Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

They can and do. It's called "neighbor spoofing" (I think). 

I’ve gotten these from time to time - some of them were calls according to my caller ID from my town hall.  I don’t answer them figuring if it was them they’d leave a message, none are ever left.  A while back I’d answer some of these calls and they were almost always someone trying to sell me solar panels. Why they can’t identify themselves properly on caller ID is a mystery to me - it feels like a scam right from the start.   These days I don’t answer the phone unless it’s from someone I already know.  For my cell phone I don’t answer a call unless the phone number is in my address book first. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

My pet driving peeve is people who realize too late their exit is coming up and try to veer across multiple lanes to reach the exit ramp. FFS, just get in position to take the next exit and then adjust your route as necessary. Better yet, figure out ahead of time when you're going to need to exit and get into position to take the exit normally. 

Around here, the exits are numbered according to the milepost on the interstate, so you know that Exit 141 is two miles from Exit 143.  When I drove to Maine a few years ago, I noticed that that was not the case in several of the New England states, so, while I knew which exit I needed, I had no idea where it was!  Exit 141 is not two miles from Exit 143 -- or it might be!  Who knows! 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Around here, the exits are numbered according to the milepost on the interstate, so you know that Exit 141 is two miles from Exit 143.  When I drove to Maine a few years ago, I noticed that that was not the case in several of the New England states, so, while I knew which exit I needed, I had no idea where it was!  Exit 141 is not two miles from Exit 143 -- or it might be!  Who knows! 

Whereas I would be wondering what in the world happened to exit 142.  I guess our thinking is it would be ridiculous to have the 1st exit be exit 5, the 7th exit exit 47, the 11th exit exit 69, and so on.  And all the exits can't be right at the mile maker, can they?  

2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And all the exits can't be right at the mile maker, can they?  

They're pretty close.  They do it this way so that if they need to add an exit (which has happened!), it's easy to add a number.  What happens if an exit has to be added and the numbers are sequential?  Do they renumber all the exits?

My newest pandemic pet peeve - groups who must all go to the grocery store together. If there are 2 adults and several children, one of the adults should stay home or in the car with their kids. I get that they have been cooped up, but the grocery store is not the place to let them loose. And the groups of several adults make me want to scream. This is not Florida, people, I expect you to do better! (Sorry to any Floridians, but your state is currently a mess).

• Love 13
2 hours ago, supposebly said:

Why do exits need to be numbered anyway? Just name them based on where they lead. That seems more useful to me. 

Here they're generally both, which is especially helpful when exit 6 is Whatever Blvd, and exit 7 is Whatever Street, and you're not from the area and may not know there are both and thus take the wrong one.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, supposebly said:

Why do exits need to be numbered anyway? Just name them based on where they lead. That seems more useful to me. 

They have both names and numbers here, but no one would ever use the number.  I can't even tell you what number "my" exit is.

13 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

My pet driving peeve is people who realize too late their exit is coming up and try to veer across multiple lanes to reach the exit ramp. FFS, just get in position to take the next exit and then adjust your route as necessary. Better yet, figure out ahead of time when you're going to need to exit and get into position to take the exit normally.

It's particularly vexing nowadays, when almost everyone has GPS either via an integrated navigation system or their phone and has thus heard the "in one mile, exit X on the right" heads-up.  I thus wonder if a lot of these idiots are not people driving in unfamiliar territory and not realizing the exit they need is so close, but people just not paying attention, driving as far to the left as they can in order to go faster, and then coming off of mental auto-pilot a bit too late.  Of course, that would make the zooming across lanes even worse, because if they're familiar with the area, there is no problem in just taking the next exit and backtracking.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, supposebly said:

They're both around here, too.  I do know my exit number, and I find it useful for estimating how long it will take me to get home if I'm on a driving trip.  My town is small enough that the mileage signs don't mention it until I'm within 20 miles, but if I get on the interstate at exit 18 and my exit is 118, then I know I'm about an hour and a half from home, if all goes well.

• Love 2

my pet peeve as a 50+ woman, I want a casual sundress that I can wear to non-dressy events, walking around shopping or hanging out at an outdoor venue.  I would like it to have thick enough straps to hide my bra, and I would like it to hit just above the knee or slightly below. All I can find is stuff like this:  

image.png.f0e2d45377df53784167becd6fa77841.pngimage.png.bae5bc72a47a7ae46cf2047d9e1b5ea3.png

Or, if I do find a dress that covers my boobs, back and cooch, it looks like Laura Ingalls mom wore it. WTH? My long running pet peeve since I was 35 years old is that womens' clothes are either young/sexy/tight/short/small that the teens wear or frumpy/ugly/long/loose fitting that grandma wears. Isn't there an in between? Stylish, but covers the parts that aren't as smooth/tight anymore but without making you look like you're wearing a muu muu or pantaloons? 

