Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Ya'll got me grumpier than normal this week, lol!

I hate being on the bus and having some dickwad stand on the side of the door where you have to depart from, nevermind there are empty seats all around!  So, when I get off the bus, I make sure my cane stomps the foot of the moron or I use my ample hip to smush the person aside.

This morning, I stood behind a woman to purchase my ginger ale when her friend came in and gave her money to get her something.  That was bad enough but I nam myoho renge kyo'd it off.  Then, bitch had the balls to walk back to the cashier and ask for something else?!  Oh hell no!  I bellowed 'EXCUSE ME!  Do you not see me behind this lady?!'  I didn't hear her response 'cause I had on my headphones, but my arched painted brow must have given her pause because the twit walked away.

Rudeness really gets my Irish up and I ain't even Irish!

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Oh hell no!  I bellowed 'EXCUSE ME!  Do you not see me behind this lady?!'  I

Ugh I'm having a flashback to Christmas.  All us nice polite ladies have formed a line waiting for our turn at the cash, finally I'm next and some man comes up out of nowhere and goes to the counter.  And the cashier - who knew damn well where the line was started to process his order.  I stepped forward and said "I believe I was next" and the man gets all exaggeratedly polite and says "well by all means go ahead" as if he's doing me a huge favour.  And the cashier is looking apologetic AT HIM.  I dropped my stuff on the counter and walked out.  I still get mad when I think about this.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Beany Malone said:

Ugh I'm having a flashback to Christmas.  All us nice polite ladies have formed a line waiting for our turn at the cash, finally I'm next and some man comes up out of nowhere and goes to the counter.  And the cashier - who knew damn well where the line was started to process his order.  I stepped forward and said "I believe I was next" and the man gets all exaggeratedly polite and says "well by all means go ahead" as if he's doing me a huge favour.  And the cashier is looking apologetic AT HIM.  I dropped my stuff on the counter and walked out.  I still get mad when I think about this.

Da HELL?!  Unbelievable.  These are the times when I wish my sister had been with me....lady does not play and would have reamed him a new anus only to rip that one out too.

• LOL 3
1 minute ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Da HELL?!  Unbelievable.  These are the times when I wish my sister had been with me....lady does not play and would have reamed him a new anus only to rip that one out too.

I was mad at the guy because, well jerk.  But I was madder at the cashier.  She knew that guy had no right to cut in front of a line of customers and instead of telling him to go wait his turn she gives him  priority over the rest of us?  I always wondered if anyone else walked out as well but, hey we're Canadian so I'm betting not.  

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, Beany Malone said:

I was mad at the guy because, well jerk.  But I was madder at the cashier.  She knew that guy had no right to cut in front of a line of customers and instead of telling him to go wait his turn she gives him  priority over the rest of us?  I always wondered if anyone else walked out as well but, hey we're Canadian so I'm betting not.  

Male privilege?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I always appreciate that the cashiers at Trader Joe’s will come over to people who are waiting and take them to the newly opened cash register, rather than let people fight it out. It’s so civilized.

More stores are doing that now (instead of announcing that a new line is open). It sure makes me feel better when they pull my cart over to their checkout and nobody can get in front of me.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I always appreciate that the cashiers at Trader Joe’s will come over to people who are waiting and take them to the newly opened cash register, rather than let people fight it out. It’s so civilized.

That's what they do at my local market, too.  I've seen them do it (or at least call out to and gesture at the first person - something to make clear there's an order to this process) at the chains, but not consistently like they do at the independent grocer.  It's one of the many things I like about the place.  I wish it happened everywhere; it's pathetic that it needs to be done, of course, but it's a little thing that avoids a problem.

• Love 3

I love the sweet hippies who work at my Trader Joe’s.  I just wish everyone who shopped there could be as nice.  Too many annoying parents who let their annoying kids scream and run amok in the store.

Dear God I sound like I’m 85.  Get off my lawn! *shakes fist*

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I feel like this is bigger than a standard peeve and at least in large part just how I am wired, so I should be used to it, but this whole situation has me super-tense; I keep having to tell myself to, like, unclench my jaw and shoulders--even just sitting around on my couch. I have always hated this kind of thing in works of fiction and I hate it now; It's literally my nightmare.

