Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, auntlada said:

If you listen to that enough, it starts to sound really weird.

It's a weird word; it looks like it would simply be pronounced draw-er, and it would be to describe one who draws (although who ever says that - we just say artist) rather than the thing that slides out of a piece of furniture, but somehow it not only muddles into one syllable, the vowel sound morphs, too.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

As for the price gouging, I looked online for surgical masks about a week ago, and many online sources are sold out, but the ones who are not are often charging outrageous prices. I realize there's a shortage because the US tends to import these items from China, and apparently the US government didn't listen to the sole manufacturer in TX who's been telling them for years that if a pandemic occurs, his company doesn't have the capacity to meet the demand that would occur. 

Just out of curiosity, what should the masks reasonably cost? I've never bought any.

4 hours ago, Brookside said:

What's TL;dr?

Too Long; Didn't Read

6 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

My DIL and son assumed they could buy some here in San Antonio and ship them to Hong Kong, but that's been a major challenge. Several of the stores they have gone to have been completely sold out, and the sales clerks have told them that in many cases, one or two individuals have come in and bought up several cases of the surgical masks at once, so there's no stock left. WTF?

FWIW, my company (and our direct competitors) have stopped selling N95 and similar masks to anyone who isn't an established customer with a history of ordering these masks. We (and our competitors) cut off sales to the public several weeks ago and cancelled all public orders trying to ship overseas. At this stage I would be very wary of any third party re-seller, price-gouging aside.

And FWIW, the N95 mask won't provide more protection than a basic surgical mask.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Brookside said:

If you listen long enough, or even just once, it sounds the same as "draw". 

They're not pronounced the same in most of the U.S.  I can't manage to create a direct link, but this brings you to a Google results page for "how to pronounce draw"; if you click on the little microphone link next to the phonetic spelling of draa, you'll hear how "draw" is pronounced, which is different from how "drawer" is pronounced in most of the country.  (In my experience, and confirmed by some internet sleuthing, "drawer" pronounced as "draw" occurs in parts of NJ, parts of New England, and parts of the South.)

And, to reiterate, I take no issue with the regional pronunciation, just with spelling "drawer" as "draw".  Nowhere is that correct.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I feel bad bc I love him so much but my pet peeve right now is a loud snorer.  He sounds like he’s doing a sound check for something in Jurassic Park!   If I can beat him to sleep I’m fine (shout out to Costco melatonin) but that was not the case tonight so I’m on a couch and sending this message!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I feel bad bc I love him so much but my pet peeve right now is a loud snorer.  He sounds like he’s doing a sound check for something in Jurassic Park!   If I can beat him to sleep I’m fine (shout out to Costco melatonin) but that was not the case tonight so I’m on a couch and sending this message!

My ex-husband was a chronic, loud snorer but denied it even after our kids recorded him on their Fisher Price toy.  I started sleeping in the spare room but he was so loud I could still hear him.  Somehow his doctor managed to persuade him to do a sleep study and he was diagnosed with sleep apnea and prescribed a CPAP breathing machine (which made it seem as though I was sleeping next to Darth Vader).  Naturally, my (certified) narcissistic ex never acknowledged that our kids and I had had a point.  Yeah, still bitter. 

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 6
On 2/15/2020 at 8:40 AM, Katy M said:

so, if a family member is mugged and their phone gets stolen and they call, they don't have a prayer of actually getting in touch with you because you won't answer the unrecognized number no matter how many times they call, and they have no way to leave you a message?  Same thing if a hospital tries to get in touch with you? Doesn't seem like a great system, but I guess if it's working. 

I can attest that this situation has happened to me—normally I’m on Team LeaveMeAVoicemailOrImNotCallingYouBack, but I was involved in a horrible car accident several months ago(I walked away with just a few bruises) and my phone was smashed up along with my car. So I was literally begging paramedics and the other party who hit me to use their phones, and calling the only two phone numbers I knew by heart: my husband and my mother. After repeatedly calling my husband from that random phone, like literally about 5 times in a row for a good ten minutes or so, he finally picked up with a huffy, “Who the Hell is this?!!” Thank god he did, and he felt awful about his usual stance on ignoring random unknown calls, in retrospect. Emergency calls do happen, we all have to remember.

Persistence paid off in this case, but it made me rethink my former stance on answering repeated calls from unknown numbers a bit(although I’m not afraid to leave voicemails and always do!)—such a damned shame that robocalls and sales calls/scams/political ads have forced us to be leery about answering random phone numbers though.

