Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, GaT said:

Do they send cashiers to stupid school to learn how to bag? I think I've already vented about this here, but yesterday I went to Target & bought a bunch of things including two 2 liter soda bottles & a large multi pack of boxes of tissues. I brought two large shopping bags with me, & put them both on the conveyor belt in front of all my stuff. So what does the cashier do?  She tries to load everything in one bag, & when I said that there were two bags, she said "oh, you want me to use two bags?". Nooooo, I gave you the other one just to show you I have a matching pair, WTH did she think I put it down for if I didn't want it used?

Lol.  Most baggers I've dealt with are pretty good, but the other day I had an insulated bag and a canvas bag, and I carefully put all my cold stuff at the front of the belt, and she started loading all the cold stuff into the non-insulated bag.  I said, hey, would you mind putting the cold stuff in the insulated bag?  She politely complied but seemed sort of confused at the request.

• Love 3

I feel like an old fogey complaining about this but sheesh - yesterday I was on a bus and someone sitting a few seats behind me was watching a TV show, I guess on their phone or an Ipad or some other nifty (see, old fogey) gadget.  Which would have been fine if they hadn't felt the need to have the volume up full blast.  So when did it become acceptable to listen to music or a TV show or whatever at full volume in public places?  Am I behind the times?

• Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, GaT said:

Do they send cashiers to stupid school to learn how to bag? I think I've already vented about this here, but yesterday I went to Target & bought a bunch of things including two 2 liter soda bottles & a large multi pack of boxes of tissues. I brought two large shopping bags with me, & put them both on the conveyor belt in front of all my stuff. So what does the cashier do?  She tries to load everything in one bag, & when I said that there were two bags, she said "oh, you want me to use two bags?". Nooooo, I gave you the other one just to show you I have a matching pair, WTH did she think I put it down for if I didn't want it used?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the olden days of the early to mid '00s I was a courtesy clerk at a grocery store and they literally had us watch videos on how to bag, how many items go in a bag, what goes on the bottom, etc... Then there was a test. 

Now it seems like the  guidance is "round things together, all the light things in a single bag).

My bagging peeve are people who don't bag groceries if I bring my own bags. It's a HUGE issue at the Sprouts I go to and while I'll totally bag if they are obviously short staffed or there is a line but it's also meant I've forgotten to scan coupons and my app. The bags are at the front of my order and they just drop them down at the end of the counter. If I am bagging and stop in order to pay I have to say something like "here ya go" or "trade ya" so they finish up

1 hour ago, Beany Malone said:

I feel like an old fogey complaining about this but sheesh - yesterday I was on a bus and someone sitting a few seats behind me was watching a TV show, I guess on their phone or an Ipad or some other nifty (see, old fogey) gadget.  Which would have been fine if they hadn't felt the need to have the volume up full blast.  So when did it become acceptable to listen to music or a TV show or whatever at full volume in public places?  Am I behind the times?

You're not old. People are fucking rude.

A couple years ago my mom called me from the booth while she and my dad were having dinner (or waiting for their order). Nothing was wrong and she didn't seem to understand why I was so perturbed since so many people do it. I told her to call me when she got home.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Beany Malone said:

I am a passive-aggressive old fogey.  Not too long ago, I was sitting in an airport, waiting for my flight, when a teenager sat down next to me, and proceeded to watch/play some loud thing on his phone.  I politely offered him the use of my earbuds if he didn't have any.  He said, "Nah, I'm good." but also turned down the volume.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh sorry!!!! Now that I have a bigger screen in front of me I see you were just weighing in on the original peeve.  I think that was @Bastet ...?

I do stand by my opinion that while there's probably a 95% chance they're clods who can't be bothered, it can't hurt to give them the "benefit of the doubt" call - "I'm worried you didn't get the invitation to Mom & Dad's big significant party - I'm sure you would have responded so something must have gotten lost in the mail!"  Bonus points for passive aggressiveness 🙂

ETA - but on the other hand, our peeves are our peeves, so I should probably step out and stop second guessing the peevees.

No worries! 💝

18 hours ago, Beany Malone said:

Ohh this is totally rude!

