Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

(edited)

This brings up another pet peeve. The person who talks on phone or face time, but, must also talk to their pets during this time.  I mean really?  I love animals, but, I just don't get this.  I try to understand...

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

This brings up another pet peeve. The person who talks on phone or face time, but, must also talk to their pets during this time.  I mean really?  I love animals, but, I just don't get this. 

The only things I say to my cat when I'm on the phone is "be quiet! get down! I'll feed you in a minute!"

• LOL 6
21 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I had a neighbor several years ago who was mowing his lawn at 6:00am in the morning. 

Many decades ago my parents lived next door to my aunt and uncle (aunt being my mother's sister).  My uncle thought nothing of cutting his grass at 6AM before he went to work.  This ticked off my mother because it was waking up my siblings.  My brother was hell on wheels as a child so Mom didn't want him awake any sooner than was necessary.  She begged my uncle to knock it off and instead cut the grass when he got home from work.  Nope, he would be too tired then (translation:  by the time he got done drinking at the bar after work then it would be too dark to mow).  Mom got fed up one morning and as he mowed between their two houses she leaned out the upstairs window and dumped an entire bucket of ice water on top of his head.  That ended that.

• LOL 11
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

You know....the obsessive talker really does have a condition. I've read about it.  They know they are doing it, but, just can't stop. They often welcome someone cutting them off in mid sentence and snapping them out of it.

The comedian Paula Poundstone has that condition, I guess it's form of OCD. She sells a tshirt that says "Sometimes I just don't know what to say. Oh, how I wish that would stop me."

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I soaked the beans (that I was going to cook yesterday but couldn't) overnight and put them in the slow cooker. Seven hours later, they still are not anywhere near tender enough to eat. This is the first day this week I've actually cooked something for supper. I intended to every other day, but circumstances kept getting in the way. And it's looking like it might be sandwiches for supper anyway.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

The comedian Paula Poundstone has that condition, I guess it's form of OCD. She sells a tshirt that says "Sometimes I just don't know what to say. Oh, how I wish that would stop me."

Sometimes I embarrass myself with Compulsive Talking, but at least I manage to be amusing, informative, or interesting most of the time. OTOH, there were at least a couple of nice men who wound up on my I’m-So-Glad-I’m-Not-Married-To-That-Man list just because they were so boring when they talked, and they talked too much. 

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Another one is people who eat while they talk on the phone. I had a friend who would make herself a meal (her favorite was steak dipped in mayonnaise *shudder*) and as soon as she sat down with her plate, would pick up the phone and start calling people. I finally told her I would not talk to her any more if she called me with a mouthful.

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law both talk at the table with their mouths full and open.  It's disgusting.

I have a friend who is apparently incable of lifting cutlery to his mouth.  Instead he dips his head down to an inch above his plate and shovels his food in.  Yuck.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have no capacity to tune anything out, just about all noises annoy me.

I used to be like that. My kids used to make fun of me always saying, "What's that sound?"
But since developing tinnitus (started 10+ years ago with one medication and then increased from chemotherapy 4+ years ago) I have thankfully learned to tune out a lot of noise.
HOWEVER, the apartment next to mine has a wall air conditioner next to my bedroom window, which drives me nuts. Fortunately it's not being used much now. My former neighbor's son ran two large computer towers in the room and so ran the air-conditioner non-stop from April through October for a couple of years. 
All things pass, and wow am I glad that one did. (There are a lot of perks to me staying here for at least another year.)

• Love 3
On 6/18/2020 at 11:23 AM, Sun-Bun said:

Mine was that way about cooking. I’d beg her to help with the cooking while growing up, but she’d merely push me aside and say she didn’t have time or that I’d make a mess or I’d get in her way. I finally quit asking as soon as I hit my teenage years.
Now she wonders why as an adult I neither cook nor have an interest in it?! Thank the gods I ended up marrying an amateur chef.

Are you my long-lost sister?? My mom was the same way, the only thing she would allow me to do in the kitchen was peel potatoes and do the dishes, It took me until my late 40's to even attempt to cook anything that didn't come out of a box because I had no idea what to do. I've actually learned more from Chopped in the last 5 years than I ever did from my mom. And now that she wants to 'pass on her recipes' I don't have the time to spend learning it with her. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

Are you my long-lost sister?? My mom was the same way, the only thing she would allow me to do in the kitchen was peel potatoes and do the dishes, It took me until my late 40's to even attempt to cook anything that didn't come out of a box because I had no idea what to do. I've actually learned more from Chopped in the last 5 years than I ever did from my mom. And now that she wants to 'pass on her recipes' I don't have the time to spend learning it with her. 

