Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

Recommended Posts

I like that @theredhead77, I will use that in the future! The wait staff spoke to the children a couple times, and the parents did the "Susy, come sit down!" and then 2 minutes later Suzy was up running around the table again.

When my children were small we did not go out a lot, money was tight and we couldn't afford a sitter AND a dinner out, so unless my parents were available we stayed home. Besides, if we did go out, it was to have adult time and not have to entertain the little ones. That doesn't seem to be a mindset these days....

Edited by BexKeps
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

My cousin has four kids (and popped one out every two years, so for years that meant having four young children), and they were remarkably well behaved as children.  Once when visiting her brother, he wanted to take them (and their mom) out to a nice restaurant, but she balked - they're almost always good, but if this is the night one of them isn't, she doesn't want to be in a fancy restaurant.  He insisted, and as they were seated, they could see the "oh, come on!" expressions on the faces of all the diners around them.  The kids conducted themselves appropriately, and as other diners finished their meals, they came by the table and complimented them on how the kids behaved (saying things like "we expected disaster, but ...").

No one was surprised by the reactions - neither the "why is this happening to me?" expressions at the beginning or the "wow, that did not go how I thought it would" relief at the end - because it was, indeed, far more likely that having four kids seated at the next table was going to ruin what was supposed to be a nice - and costly - evening.

I think parental attitudes have grown pretty dismal, with the notion they're entitled to bring their kids with them anywhere they go and those disturbed by their behavior are just haters.  It's not always appropriate.  There are adult spaces left in the world; kids don't belong everywhere.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Oh my goodness, those dumb damn small socks that are intended for wearing invisibly with ballet flats! I bought them to help fill a bit of extra space in my somewhat-too-big shoes.* They suck a ball! In fact, they are each IN a ball right now, as I gave up actually wearing them on my feet and just stuffed them right up into the pointy toe part

I had the same issue with those socks until someone told me to buy them a half size or even a full size smaller than my shoe size. They stretch out so much that they end up fitting your foot and don't end up in a bunch in the toe or heel of your shoe. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I think parental attitudes have grown pretty dismal, with the notion they're entitled to bring their kids with them anywhere they go and those disturbed by their behavior are just haters.  It's not always appropriate.  There are adult spaces left in the world; kids don't belong everywhere

You said it well. I specifically mentioned breweries because to me they are "Adult" spaces, the main theme is the beer that they brew, discussion about the beer they brew and those beers being served throughout the day. I have never seen any kid-friendly events at these places, I have never seen a brewery advertise events that would pertain to young children, so why people think dragging there young ones to a place like this is beyond me. Other than what you said, entitlement. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

What I need someone to invent is, like...tights that have a kind of padded, puffy bottom of the foot! They would help me fill up my shoe-space and not be seen around the edges AND not fall off! Who will make this for me?!

Share this post


Link to post

On 3/1/2020 at 4:54 PM, KnoxForPres said:

beef stroganoff

That reminds me of that old joke about a horny bull that couldn't get a date.

I have a relative who brought her kids over to another relative's house.  She allowed those kids to sit in the kitchen and bang pots and pans.   Relative or no relative, if someone came into my house pulled out pots and pans and started banging them, they would all be sent home.

I was over a friend's house back in the day and his in-laws bought his daughter a toy electric guitar,  I left fifteen minutes later.   I don't do well with loud noises.

That is one way to send a message to parents who have unruly kids, give those kids loud toys and see how the parents like it.   Of course I assume most parents just tune out the noise that their kids make anyway.

 

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I like that @theredhead77, I will use that in the future!

I'm SUPER nice to the kids, even the ones who are old enough to know better. It's not their fault they don't have proper parental supervision. The older ones I'll get a little stern with if they keep going and are disrupting me but dude, it "takes a village", right?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

We've talked about this one before, but I'm venting: People who don't RSVP.  The RSVP deadline for my parents' 50th anniversary party was the 1st, but there are two couples we haven't heard from.  Come on!  There are addressed, stamped envelopes included.  If you misplaced it, send an email.