• Love 3

Corporations who ask you to donate for their obvious tax writeoffs. Walgreens wanting you to answer yes or no to donate while using the pen on their little machine. No Walgreens brand sanitizer nearby either. Many in my community hate that Rite Aid closed and is now Walgreens and I now will join them in never shopping there again.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, rcc said:

Corporations who ask you to donate for their obvious tax writeoffs. Walgreens wanting you to answer yes or no to donate while using the pen on their little machine. No Walgreens brand sanitizer nearby either. Many in my community hate that Rite Aid closed and is now Walgreens and I now will join them in never shopping there again.

A thousand times this. I'm already paying you for your merchandise, I'm not paying your taxes too. It really pisses me off & everybody seems to be doing it, & they don't even tell you what you're really donating for, it's always "help families" or "save dogs", never specifically where your money goes. I always say no.

• Love 6

Bought a TIVO which I am super stoked about. I called Spectrum to find out how to get a cable card and the guy says I can go to the store. Great, fine, so I went to the store and kept my distance. Dude at the store says they don't have cable cards in the store but they can send a technician to deliver one & install it but it will be a service call. Uh, no. I am not paying to have someone slide a cable card into the slot on my TIVO.

Home I went - now waiting over an hour on hold with Spectrum so I can have one sent to me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Bought a TIVO which I am super stoked about. I called Spectrum to find out how to get a cable card and the guy says I can go to the store. Great, fine, so I went to the store and kept my distance. Dude at the store says they don't have cable cards in the store but they can send a technician to deliver one & install it but it will be a service call. Uh, no. I am not paying to have someone slide a cable card into the slot on my TIVO.

Home I went - now waiting over an hour on hold with Spectrum so I can have one sent to me.

I have had a TiVo for over 15 years. I've upgraded several times. I love them so much! I have to warn you that the Spectrum cable cards don't play well with TiVo just because. They also get really, really hot, like burning hot to the touch, so make sure there's air circulation around the unit. I also have to have a separate Spectrum channel box thing that integrates with the TiVo because I have "premium" channels (of course, no cheaper with just internet through Spectrum).

What version TiVo did you get? I have the original Bolt and...it's not great, Bob, but I still would die on a hill for TiVo 10 times versus ANY of the other boxes (DirecTV, AT&T U-Verse, etc.) My boyfriend has U-Verse TV and it is the literal worst. TiVo is so intuitive and user-friendly.

The only downside is that TiVo can't yet (I don't think) do on-demand programming. That's a limitation of the cable cards. At some point, the technology will allow it, but not yet. I get around that with Chromecast, casting shows from cable apps to my TV, or with through TiVo with Hulu, Netflix, Prime, etc. My family members and I all have one account of each of those platforms and we share the logins.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Problem solved. Spoke with someone who is sending one out via UPS.

35 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I love them so much! I have to warn you that the Spectrum cable cards don't play well with TiVo just because. They also get really, really hot, like burning hot to the touch, so make sure there's air circulation around the unit. I also have to have a separate Spectrum channel box thing that integrates with the TiVo because I have "premium" channels (of course, no cheaper with just internet through Spectrum).

Good to know. Thanks. The space has ventilation and I have basic cable so no extra channel box will be required. 

36 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

What version TiVo did you get? I have the original Bolt and...it's not great

Bolt and a mini box. My friend has this set-up and LOVES it. My last TIVO was a series2 that needed dial-up to update. I currently have no DVR services (outside my budget right along with premium cable) so this is an upgrade even if it's not perfect

38 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

The only downside is that TiVo can't yet (I don't think) do on-demand programming.

Aware and not an issue.

There was a HUGE difference in quality of construction between the series 2/3s and the Bolt. I had the earlier versions and they were made with a metal body (kind of like a VCR) that could be opened up and, in fact, I replaced a faulty fan in one of my earlier TiVos. The Bolt is all plastic construction and just feels inferior. I get that it's cheaper to make, but it's been a downgrade. I'm actually on my second Bolt, another "renewed" box, because I've had so much trouble with the cable card and channel adapter box not working well with the Bolt. I've replaced all the components--Bolt, cable card and channel adapter. That leaves the cable lines as the problem, which Spectrum refuses to fix, of course. I have to reset the adapter at least once a week, which is HIGHLY annoying.