And I don't like maxi dresses, they are too long on me, I am short and I end up having to hold it up when I walk or drag it on the ground. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, BexKeps said:

my pet peeve as a 50+ woman, I want a casual sundress that I can wear to non-dressy events, walking around shopping or hanging out at an outdoor venue.  I would like it to have thick enough straps to hide my bra, and I would like it to hit just above the knee or slightly below. All I can find is stuff like this:  

image.png.f0e2d45377df53784167becd6fa77841.pngimage.png.bae5bc72a47a7ae46cf2047d9e1b5ea3.png

Or, if I do find a dress that covers my boobs, back and cooch, it looks like Laura Ingalls mom wore it. WTH? My long running pet peeve since I was 35 years old is that womens' clothes are either young/sexy/tight/short/small that the teens wear or frumpy/ugly/long/loose fitting that grandma wears. Isn't there an in between? Stylish, but covers the parts that aren't as smooth/tight anymore but without making you look like you're wearing a muu muu or pantaloons? 

And I don't like maxi dresses, they are too long on me, I am short and I end up having to hold it up when I walk or drag it on the ground. 

Try Just Fashion Now.com. They have really cute sundresses and they're cheap.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, BexKeps said:

image.png.f0e2d45377df53784167becd6fa77841.png.

This looks almost more like a nightgown than a sundress :p. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, BexKeps said:

Have you tried this site?  Not particularly cheap but generally great quality.  Available in different lengths, figure flattering, and don't make you look like Mrs Ingalls Wilder!  Looks like free shipping on returns.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/us/l/women/dresses-and-jumpsuits/

49 minutes ago, Sweeneyswt said:

I like M and S. Boden is also good- I typically watch for sales. 

Bodenusa.com they have some nice dresses on sale right now (in my opinion)

They have very nice dresses. A little on the pricey side though.

On 8/5/2020 at 12:26 PM, BexKeps said:

I've thought this since I was in my mid-20's trying to find stylish work appropriate attire. A lot of the modest clothes are boring. But then the super cute, fun stuff is always short, low-cut and/or tight. Why aren't there more beautiful dresses that cover up everything?! I think fit and flare dresses are flattering on most women, but a lot of the ones I see are either too skimpy or very long/old lady looking dresses.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I've thought this since I was in my mid-20's trying to find stylish work appropriate attire. A lot of the modest clothes are boring. But then the super cute, fun stuff is always short, low-cut and/or tight. Why aren't there more beautiful dresses that cover up everything?! I think fit and flare dresses are flattering on most women, but a lot of the ones I see are either too skimpy or very long/old lady looking dresses.

Wrap dresses are always classic.

• Love 5

I've always had issues with wrap dresses fitting properly on the top and bottom because my top is a smaller size than my bottom. I have the same issue with any V-neck crossover dress (I don't know what the real name is, but where one side crosses over the other to form a V-neck), which is a peeve, because I so often like the way they look, but if they fit my bottom, then they are gaping open on the top. The only time I have been able to wear such a thing was when I was pregnant.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I can't figure out how to post photos from google! lol That's my current peeve. 

Right click on the photo, left click on "Copy Image Address", paste it into the comment box. 🙂

Edited by GaT
  • Love 3

I've been trying to find shortie (babydoll?) pajamas forever! The ones in catalogs--the inseams are about 3". Give me a break. The pj shorts sets that have longer (& more comfy) inseams are priced from $70 on up. Who are clothes manufacturers thinking of? Certainly not women over 40. 

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've been trying to find shortie (babydoll?) pajamas forever! The ones in catalogs--the inseams are about 3". Give me a break. The pj shorts sets that have longer (& more comfy) inseams are priced from $70 on up. Who are clothes manufacturers thinking of? Certainly not women over 40. 

That’s one of my pet peeves too! I can’t find cotton knit shorts with a 7 inch inseam. 3 or 5 inch are everywhere, but then the length skips right to 10 inch. I only wear shorts around the house but still, the 5 inch are too short for me and I’m tugging them down all day.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

We're supposed to be wearing granny flannels and staying in the kitchen.

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

That’s one of my pet peeves too! I can’t find cotton knit shorts with a 7 inch inseam. 3 or 5 inch are everywhere, but then the length skips right to 10 inch. I only wear shorts around the house but still, the 5 inch are too short for me and I’m tugging them down all day.

And I can't find 5-inch inseams!  Unless, of course, they have a very low rise.  

• Love 2

Now that reminds me. Why do bathrobes almost always have these wide open sleeves? They fall into my coffee, get in the way of making breakfast and are overall so unpractical. If I wanted to wear my kimono, I would but certainly not in the morning when making breakfast and feeding my cats.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Now that reminds me. Why do bathrobes almost always have these wide open sleeves? They fall into my coffee, get in the way of making breakfast and are overall so unpractical. If I wanted to wear my kimono, I would but certainly not in the morning when making breakfast and feeding my cats.

Mine has burns all along the hem of the sleeves from lifting the tea kettle off the range.