• Love 4
On 3/2/2020 at 1:21 PM, BexKeps said:

You said it well. I specifically mentioned breweries because to me they are "Adult" spaces, the main theme is the beer that they brew, discussion about the beer they brew and those beers being served throughout the day. I have never seen any kid-friendly events at these places, I have never seen a brewery advertise events that would pertain to young children, so why people think dragging there young ones to a place like this is beyond me. Other than what you said, entitlement. 

Because I’m a rather social lush, I go to breweries, wineries and bars regularly. Seeing kids/babies at these ADULT places eerily more frequently is a phenomenon that has greatly risen in the past ten years.
There’s even one local brewery that has a playground for kids in the back, no joke...speaking of actual kids, one night I went to that playground brewery because I heard they were hosting baby goats during happy hour. I fucking love baby goats and was so excited at the idea of snuggling little goats while slurping a Saison! I was pretty incensed when I arrived to what looked like a drunken Mommy & Me party, complete with endless toddlers and small children chasing after completely indifferent goats. Comon now.

I had to ask a bartender the other day why a CHILD was sitting in a seat at a crowded bar while other adults and I were desperately trying to order? He shrugged and said the kid’s dad was “the head brewer” and I’d have to take it up with him. Ridiculous. 

Not too long ago I was at a jazz club around midnight, and some gal was walking around with a toddler with headphones on. Are you fucking kidding me?! 

I completely quit going to a local winery on the weekends after I got tired of telling parents to please make sure their kids would stop screaming so much that I couldn’t even enjoy relaxed conversation on the vineyard picnic grounds with my friends over our wine.

Sure, I get that parents deserve their time to relax and have a pint too, but why must the rest of us ChildFree folks be forced to endure their choices?! I don’t go hang out at the local Daycare, Chuck E Cheese or park playgrounds getting drunk, for chrissakes. Some places need to be ADULTS ONLY, period! Drinking around children is a major buzzkill and I really don’t understand folks who don’t get this; you wanna get buzzed with all your equally insufferable parent buddies and their litters, fine, please host backyard parties or hang at family friendly places, not the local winery or bar with the rest of us saner adults.

Its only a matter of time before they’re going to allow kids in stripclubs, at this rate.

• Love 11
(edited)

How could I forget the parents I saw at 8ish the other night headed up with a kid in a stroller to a fashionably clubby bar with a DJ?! I legit wanted to ask them if they were lost and/or high. 

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 4
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

Sure, I get that parents deserve their time to relax and have a pint too, but why must the rest of us ChildFree folks be forced to endure their choices?!

I had children but when I went out for an evening, especially one that was going to cost a few $$ the kiddies stayed home.  I was less than impressed if I was in a relatively high end restaurant especially later in the evening and there were kids running around the place.  Sure, definitely some kids behave better than others (just like some adults) but even so, time and place people, time and place!

Edited by Beany Malone
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Gotta get 'em young. Remember Joe Camel?

Hells yes, hah!!! I also sadly remember the infamous dead baby scene from “Trainspotting”, which is probably when my immediate distaste for parents who wanna get wasted around their young children first began... ((shudder))

Edited by Sun-Bun

Ugggh, if I see/hear one more smug, judgmental, above-it-all dummy squawking "just wash your haaaaaaaaaaaaands!" to anyone who is bummed about not being able to buy hand sanitizer, I will punch everybody. Do you think people want it so they can completely buck the ol' soap-and-water system?! The whole point of hand sanitizer is to use when there is no sink! (Or I guess to, you know, make a fortune by capitalizing on a health concern and selling through Amazon at exorbitant prices.)

• Love 4

You can make your own hand sanitizer.  It was the first thing I Googled when it became obvious that it was hard to find and that sellers were price-gouging.  Just mix 2/3 cup isopropyl alcohol (91% strength or stronger) with 1/3 cup aloe vera gel (so it's gentler on your hands, though you can use just plain alcohol).  You can add a few drops of some nice-smelling oil also, if you want.  In a pinch, you can use overproof booze, but the alcohol strength needs to be at least 80%.  If you have a clean, empty pump bottle, you can use that to dispense it.  Here's one article, but there are tons of recipes out there.

It's absolutely disgusting--and should be criminal--for people to be profiteering at a time like this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Yeah, I thought about it but, lo and behold, there's no rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer (which I would be buying anyway with or without this nonsense) on the shelves near me. Thanks, greedy local jerks! 

