Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

Recommended Posts


How did I miss @bilgistic's news?! Congratulations! While it's not idea I hope it's better for you than your current job!

--

Made it back from Costco unscathed. People were stalking spots, but thankfully the aisles are wide enough that cars can go around. My Costco peeve is people who can't navigate that gas line. It's not tandem in & out. If you happen to be done at the same time as the person in front of you, great, otherwise use the wide-ass aisle and pull out so the car behind you can start pumping. On that note, people who don't park close to the pump which prevents other cars from using the aforementioned wide-ass aisle. The pumping lanes are wide enough that you don't have to hug the pump but there is no reason to stop your car in the wide-ass aisle! There's even a line for guidance!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

There's even a line for guidance!

See, that's where I can't take it.  Dumb and/or thoughtless?  That happens all the time.

Can't keep your car between the lines? What the hell is wrong with you?

cars fail GIF

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My Costco peeve is people who can't navigate that gas line. It's not tandem in & out. If you happen to be done at the same time as the person in front of you, great, otherwise use the wide-ass aisle and pull out so the car behind you can start pumping. On that note, people who don't park close to the pump which prevents other cars from using the aforementioned wide-ass aisle. The pumping lanes are wide enough that you don't have to hug the pump but there is no reason to stop your car in the wide-ass aisle! There's even a line for guidance!

I'll add a third: At "my" Costco, the gas station has three pumps in each aisle, and there is an electronic sign at the entrance to the aisle showing either open or occupied for each of those three pumps (in case you can't see around/over a big-ass vehicle) AND each aisle has ample room so that if the middle one opens up while the front and rear ones are occupied, you can pull into it without needing to parallel park.  And yet.  Half the time when the middle one opens up, the Costco employee has to come over and direct the person at the front of the line to get their ass into that slot rather than sitting there waiting to be able to just pull straight into the last one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

See, that's where I can't take it.  Dumb and/or thoughtless?  That happens all the time.

Can't keep your car between the lines? What the hell is wrong with you?

cars fail GIF

You know what that looks like to me?

One car decided to do the I'm going to use two spots so none of you scratch my precious and another driver said $#@% that, and parked as if that car was in a single spot and then others followed that lead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

You know what that looks like to me?

One car decided to do the I'm going to use two spots so none of you scratch my precious and another driver said $#@% that, and parked as if that car was in a single spot and then others followed that lead.

Yeah, that was pretty obviously a domino effect.  Either that  or the local water supply was poisoned with bad parking virus.

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Someone tailgating me? I turn on my blinking hazard lights and keep my speed. Took another driver half a minute to figure out if I'm going to stop in the middle of all that traffic.

My current pet peeve has to do with Primetimer. I usually get a digest of the shows I follow in the evening. And then I get an identical digest. And then... one day there were SIX copies of the same digest. I'm down to two at the moment, but I have no clue how I managed that.

Edited by IrishPirate
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Walgreens drives me to drink. They bought out Rite Aid, which I loved--well, my local store, which had pharmacists and techs who knew me and who had sense. After the buyout, my local store was closed rather than converted to a Walgreens like most of the rest of them were. I go to a Walgreens that is near me in the opposite direction (the "seamless" transition of my meds was a nightmare), but they and Walgreens as a whole are the absolute worst.

I often have meds "on file" that my psych doc has sent in early (before insurance will pay for them/before I need refills) because I see her every month to two months for med checks. I'll go to refill one of those meds through the Walgreens website and then go to pick it up after a day or so. It won't be there because, as they told me, "the site doesn't recognize refills on meds that are on file". What? The med is listed on my profile online and I can tell the site to refill it, but it doesn't tell the store to refill it? OK? So, the online refill portal is useless for half my medication regimen? (The tech suggested I call Walgreens customer service and complain. Sure.) OK, so I started calling in my refills. Giant, heaving sigh, because apparently the pharmacists and techs don't check in the system first to see if I have existing meds on file before they put in a call to my doctor! I never had this issue with Rite Aid.

And when I go to pick up my meds, there's always only one tech and one pharmacist working. That was fine at the much smaller Rite Aid that was in a different area and had a smaller customer base. This Walgreens is in a major shopping center that sits smack in the middle of an enormous residential and business area. There's always a wait. The pharmacist almost never waits on a customer, again, unlike Rite Aid, where I knew the pharmacist. And yeah, I get that the Walgreens pharmacist is probably swamped since there's no one but her and a tech on for a bajillion customers, so there's no good solution other than, you know, having more people working.

