Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I'm not that short, but I have a longer inseam than, it seems, is normal.  Definitely longer than Mr. ebk 🙂

I think it must also translate to my face because I'm finding my main problem with masks is the top edge gets in my eyes.  So maybe I have a short face. It's always something... 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

My latest peeve is how they hem jeans. They used to have a one inch hem. Now it’s a quarter to a half inch. Every time I wash them they curl up. I have to dampen them and then put something with weight on the hems to get them to go straight down or iron them. 

I take them out of the dryer while still slightly damp. Use pant hangers but attach to the bottom of the pants not the waist and the weight of the pants hanging straightens out the hem and even the pants...better than ironing!

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I take them out of the dryer while still slightly damp. Use pant hangers but attach to the bottom of the pants not the waist and the weight of the pants hanging straightens out the hem and even the pants...better than ironing!

I have some pants hangers. I’ll give that a try. Thank you. 

• Love 2

People have trouble affording health care let alone dental care. Mine wants over $1600 for a first visit (cleaning and x-rays). It’s a dentist I have used (off and on due to the costs) for over a decade. Four new ones opened in my area. If I try to price them for an initial visit, they won’t commit to a price. “It depends on what we see and feel we might need to do at that time”. Frustrating. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

People have trouble affording health care let alone dental care. Mine wants over $1600 for a first visit (cleaning and x-rays). It’s a dentist I have used (off and on due to the costs) for over a decade. Four new ones opened in my area. If I try to price them for an initial visit, they won’t commit to a price. “It depends on what we see and feel we might need to do at that time”. Frustrating. 

That’s obscene.  @Mindthinkr even without dental insurance you should not be charged anywhere close to that for a cleaning and X-rays IMO.  
My dentist retired a while back - I found out through the grapevine.  I had just seen him and a few weeks later someone I know who goes there told me, no letter or anything about him retiring and the background of the guy he sold the practice to. (A pet peeve of mine)  I was traveling a distance (long story) to see this guy and decided I’d do that until he retired.  I kept putting off finding someone closer then COVID hit which delayed it more.  Thankfully my teeth are I good shape (I think) but I loathe going in for the first time and being told “there’s a problem” that’ll cost $$ above the routine cleaning and X-rays that are usually 100% covered by insurance.  

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

They also want me to use an electric tooth brush

I also dislike all the vibrations in my mouth. It makes me scared it’s going to loosen my fillings (ha, maybe it is and they know it lol). I use my only once per day to polish and stick to the brushes for regular cleaning. I say good for you getting that task over with. If you run out of that special paste and rinse I’d ask them for another sample. Toothpaste has become ridiculously expensive. $6 for a 3 Oz tube for one kind I like. The other Paradontax (so?) cost even more. They last about 2 weeks and I try to be conservative. I don’t want to imagine what the prescription ones cost. 

• Love 1
On 10/8/2020 at 1:45 PM, peacheslatour said:

Today my peeve is aging. I think I look pretty good for my age (63) I've only gained ten pounds over the forty years I been married to my DH, my hair is still thick and wavy (dyed because it's starting to turn white) I don't have any wrinkles to speak of but then I reach for something and... feel like screaming when this hideous claw emerges from my sleeve. Yikes!

Yes, I'm 53 and get comments all the time that I look 10 years younger, but gosh darn it, my hands look 10 years OLDER! WTH?  I read a long time ago to use sunscreen heavily on your hands, that your neck and hands will show your age fast if you don't, well I guess I skipped those when I lotioned up for the last 30 years.....

18 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Most people use too much toothpaste. It may not last you the full 3 months but it will probably last longer than expected

I was just coming to post this, if you watch a TV commercial it looks like you should be covering the entire brush, it wasn't until I was well into my 40's that I learned you only needed a pea sized amount. I can make a regular tube last for 3 months now!

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I really don't like this new place, but my options are very limited with so many dentists retiring.  I don't care how nice they are if I am getting screwed cost wise in the process.   It is easy to be nice when they are raking in the dough.

There is another option:  Dental college.