Both couples would have to fly out to attend, so I assume if we haven't received a "yep, I'll be there" response by now (the party is ten days away), they're not coming -- I don't anticipate this being a situation where someone doesn't RSVP and then just shows up, causing a lot of last-second shuffling.  But how rude not to respond at all.  And these are people in their 70s, brought up when etiquette was still a thing.  And surely in their 70-some years, they have hosted at least one party, or heard someone complain about hosting a party, and thus know that hosts need an accurate headcount. 

 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I don't anticipate this being a situation where someone doesn't RSVP and then just shows up, causing a lot of last-second shuffling. 

If they did show up I don't know how much shuffling I would do for them. Inconsiderate clods.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

If they did show up I don't know how much shuffling I would do for them. Inconsiderate clods.

You have checked in with them, right?  Because mail gets lost, in both directions. That’s more obvious to me now that I’ve set up Informed Delivery. I get a daily email with what I’m supposed to be getting that day, and hey! once in a while something just doesn’t turn up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

We've talked about this one before, but I'm venting: People who don't RSVP.  The RSVP deadline for my parents' 50th anniversary party was the 1st, but there are four people (two couples) we haven't heard from.  Come on!  There are addressed, stamped envelopes included.  If you misplaced it, send an email.

Reminds me of my son's wedding,  they didn't get an RSVP from my sister and her family (which meant 6 people) by the date they'd requested and when I called to ask she didn't understand why the bride's family wanted a written response.  Sigh.  Of course we were pretty sure they were coming but we had no way of knowing which meal option they were choosing and besides would it really have been so damn hard to just drop that pre-addressed and stamped card in the mail?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

43 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

You have checked in with them, right?  Because mail gets lost, in both directions. That’s more obvious to me now that I’ve set up Informed Delivery. I get a daily email with what I’m supposed to be getting that day, and hey! once in a while something just doesn’t turn up. 

I don't know why you quoted me, it was not my peeve but I do have Informed Delivery and I, personally would have checked with the people in question. But people that can't be bothered to RSVP don't get preferential treatment in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't know why you quoted me, it was not my peeve but I do have Informed Delivery and I, personally would have checked with the people in question. But people that can't be bothered to RSVP don't get preferential treatment in my book.

Oh sorry!!!! Now that I have a bigger screen in front of me I see you were just weighing in on the original peeve.  I think that was @Bastet ...?

I do stand by my opinion that while there's probably a 95% chance they're clods who can't be bothered, it can't hurt to give them the "benefit of the doubt" call - "I'm worried you didn't get the invitation to Mom & Dad's big significant party - I'm sure you would have responded so something must have gotten lost in the mail!"  Bonus points for passive aggressiveness 🙂

ETA - but on the other hand, our peeves are our peeves, so I should probably step out and stop second guessing the peevees.

Edited by SoMuchTV · Reason: second thoughts
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, my mom emailed them this morning after there were still no RSVPs in today's mail.  It's two minutes out of her day, but it's also a delay in confirming things with the restaurant and the florist while we wait to hear back to make sure we have an accurate headcount.  We wanted to have that nailed down two weeks out, but we really only need one week's notice, so it's not a big deal.  But if they'd sent their replies, it wouldn't be necessary.  It's just inconsiderate.  (Sure, one or both could have been lost in the mail, which is why we're double-checking.  But I doubt it.)

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Do they send cashiers to stupid school to learn how to bag? I think I've already vented about this here, but yesterday I went to Target & bought a bunch of things including two 2 liter soda bottles & a large multi pack of boxes of tissues. I brought two large shopping bags with me, & put them both on the conveyor belt in front of all my stuff. So what does the cashier do?  She tries to load everything in one bag, & when I said that there were two bags, she said "oh, you want me to use two bags?". Nooooo, I gave you the other one just to show you I have a matching pair, WTH did she think I put it down for if I didn't want it used?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, GaT said:

Do they send cashiers to stupid school to learn how to bag? I think I've already vented about this here, but yesterday I went to Target & bought a bunch of things including two 2 liter soda bottles & a large multi pack of boxes of tissues. I brought two large shopping bags with me, & put them both on the conveyor belt in front of all my stuff. So what does the cashier do?  She tries to load everything in one bag, & when I said that there were two bags, she said "oh, you want me to use two bags?". Nooooo, I gave you the other one just to show you I have a matching pair, WTH did she think I put it down for if I didn't want it used?

