I buy shoes, I go by my left foot and have to make sure there is enough room for that toe. 

I blame my father. I inherited his feet.

My left one is also the bigger culprit.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
6 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Ooh my feet are a pet peeve of mine too! My love of high heels and injuries have caused my toes to look like sausages. I envy women with small and beautiful feet. I'm always self-conscious of my toes.

I wear size 5. I can't ever find shoes at all. I wear boys Adidas.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I keep looking for the classics from long ago-- White Christmas & Holiday Inn. The dancing by Danny Kaye in WC, and by Fred Astaire in HI is so outstanding. We have TCM but they're not showing the Xmas oldies. 

OMG .. the dance with Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen is the best I’ve ever seen, on a par with Fred & Ginger.  I have all of them on dvd.  I watch all year round.  How about the Movie Channel?  I CANNOT take these 3 channel no less of these Sappy Christmas movies with D list actors.  Yuk.  They are all the same.  Boy or girl go home for Christmas and meet up with an old flame in the hardware store or antique shop.  The same three actresses.  Why three channels?

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Discontinued!! Oh no! I got one 5oz bag end of November and was looking forward to getting another in Dec. None to be found. I agree it is a total rip off on Amazon and they are just about sold out...

My daughter ordered 2 bags for me in November from Amazon.  I was pissed that it cost $21.  I ate the 2 bags in one week.  BTW, love your name.  I’m a Gram of six also.  Too bad I won’t see them for Christmas as we all are staying in our own houses.  We will exchange gifts in the driveways for a couple of minutes.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

OMG .. the dance with Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen is the best I’ve ever seen, on a par with Fred & Ginger.  I have all of them on dvd.  I watch all year round.  How about the Movie Channel?  I CANNOT take these 3 channel no less of these Sappy Christmas movies with D list actors.  Yuk.  They are all the same.  Boy or girl go home for Christmas and meet up with an old flame in the hardware store or antique shop.  The same three actresses.  Why three channels?

Yup...sappy movies that I'd have liked as a preteen. The 1940's movies' stories aren't much better *but* they've got the incredible dancing, music, and singing. 

• Love 4

According to a search on Roku, White Christmas is available on Netflix, and can be rented for $2.99 or $3.99 on Fandango, Redbox, Vudu, Amazon Prime, Google Play, Row8 (?), and Apple TV.  Holiday Inn can be rented for $9.99 on Google Play, Apple TV, Redbox, Fandango, and Vudu. Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol is free on Peacock and can be rented for $3.99 on Vudu and Fandango,

• Love 3
11 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I bought Holiday in Handcuffs and The Christmas List with Mimi Rogers on e-bay.  They might have oldies.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

100% cosign this. And they take away decent programming like Frasier, Monk and on ION, all my fav. L&I shows. Screw that. ONE Christmas made for TV dreck channel is plenty.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yeah, I have abandoned nearly all of my non family and non cat-related IG accounts for this reason.  Everywhere we turn, we are being sold something.  I fully expect the streets we drive and the sidewalks we walk upon to be sponsored sooner than later.  Wait...

I never understood IG, I know I'm old and I got into it later than you youngsters but to me it was ALWAYS one big ad. Plus I am not one to view obviously staged and photo shopped pics with envy either. "Influencers" and their ilk make me nauseous and the people who follow them like demigods baffle me. This old lady has learned that 99% of what some  people post on FB (the only platform I still use, albeit scarcely) is complete bullshit, made only to make them feel better about whatever inferiority issue they have or to garner sympathy for whatever 'problem' they are whining about. Yeah, yeah, I'm an outdated curmudgeon, rant over! 🙂 

Edited by BexKeps
spelling....
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

100% cosign this. And they take away decent programming like Frasier, Monk and on ION, all my fav. L&I shows. Screw that. ONE Christmas made for TV dreck channel is plenty.

And Columbo .. my all time favorite.  Lol

• Love 4

Oh boy, I'm feeling quite curmudgeonly today. I'm really unhappy with my new physical therapy practice. It started out fine two weeks ago, but the last two times I've gone, the therapists are chitchatting with each other and sometimes with a patient. And they all have loud, sharp voices. So, once I start doing those exercises where you do 3 sets, 30 seconds each, I'm having a hard time counting/concentrating on my own business, while having to hear about the crap in their lives. It's so unprofessional. MrP914 suggests I speak to someone about it but I have no idea who the mgr is, & really, I just want to finish my time there (& never return!) All four therapists seem immature when in the same big room together. *But* I am getting better (yay!!) so my therapist must be doing something right. Three more weeks & I'm done!

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, how could I leave that out? I love Columbo.

I could go on and on, haha.  My favorite Colombo is with Janet Leigh, the movie star, and Brenda Vacarro, when her sister is killed.  I just love looking at the houses they live in and the scenery of everything.  I taped those two episodes.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

I could go on and on, haha.  My favorite Colombo is with Janet Leigh, the movie star, and Brenda Vacarro, when her sister is killed.  I just love looking at the houses they live in and the scenery of everything.  I taped those two episodes.

My favorite is No Time To Die. Where Columbo's nephew is getting married and the bride gets kidnapped. They do in real time and the bride basically just about rescues herself.  

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I wear 5.5 and can get shoes at Macy's and Talbot's. Also, I order espadrilles from Tom's and they always fit (love my cute espadrilles!) All 3 of these sites have size 5 shoes.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

16 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

On my way to their website. Thanks!

Zappos has a shop by size filter with almost 20k results for size 5 and 5.5 and Nordstrom has 8000 results (1300 results for sneakers). And fun fact about Nordstrom, they will price match if you can find a lower price.

• Useful 3