Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

• Start Topic

I HATE when I’m driving to my daughters house without the husband, with my oldies on the radio, and some asshole is right up my butt in his big truck.  Or anyone else for that matter.  It just takes the joy out of being by yourself taking a leisurely ride.  Everyone in a hurry, and then you meet them at the light anyway.   I’m new here, so you all must have heard this a million times already.  Sorry.

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Brookside said:

something like "She was widowed in 1941 on the eve of US engagement in WW II after Pearl Harbor".

Being a [retired] college librarian, I of course wanted to find the original post that triggered the discussion about the best way to refer to the day before the Pearl Harbor attack.
Having found it, 

1. OMG!

2. @marypat57, was the "robbery money" stash to pay off future robbers, or to have on hand after they'd left with whatever visible money was in your grandma's home?

3. Your grandma and I not very different with regards to prepping for emergencies. 😉

4. Just a couple more "likes" required to earn the post a  pink border (or however the 25+ liked posts are now denoted)
    https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/1845-small-talk-the-prayer-closet/?do=findComment&comment=6261101

5. The original post is from another thread. I came across and reported another reply to a post in the wrong thread a couple of days ago, but this one now has a whole discussion going, and, I think incorrect citing of historical events does sound like a topic for Peeves.
    But I suspect there's some funkiness afoot in some browser's update.

6. Sometimes poetic license is better than historical accuracy, but it always bugs me too. 😉

Edited by shapeshifter
1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

I HATE when I’m driving to my daughters house without the husband, with my oldies on the radio, and some asshole is right up my butt in his big truck.  Or anyone else for that matter.  It just takes the joy out of being by yourself taking a leisurely ride.  Everyone in a hurry, and then you meet them at the light anyway.   I’m new here, so you all must have heard this a million times already.  Sorry.

I always hear/replay my mom's voice from when she was teaching me to drive over 50 years ago: Don't let them push you.
Then I slow down just a tiny bit. 
They usually pass me soon thereafter.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

Yes, I don’t answer numbers that aren’t familiar, but lately, the doctors have a certain service to remind you of an appointment which look like a telemarketer.  I think the doctor's offices must sell the numbers.  I don’t go anywhere else lately except doctors, lol.  Where else are they getting our numbers?  QVC, Kohl’s,etc.?  Amazon?

I am pretty sure a doctor’s office would not sell patient’s phone numbers.  I’d hope whatever reminder service they use would refrain from that as well.  They may get hacked, though.  I’m certain a great deal of those spam numbers are from autodialers that don’t need to start off with a list of purchased phone numbers.   A while back I’d get so many that I kept a diary.  The same ones would keep calling over and over again.  I’d ignore them.  They eventually went away.  I also spent a considerable amount of time last year getting myself removed from these data broker sites like Intellius, Radaris, etc that had my name, address, phone, date of birth, etc that could have been generating some of the calls.  My phone got a little quieter since then.  Plus I rarely give out my home phone number unless it’s absolutely necessary.  If I can I’ll give out my google voice number instead.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/27/2020 at 7:48 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loathe ventriloquists, clowns, and Liberace.   My late mother loved all of them, and especially when Liberace was on a TV show, or anything else, (we only had one TV when I was a kid) my Mom had to watch.     After his film career ended, Liberace wasn't just in Vegas, he was on any TV show that would have him.     

My grandmother loved Liberace beyond all reason, but if she'd ever entertained the idea (or even the concept) of his being gay she would have . . . I don't know what. 

• LOL 2

The telemarketers grab numbers local to you, by either spoofing it (that's why the caller I.D. number isn't the one you're supposed to call back for information), and looking local.  They also get out of service numbers that they use on their caller I.D., and it's usually local to you, so you'll answer.   The call blocker I bought is worth every penny, and though my 'landline' is now internet phone, and a portable, I can still block numbers.  That also comes in handy since the previous owners of my 'landline' number still haven't changed their contact numbers, and I've stopped explaining that it's been my number for years, and just block it.     

Yes, when I get that helpful call from Chase saying I can get a better deal on my credit card (no, I don't have a Chase card, and never will), I punch in the blocker code, and they're gone, at least from that number.   However, with the portable phone I used, I have to actually be on the line, and then they're gone.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The telemarketers grab numbers local to you, by either spoofing it (that's why the caller I.D. number isn't the one you're supposed to call back for information), and looking local.  They also get out of service numbers that they use on their caller I.D., and it's usually local to you, so you'll answer.   