Current pet peeve I’m dealing with: entitled assholes in my condo community who don’t seem to understand what RESERVED parking means. My assigned spot was an extra $5k when we bought into the building, so naturally I’m extra possessive of it. Nice spot, yet there’s still PLENTY of parking available throughout the parking garage for those who didn’t buy in, along with their guests.

I’ve only had several folks park in my spot in the past, to which I left a polite note to please move or I’d have to have them towed. After that, it wasn’t a problem and they’d always be gone by the time I checked back.
Cut to the other night around 9pm, someone is parked in my spot. Never mind the painted RESERVED word going across it and the RESERVED sign in front of it. I leave my usual note and figure they’ll be gone by the next morning, at least. So I leave for work around 7:30am, they’re still parked there. Then I get home from work over 8 hours later, they’re *still* parked there with my note still attached. Nearly 24 hours parked in someone’s Reserved spot?! Oh now that’s some kinda nerve/entitlement—for the first time ever, I called a tow-truck on someone. Then posted it on our building’s Facebook page to remind folks to please understand building rules and the consequences of breaking them.

Now I’m scared of retaliation because several hours later someone pulled a fire alarm in our building and several neighbors blamed me for putting the towing “victim” on blast and said to expect my car getting keyed/tampered with...um hello?! Why am *I* in the wrong here? Is this the world we live in now?? I suppose everyone should just park where they want around here with no repercussions?! Hey, let’s all just park in those coveted handicapped spots and the fire lanes there, while we’re at it!!

Ugh. I just really hate people sometimes.

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

Now I’m scared of retaliation because several hours later someone pulled a fire alarm in our building and several neighbors blamed me for putting the towing “victim” on blast and said to expect my car getting keyed/tampered with...um hello?! Why am *I* in the wrong here? Is this the world we live in now?? I suppose everyone should just park where they want around here with no repercussions?! Hey, let’s all just park in those coveted handicapped spots and the fire lanes there, while we’re at it!!

Not that I think I would have done it in days of yore either, but I would be really shaky on pulling a fire alarm nowadays (unless, of course, actual fire), because there are security cameras everywhere and last I checked that is a crime.

but, no.  You did nothing wrong.  If you paid to buy a parking spot, you obviously didn't do it with the intent of others parking there instead of you.  By your description it sounds like it's well marked that it's reserved and since this person was driving, we should be able to assume that they are not blind and that they can read simple signs.  If it was just known that spots 1-10, for example, are reserved spots, a visitor came to spend the night and host didn't think to ask where they parked I would have more sympathy for the towee.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

Thank god he did, and he felt awful about his usual stance on ignoring random unknown calls, in retrospect. Emergency calls do happen, we all have to remember.

On my home and office phones, I hear a message as it's being left, so all anyone calling from someone else's phone would have to do is start leaving a message and I'd pick up if it's important (that's happened a few times).  The cell phone is different, but I hardly ever use that and not many people have the number.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

On my home and office phones, I hear a message as it's being left, so all anyone calling from someone else's phone would have to do is start leaving a message and I'd pick up if it's important (that's happened a few times).  The cell phone is different, but I hardly ever use that and not many people have the number.

That's what we do with our landline--listen to the msg and pick up as fast as we can. The robo jerks never leave a msg. When the heck is Congress going to DO something about these harassing calls? I feel sorry for people who don't have voice mail.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1

Warning:  Ethnic issues related

Mainstream media (at least in Toronto) don't seem to quite GET that most Chinese restaurants and stores around here who are losing business right now have a MAJORITY Chinese/Asian clientele.  So stop blaming racism without acknowledging the "typical" clientele.  Is this just sensationalism?

Another pet peeve (and more TV related):  I belong to a Facebook group that caters to fans of a certain Tuesday night drama with what COULD be a confusing storyline to casual viewers.  These so-called "fans" always ask the same questions over and over, even ones which were recently posted.  And fans, REAL fans of this specific show shouldn't be confused.  

• Love 1

At the moment, this is a work peeve, but it really can be applied to everyone/everything:

Please do not tell me that you need my help with something super urgent and then leave me hanging for 20 minutes (and counting) waiting for it to come my way.

Edited by TattleTeeny
Now 33 minutes!
  • Love 4

I understand that people with small children have every right to eat out in restaurants. I understand that small children sometimes need to be entertained while waiting in said restaurants. And I understand that in the current century, frequently the form of said entertainment will be either the parents' smartphone or tablet. I do not in general object to any of the above.

