Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

• Start Topic

Listening to others typing doesn’t bother me but if they’re typing with long fingernails it’s an annoying clickety clack sound.  This woman on the other side of my cube at a job I had several years ago did it plus I overheard a lot of her personal business which was pretty annoying on top of the typing. We were in different groups so I had no idea how much work she was actually doing.  

• Love 2

I don't mind loud typers or talkers (sometimes you hear the best gossip that way) but when we used to go into the office, I would sometimes have to visit one of our satellite offices. They have an open floor plan and one of the groups would spend almost 30 minutes every morning deciding where to eat lunch. Hearing people talk about fish and chicken and french fries at 8am drove me crazy.

• Love 5

Our next-door neighbor has the bass turned up on his TV so loud that I can barely hear my TV. It literally vibrates the walls. And to be more annoying, he has the Old Spice whistle jingle as his phone chime/ringtone. It's so loud I can hear it when he's outside, walking in front of our apartment door and window or in front of his place smoking.

The neighbor on the other side sits outside on the steps that are near our front door and has loud phone conversations.

I guess this is all still better than my former apartment neighbor's constant pot smoking.

A cousin (I guess) to the mass email blasts to people is the Christmas letter.  You know, the generically written at least a page long summary of the writers experiences over the past year.  They are corny.  I had a good friend from college that I kept in touch with for a few years after graduation.  We drifted apart for a little bit then got in touch again, she had gotten married and wanted to tell me about it.  We exchanged letters from time to time then I guess she got too busy to write - I started getting these Christmas letters and nothing else from her.  I was put off by the mass mailing feel of it plus I’m not the type to write up a journal of my past year for people to read.  Would they be interested in reading it if they hadn’t been in touch all year?  I don’t think so.  I got a couple of them from her then they stopped.  I don’t know if I got removed from her mailing list or she just stopped writing them.  This was in the time before Facebook, etc so it’s been a while since this happened.   

• Love 3

I'm a bit of a loud talker, but I come by it honestly.  Both my dad and a great aunt I spent a lot of time with growing up were very hard of hearing, so loud talking was a necessity.  It comes in handy now that I'm a teacher.  Even the kids in the back of my very large classroom can still hear me, and will be able to do so even through a mask when we finally go back face to face.  

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yes, I would imagine that Bragbook Facebook has eliminated the need for these year-end, see how well we're doing? "letters".

My cousin(’s wife) sends an annual Christmas picture with the reverse side telling what their perfect family has been up to all year. My mother and I make fun of them every year because we are horrible people.

Edited by bilgistic
  • LOL 7
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

He is one of those "blaze his own trail and live his own life", but has no capacity to "walk a mile in a another person's shoes", personality types.

Saving this turn of phrase for future use. 😉

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, janestclair said:

I'm a bit of a loud talker, but I come by it honestly.  Both my dad and a great aunt I spent a lot of time with growing up were very hard of hearing, so loud talking was a necessity.  It comes in handy now that I'm a teacher.  Even the kids in the back of my very large classroom can still hear me, and will be able to do so even through a mask when we finally go back face to face.  

I had a friend like this. Sadly, when I moved to the next town in the 1980s (pre-email and pre-BragBook ™@SuprSuprElevated) she said we couldn't be friends anymore because she couldn't converse on the telephone.

One of my daughters is a "loud talker" (her father is not the same as her 2 sisters). It only bothers me when she's visiting in my apartment with shared walls and we're chatting late into the night. But I don't tell her it worries me, and the neighbors never complain. She hears just fine, BTW.

Before I retired as a reference librarian in a college library, if "loud-talkers" were talking for an extended length of time at the desk (to their friends who had "work-study" assignments in the library) I would interrupt to ask the "loud talkers" what their major was. Then I would suggest they could go into teaching or politics because they had such a strong voice --unlike myself. 
Of course, then I would ask them to wrap up the conversation because their friends had "work" to do for the library. 😉 

• Love 6

Alas, I'm a loud talker.  My husband is forever telling me to quiet down when in public, or when I'm on the phone.  I'm not sure why, because my hearing is also good.  I even had it checked to be certain, and the tech said there were no problems.  My sister is the same way. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love 4

My BF is a loud talker sometimes. We attribute it to his decades-long career as a musician. Now, one of my BFFs, she also is one--oh my goodness. She attributes it to a combination of being a metalhead and an Italian woman from Jersey. 

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Sweedish Fish said:

I'm a quiet talker, too quiet.  I'm forever having people telling me to speak up.  I don't know which one can be more annoying to folks.

