Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I've had people ask me if I spent any time in the UK because I kind of "sound British."  Can a semester abroad really affect your accent? 

I'm a native Lawn Guylander. After college, I went into the Air Force, and spent a year in pilot training in Mississippi. When I visited home after that, everyone said I talked funny.

• LOL 5
1 minute ago, Moose135 said:

I'm a native Lawn Guylander. After college, I went into the Air Force, and spent a year in pilot training in Mississippi. When I visited home after that, everyone said I talked funny.

Yeah, but I went abroad in 2001.  People STILL ask me, 19 years later (usually people I don't know too well).  And it's not really an "ethnic" thing because people of ALL backgrounds have asked me (though I seem to get it from non-whites more than from white people.  A Latinx guy I dated at one point asked me, as did a (Black) girl I only bump heads with at media events (when I was blogging, anyway) always seems to pester me about it (what's with that, anyway?  Just ask once.  You already know the answer).  Asians seem to be too polite to do so).  

Okay, at the risk of being perceived as entirely politically incorrect, one of my recent pet peeves is the use of "politically correct language" to identify ethnic people that *they do NOT use themselves*. Would it not be better to ask people of any given ethnic group what they *want* to be called and then stick with that? I'm looking at you, people that say or write "Latinx". According to all the recent surveys I've seen this term was entirely cooked up in academic circles and less than 5% of actual people of Hispanic descent are even familiar with it. My community is significantly populated by people from Mexico and Central America and they refer to themselves as Latino or Latina depending on their gender, which makes sense given that Spanish adheres to gender based noun endings for *everything* (like all Romance languages - thus its "la tabla" y "el gato" and the plural is not "los gatx").

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Note:  I'm first generation Anglophone, meaning, English is my default language (even though I learned Cantonese (a language I can neither read nor write.  I'm not even sure if I should SAY that it's my first language. 

It sounds like you are what's called a heritage speaker. Are your parents primarily Cantonese speakers? If that's the case, your first language and heritage language is Cantonese but your dominant language (the one you use on a regular basis) is not the language you are primarily exposed to from birth. Reading and writing doesn't make a speaker. Children acquire a language and if they remain illiterate, they are still a native speaker of that language.

If this interests you: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1749-818X.2007.00022.x

In the Wikipedia article it says that the first language is not fully developed. That is not necessarily the case. There is a wide range of variation regarding the proficiency in the heritage language. There is some debate on the definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_language#Controversy_in_definition

It the dominant language takes over at a young age (before puberty) and the first language is never used then the first language doesn't have the time to fully develop. If that starts happening after puberty, most linguists agree that except for word access and some processing issues, the heritage language is fully developed and one can go back to using it easily if they had to or wanted to.

2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Can a semester abroad really affect your accent?

Yes. It depends on your age when you went. After I went to university in a different dialect area at the age of 19, to this day (32 years later), my family comments that I don't sound like I did originally (by imitating and making fun of me). Granted, I stayed in my university city for 10 years, but yes, it does happen. The younger you were, the more impact it might have had. 

I've had students from Hong Kong who were educated in English and their English always sounded somewhat British to me. Maybe you also adopted a bit there?

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, supposebly said:

It sounds like you are what's called a heritage speaker. Are your parents primarily Cantonese speakers? If that's the case, your first language and heritage language is Cantonese but your dominant language (the one you use on a regular basis) is not the language you are primarily exposed to from birth. Reading and writing doesn't make a speaker. Children acquire a language and if they remain illiterate, they are still a native speaker of that language.

If this interests you: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1749-818X.2007.00022.x

In the Wikipedia article it says that the first language is not fully developed. That is not necessarily the case. There is a wide range of variation regarding the proficiency in the heritage language. There is some debate on the definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_language#Controversy_in_definition

It the dominant language takes over at a young age (before puberty) and the first language is never used then the first language doesn't have the time to fully develop. If that starts happening after puberty, most linguists agree that except for word access and some processing issues, the heritage language is fully developed and one can go back to using it easily if they had to or wanted to.

Yes. It depends on your age when you went. After I went to university in a different dialect area at the age of 19, to this day (32 years later), my family comments that I don't sound like I did originally (by imitating and making fun of me). Granted, I stayed in my university city for 10 years, but yes, it does happen. The younger you were, the more impact it might have had. 

I've had students from Hong Kong who were educated in English and their English always sounded somewhat British to me. Maybe you also adopted a bit there?