This is my experience about 85% of the time.  I’ll let the phone ring and out of curiosity google the number online to see if it’s been flagged by Nomorobo or posted on 800notes.com.  Most of the time I come up dry.  
Then there’s those “800 service” calls that are from “your” credit card company offering you a better rate on your card.  Ignore them.  

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

This is my experience about 85% of the time.  I’ll let the phone ring and out of curiosity google the number online to see if it’s been flagged by Nomorobo or posted on 800notes.com.  Most of the time I come up dry.  
Then there’s those “800 service” calls that are from “your” credit card company offering you a better rate on your card.  Ignore them.  

My phone just puts "scam call likely" in the caller ID box.

My grandmother loved Liberace beyond all reason, but if she'd ever entertained the idea (or even the concept) of his being gay she would have . . . I don't know what. 

How could she not know?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

How could she not know?

Because of, amongst other things, where and when she grew up.  If you were born in 1910 in a rural village, you were not exposed to the diversity our children are today.  Yes, there was probably  the "flamboyant" local guy, but he was accepted as that.  Oscar Wilde was a scandal, but I'm sure that even then if he were discussed, the words gay or homosexual would never even have come up.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

My grandmother loved Liberace beyond all reason, but if she'd ever entertained the idea (or even the concept) of his being gay she would have . . . I don't know what. 

How could she not know?

I read somewhere (some actor's bio but don't remember whose) that in regular life he was nothing like his stage persona.  His normal voice was deep.  He'd put on jeans and a t-shirt, comb his hair in a "regular Joe" style and walk down the streets of Vegas without one person recognizing him.  The actor didn't even recognize him the first time he saw him offstage.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I read somewhere (some actor's bio but don't remember whose) that in regular life he was nothing like his stage persona.  His normal voice was deep.  He'd put on jeans and a t-shirt, comb his hair in a "regular Joe" style and walk down the streets of Vegas without one person recognizing him.  The actor didn't even recognize him the first time he saw him offstage.

But the public never saw that. He was so flaming he made Paul Lynde look like Ricardo Montalban.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Being a [retired] college librarian, I of course wanted to find the original post that triggered the discussion about the best way to refer to the day before the Pearl Harbor attack.

I refer to its as the night before they tried to kill Grandpa because he was on this when it happened.

Also if you believe in parallel universes, the night before universes split into one where I do exist and one where I was never born.

N_2004_6_20 Pearl Harbor -USS Shaw exploding

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

1. @marypat57, was the "robbery money" stash to pay off future robbers, or to have on hand after they'd left with whatever visible money was in your grandma's home?

2. Your grandma and I not very different with regards to prepping for emergencies. 😉

Apropos of nothing other than this post made me think about it.  After my other grandpa died my Dad and Grandma found rotted money Grandpa had buried in the backyard. All that was left was the security strips. But my Dad decided to check with the treasury and they reissued the money based on that.  $40,000 .  I to this day have no idea how Grandpa would have accumulated that money.   He was a coal miner.  But I think he never got over the trauma of the Great Depression.

Now that I think of it most of the stories of my ancestors were about interesting minor historical figures who were so stupid with money that every generation had to start over.   My brother used to say with all the fortunes won and lost, its really annoying that he isn't the Prince of something.   I wonder if my parents used that as a strategy to teach us fiscal responsibility and how much of it was lies.  Although if it was lies, it was at least two generations back because my mother is more messed up than we are.  

So here is my peeve...  I kind of wish I could figure out how to tilt things back a little more towards interesting life vs fiscally responsible.  Just a little.  Or barring that, I should really be the Princess of something :)P

• Love 3

My grandfather used to (or so we were told) bury money in jars in his backyard. He had a map for where they were, and every now and then, he'd dig them up and move them (redrawing the map). I don't know if this is a true story or not. He had a lot of gold coins, and that may be what he buried. He also had money in several different banks partly because he didn't want to put too much in one bank and lose it and partly because if the bank was giving away something to people who opened accounts, he'd open an account. By the time I remember, he worked in a hardware store and my grandmother did alterations at a laundry and cleaners business. He'd done a lot of different kinds of work in his lifetime, though, and never got over the depression, I think. They lived in a small three-bedroom, one-bath house in a not very good part of the city.

