Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

• Start Topic

I had a certified letter delivery attempt on Friday (the card was in my mailbox). So I went to the post-office, they checked and it wasn't there (I wasn't expecting it to be there yet since only a few hours had past), I signed the card that it was OK to deliver. 

I was expecting the re-delivery attempt to be made on Saturday. Nope. Hopefully it shows up today. I have a feeling it's the breast imaging center getting all upset that I haven't come back for my follow-up squishing. I already have an appointment scheduled for the first week in Jan which was the first available appt.

I didn't even know I needed to go in for a follow-up until I received a letter saying I hadn't come back yet. Um, it would have been nice if someone had called to tell me I needed to come back.

So I called in a panic and the front desk of the imaging center checked with the person who read the films and said no need to worry, I just have super dense tissue and they need to take different images but no one was concerned and it was fine that I came in the first week in Jan vs trying to get down to the main hospital to get in sooner.

Ok, great. But stop with the letters and the fucking certified mail. It's not helping!

TL;DR peeves:

Certified letters that aren't redelivered the next day

Dr. Offices that don't call and tell you that you need to go in for a follow-up

The constant stream of letters telling me to go in for a follow-up even though I already have an appt scheduled!

• Love 4
On 12/7/2019 at 11:41 AM, TattleTeeny said:

YOU GUYS, why, why, WHY does Amazon's tracking constantly claim that orders have been delivered when they have not yet been delivered?! I cannot take it! As an organized (and also an admittedly spendy and somewhat impatient) person, I keep track of what's ordered, especially at this time of year!

For the second time this week, tracking info says a package has arrived when it has not. When this happens, I take the time to contact Amazon and see what's what and resolve it ASAP. Just last night, I was issued a refund for--and reordered!--a package that was documented as delivered on Wednesday--and it arrived today. Now I have two of the same thing and a refund that I should probably give back (which will take more of my time!). And today, same thing: tracking says a different order was delivered last night. I got my mail literally at midnight (because I was out seeing The Cult, yay!) and it was not there. The organized part of me wants to contact Amazon, but the tiny patient part of me says give it a minute. 

Why do they do this?!

It's the actual drivers! There have been a couple of times when I've actually been home when the package is delivered, but my notification that it has been delivered, doesn't show up until a couple hours later. Sometimes by 8p.m. I think it's them scanning or something? I dunno. Amazon instituted (I think within the last year) of the courier taking a picture to show "proof of delivery" to accompany the confirmation on its site. And on a tangent, what peeves me is that the text notifications are inconsistent as all get out. It used to be that I would get texts that it's been shipped and then delivered. Then some glitch happened, so I stopped receiving the "your package has been delivered." I called and Amazon and I went through two or three levels of tech, and it was resolved. But the anal person I am, I didn't delete the chain of texts. And a new thing happened---I would get the text that delivery happened. THEN I would get a text that my item would arrive today. Well, DUH! It already arrived! But apparently, the text chain disappears after six months or so. Dammit. Now I have to see if it stopped working the next time I order something.

CHRISTMAS LIGHTS related Peeve:

I finally put up my tree yesterday. But the star? the one with the cord? I usually plug it into an extension and it lights up. Not this time. I tried plugging it into one end of the two sided plug on my tree, no dice. Does this mean I just need to get a new one? The top evergreen where a light or Angel or whatever should go, isn't strong enough to hold up anything heavier than a pound, if that, I think.

Any ideas? I'll post my tree so you can see what I mean.

This is the ️ that stopped working.

412E9C1E-11E5-4632-9BB4-978F052E16C5.jpeg

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Strange the post office let a receipt of a certified letter get signed, without the letter actually being received.

Good news, though!

I had to sign the card that it was OK to deliver the letter to my mailbox. If it doesn't show up today I'll go to the post office and find out WTF is going on.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Any ideas? I'll post my tree so you can see what I mean.