I like the term "heritage language" a lot more than other terms people seem to use (e.g. "mother tongue" or even "first language."  Both (especially the former) seem to imply you are at least somewhat literate, and I'm not comfortable being put in the same category as someone who IS literate).  Save for one year in Bermuda (which MIGHT have contributed to my apparent "accent" and my semester abroad (I was 21), I had never gone to school anywhere else  but Canada.  I was born in Toronto and never lived in Hong Kong.  I mean, there were lots of international students from Hong Kong at my high school, but boarders and day students rarely socialized together.  We didn't even eat in the same cafeteria (boarders got better food, because, well, their parents had to pay more.  As for us day girls, I'd say that more than half of us brought our lunch and I guess they didn't want "outside food" in the boarders' dining hall?  I bought my lunch most of the time and was always jealous that the boarders had more appetizing looking meals)!  I suppose my accent could have come from singing - our choir director was British.   

Edited by PRgal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I went to Kindergarten in the midwest, but otherwise have lived almost my whole life in the same general part of Virginia.  I do not sound like the people around me.  I can sound like them, but my normal speech pattern and accent are quite different.

Really super petty pet peeve -- today, I had the TV on for background while I cleaned house and other indoor things (it rained about half the day), but I had to choose between Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and Galaxy Quest.  Last weekend, on a similarly rainy day, there wasn't anything much on.  Why do all of the things I would like to watch/listen to have to be on at the same time?

• Love 5

I have a Korean friend who grew up in Toronto starting at 3 years old. As a linguist and phonetician, she says her vowels are not quite what Canadian English-only speakers' vowels are like. Her American husband can't tell the difference.

Native speakers notice differences and classify them. Whether someone's pronunciations are actually of some British variety, who knows. It's just what some people then think it might be. 

I once was asked where in France I'm from. I don't speak French. My first language is German. My accent, while not a super strong prototypical German accent, is certainly not a French accent.

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I once was asked where in France I'm from. I don't speak French. My first language is German. My accent, while not a super strong prototypical German accent, is certainly not a French accent.

There’s a joke about neutral Switzerland somewhere in there. 😉

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't get it. Help!

Because Switzerland has German and French as official languages (besides Italian)? My dialect of German is closer to Swiss German than Standard German but I doubt that was the joke?

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I don't get it. Help!

Because Switzerland has German and French as official languages (besides Italian)? My dialect of German is closer to Swiss German than Standard German but I doubt that was the joke?

Sorry, I just meant there *should* be a good Switzerland-related joke. I'm not clever enough to come up with it. 

ETA: 
In addition to French and German being languages of Switzerland, I was thinking of “Switzerland” being a slang-ish term for “neutral” and how it seems that different pronunciations are the cause of verbal “war” —if that makes any sense. 
Probably some gifted comedy writer could use it. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

I have a Korean friend who grew up in Toronto starting at 3 years old. As a linguist and phonetician, she says her vowels are not quite what Canadian English-only speakers' vowels are like. Her American husband can't tell the difference.

Native speakers notice differences and classify them. Whether someone's pronunciations are actually of some British variety, who knows. It's just what some people then think it might be. 

I suppose people who know me are just so used to how I talk that they don’t bother asking.  Lol 

• Love 1

Something they (the infamous they) don't tell you when you switch over from carpet to hard woods is how much vacuuming there is. So much vacuuming, with so many attachments and that doesn't even stop from having to move furniture to vacuum underneath.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Something they (the infamous they) don't tell you when you switch over from carpet to hard woods is how much vacuuming their is. So much vacuuming, with so many attachments and that doesn't even stop from having to move furniture to vacuum underneath.

I am woefully late in making the switch from carpet to hardwood, and ^this is one of the reasons.  I have two cats who like to leave steaming piles of cat yak from time to time, so a robot vac is out of the question.  I have a couple areas of hardwood, and the dust alone is enough work to make me hesitate on whole-house hardwoods.  I know for resale, something we'll be doing sooner than later, it would likely be an incentive to a buyer, but will it pay for itself?  Dunno.

30 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I am woefully late in making the switch from carpet to hardwood, and ^this is one of the reasons.  I have two cats who like to leave steaming piles of cat yak from time to time, so a robot vac is out of the question.  I have a couple areas of hardwood, and the dust alone is enough work to make me hesitate on whole-house hardwoods.  I know for resale, something we'll be doing sooner than later, it would likely be an incentive to a buyer, but will it pay for itself?  Dunno.