4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

That also comes in handy since the previous owners of my 'landline' number still haven't changed their contact numbers, and I've stopped explaining that it's been my number for years, and just block it.

We used to get phone calls from some guy looking for his mother. I finally figured out she had the same number as us, but in a different area code. She lived in a town about 20 minutes away, but somewhere between here and there, the area code changed. I never could figure out why he didn't know his mother's area code and that he needed to dial it.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

I refer to its as the night before they tried to kill Grandpa because he was on this when it happened.

Also if you believe in parallel universes, the night before universes split into one where I do exist and one where I was never born.

N_2004_6_20 Pearl Harbor -USS Shaw exploding

Apropos of nothing other than this post made me think about it.  After my other grandpa died my Dad and Grandma found rotted money Grandpa had buried in the backyard. All that was left was the security strips. But my Dad decided to check with the treasury and they reissued the money based on that.  $40,000 .  I to this day have no idea how Grandpa would have accumulated that money.   He was a coal miner.  But I think he never got over the trauma of the Great Depression.

Now that I think of it most of the stories of my ancestors were about interesting minor historical figures who were so stupid with money that every generation had to start over.   My brother used to say with all the fortunes won and lost, its really annoying that he isn't the Prince of something.   I wonder if my parents used that as a strategy to teach us fiscal responsibility and how much of it was lies.  Although if it was lies, it was at least two generations back because my mother is more messed up than we are.  

So here is my peeve...  I kind of wish I could figure out how to tilt things back a little more towards interesting life vs fiscally responsible.  Just a little.  Or barring that, I should really be the Princess of something :)P

I do believe in alternate universes —especially when the current one would be so much better if only I had [fill in the blank].

And so, by the power vested in me in a parallel universe where I have such power, I hereby dub thee Princess @ParadoxLost of the Land of Family Fables 👸🏼

And now I am longing to be in the alternate universe where I had —during the recent storm with “damaging winds”— rammed part of a wire coat hanger into the air conditioner hanging next to my small bedroom’s window as the 20-something guy using the room runs the noisy dinosaur 24/7 even when it’s in the 50°s and 60°s F. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

And so, by the power vested in me in a parallel universe where I have such power, I hereby dub thee Princess @ParadoxLost of the Land of Family Fables 👸🏼

I thank you @shapeshifter.  Its been exceptionally hard on me since the  end of the Game of Thrones for I am distantly, really  really distantly,  related in no real way that matters to the actor that played young Ned Stark in flashback except that I somehow worked out that I should be the rightful heir to the Iron Throne.  It was devastating to watch my fictional seat of power melted by a dragon and have that idiot cousin (nephew?), many many times removed, of mine who thinks he's a bird rule the Seven Kingdoms.  So I shall rule quite well over the Land of Family Fables because my ability to spin tall tales littered quite liberally with BS based on one sentence in Wikipedia is something inherent in me. 😜

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

Yes, I don’t answer numbers that aren’t familiar, but lately, the doctors have a certain service to remind you of an appointment which look like a telemarketer.  I think the doctor's offices must sell the numbers.  I don’t go anywhere else lately except doctors, lol.  Where else are they getting our numbers?  QVC, Kohl’s,etc.?  Amazon?

I don't either. My DD told me something I didn't know about my iPhone (don't know if it true for other systems) she is a police Captain in a major Bay Area CA city and says she get 20-30 of these calls a day. On iPhone, go to settings/phone/scroll down and and activate Silence Unknown Callers. They won't ring, but will show up in Missed calls where you can block them later, which I do.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I don't either. My DD told me something I didn't know about my iPhone (don't know if it true for other systems) she is a police Captain in a major Bay Area CA city and says she get 20-30 of these calls a day. On iPhone, go to settings/phone/scroll down and and activate Silence Unknown Callers. They won't ring, but will show up in Missed calls where you can block them later, which I do.

I wish Android phones had this option. I'm only getting 4-5 spam calls a day but it is so annoying. I block each one and they just call from a new number. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I wish Android phones had this option. I'm only getting 4-5 spam calls a day but it is so annoying. I block each one and they just call from a new number. 

I have an Android phone and get a metric shitton of spam calls. The way I deal with it is setting my regular ringtone to silent and no vibration. I set every contact to my actual/chosen ringtone so I hear when a real person or place with which I've done business is trying to reach me. I don't have that many contacts, but it's worth setting them all manually to not hear the phone ring every time some robocaller dials me up.