I'm sorry for you guys. My mom started teaching me to cook when I was small. By the time I was seven I could cook a full breakfast, eggs, bacon, sausages, hash browns and toast. The one problem was that by the time I was in sixth grade I'd find notes on the counter when I got home from school "It's so and so's birthday tomorrow, please make a cheesecake before you go out." or "I need four dozen Christmas cookies for the party on Friday."

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

Same here!  My grandmother, who did most of the cooking when I was little, told me I should be studying and that ladies didn't belong in the kitchen.  Thus, I never really learned how to cook heritage cuisine and my food is a mishmash of heritage stuff and various cultures I admire.  Think kitchen sink (i.e. whatever I have in my fridge and/or freezer) fried quinoa topped with guacamole or hummus (I've only attempted to make either from scratch a few times, so those items are store bought) or pasta with char siu (usually take out).  I suppose it isn't all that off from heritage food - I mean, ham and macaroni soup (think chicken noodle soup with shredded ham) and baked pork chop and rice are considered comfort food staples in Hong Kong cafes/diners (aka cha chaan teng).  Mine is just more...21st century - LOL.  I've also attempted to make pumpkin moon cakes for the mid-Autumn Festival (hey, it's always during pumpkin season, so why not?).  And yes, I've been criticized for bastardizing cuisine.  Not funny, but whatever.

• Love 3

@peacheslatour, don't feel too bad for me, now that I have learned to cook I have figured out that my mom's palate was pretty lacking. To this day I can't eat pork chops because she would cook them until they were cardboard. She also made what can only be described as the worst pasta sauce known to man. At the time, not knowing anything else it was fine, but now that I have learned what real red sauce should taste like I can't bear the thought of eating hers. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

@peacheslatour, don't feel too bad for me, now that I have learned to cook I have figured out that my mom's palate was pretty lacking. To this day I can't eat pork chops because she would cook them until they were cardboard. She also made what can only be described as the worst pasta sauce known to man. At the time, not knowing anything else it was fine, but now that I have learned what real red sauce should taste like I can't bear the thought of eating hers. 

My mother had a BA in Home Ec. as did her mother. I guess we were just expected to learn how to cook. My poor mom despaired of ever teach me to sew. I was just hopeless. Took me a whole summer to make a sleeveless wrap dress.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

She didn't bother using pasta sauce from a jar?  At least those things have some kind of flavour.   

• Love 2
Just now, PRgal said:

She didn't bother using pasta sauce from a jar?  At least those things have some kind of flavour.   

Hahahaha, if only, that still would have been better than the concoction she made! I'm not sure what the hell she did to it but it was watery and had no flavor to it. Quite honestly I think she just threw canned tomatoes and canned tomato sauce in a pot with some salt and pepper and called it pasta sauce. I remember meeting my now ex-husbands's family when I was 21, my mother in law was 100% Italian and made gnocchi and homemade red sauce for dinner, I thought I'd died and went to heaven. The best thing I ever got from that marriage was the recipes for her pasta sauce and homemade meatballs, I make them to this day!

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, PRgal said:

At least you can doctor that stuff up. My uncle would brown some ground beef and add peppers, onions and garlic and he could produce a very creditable sauce.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

At least you can doctor that stuff up. My uncle would brown some ground beef and add peppers, onions and garlic and he could produce a very creditable sauce.

So true! In a pinch I have used jarred sauce and added more oregano/garlic/pepper and it comes out pretty tasty. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

Same here!  My grandmother, who did most of the cooking when I was little, told me I should be studying and that ladies didn't belong in the kitchen.  Thus, I never really learned how to cook heritage cuisine and my food is a mishmash of heritage stuff and various cultures I admire.  Think kitchen sink (i.e. whatever I have in my fridge and/or freezer) fried quinoa topped with guacamole or hummus (I've only attempted to make either from scratch a few times, so those items are store bought) or pasta with char siu (usually take out).  I suppose it isn't all that off from heritage food - I mean, ham and macaroni soup (think chicken noodle soup with shredded ham) and baked pork chop and rice are considered comfort food staples in Hong Kong cafes/diners (aka cha chaan teng).  Mine is just more...21st century - LOL.  I've also attempted to make pumpkin moon cakes for the mid-Autumn Festival (hey, it's always during pumpkin season, so why not?).  And yes, I've been criticized for bastardizing cuisine.  Not funny, but whatever.

