Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

Recommended Posts

I am not necessarily talking abut grammar.  Have you ever worked with someone or know someone that no matter what you did it wasn't good enough?   It gets to the point where I ask them to do it, just so I don't have to hear them bitch about how I was doing it wrong.  Planting a plant, mowing the lawn, ironing a shirt, doing the dishes.   Those types of things.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I am not necessarily talking abut grammar.  Have you ever worked with someone or know someone that no matter what you did it wasn't good enough?   It gets to the point where I ask them to do it, just so I don't have to hear them bitch about how I was doing it wrong.  Planting a plant, mowing the lawn, ironing a shirt, doing the dishes.   Those types of things.

 

Gee, that sounds mighty specific. Are you married?

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, auntlada said:

Yes. And the past tense of lie is not laid because laid requires an object.

So is "She got laid" grammatically correct?

  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

Here's a guide:

Fine. Heh, I said I was happy not knowing, but now that you have officially educated me, I will probably not get it wrong again.  

Looks like to me, I just have to ask myself "Can I substitute the word 'put' in this sentence?" If so, it's lay.

I am putting my dress on the bed.
I put the baby down in her crib every afternoon.
I put the folded laundry on the dresser yesterday and it's still there.
I have put the mail on the table many times, even though there's a bin for it.

Whereas that doesn't work at all for lie:

I am putting down.
I put down at 3:00 every day.
I put down to watch TV yesterday afternoon and fell asleep until dinner.
I have put down on the couch in the past, but now I nap in bed.

 

Which now means that I can now do this: "The shirt is laying sitting lying in the drawer."

  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Gee, that sounds mighty specific. Are you married?

Back in the day, I was "volunteered" to do things and told about it after the fact.  The person that I was helping out was such a giant pain the ass, everything needed to be done a certain way. 

The lawn had to be mowed at a certain time of day in a specific direction.   The type of lawn that didn't have a dandelion anywhere.   The lawn mower blades had to be sharpened prior to each mowing.

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Have I ever mention that my pet peeve is when a thread gets side tracked into picking apart grammar?

My fear at voicing this peeve is so great that I ran this post through grammar check tool.

If my grammar is bad it is not my fault or it is at least not bad enough that the grammar check found my errors.

The grammar check tool did not find any errors so my grammar is at least as good as the grammar of the software designer.

The sentence proclaiming that my grammar rises to the level of the software designer originally had an error in it.

I am not convinced that there was an actual error.  I think the software is a narcissist.

My sentence accusing the software of being a narcissist had two errors in it.

My first correction had one error in it.  

I think that proves my point.  

I don't know what my point was.

Ohh, what time myself start that myself were only moving to torture you are a that bite taking that badly grammar translation tool this myself find {Oh, when I started this I was just going to torture you a bit with this bad grammar translation tool that I found.| 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

Have I ever mention that my pet peeve is when a thread gets side tracked into picking apart grammar?

My grammar is really bad.   Commas are free, I stick them in everywhere. 

A pet peeve about myself is that I constantly spell the word "color", when I am trying to spell the word "collar".   I can't stop doing it. 

 

Edited by icemiser69 · Reason: Ironically enough, spelling.
  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Commas are free, I stick them in everywhere. 

And they save lives:

"Let's eat Grandma!"

"Let's eat, Grandma!"

(Sorry, I've always loved that one. Also the "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" joke.)

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

Peeve: Overly picky citation requirements.

I'm spending more time and energy on trying to make the citations the way the online course mods want them than on the actual content of the assignment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Today's peeve: people who don't run on my schedule.

I'm kidding, of course, but I am irritated that the mowers came at 9:30 this morning and I had only gone to sleep around 3:00. It's Saturday, people!

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

They start really early at the school across the street, but I don't have to be up to unlock their gate. I don't blame the guys for wanting to get finished before it's in the 90s, I just wanted a little more sleep.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/4/2020 at 6:51 PM, icemiser69 said:

My grammar is really bad.   Commas are free, I stick them in everywhere. 

 

 

So you're a fan of the Oxford Comma?

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I just ran into one of my biggest PP's. I must have four hundred and eighty seven thousand "tupperware" containers. How many lids do I have, you may ask. TWO! I just made a huge batch of chili and I was trying to portion it out to the freezer, where do they go? Where?

