Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I no longer care, keep my hair pixie cut short, and use whatever shampoo/conditioner combo is cheapest. I recently refilled the pump dispenser I like and threw away the actual bottle, but damn. Either I didn't really buy 2-in-1 or it's a horrible product. After one use my hair is frizzy, flyaway, and the comb actually gets caught up a bit.

The peeve is that I don't know what brand it is so I can avoid it.

There was a time in my 20s that I followed a favorite stylist from shop to shop, even when he moved 50 miles away. I snort at my former self.

My sister cuts mine now. One chair, no waiting.

• Love 3

I've got a pixie cut too, I have pretty much my whole life because I've never had much hair and the hair I have is limp and stringy when long. I also have a long thin face so I'm picky about my bangs. My pet peeve is stylists who hear me say that I need my bangs long and then cut them short anyway. One even told me "they're not short, they just look that way" - um... what? Between that and the fact that I'm not good at that chit chat they do, I started cutting it myself ages ago. I've had a stylist do it every couple years and always ended up either disappointed or mad. At least if I mess up, I only have to be mad at myself. For some reason that's easier for me.

• Love 3
On 5/4/2019 at 7:09 PM, emma675 said:

It's almost like she thinks she "owns" my hair now.

How you break up with her depends on how much effort you want to put into ending the client/service provider relationship. If you're planning to transfer to another salon entirely or something similar, the simplest way would be just to stop making appointments. If you want to see another stylist in the same salon, or if you expect to encounter the current stylist in other situations, then you may want to give her notice that you no longer want her services. The attitude you describe of her thinking that she gets to make major decisions about your hair is why I quit going to salons a long time ago. However, if you feel you owe her some goodwill for having done a good job on your hair for a while, you might consider telling her why you're switching to someone else. Chances are if she is this controlling over your hair, she's the same way with other clients, and in theory, she should welcome feedback about why she's losing a customer. In reality, she might resent the feedback, though, so if you want to give her that feedback, it might be better to do it via email or a similar medium, rather than face to face. 

I go maybe once a year to a cut-rate salon because I don't want my hair styled; I just want it trimmed so the ends are more or less even. My hair is very fine and will not hold a curl or anything longer than maybe an hour, so there's no point in spending big bucks on something that's not going to work for me. Because I work from home and don't socialize a lot, I generally let mine grow out until I can pull it back with a clip and leave it that way until I eventually get annoyed with it or just trim the ends. It behaves reasonably on its own if I let it hang down by itself. A few years ago while I was still working in an office setting, my daughter and her BFF cut my hair for me just for fun (removing about 6 inches of the length) and more or less accidentally butchered it with uneven ends, etc.; yet, the next day when I went to work, numerous people I did not even know by name complimented me on how much they liked the new "style." Go figure. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, 2727 said:

I no longer care, keep my hair pixie cut short, and use whatever shampoo/conditioner combo is cheapest. I recently refilled the pump dispenser I like and threw away the actual bottle, but damn. Either I didn't really buy 2-in-1 or it's a horrible product. After one use my hair is frizzy, flyaway, and the comb actually gets caught up a bit.

The peeve is that I don't know what brand it is so I can avoid it.

This might sound silly but maybe you could post a pic of what the shampoo/condition looks like color wise, what it smells like and someone may be able to guess the brand? It's a longshot but it may work

It makes me grumpy when people dump on Wikipedia. Not that it comes up in conversation all that much, but online references to it are almost always sarcastic and negative.

I use that danged site multiple times a day:  celebrity quick facts, TV show episodes, where a NYC neighborhood is, the meaning of smørrebrød from Bake Off, animals that I see on zoo shows, speeding laws by state, etc. They're not half as patronizing as Mayo Clinic for medical conditions, either.

There are no ads, the site loads quickly, it's well organized, and plenty accurate for my needs.

Yes, it's open to everybody to edit (although not totally because some pages are protected), but it does blare banner text in your face when content is disputed. 