Lol.  Most baggers I've dealt with are pretty good, but the other day I had an insulated bag and a canvas bag, and I carefully put all my cold stuff at the front of the belt, and she started loading all the cold stuff into the non-insulated bag.  I said, hey, would you mind putting the cold stuff in the insulated bag?  She politely complied but seemed sort of confused at the request.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I feel like an old fogey complaining about this but sheesh - yesterday I was on a bus and someone sitting a few seats behind me was watching a TV show, I guess on their phone or an Ipad or some other nifty (see, old fogey) gadget.  Which would have been fine if they hadn't felt the need to have the volume up full blast.  So when did it become acceptable to listen to music or a TV show or whatever at full volume in public places?  Am I behind the times?

  • Like 11
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, GaT said:

Do they send cashiers to stupid school to learn how to bag? I think I've already vented about this here, but yesterday I went to Target & bought a bunch of things including two 2 liter soda bottles & a large multi pack of boxes of tissues. I brought two large shopping bags with me, & put them both on the conveyor belt in front of all my stuff. So what does the cashier do?  She tries to load everything in one bag, & when I said that there were two bags, she said "oh, you want me to use two bags?". Nooooo, I gave you the other one just to show you I have a matching pair, WTH did she think I put it down for if I didn't want it used?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the olden days of the early to mid '00s I was a courtesy clerk at a grocery store and they literally had us watch videos on how to bag, how many items go in a bag, what goes on the bottom, etc... Then there was a test. 

Now it seems like the  guidance is "round things together, all the light things in a single bag).

My bagging peeve are people who don't bag groceries if I bring my own bags. It's a HUGE issue at the Sprouts I go to and while I'll totally bag if they are obviously short staffed or there is a line but it's also meant I've forgotten to scan coupons and my app. The bags are at the front of my order and they just drop them down at the end of the counter. If I am bagging and stop in order to pay I have to say something like "here ya go" or "trade ya" so they finish up

1 hour ago, Beany Malone said:

I feel like an old fogey complaining about this but sheesh - yesterday I was on a bus and someone sitting a few seats behind me was watching a TV show, I guess on their phone or an Ipad or some other nifty (see, old fogey) gadget.  Which would have been fine if they hadn't felt the need to have the volume up full blast.  So when did it become acceptable to listen to music or a TV show or whatever at full volume in public places?  Am I behind the times?

You're not old. People are fucking rude.

A couple years ago my mom called me from the booth while she and my dad were having dinner (or waiting for their order). Nothing was wrong and she didn't seem to understand why I was so perturbed since so many people do it. I told her to call me when she got home.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Beany Malone said:

I feel like an old fogey complaining about this but sheesh - yesterday I was on a bus and someone sitting a few seats behind me was watching a TV show, I guess on their phone or an Ipad or some other nifty (see, old fogey) gadget.  Which would have been fine if they hadn't felt the need to have the volume up full blast.  So when did it become acceptable to listen to music or a TV show or whatever at full volume in public places?  Am I behind the times?

I am a passive-aggressive old fogey.  Not too long ago, I was sitting in an airport, waiting for my flight, when a teenager sat down next to me, and proceeded to watch/play some loud thing on his phone.  I politely offered him the use of my earbuds if he didn't have any.  He said, "Nah, I'm good." but also turned down the volume.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh sorry!!!! Now that I have a bigger screen in front of me I see you were just weighing in on the original peeve.  I think that was @Bastet ...?

I do stand by my opinion that while there's probably a 95% chance they're clods who can't be bothered, it can't hurt to give them the "benefit of the doubt" call - "I'm worried you didn't get the invitation to Mom & Dad's big significant party - I'm sure you would have responded so something must have gotten lost in the mail!"  Bonus points for passive aggressiveness 🙂

ETA - but on the other hand, our peeves are our peeves, so I should probably step out and stop second guessing the peevees.