  • Laugh 13

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

So you're a fan of the Oxford Comma?

The Oxford Comma rules!

 

7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I just ran into one of my biggest PP's. I must have four hundred and eighty seven thousand "tupperware" containers. How many lids do I have, you may ask. TWO! I just made a huge batch of chili and I was trying to portion it out to the freezer, where do they go? Where?

The same place all those single socks go...

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I just ran into one of my biggest PP's. I must have four hundred and eighty seven thousand "tupperware" containers. How many lids do I have, you may ask. TWO! I just made a huge batch of chili and I was trying to portion it out to the freezer, where do they go? Where?

I have the same problem. I try to keep them together, dad just throws them into this huge dark cupboard (that's awkward to navigate, and I need to use my phone light when seriously searching). He then complains when I buy more of those containers, because I can't find anything that matches. 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

A few years ago I was sick of the damaged or missing lid, and the plastic container cupboard.   I took all of the containers out, lined them up on the counters, and table, and then matched the lids to the containers.    Anything that was missing a lid, or container, or anything damaged went in recycle.   I ended up with only a few matching pairs, and the right sizes.   Then I tried to figure out what sizes I actually use, and then bought some of the plastic containers that click onto the lid.     I ended up with so much room in that cupboard, and I can actually find a container when I need one.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I just ran into one of my biggest PP's. I must have four hundred and eighty seven thousand "tupperware" containers. How many lids do I have, you may ask. TWO! I just made a huge batch of chili and I was trying to portion it out to the freezer, where do they go? Where?

https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Attached-Plastic-Container-Seen/dp/B00KPP2RI8

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm peeved by the different brands that makes "tupperware" that looks the same, but is slightly different. I have some short round ones and tall round ones with screw on lids. They look almost exactly alike (the edge around the top is slightly different) But the Glad lids only fit the Glad container, Ziplock only fits Ziplock. They come so close to fitting, but not quite.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I'm peeved by the different brands that makes "tupperware" that looks the same, but is slightly different. I have some short round ones and tall round ones with screw on lids. They look almost exactly alike (the edge around the top is slightly different) But the Glad lids only fit the Glad container, Ziplock only fits Ziplock. They come so close to fitting, but not quite.

Absolutely, THIS!. I have filled containers only to discover the lid I had was just slightly different. Cue dumping the food in a another container and washing first container. Now I make sure the lid available fits the container before I put the stuff in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I just ran into one of my biggest PP's. I must have four hundred and eighty seven thousand "tupperware" containers. How many lids do I have, you may ask. TWO! I just made a huge batch of chili and I was trying to portion it out to the freezer, where do they go? Where?

 

20 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

A few years ago I was sick of the damaged or missing lid, and the plastic container cupboard.   I took all of the containers out, lined them up on the counters, and table, and then matched the lids to the containers.    Anything that was missing a lid, or container, or anything damaged went in recycle.   I ended up with only a few matching pairs, and the right sizes.   Then I tried to figure out what sizes I actually use, and then bought some of the plastic containers that click onto the lid.     I ended up with so much room in that cupboard, and I can actually find a container when I need one.    

I do this one a year or so and on my last trip to visit my parents I did it with my moms Tupperware cabinet (filled with actual Tupperware).

This reminds me of a recent word problem I created:

TRH had 4 scrunchies. One broke and she had zero left.
TRH ordered a pack of 6 scrunchies which arrived a few weeks ago. How many scrunchies does THR have?

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Years ago, I replaced all my plastic food storage containers with glass (two of the 18-piece Pyrex snapware sets in the Costco coupon book; that was more than I needed, but 18 wasn't quite enough between pantry items, refrigerator items, and containers available for leftovers).  I'm very happy with them (and they have a lifetime warranty, although I have heard they're no longer offering that with new purchases).

I never had a "where's the lid?!" issue with the plastic stuff, probably because I didn't have a ton of containers so they were all in one small place and they were all the same brand.  At my parents' house, my mom used to have them - of varying brands - in three different places, and with it being hard to tell sometimes what lid goes with what container (as y'all have said, the different brands are so similar the slight difference can be missed when putting washed containers/lids away), it could be a chore to find the matching lid.  Thankfully she had me help her sort all her kitchen stuff several years ago and get rid of some excess, including enough containers that they're now all in one place.  The "dammit, that's a Gladware, not a Ziploc" confusion can still happen, but at least there's only one spot to paw through looking for the right one.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

This reminds me of a recent word problem I created:


TRH had 4 scrunchies. One broke and she had zero left.
TRH ordered a pack of 6 scrunchies which arrived a few weeks ago. How many scrunchies does THR have?

