Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I had no idea! We just had a new helium tank delivered to the store. Ugh. We charge $1.45 per balloon inflation.

Wait, so people bring their own balloons in to be inflated?

Share this post


Link to post

Since the balloon discussion is still going on:
It both peeves and grieves me when I am walking on the beach and see deflated Mylar balloons declaring "Happy Birthday!" or "Congratulations!" or even "Happy Mothers Day!" because so often they wind up being swallowed by marine life.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post

I was buying toilet paper this morning and the only size of toilet paper rolls available was the mega size. Not everyone wants a toilet paper roll the size of a personal watermelon. I can't actually fit the roll into the toilet paper holder in my bathroom. Also, there was not a single package of Target paper towels in the whole store. WTF?

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry if this one has been mentioned before: mechanics who can't resist adjusting car seats while working on cars for X amount of time. OK, I get that mechanics are likely far taller than some of their customers (particularly the elderly) but if they honestly can't stand to drive the customers' cars 'as is' around the garage grounds for the brief time they are in possession of said cars, then if they MUST adjust the seats to fit their physiques, then what's stopping them from adjusting the seats BACK to where their paying customers had originally had them! Sorry, but my elderly mother recently had some work done and was barely able see over the dashboard after the mechanics had left their own personal preferences 'as was' when returning the car to her! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 5
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Wait, so people bring their own balloons in to be inflated?

No, we also sell not-yet-inflated balloons and charge for inflation. Although, come to think of it, the night manager brought in non-in-store-bought balloons for his son's birthday several weeks ago and I charged him for the inflation. He inflated the balloons himself. I don't actually know how to operate the helium tank.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

mechanics who can't resist adjusting car seats while working on cars for X amount of time

Same goes for car wash employees who drive 20 feet to move the car to the drying area. 

I also see no reason for mechanics and body shop workers to change my radio station.

I do expect them to steal the laundromat quarters I used to keep in the cup holder.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

As much as I hate telemarketers and robo-calls, I had to laugh at the one I got today.  They left a long, detailed message on my landline answering machine about options for repaying my student loans and how they can save me so much money, yadda yadda yadda.  It was great.

I don't have any student loans.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

My peeve today is pharmaceutical companies. My thyroid medication was apparently recently reformulated and the manufacturer didn't inform patients. They claim this new formula did not change the strength of the medication at all yet thousands of thyroid patients are now complaining about the smell of the med and that they have symptoms returning that weren't there before. I noticed the new smell back in early July but didn't think much about it until I started feeling off recently. Did labs last week and everything is wonky despite "nothing changing". Now I have to change up my dosage again, which takes months to figure out if it's working, and deal with all of these symptoms again.

It's the third thyroid medication I've been on that has been reformulated in recent years and has made things worse, despite what the manufacturer says. It's so frustrating.

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post

-This is a PSA. I consider myself a very good online shopper. 

My father loves and does well with Brooks Beast (he’s 72). He has neuropathy so they treat him well. I ordered him the latest model from Nordstrom and sadly they didn’t work for his inserts. 

I googled the previous model and found a site where I could get 2 price for the price (not as crazy as it sounds- model before he wears an 8.5m). 

I order from Brooks.com....and then.  I’m charged 140 - it was Brookeae.com. charged  by a Chinese character site. I go to my bank.  They say that’s normal. 

This week I got a bracelet from China that can’t be worth more than 2 dollars that says “i love you”. 

I chalk it up as shame on my I was stupid. Please make sure you’re always on a secure site.

Sorry if double post. Make sure you buy from secure site

5 minutes ago, KnoxForPres said:
Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Useful 3
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

This week I got a bracelet from China that can’t be worth more than 2 dollars that says “i love you”

I don't fully understand the scheme, but it sounds like it's related to this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2017/11/27/americans-are-receiving-unordered-parcels-from-chinese-e-criminals-and-cant-do-anything-about-it/#24d5fd3973da

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/25/2019 at 4:59 PM, shapeshifter said:

Since the balloon discussion is still going on:
It both peeves and grieves me when I am walking on the beach and see deflated Mylar balloons declaring "Happy Birthday!" or "Congratulations!" or even "Happy Mothers Day!" because so often they wind up being swallowed by marine life.

Peeve: litter! I started taking gloves and a trash bag whenever I go out. I want to find a collapsible pick up stick. 