They do work for free (or nearly free) and they HAVE to do a good job on you - or they fail!  

1 hour ago, BexKeps said:

my hands look 10 years OLDER! WTH? 

I use this cream.  It's chemical free and absorbs quickly.  It softens the skin nicely!

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

With my luck I would end up with someone that was sleeping in the back of the class, and I would probably be taking my teeth home in a jar.  It's the "or they fail" part that scares me.

I read this as "he would be taking my teeth home in a jar" and laughed at how dark it was. It's "spooky season", you know. We've been watching all manner of horror programming.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Is it really so difficult to provide written instructions for what I should be doing...

Did you ask her for written instructions? Did you bring a pad and pen to write down what she was telling you? Either one would probably help since you know it is an issue for you.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I was just coming to post this, if you watch a TV commercial it looks like you should be covering the entire brush, it wasn't until I was well into my 40's that I learned you only needed a pea sized amount.

I literally just learned this from that article. I've been using way too much, too. I do love my SonicCare and when my old one died I picked up a 2pk at Costco (for half the price as a single one at BB&B) that tells me when I use too much pressure too. It's super basic with just two settings and I love it!

My peeve is work related and it's about people who skip meetings they requested and accepted and/or when key members of the meeting don't bother to RSVP. If we need you in the meeting, and you can't make the meeting, let us know. Don't waste our time.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

My peeve is work related and it's about people who skip meetings they requested and accepted and/or when key members of the meeting don't bother to RSVP. If we need you in the meeting, and you can't make the meeting, let us know. Don't waste our time.

Yes, and I'll give you the flip side:

When I'm trying to set up a meeting that my superior, who is a leader in the company, requests, and she includes people who aren't intergal to the meeting itself, but are invited so they are informed, and Miss or Mr. Not Integral has the gall to call and ask that the meeting be moved to a more convenient time for THEM, and when I decline to do so based on my superior's schedule, AND TITLE, I get a whiny response of "But now I have to change my whole day!!" WTF? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Did you ask her for written instructions? Did you bring a pad and pen to write down what she was telling you? Either one would probably help since you know it is an issue for you.

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The place avoids using paper as much as possible.

I use the "note" app on my IPhone.  Whenever i need to remind myself of something, I use it like pen and paper!  It's very convenient, especially if you can't find a conventional pen and paper.  

I probably should have been born with a barcode tattooed on my head for their convenience.  My appointment would have been that much quicker.

[Steps out of a tin foil millinery]

I hear "they" are working on that! 

Peeve:

When bosses mistake confusion for insolence.

Last week, one of the reporters asked me to help set up the booth to track for a news package.  He told me that "so and so" would be editing it later that day since it wouldn't air until that evening.  After the recording, the EP stops by my edit bay during a lull and tells me to edit the package.  Being confused, I asked why. 

"What do you mean, 'why?'  Are you going to do it?"  

Sure, but why, I thought "so and so" was going to edit it.

"Well, can you edit it now?  I rather you take care of it now and give the other shift a break - one less thing for them to worry about."

OK.

The whole time, she seemed to have this annoyed face like I was arguing with her!  I wasn't trying to get out of it, I just thought someone else was handling it.  I asked the reporter later about it, he told me the original editor called in sick that day and couldn't do the package as planned.  OK!  Why didn't they tell me that earlier?  I'm happy to pitch in;  it's just I didn't know why I was asked to do something out of the ordinary and no reason given.  FTR, the reporter loved my work on his video!

I need a reset button.

Your wish is my command!!

image.thumb.png.c0828b58711908eb86cb9ac72a96181f.png

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That makes me think of Hermey, the elf in Santa's workshop that wanted to be a dentist.  I wonder if he's available?  Rumor has it, Bumbles bounce.

With my luck I would end up with someone that was sleeping in the back of the class, and I would probably be taking my teeth home in a jar.  It's the "or they fail" part that scares me.

I once got a perm at beauty college. Speaking of spooky.