Ooh!  Ooh!  I know this one.  Seventeen, dusty and under the couch, where the cat batted them.  But they're all about to break at the seam when you go to put them on.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 13

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

TRH had 4 scrunchies. One broke and she had zero left.
TRH ordered a pack of 6 scrunchies which arrived a few weeks ago. How many scrunchies does THR have?

If she has cats, none. 

LOL, I see @SoMuchTV got there ahead of me. Also, check under the frig.

Edited by GaT
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

34 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

 

I do this one a year or so and on my last trip to visit my parents I did it with my moms Tupperware cabinet (filled with actual Tupperware).

This reminds me of a recent word problem I created:

TRH had 4 scrunchies. One broke and she had zero left.
TRH ordered a pack of 6 scrunchies which arrived a few weeks ago. How many scrunchies does THR have?

9 because as soon as the scrunchies she ordered showed up she found the missing ones.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't had the cats vs. hair ties problem in a long time since the ties are always either in my hair or the drawer, but way back when a friend and her two cats lived with me, one of the cats opened drawers.  And he once opened my bathroom drawer to steal a fabric headband.  We could not find it anywhere.  When she moved out, we could not find it anywhere.  When I moved out and the whole place was empty, I could not find it anywhere. 

Where did it go?!

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I haven't had the cats vs. hair ties problem in a long time since the ties are always either in my hair or the drawer, but way back when a friend and her two cats lived with me, one of the cats opened drawers.  And he once opened my bathroom drawer to steal a fabric headband.  We could not find it anywhere.  When she moved out, we could not find it anywhere.  When I moved out and the whole place was empty, I could not find it anywhere. 

Where did it go?!

Did this cat also know how to flush the toilet?

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

This all brings up a whole 'nother pet peeve.  What do you call those dang things?  I'm assuming the original question about scrunchies was referring to the covered rubber bands you use for a ponytail (but maybe not, Google tells me the original 90's (80's?) version is coming back).  I grew up calling them "pony tail holders" but that's a mouthful for such a little thing.  Hair tie?  But nothing's actually tied.  Rubber band?  But those are a different thing, that would only be called into service as a last resort.  Hair elastic?  Aren't we fancy!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, GaT said:

Did this cat also know how to flush the toilet?

Who knew cats were plainclothes fashion police.

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I haven't had the cats vs. hair ties problem in a long time since the ties are always either in my hair or the drawer, but way back when a friend and her two cats lived with me, one of the cats opened drawers.  And he once opened my bathroom drawer to steal a fabric headband.  We could not find it anywhere.  When she moved out, we could not find it anywhere.  When I moved out and the whole place was empty, I could not find it anywhere. 

Where did it go?!

Many years ago, my husband had a watch go missing from his nightstand.  (Obviously we had cats.)  This was in the era of those digital watches that beeped on the hour.  So for several days, at a minute or so before the hour, we had to station ourselves around the house and try to hear and trace the beep.  It finally turned up behind a laundry room door (that was always in the open position, against a wall).

As for the headband - do you have heat/AC registers on the floor?

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Many years ago when I was working I had my own little window cubicle, all nice & private. I had a large pack of gum that I had just opened on my desk. I went away for a while, & when I came back & looked for the gum, I couldn't find it anywhere. I figured someone had come by & taken it while I was gone. Close. Months later I was taking some book off of a overhead shelf when lo & behold, there was the pack of gum, hidden behind the books. Completely chewed up with tiny little teeth marks. Mice. They had come up on my desk, grabbed the gum, climbed up the wall to the shelf with it, & hidden it where they could just chew away to their hearts content.

  • Laugh 8
  • Surprise 6

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, GaT said:

Did this cat also know how to flush the toilet?

Toilet lids are kept closed in my home, but the headband was for when I washed my face, not for wearing in public; he'd have had no need to channel his inner Mr. Blackwell.

7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

As for the headband - do you have heat/AC registers on the floor?