The air conditioning was out for several weeks in the store this summer. A giant company that just bought out another company can't immediately fix the AC in a busy store in the middle of summer in NC?

Oddly, there's no CVS or other drugstore near me or I would switch. There are some inside of grocery stores near me, but they tend to have much shorter hours. The one good thing about Walgreens is their hours.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Walgreens drives me to drink. They bought out Rite Aid, which I loved--well, my local store, which had pharmacists and techs who knew me and who had sense. After the buyout, my local store was closed rather than converted to a Walgreens like most of the rest of them were. I go to a Walgreens that is near me in the opposite direction (the "seamless" transition of my meds was a nightmare), but they and Walgreens as a whole are the absolute worst.

I often have meds "on file" that my psych doc has sent in early (before insurance will pay for them/before I need refills) because I see her every month to two months for med checks. I'll go to refill one of those meds through the Walgreens website and then go to pick it up after a day or so. It won't be there because, as they told me, "the site doesn't recognize refills on meds that are on file". What? The med is listed on my profile online and I can tell the site to refill it, but it doesn't tell the store to refill it? OK? So, the online refill portal is useless for half my medication regimen? (The tech suggested I call Walgreens customer service and complain. Sure.) OK, so I started calling in my refills. Giant, heaving sigh, because apparently the pharmacists and techs don't check in the system first to see if I have existing meds on file before they put in a call to my doctor! I never had this issue with Rite Aid.

And when I go to pick up my meds, there's always only one tech and one pharmacist working. That was fine at the much smaller Rite Aid that was in a different area and had a smaller customer base. This Walgreens is in a major shopping center that sits smack in the middle of an enormous residential and business area. There's always a wait. The pharmacist almost never waits on a customer, again, unlike Rite Aid, where I knew the pharmacist. And yeah, I get that the Walgreens pharmacist is probably swamped since there's no one but her and a tech on for a bajillion customers, so there's no good solution other than, you know, having more people working.

The air conditioning was out for several weeks in the store this summer. A giant company that just bought out another company can't immediately fix the AC in a busy store in the middle of summer in NC?

Oddly, there's no CVS or other drugstore near me or I would switch. There are some inside of grocery stores near me, but they tend to have much shorter hours. The one good thing about Walgreens is their hours.

Have your doc send your scripts to CVS online. That's what I did and now they mail me all my meds. They take even my crappy insurance and I never have to sit around at the pharmacy again.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Right now, panic buyers and the corresponding sellers who engage in price gouging are a major peeve. My DIL is from Hong Kong, and still has some immediate family members there, including her mother who is not in the best of health. I'm not sure what the authorities are telling people in Hong Kong about precautions for coronavirus, but my DIL's family there ordered some surgical masks. Unfortunately, the ones they received were manufactured in mainland China and showed unmistakable signs of having been previously used and just put into new packaging. My DIL and son assumed they could buy some here in San Antonio and ship them to Hong Kong, but that's been a major challenge. Several of the stores they have gone to have been completely sold out, and the sales clerks have told them that in many cases, one or two individuals have come in and bought up several cases of the surgical masks at once, so there's no stock left. WTF? Yes, admittedly here in San Antonio, in fact less than 5 miles from my house, we have some US citizens who were airlifted from Wuhan and I believe, now some additional people who were airlifted from one of the cruise ships. To date, there is one confirmed case of coronavirus here in SA, and that person is hospitalized in quarantine conditions; the refugees who are still waiting out the quarantine are in confined quarters at the air force base. Here, as with other places, the general public is in more danger from just  normal flu than from this virus, yet obviously there are people doing panic buying of surgical masks and other items.

As for the price gouging, I looked online for surgical masks about a week ago, and many online sources are sold out, but the ones who are not are often charging outrageous prices. I realize there's a shortage because the US tends to import these items from China, and apparently the US government didn't listen to the sole manufacturer in TX who's been telling them for years that if a pandemic occurs, his company doesn't have the capacity to meet the demand that would occur. 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 2/13/2020 at 7:43 PM, Bastet said:

I don't call anyone back who doesn't leave a message.  If it's just a missed call, I figure they decided to send me an email instead, or it was something that was only relevant if I was free to talk right then, so it's now moot.  When someone leaves me a message, I know what they need to talk to me about, and can thus prioritize my return calls.

