Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I haven't had the cats vs. hair ties problem in a long time since the ties are always either in my hair or the drawer, but way back when a friend and her two cats lived with me, one of the cats opened drawers.  And he once opened my bathroom drawer to steal a fabric headband.  We could not find it anywhere.  When she moved out, we could not find it anywhere.  When I moved out and the whole place was empty, I could not find it anywhere. 

Where did it go?!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I haven't had the cats vs. hair ties problem in a long time since the ties are always either in my hair or the drawer, but way back when a friend and her two cats lived with me, one of the cats opened drawers.  And he once opened my bathroom drawer to steal a fabric headband.  We could not find it anywhere.  When she moved out, we could not find it anywhere.  When I moved out and the whole place was empty, I could not find it anywhere. 

Where did it go?!

Did this cat also know how to flush the toilet?

• LOL 6

This all brings up a whole 'nother pet peeve.  What do you call those dang things?  I'm assuming the original question about scrunchies was referring to the covered rubber bands you use for a ponytail (but maybe not, Google tells me the original 90's (80's?) version is coming back).  I grew up calling them "pony tail holders" but that's a mouthful for such a little thing.  Hair tie?  But nothing's actually tied.  Rubber band?  But those are a different thing, that would only be called into service as a last resort.  Hair elastic?  Aren't we fancy!

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Where did it go?!

Many years ago, my husband had a watch go missing from his nightstand.  (Obviously we had cats.)  This was in the era of those digital watches that beeped on the hour.  So for several days, at a minute or so before the hour, we had to station ourselves around the house and try to hear and trace the beep.  It finally turned up behind a laundry room door (that was always in the open position, against a wall).

As for the headband - do you have heat/AC registers on the floor?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

Many years ago when I was working I had my own little window cubicle, all nice & private. I had a large pack of gum that I had just opened on my desk. I went away for a while, & when I came back & looked for the gum, I couldn't find it anywhere. I figured someone had come by & taken it while I was gone. Close. Months later I was taking some book off of a overhead shelf when lo & behold, there was the pack of gum, hidden behind the books. Completely chewed up with tiny little teeth marks. Mice. They had come up on my desk, grabbed the gum, climbed up the wall to the shelf with it, & hidden it where they could just chew away to their hearts content.

• LOL 9
(edited)
8 hours ago, GaT said:

Did this cat also know how to flush the toilet?

Toilet lids are kept closed in my home, but the headband was for when I washed my face, not for wearing in public; he'd have had no need to channel his inner Mr. Blackwell.

7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

As for the headband - do you have heat/AC registers on the floor?

Not in that place, no.  And it wasn't under the stove, because I remodeled the kitchen before selling and still never found it.

7 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

What do you call those dang things?  I'm assuming the original question about scrunchies was referring to the covered rubber bands you use for a ponytail (but maybe not, Google tells me the original 90's (80's?) version is coming back).  I grew up calling them "pony tail holders" but that's a mouthful for such a little thing.  Hair tie?  But nothing's actually tied. 

Yeah, I pondered over word choice, too.  As a kid, they were ponytail holders.  For a while, scrunchies - different than ponytail holders; they were big poofy things with fabric over the elastic - were the rage.  For a long time, I've just used the basic brown bands from Goody, which are called "elastics" on the package but used to say "ties".  So, whatever - hair thingies.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

This all brings up a whole 'nother pet peeve.  What do you call those dang things?  I'm assuming the original question about scrunchies was referring to the covered rubber bands you use for a ponytail (but maybe not, Google tells me the original 90's (80's?) version is coming back).  I grew up calling them "pony tail holders" but that's a mouthful for such a little thing.  Hair tie?  But nothing's actually tied.  Rubber band?  But those are a different thing, that would only be called into service as a last resort.  Hair elastic?  Aren't we fancy!

2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yeah, I pondered over word choice, too.  As a kid, they were ponytail holders.  As a teen, scrunchies - different than ponytail holders; they were big poofy things with fabric over the elastic - were the rage.  For a long time, I've just used the basic brown elastics from Goody, which are called "elastics" on the package but used to say "ties".  So, whatever - hair thingies.

