Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

23 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I once got a perm at beauty college. Speaking of spooky.

I value the few strands I have left, there is no way anyone is going to touch those.  If I combed by back hair forward it would look like I have a full head of hair.  Yeah, I know TMI. 

I know I got all cranky in a previous post or two.  I am just highly annoyed and frustrated at the moment.  It will pass.  I apologize for being a grumpy goose.  There isn't a grumpy good emoji so I will just post a swan. 🦢

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I apologize for being a grumpy goose.  There isn't a grumpy good emoji

Will this do?

image.png.5293b204fdf02fb3074b75912de5bfdb.png

• Laugh 8

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I value the few strands I have left, there is no way anyone is going to touch those.  If I combed by back hair forward it would look like I have a full head of hair.  Yeah, I know TMI. 

I know I got all cranky in a previous post or two.  I am just highly annoyed and frustrated at the moment.  It will pass.  I apologize for being a grumpy goose.  There isn't a grumpy good emoji so I will just post a swan. 🦢

Haha, grumpy goose. I have been an aggro alpaca for the last two days.

• Like 1

Podcast peeve: Movie podcasts that take 10, 15, or even 20 minutes to start talking about the movie. I guess maybe long time listeners may enjoy the "witty" banter of the hosts, but I'm just interested in a movie discussion. 

Also, if you're going to do a podcast about a 50 year old classic movie like Rosemary's Baby - maybe consider glancing at the Wikipedia page before starting the podcast. That way you'll know little details like the character names, and that it was first a book, keeping you from saying stupid things like:

"Did you guys notice that Roman Polanski combined his and John Cassavetes names to name the head witch?"

No, sweetie, Cassavetes and Castevet are two entirely different names. And Ira Levin named him, not garbage person Polanski.

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Like 6

Today's pet peeve is living in an older house that needs what seems like constant maintenance and repair.  I know that even new houses can be lemons or have problems (unless custom built with the homeowner's input into every detail--which I'm sure rarely happens), but living in a 1964 ranch-style home can be a pain sometimes.  Just when I get one thing taken care of, something else breaks, leaks, fizzles out, etc.  This morning I noticed that there seemed to be some water along the baseboard of one wall of the bathroom near the tub (the 'outside' wall with the window).  I know that happens now and then when the shower splashes around the shower curtain, but it did seem odd.  When I turned on the shower, the faucet felt a little loose and there was little water pressure coming out of the showerhead.  I went ahead and took the quickest most 'frugal' shower ever and did some checking.  I also found water outside coming out and pooling on the patio a few feet down from where the bathroom would be located inside the house.  Rats, rats, rats!  I went ahead and went to work because it didn't look like the water was continuing to flow, but got nervous and came home a couple of hours later to take a look. The water on the patio had dried up, so it doesn't look like there's a continuing leak, but I definitely have a leak somewhere when I turn on the faucet in the main bathroom.  I also discovered that the floor along the hallway (outside the hall bathroom) was wet right near the wall, which led me to first think that the A/C drain pipe was clogged up (another occasional problem), but when I checked, it seemed fine.  The water seems to be coming from the wall where I think the leak might be and just followed the line of least resistance which is along that wall into the hallway (since it seems to be limited to just those several feet in that area).  I tested the hall bathroom shower by letting it run for a few minutes and the pressure seemed fine and there was no sign of water outside, so I'm thinking (hoping) that it's limited to the area of the main tub.  Still a pain and probably costly to fix, but at least it's not all drains, fixtures, etc.  

It's always something.

• Sad 2

I feel your pain @BooksRule, last year I moved into a home that was originally built as a garage in the early 1900's, and then was (poorly) converted into a small 900 sq ft home. Unfortunately previous owners were not kind to it, did some really shoddy 'upgrades' (added plugs with no grounding, $1,500 fix), left other things to rot (original windows with the rope pulley thingy, $8,000 fix) and ignored other issues (trees growing unmanaged close to the house, $5,000 fix, roots growing into the sewer pipe $1,400 fix). So I have spent the last 18 months working through the most important problems, which also happen to be the most expensive. I still have to deal with new flooring and new kitchen & bathroom cabinets & sinks, but I love the house and feel it has a lot of potential to be an adorable, homey little house which is why I am willing to spend the money.  

It is always something.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2020 at 2:46 PM, Bastet said:

Bissell makes good carpet cleaners, and Costco has good prices on them.  I think if you use one of its ubiquitous coupons (especially if combined with a sale), Bed Bath & Beyond is another good option.  (I got mine at Costco; I only have carpet in one room, but I'd rather clean it myself.)

