Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Not to get too philisophical, but is it possible to discuss ideas without discussing events or people?

Of course they're likely to come up in the conversation, but merely in supporting roles. The idea is the star.

• Love 2

How is it possible that I hurt myself every single time I cut the grass?  Just little things -- scraping my knee, bumping my head on a low-hanging branch -- but it's something every week.  It's getting annoying.

The ones in my neighborhood have been pretty far off until tonight. Someone one street over shot so many off a few minutes ago my house was shaking. Wtf. I'm dreading tomorrow night.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's after midnight and some dick in the neighborhood is still shooting off fireworks that sound like bombs.  They started around 7pm (yesterday, the third) and are still doing it. Why are people so selfish and thoughtless?

Edited by Brookside

Lots of amateur fireworks nearby last night, but they were civil about it and stopped at around 10pm.  The town is still doing a show tonight, visible from various large parking lots (Walmart, etc.), but they are encouraging people to watch from their backyards if they can.  The professional ones will definitely end by about 10.  Could be a long night.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Brookside said:

It's after midnight and some dick in the neighborhood is still shooting off fireworks that sound like bombs.  They started around 7pm (yesterday, the third) and are still doing it. Why are people so selfish and thoughtless?

We've had some assholes setting off fireworks every night for at least a month now. The police do absolutely nothing about it, even though it's illegal & it really pisses me off.

• Love 2

Good grief.  It's not quite 2pm, and the neighbors have started with the fireworks -- just firecrackers at this point, since flying, exploding things are kind of wasted when it's broad daylight and not a cloud to be found.  Did I say upthread that it could be a long night?  It could be a  long damn day, too.

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Good grief.  It's not quite 2pm, and the neighbors have started with the fireworks -- just firecrackers at this point, since flying, exploding things are kind of wasted when it's broad daylight and not a cloud to be found.  Did I say upthread that it could be a long night?  It could be a  long damn day, too.

I was just coming to post the exact same thing. Just heard actual fireworks outside right now.  Why can it never rain on the one day I wish for a nonstop torrential downpour?

• Love 5

Near where I work, fireworks were being set off. It’s residential and the mom of the person I work with, went out to see if it was being done behind her garage. The person/people had already left. It wasn’t on her property but the next over. All the crap was left behind, including clam shells. Yup clam shells the person had eaten from. What??

15 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Near where I work, fireworks were being set off. It’s residential and the mom of the person I work with, went out to see if it was being done behind her garage. The person/people had already left. It wasn’t on her property but the next over. All the crap was left behind, including clam shells. Yup clam shells the person had eaten from. What??

A few years ago my SIL's neighbors went out of town for the Fourth. When they came back home they found their house was burned to the ground from fireworks landing on their roof because the people who live behind them are idiots.

(edited)

Huh. Nothing here in MD.

Usually, I’ll hear some the night before when the holiday falls on a weekend, but nothing this year. Well, not exactly. I heard one boom last night around 8:30, but didn’t hear any of the “crackling” when the fireworks shimmer and show those colors and shapes, does that makes sense?

We’ll see if anything happens tonight.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Huh. Nothing here in MD.

Usually, I’ll hear some the night before when the holiday falls on a weekend, but nothing this year. Well, not exactly. I heard one boom last night around 8:30, but didn’t hear any of the “crackling” when the fireworks shimmer and show those colors and shapes, of that makes sense?

I've not heard anything here in Seattle either. Weird.

• Love 1

GAH! Here’s a pet peeve: when STOOPID AUTONOTCORRECT decides to change a word that is CORRECT to one that makes no sense!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬

Like my comment above, I TYPED “does that make sense?” And AUTONOTCORRECT changed it to “OF that makes sense” (See @peacheslatour post quoting my post).

WHUT????

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Huh. Nothing here in MD.

Usually, I’ll hear some the night before when the holiday falls on a weekend, but nothing this year. Well, not exactly. I heard one boom last night around 8:30, but didn’t hear any of the “crackling” when the fireworks shimmer and show those colors and shapes, does that makes sense?

Come on over a few miles east.  We've got plenty of fireworks going off.  But then, we often do, so that I notice, then go on with my life.  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I suppose all us anti-fireworks people can take a little solace that there was technically a fireworks shortage due to COVID related closures to the fireworks factories in China.