• LOL 1
52 minutes ago, magicdog said:

I use the "note" app on my IPhone.  Whenever i need to remind myself of something, I use it like pen and paper!  It's very convenient, especially if you can't find a conventional pen and paper.  

[Steps out of a tin foil millinery]

I hear "they" are working on that! 

Peeve:

When bosses mistake confusion for insolence.

Last week, one of the reporters asked me to help set up the booth to track for a news package.  He told me that "so and so" would be editing it later that day since it wouldn't air until that evening.  After the recording, the EP stops by my edit bay during a lull and tells me to edit the package.  Being confused, I asked why. 

"What do you mean, 'why?'  Are you going to do it?"  

Sure, but why, I thought "so and so" was going to edit it.

"Well, can you edit it now?  I rather you take care of it now and give the other shift a break - one less thing for them to worry about."

OK.

The whole time, she seemed to have this annoyed face like I was arguing with her!  I wasn't trying to get out of it, I just thought someone else was handling it.  I asked the reporter later about it, he told me the original editor called in sick that day and couldn't do the package as planned.  OK!  Why didn't they tell me that earlier?  I'm happy to pitch in;  it's just I didn't know why I was asked to do something out of the ordinary and no reason given.  FTR, the reporter loved my work on his video!

Your wish is my command!!

image.thumb.png.c0828b58711908eb86cb9ac72a96181f.png

When you're a woman in the workplace, every question is an "argument".

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I value the few strands I have left, there is no way anyone is going to touch those.  If I combed by back hair forward it would look like I have a full head of hair.  Yeah, I know TMI. 

I know I got all cranky in a previous post or two.  I am just highly annoyed and frustrated at the moment.  It will pass.  I apologize for being a grumpy goose.  There isn't a grumpy good emoji so I will just post a swan. 🦢

Haha, grumpy goose. I have been an aggro alpaca for the last two days.

• Love 1

Podcast peeve: Movie podcasts that take 10, 15, or even 20 minutes to start talking about the movie. I guess maybe long time listeners may enjoy the "witty" banter of the hosts, but I'm just interested in a movie discussion. 

Also, if you're going to do a podcast about a 50 year old classic movie like Rosemary's Baby - maybe consider glancing at the Wikipedia page before starting the podcast. That way you'll know little details like the character names, and that it was first a book, keeping you from saying stupid things like:

"Did you guys notice that Roman Polanski combined his and John Cassavetes names to name the head witch?"

No, sweetie, Cassavetes and Castevet are two entirely different names. And Ira Levin named him, not garbage person Polanski.

Edited by Nordly Beaumont
  • Love 6

Today's pet peeve is living in an older house that needs what seems like constant maintenance and repair.  I know that even new houses can be lemons or have problems (unless custom built with the homeowner's input into every detail--which I'm sure rarely happens), but living in a 1964 ranch-style home can be a pain sometimes.  Just when I get one thing taken care of, something else breaks, leaks, fizzles out, etc.  This morning I noticed that there seemed to be some water along the baseboard of one wall of the bathroom near the tub (the 'outside' wall with the window).  I know that happens now and then when the shower splashes around the shower curtain, but it did seem odd.  When I turned on the shower, the faucet felt a little loose and there was little water pressure coming out of the showerhead.  I went ahead and took the quickest most 'frugal' shower ever and did some checking.  I also found water outside coming out and pooling on the patio a few feet down from where the bathroom would be located inside the house.  Rats, rats, rats!  I went ahead and went to work because it didn't look like the water was continuing to flow, but got nervous and came home a couple of hours later to take a look. The water on the patio had dried up, so it doesn't look like there's a continuing leak, but I definitely have a leak somewhere when I turn on the faucet in the main bathroom.  I also discovered that the floor along the hallway (outside the hall bathroom) was wet right near the wall, which led me to first think that the A/C drain pipe was clogged up (another occasional problem), but when I checked, it seemed fine.  The water seems to be coming from the wall where I think the leak might be and just followed the line of least resistance which is along that wall into the hallway (since it seems to be limited to just those several feet in that area).  I tested the hall bathroom shower by letting it run for a few minutes and the pressure seemed fine and there was no sign of water outside, so I'm thinking (hoping) that it's limited to the area of the main tub.  Still a pain and probably costly to fix, but at least it's not all drains, fixtures, etc.  