Make sure you use an enzyme-based cleaner (e.g. Anti-Icky Poo [I know, terrible name, but good product] or Nature's Miracle) rather than a carpet shampoo; otherwise, while you won't smell pee anymore, your cat still will, and will return to the scene of the crime.  And, given the condition you describe, soak the ever-loving hell out of the carpet and let it sit (so it can penetrate the pad and sub-floor).

(Have you had kitty checked for a UTI, to make sure it's not a new medical issue causing the wayward peeing problem?)

Good luck, and best wishes for your cat.

Planet urine is good also! you can get it on their website Planeturine.com or buy it from amazon

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

On 10/11/2020 at 4:14 PM, GaT said:

He won't buy a carpet cleaner because "we won't use it & we'll have to find someplace to store it". I have tried to explain that the reason we would buy it would be so we can use it, but he is just being blind to it. 

Kitty is also diabetic, so we think that may have something to do with it. We give her an insulin shot twice a day, but that's pretty much all we can do.

you can rent a carpet cleaner from the grocery store

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

you can rent a carpet cleaner from the grocery store

He goes into the grocery store once a week, 8:00 AM Sunday morning fully masked & gloved & paranoidly watching how far away other people stay. There is no way he's going to go back to the store to interact with people to rent an unsterilized machine. Plus, we both have sport cars which we wouldn't be able to fit the machine in anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GaT said:

He goes into the grocery store once a week, 8:00 AM Sunday morning fully masked & gloved & paranoidly watching how far away other people stay. There is no way he's going to go back to the store to interact with people to rent an unsterilized machine. Plus, we both have sport cars which we wouldn't be able to fit the machine in anyway.

buy one from amazon i'm pretty sure they are not expensive like the  Bissel spot bot.

48 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

buy one from amazon i'm pretty sure they are not expensive like the  Bissel spot bot.

I think OP said there were storage issues.

• Like 1

My pet peeve today is Halloween candy, specifically Whoppers, and more spefcifically the impossible-to-open wrappers on the "fun size" ones that come in variety packs. All the other candies unwrap as nature and Hershey intended, but the freaking Whoppers wrappers are designed from some anti-candy eater material and sealed with superglue.

• Laugh 9

20 minutes ago, ABay said:

My pet peeve today is Halloween candy, specifically Whoppers, and more spefcifically the impossible-to-open wrappers on the "fun size" ones that come in variety packs. All the other candies unwrap as nature and Hershey intended, but the freaking Whoppers wrappers are designed from some anti-candy eater material and sealed with superglue.

Are these the tube packages with three Whoppers in them? I always squeeze below the top Whopper, pushing it up and out of the package. You do have to be careful where you are pointing the package when you do that, unless you don't care about picking up the Whopper off the floor and eating it anyway.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ABay said:

Nature knows that Whoppers are gross. I stand by whoever designed the wrapper to protect the unsuspecting public.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

24 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Nature knows that Whoppers are gross. I stand by whoever designed the wrapper to protect the unsuspecting public.

Sir or madam! I beg to differ!  Whoppers are indeed yummy.  

Sorry, that’s all I got. 

• Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Halloween pet peeve mini thread:  Name the candy that disgusts you the most, I'll start...

It's a tie between candy corn and circus peanuts.  I couldn't possibly choose.

• Like 6

I'll second the circus peanuts. Candy corn is...okay, but yeah, not something I'd eat regularly. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Halloween pet peeve mini thread:  Name the candy that disgusts you the most, I'll start...

Tootsie Rolls, especially the assorted flavor ones. Right in the trash with them.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Candy corn tastes like wax and nightmares. Truly vile.

But it's only marginally worse than that "candy" in orange or black wrappers. It just appears at Halloween. No one actually buys it or eats it.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Candy corn tastes like wax and nightmares. Truly vile.

But it's only marginally worse than that "candy" in orange or black wrappers. It just appears at Halloween. No one actually buys it or eats it.

I think I know what you mean.  Like a taffy or something?

• Like 2

The stuff in the orange and black wrappers is a peanut butter candy.  Very chewy.  They're okay if you are craving sweets and that's all there is, but I don't buy them on purpose.  Candy corn is okay, but I like the candy pumpkins better (they have a little more flavor).  Circus peanuts have an odd texture to me, so I don't like them.  I don't like anything licorice, so I guess that's my icky choice.  