Also, do the people who snatch it all up for themselves not realize that it benefits them when other people's hands are clean too?

But, oh, these people with their faux confusion and judgy, pearl-clutchy cries of "does no one wash their hands anymore?!" are missing the point of what hand sanitizer does...or are somehow able to carry sinks around with them, I guess?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

My pet peeve of the day is people who don't wash their hands when there is a perfectly good sink (with soap! and hot water!) right in front of them.  Today, for example, I was in the bathroom at work, and heard a flush from another stall, followed by the stall door slamming, then the door to the bathroom slamming.  The other person not only did not wash their hands, they didn't even pause when walking past the sink to the exit.  Ugh.

It’s shocking to witness how many people not only so casually refuse to wash their hands when next to perfectly working sinks, but who randomly stick their fingers in their mouths in public. Like I’m constantly having to remind my teenage students to wash their hands/keep fingers out of their mouths. Cheetos/Taquis are even banned at my school because of red-dusted fingerprints around the building becoming such an issue. After 20 years working in education and a bit of healthcare, it’s just ingrained in me to constantly keep my hands washed and nails short because of the grime that can collect under there. 

Which brings me to another pet-peeve: nail biters. Can we specifically address nail biters with the whole “wash your hands” demand? Because I’ve known a few nail biters, and they’re nasty. Like I have such a phobia around nail biters that I don’t even let them touch me or my stuff because I know their fingers are freshly nibbled and constantly germy.

13 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

You can make your own hand sanitizer.  It was the first thing I Googled when it became obvious that it was hard to find and that sellers were price-gouging.  Just mix 2/3 cup isopropyl alcohol (91% strength or stronger) with 1/3 cup aloe vera gel (so it's gentler on your hands, though you can use just plain alcohol).  You can add a few drops of some nice-smelling oil also, if you want.  In a pinch, you can use overproof booze, but the alcohol strength needs to be at least 80%.  If you have a clean, empty pump bottle, you can use that to dispense it.  Here's one article, but there are tons of recipes out there.

It's absolutely disgusting--and should be criminal--for people to be profiteering at a time like this.

And I heard on the radio the other day, that it's not safe to do this. and that it won't have the same effect as what Purell or other companies that make hand sanitizers make. It'll be gooey and other stuff.

Don't kill me. I'm just conveying what I heard after people went on social media letting all and sundry know one can make their own.

What peeves me is the misinformation that is being spread out. Or not the complete information with respect to touching your face. All I keep hearing on the stupid radio, is "don't touch your face" Like AT ALL. NO, that's not what the CDC is saying. They are saying, do not touch your face with unwashed hands, or if your hands have come into contact with contaminated surfaces. I even emailed the station about this, and yet, two days later, still the same: "don't touch your face...wear gloves...grab a stress ball when the urge to touch your face comes over you..." and other nonsense.

It's like washing your hands is some brand new-fangled action. I'm so sick of the fear-mongering.

• Love 9

And with regard to washing your hands, for the most part this advice is for when you have potentially come into contact with a contaminated surface.  You really don't need to be continually washing or purelling your hands in your own home!  I've got friends who are constantly washing their hands now.  First that's not going to make any difference if you would never have been infected in the first place but second you're going to have a lot of problems with irritated skin if you aren't careful.  I've got a fair few family members and friends who are in the nursing profession and they will be the first to tell you that constant handwashing and sanitizing does a real number on your hands!

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I heard on the radio the other day, that it's not safe to do this. and that it won't have the same effect as what Purell or other companies that make hand sanitizers make. It'll be gooey and other stuff.

It's safer than having nothing at all, if you can't get commercial hand sanitizer.  And it won't be gooey if you don't put anything gooey in with the alcohol.

• Love 2

I read three different articles yesterday on this and not one gave any reason for this not being safe other than that people may not get the alcohol ratio right. So, it sounds to me like what they meant to say (by way of alarmist hyperbole) is "possibly ineffective," which is very different than "unsafe." Also, it must depend on the aloe product; the one I use at home now is not gooey or sticky at all, but I used to have an after-sun gel that was unpleasantly so. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Beany Malone said:

You really don't need to be continually washing or purelling your hands in your own home! 