Not in that place, no.  And it wasn't under the stove, because I remodeled the kitchen before selling and still never found it.

7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

What do you call those dang things?  I'm assuming the original question about scrunchies was referring to the covered rubber bands you use for a ponytail (but maybe not, Google tells me the original 90's (80's?) version is coming back).  I grew up calling them "pony tail holders" but that's a mouthful for such a little thing.  Hair tie?  But nothing's actually tied. 

Yeah, I pondered over word choice, too.  As a kid, they were ponytail holders.  For a while, scrunchies - different than ponytail holders; they were big poofy things with fabric over the elastic - were the rage.  For a long time, I've just used the basic brown bands from Goody, which are called "elastics" on the package but used to say "ties".  So, whatever - hair thingies.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

This all brings up a whole 'nother pet peeve.  What do you call those dang things?  I'm assuming the original question about scrunchies was referring to the covered rubber bands you use for a ponytail (but maybe not, Google tells me the original 90's (80's?) version is coming back).  I grew up calling them "pony tail holders" but that's a mouthful for such a little thing.  Hair tie?  But nothing's actually tied.  Rubber band?  But those are a different thing, that would only be called into service as a last resort.  Hair elastic?  Aren't we fancy!

 

2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I pondered over word choice, too.  As a kid, they were ponytail holders.  As a teen, scrunchies - different than ponytail holders; they were big poofy things with fabric over the elastic - were the rage.  For a long time, I've just used the basic brown elastics from Goody, which are called "elastics" on the package but used to say "ties".  So, whatever - hair thingies.

Call them what they are, cat toys

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, GaT said:

Call them what they are, cat toys

This :D. We have some little black ones that one of our cats just goes nuts over. She'll walk around with it hanging out her mouth* or paw at and pounce on it.

*We don't let her play with them too often when she does find one, because we don't want her to accidentally swallow one or something. But we do let her have a bit of fun with them for a few moments ::). 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

This :D. We have some little black ones that one of our cats just goes nuts over. She'll walk around with it hanging out her mouth* or paw at and pounce on it.

*We don't let her play with them too often when she does find one, because we don't want her to accidentally swallow one or something. But we do let her have a bit of fun with them for a few moments ::). 

Absolutely. Do not let her swallow it. They will tangled get in their intestines and believe me, it's an agonizing death.

/former vet tech.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post

Oof. Yeah. Best to just stop altogether, then, definitely. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ooh!  Ooh!  I know this one.  Seventeen, dusty and under the couch, where the cat batted them.  But they're all about to break at the seam when you go to put them on.

 

3 hours ago, GaT said:

If she has cats, none. 

LOL, I see @SoMuchTV got there ahead of me. Also, check under the frig.

 

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

9 because as soon as the scrunchies she ordered showed up she found the missing ones.

1980s style gold star for @peacheslatour. This is is the correct answer!
I do have cats but they tend to leave my hair things alone. These were found in a pair of shorts I haven't worn in a while, my purse, a gym bag that obviously hasn't been opened in awhile and my car.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

This all brings up a whole 'nother pet peeve.  What do you call those dang things?  I'm assuming the original question about scrunchies was referring to the covered rubber bands you use for a ponytail (but maybe not, Google tells me the original 90's (80's?) version is coming back).  I grew up calling them "pony tail holders" but that's a mouthful for such a little thing.  Hair tie?  But nothing's actually tied.  Rubber band?  But those are a different thing, that would only be called into service as a last resort.  Hair elastic?  Aren't we fancy!

On the left is what I am referring to as scrunchies, which I had left in the 90s until recently when I realized how awesome they are for making messy buns and managing my pandemic hair. The right is a pony tail holder or hair tie.

image.png.e5b6119ad51648112d9960700e4877ff.png

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

They are all called "hair doo-ies" here in the fishbowl. I guess "doo-ies" is short for "doohickies."

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/6/2020 at 6:36 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

A few years ago I was sick of the damaged or missing lid, and the plastic container cupboard.   I took all of the containers out, lined them up on the counters, and table, and then matched the lids to the containers.    Anything that was missing a lid, or container, or anything damaged went in recycle.   I ended up with only a few matching pairs, and the right sizes.   Then I tried to figure out what sizes I actually use, and then bought some of the plastic containers that click onto the lid.     I ended up with so much room in that cupboard, and I can actually find a container when I need one.    