Peeve:  It's the middle of October, and it has still been in the upper 80s around here.  I hate that my A/C is still coming on way too much (even when I have it turned up to 78).  But, cooler weather is on the way and it's been cooler at night, so the days of running the A/C constantly are coming to a close (unless we have one of those ridiculous 'heat waves' near Christmas!).

• Like 5

Harvest Mix season is my favorite season! But only Brach's. The rest can die a waxy faux candy corn impersonation death.

Circus peanuts taste like packing foam looks and black licorice is the worst.

ca8844958c7127a47b87faeef32c265b.jpg

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 8

It feels very much like fall where I am. All chilly, and there's even talk of rain and snow showers this weekend and early next week, which I'm personally quite happy about. 

It's also been windy as hell, which is probably my big weather pet peeve right now. I don't mind a bit of wind in and of itself, but it'd be nice to not feel like I'm fighting against it when I go outside to, say, check the mail or something :p. I will say that hearing the wind howl late at night definitely helps put me in the spooky Halloween mood, though :D. 

• Like 1

I wish we were getting fall weather. It's still in the 90s here and even at night there is no wind or breeze. I am craving some relief from the unbearable heat.

Anyway, I agree with all those that say candy corn is gross.  I also think Snickers and Reeses are disgusting. Milky Ways, Almond Joy, and Mounds are my go-to candies.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Harvest Mix season is my favorite season! But only Brach's. The rest can die a waxy faux candy corn impersonation death.

I love Smarties. Pure sugar. Yummy.

Necco wafers taste like antacid. Raisins are the devil's candy. Disgusting.

Everything else in that picture is some form of wax, and you can't convince me otherwise.

• Like 2

To tie this back into peeves mine is aging related and that my body can't process the junk food like it used to. I loved those wax sugar bottles as a kid. And pixie stix and smarties. Now? I'll get down with a roll of smarties if it's in a Halloween dish at the office (prior years) and would feel like shit after.

• Sad 1

Ugh, Necco wafers and boxes of raisins were the worst.

We finally got a cold front today with strong winds, which gave me a migraine. Weather fronts seem to mess with my sinuses more and more lately. I'm thrilled for the cool air but I guess I need to start having migraine meds on hand when the weather changes. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I love Smarties. Pure sugar. Yummy.

Necco wafers taste like antacid. Raisins are the devil's candy. Disgusting.

Everything else in that picture is some form of wax, and you can't convince me otherwise.

Also, Smarties make a good quick Halloween costume. Just tape them to your pants.

I'm tired of the wind. It's really not that windy (comparatively speaking probably -- it's not that windy for here), but the wind is strong enough that it keeps blowing Halloween decorations down the street. I'm going to have to try something different to keep them in the yard.

• Like 1
  • Surprise 1

1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Candy corn,  circus peanuts, those wax bottle thingies, and the wrapped in black and orange thingies are a no go for me. Don't so much mind raisins, good & plenty, necco or smarties, in that downward order. Not that I eat that much candy at all...

• Like 2

Mounds, Almond Joy, and Chocolate Kisses are the only candies I'll eat. Sometimes I like to eat them with a chilled Granny Smith apples.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

6 hours ago, BooksRule said:

The stuff in the orange and black wrappers is a peanut butter candy.  Very chewy.  They're okay if you are craving sweets and that's all there is, but I don't buy them on purpose

In my world, those are molasses flavoured, and I don't know any child who likes them.  

Give me peanut butter cups, all day long.  And Tootsie rolls, as long as they are soft and fresh.  And red Twizzlers. 

• Like 4

Love peanut butter cups, especially after they’ve been in the freezer.  KitKats and Mounds are favorites too.  
Not a fan of Neccos or Good & Plenty.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Candy corn,  circus peanuts, those wax bottle thingies, and the wrapped in black and orange thingies are a no go for me. Don't so much mind raisins, good & plenty, necco or smarties, in that downward order. Not that I eat that much candy at all...

While I liked candy corn, I agree that those wax bottle thingies and the wrapped in black and orange thingies were always a no go for me as a kid. The latter because this was associated with this odd neighbor who no one ever seemed to see- except when he'd open his door to give those out on Halloween! 

• Like 2

@auntlada, they are the very same! I've tried the squeeze till it pops approach but you could take someone's eye out like that.

Adding to the Smarties love. American Smarties, like in the picture, not those freaky things in England.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Blergh said:

the wrapped in black and orange thingies were always a no go for me as a kid. The latter because this was associated with this odd neighbor who no one ever seemed to see- except when he'd open his door to give those out on Halloween! 