My phone is a not-the-latest-or-even-before-that-version Pixel, and Google recently rolled out a feature that asks unknown callers why they are calling, and 99 out of 100 times, the caller hangs up instead of answering the question, so I know they are spam.

If someone (not family/work/emergency) insists on calling me, they'd leave a message. If they really knew me, they'd know I prefer text or email and not bother calling me.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

If someone (not family/work/emergency) insists on calling me, they'd leave a message. If they really knew me, they'd know I prefer text or email and not bother calling me.

Same here. If you're not my dad or possibly one of my kids if they really have something pressing, text me first. If we need to sort something out on the phone, we can do that. I might be in the middle of a conversation with somebody, or in the grocery store, or any other number of situations where fielding a phone call is not practical. Just because I have the phone with me everywhere I go, it doesn't mean I'm good with taking phone calls everywhere I go.

Also:

36 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

metric shitton

Heh. That's a phrase that transports me immediately back to college to the first time I heard somebody describe a quantity of something as a metric shitload. When I hear that now, in my head:

Kris Jenner Drama GIF by Bunim/Murray Productions

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

In general, I am the gloomiest individual in a herd of Eyeores.  So anything that brings a smile to my face is a welcome change.

And now I'm thinking this thread should be subtitled: Watering Hole for the Herd of Eyeores

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

I had a good friend who owned a flower and gift shop in a the resort area in Lake Arrowhead and Liberace came in with several women and looked around a bit pointed to shelves  that had cut crystal on them  He pointed and said I’ll take those. He bought the whole shelf full if not more.  

10 hours ago, emma675 said:

You can block unknown callers on an Android. Problem can be if you opt to a call back vs waiting on hold or a call from a Dr. Office.

Here is some info on it https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-block-a-number-in-android/

Here is the most common way but depending on your phone you may need to take a different path

image.thumb.png.8b0485d5eb55aae39ef089719200be8c.png

• Useful 2

Re: Liberace? My mother adored him. When he'd look into the camera and wink, she'd say, "He's winking at me". My mom grew up in NYC so in retrospect, I now believe she knew what he was. I think it was amusing to her to hear my sister and me groaning dramatically. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Family history says my mom worked with Liberace. She was born in WI 1921 and was a very gifted piano player. Don't know any more of the story but given their gifts with the piano, I can believe it...

• Love 4

I also hate the telemarketeting calls. I have caller( old land line) i.d and just let them go to the machine with no message being left 9 times out of 10 unsless they just keep calling then:

When I am feeling saucy here is how I have them waste their phone minutes:

TM: Hello, can I speak to mbaywife123?

Me:  (in plain English): I am sorry I don't speak English, can I help you? And keep repeating the same round and round until they disconnect and never call again.

Another favorite:

TM: Can I speak with mbaywife123?

Me: Mommy the phone is for you ( I have no kids)and then set it on the table and the in the background have some total bullshit conversation they can hear with my non-existent child like: Mommy I just pooped my pants and the cat threw up on the floor ect., ect., ect., they never call back.

Final one for the persistent TM calls:

ME: Investigations how may I forward your call?

TM: I'm trying to reach mbaywife123.

ME: You have reached investigations, how may I forward your call?

TM: hangs up, never to be heard from again.

I now very, very rarely get these annoying calls!

• LOL 6
  • Love 9

I have a short list of groups I donate money to.  I’ll even send another donation or two to a couple of them later in the year if their pitch is different like we need x amount to fund this need, please help us.
My pet peeve is then sometimes getting mail from one of their associated groups who is asking around 10x more than what I’d normally send the 1st group to become one of their members.  I’m not made of money and if I was I wouldn’t be giving all of it to this one group!  Then there’s the planned giving, like sign up to donate x amount each month.  No.  

• Love 3

Anyone else having trouble with the poll?  I'm agnostic on the issue, but I'm curious to see how the votes are going.  So I clicked on "view results" and it warns me that if I view results, I won't be able to vote.  Fine by me.  So I confirm my choice, and it tells me "You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results."  Tried on both desktop and phone.  Then if I come back later, I see the poll again, but same result if I try to view results.  So I guess that's my peeve.