I need to do this when dad's at work, and get it done right away. I've tried dragging everything out, and telling him, "Don't throw that back in there! I need to organize everything" but he throws it all back in there. 

I've been feeling absolutely miserable recently, but the other night, I finally organized tabs I've had open for months. I copied and pasted them into five different emails to myself, so that I can either just forget about them there instead, or search my emails for whatever I'm looking for. I already have a lot of tabs open again, but just in one browser window. My phone is terrible, and I need to do that next. I leave things open, thinking that I'll get back to them, and then I don't. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/4/2020 at 9:34 AM, icemiser69 said:

It gets to the point where I ask them to do it, just so I don't have to hear them bitch about how I was doing it wrong.  Planting a plant, mowing the lawn, ironing a shirt, doing the dishes.   Those types of things.

So you know my mother.   I was making cookies once, putting the dough balls on the cookie sheet - she said I should have been putting them on in rows, rather than columns.  Three rows of four, four columns of three - what the hell is the difference?!  The other day, I was filling the birdbath “wrong”.  When I started, it was 1/3 full of dirty water. When I finished it was full of clean water.  Seemed like a success to me.  She felt otherwise.

She would tell Venus Williams she was playing tennis wrong and Julia Child she was cooking incorrectly.  Doesn’t matter that she has never played tennis and can’t cook worth a damn.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Laugh 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ants! There is big ant hill very close the the house and many smaller ones along the driveway and path to the side door. Usually I leave them alone because after many years of annual invasions, I'm just happy they aren't all over the sink and kitchen floor. But this is too close for comfort so I'm going to commit large-scale anticide and them spray diatomaceous earth around the doors.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

On 6/7/2020 at 4:29 PM, SoMuchTV said:

his all brings up a whole 'nother pet peeve.  What do you call those dang things?  I'm assuming the original question about scrunchies was referring to the covered rubber bands you use for a ponytail (but maybe not, Google tells me the original 90's (80's?) version is coming back).  I grew up calling them "pony tail holders" but that's a mouthful for such a little thing.  Hair tie?  But nothing's actually tied.  Rubber band?  But those are a different thing, that would only be called into service as a last resort.  Hair elastic?  Aren't we fancy!

 

On 6/7/2020 at 4:45 PM, Bastet said:

Yeah, I pondered over word choice, too.  As a kid, they were ponytail holders.  For a while, scrunchies - different than ponytail holders; they were big poofy things with fabric over the elastic - were the rage.  For a long time, I've just used the basic brown bands from Goody, which are called "elastics" on the package but used to say "ties".  So, whatever - hair thingies.

 

On 6/7/2020 at 8:31 PM, forumfish said:

They are all called "hair doo-ies" here in the fishbowl. I guess "doo-ies" is short for "doohickies."

Chez Rat they are all referred to as "hair thingies" and a ruder name as well - but hair claws are also referred to as "thingies."

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

 

 

Chez Rat they are all referred to as "hair thingies" and a ruder name as well - but hair claws are also referred to as "thingies."

Lol, I always brag to my husband how articulate we all are. Tee hee.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Be careful with the hair things and cats, everyone. I know a person who had to take her cat to the vet for an emergency operation to remove SIXTEEN of them from her cat's belly! That said, I'll let mine play with one if I'm right there, like in the bathroom brushing my teeth or dyeing my hair or whatever. (Oops, I just realized that Peaches already covered this.)

Speaking of cats, oh my goodness! I fell asleep on the couch last night and woke up at 4 a.m. to the sound of a cabinet being banged open and shut in the kitchen--the two bads can't always quite get it open and it just slams closed (not hard enough that it would hurt them--the little rubbery things on the corners have come off, hence the "bang"). Turns out, though, that they'd managed at least once to keep it open to grab a bag of dried raw chicken pieces and, because they couldn't unzip it, they chewed that shit. Which ties into the other peeve being discussed above...

I had to, in the middle of the night, find an appropriately sized container and lid to put the food in (and rearrange the cabinet a little AND wrangle a piece of duct tape for the interim). Turns out that the taller miso soup take-out one was perfect. 