Call them what they are, cat toys

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, GaT said:

Call them what they are, cat toys

This :D. We have some little black ones that one of our cats just goes nuts over. She'll walk around with it hanging out her mouth* or paw at and pounce on it.

*We don't let her play with them too often when she does find one, because we don't want her to accidentally swallow one or something. But we do let her have a bit of fun with them for a few moments ::). 

• Love 3
(edited)
57 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

This :D. We have some little black ones that one of our cats just goes nuts over. She'll walk around with it hanging out her mouth* or paw at and pounce on it.

*We don't let her play with them too often when she does find one, because we don't want her to accidentally swallow one or something. But we do let her have a bit of fun with them for a few moments ::). 

Absolutely. Do not let her swallow it. They will tangled get in their intestines and believe me, it's an agonizing death.

/former vet tech.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ooh!  Ooh!  I know this one.  Seventeen, dusty and under the couch, where the cat batted them.  But they're all about to break at the seam when you go to put them on.

3 hours ago, GaT said:

If she has cats, none. 

LOL, I see @SoMuchTV got there ahead of me. Also, check under the frig.

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

9 because as soon as the scrunchies she ordered showed up she found the missing ones.

1980s style gold star for @peacheslatour. This is is the correct answer!
I do have cats but they tend to leave my hair things alone. These were found in a pair of shorts I haven't worn in a while, my purse, a gym bag that obviously hasn't been opened in awhile and my car.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

On the left is what I am referring to as scrunchies, which I had left in the 90s until recently when I realized how awesome they are for making messy buns and managing my pandemic hair. The right is a pony tail holder or hair tie.

image.png.e5b6119ad51648112d9960700e4877ff.png

• Love 5
On 6/6/2020 at 6:36 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

A few years ago I was sick of the damaged or missing lid, and the plastic container cupboard.   I took all of the containers out, lined them up on the counters, and table, and then matched the lids to the containers.    Anything that was missing a lid, or container, or anything damaged went in recycle.   I ended up with only a few matching pairs, and the right sizes.   Then I tried to figure out what sizes I actually use, and then bought some of the plastic containers that click onto the lid.     I ended up with so much room in that cupboard, and I can actually find a container when I need one.    

I need to do this when dad's at work, and get it done right away. I've tried dragging everything out, and telling him, "Don't throw that back in there! I need to organize everything" but he throws it all back in there. 

I've been feeling absolutely miserable recently, but the other night, I finally organized tabs I've had open for months. I copied and pasted them into five different emails to myself, so that I can either just forget about them there instead, or search my emails for whatever I'm looking for. I already have a lot of tabs open again, but just in one browser window. My phone is terrible, and I need to do that next. I leave things open, thinking that I'll get back to them, and then I don't. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/4/2020 at 9:34 AM, icemiser69 said:

It gets to the point where I ask them to do it, just so I don't have to hear them bitch about how I was doing it wrong.  Planting a plant, mowing the lawn, ironing a shirt, doing the dishes.   Those types of things.

So you know my mother.   I was making cookies once, putting the dough balls on the cookie sheet - she said I should have been putting them on in rows, rather than columns.  Three rows of four, four columns of three - what the hell is the difference?!  The other day, I was filling the birdbath “wrong”.  When I started, it was 1/3 full of dirty water. When I finished it was full of clean water.  Seemed like a success to me.  She felt otherwise.

She would tell Venus Williams she was playing tennis wrong and Julia Child she was cooking incorrectly.  Doesn’t matter that she has never played tennis and can’t cook worth a damn.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • LOL 7

Ants! There is big ant hill very close the the house and many smaller ones along the driveway and path to the side door. Usually I leave them alone because after many years of annual invasions, I'm just happy they aren't all over the sink and kitchen floor. But this is too close for comfort so I'm going to commit large-scale anticide and them spray diatomaceous earth around the doors.