Did you try plugging it directly into an outlet?  If it works there, there must be an issue with the light strings or extension cord.  Or, is it one of the old-timey ones, where if one bulb goes out, they all do?  You could try swapping out one bulb at a time with a good replacement, but unless it had some sentimental value, I think I'd rather just get a new one than do that!

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Did you try plugging it directly into an outlet?  If it works there, there must be an issue with the light strings or extension cord.  Or, is it one of the old-timey ones, where if one bulb goes out, they all do?  You could try swapping out one bulb at a time with a good replacement, but unless it had some sentimental value, I think I'd rather just get a new one than do that!

It’s the old-timey ones, I think, even though I bought it two years ago. And the cord is too short to plug directly into a outlet.

Guess I’ll just be getting a new one. Sigh...

40 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It’s the old-timey ones, I think, even though I bought it two years ago. And the cord is too short to plug directly into a outlet.

Guess I’ll just be getting a new one. Sigh...

Well, if you have to take it down anyway to replace it...

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

No letter today. Very weird. I did hear back from the imaging center though and it was to notify me they now want to re-image both breasts due to the major asymmetry. Maybe I can get a reduction out of this. Thin out that dense tissue or something

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

No letter today. Very weird. I did hear back from the imaging center though and it was to notify me they now want to re-image both breasts due to the major asymmetry. Maybe I can get a reduction out of this. Thin out that dense tissue or something

I don't think it works that way.  I had to have mine redone also because of thick tissue.  Only one side, though, luckily.  It was expensive.  I would have hated to pay for both sides.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I don't think it works that way.  I had to have mine redone also because of thick tissue.  Only one side, though, luckily.  It was expensive.  I would have hated to pay for both sides.

I'm sure it doesn't but I can hope for the medical recommendation regardless.

• LOL 1
15 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Maybe I can get a reduction out of this. Thin out that dense tissue or something

I had a breast reduction 4 years ago, DD to C, my mamms are much easier now, no ultrasound or MRI needed. Thankfully it was covered by my insurance, not sure if it differs by state, but I had my chiropractor and my gyn both write letters to confirm my back, neck and shoulder issues due to the weight, and if they take 1lb. out of each breast it can be covered.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm sure it doesn't but I can hope for the medical recommendation regardless.

I have very tiny boobs and still have dense breast tissue that doesn't get a good reading on a mammogram.  

• Love 1

Oh, the peeves today, man; sometimes I wonder if I might have that seasonal affective thing. EVERYTHING is making me feel sad and weirdly guilty (like that I hurt my cats' feelings by, say, telling them to stop scratching our carpet or not playing with them for long enough!)--terrible animal stories are worse than they already are, I constantly feel like I am in a race against time for stupid everyday shit (all of which has been making me disproportionately frustrated*), there's a dull sense of malaise and/or dread. Ugh, it's all stupid. But, I am also in my late 40s, so, you know, there's that whole thing going on and it is the busy holiday season and I have not had a damn actual vacation in years (and just found out that I will have to work during the week between Xmas and the new year that my agency is closed). I am just a perfect storm of blaaaahhhhhhh! So maybe my peeve is just ME!

* Like when that infernal sink-sprayer hose gets caught on the valve when you try to pull it out!!! SUCH A PEEVE!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

(like that I hurt my cats' feelings by, say, telling them to stop scratching our carpet

I'm leaving my sad face up just for this. 

I imagine I'm not unlike you when I felt bad the other day for having to tell Norman that he is not to eat baby Groot. [photo will be added for clarity] Two things about that: 1) That's a sentence I never thought I would say. 2) He looked so pleased with himself right up until I took it away from him.

6A567DB2-BBB1-4747-BD0A-DC9B7ECB5FE1.jpeg

• LOL 14
  • Love 1

I feel bad because most of the stuff we buy them for sanctioned scratching is MADE FROM CARPET! How are they supposed to know?! (Though I have a feeling that they do indeed know.)