Spectrum notoriously doesn't play well with TiVo. There are online forums about it. You will likely have to call Spectrum to get the cable card configured to the TiVo, which takes a while. Once it all works, though, it's great!

Edited by bilgistic

Trees. Trees and their damned pollen. I don't have COVID 19 or the flu or even a cold but I feel like I'm drowning in phlegm because trees keep having sex.

• LOL 11
  • Love 4

I don't know if I mentioned this, but my parents REALLY stepped up for me after my car accident and got me a used car, a 2006 Ford Focus. (I call it "the car they didn't get me when I was 16". Heh.) It seems to be a good car and has been well taken care of, but because I have shit luck, on Friday night, the check engine light came on.

Long story short, it was a faulty thermostat (it "fails open" but would not overheat the engine) and I opted to go ahead and get it fixed because I am the type that will worry about car things obsessively. Also, I have no way of knowing if the previous owner cleared out the check engine light (I've had the car a month) to "see if the problem goes away" and it's just now coming on again. I just can't ignore car issues. It was hella expensive to fix so quickly, so now I have yet another credit card (good credit/no money) that I won't be able to pay in the near future.

• Love 7

TIVO is up and running!

Cable card arrived today - Spectrum sent it overnight which was awesome!
Popped it in the TIVO, called to have it activated and the woman I spoke with says it has to be "paired" to the device. That took about 20 minutes, mostly due to me trying to locate things in the TIVO settings and waiting for signals to be sent.
Set up the Vox Mini upstairs, had to run it downstairs to use the Ethernet for the initial set-up, then back upstairs to get it paired with the primary device.

So happy!

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

TIVO is up and running!

Cable card arrived today - Spectrum sent it overnight which was awesome!
Popped it in the TIVO, called to have it activated and the woman I spoke with says it has to be "paired" to the device. That took about 20 minutes, mostly due to me trying to locate things in the TIVO settings and waiting for signals to be sent.
Set up the Vox Mini upstairs, had to run it downstairs to use the Ethernet for the initial set-up, then back upstairs to get it paired with the primary device.

So happy!

Glad it was relatively painless! Enjoy!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I don't know if I mentioned this, but my parents REALLY stepped up for me after my car accident and got me a used car, a 2006 Ford Focus. (I call it "the car they didn't get me when I was 16". Heh.) It seems to be a good car and has been well taken care of, but because I have shit luck, on Friday night, the check engine light came on.

Long story short, it was a faulty thermostat (it "fails open" but would not overheat the engine) and I opted to go ahead and get it fixed because I am the type that will worry about car things obsessively. Also, I have no way of knowing if the previous owner cleared out the check engine light (I've had the car a month) to "see if the problem goes away" and it's just now coming on again. I just can't ignore car issues. It was hella expensive to fix so quickly, so now I have yet another credit card (good credit/no money) that I won't be able to pay in the near future.

Other that that, how are you? I know you got busted up pretty bad in that wreck. I've been wondering if you are feeling ok now. When I broke my wrist on Christmas, I thought it would never heal. It feels pretty good now but that's only because I was lucky enough to completely immobilize it for several weeks and I know you weren't able to do that, what with your work schedule.  Are you good now?

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

When I broke my wrist on Christmas, I thought it would never heal. It feels pretty good now but that's only because I was lucky enough to completely immobilize it for several weeks...

You broke yours, too? I broke both bones in my right wrist (and I'm right handed, of course) on July 4th and I swear it still doesn't feel 100%. I was in a cast from my fingers to my shoulder for 3 weeks and then one from my palm to my forearm for 3 more. My rehab guy said it would never be the same as it was before but my body would find ways around that. I still randomly drop heavy things and it aches when it rains. I can tell the forecast with my wrist, foot, and tailbone now, lol! 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, emma675 said:

You broke yours, too? I broke both bones in my right wrist (and I'm right handed, of course) on July 4th and I swear it still doesn't feel 100%. I was in a cast from my fingers to my shoulder for 3 weeks and then one from my palm to my forearm for 3 more. My rehab guy said it would never be the same as it was before but my body would find ways around that. I still randomly drop heavy things and it aches when it rains. I can tell the forecast with my wrist, foot, and tailbone now, lol! 