21 hours ago, bilgistic said:

No, we also sell not-yet-inflated balloons and charge for inflation. Although, come to think of it, the night manager brought in non-in-store-bought balloons for his son's birthday several weeks ago and I charged him for the inflation. He inflated the balloons himself. I don't actually know how to operate the helium tank.

It's pretty easy. Slide the balloon over the top and firmly push the tip to release the gas into the balloon. 

34 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Oh that pisses me off for a multitude of reasons but mostly due to the excess waste and footprint sending this garbage leaves. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes!  Thankfully I haven’t been jacked so much but yes!  Please be careful. Look for the lock sign when you input anything. 

Heck Ive pretty much told myself I’d use only credit cards and only known sites to order. I didn’t fight this because what do you do say I was an idiot and fell for a scam?

But they are so good!  Please make sure you buy from only reputable sites. I feel like an idiot but worse wish I had got my pops the shoes he wanted. I hate thieves. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I received a call from "Chase Fraud Detection" yesterday. The number on my caller ID was the number on the back of my card. They had the last 4 of my card and wanted to "verify some spending that was outside my normal pattern".

I said I would call back and speak to someone in the fraud department and they got defensive stating they called from the number on the back of my card. I logged into my Chase account, didn't see anything unusual, called the 800#, they have no record of the call and said it was a scam.

This morning I logged in to look at my pending charges and yep, fraud. Super annoying.

  • Surprise 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

I got a message from Hulu the other day that an unknown device was using my account. I wasn't too worried; for whatever reason, it happens from time to time even though it's just our TVs as usual. But this time, lo and behold, it was real. Sorry, "Andy's iPhone"--I hope you weren't too engrossed in whatever it was you'd been watching. I'm madder about having to change my password than I am that I "helped" someone watch TV shows.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

It's pretty easy. Slide the balloon over the top and firmly push the tip to release the gas into the balloon. 

Yep, I had a helium tank in my flower shop. Just remember to take it slow, those things make a hell of a BANG when they are over filled and explode.

  • Laugh 3
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Years ago I know we had a long set of posts about service animals and some people's abusive use of emotional support (as opposed to service) animals.  I enjoyed this article:

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/8/30/20838400/mini-horse-service-animal-policy-advocacy

And BTW here is the blind guide horse user on emotional support animals:
 

Recently, the US government has made it clear that service horses are allowed on planes. You’re a pioneer in this, so does it feel nice to see that airlines are clarifying that mini horses are allowed to fly?

Yes, yes it does. I just hope that they make sure that it’s a service horse, and not an emotional support animal, because people can abuse that. I’ve had friends who’ve said, ‘I’m going to take my dog and put a vest on it and say it’s a service dog.’ And I’m like, ‘No, no you’re not; you’re not screwing it up for me. I worked way too hard to do this.’ Taking a horse on a plane — you wouldn’t do this unless it was absolutely necessary.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Like 5
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Intentionally and consistently spelling names wrong, despite being corrected. It's disrespectful and drives me bonkers. There is a difference between EriC and EriK or Erica and EriKa, etc...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Unexpected fireworks are my peeve of the day.  Particularly in light of the random shootings going on all over the country, and that I was mass-shooting adjacent a few years back (I was never in any real danger, as it was several buildings away, but I know people who were).  Planned fireworks displays are not a problem, just the unexpected ones.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Recently, the US government has made it clear that service horses are allowed on planes. 

I don't care how miniature the horse is, I don't want to sit next to a horse on a plane. The airlines need to get a grip and only allow bonafide service dogs (with certificates to prove it).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't care how miniature the horse is, I don't want to sit next to a horse on a plane. The airlines need to get a grip and only allow bonafide service dogs (with certificates to prove it).

And now I really wish I'd snapped a picture of a dog wearing a jacket(?) printed with "Service Dog In Training" in a doctor's waiting room. I'm sure it really was being trained to patiently, quietly, and unobtrusively wait in such a situation. I arrived early for a long appointment, and the dog was there with its trainer before I arrived and after I left.

But the dog was huge. It seemed to be a cross between a poodle and a Great Dane and/or some equally large breed —having the hypoallergenic poodle (white) hair, but not only being taller than a Standard Poodle, but having a massive head and enormous paws. 