One of my best friends washes her hands more in a day than I do in a week.  I work from home and she's unemployed, so we both spend a lot of time in our own homes.  I tend not to wash my hands unless I got something on them, while she washes her hands after touching just about anything other than her cat.  Then she has to put lotion on them, because she washes them too often.  Her ex, with whom she lived for years, used to tell her, "Someday, I'm going to calculate what percentage of my life is spent waiting for you to finish your hand ritual."

• LOL 4
On 3/5/2020 at 1:19 PM, Sun-Bun said:

Sure, I get that parents deserve their time to relax and have a pint too, but why must the rest of us ChildFree folks be forced to endure their choices?! I don’t go hang out at the local Daycare, Chuck E Cheese or park playgrounds getting drunk, for chrissakes. Some places need to be ADULTS ONLY, period! Drinking around children is a major buzzkill and I really don’t understand folks who don’t get this; you wanna get buzzed with all your equally insufferable parent buddies and their litters, fine, please host backyard parties or hang at family friendly places, not the local winery or bar with the rest of us saner adults.

@Sun-Bun Exactly! I go to a Wine & Food Fest ever year, the venue has 5 or 6 narrow aisles with vendors on both sides, and the event is to taste wine and sample food. It becomes ridiculous trying to weave between huge strollers and little kids bobbing along side their parents. Not to mention parents with strollers completely blocking the stall with their strollers while they taste and talk with the vendor so no one else can get close. WTH? You can't get a sitter on a Saturday afternoon for a couple hours???? And there there was the kid that threw up after tasting a few too many pieces of cheese, good god....

On 3/5/2020 at 1:54 PM, Beany Malone said:

I had children but when I went out for an evening, especially one that was going to cost a few $$ the kiddies stayed home.  I was less than impressed if I was in a relatively high end restaurant especially later in the evening and there were kids running around the place.  Sure, definitely some kids behave better than others (just like some adults) but even so, time and place people, time and place!

Same here @Beany Malone! The point of an evening out was to not have to wipe faces and  butts! I think too many people think their spawn is sooo special that everyone one will understand and not be bothered. If you can't afford a sitter, you probably can't afford the event, and you certainly won't be able to afford the legal hassle when you get pulled over for a DUI with a child in the car....

• Love 5
On 2/13/2020 at 12:58 PM, emma675 said:

Ooooh, I hate it when people IM me at work with just "Hi, emma675" and nothing else. Don't just say hi over IM, freaking follow up with why you're messaging me in the first place.

This happened to me this morning complete with waving smiley face.  I immediately thought of this conversation.  I was in the middle of working on an escalation and kept waiting for the actual message.  After about 5 minutes I responded, Hello. The I get "quick question" and nothing.  I just kept working on what I was doing.  I shouldn't have to pull out of you what your question is.  A full 10 minutes later she finally asks the question.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, tiftgirl said:

This happened to me this morning complete with waving smiley face.  I immediately thought of this conversation.  I was in the middle of working on an escalation and kept waiting for the actual message.  After about 5 minutes I responded, Hello. The I get "quick question" and nothing.  I just kept working on what I was doing.  I shouldn't have to pull out of you what your question is.  A full 10 minutes later she finally asks the question.

That drives me crazy too. And it happens more frequently than we’d  think. The upside is 60% of the time if I don’t acknowledge the pleasantry the follow up question doesn’t come. I also hate “can I call you” with no details. 

My pet peeve is the new guy behind me at work who chews gum after lunch. I don’t chew gum so I won’t be good at describing what he’s doing but it involves snaps, gross noises, movement sounds  and makes me want to vomit and irrationally angry. 

I put my earbuds in but I’m the odd one who when I’m really focused I prefer no podcast or music so I resent having to put them in to stop my gag reflex. 

• Love 1
(edited)

My pet peeve is the new guy behind me at work who chews gum after lunch. I don’t chew gum so I won’t be good at describing what he’s doing but it involves snaps, gross noises, movement sounds  and makes me want to vomit and irrationally angry. 

So, so, SO with you. Gum is disgusting enough on its own and the wet sounds just make me want to die. Or kill.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, emma675 said:

I've never wanted to touch my face so much in my life until the news started telling me not to. 