Lucky for me, it was my left wrist and I'm right handed. My poor hubby had to do everything, right down to washing my hair. I'm here to tell you that was waay more intimate than sex. It works ok. The real test was moving the dishwasher. We have a portable dishwasher that I have to drag over to the sink. I was finally able to do it just last week and it hurt for a couple days after that. Also it's kind of all misshapen now. Is yours?

• Love 1

Mine pretty much looks normal now, although it took a few months for the swelling to go down. I was really lucky I didn't have to have surgery and they only had to manually nudge it back into place before putting the cast on. I was horrified when they removed the first cast, I had no idea how nasty it could get in there! I have a picture of my "corpse arm" where it's shriveled, covered in bits of the cotton batting they wrapped it in, and colorless except for my green bruised palm and a black line of a bruise that ran down my arm. How long was your cast on?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Other that that, how are you? I know you got busted up pretty bad in that wreck. I've been wondering if you are feeling ok now. When I broke my wrist on Christmas, I thought it would never heal. It feels pretty good now but that's only because I was lucky enough to completely immobilize it for several weeks and I know you weren't able to do that, what with your work schedule.  Are you good now?

Thanks for asking. :) It's been seven weeks now and I'm just now--literally, as of yesterday--to the point where I'm not having to take 800mg of ibuprofen around the clock--I'm trying taking a smaller amount less often--but I've also been laying very low the past couple of weeks, not doing any lifting or pulling. Amazing what actually resting will do for a damaged body.

My doctor only gave me so many hydrocodone pills and muscle relaxants, so after about three weeks, I was left to just ibuprofen, which was barely touching the pain (severe internal bruising to ribs and chest). You don't realize how much you use your "core"/torso until it's injured! I get not wanting people to become addicted, but for those of us who really need the RX meds and are in real pain, it sucks to be treated like we're going to start doing lines or whatever. (I know nothing about drug abuse, clearly.) Because I had so few, I was taking the meds very sparingly, only when I was in screaming pain, so basically when I woke up and when I went to bed so that I could sleep, but sleeping was rough; I couldn't get comfortable.

I really screwed up by trying to work here and there right after the accident. I would've healed earlier and better had I stayed out of work from the beginning, but I was operating from a position of fear. Of course, my finances are now a flaming disaster, but if I can't physically do a job, there's no point in pretending.

Speaking of my finances. I just did my taxes. Hoo, boy. I owe just over $1000 to state and federal combined. I'm really not sure how that's possible when I made less than $18K and had nearly $2800 in medical deductions. (I mean, I am sure, due to liquidating the final whole $500 I had in an IRA, but it's still ludicrous that I should owe that much.) I'm still making payments on my 2018 taxes. So I'll be waiting to file until the last minute and making tiny payments until the end of time.

28 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

So I'll be waiting to file until the last minute and making tiny payments until the end of time.

I’m not sure if this is official, but I think they’re at least proposing a grace period for taxes due, as long as you still file on time 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m not sure if this is official, but I think they’re at least proposing a grace period for taxes due, as long as you still file on time 

I think that i saw that it was 90 days.  Bit didn't see more than a quick scrawl.

• Love 1

I'm full of peeves.

I got the health insurance statement in the mail yesterday for the post-accident ER visit. (I have insurance through the "marketplace".)

$12,000.

My "responsibility" is in the hundreds (which might as well be $12K because I don't have several hundred dollars either), but the fact that a CT scan, ONE pain pill and six hours of sitting on my ass at the ER costs $12,000 is absolutely LUDICROUS.

Edited by bilgistic
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm full of peeves.

I got the health insurance statement in the mail yesterday for the post-accident ER visit. (I have insurance through the "marketplace".)

$12,000.

My "responsibility" is in the hundreds (which might as well be $12K because I don't have several hundred dollars either), but the fact that a CT scan, ONE pain pill and six hours of sitting on my ass at the ER costs $12,000 is absolutely LUDICROUS.

You can dispute that shit. Call the hospital and make them an offer. That's what I did after I had my son. I had solid platinum insurance and they wanted 1100.00. for a C-section. I got it down to zero.