• LOL 1
8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Anyone else having trouble with the poll?  I'm agnostic on the issue, but I'm curious to see how the votes are going.  So I clicked on "view results" and it warns me that if I view results, I won't be able to vote.  Fine by me.  So I confirm my choice, and it tells me "You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results."  Tried on both desktop and phone.  Then if I come back later, I see the poll again, but same result if I try to view results.  So I guess that's my peeve.

I voted yesterday (I think...) and now it says "Vote results will be displayed once this poll will be closed" which is in three days. Most of these types of things let you look at the results once you have voted, but this place must be configured differently.

Prior to covid, I’d get annoyed when social plans revolving food would be planned super late. I’m a foodie and eat a lot, but I’m not trying to gain a bunch of weight pigging out late in the evening. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Why can't the name Pet Peeves stay as is?

That's why I put up a poll. If there was an overwhelming majority of people who thought it was cute and/or liked the idea, I'd probably change it.

(Just thought I'd clear that up in case anybody is planning on watching the poll results with concerns.)

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

That's why I put up a poll. If there was an overwhelming majority of people who thought it was cute and/or liked the idea, I'd probably change it.

(Just thought I'd clear that up in case anybody is planning on watching the poll results with concerns.)

It sounded clever at first, but after thinking about it more, I’m not sure Eeyore is the best representative of peeves. He’s more like the representative of “oh well, this is happening, no point in complaining”. 

• Love 6

I don't know much about Winnie the Pooh, but I've always understood Eeyore to be rather gloomy - sad and depressed about the state of things, not annoyed.  So I don't think it fits (but I voted "Whatever" because I've seen plenty of thread titles randomly changed and never found them to be an improvement, but I don't particularly care).

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't know much about Winnie the Pooh, but I've always understood Eeyore to be rather gloomy - sad and depressed about the state of things, not annoyed.  So I don't think it fits (but I voted "Whatever" because I've seen plenty of thread titles randomly changed and never found them to be an improvement, but I don't particularly care).

Pet Peeves: Seen subtitles, never found them to be an improvement 🙂

I kind of think the only subtitle that could be put onto a pet peeves thread would be something that alludes to us not being to reach a consensus on finding one that isn't annoying someone.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 3

I feel like I missed something, who wants to change the title of the thread & why? I don't see any reason to change it, & have found other title changes to be for no reason (The Sounds of Our Lives (formerly General Music Discussion) comes to mind), & it annoys me. 

• Love 5

I’m going to interject a peeve

Nice, usually professional, family photos where the folks have on Apple watches. Or, are too matching. One I saw recently had monogrammed shirts in their favorite football team’s colors. That’s fine and all, but the DAD had his little plaid, collared, gingham shirt monogrammed with his initials too. He looked like a complete weinie- however that’s spelled. I hate feeling cruel, but it just looked so cheesy. 

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Sweeneyswt said:

I’m going to interject a peeve

Nice, usually professional, family photos where the folks have on Apple watches. Or, are too matching. One I saw recently had monogrammed shirts in their favorite football team’s colors. That’s fine and all, but the DAD had his little plaid, collared, gingham shirt monogrammed with his initials too. He looked like a complete weinie- however that’s spelled. I hate feeling cruel, but it just looked so cheesy. 

I think you and my mom would have been friends. She and my dad always made fun of married couples who walked around dressed alike. I wish I could remember how they referred to them --some iconic couple reference from the first half of the 20th century. Anyway, seeing couples dressed alike was her peeve, but, ironically, she dressed me and my older sister alike, and then she sent matching outfits for my daughters which was the peeve of the middle one --maybe you and my middle daughter would be friends.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

They might rely on just one or two sources, but they don't seek out the source material and read it through themselves.  Just because one or two or perhaps a few people tell a person something, that doesn't mean the information being given is one-hundred percent true.

Yes, and maybe even worse when it is people who you know see eye-to-eye with you and are posting some factual looking meme because others of like mind have posted it, but it is total fiction and undermines what they (we, in this case) believe in. Argh.

And more on badly behaving owners of innocent pets: Driving to a no-pets-allowed-posted beach with their pets in the car on hot days and then, if the police happen to be parked there, leaving their pets barking in the hot car in the sun while the owners go for a swim. Or, if the police are not there, the pet owners approaching swimmers and "warning" them that they are letting their dogs off of their leashes now and then the friendly dogs jump on the bare-skin of the swimmers with their unclipped claws. 

• Love 1