You'd never know it by all the activity around here!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

You'd never know it by all the activity around here!

Same here. I am hoping the factories stay closed to give me a break during New Years. The amount of people actually entertained by this garbage is astounding.

• Love 6

Legal fireworks ended around 10 last night.  Illegal ones continued until around midnight, as far as I know.  I didn't hear any past about midnight -- that may have been because I finally was able to get to sleep, or that they actually stopped.  Or both.  I do hope people finished all they had and tonight will be quiet, but I'm not optimistic.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am glad that you were able to get some sleep.  I have had growing stomach issues since my grade school years, and they flared up in the past three days and still haven't let up.  Excruciating pain that hasn't gone away.  Add the extremely hot weather and the fireworks, and it couldn't have been more unpleasant.   Whether I move or not, it doesn't matter the pain is constant.

The fireworks that were set off were not legal.  I am still surprised in these uncertain times, why people would be spending that kind of money on fireworks.

They started hare around ten and didn't end until after two. In the words of Oscar Wilde when he was in New Orleans on the fourth and couldn't get any sleep: "The patriots, the patriots."

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

In my neighborhood, illegal fireworks went off until well past 2am. I think I understand what a war zone might sound like now, it sounded like cannon booms every few seconds and some rattled my entire house. I'm hopeful most people have to go back to work tomorrow and it will start to quiet down. 

A town north of me had their usual city sponsored fireworks display and live streamed it. The live stream cut out right before the end when there is usually a giant display. Turns out something or someone screwed up and the fireworks went sideways instead of up and set a neighboring farm on fire. Idiots.

7 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

The air outside was clouded with smoke

Same here, and that doesn't normally happen.

I went to my parents' house for dinner, as neighbors two streets over always put on a brief (and totally illegal) display we can see from the backyard; the cats are not at all fazed - they sit in the bay window and watch the sky.  Driving home, there were more such little shows going on than normal (since all the official ones were canceled this year due to COVID-19), thus the low-lying level of smoke in the air.

I didn't hear much beyond midnight, though, and I don't think that's unreasonably late on a Saturday night.  The problem is, as I said earlier, that it has been going on to a lesser extent for about a month now, and that's not something people with PTSD and/or frightened pets can plan for/around (especially in a year when one can hardly go anywhere).  I'd like to think tonight will be the last night, but I don't know; it has been an unpredictable year all around.

• Love 2

Firecrackers were still going off when I fell (back) asleep around 4am. I’m so glad my cats are not scared by the noise, which is surprising because they can be a bit skittish with loud or unfamiliar sounds. I’m sure they will start going off again as soon as it gets dark, which is what’s been happening nightly since Memorial Day. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Firecrackers were still going off when I fell (back) asleep around 4am. I’m so glad my cats are not scared by the noise, which is surprising because they can be a bit skittish with loud or unfamiliar sounds. I’m sure they will start going off again as soon as it gets dark, which is what’s been happening nightly since Memorial Day. 

My cat was totally freaked out which was weird because he never usually does. I wonder if it's because we lost our little girl cat last year and he doesn't have to act macho for her any more?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Bloody fireworks are starting up again.  Nearly 9pm on July 5.  Shut it, already!

Almost 10 here and I'm starting to hear it again. I have an 8:30am doctors appointment (and I am not a AM person) and am in no mood for this crap. Who could possibly be entertained by this garbage for this long?

• Love 10

I don't know if I can take another night without sleep. Whatever they're exploding near me isn't designed for oohs and aahs, but for noise. It sounds like bombs. I can't imagine how much money has gone up in smoke this past week. Inconsiderate idiots.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, HissyFit said:

I can't imagine how much money has gone up in smoke this past week. Inconsiderate idiots.

Let's say someone spent $500 on fireworks - imagine if you said to them "Hey, let's go out to dinner, it will cost $500 for the family" - they'd probably freak out and be like "I'm not spending $500 when I won't have anything to show for it!"😝

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Let's say someone spent $500 on fireworks - imagine if you said to them "Hey, let's go out to dinner, it will cost $500 for the family" - they'd probably freak out and be like "I'm not spending $500 when I won't have anything to show for it!"😝

Or, "Hey, let's go out in the middle of the street and set all our money on fire!"

• Love 8

It was shockingly quiet here last night. I fully expected another night of obnoxious noise. I almost said something to my boyfriend about it being quiet, but didn't want to jinx it.