I have a picture of my "corpse arm" where it's shriveled, covered in bits of the cotton batting they wrapped it in, and colorless except for my green bruised palm and a black line of a bruise that ran down my arm. How long was your cast on?

I only had to wear a brace with three heavy duty velcro straps so I could take it off for short periods of time. It got gross super fast though. And yes, scrawny, pale and stinky. Bleh, I hope none of us has to got through that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm full of peeves.

$12,000.

I agree with @peacheslatour.  Give them a call and explain that you have no money to pay.  You aren't looking for a payment plan because you have no money.  Most likely they will either write off the balance, or find a state or local program that will cover the cost.  You may need to submit proof of income and bank statements, but (unfortunately) that's not a problem in your situation.  You can bet your care cost them a heck of a lot less than $12,000!!!!!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 3/6/2020 at 9:24 AM, Beany Malone said:

I've got a fair few family members and friends who are in the nursing profession and they will be the first to tell you that constant handwashing and sanitizing does a real number on your hands!

It's happened to me too, so they're not alone.

• Love 2

People somewhat older than me: Just because only you can shop 6-7:30 does not mean you can only shop 6-7:30.

And perhaps you could leave something on the shelves for the rest of us.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

am surprised that hasn't sparked an age discrimination lawsuit of some sort.  Of course any person attempting to sue would probably face a heck of a lot of criticism for doing so.   That said, if some older folks are cleaning off the shelves, leaving little for everyone else, that is a huge problem.  If they haven't been put in already, I wouldn't be surprised if purchase limits per customer were put into place in an effort to stop hoarding.  Allowing customers to buy a certain number of items per grouping.  That would give other customers the opportunity to buy what they need, instead of staring at empty store shelves.

I was at the store maybe 15 minutes after they opened.  They only have senior shopping hours on Tues, Wed, and Thurs, I think, so that wasn't an issue.  A lot of the shelves were still bare and a lot of them pretty scanty.  So, it might not be the seniors' fault.  You don't know when your store is stocking up, or if they're even able to on some items.  I seriously think we may have seen the last of the toilet paper for a very long time.

I do agree on the limits, though. If the government was able to get out a workable rationing system in World War II, they ought to be able to do it now.

Edited by Katy M
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I'm sure that some 85-year-old woman who eats a tin of tuna and a cup of tea every day is stripping the grocery shelves bare.

Look, here are some of those greedy oldsters right now!

These two frail senior citizens lost their shit when they weren't allowed to buy out all the Mountain Dew in the store.  Imagine depriving them of the very staff of life!

And Grandma Moses here:

image.png.b67c5c6d33ea6f564df40a9a1b4a8429.png

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I am surprised that hasn't sparked an age discrimination lawsuit of some sort. 

Young people are not a protected class, older people are (in certain areas of law).  Because the former have not been consistently discriminated against because of their age, while the latter have.  So they're granted standing, whoop-de-doo - again, in certain areas of law - to raise a discrimination claim.  They're not handed a victory on the merits because of their age.

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

If they haven't been put in already, I wouldn't be surprised if purchase limits per customer were put into place in an effort to stop hoarding.

They have.  I do not know a single store in my area (Los Angeles), chain or independent, that hasn't imposed limits on items being hoarded.  Seniors who do not have a less-vulnerable person to do their shopping for them, who cannot afford - or wait for - delivery, or who don't qualify - or can't wait for - any available services and thus must venture out to a grocery store simply have the option of turning up at the ass crack of morning to shop in the 30-60 minutes (depending on the store) before the store opens to the general public, thus reducing their exposure.  They are not granted a "clear the shelves" pass based on age.

Thus, no grounds for a lawsuit.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

Oh, yeah, I forgot about this guy, who clearly broke out of his assisted-living facility to snap up all the printer paper in the Southern Hemisphere.

Seriously, does anyone believe that old people are responsible for the selfish panic buying that's going on?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
57 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I am surprised that hasn't sparked an age discrimination lawsuit of some sort.  Of course any person attempting to sue would probably face a heck of a lot of criticism for doing so.   That said, if some older folks are cleaning off the shelves, leaving little for everyone else, that is a huge problem.  