I have no idea.  The TL;dr crowd is so averse to spending more than three seconds of their precious time on any one thing that a sentence consisting of complete words is anathema?

What's TL;dr?

On 2/15/2020 at 4:17 PM, Bastet said:

Random peeve of the day:  Hearing drawer pronounced as "draw" barely even registers with me anymore, since I've heard people from a few different areas say it that way over the years, but seeing it written that way annoys me.

Can I ask how you pronounce "drawer"?

On 2/19/2020 at 10:36 AM, Bastet said:

Yes, please.  Do not browse your radio presets, check Facebook to see what your friends had for lunch, put on more lipstick, etc.  When someone is waiting, get a move on, and do the rest while driving/when you get to your next stop.

I hate this too, but please don't do it while driving.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

What's TL;dr?

Too long; didn't read.

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Can I ask how you pronounce "drawer"?

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, auntlada said:

If you listen to that enough, it starts to sound really weird.

It's a weird word; it looks like it would simply be pronounced draw-er, and it would be to describe one who draws (although who ever says that - we just say artist) rather than the thing that slides out of a piece of furniture, but somehow it not only muddles into one syllable, the vowel sound morphs, too.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

As for the price gouging, I looked online for surgical masks about a week ago, and many online sources are sold out, but the ones who are not are often charging outrageous prices. I realize there's a shortage because the US tends to import these items from China, and apparently the US government didn't listen to the sole manufacturer in TX who's been telling them for years that if a pandemic occurs, his company doesn't have the capacity to meet the demand that would occur. 

Just out of curiosity, what should the masks reasonably cost? I've never bought any.

4 hours ago, Brookside said:

What's TL;dr?

Too Long; Didn't Read

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

My DIL and son assumed they could buy some here in San Antonio and ship them to Hong Kong, but that's been a major challenge. Several of the stores they have gone to have been completely sold out, and the sales clerks have told them that in many cases, one or two individuals have come in and bought up several cases of the surgical masks at once, so there's no stock left. WTF?

FWIW, my company (and our direct competitors) have stopped selling N95 and similar masks to anyone who isn't an established customer with a history of ordering these masks. We (and our competitors) cut off sales to the public several weeks ago and cancelled all public orders trying to ship overseas. At this stage I would be very wary of any third party re-seller, price-gouging aside.

And FWIW, the N95 mask won't provide more protection than a basic surgical mask.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, auntlada said:

If you listen to that enough, it starts to sound really weird.

If you listen long enough, or even just once, it sounds the same as "draw".  Still not getting any difference.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Brookside said:

If you listen long enough, or even just once, it sounds the same as "draw". 

They're not pronounced the same in most of the U.S.  I can't manage to create a direct link, but this brings you to a Google results page for "how to pronounce draw"; if you click on the little microphone link next to the phonetic spelling of draa, you'll hear how "draw" is pronounced, which is different from how "drawer" is pronounced in most of the country.  (In my experience, and confirmed by some internet sleuthing, "drawer" pronounced as "draw" occurs in parts of NJ, parts of New England, and parts of the South.)

And, to reiterate, I take no issue with the regional pronunciation, just with spelling "drawer" as "draw".  Nowhere is that correct.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I feel bad bc I love him so much but my pet peeve right now is a loud snorer.  He sounds like he’s doing a sound check for something in Jurassic Park!   If I can beat him to sleep I’m fine (shout out to Costco melatonin) but that was not the case tonight so I’m on a couch and sending this message!

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I feel bad bc I love him so much but my pet peeve right now is a loud snorer.  He sounds like he’s doing a sound check for something in Jurassic Park!   If I can beat him to sleep I’m fine (shout out to Costco melatonin) but that was not the case tonight so I’m on a couch and sending this message!

My ex-husband was a chronic, loud snorer but denied it even after our kids recorded him on their Fisher Price toy.  I started sleeping in the spare room but he was so loud I could still hear him.  Somehow his doctor managed to persuade him to do a sleep study and he was diagnosed with sleep apnea and prescribed a CPAP breathing machine (which made it seem as though I was sleeping next to Darth Vader).  Naturally, my (certified) narcissistic ex never acknowledged that our kids and I had had a point.  Yeah, still bitter. 