No worries! 💝

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Beany Malone said:

I feel like an old fogey complaining about this but sheesh - yesterday I was on a bus and someone sitting a few seats behind me was watching a TV show, I guess on their phone or an Ipad or some other nifty (see, old fogey) gadget.  Which would have been fine if they hadn't felt the need to have the volume up full blast.  So when did it become acceptable to listen to music or a TV show or whatever at full volume in public places?  Am I behind the times?

Ohh this is totally rude!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/2/2020 at 1:21 PM, BexKeps said:

You said it well. I specifically mentioned breweries because to me they are "Adult" spaces, the main theme is the beer that they brew, discussion about the beer they brew and those beers being served throughout the day. I have never seen any kid-friendly events at these places, I have never seen a brewery advertise events that would pertain to young children, so why people think dragging there young ones to a place like this is beyond me. Other than what you said, entitlement. 

Because I’m a rather social lush, I go to breweries, wineries and bars regularly. Seeing kids/babies at these ADULT places eerily more frequently is a phenomenon that has greatly risen in the past ten years.
There’s even one local brewery that has a playground for kids in the back, no joke...speaking of actual kids, one night I went to that playground brewery because I heard they were hosting baby goats during happy hour. I fucking love baby goats and was so excited at the idea of snuggling little goats while slurping a Saison! I was pretty incensed when I arrived to what looked like a drunken Mommy & Me party, complete with endless toddlers and small children chasing after completely indifferent goats. Comon now.

I had to ask a bartender the other day why a CHILD was sitting in a seat at a crowded bar while other adults and I were desperately trying to order? He shrugged and said the kid’s dad was “the head brewer” and I’d have to take it up with him. Ridiculous. 

Not too long ago I was at a jazz club around midnight, and some gal was walking around with a toddler with headphones on. Are you fucking kidding me?! 
 

I completely quit going to a local winery on the weekends after I got tired of telling parents to please make sure their kids would stop screaming so much that I couldn’t even enjoy relaxed conversation on the vineyard picnic grounds with my friends over our wine.

Sure, I get that parents deserve their time to relax and have a pint too, but why must the rest of us ChildFree folks be forced to endure their choices?! I don’t go hang out at the local Daycare, Chuck E Cheese or park playgrounds getting drunk, for chrissakes. Some places need to be ADULTS ONLY, period! Drinking around children is a major buzzkill and I really don’t understand folks who don’t get this; you wanna get buzzed with all your equally insufferable parent buddies and their litters, fine, please host backyard parties or hang at family friendly places, not the local winery or bar with the rest of us saner adults.

Its only a matter of time before they’re going to allow kids in stripclubs, at this rate.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

How could I forget the parents I saw at 8ish the other night headed up with a kid in a stroller to a fashionably clubby bar with a DJ?! I legit wanted to ask them if they were lost and/or high. 

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

Sure, I get that parents deserve their time to relax and have a pint too, but why must the rest of us ChildFree folks be forced to endure their choices?!

I had children but when I went out for an evening, especially one that was going to cost a few $$ the kiddies stayed home.  I was less than impressed if I was in a relatively high end restaurant especially later in the evening and there were kids running around the place.  Sure, definitely some kids behave better than others (just like some adults) but even so, time and place people, time and place!

 

Edited by Beany Malone
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

I don’t go hang out at the local Daycare, Chuck E Cheese or park playgrounds getting drunk, for chrissakes.

It might be Very Bad if you did!

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Gotta get 'em young. Remember Joe Camel?