It would require 3 seats on an airplane, and even that would be a squish. I wanted to know how it would be used, but didn't want to be obnoxious and ask.

Anyway, it was at least as big as a miniature horse.

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Unexpected fireworks are my peeve of the day.  Particularly in light of the random shootings going on all over the country, and that I was mass-shooting adjacent a few years back (I was never in any real danger, as it was several buildings away, but I know people who were).  Planned fireworks displays are not a problem, just the unexpected ones.

We've all got PTSD. USA! USA!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't care how miniature the horse is, I don't want to sit next to a horse on a plane. The airlines need to get a grip and only allow bonafide service dogs (with certificates to prove it).

So you're saying airlines need to disregard the ADA and ban a recognized service animal from the plane? https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

image.thumb.png.81c4b9f68df0066d414e364f06018215.png

Here's a link from the DOT about this

 
 
 
 
Quote

With respect to animal species, we indicated that we would focus our enforcement efforts on ensuring that the most commonly used service animals (dogs, cats, and miniature horses) are accepted for transport as service animals.


  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I don't care how miniature the horse is, I don't want to sit next to a horse on a plane. ...

I'd rather sit next to a horse on a plane (or anywhere else) than a child -- even an apparently well-behaved child, because you never know when they might go off.  In fact, I'd rather sit next to any kind of critter than a child, except for spiders (unless they're securely caged) and preachers.  

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

And now I really wish I'd snapped a picture of a dog wearing a jacket(?) printed with "Service Dog In Training" in a doctor's waiting room. I'm sure it really was being trained to patiently, quietly, and unobtrusively wait in such a situation. I arrived early for a long appointment, and the dog was there with its trainer before I arrived and after I left.

But the dog was huge. It seemed to be a cross between a poodle and a Great Dane and/or some equally large breed —having the hypoallergenic poodle (white) hair, but not only being taller than a Standard Poodle, but having a massive head and enormous paws. 

It would require 3 seats on an airplane, and even that would be a squish. I wanted to know how it would be used, but didn't want to be obnoxious and ask.

Anyway, it was at least as big as a miniature horse.

Some service dogs stand and brace while their person gets up or leans on them, depending on what's needed, so they need to be good-sized and sturdy.  Large (or extra-large) service dogs are also used in the care of children with autism - https://www.autismanchoringdogs.org/why-giant-dog-breeds/ .

I'd pay a reasonable upgrade fee to be able to sit next to the mini horse on a plane. 

Edited by harrie
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Unexpected fireworks are my peeve of the day.  Particularly in light of the random shootings going on all over the country, and that I was mass-shooting adjacent a few years back (I was never in any real danger, as it was several buildings away, but I know people who were).  Planned fireworks displays are not a problem, just the unexpected ones.

Even planned fireworks can be a problem. I was working in a tall building near a baseball stadium in San Francisco shortly after 9/11. They had planned fireworks & a display by the Blue Angels for opening day which was all well advertised, but let me tell you, when the fireworks started shooting off & everybody looked up & saw planes flying at us, pretty much everybody (including me) hit the floor in terror. I don't think one person thought of the baseball stadium.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post

I just meant that planned fireworks are not a problem for me.  I know lots of people (veterans, mostly) for whom even planned fireworks are a problem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Stupid Optimum is down for two days because of "scheduled maintenance." This includes e-mail. Did the crooks bother to tell customers in advance via e-mail? No. Surely anyone who works as a freelancer might need to know something like that.

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

So you're saying airlines need to disregard the ADA and ban a recognized service animal from the plane? https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

image.thumb.png.81c4b9f68df0066d414e364f06018215.png

Here's a link from the DOT about this

No, I'm not saying airlines need to disregard the ADA. The airlines always cooperated back when service animals were trained dogs...the type of dogs that were large enough to do chores for their owner (unlike the tiny dogs I saw at the gate prior to my last flight, wearing "service animal" coats).  Also, I certainly never heard of any incidents back then when the service dogs attacked nearby passengers, which has happened in the past few years.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I was at a dinner party tonight and suddenly realized I have a new (?) peeve. 