Edited by Brookside
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/15/2020 at 8:40 AM, Katy M said:

so, if a family member is mugged and their phone gets stolen and they call, they don't have a prayer of actually getting in touch with you because you won't answer the unrecognized number no matter how many times they call, and they have no way to leave you a message?  Same thing if a hospital tries to get in touch with you? Doesn't seem like a great system, but I guess if it's working. 

I can attest that this situation has happened to me—normally I’m on Team LeaveMeAVoicemailOrImNotCallingYouBack, but I was involved in a horrible car accident several months ago(I walked away with just a few bruises) and my phone was smashed up along with my car. So I was literally begging paramedics and the other party who hit me to use their phones, and calling the only two phone numbers I knew by heart: my husband and my mother. After repeatedly calling my husband from that random phone, like literally about 5 times in a row for a good ten minutes or so, he finally picked up with a huffy, “Who the Hell is this?!!” Thank god he did, and he felt awful about his usual stance on ignoring random unknown calls, in retrospect. Emergency calls do happen, we all have to remember.

Persistence paid off in this case, but it made me rethink my former stance on answering repeated calls from unknown numbers a bit(although I’m not afraid to leave voicemails and always do!)—such a damned shame that robocalls and sales calls/scams/political ads have forced us to be leery about answering random phone numbers though.


 

Current pet peeve I’m dealing with: entitled assholes in my condo community who don’t seem to understand what RESERVED parking means. My assigned spot was an extra $5k when we bought into the building, so naturally I’m extra possessive of it. Nice spot, yet there’s still PLENTY of parking available throughout the parking garage for those who didn’t buy in, along with their guests.

I’ve only had several folks park in my spot in the past, to which I left a polite note to please move or I’d have to have them towed. After that, it wasn’t a problem and they’d always be gone by the time I checked back.
Cut to the other night around 9pm, someone is parked in my spot. Never mind the painted RESERVED word going across it and the RESERVED sign in front of it. I leave my usual note and figure they’ll be gone by the next morning, at least. So I leave for work around 7:30am, they’re still parked there. Then I get home from work over 8 hours later, they’re *still* parked there with my note still attached. Nearly 24 hours parked in someone’s Reserved spot?! Oh now that’s some kinda nerve/entitlement—for the first time ever, I called a tow-truck on someone. Then posted it on our building’s Facebook page to remind folks to please understand building rules and the consequences of breaking them.

Now I’m scared of retaliation because several hours later someone pulled a fire alarm in our building and several neighbors blamed me for putting the towing “victim” on blast and said to expect my car getting keyed/tampered with...um hello?! Why am *I* in the wrong here? Is this the world we live in now?? I suppose everyone should just park where they want around here with no repercussions?! Hey, let’s all just park in those coveted handicapped spots and the fire lanes there, while we’re at it!!

Ugh. I just really hate people sometimes.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

Now I’m scared of retaliation because several hours later someone pulled a fire alarm in our building and several neighbors blamed me for putting the towing “victim” on blast and said to expect my car getting keyed/tampered with...um hello?! Why am *I* in the wrong here? Is this the world we live in now?? I suppose everyone should just park where they want around here with no repercussions?! Hey, let’s all just park in those coveted handicapped spots and the fire lanes there, while we’re at it!!

Not that I think I would have done it in days of yore either, but I would be really shaky on pulling a fire alarm nowadays (unless, of course, actual fire), because there are security cameras everywhere and last I checked that is a crime.

but, no.  You did nothing wrong.  If you paid to buy a parking spot, you obviously didn't do it with the intent of others parking there instead of you.  By your description it sounds like it's well marked that it's reserved and since this person was driving, we should be able to assume that they are not blind and that they can read simple signs.  If it was just known that spots 1-10, for example, are reserved spots, a visitor came to spend the night and host didn't think to ask where they parked I would have more sympathy for the towee.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

24 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

Thank god he did, and he felt awful about his usual stance on ignoring random unknown calls, in retrospect. Emergency calls do happen, we all have to remember.

On my home and office phones, I hear a message as it's being left, so all anyone calling from someone else's phone would have to do is start leaving a message and I'd pick up if it's important (that's happened a few times).  The cell phone is different, but I hardly ever use that and not many people have the number.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

On my home and office phones, I hear a message as it's being left, so all anyone calling from someone else's phone would have to do is start leaving a message and I'd pick up if it's important (that's happened a few times).  The cell phone is different, but I hardly ever use that and not many people have the number.