We humans tend to have a narrow window for what we consider "normal" don't we?  Goldilocks syndrome.  I know I'm guilty, especially when driving a car.  Anyone driving faster than me is a maniac, those slower are idiots.  George Carlin had a comedy routine about it, and nailed it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

My BF is a loud talker sometimes. We attribute it to his decades-long career as a musician. Now, one of my BFFs, she also is one--oh my goodness. She attributes it to a combination of being a metalhead and an Italian woman from Jersey. 

Yep. My husband was a drummer in several rock bands and a sessions musician. He sat right next to the monitors  at all the shows. His hearing has definitely been affected. But he is also from a family of loud talkers. Either way, it's annoying at times.

• Love 2

I use FB all the time (not Twitter) to keep in touch with people who live all over the place. While, yeah, there can be bragging, I can say that it's not really anything I see too often. It's just a means of communication, not a cult.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Sweedish Fish said:

I'm a quiet talker, too quiet.  I'm forever having people telling me to speak up.  I don't know which one can be more annoying to folks.

I'm very shy and quiet in general and in school growing up my teachers always had to ask me to speak up and repeat myself which I believe is the reason I am now a loud talker.  I used to have a job that required a lot of talking on the phone and my coworkers always told me how loud I was.  I try to consciously not be so loud, but it's not easy, if I speak softly or whisper on the phone the person on the other end can't understand what I'm saying. 

• Love 3

Pronunciation of the word data.  The majority of my time in IT (a number of years) people have pronounced it as “dayta” (like Data on Star Trek: The Next Generation) and never “datta”.  I’m currently on a team where 2 people pronounce it as “datta”.  Ugh. 
Then there’s the misuse of eager and anxious, you’re eagerly waiting for something when you are looking for it to happen, not anxious.  You’re anxious when you’re nervous about something happening.  

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

Pronunciation of the word data.  The majority of my time in IT (a number of years) people have pronounced it as “dayta” (like Data on Star Trek: The Next Generation) and never “datta”.  I’m currently on a team where 2 people pronounce it as “datta”.

I go back and forth, and I never really know which pronunciation is going to come out of my mouth until I've said it.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I go back and forth, and I never really know which pronunciation is going to come out of my mouth until I've said it.

Which way do you pronounce datum (or do you ever use the singular)?  Because I hear "datta" instead of "dayta" fairly frequently, but I never hear "dattum" instead of "daytum" - but, of course, people say data far more frequently than datum so I hardly ever hear the word to begin with.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, partofme said:

I'm very shy and quiet in general and in school growing up my teachers always had to ask me to speak up and repeat myself which I believe is the reason I am now a loud talker.  I used to have a job that required a lot of talking on the phone and my coworkers always told me how loud I was.  I try to consciously not be so loud, but it's not easy, if I speak softly or whisper on the phone the person on the other end can't understand what I'm saying. 

This is such an apt description of me as well. I'm still generally a quieter talker overall, but yeah, when I worked jobs where I had to answer the phone, I got the, "You don't have to be so loud!" comment, too. And occasionally I'll get that at home, too, but in that case, that just happens whenever I get really excited/passionate about whatever I'm talking about. I honestly don't realize I'm doing it until someone points it out. 

Otherwise, yeah, I've lost count of how many times people have commented on how quiet I am. My parents talked about how, when they would come in for parent-teacher conferences, the most common thing they heard about me was that the teachers wanted me to speak up more often in class. I also remember, when I was in middle school, our class got into a political discussion of some sort one day, and I actually jumped in and shared my thoughts. Afterward, I got a comment from my teacher talking about how good it was to hear me speaking up and expressing my opinion :). 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Italian woman from Jersey. 

That definitely contributes to me being a loud talker as well, although I hadn't thought of that part of it until you pointed it out.  Good call.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I say that word an awful lot as a science teacher.  I feel like I say "dayta" most of the time though, and "datta "when it's followed up with another word, like "data table" or "data driven".  Which makes no sense, but there you go. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Hahhahahaaa! But I must add that I know plenty of Jersey Italian ladies who do have indoor voices--this friend, not so much. She also regularly confuses her voice text into sending some crazy nonsense! I usually know what she means, as I've known her for 30 years.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Pronunciation of the word data.  The majority of my time in IT (a number of years) people have pronounced it as “dayta” (like Data on Star Trek: The Next Generation) and never “datta”.  I’m currently on a team where 2 people pronounce it as “datta”.  Ugh. 