It's not bastardizing. It's fusion.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, auntlada said:

It's not bastardizing. It's fusion.

I know, but when you're not a pro, it can go either way..probably more bastardization.  LOL.  But I've been shamed for it.  From certain types of people who somehow believe in "purity" cuisine.  I tell them, so you've never had Vietnamese coffee?  Or Hong Kong milk tea (think Vietnamese coffee, but with tea)? 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I know, but when you're not a pro, it can go either way..probably more bastardization.  LOL.  But I've been shamed for it.  From certain types of people who somehow believe in "purity" cuisine.  I tell them, so you've never had Vietnamese coffee?  Or Hong Kong milk tea (think Vietnamese coffee, but with tea)? 

Where I am (much farther south than you, I think), we get a lot of people criticizing Mexican restaurants they don't like as "not authentic Mexican food." And then I have to explain to them (in excruciating detail if it's someone I don't like very much) how Mexico is a big country with a lot of different styles of cuisine. If I really don't like the person, I go on to talk about how all cultures borrow foods from other cultures, and it's all authentic unless it's made of plastic or wood.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, BexKeps said:

To this day I can't eat pork chops because she would cook them until they were cardboard.

We must be related!  My mother would cook pork chops until they were dried out and as tough as ... I don’t know what to compare them to.  Shoe leather is more tender.   

My mother is 92 and she lives with me.  To this day she still does most of the cooking, because she is the only one who can do it “right”.  If I tried to do more cooking, one of us would not survive.  Either I would kill her with a frying pan or she would kill me by giving me a heart attack or stroke from the high blood pressure she induces when she is in the kitchen with me.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
(edited)

Random pet peeve, but I can’t help it after a long morning scroll of my Facebook feed today...what is up with people who steal very common jokes and popular memes but pass them off as their own funny quips on their  “what’s on your mind” status?! 

Drives me bonkers because I have “friends” there who will steal popular quote memes, even those I have just posted that they like, and pass them off as their own quotes/quips. And then other dumb posters(they’re usually middle-aged or older and don’t keep up with that stuff) who don’t know any better will comment below like, “LOL you’re so funny!!!” Or “You’re such a hoot, I love all your funny statuses!!” Or “Are you a comedian in your spare time! LOL!!”

Well yeah, I guess we *all* would be comedians if we could secretly rip off everyone else’s material, right?

Because I’m petty like that, sometimes I’ll post the actual meme/a screenshot of my earlier posting beneath their stolen statuses just to fuck with them. Then it’s interesting to see whether they hastily delete my comment or ignore/don’t see it.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Apparently, today is National Selfie Day.

Yeah, that is what the world needs, a day dedicated to selfies.  They might as well of called it, Self Absorbed Twit Day.

I thought every day was National Selfie Day.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
On 6/19/2020 at 2:52 PM, shapeshifter said:

I have no capacity to tune anything out, just about all noises annoy me.

This is so me.  I have earplugs stashed everywhere.  I wish I knew a good brand because mine are the cheap foamy ones that only block out about 25%.

12 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

This is so me.  I have earplugs stashed everywhere.  I wish I knew a good brand because mine are the cheap foamy ones that only block out about 25%.

Look for earplugs recommended for shooting ranges.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I thought every day was National Selfie Day.

One of my coworkers posts a selfie on Facebook/Instagram every other day or so, coincidentally. What cracks me up about it is the fact that she’s a 40-something fat divorced mother of 4 and not very attractive, bless her heart. (ever seen the film “Crybaby”? She’s basically an overweight Hatchet Face)
Not that I’m saying only hot people deserve to take frequent selfies, it’s just that she apparently thinks she’s a sexy supermodel when she poses for these selfies(boobs practically falling out of a too-tight minidress and all), and I find that total lack of awareness/deluded sense of self-confidence both oddly admirable and hilariously horrifying. Apparently I’m not alone with this sentiment since she usually only gets 3 or 4 likes on these selfies anyway; I’ve even caught a few other coworkers snickering about her oddly amusing thirst trap selfies.

I would normally feel somewhat guilty about sharing this, but she’s smugly bougie AF and has made some vaguely racist/tone-deaf comments, so she kinda deserves the stealth selfie-shaming.

• LOL 1
On 6/18/2020 at 3:11 PM, Nordly Beaumont said:

I'm sorry she suffers from this, but it still doesn't excuse how abrasive and unfunny she is.