The reason the special hours were created was because older people weren't getting anything, a lot of them just aren't fast enough to grab things off the shelf before younger people get them all. Plus, they are the most vulnerable, letting them go to the store when it won't be as crowded helps to protect them. I have no problem with them getting special hours.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

Not a surprise that the hoarding is happening, but definitely crazy that anyone thinks that because a protected time slot has been set aside for the most vulnerable population--a rare show of humanity and compassion--that those older people are taking advantage to load up on beer and rib eyes.  It'd honestly be laughable if it weren't so horrific.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

These two frail senior citizens lost their shit when they weren't allowed to buy out all the Mountain Dew in the store.  Imagine depriving them of the very staff of life!

Those two look like exactly the kind of people I'd imaging throwing a shit fit over how much Mountain Dew they were allowed to buy. And that dude's haircut. My god. 

I look forward to that clip being shown next season on My 600-lb Life.

As I understand it, the early hours were chosen because the store would just have been cleaned and restocked. The stores are closed 8 pm - 6 am now, which was not previously the case. for those purposes.

Everyone cramming into the store in the 90 minute window is no more conducive to their health, or that of the employees. IMO. In addition to limiting amounts of products, there should be a limit on how many people can be in the store at once. IMO. Maybe using ticket numbers like at the deli.

The situation in my neighborhood, at the store I go to:

https://ctmirror.org/category/ct-viewpoints/stuck-in-a-stop-shop-traffic-jam-of-seniors/

And another from another place with the same special hours:

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/hundreds-of-nj-seniors-lined-up-for-toilet-paper-at-6-am-it-was-gone-in-8-minutes.html

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

they have to put up with jerks, too. It must be so stressful.

Gee, and of course people in service jobs NEVER had to put up with jerks before. 😁

Sorry, not trying to be snide to you for displaying empathy, just had to giggle a little.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, ABay said:

In addition to limiting amounts of products, there should be a limit on how many people can be in the store at once.

There is here.  I think Costco lets in 200 or something like that since it's huge, but the grocery stores are anywhere from 10-40 depending on size.  And they've put tape on the floor to mark off six feet in the checkout lines.

• Love 1
On 3/22/2020 at 3:25 PM, icemiser69 said:

That said, if some older folks are cleaning off the shelves, leaving little for everyone else, that is a huge problem.  If they haven't been put in already, I wouldn't be surprised if purchase limits per customer were put into place in an effort to stop hoarding.  Allowing customers to buy a certain number of items per grouping.  That would give other customers the opportunity to buy what they need, instead of staring at empty store shelves.

I actually think it's the other way around. Most supermarkets don't get their stock replenished until late at night, so that the shelves are fully stocked in the early morning. I'd venture a guess to say they normally get them later in the morning or mid-afternoon.  We'd been putting off grocery shopping for over 2 weeks b/c we are both in our 60s, although in decent health.  We were super low on toilet paper, had run out of napkins, so we decided to avail ourselves to the 6 a.m. opening for seniors. We arrived at 5:45 and when the doors opened at 6 were told there were NO PAPER GOODS AT ALL!  The shelves were all BARE, BARE, BARE! No  cleaning supplies, no canned goods, no pasta, no meat, no frozen vegetables. The only things that were plentiful were the in the dairy and bread aisles. Some stores are instituting a 2 package policy on chicken, etc, but toilet paper is nowhere to be found around here.  I'm an hour out of NYC, the epicenter, so I'm freaking out quite a bit.  My county has over 1200 confirmed cases already.

There was a video on Facebook the other day showing a woman in a warmer climate (palm trees visible), who had 2 metal dollies filled to the top with cardboard boxes. Inside the boxes were packages of toilet paper. She had cleared out the entire inventory of Dollar General or Dollar Tree. The woman filming her did so b/c she was greeted with an expletive when questioned. I don't understand how the store manager could allow something like this. Some people are just odious!  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

The grocery store I worked at until recently (a Southern U.S. regional chain) gets their trucks in the mid-to-late afternoon, so by closing (10pm), everything is out on the shelves.

Obviously, different stores have different schedules.

Also, during the best of times, we had only one or two rolls of paper towels and three spray bottles of glass and surface cleaner (NOT chlorinated or antibacterial disinfectant) for the whole front end (five registers). I have a very hard time thinking it's gotten any better since then.

• Love 1