Hells yes, hah!!! I also sadly remember the infamous dead baby scene from “Trainspotting”, which is probably when my immediate distaste for parents who wanna get wasted around their young children first began... ((shudder))

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ugggh, if I see/hear one more smug, judgmental, above-it-all dummy squawking "just wash your haaaaaaaaaaaaands!" to anyone who is bummed about not being able to buy hand sanitizer, I will punch everybody. Do you think people want it so they can completely buck the ol' soap-and-water system?! The whole point of hand sanitizer is to use when there is no sink! (Or I guess to, you know, make a fortune by capitalizing on a health concern and selling through Amazon at exorbitant prices.)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

You can make your own hand sanitizer.  It was the first thing I Googled when it became obvious that it was hard to find and that sellers were price-gouging.  Just mix 2/3 cup isopropyl alcohol (91% strength or stronger) with 1/3 cup aloe vera gel (so it's gentler on your hands, though you can use just plain alcohol).  You can add a few drops of some nice-smelling oil also, if you want.  In a pinch, you can use overproof booze, but the alcohol strength needs to be at least 80%.  If you have a clean, empty pump bottle, you can use that to dispense it.  Here's one article, but there are tons of recipes out there.

It's absolutely disgusting--and should be criminal--for people to be profiteering at a time like this.

  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I thought about it but, lo and behold, there's no rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer (which I would be buying anyway with or without this nonsense) on the shelves near me. Thanks, greedy local jerks! 

Also, do the people who snatch it all up for themselves not realize that it benefits them when other people's hands are clean too?

But, oh, these people with their faux confusion and judgy, pearl-clutchy cries of "does no one wash their hands anymore?!" are missing the point of what hand sanitizer does...or are somehow able to carry sinks around with them, I guess?

 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

My pet peeve of the day is people who don't wash their hands when there is a perfectly good sink (with soap! and hot water!) right in front of them.  Today, for example, I was in the bathroom at work, and heard a flush from another stall, followed by the stall door slamming, then the door to the bathroom slamming.  The other person not only did not wash their hands, they didn't even pause when walking past the sink to the exit.  Ugh.

  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

It’s shocking to witness how many people not only so casually refuse to wash their hands when next to perfectly working sinks, but who randomly stick their fingers in their mouths in public. Like I’m constantly having to remind my teenage students to wash their hands/keep fingers out of their mouths. Cheetos/Taquis are even banned at my school because of red-dusted fingerprints around the building becoming such an issue. After 20 years working in education and a bit of healthcare, it’s just ingrained in me to constantly keep my hands washed and nails short because of the grime that can collect under there. 

Which brings me to another pet-peeve: nail biters. Can we specifically address nail biters with the whole “wash your hands” demand? Because I’ve known a few nail biters, and they’re nasty. Like I have such a phobia around nail biters that I don’t even let them touch me or my stuff because I know their fingers are freshly nibbled and constantly germy.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

You can make your own hand sanitizer.  It was the first thing I Googled when it became obvious that it was hard to find and that sellers were price-gouging.  Just mix 2/3 cup isopropyl alcohol (91% strength or stronger) with 1/3 cup aloe vera gel (so it's gentler on your hands, though you can use just plain alcohol).  You can add a few drops of some nice-smelling oil also, if you want.  In a pinch, you can use overproof booze, but the alcohol strength needs to be at least 80%.  If you have a clean, empty pump bottle, you can use that to dispense it.  Here's one article, but there are tons of recipes out there.

It's absolutely disgusting--and should be criminal--for people to be profiteering at a time like this.

And I heard on the radio the other day, that it's not safe to do this. and that it won't have the same effect as what Purell or other companies that make hand sanitizers make. It'll be gooey and other stuff.

Don't kill me. I'm just conveying what I heard after people went on social media letting all and sundry know one can make their own.

What peeves me is the misinformation that is being spread out. Or not the complete information with respect to touching your face. All I keep hearing on the stupid radio, is "don't touch your face" Like AT ALL. NO, that's not what the CDC is saying. They are saying, do not touch your face with unwashed hands, or if your hands have come into contact with contaminated surfaces. I even emailed the station about this, and yet, two days later, still the same: "don't touch your face...wear gloves...grab a stress ball when the urge to touch your face comes over you..." and other nonsense.