Our house is half & half & we're keeping it that way. I grew up in a house with all hardwoods (except for a rug in the living room and tile in the kitchen) and, brrrr! In NY winters, it was not fun. I remember chasing dust bunnies on the hardwoods with a damp mop. We don't seem to have that problem in our house today.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Just because it's a robot doesn't mean you have to let it run sight-unseen.  I had an early version that I eventually quit using for other reasons, but I couldn't imagine having it run automatically, without me having a chance to police the area for stray items first.  Anyway, I eventually decided that it was faster and easier to just run a (relatively inexpensive) cordless Shark stick vac over everything - carpet and hard surfaces.  FWIW.

• Useful 3
54 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Our house is half & half & we're keeping it that way. I grew up in a house with all hardwoods (except for a rug in the living room and tile in the kitchen) and, brrrr! In NY winters, it was not fun. I remember chasing dust bunnies on the hardwoods with a damp mop. We don't seem to have that problem in our house today.

Right, especially in the bedrooms.  Our master feels 5 degrees colder in wnter, and I struggle with the idea of putting down a hard floor.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I have glued down Luxury Vinyl Plank through out my house, and I love it.  Totally waterproof, and if I need to replace it someday, then the EVP (Engineered Vinyl Plank) is going to be my choice.     Dust is a problem, but my neighbors with super dark LVP see every speck of dust.   I also get big dust bunnies under the beds.      However, the EVP is waterproof, looks much more like hardwood, and won't scratch from usual wear, they've been using it a lot on the most recent episodes of Good Bones.    They also used it on a Property Brothers recently too.

LVP can scratch, but the EVP or EVT (tile version) is almost scratch proof.        

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

And I wish I did have hardwood floors!

Peeve I never knew I had until yesterday: Heavy Breathers on the phone. And I don't mean the creepers/stalkers kind.

I was on the phone with a tech from Amazon, to try and figure out why my Samsung tv remote suddenly stopped working to navigate my Firestick. The person I spoke to, while nice, just kept BREATHING so loudly and heavily, it sounded like someone was tapping a microphone, if that makes sense. I was never so glad when she put me on hold to test it.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Peeve I never knew I had until yesterday: Heavy Breathers on the phone. And I don't mean the creepers/stalkers kind.

Me too. A coworker at a job I had a while back was one.  Just about all of our team calls were over the phone since most of us were in different locations.  Mr. Heavy Breather was doing his “thing” on a call one time, making it hard for the rest of us to hear whoever was talking which was advancing the conversation.  When he made a remark about what was going on another coworker called him out on the heavy breathing.  It didn’t seem to be much of an issue after that.  At one point later on he seemed to be over his head as far as the job was concerned so the heavy breathing was the least of his problems.  

• Love 1

Another peeve (if I haven't already noted this):  People who use their own eating utensils to grab food when it's served family style.  Even dim sum places now provide serving chopsticks (well, they have since 2003 when SARS hit).  It's gross.  I don't want your saliva.  Especially NOW in the age of COVID. (okay, I haven't actually dined in since March, so I don't even know what things are like anymore).  

• Love 2

I will never have a carpeted home again.  Yes, it's much faster to vacuum a carpeted place than needing to sweep/vacuum and then mop, so I miss the time it took me to clean my condo compared to cleaning my house, but hardwood is so much more attractive to me I am willing to put up with it. 

I will put an area rug in the dining room and maybe the living room once I finally stumble across the perfect one(s), as additional decorative elements.  Right now, I just have a rug on which my office chair sits (to protect the floor from its wheels) and a runner in the hallway because I like it so much I can't bear to part with it until it wears out.

(I have one room in my house, my study, that's carpeted, and even with regular vacuuming, when I shampoo that carpet every six months, the water I dump out is black, so carpet may look clean, but it isn't.  I'm not a germaphobe, though, so I don't care.)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I have glued down Luxury Vinyl Plank through out my house, and I love it.  Totally waterproof, and if I need to replace it someday, then the EVP (Engineered Vinyl Plank) is going to be my choice.     Dust is a problem, but my neighbors with super dark LVP see every speck of dust.   I also get big dust bunnies under the beds.      However, the EVP is waterproof, looks much more like hardwood, and won't scratch from usual wear, they've been using it a lot on the most recent episodes of Good Bones.    They also used it on a Property Brothers recently too.

LVP can scratch, but the EVP or EVT (tile version) is almost scratch proof.        

We are building a house soon, I want EVP for it. Can you use it in the kitchen?