It’s people who slam down their hands down on the counter to make sure that their point is noted. Especially when they are wearing jewelry because it makes a shriller noise.  It just got so loud and competitive that the enjoyment of sharing a conversation was no longer fun. At least 5 folks were doing it and I suddenly needed to go outside to look at the at the stars. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Intentionally and consistently spelling names wrong, despite being corrected. It's disrespectful and drives me bonkers. There is a difference between EriC and EriK or Erica and EriKa, etc...

giphy.gif

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

It’s people who slam down their hands down on the counter to make sure that their point is noted. Especially when they are wearing jewelry because it makes a shriller noise.  It just got so loud and competitive that the enjoyment of sharing a conversation was no longer fun. At least 5 folks were doing it and I suddenly needed to go outside to look at the at the stars. 

There used to be a woman in our coffee group who would hit her empty coffee (paper) cup on the table over and over and over, ad nauseum, while she was talking.  Thank God she left the group cause the jarring noise made by the cup was going through me like a razor.  There's a name for stuff like this: misophrenia (I think).  @Mindthinkr...I'm not saying that's what your situation was with the hands slamming the table (awful for anyone to hear!)  But it's mine (the cup noise, certain types of whistling, digital clocks softly ch-ch-ch-ing, etc).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I cannot take whistling. Old men in my store are ALL ABOUT some whistling. A couple of my coworkers do it. It creeps me out because it's a horror movie staple.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

So you're saying airlines need to disregard the ADA and ban a recognized service animal from the plane?

I have a lifelong aversion to horses and if I was ever forced to be near one, I'd be running screaming for the exits.  Just thinking about the possibility of being near a horse on a plane is, as I type this, causing me massive anxiety, even though I rarely fly.  (Don't get me wrong; I don't want anything bad to happen to horses--I just can't go near one.)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

I have a lifelong aversion to horses and if I was ever forced to be near one, I'd be running screaming for the exits.  Just thinking about the possibility of being near a horse on a plane is, as I type this, causing me massive anxiety, even though I rarely fly.  (Don't get me wrong; I don't want anything bad to happen to horses--I just can't go near one.)

There are also people who are terrified of dogs, who might have the same reaction to having a service dog on the same flight, but I think the need of the person with a service animal outweighs the possibility of a passenger having a phobia or extreme anxiety about a service animal. I no longer fly at all, but would have no problem with any service animal. But if somehow I did need to fly and another passenger had a snake as an emotional support pet? Hell to the no. I had to take Xanax just to watch Snakes on a Plane

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

I have a lifelong aversion to horses and if I was ever forced to be near one, I'd be running screaming for the exits.  Just thinking about the possibility of being near a horse on a plane is, as I type this, causing me massive anxiety, even though I rarely fly.  (Don't get me wrong; I don't want anything bad to happen to horses--I just can't go near one.)

There are also people with dog and cat phobias.  In addition, there are those that are allergic to one or both, and if combined with asthma, can actually be quite dangerous.  The airline will do its best to rebook you on a later flight that day with no animals on it in these cases.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

As long as no one brings a service shark, I'm good.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

The only thought i had about a support horse or large dog, was is it trained to control bowel movements.

Because I've smelled what a 200LB animal's poop smelled like in a house.  If something like that happened on a plane it would trigger an emergency landing.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

One of my daughters is afraid of birds.

Me, too.  I get a lot of flak over that.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Me, too.  I get a lot of flak over that.

I'm not afraid of birds. But the one animal that has ever attacked me was a bird. Those things will dive bomb you in the head if you get too close to their nests.

Plus an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

And they can crap on your head at any time.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

the one animal that has ever attacked me was a bird. Those things will dive bomb you in the head if you get too close to their nests.

Plus an Alfred Hitchcock movie.

And they can crap on your head at any time.

I like birds, but the seagulls have decided I am one of their own. I swim under them all summer, and they never poop on me. I like to think it's because I helped rescue one and that they are now genetically programmed to like me. Heh.

___________

Edited to conform to the thread topic of Pet Peeves.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

... I like birds, but the seagulls have decided I am one of their own. I swim under them all summer, and they never poop on me. I like to think it's because I helped rescue one and that they are now genetically programmed to like me. Heh.