But OMG this MUST involve headphones or earbuds on the device if the child's entertainment from the device requires it make sound. Under no circumstances should anyone, of any age, play videos at full volume in a public space without headphones. That thing is playing for you, put on fucking headphones. It's playing for your kid? Put him in fucking headphones. Forgot to bring headphones? Sorry, no device for your right now.

And if you own or run or manage a restaurant, tell that damn table they must use headphones or mute the damn device. Do not wait for people five tables over to ask you to ask them to turn it down. Have your staff's backs when they ask said people to turn it down or turn it off or use headphones. Do not make the rest of us listen to the competing sounds of Wheels On The Bus against the pop channel your establishment's speakers are streaming into the dining room.

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I understand that people with small children have every right to eat out in restaurants. I understand that small children sometimes need to be entertained while waiting in said restaurants.

I'll add to this part. If it isn't a "family friendly" restaurant, don't bring your kids to it. If you can afford to pay $60.00 an entree, you can afford a friggin' babysitter. I don't want to pay $60.00 an entree and get the "pleasure" of listening to your kid banging their cup on the table & talking in their outside voice all through my meal.

• Love 13

I can't find my umbrella. It lives in my car unless I'm using it to go somewhere and it's no longer in my car, or in my closet, or in my garage, or in my office and it's pouring rain today. I am super annoyed. I have other umbrellas at home, I just love the one I can't find.

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh my goodness, those dumb damn small socks that are intended for wearing invisibly with ballet flats! I bought them to help fill a bit of extra space in my somewhat-too-big shoes.* They suck a ball! In fact, they are each IN a ball right now, as I gave up actually wearing them on my feet and just stuffed them right up into the pointy toe part!

*My feet seem to be a little bigger than 5.5, so I often have to go for a 6, which is OK for boots and anything I can wear fat socks with. It is not OK for this kind of flats!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
On 2/29/2020 at 3:30 PM, Brookside said:

People who post on food related sites and feel compelled to include photos of unappetizing home-made dishes that all too often resemble vomit/dog food.

image.png.fd556a3e8e748a6996a61ce0f8559b3d.png

It makes me laugh so hard (and kind of meanly, I admit) when people do this, but the fun for me is more when the presentation is just bad and/or the food is really, really ordinary. Like, I get if it you, say, tried a recipe and it did not come out like the recipe's image and you think it's funny or informative to share. Or maybe if you're a new cook and your friends are interested in your progress. But generally, "A slice of meatloaf and a plain baked potato!!!" is not post-worthy and that's what makes me laugh.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

It makes me laugh so hard (and kind of meanly, I admit) when people do this, but the fun for me is more when the presentation is just bad and/or the food is really, really ordinary. Like, I get if it you, say, tried a recipe and it did not come out like the recipe's image and you think it's funny or informative to share. Or maybe if you're a new cook and your friends are interested in your progress. But generally, "A slice of meatloaf and a plain baked potato!!!" is not post-worthy and that's what makes me laugh.

I hate it even more when people post pictures of their restaurant food.  My sister will post a pciture of her clam platter if she goes to Friendly's.  I'm always like, really?  Why?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I hate it even more when people post pictures of their restaurant food.  My sister will post a pciture of her clam platter if she goes to Friendly's.  I'm always like, really?  Why?

THAT is exactly the type of thing that would make me laugh all night.

On 2/29/2020 at 3:30 PM, Brookside said:

People who post on food related sites and feel compelled to include photos of unappetizing home-made dishes that all too often resemble vomit/dog food.

image.png.fd556a3e8e748a6996a61ce0f8559b3d.png

omg yes, a thousand times! I have a friend who sells for MLM seasoning company, one time she posted a pic that literally looked like someone threw up on the plate! I had to hide the post so I didn't keep gagging as I scrolled! 

48 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my goodness, those dumb damn small socks that are intended for wearing invisibly with ballet flats! I bought them to help fill a bit of extra space in my somewhat-too-big shoes.* They suck a ball! In fact, they are each IN a ball right now, as I gave up actually wearing them on my feet and just stuffed them right up into the pointy toe part

Thank god its not just me this happens to!! My daughter uses them and they're fine, we have the same size feet!!!