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I will put an area rug in the dining room and maybe the living room once I finally stumble across the perfect one(s), as additional decorative elements.  

The hunt for the perfect rug(s).  Another peeve.  If I look at all the rugs then I should stumble across the perfect one(s)...  but its taking so long.

I do like the hard woods better than carpet but I'm putting area rugs in most rooms.  Originally because I want something under everything with seating or beds to protect the floors and stop the sliding around.  But now I think a barrier for the dust bunnies is not a bad idea either.

I do think the amount of dust I have is ridiculous and am thinking of having my vents cleaned just to see if it helps.  I have heard that is both helpful and a scam so I don't know if that is a good idea or not.

The hunt for the perfect rug(s).  Another peeve.  If I look at all the rugs then I should stumble across the perfect one(s)...  but its taking so long.

I do like the hard woods better than carpet but I'm putting area rugs in most rooms.  Originally because I want something under everything with seating or beds to protect the floors and stop the sliding around.  But now I think a barrier for the dust bunnies is not a bad idea either.

I do think the amount of dust I have is ridiculous and am thinking of having my vents cleaned just to see if it helps.  I have heard that is both helpful and a scam so I don't know if that is a good idea or not.

We've done ours once, probably should do it more frequently, for dust and ickies.  Had the stupidly long (probably 50ft) dryer vent hose done as well.  I don't imagine we'll do it again before we leave here, but I would recommend it be done every so often.  I don't think it's a scam.  Forced air HVAC systems throw around a lot of particulate matter, which our homes are loaded with.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated

I've heard that dust can also seep in via windows (so can noise--we had new windows installed last year & we now have less dust & it's really quiet). But I don't like the sound of rain on the plastic-y new window frames (but they were a heckuva lot cheaper than wood!)

• Love 1
21 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

That is far better than those who eat while talking on the phone.  Even worse when they are also rattling a potato chip bag.   This happened when I was calling a business.   The person I talked to was munching and rattling away.  I couldn't wait to get off the phone.

I took a call several years ago from a person who had apparently taken a huge bite of something before dialing, and continued to chew it throughout our relatively quick call. Quick because I wanted to get off the phone before I threw up. I remember thinking, why would you decide to dial the phone while you are eating in the first place? And this was a business call!

• Love 2

Mostly just musing/obsessing:
Wondering if  I should offer my neighbor a small monthly cash amount to turn off the air conditioner when not needed for actual cooling that is currently running next to my bedroom window 24/7 —including during 50°s F weather. 

I would have to offer via text message since that’s how we communicate and I don’t really know her since they moved in just before the pandemic started. 

—1st World pet peeve

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Wondering if  I should offer my neighbor a small monthly cash amount to turn off the air conditioner when not needed for actual cooling that is currently running next to my bedroom window 24/7 —including during 50°s F weather. 

I would have to offer via text message since that’s how we communicate and I don’t really know her since they moved in just before the pandemic started. 

—1st World pet peeve

Just curious - is it loud because it's not in the best working order or are they all loud?  It's been a while since I've been around one.  I would think if it's because it's in poor working order, you should be able to get the management to help you.  Something about the quiet enjoyment of your home - that legally can't be taken from you.  I could however see how, if it's just the nature of the beast, and they're allowed by the property management, you probably don't have much recourse.  

So sorry.  That would suck.  

p.s.:  I would be the neighbor running it 24/7 probably.  Being too hot is my birthright apparently.

apostrophe abuse
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

—1st World pet peeve

I’d try management first before making an offer that they could reneg on later.  Who knows if they’d even respond to the text if it means they have to shut off the AC.  Management may get their attention.  You deserve to enjoy your home in peace.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

If I got a text from someone I don't know offering to pay me to turn off the A/C, I would be insulted and pissed off.  I would rather someone just approach me and discuss the issue.

I do agree with @SuprSuprElevated that the first thing to consider is whether the unit is old and loud and broken and needs repair/ replacement or if its just that there is no avoiding how loud its going to be.  It would be best if you can find away to spin it as the Property Mgmt problem rather than creating tension with your neighbor.

There are iPhone apps that measure sound. Measure it and see if its within normal ranges or not.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5

Another driving-related pet peeve.  It's been raining here the past couple of days, and, unbeknownst to me, there was a tiny bit of pine needle stuck under the driver's side windshield wiper blade.  On my whole commute to work yesterday, I had a smear exactly in my line of sight -- why does debris under the wiper blade always get stuck exactly in my line of sight?  And never seems to get stuck on the passenger side at all?