 

That's what we do with our landline--listen to the msg and pick up as fast as we can. The robo jerks never leave a msg. When the heck is Congress going to DO something about these harassing calls? I feel sorry for people who don't have voice mail.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

If I can beat him to sleep I’m fine

I had to read that twice before I realized you meant "get to sleep before he does" rather than "beat him until he is asleep".

😝

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 18

Share this post


Link to post

Warning:  Ethnic issues related

Mainstream media (at least in Toronto) don't seem to quite GET that most Chinese restaurants and stores around here who are losing business right now have a MAJORITY Chinese/Asian clientele.  So stop blaming racism without acknowledging the "typical" clientele.  Is this just sensationalism?

Another pet peeve (and more TV related):  I belong to a Facebook group that caters to fans of a certain Tuesday night drama with what COULD be a confusing storyline to casual viewers.  These so-called "fans" always ask the same questions over and over, even ones which were recently posted.  And fans, REAL fans of this specific show shouldn't be confused.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

At the moment, this is a work peeve, but it really can be applied to everyone/everything:

Please do not tell me that you need my help with something super urgent and then leave me hanging for 20 minutes (and counting) waiting for it to come my way.

Edited by TattleTeeny · Reason: Now 33 minutes!
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

People who post on food related sites and feel compelled to include photos of unappetizing home-made dishes that all too often resemble vomit/dog food.

image.png.fd556a3e8e748a6996a61ce0f8559b3d.png

Edited by Brookside
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

People who post on food related sites and feel compelled to include photos of unappetizing home-made dishes that all too often resemble vomit/dog food.

image.png.fd556a3e8e748a6996a61ce0f8559b3d.png

Blargh.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, emma675 said:

What was it? Yuck.

It looks like beef stroganoff made with ground beef and broccoli. But I can’t determine what is around 1 o’ clock on the plate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

17 minutes ago, KnoxForPres said:

It looks like beef stroganoff made with ground beef and broccoli. But I can’t determine what is around 1 o’ clock on the plate. 

Overcooked zucchini.

  • Useful 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I understand that people with small children have every right to eat out in restaurants. I understand that small children sometimes need to be entertained while waiting in said restaurants. And I understand that in the current century, frequently the form of said entertainment will be either the parents' smartphone or tablet. I do not in general object to any of the above.

But OMG this MUST involve headphones or earbuds on the device if the child's entertainment from the device requires it make sound. Under no circumstances should anyone, of any age, play videos at full volume in a public space without headphones. That thing is playing for you, put on fucking headphones. It's playing for your kid? Put him in fucking headphones. Forgot to bring headphones? Sorry, no device for your right now.

And if you own or run or manage a restaurant, tell that damn table they must use headphones or mute the damn device. Do not wait for people five tables over to ask you to ask them to turn it down. Have your staff's backs when they ask said people to turn it down or turn it off or use headphones. Do not make the rest of us listen to the competing sounds of Wheels On The Bus against the pop channel your establishment's speakers are streaming into the dining room.

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I understand that people with small children have every right to eat out in restaurants. I understand that small children sometimes need to be entertained while waiting in said restaurants.

I'll add to this part. If it isn't a "family friendly" restaurant, don't bring your kids to it. If you can afford to pay $60.00 an entree, you can afford a friggin' babysitter. I don't want to pay $60.00 an entree and get the "pleasure" of listening to your kid banging their cup on the table & talking in their outside voice all through my meal.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

And, don't place your newborn, in his/her carrier, on the table (next to mine). I'm trying to enjoy my meal & don't want to hear or smell the little darlin' doing his/her duty.

  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

I can't find my umbrella. It lives in my car unless I'm using it to go somewhere and it's no longer in my car, or in my closet, or in my garage, or in my office and it's pouring rain today. I am super annoyed. I have other umbrellas at home, I just love the one I can't find.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh my goodness, those dumb damn small socks that are intended for wearing invisibly with ballet flats! I bought them to help fill a bit of extra space in my somewhat-too-big shoes.* They suck a ball! In fact, they are each IN a ball right now, as I gave up actually wearing them on my feet and just stuffed them right up into the pointy toe part!