• Love 12

I hate dumb articles shared by what SHOULD be reputable publications.  Town & Country magazine's Facebook page linked an article asking if the new royal baby would have a British accent.  TOWN & COUNTRY!!!!  Total waste of internet space.  I get that a lot of people follow the British Royal Family, but whether a child who will likely be ATTENDING BRITISH SCHOOLS will have an American accent is just weird.  It's like asking whether a child of immigrants will speak with an accent. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I hate Facebook's automated things. I posted in a group I'm in looking for a volunteer who could take my son to a group activity. Facebook automatically made it a "looking for recommendations" post. I'm not looking for recommendations of places or people; I'm looking for someone who will volunteer to help (and not someone who will volunteer someone else). And I don't know how to change it without deleting the whole post.

It did that to me once at work. I posted a link to our jobs web page, and Facebook made it into a help wanted post through which people could apply. We don't take applications through Facebook, so I had to message the one guy who tried to apply that way to tell him to follow the link in the post.

Basically, the things Facebook says it does to make things easier for people do not make it easier for me. They only make it more complicated to do the simple thing I want to do.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

@auntlada there should be an ex or an option to "turn off recommendations" either on the post itself (towards the bottom near the comments section) or in the menu.

Thank you. I saw that but was afraid that if I clicked on it, my post would be deleted, and then I'd have to submit it for approval all over again.

One of the leasing agents at my apartment complex left a message on my voice mail at 5:15 this afternoon. The office closes at 5:30 and I didn't get the message until after 6, when I was on my break (because unlike every other employee, I don't keep my phone on me at work, but that's another peeve).

Anyway, the message said, "This is so-and-so at your leasing office. This isn't an emergency, but it is important that I speak with you at your earliest convenience." People, don't leave messages like this! JUST TELL ME WHAT IT IS IN THE MESSAGE! I've been worried about it ever since I heard the message and will be worried about it all night until I can call them in the morning. I will tell them that it's shitty to leave a message like that considering the pending renovations/lease uncertainty situation. I'm fully expecting them to tell me I have to move. I did make sure to get the lease fully executed, so as far as I know, they have to buy me out of it if they are making me move. I'm getting way ahead of things, but THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T LEAVE AMBIGUOUS MESSAGES.

• Love 4

Sorry, @bilgistic. Being put in suspense like that is so thoughtless.

My brother-in-law recently had a few medical tests including a 48 hour home EEG. His neurologist's office called on a Friday after they got the results to say they needed to see him right away on Monday morning.

Like that wasn't upsetting over the weekend?

Turns out his MRI showed severe arthritis in his hip and the neuro wanted to refer him for that. 

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

People, don't leave messages like this! JUST TELL ME WHAT IT IS IN THE MESSAGE!

Word.  My mother once left me a message that she was at the ER with my dad.  That's it.  I missed it by about ten minutes.  And, of course, when I tried to call her back on her cell, I couldn't get through, because by then they were where cell phone use wasn't allowed.  I didn't know whether he'd had a heart attack, cut off his hand while sawing something, what.

Thankfully, it was something far less serious -- which I found out after canceling a meeting and driving to the hospital.  I'm not sure I've ever had to work harder to keep myself in check than upon waiting to be admitted entrance, bursting into the room, getting a brief answer to my "What's wrong?" question and then ascertaining, "So, wait, [this happened]?  Nothing more and it's X cause and we just learn how best to treat it?" before letting myself launch into my "What the actual fuck is wrong with you, scaring me like that?!" rant.

I even played her the message next time she was at my house, so she could hear how her words - delivered in her "this is my worried voice" tone - made that a completely inappropriate lack of information to leave when I wouldn't be able to reach her for a follow up.

@bilgistic, I hope this, too, is something you'll look back on as an avoidable clusterfuck caused by thoughtlessness but with no lingering effect.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

My mother once left me a message that she was at the ER with my dad.  That's it.  I missed it by about ten minutes. 

My mother always leaves cryptic messages "Call me back as soon as you get this!" and when I call back in a panic she says "Oh, I wanted that recipe you made at Christmas." OMG. I tell her to leave a full message, that way I can gauge the importance and prioritize it accordingly but no, she still leaves those messages. Sadly I may actually miss an important event/issue because now I choose to call when I have time instead of rushing.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I finally trained my parents to start their messages with "nothing is wrong", especially when they call me in the middle of the afternoon during the week!