Local news showed an experiment tonight with some Georgetown students. They filmed them for a while and sure enough, even though they knew not to touch their face, they still did. A doctor was interviewed & she said there are many nerve endings in the face. That causes sensitivity & so we itch, or feel "something" on our face and need to brush it away, etc. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, emma675 said:

I've never wanted to touch my face so much in my life until the news started telling me not to. 

Me, too. It's driving me crazy. And my husband has the flu, so I've been washing my hands a lot at home.

2 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I also hate “can I call you” with no details.

That makes me want to answer the same way my third-grade teacher used to answer "can I" questions. When a student would ask, "Can I go to the bathroom?" she'd always say, "I don't know. Can you?"

• Love 2

So I have another pet peeve. 

My weight fluctuates and I’m over my fighting weight right now. 

We have a gym onsite at work which I have recently taken advantage of. I’ve realized how out of shape I am but have been attending the noon classes and loving it. Yesterday I was told it would be stretching class bc so many were doing a marathon. I decided I’d just do the treadmill. 

I walked at what was to my out of shape butt a high speed on the treadmill for 40 minutes. Then I hit the cool down button which drastically decreased it to slow speed. I overheard one of the marathoners say “what is she doing- one mile per hour?”

Im 40 so it didn’t sting but I wish he had not said it.   I don’t love how I look right now and  am actively doing something about it. That comment wasn’t necessary or helpful. I’ll keep going but I’m not sure I would have at 25. So let’s just fuck off with overtly loud comments.

• Love 20
58 minutes ago, KnoxForPres said:

Then I hit the cool down button which drastically decreased it to slow speed. I overheard one of the marathoners say “what is she doing- one mile per hour?”

I hate them and I hate their ass faces! It would have been nice to just turn and say "Ever heard of cool-down genius???" But who wants to start a whole "thing" with people you will see at the gym again and again?

It makes me angry because for some people doing one mile an hour for a workout actually could be a big accomplishment for them. And that kind of comment would make them feel like it wasn't. People need to remember they don't know another person's life, issues or abilities and keep their big traps shut!

• Love 17

People who are just at the gym period should be applauded and not the subject of snotty comments by assholes. It's so hard to get motivated and actually make the effort, so you should be proud of yourself!

• Love 16
1 hour ago, KnoxForPres said:

I walked at what was to my out of shape butt a high speed on the treadmill for 40 minutes. Then I hit the cool down button which drastically decreased it to slow speed. I overheard one of the marathoners say “what is she doing- one mile per hour?”

I've never understood why people think you want commentary on your activities.  I was at the pool, and I was just leisurely swimming around in rectangles. I was the only one in the pool at the moment and some guy came in and said something like "good thing you're not in a race."  I think I actually said "When I want your opinion I'll ask for it."  

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

It makes me angry because for some people doing one mile an hour for a workout actually could be a big accomplishment for them. And that kind of comment would make them feel like it wasn't. People need to remember they don't know another person's life, issues or abilities and keep their big traps shut!

That's one reason I like to go to our hospital's rehab gym (which is open to anyone). I go to the unmanned 24-hour one. It's not full of stereotypical gym people, particularly when I go on my lunch hour. It's mostly older people, and they are mostly very nice. The only problem I've run into is that occasionally there's someone who doesn't understand that you need a phone (or other device) and headphones to listen to what's on the TV and will just turn up the sound on the TV. Or the person will borrow one of the devices available there to use and not have any headphones and will turn up the sound on the device. I get not having headphones once because you didn't know, but after that you should have some. (Also, there is closed captioning.)

• Love 1

Dear Sir or Madam behind me at the drugstore:

I’ll be done in just a couple of minutes there is no fucking need for you to put your items on the counter!  Some ass plunked their junk food on the counter as I was paying for my stuff and I used my ample hip to push her to the side, which of course had one of her pies falling to the floor.  Bitch was so close to me she likely knew the color of my draws!

I hate that shit.

• LOL 7

@Yogisbooboo64 I had a woman start putting her items on the belt BEFORE I was finished loading mine at the grocery store! I turned to look at her and she smiled  and said "sorry, I thought you were finished." I pointed to my still pretty full grocery cart and said "No, no I'm not." She grabbed her stuff and huffed off to another line. Seriously, what is wrong with people?

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

I had a woman start putting her items on the belt BEFORE I was finished loading mine at the grocery store! I turned to look at her and she smiled  and said "sorry, I thought you were finished." I pointed to my still pretty full grocery cart and said "No, no I'm not."