It's always something.

I feel your pain @BooksRule, last year I moved into a home that was originally built as a garage in the early 1900's, and then was (poorly) converted into a small 900 sq ft home. Unfortunately previous owners were not kind to it, did some really shoddy 'upgrades' (added plugs with no grounding, $1,500 fix), left other things to rot (original windows with the rope pulley thingy, $8,000 fix) and ignored other issues (trees growing unmanaged close to the house, $5,000 fix, roots growing into the sewer pipe $1,400 fix). So I have spent the last 18 months working through the most important problems, which also happen to be the most expensive. I still have to deal with new flooring and new kitchen & bathroom cabinets & sinks, but I love the house and feel it has a lot of potential to be an adorable, homey little house which is why I am willing to spend the money.  

It is always something.

• Love 2
On 10/11/2020 at 2:46 PM, Bastet said:

Bissell makes good carpet cleaners, and Costco has good prices on them.  I think if you use one of its ubiquitous coupons (especially if combined with a sale), Bed Bath & Beyond is another good option.  (I got mine at Costco; I only have carpet in one room, but I'd rather clean it myself.)

Make sure you use an enzyme-based cleaner (e.g. Anti-Icky Poo [I know, terrible name, but good product] or Nature's Miracle) rather than a carpet shampoo; otherwise, while you won't smell pee anymore, your cat still will, and will return to the scene of the crime.  And, given the condition you describe, soak the ever-loving hell out of the carpet and let it sit (so it can penetrate the pad and sub-floor).

(Have you had kitty checked for a UTI, to make sure it's not a new medical issue causing the wayward peeing problem?)

Good luck, and best wishes for your cat.

Planet urine is good also! you can get it on their website Planeturine.com or buy it from amazon

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/11/2020 at 4:14 PM, GaT said:

He won't buy a carpet cleaner because "we won't use it & we'll have to find someplace to store it". I have tried to explain that the reason we would buy it would be so we can use it, but he is just being blind to it. 

Kitty is also diabetic, so we think that may have something to do with it. We give her an insulin shot twice a day, but that's pretty much all we can do.

you can rent a carpet cleaner from the grocery store

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

you can rent a carpet cleaner from the grocery store

He goes into the grocery store once a week, 8:00 AM Sunday morning fully masked & gloved & paranoidly watching how far away other people stay. There is no way he's going to go back to the store to interact with people to rent an unsterilized machine. Plus, we both have sport cars which we wouldn't be able to fit the machine in anyway.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, GaT said:

He goes into the grocery store once a week, 8:00 AM Sunday morning fully masked & gloved & paranoidly watching how far away other people stay. There is no way he's going to go back to the store to interact with people to rent an unsterilized machine. Plus, we both have sport cars which we wouldn't be able to fit the machine in anyway.

buy one from amazon i'm pretty sure they are not expensive like the  Bissel spot bot.

My pet peeve today is Halloween candy, specifically Whoppers, and more spefcifically the impossible-to-open wrappers on the "fun size" ones that come in variety packs. All the other candies unwrap as nature and Hershey intended, but the freaking Whoppers wrappers are designed from some anti-candy eater material and sealed with superglue.

• LOL 9
20 minutes ago, ABay said:

My pet peeve today is Halloween candy, specifically Whoppers, and more spefcifically the impossible-to-open wrappers on the "fun size" ones that come in variety packs. All the other candies unwrap as nature and Hershey intended, but the freaking Whoppers wrappers are designed from some anti-candy eater material and sealed with superglue.

Are these the tube packages with three Whoppers in them? I always squeeze below the top Whopper, pushing it up and out of the package. You do have to be careful where you are pointing the package when you do that, unless you don't care about picking up the Whopper off the floor and eating it anyway.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Nature knows that Whoppers are gross. I stand by whoever designed the wrapper to protect the unsuspecting public.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Nature knows that Whoppers are gross. I stand by whoever designed the wrapper to protect the unsuspecting public.