• Love 3
16 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I understand that people with small children have every right to eat out in restaurants. I understand that small children sometimes need to be entertained while waiting in said restaurants. And I understand that in the current century, frequently the form of said entertainment will be either the parents' smartphone or tablet. I do not in general object to any of the above.

I do not understand though, especially when the restaurant is a brewery, or the time of the visit to the restaurant is after 8:00pm. And what's wrong with books? Or, since you're there as a family, having the parents entertain the little ones? If you don't want to be bothered, THEN LEAVE THEM HOME WITH A SITTER! Gah! I once went with another couple to a brewery that served food, with a 7:30pm reservation on a Saturday evening. The table next to us had 6 adults and at least 3-4 children (prob 6-8 year range) who were seated shortly after us. Those children spent most of the evening running around the table, interferring with the wait staff and being loud and disruptive. At least twice my chair was bumped by a child playing 'tag' around their table. None of the adults paid attention.  I was not the only customer who was bothered either. 

I don't want to turn this into "back in my day", I've seen very well-behaved kids and parents who pay attention at many adult-type restaurants and breweries, it just seems that those types are way outnumbered by the bad ones. 

• Love 10

I've been known to say something directly to the kid [in a kind, friendly tone] if they are disrupting me "hey there, be careful, you might trip someone" or "hey sweetie, be careful, you keep bumping into our chairs". If the parents say something back to me I will come back with "Oh, I didn't realize these kids had adult supervision, please keep them our of our space" because I'm an asshole.

Kids will be kids and are not known for their great decision making skills, especially when they aren't being reinforced by a known adult.

• Love 15
(edited)

I like that @theredhead77, I will use that in the future! The wait staff spoke to the children a couple times, and the parents did the "Susy, come sit down!" and then 2 minutes later Suzy was up running around the table again.

When my children were small we did not go out a lot, money was tight and we couldn't afford a sitter AND a dinner out, so unless my parents were available we stayed home. Besides, if we did go out, it was to have adult time and not have to entertain the little ones. That doesn't seem to be a mindset these days....

Edited by BexKeps
  • Love 3

My cousin has four kids (and popped one out every two years, so for years that meant having four young children), and they were remarkably well behaved as children.  Once when visiting her brother, he wanted to take them (and their mom) out to a nice restaurant, but she balked - they're almost always good, but if this is the night one of them isn't, she doesn't want to be in a fancy restaurant.  He insisted, and as they were seated, they could see the "oh, come on!" expressions on the faces of all the diners around them.  The kids conducted themselves appropriately, and as other diners finished their meals, they came by the table and complimented them on how the kids behaved (saying things like "we expected disaster, but ...").

No one was surprised by the reactions - neither the "why is this happening to me?" expressions at the beginning or the "wow, that did not go how I thought it would" relief at the end - because it was, indeed, far more likely that having four kids seated at the next table was going to ruin what was supposed to be a nice - and costly - evening.

I think parental attitudes have grown pretty dismal, with the notion they're entitled to bring their kids with them anywhere they go and those disturbed by their behavior are just haters.  It's not always appropriate.  There are adult spaces left in the world; kids don't belong everywhere.

• Love 12

Oh my goodness, those dumb damn small socks that are intended for wearing invisibly with ballet flats! I bought them to help fill a bit of extra space in my somewhat-too-big shoes.* They suck a ball! In fact, they are each IN a ball right now, as I gave up actually wearing them on my feet and just stuffed them right up into the pointy toe part

I had the same issue with those socks until someone told me to buy them a half size or even a full size smaller than my shoe size. They stretch out so much that they end up fitting your foot and don't end up in a bunch in the toe or heel of your shoe. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I think parental attitudes have grown pretty dismal, with the notion they're entitled to bring their kids with them anywhere they go and those disturbed by their behavior are just haters.  It's not always appropriate.  There are adult spaces left in the world; kids don't belong everywhere

You said it well. I specifically mentioned breweries because to me they are "Adult" spaces, the main theme is the beer that they brew, discussion about the beer they brew and those beers being served throughout the day. I have never seen any kid-friendly events at these places, I have never seen a brewery advertise events that would pertain to young children, so why people think dragging there young ones to a place like this is beyond me. Other than what you said, entitlement. 

• Love 4

What I need someone to invent is, like...tights that have a kind of padded, puffy bottom of the foot! They would help me fill up my shoe-space and not be seen around the edges AND not fall off! Who will make this for me?!

19 hours ago, BexKeps said:

I like that @theredhead77, I will use that in the future!