And because they don't do this too often, I assumed that maybe they were legitimately hungry and not just being jerks. Then I struggled over whether to give them a snack at the risk "rewarding" their behavior.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Be careful with the hair things and cats, everyone. I know a person who had to take her cat to the vet for an emergency operation to remove SIXTEEN of them from her cat's belly! That said, I'll let mine play with one if I'm right there, like in the bathroom brushing my teeth or dyeing my hair or whatever. (Oops, I just realized that Peaches already covered this.)

Speaking of cats, oh my goodness! I fell asleep on the couch last night and woke up at 4 a.m. to the sound of a cabinet being banged open and shut in the kitchen--the two bads can't always quite get it open and it just slams closed (not hard enough that it would hurt them--the little rubbery things on the corners have come off, hence the "bang"). Turns out, though, that they'd managed at least once to keep it open to grab a bag of dried raw chicken pieces and, because they couldn't unzip it, they chewed that shit. Which ties into the other peeve being discussed above...

I had to, in the middle of the night, find an appropriately sized container and lid to put the food in (and rearrange the cabinet a little AND wrangle a piece of duct tape for the interim). Turns out that the taller miso soup take-out one was perfect. 

Little shits!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

The weird thing was, I didn't even feel that annoyed at getting up. My schedule feels wacky, even though I'm doing regular 9-5 work all week.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Speaking of cats, oh my goodness! I fell asleep on the couch last night and woke up at 4 a.m. to the sound of a cabinet being banged open and shut in the kitchen--the two bads can't always quite get it open and it just slams closed (not hard enough that it would hurt them--the little rubbery things on the corners have come off, hence the "bang"). Turns out, though, that they'd managed at least once to keep it open to grab a bag of dried raw chicken pieces and, because they couldn't unzip it, they chewed that shit. Which ties into the other peeve being discussed above...

I had to, in the middle of the night, find an appropriately sized container and lid to put the food in (and rearrange the cabinet a little AND wrangle a piece of duct tape for the interim). Turns out that the taller miso soup take-out one was perfect. 

And because they don't do this too often, I assumed that maybe they were legitimately hungry and not just being jerks. Then I struggled over whether to give them a snack at the risk "rewarding" their behavior.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRy0Ia4pLdV2_jrkPrYr2v

  • Laugh 12

Share this post


Link to post

This conversation reminded me to check my cats’ food bowls. They thank you all from their bottomless stomachs.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/9/2020 at 10:16 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, yeah--I don't doubt "out of flowers," even during non-"unprecedented times." But I can't help but feel like this company (which isn't just one flower shop) could have intervened a bit sooner--or at all, considering I wouldn't have had any idea if I hadn't checked on it.

I am  also a retired florist I recommend During normal holidays to  deal with a florist in the city where you need them delivered.  When you use a service like  1-800 flowers ( do they still exist? ) or like Teleflora  they take the order but  really know nothing about the individual flower shops all over the US.  it’s also cheaper as they will only charge local delivery not a service fee.  That being said I had really good luck with a online service that dealt with delivery of exotic flowers to a friend non holiday. Shipped from a grower. 
UPS was mentioned so I’m assuming it was shipped loose flowers and UPS is overwhelmed with everything. 
I also suggest during holidays have it delivered the day before or several days so you won’t be hit with out of flowers. I also recommend not to be too specific ( sounds like you weren’t) say maybe a favorite color or flower but say your  freshest / nicest on hand. 
My best friend is still is a designer and the shop he works for only takes direct orders online and phone. ( so you are dealing with shop doing delivery)  He’s not working now and like many businesses the store is closed to in store customers and is talking about having to enlarge the  store of 25 years  in order to protect employees and probably eliminate arrangements all together once fully open. When my in-laws were  alive I developed a relationship via phone with a in town florist who always went out of their way to please. also don’t pick out a picture that  the florist will have to stop and look it up see how close they have the flowers to copy it.  We floral designers have a million stories of on the morning of a big holiday ( Mother’s Day valentines  day) of people who wake up in the morning of of the day and call and want a specific  arrangement sent across time zones and want  to know time The delivery driver will be there. . If we were to say it’s too late they say but you did it for me last year!  
Whoops  I see TattleTeeny came to the conclusion of my suggestion 

I hate Comcast and have to call every 3=months because they jack  my bill and talking to India for hours does nothing but amazingly during this time my bill remains the same. Fingers crossed because I’m not up to it,

 

Edited by athousandclowns · Reason: Typo
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size