Worked for Androcles with the lion.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm peeved by pigs. Not barnyard oink-oink pigs, but pigs in the workplace. How can someone see that their soup boiled over in the microwave and think it's okay to leave that puddle of broth? Three times in one week?! How is it okay to have red sauce explode all over the microwave and walk away? Our kitchen area is tiny - it's literally one step to the paper towel and sink! Wipe it up!! I do - every damn day - and it's not even my messes! And there's also the people who add a ton of sugar and cream to their coffee, spill that sticky liquid on the counter and say to themselves "meh, that's okay" - they drop the stir stick in the sink (the garbage can is, again, one step away) and off they go. I'm sick of it! We're all grown ups with jobs! We can all wipe up our messes! Yes, we have a cleaning person. But she has seven floors to stock, clean, and carpet sweep. She hasn't got a sixth sense that tells her "microwave mess on floor one" so she can wipe it up for the grown up with a job!

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post

One place I worked in the past had pigs like that.  Someone put up a sign that said, “Your mother does not work here.  Clean up after yourself.”  It was surprisingly effective.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

We can all wipe up our messes! Yes, we have a cleaning person. But she has seven floors to stock, clean, and carpet sweep. She hasn't got a sixth sense that tells her "microwave mess on floor one" so she can wipe it up for the grown up with a job!

THIS!!!  I would think we worked with the same pigs but my building is only 2 floors. Still, the number of times I've seen someone drop a napkin or plasticware on the floor NEXT TO the garbage and not take the time to pick it up infuriates me! We have a day porter (I refuse to call her a cleaning lady or a janitor) who is the nicest lady and the shit she must have to deal with from grown adults with high-paying jobs is ridiculous! Don't get me started on the disgusting things I've seen in the ladies room! When the Chairman of the Board bends over to pick up a leaf/piece of paper/straw wrapper from the carpet to put it in the garbage you'd think the people who work for him might catch a clue, but no. 

19 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I cannot take whistling. Old men in my store are ALL ABOUT some whistling. A couple of my coworkers do it. It creeps me out because it's a horror movie staple.

Me neither, there is one guy who walks through our office whistling the entire way. Why? I could understand if he did it while walking into the building but you're in an office building, it's annoying, irritating and rude. It would be like if I decided to break out in song as I walked through the office, and trust me, that would make you poke your eardrums out! 

Pet Peeve: over dramatic back-to-school-my-baby-is-growing-so-fast parents. In the past 2 days I've listened to at least 3 of my coworkers lamenting to the nth degree about this annual rite as if their children were leaving for college or the military, when they are just entering the next grade up. I'm not heartless, having raised 2 girls and still wondering how my oldest is 29 already, but I don't start hyperventilating, breaking out in tears or feel faint about it. Some people are just a little over the top about their kids growing up I guess. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

When the Chairman of the Board bends over to pick up a leaf/piece of paper/straw wrapper from the carpet to put it in the garbage you'd think the people who work for him might catch a clue, but no. 

The last office I worked in the company president wouldn't even bother to close the cabinet doors after he got what he wanted out of them. You'd walk into the kitchen and all the doors would just waving in the breeze. Pigs.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The last office I worked in the company president wouldn't even bother to close the cabinet doors after he got what he wanted out of them. You'd walk into the kitchen and all the doors would just waving in the breeze. Pigs.

When I worked in the hospital, the fastest way to get a doctor to show up was to break out some food.  I think they have a built-in GPS that pings them to the location of other people's food.  They were really good at not only taking food that wasn't theirs and never bringing any to share, but leaving the mess behind for the nurses to clean up.

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post

This is scraping the bottom of the peeves barrel but I still want to know why a good number of people type the name "Jamie" as "Jaime." Is it a very specific form of dyslexia that only affects one word? Are those folks all fluent in Spanish?

Disclosure: The show Married at First Sight has a weekly interview show hosted by someone named Jamie and there's also a contestant this season with that name.

... Okay, I just searched the forum and there are 111 results for "Jaime." I'm not making it up!  😊

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, meowmommy said:

When I worked in the hospital, the fastest way to get a doctor to show up was to break out some food.  I think they have a built-in GPS that pings them to the location of other people's food.  They were really good at not only taking food that wasn't theirs and never bringing any to share, but leaving the mess behind for the nurses to clean up.

The same was true of a judge I knew, though he was not typical of the breed.  One of him was bad enough -- vastly overpaid, yet stealing food from interns whose sole compensation was law school credits, then leaving a mess in his wake.  

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...