• Love 3
On 6/7/2020 at 4:29 PM, SoMuchTV said:

his all brings up a whole 'nother pet peeve.  What do you call those dang things?  I'm assuming the original question about scrunchies was referring to the covered rubber bands you use for a ponytail (but maybe not, Google tells me the original 90's (80's?) version is coming back).  I grew up calling them "pony tail holders" but that's a mouthful for such a little thing.  Hair tie?  But nothing's actually tied.  Rubber band?  But those are a different thing, that would only be called into service as a last resort.  Hair elastic?  Aren't we fancy!

On 6/7/2020 at 4:45 PM, Bastet said:

Yeah, I pondered over word choice, too.  As a kid, they were ponytail holders.  For a while, scrunchies - different than ponytail holders; they were big poofy things with fabric over the elastic - were the rage.  For a long time, I've just used the basic brown bands from Goody, which are called "elastics" on the package but used to say "ties".  So, whatever - hair thingies.

On 6/7/2020 at 8:31 PM, forumfish said:

They are all called "hair doo-ies" here in the fishbowl. I guess "doo-ies" is short for "doohickies."

Chez Rat they are all referred to as "hair thingies" and a ruder name as well - but hair claws are also referred to as "thingies."

40 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Chez Rat they are all referred to as "hair thingies" and a ruder name as well - but hair claws are also referred to as "thingies."

Lol, I always brag to my husband how articulate we all are. Tee hee.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Be careful with the hair things and cats, everyone. I know a person who had to take her cat to the vet for an emergency operation to remove SIXTEEN of them from her cat's belly! That said, I'll let mine play with one if I'm right there, like in the bathroom brushing my teeth or dyeing my hair or whatever. (Oops, I just realized that Peaches already covered this.)

Speaking of cats, oh my goodness! I fell asleep on the couch last night and woke up at 4 a.m. to the sound of a cabinet being banged open and shut in the kitchen--the two bads can't always quite get it open and it just slams closed (not hard enough that it would hurt them--the little rubbery things on the corners have come off, hence the "bang"). Turns out, though, that they'd managed at least once to keep it open to grab a bag of dried raw chicken pieces and, because they couldn't unzip it, they chewed that shit. Which ties into the other peeve being discussed above...

I had to, in the middle of the night, find an appropriately sized container and lid to put the food in (and rearrange the cabinet a little AND wrangle a piece of duct tape for the interim). Turns out that the taller miso soup take-out one was perfect. 

And because they don't do this too often, I assumed that maybe they were legitimately hungry and not just being jerks. Then I struggled over whether to give them a snack at the risk "rewarding" their behavior.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Be careful with the hair things and cats, everyone. I know a person who had to take her cat to the vet for an emergency operation to remove SIXTEEN of them from her cat's belly! That said, I'll let mine play with one if I'm right there, like in the bathroom brushing my teeth or dyeing my hair or whatever. (Oops, I just realized that Peaches already covered this.)

Speaking of cats, oh my goodness! I fell asleep on the couch last night and woke up at 4 a.m. to the sound of a cabinet being banged open and shut in the kitchen--the two bads can't always quite get it open and it just slams closed (not hard enough that it would hurt them--the little rubbery things on the corners have come off, hence the "bang"). Turns out, though, that they'd managed at least once to keep it open to grab a bag of dried raw chicken pieces and, because they couldn't unzip it, they chewed that shit. Which ties into the other peeve being discussed above...

I had to, in the middle of the night, find an appropriately sized container and lid to put the food in (and rearrange the cabinet a little AND wrangle a piece of duct tape for the interim). Turns out that the taller miso soup take-out one was perfect. 

Little shits!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

And because they don't do this too often, I assumed that maybe they were legitimately hungry and not just being jerks. Then I struggled over whether to give them a snack at the risk "rewarding" their behavior.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRy0Ia4pLdV2_jrkPrYr2v

• LOL 13
(edited)
On 5/9/2020 at 10:16 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, yeah--I don't doubt "out of flowers," even during non-"unprecedented times." But I can't help but feel like this company (which isn't just one flower shop) could have intervened a bit sooner--or at all, considering I wouldn't have had any idea if I hadn't checked on it.