I'm SUPER nice to the kids, even the ones who are old enough to know better. It's not their fault they don't have proper parental supervision. The older ones I'll get a little stern with if they keep going and are disrupting me but dude, it "takes a village", right?

• Love 5
(edited)

We've talked about this one before, but I'm venting: People who don't RSVP.  The RSVP deadline for my parents' 50th anniversary party was the 1st, but there are two couples we haven't heard from.  Come on!  There are addressed, stamped envelopes included.  If you misplaced it, send an email.

Both couples would have to fly out to attend, so I assume if we haven't received a "yep, I'll be there" response by now (the party is ten days away), they're not coming -- I don't anticipate this being a situation where someone doesn't RSVP and then just shows up, causing a lot of last-second shuffling.  But how rude not to respond at all.  And these are people in their 70s, brought up when etiquette was still a thing.  And surely in their 70-some years, they have hosted at least one party, or heard someone complain about hosting a party, and thus know that hosts need an accurate headcount. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

I don't anticipate this being a situation where someone doesn't RSVP and then just shows up, causing a lot of last-second shuffling. 

If they did show up I don't know how much shuffling I would do for them. Inconsiderate clods.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

If they did show up I don't know how much shuffling I would do for them. Inconsiderate clods.

You have checked in with them, right?  Because mail gets lost, in both directions. That’s more obvious to me now that I’ve set up Informed Delivery. I get a daily email with what I’m supposed to be getting that day, and hey! once in a while something just doesn’t turn up. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

We've talked about this one before, but I'm venting: People who don't RSVP.  The RSVP deadline for my parents' 50th anniversary party was the 1st, but there are four people (two couples) we haven't heard from.  Come on!  There are addressed, stamped envelopes included.  If you misplaced it, send an email.

Reminds me of my son's wedding,  they didn't get an RSVP from my sister and her family (which meant 6 people) by the date they'd requested and when I called to ask she didn't understand why the bride's family wanted a written response.  Sigh.  Of course we were pretty sure they were coming but we had no way of knowing which meal option they were choosing and besides would it really have been so damn hard to just drop that pre-addressed and stamped card in the mail?

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

You have checked in with them, right?  Because mail gets lost, in both directions. That’s more obvious to me now that I’ve set up Informed Delivery. I get a daily email with what I’m supposed to be getting that day, and hey! once in a while something just doesn’t turn up. 

I don't know why you quoted me, it was not my peeve but I do have Informed Delivery and I, personally would have checked with the people in question. But people that can't be bothered to RSVP don't get preferential treatment in my book.

(edited)
42 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't know why you quoted me, it was not my peeve but I do have Informed Delivery and I, personally would have checked with the people in question. But people that can't be bothered to RSVP don't get preferential treatment in my book.

Oh sorry!!!! Now that I have a bigger screen in front of me I see you were just weighing in on the original peeve.  I think that was @Bastet ...?

I do stand by my opinion that while there's probably a 95% chance they're clods who can't be bothered, it can't hurt to give them the "benefit of the doubt" call - "I'm worried you didn't get the invitation to Mom & Dad's big significant party - I'm sure you would have responded so something must have gotten lost in the mail!"  Bonus points for passive aggressiveness 🙂

ETA - but on the other hand, our peeves are our peeves, so I should probably step out and stop second guessing the peevees.

Edited by SoMuchTV
second thoughts
  • Love 2

Yes, my mom emailed them this morning after there were still no RSVPs in today's mail.  It's two minutes out of her day, but it's also a delay in confirming things with the restaurant and the florist while we wait to hear back to make sure we have an accurate headcount.  We wanted to have that nailed down two weeks out, but we really only need one week's notice, so it's not a big deal.  But if they'd sent their replies, it wouldn't be necessary.  It's just inconsiderate.  (Sure, one or both could have been lost in the mail, which is why we're double-checking.  But I doubt it.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Do they send cashiers to stupid school to learn how to bag? I think I've already vented about this here, but yesterday I went to Target & bought a bunch of things including two 2 liter soda bottles & a large multi pack of boxes of tissues. I brought two large shopping bags with me, & put them both on the conveyor belt in front of all my stuff. So what does the cashier do?  She tries to load everything in one bag, & when I said that there were two bags, she said "oh, you want me to use two bags?". Nooooo, I gave you the other one just to show you I have a matching pair, WTH did she think I put it down for if I didn't want it used?

• Love 3