It's been years since I got into the day-ta vs datta discussions. Datta always bugged me (but then, so does hearing folks say Nevadda).  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

Which way do you pronounce datum (or do you ever use the singular)?  Because I hear "datta" instead of "dayta" fairly frequently, but I never hear "dattum" instead of "daytum" - but, of course, people say data far more frequently than datum so I hardly ever hear the word to begin with.

I can't remember a time that I used the singular.  But "daytum" sounds better than "dattum".

• Love 3

I'm with @Browncoat. I never know which pronunciation of data I will use or why, but sometimes one pronunciation just seems to fit better.

I'm also often anxious about things even when I am eagerly awaiting them. I didn't realize this until I was an adult, but looking back at my childhood, I can see that it was true. I always looked forward to school starting, but I also always had an unset stomach and couldn't sleep every year before it started.

I had a boss from Nevada once, and he would always correct the way people pronounced, but I can't remember now which pronunciation was correct. I want to say that he said it was Nevadda, but I'm not sure.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, auntlada said:

I had a boss from Nevada once, and he would always correct the way people pronounced, but I can't remember now which pronunciation was correct. I want to say that he said it was Nevadda, but I'm not sure.

Probably; that's how everyone I know there/from there pronounces it -- Nevahda gets eye rolls and a correction.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

Probably; that's how everyone I know there/from there pronounces it -- Nevahda gets eye rolls and a correction.

Good to know.
Don't get me started with Illinois and Oregon. 
But if you want to know, it's
   Ill′ i noy
and it's
   Or′ ə gən

Edited by shapeshifter
12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I just noticed that certain use of prepositions bugs me. For instance, "based off" instead of "based on," or "bought it off" instead of "bought it from." And I really hate "save 50% off."

How about "should of" instead of "should have"? Makes me crazy

• Love 12
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

My husband, raised by a woman whose parents were both born in the country with the boot, yes, he does it, he says "Eyetalian".

Ded.  Every time.

So was he being ironic, or spoofing his parents’ actual accents, or heading off any would-be Italian haters?

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So was he being ironic, or spoofing his parents’ actual accents, or heading off any would-be Italian haters?

Just being his normal, correct him as many times as you wish, it won't affect his future pronunciations, self.

And I love him more 'n butter.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Don't get me started with Illinois and Oregon. 

Ah, yes. way back when I was in high school, I became friends with somebody who moved to NJ from Oregon. She educated all of us on how to say Oregon. Had that not happened, I'd probably still be saying it NJ style to this day.

I will say that it doesn't really peeve me if somebody pronounces it differently. It's not like Oregon spends a lot of time getting the word out to those of us on the east coast.

• Love 1

I remember as a kid hearing a friend pronounce orange as "or-enge"...with a lotta emphasis on that first syllable (it really got under my little-kid skin but I kept my big mouth shut...early days!) What's that all about? Sort of like the way Henry Fonda used to say, O-maha, major emphasis on the big O.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I remember as a kid hearing a friend pronounce orange as "or-enge"...with a lotta emphasis on that first syllable (it really got under my little-kid skin but I kept my big mouth shut...early days!) What's that all about? Sort of like the way Henry Fonda used to say, O-maha, major emphasis on the big O.

Okay, you've got me curious.  How else would you say them?  Maybe I'm misreading your phonetic spellings.

• Love 3
On 8/24/2020 at 11:03 AM, Cobb Salad said:

Then there’s the misuse of eager and anxious, you’re eagerly waiting for something when you are looking for it to happen, not anxious.  You’re anxious when you’re nervous about something happening.  

My understanding is that "datta" was the significantly more common pronunciation right up to when ST:TNG started airing, but "dayta" eclipsed it shortly after the show started and has continued to dominate since.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, you've got me curious.  How else would you say them?  Maybe I'm misreading your phonetic spellings.

Most people, in my experience or neck of the woods, pronounce orange as "are-enge" ("are" sounding like the verb, are). My friend strongly emphasized the "or". Fonda's emphasis on the "O" could be due to a regional accent...maybe?  I've never been to Nebraska so I really don't know. Henry also had a distinctive way of speaking.

9 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Most people, in my experience or neck of the woods, pronounce orange as "are-enge" ("are" sounding like the verb, are). My friend strongly emphasized the "or".

I pronounce the long O, but I don't emphasize it, and I almost completely lose the a - it's basically "ornge".

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I pronounce the long O, but I don't emphasize it, and I almost completely lose the a - it's basically "ornge".