It's like washing your hands is some brand new-fangled action. I'm so sick of the fear-mongering.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

And with regard to washing your hands, for the most part this advice is for when you have potentially come into contact with a contaminated surface.  You really don't need to be continually washing or purelling your hands in your own home!  I've got friends who are constantly washing their hands now.  First that's not going to make any difference if you would never have been infected in the first place but second you're going to have a lot of problems with irritated skin if you aren't careful.  I've got a fair few family members and friends who are in the nursing profession and they will be the first to tell you that constant handwashing and sanitizing does a real number on your hands!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

21 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I heard on the radio the other day, that it's not safe to do this. and that it won't have the same effect as what Purell or other companies that make hand sanitizers make. It'll be gooey and other stuff.

It's safer than having nothing at all, if you can't get commercial hand sanitizer.  And it won't be gooey if you don't put anything gooey in with the alcohol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

And I heard on the radio the other day, that it's not safe to do this. and that it won't have the same effect as what Purell or other companies that make hand sanitizers make. It'll be gooey and other stuff.

I read three different articles yesterday on this and not one gave any reason for this not being safe other than that people may not get the alcohol ratio right. So, it sounds to me like what they meant to say (by way of alarmist hyperbole) is "possibly ineffective," which is very different than "unsafe." Also, it must depend on the aloe product; the one I use at home now is not gooey or sticky at all, but I used to have an after-sun gel that was unpleasantly so. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Beany Malone said:

You really don't need to be continually washing or purelling your hands in your own home! 

One of my best friends washes her hands more in a day than I do in a week.  I work from home and she's unemployed, so we both spend a lot of time in our own homes.  I tend not to wash my hands unless I got something on them, while she washes her hands after touching just about anything other than her cat.  Then she has to put lotion on them, because she washes them too often.  Her ex, with whom she lived for years, used to tell her, "Someday, I'm going to calculate what percentage of my life is spent waiting for you to finish your hand ritual."

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/5/2020 at 1:19 PM, Sun-Bun said:

Sure, I get that parents deserve their time to relax and have a pint too, but why must the rest of us ChildFree folks be forced to endure their choices?! I don’t go hang out at the local Daycare, Chuck E Cheese or park playgrounds getting drunk, for chrissakes. Some places need to be ADULTS ONLY, period! Drinking around children is a major buzzkill and I really don’t understand folks who don’t get this; you wanna get buzzed with all your equally insufferable parent buddies and their litters, fine, please host backyard parties or hang at family friendly places, not the local winery or bar with the rest of us saner adults.

@Sun-Bun Exactly! I go to a Wine & Food Fest ever year, the venue has 5 or 6 narrow aisles with vendors on both sides, and the event is to taste wine and sample food. It becomes ridiculous trying to weave between huge strollers and little kids bobbing along side their parents. Not to mention parents with strollers completely blocking the stall with their strollers while they taste and talk with the vendor so no one else can get close. WTH? You can't get a sitter on a Saturday afternoon for a couple hours???? And there there was the kid that threw up after tasting a few too many pieces of cheese, good god....

 

On 3/5/2020 at 1:54 PM, Beany Malone said:

I had children but when I went out for an evening, especially one that was going to cost a few $$ the kiddies stayed home.  I was less than impressed if I was in a relatively high end restaurant especially later in the evening and there were kids running around the place.  Sure, definitely some kids behave better than others (just like some adults) but even so, time and place people, time and place!

Same here @Beany Malone! The point of an evening out was to not have to wipe faces and  butts! I think too many people think their spawn is sooo special that everyone one will understand and not be bothered. If you can't afford a sitter, you probably can't afford the event, and you certainly won't be able to afford the legal hassle when you get pulled over for a DUI with a child in the car....

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I've never wanted to touch my face so much in my life until the news started telling me not to. 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 13

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/13/2020 at 12:58 PM, emma675 said:

Ooooh, I hate it when people IM me at work with just "Hi, emma675" and nothing else. Don't just say hi over IM, freaking follow up with why you're messaging me in the first place.

This happened to me this morning complete with waving smiley face.  I immediately thought of this conversation.  I was in the middle of working on an escalation and kept waiting for the actual message.  After about 5 minutes I responded, Hello. The I get "quick question" and nothing.  I just kept working on what I was doing.  I shouldn't have to pull out of you what your question is.  A full 10 minutes later she finally asks the question.