• Love 1
On 6/21/2020 at 8:42 AM, icemiser69 said:

Apparently, today is National Selfie Day.

Yeah, that is what the world needs, a day dedicated to selfies.  They might as well of called it, Self Absorbed Twit Day.

Sorry, I guess I'm a day late with this...

JM_2020_06_19_Mickey_Mask_001xSquarex170.jpg.9c1d0f10a21df53c2954632e52f2bd20.jpg

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Not that I’m saying only hot people deserve to take frequent selfies, it’s just that she apparently thinks she’s a sexy supermodel when she poses for these selfies(boobs practically falling out of a too-tight minidress and all), and I find that total lack of awareness/deluded sense of self-confidence both oddly admirable and hilariously horrifying. Apparently I’m not alone with this sentiment since she usually only gets 3 or 4 likes on these selfies anyway; I’ve even caught a few other coworkers snickering about her oddly amusing thirst trap selfies.

@Sun-Bun I know how you feel! Honestly, you could be the hottest of the hotties in the world and I still don't want my FB/Instagram feed to be flooded with pics of you and your boobs! One of my daughter's friends (who is in her mid-20's so not old) posts daily pics of herself in very revealing outfits with cleavage and bootie shots galore. I've had to snooze her a couple times just so I can get a break from seeing all that skin. She's not the most attractive girl and she oozes desperation which may be the other reason her posts annoy me so much. I also have a cousin who is my age (50's) who will post selfies 2 or 3 times a day, and it's always the same angle with a different background, why? Who needs to see you in front of the grocery store, then in front of the post office, then in front of your kitchen sink???? GAH!!!

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, BexKeps said:

@Sun-Bun I know how you feel! Honestly, you could be the hottest of the hotties in the world and I still don't want my FB/Instagram feed to be flooded with pics of you and your boobs! One of my daughter's friends (who is in her mid-20's so not old) posts daily pics of herself in very revealing outfits with cleavage and bootie shots galore. I've had to snooze her a couple times just so I can get a break from seeing all that skin. She's not the most attractive girl and she oozes desperation which may be the other reason her posts annoy me so much. I also have a cousin who is my age (50's) who will post selfies 2 or 3 times a day, and it's always the same angle with a different background, why? Who needs to see you in front of the grocery store, then in front of the post office, then in front of your kitchen sink???? GAH!!!

Count me in as one of those people annoyed with people posting multiple selfies of themselves (whether it is daily or throughout the day). I don't really understand why they feel the need to post the a pic with a different outfit but same facial expression as other pictures, it just doesn't make sense! There are also some people I see on my FB feed that don't even look like the same in person (in comparison to the selfies they are posting). I really am curious what filter they are using for these pics to make their skin flawless and also look way skinnier b/c I sure as heck could use that information! 😂

More FB pet peeves: People who post updates of their whole day as if anyone gives a shit, people who post every single meme they see on the internet, people who have to "announce" they are going off social media permanently or for the time being. Oh yeah, thirsty people who will post the most vague status update or go on some rant without giving any info so that people will ask them what is wrong, etc.  There are so many more annoying things that you would wonder why I am still on Facebook LOL!

Edited by MissFeatherbottom
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, MissFeatherbottom said:

Count me in as one of those people annoyed with people posting multiple selfies of themselves (whether it is daily or throughout the day). I don't really understand why they feel the need to post the a pic with a different outfit but same facial expression as other pictures, it just doesn't make sense! There are also some people I see on my FB feed that don't even look like the same in person (in comparison to the selfies they are posting). I really am curious what filter they are using for these pics to make their skin flawless and also look way skinnier b/c I sure as heck could use that information! 😂

More FB pet peeves: People who post updates of their whole day as if anyone gives a shit, people who post every single meme they see on the internet, people who have to "announce" they are going off social media permanently or for the time being. Oh yeah, thirsty people who will post the most vague status update or go on some rant without giving any info so that people will ask them what is wrong, etc.  There are so many more annoying things that you would wonder why I am still on Facebook LOL!

I wasn't on Facebook before it was cool to not be on Facebook.

• LOL 11
  • Love 3
(edited)

I've been ordering groceries for delivery weekly since the lockdown (I was doing every other week before that), and last night, they told me today's delivery will come in between 9:30 PM and 12:30 AM Tuesday morning.  WTF?  And I haven't been able to contact them about changing the time to either earlier today or tomorrow morning/afternoon.  Sorry, but I'm going to be sleeping at 10:30 pm.  