I talk to my mom every sunday night.  If she calls me any other time I answer the phone "what's wrong?  who died?"  Luckily the answer so far every time has been nothing, nobody.  It's actually weird, because I've had 3 grandparents die as an adult and she actually didn't call me at an odd time with any of those. The first one died on a  Sunday, she called me, chit-chatted a few minutes and said "by the way, your grandmother died (her mother)." I was like, gee, mom, you would think you would have led with that.  The second time, I called my mom to tell her I was home from vaca and my grandfather had died earlier that day.  And, the third one, I don't even remember, but I already knew she was going to die imminently, so maybe she did call, but I knew why.

(edited)

Gah! I had to call the leasing office twice to get ahold of the agent who called me. (He didn't return my first call.) He asked if I was planning to renew my lease. Dude, come on. I renewed last month. He said "the system" is showing that I'm on month-to-month. How is that possible when I paid my regular rent (through "the system") for this month and it was the monthly rate for the year? One hand doesn't know what the other is doing over there.

So...if I now have the theoretical option to renew, which I initially didn't have last month, what happened to the planned renovations???

Edited by bilgistic

Discovered recently that the local Greenville News is up to $2.50 for a daily paper; that was the price before for the Sunday edition (I think the Sunday one might be now at $3, perhaps more); even the New York Times gives you more for what its cover price is, both daily ($3) and Sunday ($6)!

Here's a shot of the cover; the cover price is blurry, but I just wanted to show you what I was talking about.

outrageouspaperprice.jpg

OK, this may be totally ignored by those who think 'it can't happen to me' but I already saw someone doing it in my neck of the woods so here goes:  When mowing your yard, please make sure to wear sturdy, closed-toed SHOES, not flip-flops,backless crocs or bare feet. That's because, unless your name happens to be Clark Kent and you're a mild mannered reporter with a not-so-secret ID,  those stainless steel blades whizzing around countless RPMs that can cut down bamboo shoots and small  saplings can EASILY slice off one's toes in an instant! Seriously, an hour with hot sweaty feet in sturdy shoes to mow the lawn is FAR preferable to chancing spending the  rest of one's life not able to effectively walk or run due to missing toes and/or seriously mutilated feet. Thanks for your time. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Discovered recently that the local Greenville News is up to $2.50 for a daily paper; that was the price before for the Sunday edition (I think the Sunday one might be now at $3, perhaps more); even the New York Times gives you more for what its cover price is, both daily ($3) and Sunday ($6)!

Here's a shot of the cover; the cover price is blurry, but I just wanted to show you what I was talking about.

outrageouspaperprice.jpg

I only know this because we sell it at work—the Sunday Charlotte Observer is $4. I don't remember how much the weekday edition is. It rarely sells.

• Love 1

OK, docs operating private clinics: If you give patients instructions to call the office to page the on-call physician 'in case of emergency', either have one at the ready to answer said calls OR supply the patients with a physician they can call not working at your clinic if you can't get an on-call physician from your practice  to be at the ready when your office is closed. DO NOT just have the recorded message automatically say 'Goodbye!' then hang up when patients call needing instructions for follow-up care and punch the number that's supposed to connect patients with the on-call physician. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I only know this because we sell it at work—the Sunday Charlotte Observer is $4. I don't remember how much the weekday edition is. It rarely sells.

Last I recall, the daily Observer was $2.

21 hours ago, Blergh said:

OK, this may be totally ignored by those who think 'it can't happen to me' but I already saw someone doing it in my neck of the woods so here goes:  When mowing your yard, please make sure to wear sturdy, closed-toed SHOES, not flip-flops,backless crocs or bare feet. That's because, unless your name happens to be Clark Kent and you're a mild mannered reporter with a not-so-secret ID,  those stainless steel blades whizzing around countless RPMs that can cut down bamboo shoots and small  saplings can EASILY slice off one's toes in an instant! Seriously, an hour with hot sweaty feet in sturdy shoes to mow the lawn is FAR preferable to chancing spending the  rest of one's life not able to effectively walk or run due to missing toes and/or seriously mutilated feet. Thanks for your time. 

Here's another one. In the spring when the grass grows quickly, it's a good idea to walk around and look for rabbit dens. My husband found one right in the middle of the front yard. I shudder to think what would have happened to those five baby bunnies if he had mowed over that den.