Also, I love sentences you'd never expect to say, haha! We have a lot of them here in this house. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

@JTMacc99 https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/marvel-guardians-of-the-galaxy-groot-plush-dog-toy

My peeve is how much I hate Spectrum On Demand. I missed Young Sheldon last week and the new episode is still not on On Demand.

Thank you!

Also, that’s probably CBS’s doing. The on demand content is under the control of the content owners. Spectrum just pulls down whatever is out there. They don’t (nor are they allowed to) pick and choose what and when is available. 

Does CBS All Access make Young Sheldon immediately available? If so, that’s a good reason for them to withhold it from on demand for a bit. It is a motivator for people to sign up for their steaming service. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Also, that’s probably CBS’s doing. The on demand content is under the control of the content owners. Spectrum just pulls down whatever is out there. They don’t (nor are they allowed to) pick and choose what and when is available. 

blah blah blah. Stop logically countering my annoyance. 😄

(That actually makes sense)

• LOL 6
30 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

blah blah blah. Stop logically countering my annoyance. 😄

(That actually makes sense)

Although I do find that episodes on my On Demand tends to randomly take longer than normal during Nov and Dec.  I've always just assumed someone went on vacation.

PS.  they network site has it up on the free, not all access version.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

PS.  they network site has it up on the free, not all access version.

Thank you! My other peeve is unreliable people. Someone I considered a friend said they would come by last weekend to help me with taking my TV off the wall so I can fix my HDMI issue but then they went no-call no-show. When I followed up on Sunday to see if they were still able to help they left me on read. How hard is it to say something came up and they couldn't? 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, the peeves today, man; sometimes I wonder if I might have that seasonal affective thing. EVERYTHING is making me feel sad and weirdly guilty (like that I hurt my cats' feelings by, say, telling them to stop scratching our carpet or not playing with them for long enough!)--terrible animal stories are worse than they already are, I constantly feel like I am in a race against time for stupid everyday shit (all of which has been making me disproportionately frustrated*), there's a dull sense of malaise and/or dread. Ugh, it's all stupid. But, I am also in my late 40s, so, you know, there's that whole thing going on and it is the busy holiday season and I have not had a damn actual vacation in years (and just found out that I will have to work during the week between Xmas and the new year that my agency is closed). I am just a perfect storm of blaaaahhhhhhh! So maybe my peeve is just ME!

Its not you.  Its the season.  There is a bunch more stuff to do than normal.  Then everyone is trying to take time off.  And its dark.  And its cold.

I found a temporary cure a few weeks ago.  I just take a hit as needed.

Its a Mandalorian spoiler (I guess because trailers are still hiding it) image.  And if you know what I'm saying (and who doesn't- because its everywhere) then you already can guess.  If not.  Think hard before opening.  Because its kind of a time suck.  Clips. Memes. Psychological research about what the hell has short circuited in your brain. 

Spoiler

200.gif

• Love 2

I feel like I'm in the wrong, but when you go out, maybe you shouldn't respond to more than 1 or 2 texts.   My friend is communication with several guys on Tinder (although I think she was just chatting with one tonight).  Then she had to check her FB messages.   Then she had to look some stuff up. So I picked up my book so I'd have something to do, and then feel like it's wrong to read when you're out with someone.  It's not as socially acceptable as doing something on your phone.  Maybe I should get a Kindle.

I don't know.  How did we all get along back when we could pretty much only communicate with people from our homes?  I want to go back to those days.  I mean it's nice to have  a phone to say you're running late, or find out if someone else is running late, etc.  But, when did we get to the point that no conversation could wait an hour?

• Love 11
51 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I feel like I'm in the wrong, but when you go out, maybe you shouldn't respond to more than 1 or 2 texts.