Did what was still in the cart consist of large items she might have thought you'd just leave in the cart to be scanned with the handheld device rather than putting on the belt?  If yes, of course she still should have waited until you put the little divider down or at least until you stopped unloading your cart; I'm just trying to figure out how on earth one could even arrive at "I thought you were finished" when the cart is still pretty full.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, BexKeps said:

@Yogisbooboo64 I had a woman start putting her items on the belt BEFORE I was finished loading mine at the grocery store! I turned to look at her and she smiled  and said "sorry, I thought you were finished." I pointed to my still pretty full grocery cart and said "No, no I'm not." She grabbed her stuff and huffed off to another line. Seriously, what is wrong with people?

That's really annoying, especially if you are clearly in the process of moving items from the cart to the belt. On the other hand, the other day, my choice in the self-check lines was the one that wasn't working (it was probably user error) or the two in which the people checking out were not bothering with the conveyance belts, but pulling items out of their full carts one at a time to scan and bag them. I wanted to tell them that if they wanted to do that, they could go to the self-check area that doesn't have belts.

• Love 2

@Bastet my basket still had a number of small items, it was a few years ago so I can't say exactly what but it was obvious I would need to put them on the belt. I was shocked when she did it, and to top it off I was in a regular line and she only had a few items so I didn't know why she hadn't gone to an express lane. 

16 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't understand why hand-sanitizer has an expiration date.

Apparently, the alcohol eventually evaporates, lowering the alcohol content below 60 percent. It won't hurt you, but it won't be as effective either.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, auntlada said:

That's really annoying, especially if you are clearly in the process of moving items from the cart to the belt. On the other hand, the other day, my choice in the self-check lines was the one that wasn't working (it was probably user error) or the two in which the people checking out were not bothering with the conveyance belts, but pulling items out of their full carts one at a time to scan and bag them. I wanted to tell them that if they wanted to do that, they could go to the self-check area that doesn't have belts.

I'm right there with most of the recent checkout peeves, but this one honestly has me confused.  Wouldn't it actually be slightly faster to pick up item from cart-scan-bag, rather than pick up each item and place on belt-scan each one-bag?  How does putting things on the belt first help?  Maybe there's some kind of setup I'm not familiar with.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm right there with most of the recent checkout peeves, but this one honestly has me confused.  Wouldn't it actually be slightly faster to pick up item from cart-scan-bag, rather than pick up each item and place on belt-scan each one-bag?  How does putting things on the belt first help?  Maybe there's some kind of setup I'm not familiar with.

It allows the person behind you to start putting stuff on the belt if you put all your stuff there and put up the bar to divide the items. And you can put your filled bags back into your cart without getting stuff mixed up.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, auntlada said:

It allows the person behind you to start putting stuff on the belt if you put all your stuff there and put up the bar to divide the items. And you can put your filled bags back into your cart without getting stuff mixed up.

Oh, I can see that.  Around here, I haven't seen self checkouts set up to deal with that big of shopping trip.  And if you dare try to take a bag and put it in your cart before you've paid, it sets off major alarms.  ITEM HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM BAGGING AREA!!!  RETURN ITEM TO BAGGING AREA!!! (you thief!).  But that's a separate peeve I don't want to get into at the moment.

• LOL 3

Not sure if this is a pet peeve or not but it's annoying the hell out of me. Our local oldies radio channel spent the morning of International Women's Day playing songs by female singers.  Big whoop, right?  Not for some.  Guys (and some women too sadly) complained that they never have time set aside just to play songs by guys so major double standard.  Sweet jesus. Seriously?

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Beany Malone said:

Not sure if this is a pet peeve or not but it's annoying the hell out of me. Our local oldies radio channel spent the morning of International Women's Day playing songs by female singers.  Big whoop, right?  Not for some.  Guys (and some women too sadly) complained that they never have time set aside just to play songs by guys so major double standard.  Sweet jesus. Seriously?

Cannot roll my eyes enough at those complaints. Some people are so dumb. 

• Love 4

So how is it that I am coming down with a cold when I have been washing my hands and using hand sanitizer religiously since my county now has 5 cases of covid-19 (thank you so much, cruise industry)? My anxiety-riddled self cannot handle the thought of being sick right now.