I am  also a retired florist I recommend During normal holidays to  deal with a florist in the city where you need them delivered.  When you use a service like  1-800 flowers ( do they still exist? ) or like Teleflora  they take the order but  really know nothing about the individual flower shops all over the US.  it’s also cheaper as they will only charge local delivery not a service fee.  That being said I had really good luck with a online service that dealt with delivery of exotic flowers to a friend non holiday. Shipped from a grower. 
UPS was mentioned so I’m assuming it was shipped loose flowers and UPS is overwhelmed with everything. 
I also suggest during holidays have it delivered the day before or several days so you won’t be hit with out of flowers. I also recommend not to be too specific ( sounds like you weren’t) say maybe a favorite color or flower but say your  freshest / nicest on hand. 
My best friend is still is a designer and the shop he works for only takes direct orders online and phone. ( so you are dealing with shop doing delivery)  He’s not working now and like many businesses the store is closed to in store customers and is talking about having to enlarge the  store of 25 years  in order to protect employees and probably eliminate arrangements all together once fully open. When my in-laws were  alive I developed a relationship via phone with a in town florist who always went out of their way to please. also don’t pick out a picture that  the florist will have to stop and look it up see how close they have the flowers to copy it.  We floral designers have a million stories of on the morning of a big holiday ( Mother’s Day valentines  day) of people who wake up in the morning of of the day and call and want a specific  arrangement sent across time zones and want  to know time The delivery driver will be there. . If we were to say it’s too late they say but you did it for me last year!  
Whoops  I see TattleTeeny came to the conclusion of my suggestion 

I hate Comcast and have to call every 3=months because they jack  my bill and talking to India for hours does nothing but amazingly during this time my bill remains the same. Fingers crossed because I’m not up to it,

Edited by athousandclowns
Typo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

We floral designers have a million stories of on the morning of a big holiday ( Mother’s Day valentines  day) of people who wake up in the morning of of the day and call and want a specific  arrangement sent across time zones and want  to know time The delivery driver will be there.

Yep, Oh, the stories we have. I think florists are like hairdressers and bar tenders. We know more about people than their own families do.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

I am  also a retired florist I recommend During normal holidays to  deal with a florist in the city where you need them delivered.  When you use a service like  1-800 flowers ( do they still exist? ) or like Teleflora  they take the order but  really know nothing about the individual flower shops all over the US.  it’s also cheaper as they will only charge local delivery not a service fee.  

The problem with that is if I'm sending flowers to someone not nearby, I don't know the florists in their area, so I'd just be calling a random place I found online - how is that any better. Also, a couple of months ago, GF tried that when she sent flowers to her son and his finance who had just closed on their new house. She found a florist in their town, ordered from them, and they still went as an FTD (I think) delivery, were two days late, and in not-so-great condition.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

The problem with that is if I'm sending flowers to someone not nearby, I don't know the florists in their area, so I'd just be calling a random place I found online - how is that any better. Also, a couple of months ago, GF tried that when she sent flowers to her son and his finance who had just closed on their new house. She found a florist in their town, ordered from them, and they still went as an FTD (I think) delivery, were two days late, and in not-so-great condition.

I've never actually tried it for this specific purpose, but if you look at the address of your flower-ee in Google maps, then search for "florists", it should give you what's nearby, then you can drill down into the ratings for the ones that look like possibilities.  Not sure how much you can trust the ratings (they are probably just from the owner's relatives and the people who had a horrible experience), but at least you could could get some sense, and skip the fee from the internet overlord.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I've never actually tried it for this specific purpose, but if you look at the address of your flower-ee in Google maps, then search for "florists", it should give you what's nearby, then you can drill down into the ratings for the ones that look like possibilities.  Not sure how much you can trust the ratings (they are probably just from the owner's relatives and the people who had a horrible experience), but at least you could could get some sense, and skip the fee from the internet overlord.