 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

15 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

This happened to me this morning complete with waving smiley face.  I immediately thought of this conversation.  I was in the middle of working on an escalation and kept waiting for the actual message.  After about 5 minutes I responded, Hello. The I get "quick question" and nothing.  I just kept working on what I was doing.  I shouldn't have to pull out of you what your question is.  A full 10 minutes later she finally asks the question.

 

That drives me crazy too. And it happens more frequently than we’d  think. The upside is 60% of the time if I don’t acknowledge the pleasantry the follow up question doesn’t come. I also hate “can I call you” with no details. 
 

My pet peeve is the new guy behind me at work who chews gum after lunch. I don’t chew gum so I won’t be good at describing what he’s doing but it involves snaps, gross noises, movement sounds  and makes me want to vomit and irrationally angry. 
 

I put my earbuds in but I’m the odd one who when I’m really focused I prefer no podcast or music so I resent having to put them in to stop my gag reflex. 

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

My pet peeve is the new guy behind me at work who chews gum after lunch. I don’t chew gum so I won’t be good at describing what he’s doing but it involves snaps, gross noises, movement sounds  and makes me want to vomit and irrationally angry. 

So, so, SO with you. Gum is disgusting enough on its own and the wet sounds just make me want to die. Or kill.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, emma675 said:

I've never wanted to touch my face so much in my life until the news started telling me not to. 

Local news showed an experiment tonight with some Georgetown students. They filmed them for a while and sure enough, even though they knew not to touch their face, they still did. A doctor was interviewed & she said there are many nerve endings in the face. That causes sensitivity & so we itch, or feel "something" on our face and need to brush it away, etc. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, emma675 said:

I've never wanted to touch my face so much in my life until the news started telling me not to. 

Me, too. It's driving me crazy. And my husband has the flu, so I've been washing my hands a lot at home.

2 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I also hate “can I call you” with no details.

That makes me want to answer the same way my third-grade teacher used to answer "can I" questions. When a student would ask, "Can I go to the bathroom?" she'd always say, "I don't know. Can you?"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

So I have another pet peeve. 
 

My weight fluctuates and I’m over my fighting weight right now. 
 

We have a gym onsite at work which I have recently taken advantage of. I’ve realized how out of shape I am but have been attending the noon classes and loving it. Yesterday I was told it would be stretching class bc so many were doing a marathon. I decided I’d just do the treadmill. 
 

I walked at what was to my out of shape butt a high speed on the treadmill for 40 minutes. Then I hit the cool down button which drastically decreased it to slow speed. I overheard one of the marathoners say “what is she doing- one mile per hour?”

Im 40 so it didn’t sting but I wish he had not said it.   I don’t love how I look right now and  am actively doing something about it. That comment wasn’t necessary or helpful. I’ll keep going but I’m not sure I would have at 25. So let’s just fuck off with overtly loud comments.

  • Like 20
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, KnoxForPres said:

Then I hit the cool down button which drastically decreased it to slow speed. I overheard one of the marathoners say “what is she doing- one mile per hour?”

I hate them and I hate their ass faces! It would have been nice to just turn and say "Ever heard of cool-down genius???" But who wants to start a whole "thing" with people you will see at the gym again and again?

It makes me angry because for some people doing one mile an hour for a workout actually could be a big accomplishment for them. And that kind of comment would make them feel like it wasn't. People need to remember they don't know another person's life, issues or abilities and keep their big traps shut!

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

People who are just at the gym period should be applauded and not the subject of snotty comments by assholes. It's so hard to get motivated and actually make the effort, so you should be proud of yourself!

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, KnoxForPres said:

I walked at what was to my out of shape butt a high speed on the treadmill for 40 minutes. Then I hit the cool down button which drastically decreased it to slow speed. I overheard one of the marathoners say “what is she doing- one mile per hour?”

I've never understood why people think you want commentary on your activities.  I was at the pool, and I was just leisurely swimming around in rectangles. I was the only one in the pool at the moment and some guy came in and said something like "good thing you're not in a race."  I think I actually said "When I want your opinion I'll ask for it."  

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size