• Love 1

@BexKeps, I don't know how you feel about Amazon or fast fashion, but if you just search "knee-length sundress," a bazillion things come up--basically a whole bunch of brands selling basically the same things in a variety of colors, prints, cuts, etc (makes me think they all come from the same place under different brand names on Amazon for whatever [probably nefarious] reason). I have bought a bunch of maxi dresses from vendors like this and have had pretty good luck in regard to price and quality--nice jersey-type fabric, not see through, easy care instructions...

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Personally, I carry a rolling pin with me everywhere I go.

[shapeshifter admonishes while hefting her rolling pin] Ha! If you ever even lifted a real rolling pin you wouldn't even joke about it! 
😉

This summer I've been cutting off pants I haven't worn in years to my preferred length. I don't even bother to hem them. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

My inability to count. For years I did counted cross stitch and, inevitably, I would mess up occasionally but nothing too bad. I quit because I had carpal tunnel problems with both hands but recently began again because there are only so many jigsaw puzzles in the world and I've done most of them. I bought a very complex kit, forgetting what it would be like to stare at a chart and count spaces and change colors and...I have messed this thing up so badly I'm about to scream and throw it across the room. Even this morning, when I was super careful, I seem to have put something in the wrong place but can't tell exactly where because the colors in the pattern are just a slight shade off from each other. I know no one will ever know but me, but the fact that I keep screwing up is extremely peeving.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ABay said:

Even this morning, when I was super careful, I seem to have put something in the wrong place but can't tell exactly where because the colors in the pattern are just a slight shade off from each other.

Oh, I feel your pain. So frustrating!

My peeve tonight is when I taste a hot pepper and think "Oh, that's not so hot" - put it all in the casserole and make what could be a terrific dinner much too spicy. Well, at least my sinuses are clear!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

My peeve tonight is when I taste a hot pepper and think "Oh, that's not so hot" - put it all in the casserole and make what could be a terrific dinner much too spicy. Well, at least my sinuses are clear!

That reminds me of a peeve of sorts: When people ask me how hot something is.  That depends on your own taste;  I love spicy food and things have to get fairly far up the Scoville scale before I say "that's hot", so if I say it's medium, but they're sensitive to heat level, it'll be hot to them.  If I made it, I can tell you what ingredient(s) and how much is in there (and if I'm making things for people I don't know like spicy food, I make it milder), but if we're at a restaurant?  For my three closest friends, we've eaten together so many times (you know, back when one could do such a thing) that if I'm familiar with the dish I can say, "It'll be too hot for you" or "You'll be fine", but anyone else I have no way of making that judgment call. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

On 8/2/2020 at 10:44 AM, marypat57 said:

Happyfatchick:

Thanks for the sweet comments about my grandma.  She truly was a wonderful person.  

She was widowed on the eve of WW II (my grandfather was buried on 12/5/41), and left with 5 children between the ages of 16 and 6 , in  addition to her husband's parents to provide for. 

World War II started in 1939.

On 8/3/2020 at 7:54 AM, Scarlett45 said:

The day started off in a crazy way because the caregiver CANCELLED on me at 11:55pm the night before because she had anxiety and wanted to be with her family on Sunday because her brother died on a Sunday. (Young lady who’s brother committed suicide) I couldn’t even respond because the tips of my ears and cheeks had turned red (y’all know I’m black so if my face was red I was LIVID as fuck). I eventually got it together enough to say that of course her health took priority before anything else, but she should’ve cancelled the week or the DAY before when we talked on the phone, and if she isn’t healthy enough to commit to jobs she should not do so- especially how necessary the work is! 

I'm sorry, but why would I know that you're black?

6 hours ago, Moose135 said:

The war really didn't start for the United States until Pearl Harbor.

"She was widowed on the eve of WW II (my grandfather was buried on 12/5/41)"

Perhaps rather than dismissing two years of combat and countless deaths, a more considerate wording from MARYPAT57 would have been something like "She was widowed in 1941 on the eve of US engagement in WW II after Pearl Harbor".  (Poorly written I know, but you get what I mean, I hope.)

Edited by Brookside
On 8/2/2020 at 6:46 AM, Cobb Salad said:

I’ve gotten these from time to time - some of them were calls according to my caller ID from my town hall.  I don’t answer them figuring if it was them they’d leave a message, none are ever left.  A while back I’d answer some of these calls and they were almost always someone trying to sell me solar panels. Why they can’t identify themselves properly on caller ID is a mystery to me - it feels like a scam right from the start.   These days I don’t answer the phone unless it’s from someone I already know.  For my cell phone I don’t answer a call unless the phone number is in my address book first. 

Yes, I don’t answer numbers that aren’t familiar, but lately, the doctors have a certain service to remind you of an appointment which look like a telemarketer.  I think the doctor's offices must sell the numbers.  I don’t go anywhere else lately except doctors, lol.  Where else are they getting our numbers?  QVC, Kohl’s,etc.?  Amazon?

• Love 2