That's precisely what I did when my mother lived in Atlanta (I'm in Connecticut), and it worked out well.  It helps if the store has a website - if their site defaulted to one for one of the big services, I skipped it and kept looking.  I got independent confirmation from my sister* that one arrangement in particular was stunning, so that became the go-to flower shop.

*She lives in the area, but when I asked for a recommendation, her response was "how the hell do I know?"

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

Coworker who is 61 has a daughter who is starting college in the fall.  Coworker says,"We're not sure yet what classes we're signing up for.  The college gave us some suggestions so we may just go with those."  We??  The daughter refused to go to the local community college and is going to one two hours away.  Coworker says it's because the daughter wants to shack up with her boyfriend.  I'm betting that's not the only reason.

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, Miss Anne Thrope said:

That's precisely what I did when my mother lived in Atlanta (I'm in Connecticut), and it worked out well.  It helps if the store has a website - if their site defaulted to one for one of the big services, I skipped it and kept looking.  I got independent confirmation from my sister* that one arrangement in particular was stunning, so that became the go-to flower shop.

That's what I did when my sister lived in NC and then did the same when she moved to a small city in FL.  Yup...stay away from the ones who don't have their own, independent website. Call direct and have a chat with the staff or owner. I did that for my sister's recent birthday, mentioned that she loved blue & white with maybe a small yellow flower tucked in (Swedish flag colors). My sis really loved the arrangement & the blue glass vase. She has a florist in my area that she calls directly to order flowers for me. I've avoided FTD, etc., for years.

• Love 5

OK, I know everyone is a little stir crazy.  And I know there are 2 fireworks stores within 5 miles. But, do you really have to set firecrackers off at midnight?  My cat was even more annoyed than I was.

• Love 6
(edited)

Current Pet Peeves:

1. Duplex neighbors who moved in at the beginning of the pandemic and don't understand that a 66-year-old woman's tiny bedroom is right next to the emergency exit that said neighbors seem to have invited stray 20-something men to enter at 3 a.m.

2. Only method of communicating with rent-paying neighbor is via text and she now seems to hate me because requests via text clearly aren't as nuanced as conversations.

3. Inability to settle on a part of the country to relocate to without badly designed housing now that I am retired because one daughter is on the west coast, one is on the east coast, and the one planning to have children (?) is in Pennsylvania planning (?) to move to the Finger Lakes of NY which is very hard to reach if you don't live there and very snowy.

In other words: Ahgghh!

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
(edited)
32 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Not a good situation at all...potentially dangerous. Can you put your stuff in storage now, find a place safer to live until you move?  

I feel safe. Just not happy. And I am now officially one of those "Get off of my lawn!" oldsters. 😞

But good point, @annzeepark914. If I decide to talk to the landlady about it, I can say I don't feel safe. Thanks.

And, now that I think about it, it probably is a feeling of fear that bothers me when I am awakened. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I feel safe. Just not happy. And I am now officially one of those "Get off of my lawn!" oldsters. 😞

But good point, @annzeepark914. If I decide to talk to the landlady about it, I can say I don't feel safe. Thanks.

And, now that I think about it, it probably is a feeling of fear that bothers me when I am awakened. 

That's your intuition speaking to you (we women were born with it for good reason). Years ago, I had constantly noisy neighbors in the "executive apt" next to mine. Turns out they were busboys at a nearby restaurant whose owner used it to provide cheap housing.  I complained and the next morning a tire on my car was slashed. I moved out 3 weeks later.

3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

That's your intuition speaking to you (we women were born with it for good reason). Years ago, I had constantly noisy neighbors in the "executive apt" next to mine. Turns out they were busboys at a nearby restaurant whose owner used it to provide cheap housing.  I complained and the next morning a tire on my car was slashed. I moved out 3 weeks later.