ETA:  And the bloody cricket in my bloody kitchen.  It won't shut up!  And it's loud!  I'm being driven mad by this stupid cricket!

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

why does debris under the wiper blade always get stuck exactly in my line of sight?  And never seems to get stuck on the passenger side at all?

Get out of my head car!!  Nailed it. 

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

ETA:  And the bloody cricket in my bloody kitchen.  It won't shut up!  And it's loud!  I'm being driven mad by this stupid cricket!

Reason #2,619 to have a cat.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And the bloody cricket in my bloody kitchen.  It won't shut up!  And it's loud!  I'm being driven mad by this stupid cricket!

All my sympathy! I had one in my basement and I could hear it plain as day! I thought I'd lose my mind. I had some of those sticky mouse traps and found that those catch spiders and crickets pretty well. Also grossed out by how many spiders I had in my basement!

Work peeve - people who set up meetings and come unprepared. So you just sit there watching them do the work they should have done before starting the call. I have better things to do.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Work peeve - people who set up meetings and come unprepared. So you just sit there watching them do the work they should have done before starting the call. I have better things to do.

My work meeting pet peeves are getting a meeting invite with no agenda (I always have something even if it’s a one liner of what we need to accomplish) and the ones that go grossly over the scheduled time, especially if it’s late in the day.   Some people just go on and on and the longer they talk the more they lose me.  Poor time management by the meeting organizer. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Are you sure it's a cricket? A friend of mine tried to locate an annoying cricket for almost a week, only to discover that it was the low-battery signal on her smoke detector.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, HissyFit said:

Are you sure it's a cricket? A friend of mine tried to locate an annoying cricket for almost a week, only to discover that it was the low-battery signal on her smoke detector.

100% positive it's a cricket.  It's being quiet right now, but I don't expect that to last.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Reason #1 not to:  Allergies.

Reason #2 not to: If a mouse somehow finds it's way into my basement, my cat has been known to grab it and carry it somewhere to "play" with it. The other day she brought one upstairs, where it got loose in my bedroom. Well... apparently it died somewhere in my master closet. When I opened the door this morning to get a shirt, I was hit in the face with the unmistakable smell of death. Ugh. Freaking cat. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Reason #2 not to: If a mouse somehow finds it's way into my basement, my cat has been known to grab it and carry it somewhere to "play" with it. The other day she brought one upstairs, where it got loose in my bedroom. Well... apparently it died somewhere in my master closet. When I opened the door this morning to get a shirt, I was hit in the face with the unmistakable smell of death. Ugh. Freaking cat. 

I had this really smart cat named Daisy. On a hot summer day I was in the kitchen and she came in and dropped a garter snake at my feet. As it was wriggling away I shouted "Daisy! Take that thing outside!" Imagine my astonishment when she did just that.

• LOL 7
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I had this really smart cat named Daisy. On a hot summer day I was in the kitchen and she came in and dropped a garter snake at my feet. As it was wriggling away I shouted "Daisy! Take that thing outside!" Imagine my astonishment when she did just that.

That story just made everything better. 

• Love 6

Pet peeve for today (I'll hold it to one) - 

When the store has a twofer sale, but doesn't have enough inventory for you to purchase in twos.  Today it was Walgreen's/Fuji water, 1.5 liter, 2/$5.  Now I normally wouldn't splurge on Fiji water, but I was feeling particularly entitled (my mother having yet more issues at the LCF), so I was going to pull the trigger on a pair of Fiji waters.  They had one.  One bottle on the shelf.  Even checked the cold drink cooler - nada.

Take it to check out, whereby I'm told that since there was a higher price showing if only buying one, they wouldn't be able to honor the lower, twofer price.  I promptly told them to take it off my order, then explained how ridiculous it was to annoy a customer over 79 cents, or whatever the savings was, because their procurement department couldn't even manage to get them enough to last to the end of the sale (tomorrow).  I of course was met with blank, clueless, blinking stares by the now-two employees that it took to make the decision NOT to honor the spirit of the sale, in the interest of goodwill, during a pandemic, on a Wednesday.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

When the store has a twofer sale,

And the price many times ends up the same as it was without a sale. 🤦‍♀️

Eons ago an aunt of mine worked at Woolworth’s. If an item wasn’t moving, a sign was put up announcing 4/$1.00.

The presale price was .25 each.   The items sold at 4/$1.00 better. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• LOL 6
  • Love 1