I don't think you should be dealing with anything that isn't urgent; interact with the person you're with, and then handle emails, texts, social media, etc. when you're alone.  It's just rude to go out with someone and then periodically check out to be on your phone for no legitimate reason.  If you had whipped out your book first, and just sat there reading for several minutes at a time throughout your night out with your friend, it would be rightly regarded as weird and rude.  It's not different just because it's electronic.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I feel like I'm in the wrong, but when you go out, maybe you shouldn't respond to more than 1 or 2 texts.   My friend is communication with several guys on Tinder (although I think she was just chatting with one tonight).  Then she had to check her FB messages.   Then she had to look some stuff up. So I picked up my book so I'd have something to do, and then feel like it's wrong to read when you're out with someone.  It's not as socially acceptable as doing something on your phone.  Maybe I should get a Kindle.

I don't know.  How did we all get along back when we could pretty much only communicate with people from our homes?  I want to go back to those days.  I mean it's nice to have  a phone to say you're running late, or find out if someone else is running late, etc.  But, when did we get to the point that no conversation could wait an hour?

You know what my biggest gripe is about people and their cell phones?  Its that you feel like you are in the wrong.

I hate that being attached it has become normalized that those of us who aren't are made to feel like there is something wrong with us.

You know what?  Sometimes I let my cell phone die.  Sometimes I forget it at home. Sometimes I forget to turn the ringer back on.  Sometimes I don't remember to check it.  And people look at me like I'm insane.

Also its a bit like a leash.  There is a level of anxiety that happens when people can't reach each other that can't be healthy.

• Love 13

Pull up a rockin' chair and set a spell while I tell you a scary story of Back In My Day. Back in my day, I drove all over this country and Canada, and even went to Europe...wait for it...without a phone! How--how, I ask you--did I live to tell about it...

And--don't read this in the dark!--I didn't bring my phone to work today!

Edited by ABay
  • LOL 13
  • Love 5

Gagging for a pee while stuck in traffic!

or

Gagging for a pee but stuck on a mobile phone conversation with a client who keeps on jibbing on and on!

or

Gagging for a pee while stuck in a fully loaded lift/elevator with the ladies' loo on the top floor, but everyone pressing every floor button below it!

or

Gagging for a pee in a concert hall/cinema/theatre and all the cubicles are occupied!

*Speaking of which, I think I need to go ......

• LOL 4
On 12/11/2019 at 9:16 PM, ParadoxLost said:

Its a Mandalorian spoiler (I guess because trailers are still hiding it) image. 

Kudos for trailers hiding it still.

ICYMI - Amazon has a TON of merch now. It won't be shipped until May. Buy now, be surprised later!

I can deal with the periodic phone checks--it's just a thing now and I do it too sometimes--but some people do get lost in it, man! A "hang on one second" or whatever phrasing goes a long way. I can even deal with casual glancing/scrolling while we're in conversation...IF you're someone who can do both. But the second that it become apparent that you don't hear me speaking anymore, I'm kind of annoyed. Same goes for people who say "that reminds me..." while you're still talking and then proceed to interject with something that has nothing to do with the conversation.

• Love 1

I wish the new iPad based POS systems had an option to select "cash" on the tip screen. POS system options are confined to their programming (which is why there may be a tip line on something that isn't traditionally a tipped position), I just wish these new systems had a 'cash' button because I tip in cash. I prefer to toss a buck or two in a tip jar when I get my Chipotle, or poke, or a line-service fast food type place because I feel like there is a better chance of the employee(s) getting them.

In college I ran a Baskin Robbins and our POS system had a tip line. The owner didn't know how to reconcile tips left on a credit card on the POS system and we missed out because he kept them as part of the daily revenue. (I eventually figured it out and we could claim our tips going forward).

On that note, people who complain about tip lines on everything are a peeve. It's not the front line employees decision to have or not have a tip line and it may not even be the managements decision. It's all in the programming. Tip or don't but don't take the misplaced 'outrage' or 'disgust' out on the person helping you.