Sir or madam! I beg to differ!  Whoppers are indeed yummy.  

Sorry, that’s all I got. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Halloween pet peeve mini thread:  Name the candy that disgusts you the most, I'll start...

Tootsie Rolls, especially the assorted flavor ones. Right in the trash with them.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Candy corn tastes like wax and nightmares. Truly vile.

But it's only marginally worse than that "candy" in orange or black wrappers. It just appears at Halloween. No one actually buys it or eats it.

I think I know what you mean.  Like a taffy or something?

• Love 3

The stuff in the orange and black wrappers is a peanut butter candy.  Very chewy.  They're okay if you are craving sweets and that's all there is, but I don't buy them on purpose.  Candy corn is okay, but I like the candy pumpkins better (they have a little more flavor).  Circus peanuts have an odd texture to me, so I don't like them.  I don't like anything licorice, so I guess that's my icky choice.  

Peeve:  It's the middle of October, and it has still been in the upper 80s around here.  I hate that my A/C is still coming on way too much (even when I have it turned up to 78).  But, cooler weather is on the way and it's been cooler at night, so the days of running the A/C constantly are coming to a close (unless we have one of those ridiculous 'heat waves' near Christmas!).

• Love 5

Harvest Mix season is my favorite season! But only Brach's. The rest can die a waxy faux candy corn impersonation death.

Circus peanuts taste like packing foam looks and black licorice is the worst.

ca8844958c7127a47b87faeef32c265b.jpg

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 8

It feels very much like fall where I am. All chilly, and there's even talk of rain and snow showers this weekend and early next week, which I'm personally quite happy about. 

It's also been windy as hell, which is probably my big weather pet peeve right now. I don't mind a bit of wind in and of itself, but it'd be nice to not feel like I'm fighting against it when I go outside to, say, check the mail or something :p. I will say that hearing the wind howl late at night definitely helps put me in the spooky Halloween mood, though :D. 

• Love 1

I wish we were getting fall weather. It's still in the 90s here and even at night there is no wind or breeze. I am craving some relief from the unbearable heat.

Anyway, I agree with all those that say candy corn is gross.  I also think Snickers and Reeses are disgusting. Milky Ways, Almond Joy, and Mounds are my go-to candies.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Harvest Mix season is my favorite season! But only Brach's. The rest can die a waxy faux candy corn impersonation death.

I love Smarties. Pure sugar. Yummy.

Necco wafers taste like antacid. Raisins are the devil's candy. Disgusting.

Everything else in that picture is some form of wax, and you can't convince me otherwise.

• Love 2

To tie this back into peeves mine is aging related and that my body can't process the junk food like it used to. I loved those wax sugar bottles as a kid. And pixie stix and smarties. Now? I'll get down with a roll of smarties if it's in a Halloween dish at the office (prior years) and would feel like shit after.

Ugh, Necco wafers and boxes of raisins were the worst.

We finally got a cold front today with strong winds, which gave me a migraine. Weather fronts seem to mess with my sinuses more and more lately. I'm thrilled for the cool air but I guess I need to start having migraine meds on hand when the weather changes. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I love Smarties. Pure sugar. Yummy.

Necco wafers taste like antacid. Raisins are the devil's candy. Disgusting.

Everything else in that picture is some form of wax, and you can't convince me otherwise.

Also, Smarties make a good quick Halloween costume. Just tape them to your pants.

I'm tired of the wind. It's really not that windy (comparatively speaking probably -- it's not that windy for here), but the wind is strong enough that it keeps blowing Halloween decorations down the street. I'm going to have to try something different to keep them in the yard.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

Candy corn,  circus peanuts, those wax bottle thingies, and the wrapped in black and orange thingies are a no go for me. Don't so much mind raisins, good & plenty, necco or smarties, in that downward order. Not that I eat that much candy at all...

• Love 2