ETA: I just sent a Tweet out complaining about it.  Hope they see it and get back to me.

Edited by PRgal

My pet peeve of the decade: the loss of simple applause when a guest appears on a show or something really good is said or the host first appears. For the past I don't know how many years it has to be accompanied by high pitched squeals, woo hoos, screams, etc. Whatever happened to a vigorous round of applause? 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

My pet peeve of the decade: the loss of simple applause when a guest appears on a show or something really good is said or the host first appears. For the past I don't know how many years it has to be accompanied by high pitched squeals, woo hoos, screams, etc. Whatever happened to a vigorous round of applause? 

Pet peeve of the half century.  What happened to a simple round of applause at the end of a performance/play/concert?  Where I live, every single mediocre, even dire, performance receives a standing ovation.

• Love 8

@annzeepark914, you just reminded me of something - I have sat through so many graduation ceremonies where attendees are asked to hold their applause until the very end so that they can get through the graduates in a timely manner, and yet you will still have families who will hoot, holler and scream for several seconds when their kid's name gets read. I wouldn't mind if they wanted to clap politely for a couple seconds but the loud prolonged celebration is uncalled for, and then everyone after that feels they have to outdo it. 

• Love 7

The only way they're going to be able to stop such obnoxious behavior is to address the audience prior to the ceremony. One warning and if the audience persists, shut down the ceremony & tell everyone to go home. Somebody needs to be the grown-up these days (when too many adults forget how to behave).

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

@annzeepark914, you just reminded me of something - I have sat through so many graduation ceremonies where attendees are asked to hold their applause until the very end so that they can get through the graduates in a timely manner, and yet you will still have families who will hoot, holler and scream for several seconds when their kid's name gets read. I wouldn't mind if they wanted to clap politely for a couple seconds but the loud prolonged celebration is uncalled for, and then everyone after that feels they have to outdo it. 

One of the very few benefits of the Covid situation is that many graduation ceremonies have moved to online only. For example, my daughter received her undergrad degree at the end of May and her graduation ceremony was live-streamed rather than in person. She didn't opt to have her name read aloud, but for any students who did, their families could have made all the noise they wanted to without disturbing anyone else in their own homes.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, BexKeps said:

My youngest sister is one of those people. It was embarrassing to be sitting near her at her daughter's/my niece's graduation two years ago. I guess, though, that no one was looking at me, but at her. And not my niece, either, which is also the problem. The graduates should be the focus, not their obnoxious family members.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I have completely changed my tune on this over the years; it used to annoy me, but with how many families for whom their child/grandchild graduating is a huge fucking deal that involved hard work, sacrifice, and odds-beating I can never truly comprehend, I no longer care.  And I don't care whether it's that sort of emotional release or just obnoxious attention-seeking; it all sounds the same, it's several seconds at a time out of my life, it doesn't take anything away from my own experience (whether as the graduate or a member of the audience), etc.  I tune it out and barely even notice anymore.

• Love 7

Sorry to change the subjects, but after this last weekend this has been on my mind. Seeing people who have dogs...as the people socially distanced, but they allow their dogs (babies...and big dogs) to run over and jump all over you. All they say is “Isn’t so and so cute and amazing”. Yes. Nice dog, but it didn’t mean I wanted it’s paw prints and scratches all over my clothes and body. They also didn’t believe in pooper scooping and allowed it to do its business in my yard. Yes. I had a hard time biting my tongue. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Seeing people who have dogs...as the people socially distanced, but they allow their dogs (babies...and big dogs) to run over and jump all over you. All they say is “Isn’t so and so cute and amazing”. Yes. Nice dog, but it didn’t mean I wanted it’s paw prints and scratches all over my clothes and body.

My peeve is when they laugh and say "Don't worry! He's friendly!" I'm not afraid, I'm annoyed. So just call Rover's name and get him off me, thanks.

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

My peeve is when they laugh and say "Don't worry! He's friendly!" I'm not afraid, I'm annoyed. So just call Rover's name and get him off me, thanks.

I hate that. I'm nervous around dogs. I like them, but dogs, especially big dogs, scare me. I always want to tell people, "Sure, your dog is friendly to you. He knows you. He doesn't know me." Our neighbors used to have a big dog that barked at the fence (chain link) every time I went into the backyard. They said she was friendly and nice, but her bark did not say friendly and nice. It was not a friendly, nice, playful bark. It was a get-out-of-my-space bark. I don't know what happened to the dog and feel bad for them if it died, but I'm still glad it's gone because they never called that dog back in when it started barking at the fence. It made it hard to mow the lawn.