• Love 8

It's now a "this is where humanity has devolved to" thing wherein people conduct entire phone and FaceTime(!!) conversations while I'm attempting to conduct their grocery transactions. It's the rudest thing ever, and the pinnacle of rudeness is being given the "just a minute" index finger when I ask for the customer's loyalty card.

No one is that important. No one. Trying to make me feel "less than" you makes you an entitled asshole. Hang up or pause your conversation before you go to the checkout. Zero point zero percent of these people are heart or brain surgeons. In fact, we get a fire department that comes in regularly (they all come in driving the fire truck), and NONE of them ever talk on their phones or radios while in the store.

• Love 12
40 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

In fact, we get a fire department that comes in regularly (they all come in driving the fire truck), and NONE of them ever talk on their phones or radios while in the store.

If they're buying huge amounts of water or baking soda, you should just wave them on through:)

One time a friend of mine called me and she said, "hey my number's up and the deli (or cheese, or something) guy just skipped me."  I had no idea she was in the store.  So, I said, "probably because you're on your phone."  "Are you saying I should hang up?"  "I'm not going to tell you want to do but, yeah, probably."

• Love 7

Police Officers' Associations constant dialing for dollars.  Sorry/not sorry - y'all have medical benefits and pensions the rest of us can only dream of, and you're begging for more from people who have nothing.

And you call late evenings and early Sunday mornings - go fuck yourselves.

• Love 8

One more: the obligatory Holiday greetings/wishes expressed by checkout folks at grocery stores.  

Checkout person: "Have you done all your Christmas shopping?"

Me, biting my tongue to avoid telling them I don't do Xmas, looking at the items on the conveyor belt (cat food, booze and a microwave dinner, all at deep discount): "Yup".

My thought bubble: "Have you SEEN the items I'm buying?  And my Bah Humbug face?  Here's a dollar - buy a clue".

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

What makes me one pissed off petunia is grocery baggers that don't know how to bag groceries.   If I wanted my potato chips all broken into tiny pieces, I would have jumped on the bag a couple of dozen times before I put the bag in the cart.

Ugh, it's like they send all the baggers to stupid school before they let them work. I buy 2 liter bottles of soda all the time, & I always ask for multiple bags when I buy more than one. So what happens? They either leave the bottles in the cart & act surprised when I say I want them in the bags (did you think I wanted one bag per item?) or instead of putting one bottle in each bag, they put all the bottles in one bag so it rips. What is so hard to figure out?

11 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

One more: the obligatory Holiday greetings/wishes expressed by checkout folks at grocery stores.  

Checkout person: "Have you done all your Christmas shopping?"

Me, biting my tongue to avoid telling them I don't do Xmas, looking at the items on the conveyor belt (cat food, booze and a microwave dinner, all at deep discount): "Yup".

My thought bubble: "Have you SEEN the items I'm buying?  And my Bah Humbug face?  Here's a dollar - buy a clue".

I'm right behind you in line. I don't celebrate Christmas, but I realize when someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, they aren't wishing me bad things, so I just thank them & say "the same to you". But if they then go on to question me about my Christmas shopping & if I got my tree yet, & if I'm going to be with family, I want to scream. At that point I have to tell them I don't celebrate that holiday & it gets awkward reaaaal fast. Why do people have to question me about my life, just scan my stuff & let me go.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Police Officers' Associations constant dialing for dollars.

Depending on who is calling it could be a scam.

Scam Alert for National Police Foundation

National Police Association is a a charity while Police Chiefs say it's a scam

37 minutes ago, GaT said:

Ugh, it's like they send all the baggers to stupid school before they let them work. 

Waaaay back when (college days) I was a courtesy clerk (bagger) at a major chain and they taught us how to bag groceries. Same with Target. That hour long training seems to have gone by the wayside, everywhere

37 minutes ago, GaT said:

Why do people have to question me about my life, just scan my stuff & let me go.