• Love 1
On 7/4/2020 at 5:31 PM, forumfish said:

Dear Hallmark Channel,

Imagine my dismay yesterday when I discovered that you have just decided to copy-protect apparently EVERYTHING on your TV channels. I was so happy that you started airing Cedar Cove again this week, but at 8 in the morning, I cannot watch live. I recorded it to DVD the first few days, then yesterday, my recorder gave me the "this program cannot be recorded" message. I figured, okay, Hallmark sells the show on DVD so they don't want anyone to record it. Then in the afternoon I tried to record a Christmas movie while I went to the pharmacy. Same message. Just for grins, I tested it last night on the Mystery/Movie channel, with an old Murder She Wrote (not an Original Hallmark Production) -- same freaking message. I tested several of your On Demand movies, and you have blocked Every. Single. One.

Not love,

Forumfish

I haven't encountered this yet but now I'm worried some of my recordings will not be there when I go to watch them. And Cedar Cove was my favorite when it was on, I looked forward to watching each episode with a glass (or maybe a bottle) of wine every Saturday night in the summer! 

• Love 1

Am I the only one stupid enough to talk to the robo callers?

I only got a couple of hours sleep last night (neighbor son doing laundry 1-3a.m.) so I was taking a nap but didn’t silence my phone and got my 3rd robocall of the day. I started answering unknown numbers again because of expecting medical phone calls and car repair calls. I probably don’t need to answer unknown numbers anymore, but I was half asleep. 
I started telling the guy that yesterday the Supreme Court ruled that robo calls are illegal (true). The guy interrupts to start telling me how he’s going to sexually assault me. 🙁

Am I the only one who has experienced this? Or is it common enough to be a pet peeve?

(edited)
12 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I only got a couple of hours sleep last night (neighbor son doing laundry 1-3a.m.) so I was taking a nap but didn’t silence my phone and got my 3rd robocall of the day. I started answering unknown numbers again because of expecting medical phone calls and car repair calls. I probably don’t need to answer unknown numbers anymore, but I was half asleep. 
I started telling the guy that yesterday the Supreme Court ruled that robo calls are illegal (true). The guy interrupts to start telling me how he’s going to sexually assault me. 🙁

Am I the only one who has experienced this? Or is it common enough to be a pet peeve?

I call them back, and usually can't get an answer. I've also texted them, telling them where to go. I wish there was a way to report them. 

Edited by Anela
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Not sure if this helps you or not, but I've gotten to the point where I don't answer anything, unless that it's clear that it's someone I know or a call I'm expecting.  My outgoing messages on both landline and cell indicate that if you want me, you need to leave a message.  So far, only the people who leave messages are those who are concerned about my expiring car warranty, and the ones who have buyers waiting with an all-cash offer on my house,

• Love 4

This was the expiring car warranty. I thought I was selecting the option to be taken off the list (yeah, right, like that’ll ever happen). But then I got on with the abusive guy.  
I will not answer anymore unknown numbers. 

• Love 4

I get very few, but recently, a lot more than usual. The other day a robotic voice spoke to me in Chinese...🙄

I don't usually answer unknown numbers unless I'm expecting a delivery. People have to call for me to activate the buzzer.

I got a few calls from "Revenue Canada", our IRS, that legal proceedings have been started against me for some thing or other. I don't wait around to listen. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Anela said:

I call them back, and usually can't get an answer. I've also texted them, telling them where to go. I wish there was a way to report them. 

I rarely answer.  I did once because they just wouldn't stop calling.  The person called me a liar.  I lost my shit, reamed them, and hung up on them.  And then dialed them back  (he answered) to continue my tirade because I wasn't done with being that pissed off.  They never called again.

I may have been a wee stressed out by work at the time because I went straight from nice and helpful to screaming banshee with no in between. 

Now I just get that robocall where the robot can't simulate a real laugh while pretending its an actually person.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I get very few, but recently, a lot more than usual. The other day a robotic voice spoke to me in Chinese...🙄

I don't usually answer unknown numbers unless I'm expecting a delivery. People have to call for me to activate the buzzer.

I got a few calls from "Revenue Canada", our IRS, that legal proceedings have been started against me for some thing or other. I don't wait around to listen. 

"Sir, this is an Arby's."

• LOL 1