• Love 2

Dog related pet peeve. When people are walking their dog near traffic and they keep the leash long. In a moment the dog could be hit by a car.

That brings me to another pet peeve. People who are waiting to cross the street with a stroller. The person pushing the stroller is on the sidewalk, but the stroller with the child in it is in the street.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Dog related pet peeve. When people are walking their dog near traffic and they keep the leash long. In a moment the dog could be hit by a car.

That brings me to another pet peeve. People who are waiting to cross the street with a stroller. The person pushing the stroller is on the sidewalk, but the stroller with the child in it is in the street.

Long leashes are bad, IMO. I recently  watched a woman allow her dog to walk way up onto a neighbor's lawn & urinate on shrubs. Also, you have no control if the dog decides to jump on people.

The comment about the stroller in the street reminds me of when I first noticed people pushing strollers in the summer time (back in the late 80's) and parents were wearing their snazzy baseball caps but the baby or toddler was bareheaded. Same with the jogging stroller pushers. 

• Love 3

Replacing dead batteries in things like clocks, kitchen scales and TV remote controls; and more specifically the hassle of having to find a very small screwdriver because some devices have lids screwed in rather than clipped in.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

People who give wine as a gift, without asking if the recipient drinks wine.

This reminds me of a discussion on an etiquette column.  Someone says you should always bring wine because "everybody loves wine."  I said I didn't.  But, even so, some people are alcoholics and definitely wouldn't want any kind of alcohol in their house.  I jsut always hate the generalization that everybody just loves wine.  I work in a grocery-related industry.  And there was some discussion about how magazines are a waste of space at the checkout counter because people don't buy them.  Someone suggested putting wine there, because everyone would love to peruse wines while waiting. Well, again, I wouldn't, but I pointed out that while alcoholics could avoid the wine or liquor aisle, they couldn't avoid the checkout.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
55 minutes ago, Katy M said:

This reminds me of a discussion on an etiquette column.  Someone says you should always bring wine because "everybody loves wine."  I said I didn't.  But, even so, some people are alcoholics and definitely wouldn't want any kind of alcohol in their house.  I jsut always hate the generalization that everybody just loves wine.  I work in a grocery-related industry.  And there was some discussion about how magazines are a waste of space at the checkout counter because people don't buy them.  Someone suggested putting wine there, because everyone would love to peruse wines while waiting. Well, again, I wouldn't, but I pointed out that while alcoholics could avoid the wine or liquor aisle, they couldn't avoid the checkout.

I also don't like wine. The only alcohol I can stand to drink is in drinks where the taste of the alcohol is covered up, and I always feel that if you are drinking it without tasting it, you're only drinking it for the way it makes you feel, and you might as well have a virgin drink. I realize this might not be true for everyone, but I think it is true for me, so I don't really drink. When I think about having a drink, usually a rum and Coke because that's easy, I ask myself if I really want it and if now is a good time. Usually I decide against it.

I would never take wine to someone's house, though, because I don't know what good wine is or what kind of wine they might prefer. My husband does drink wine, but he's picky about it. He doesn't necessarily want expensive wine, but he does prefer particular kinds and particular brands.

Really, if someone is coming to my house, unless it's some kind of potluck, they don't need to bring anything. I know it's supposed to be polite to bring a hostess gift, but I'm good without one, particularly something that I'm going to have to wonder if I should serve it while they are in my house.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, auntlada said:

I also don't like wine. The only alcohol I can stand to drink is in drinks where the taste of the alcohol is covered up, and I always feel that if you are drinking it without tasting it, you're only drinking it for the way it makes you feel, and you might as well have a virgin drink. I realize this might not be true for everyone, but I think it is true for me, so I don't really drink. When I think about having a drink, usually a rum and Coke because that's easy, I ask myself if I really want it and if now is a good time. Usually I decide against it.

I would never take wine to someone's house, though, because I don't know what good wine is or what kind of wine they might prefer. My husband does drink wine, but he's picky about it. He doesn't necessarily want expensive wine, but he does prefer particular kinds and particular brands.

Really, if someone is coming to my house, unless it's some kind of potluck, they don't need to bring anything. I know it's supposed to be polite to bring a hostess gift, but I'm good without one, particularly something that I'm going to have to wonder if I should serve it while they are in my house.

I usually just bring flowers.

• Love 4