The person on the lease is the mom of 2 of the young men, so not like the busboys. 
Still, this would be the final motivation for me to move, but I just can’t figure out where to go. For one thing, there’s no point in moving somewhere with more problems. I’ve got enough money, but it’s not a million bucks either. And I’m not sure how qualifying for a lease or mortgage works when you’re retired—but first: Where??!!???? (rhetorical question)

• Love 2

I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing the word "narrative" again.   Also, "fake news."  If something's a lie, just say it's a lie, or untrue.  I also don't like "not a good look" and "tone deaf."  

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Angeltoes said:

Coworker who is 61 has a daughter who is starting college in the fall.  Coworker says,"We're not sure yet what classes we're signing up for.  The college gave us some suggestions so we may just go with those."  We??  The daughter refused to go to the local community college and is going to one two hours away.  Coworker says it's because the daughter wants to shack up with her boyfriend.  I'm betting that's not the only reason.

Good for the daughter for insisting on a college away from the parent(s). If that comment by the parent is typical, then the daughter needs to get away so she can make her own decisions. Not that helicopter/overly controlling parents are entirely new, though; a few decades ago I taught freshman English at a few universities, and almost invariably the students who bombed were the ones whose parents had controlled every single aspect of their lives until they went away to college. The students had never had the freedom to make their own choices and mistakes when the stakes were small, and so they were not prepared to make decisions and deal with mistakes when the stakes were higher. Parents who had insisted their high school kids could never stay up late at home, could not hang out with friends not personally vetted by the parents, etc., ended up with their kids becoming college freshmen who often completely went wild once away from home. All too often, those freshmen didn't realize you can't generally party 6 nights a week and still pass your classes. So my pet peeve is parents who delude themselves that the day their kid turns 18, despite having zero freedom and corresponding responsibility prior to that, the kid is going to wake up on their 18th birthday with fully formed adult sensibilities. These days, it seems like those same types of parents are expecting to control their kids' lives until they're 21 or something. They're not doing themselves or their kids any favors. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, isalicat said:

People have probably already posted this many times but I must say that my pet peeve for some time now has been the use of the "word": impactful. Makes my brain hurt.

I just took that out of some text today.

• LOL 1

I've got some words and phrases that affect me like fingernails on a blackboard. *Systemic* so, of course, we're hearing/reading the word several times a day.  *Golfing* I can still hear my mom asking, "And will they be tennising as well?"  My all-time most loathed phrase is: "I take full responsibility".  It's been used so often and by some of the most despicable people that you'd think no one would want to utter that phrase ever again.

Your "golfing" peeve reminds me of the time I said "play bowling" to the delight (and mockery) of my friends! I don't know know why I said it that way, but I also don't know why it's wrong! You can play baseball, play golf, play Operation, etc. 

• LOL 2
On 6/10/2020 at 2:43 PM, Moose135 said:

Just typed long explanations only to now see a couple posters solved the local florist issue.  I think you’d get much better chance of everyone being happy picking the florist yourself not relying on a service who really has no idea what the shop can do or what flowers they have on hand at what ever point during the  holiday.  It’s much cheaper too you only get charged for their local delivery not a costly service charge. Most shops love what they are doing ( it’s physically exhausting and not going to get rich doing it ) and want happy return customers.

The  expression that irks me is “ it is what it is”  

The  expression that irks me is “ it is what it is”  

Me too! Unless it's about a TV show or a food you don't like or a weird, constant smell in a relative's home, this phrase screams of dismissiveness, and a "Who cares--why even try to make anything better?" And that pisses me off. ESPECIALLY NOW.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

A repeat from last year, but... bug bites! I have three huge mosquito bites on the back of my neck. Bad enough, but apparently I'm also allergic to my new sunscreen. Or my chest is anyway. I'm a mass of itchy, ugly bumps!

Meanwhile, I seem to be allergic to my old (but not expired) sunscreen. Maybe it’s stress? I guess I’ll try one of those baby sunscreens with zinc as the “active ingredient.”

I already had my first and worst few mosquito bites of the season, so the new ones aren’t lasting too long. 

• Love 2