That person lived in every single neighborhood across America. They may still live there but I don't have kids so I wouldn't know if that orange and black wrapped nonsense is still being passed out.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 2

To each one's own but Necco wafers are so awful IMO, they make St. Joseph's Chewable Aspirin taste like fresh oranges!  Still, I guess they have their fans. 

Edited by Blergh · Reason: toning things down a bit
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

If you're putting two of my childhood memories, Necco wafers and Smarties on your list, well then we can't be friends.

• Laugh 3

This reminded me that my neighborhood/childhood (1970s–1980s) best friend's parents were SUPER religious and they gave out faux-Chick tracts (not even exciting enough to be Chick tracts), pencils and pennies at Halloween. WHAT A HUGE BUMMER! Their next-door neighbor was an ancient man who gave out apples. Why did we go to their houses every year?

My best friend's dad wore a ballcap emblazoned with "Jesus is awesome!"

Edited by bilgistic
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

2 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Love peanut butter cups, especially after they’ve been in the freezer.  KitKats and Mounds are favorites too.  
Not a fan of Neccos or Good & Plenty.  

I just made a batch of home made chocolate peanut butter cups the other day. They're pretty easy to make but candy making is always a bit of a mess.

• Like 5

This showed up recently on a local Facebook page; I have managed to restrain myself, so far. 

1.jpg

Edited by Quof
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 2

Are those full size single cups or some mini nonsense where the PB and chocolate ratio is all jacked up? 

Related peeve: jacked up PB to chocolate ratio in Reese's not-cups. They've been around for nearly 40 years. Plenty of time to figure that shit out.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

26 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Are those full size single cups or some mini nonsense where the PB and chocolate ratio is all jacked up? 

In order to answer that question, I would have to drive to the store and buy 15 of them.  Are you suggesting I need to take one for the team? 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 15

1 hour ago, Quof said:

In order to answer that question, I would have to drive to the store and buy 15 of them.  Are you suggesting I need to take one for the team? 

Sometimes sacrifices have to be made...

• Laugh 10

3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

This reminded me that my neighborhood/childhood (1970s–1980s) best friend's parents were SUPER religious and they gave out faux-Chick tracts (not even exciting enough to be Chick tracts), pencils and pennies at Halloween. WHAT A HUGE BUMMER! Their next-door neighbor was an ancient man who gave out apples. Why did we go to their houses every year?

My best friend's dad wore a ballcap emblazoned with "Jesus is awesome!"

LOL, I had to lok up what "chick tracts" were! One year taking my kids trick or treating in our new neighborhood one of the neighborts handed out those little cartoon pamphlets the Jehovah's give out with the plane crashing and how Pam was the only one to go to heaven because she was a JW. My kids were horrified. We never went back to that house in the following years. 

Favorite Halloween candy: twizzlers, almond joy, anything dark chocolate!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

LOL, I had to lok up what "chick tracts" were! One year taking my kids trick or treating in our new neighborhood one of the neighborts handed out those little cartoon pamphlets the Jehovah's give out with the plane crashing and how Pam was the only one to go to heaven because she was a JW. My kids were horrified. We never went back to that house in the following years. 

Favorite Halloween candy: twizzlers, almond joy, anything dark chocolate!

I can do you one better. My church youth group used to have "lock-ins" at the YMCA and the pastors made us watch this horrifying movie in which this guy woke up one morning to find everyone else gone because the "rapture" had occurred, but being "unsaved", he'd not been taken to "heaven" by "God". I remember there being images of people burning in a "hell". It was nightmare-inducing.

• Surprise 5
  • Sad 1

@bilgistic this same family had a son in the boy scouts and they would bring him around for the annual popcorn and wrapping paper fund drive. We bought some (I love the wrapping paper) with no problems. One year the boy and his sister come to the door, pulling a wagon with popcorn and other stuff from the fund drive and asked if I would like to buy some. I though, hmm, usually you order it but maybe they changed it, so I purchased a box of 10 microwave popcorn bags, give them cash and sent them on their way. A few weeks later we make some of the popcorn, its stale as hell, like chewing paper, really bad. I pull the box and look at the freshness/sell by date, it was from 3 years before!!!!!!!!!!! They never came around after that but all I could think is that the parents wanted to unload some of the leftover stuff and sent the kids out with it. Kinda hypocritical.... 

Edited by BexKeps
  • Like 2
  • Surprise 3