*My feet seem to be a little bigger than 5.5, so I often have to go for a 6, which is OK for boots and anything I can wear fat socks with. It is not OK for this kind of flats!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/29/2020 at 3:30 PM, Brookside said:

People who post on food related sites and feel compelled to include photos of unappetizing home-made dishes that all too often resemble vomit/dog food.

image.png.fd556a3e8e748a6996a61ce0f8559b3d.png

It makes me laugh so hard (and kind of meanly, I admit) when people do this, but the fun for me is more when the presentation is just bad and/or the food is really, really ordinary. Like, I get if it you, say, tried a recipe and it did not come out like the recipe's image and you think it's funny or informative to share. Or maybe if you're a new cook and your friends are interested in your progress. But generally, "A slice of meatloaf and a plain baked potato!!!" is not post-worthy and that's what makes me laugh.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

It makes me laugh so hard (and kind of meanly, I admit) when people do this, but the fun for me is more when the presentation is just bad and/or the food is really, really ordinary. Like, I get if it you, say, tried a recipe and it did not come out like the recipe's image and you think it's funny or informative to share. Or maybe if you're a new cook and your friends are interested in your progress. But generally, "A slice of meatloaf and a plain baked potato!!!" is not post-worthy and that's what makes me laugh.

I hate it even more when people post pictures of their restaurant food.  My sister will post a pciture of her clam platter if she goes to Friendly's.  I'm always like, really?  Why?

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I hate it even more when people post pictures of their restaurant food.  My sister will post a pciture of her clam platter if she goes to Friendly's.  I'm always like, really?  Why?

THAT is exactly the type of thing that would make me laugh all night.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/29/2020 at 3:30 PM, Brookside said:

People who post on food related sites and feel compelled to include photos of unappetizing home-made dishes that all too often resemble vomit/dog food.

image.png.fd556a3e8e748a6996a61ce0f8559b3d.png

omg yes, a thousand times! I have a friend who sells for MLM seasoning company, one time she posted a pic that literally looked like someone threw up on the plate! I had to hide the post so I didn't keep gagging as I scrolled! 

48 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my goodness, those dumb damn small socks that are intended for wearing invisibly with ballet flats! I bought them to help fill a bit of extra space in my somewhat-too-big shoes.* They suck a ball! In fact, they are each IN a ball right now, as I gave up actually wearing them on my feet and just stuffed them right up into the pointy toe part

Thank god its not just me this happens to!! My daughter uses them and they're fine, we have the same size feet!!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I understand that people with small children have every right to eat out in restaurants. I understand that small children sometimes need to be entertained while waiting in said restaurants. And I understand that in the current century, frequently the form of said entertainment will be either the parents' smartphone or tablet. I do not in general object to any of the above.

I do not understand though, especially when the restaurant is a brewery, or the time of the visit to the restaurant is after 8:00pm. And what's wrong with books? Or, since you're there as a family, having the parents entertain the little ones? If you don't want to be bothered, THEN LEAVE THEM HOME WITH A SITTER! Gah! I once went with another couple to a brewery that served food, with a 7:30pm reservation on a Saturday evening. The table next to us had 6 adults and at least 3-4 children (prob 6-8 year range) who were seated shortly after us. Those children spent most of the evening running around the table, interferring with the wait staff and being loud and disruptive. At least twice my chair was bumped by a child playing 'tag' around their table. None of the adults paid attention.  I was not the only customer who was bothered either. 

I don't want to turn this into "back in my day", I've seen very well-behaved kids and parents who pay attention at many adult-type restaurants and breweries, it just seems that those types are way outnumbered by the bad ones. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I've been known to say something directly to the kid [in a kind, friendly tone] if they are disrupting me "hey there, be careful, you might trip someone" or "hey sweetie, be careful, you keep bumping into our chairs". If the parents say something back to me I will come back with "Oh, I didn't realize these kids had adult supervision, please keep them our of our space" because I'm an asshole.

Kids will be kids and are not known for their great decision making skills, especially when they aren't being reinforced by a known adult.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

I like that @theredhead77, I will use that in the future! The wait staff spoke to the children a couple times, and the parents did the "Susy, come sit down!" and then 2 minutes later Suzy was up running around the table again.

When my children were small we did not go out a lot, money was tight and we couldn't afford a sitter AND a dinner out, so unless my parents were available we stayed home. Besides, if we did go out, it was to have adult time and not have to entertain the little ones. That doesn't seem to be a mindset these days....

Edited by BexKeps
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size