Maybe it has something to do with how far west one lives in the US. I pity the tourists who travel around America, trying to understand our various ways of pronouncing simple English words (altho' at times while watching Downton Abbey, I needed a translator).

2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

My understanding is that "datta" was the significantly more common pronunciation right up to when ST:TNG started airing, but "dayta" eclipsed it shortly after the show started and has continued to dominate since.

In my experience, it 's been the opposite. All I ever hear these days is datta when it used to be dayta.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Most people, in my experience or neck of the woods, pronounce orange as "are-enge" ("are" sounding like the verb, are). My friend strongly emphasized the "or". Fonda's emphasis on the "O" could be due to a regional accent...maybe?  I've never been to Nebraska so I really don't know. Henry also had a distinctive way of speaking.

Oh I hear it now. I’m going to have to start passing out citrus fruits to my family and friends and see if they say thanks for the or-ange or ar-ange. 

But for the life of me I can’t picture another way to pronounce Omaha. 

ETA: And since I’m veering off topic, I’ll add a peeve: people who don’t grasp that some people just hear/pronounce things differently. No, I’m not being disrespectful to your daughter Kerry if I call her Carrie (or vice versa).  I honestly don’t hear the difference. 

(Can you hand me that pin?  No, the ink-pin.)

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 3

People who don't take into account other experiences.  I had a mom who criticized me for not adopting domestically and opting for surrogacy.  She was even MORE critical of me for my concern of my family NOT being open to me adopting transracially and that I could just "dump" family.  No ma'am, you can't do that in most East Asian cultures.  And even if I could "teach" my family to be politically correct (since my immediate family seems to be more open/accepting), you can't necessarily do that with the broader community.  I live in Toronto.  We have a HUGE  community here.  People talk.  It's VERY DIFFICULT to retrain older people.  You can't teach an old dog new tricks.  That mom just said I was ignorant.  I'm not.  I'm looking out for people.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I had a friend when I was a kid who pronounced it "ornse'. Don't ask me why. Maybe she just had a speech impediment.

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

That is true--and if those people are dumb, they are set to public, hahaha! I have fallen prey to random bouts of "Hey, I wonder what ever happened to that guy?"

I find it useful for checking out the unknown parents of my son's new friends. He makes new friends every year at school, and I never know the parents. And since his birthday is pretty soon after school starts and he always wants to invite his new friends to his party, I have to find addresses so we can send invitations. (I like to mail invitations because you can only give them out at school if you invite the whole class, which I don't want to do, and also kids like to get mail addressed to them.)

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

People who don't take into account other experiences.  I had a mom who criticized me for not adopting domestically and opting for surrogacy.  She was even MORE critical of me for my concern of my family NOT being open to me adopting transracially and that I could just "dump" family.  No ma'am, you can't do that in most East Asian cultures.  And even if I could "teach" my family to be politically correct (since my immediate family seems to be more open/accepting), you can't necessarily do that with the broader community.  I live in Toronto.  We have a HUGE  community here.  People talk.  It's VERY DIFFICULT to retrain older people.  You can't teach an old dog new tricks.  That mom just said I was ignorant.  I'm not.  I'm looking out for people.  

Does she also criticize women who give birth to their own children instead of adopting domestically? I mean, what business is it of hers how other people decide to have children?

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, auntlada said:

I find it useful for checking out the unknown parents of my son's new friends. He makes new friends every year at school, and I never know the parents. And since his birthday is pretty soon after school starts and he always wants to invite his new friends to his party, I have to find addresses so we can send invitations. (I like to mail invitations because you can only give them out at school if you invite the whole class, which I don't want to do, and also kids like to get mail addressed to them.)

Does she also criticize women who give birth to their own children instead of adopting domestically? I mean, what business is it of hers how other people decide to have children?

The mom was very pro-adoption.  And domestic at that.  She also thinks all people can easily unlearn ignorance or that you can easily abandon family. 

To criticize someone for how they decide to something that helps someone else -- in this case, give a home to a child who need a home -- is horrible. That in itself is a peeve of mine that I have mentioned here!

Also, I should add that I don't really, necessarily think Facebook profiles set to public means someone is "dumb." That sounded meaner than I meant it to!

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Ah, yes. way back when I was in high school, I became friends with somebody who moved to NJ from Oregon. She educated all of us on how to say Oregon. Had that not happened, I'd probably still be saying it NJ style to this day.

There's more than one way to pronounce Oregon?

• Love 1