Management or corporate candidate. They probably hate it as much as you (everyone) does but people are so afraid of secret shoppers catching the one time they neglect to ask....

• Love 6
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Police Officers' Associations constant dialing for dollars.  Sorry/not sorry - y'all have medical benefits and pensions the rest of us can only dream of, and you're begging for more from people who have nothing.

And you call late evenings and early Sunday mornings - go fuck yourselves.

From what our police (and sheriff and other law enforcement agencies) tell us periodically, most of those are not actual police officer associations and the money probably doesn't go to any actual police officers. Ours don't solicit by phone, anyway, and the national Fraternal Order of the Police says it doesn't, although some state or local chapters may.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, theredhead77 said:

Management or corporate candidate. They probably hate it as much as you (everyone) does but people are so afraid of secret shoppers catching the one time they neglect to ask....

Bingo. Either that or, if they are trying to strike up some kind of genuine conversation, it's to break up the stress/boredom of their no doubt long workday. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

But my original point/peeve was that this IS a scam.

My apologies. I was not trying to diminish your peeve; I was trying to help others who may not be aware those types of calls are usually from organizations unrelated to actual police departments. I'll take that conversation over to chit-chat. 

• Love 4

The thing about scam calls for the Police association brings up a huge pet peeve of mine.

Most police departments do not provide bullet/knife proof vests for the canine officers.  Seriously, this pisses me off to no end.  They send then into dangerous situations with NO protection.  I just, ugh, I lose the ability for use words when I think about it.

One year, in memory of one of my cats I donated a vest to a canine officer.  His human officer was kind enough to send me the sweetest thank you note and a picture of the dog with it on.

It is unconscionable that they have to depend on donations to get vests to protect these dogs.  If they don't have vests, the dog should not be used in my opinion.

• Love 15

Pet Peeve from the Northwest: Although it does not rain here as much as Grey's Anatomy would have you believe, late fall and early winter have more than their share of days with low-hanging clouds that press down heavily. Add to that a bit of spit-rain or a mammoth fog bank and driving becomes hideous.

Given all that, what color car are you most likely to see on the road? Or not see? Silver/grey. Add to that drivers who don't turn on their lights.

Which leads me to a related peeve: Back in the day, I could signal another driver to turn on their lights by switching my lights off and then back on again. Not now. My 2007 Toyota always has its lights on, making me flash my brights instead of going dark. Totally wrong message to send.

I'm not welcome in neighborhoods with holiday light displays because I can't drive through with just the parking lights on.

Whine, whine, just bring the wine!

• Love 7

My girlfriend and I went to McDonalds yesterday. Now I'm not a big fan of fast-food joints, but she felt like a quarter pounder and fries, so to please her I went along with it.

So why is it the reality of what a burger looks like is VASTLY different to the ones you see in the TV adds!!?

My QP was limp, lame and generally had about as much life and appeal as a rotting cadaver!

My partner's Big Mac was equally naff, and bore nothing like the photos and TV ads.

Needless to say my "burger" went in the bin. and I can safely say "I wasn't loving it!"

• Love 4
6 hours ago, IrishPirate said:

Given all that, what color car are you most likely to see on the road? Or not see? Silver/grey. Add to that drivers who don't turn on their lights.

Which leads me to a related peeve: Back in the day, I could signal another driver to turn on their lights by switching my lights off and then back on again. Not now. My 2007 Toyota always has its lights on, making me flash my brights instead of going dark. Totally wrong message to send.

Mine too!!! Actually it doesn't matter what time of year it is, if it's dusk or dawn, cloudy or rainy, turn your damn lights on! I had this discussion with a coworker and she said "but it doesn't help me see" I replied, "it helps others see YOU." GAH!!!!

And I do flash my brights, just happened the other day with a tractor trailer truck as I was leaving the gym at 6:00am, he was driving with just his parking lights on so I flashed my brights, he immediately turned on his headlights and gave me a thumbs up as he passed. 

• Love 12