• Love 4

This isn't really a peeve but I'm super annoyed about it. I'm looking into buying a town home. After years of scrimping I finally dug myself out of debt but as a result, I haven't spent decades saving for a down-payment and don't have much and I make too much for down payment assistance so I'm stuck in the endless cycle of renting and sure, now I can save but it will be at least years before I have 10% to put down, let alone 20.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

In the spring when the grass grows quickly, it's a good idea to walk around and look for rabbit dens. My husband found one right in the middle of the front yard. I shudder to think what would have happened to those five baby bunnies if he had mowed over that den

My husband doesn't have to imagine. He accidentally mowed over a rabbit den hidden deep in a wild area of our backyard.  Yes, they will indeed pop their heads up to see what the noise is.  

On 5/11/2019 at 6:45 PM, Blergh said:

When mowing your yard, please make sure to wear sturdy, closed-toed SHOES, not flip-flops,backless crocs or bare feet.

Back when I had a yard to mow regularly, not only did I wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes (not that I ever wear open-toe shoes) but I also wore a long sleeved shirt, hearing protection, and eye protection.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Back when I had a yard to mow regularly, not only did I wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes (not that I ever wear open-toe shoes) but I also wore a long sleeved shirt, hearing protection, and eye protection.

GOOD for you! Yep, not only does the Good Lord only give us humans  ten toes but only a pair each of eyes and ears so it's vital to protect them while mowing the lawn regardless how one may prefer to be in the altogether  heat and humidity! 

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Here's another one. In the spring when the grass grows quickly, it's a good idea to walk around and look for rabbit dens. My husband found one right in the middle of the front yard. I shudder to think what would have happened to those five baby bunnies if he had mowed over that den.

Another good point! Not to mention what might have happened had your husband's foot crashed through said den while he was pushing that mower!

• Love 5

Franz Joseph Haydn is driving me insane.  My chorus concert was on Saturday, and it was Haydn's Seasons.  The Autumn section includes a drinking song with a horribly infectious rhythm, and it's been stuck in my head for two weeks now and shows no sign of leaving.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Why do restaurants do this? Have a little symbol on the menu that indicates if an item is vegetarian (good, I like this, the symbol is helpful) but then use it inconsistently? For example, throughout the main menu items that are vegetarian have a V. But then suddenly, there's one item that by its name seems like it should be vegetarian, and nothing in the ingredient list indicates it shouldn't be vegetarian, but it has no V. So I figure it must be cooked in some way that guarantees cross contamination (like a doughnut in the same fryer as chicken or something) and I appreciate that some would not want that and others would be OK with it anyway. But then I ask the server why it isn't vegetarian and they say it is. So now I either can't trust the menu or can't trust the server. If the server said "well it's cooked on shared equipment but otherwise it would be", that's different. But nope. Server insists it's totally vegetarian, even though the menu doesn't say it is.

OR the even more confusing inconsistent use of the symbol: there is an appetizer that has no V, so it must not be vegetarian, but it's not obvious why it isn't. But then on a different page is an entree that comes with a side of that appetizer and that entree has the V! So is it that the entree without the side would be? Or are they just undecided about whether the app/side is?

Then there's also the problem of dessert sections that contain nothing labeled vegetarian, and maybe you think "well they figure with desserts it doesn't need an indicator because they generally are" except one of the desserts contains bacon...so that one isn't...but the other things don't seem like they ought to contain lard or gelatin...so why aren't the rest?

There is no point in using the label if it's not applied consistently.

• Love 8

I had my annual physical this morning at the crack of dawn (8:40, which for me is the crack of dawn because I work mostly midday to late night). I got the usual "you need to exercise" spiel despite my having lost about 25 pounds from my highest weight (I haven't tried to; it's just from the physical rigors of work) and being on my feet eight hours a day four to six days a week. Doctor: "I work about 60 hours a week, but still work out four times a week." OK, great. Do you want a trophy? All I want to do is sleep when I'm not working, but thanks for your concern.

• Love 10
24 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Doctor: "I work about 60 hours a week, but still work out four times a week."

He also makes 8 times what you do, and probably isn't solely responsible for shopping, cooking, cleaning, child (pet) care, etc. but that's not important...🙄

• Love 17
(edited)

Gotta love this. I went to the gynecologist as follow up for an issue.

Dr: Are you single?

Me: Yes, but I have a boyfriend. ( I started seeing a new guy a few months ago).

Dr:Do you want kids?

Me: No. (And I really don't at this point, with my health.)

Dr: Ok, lets talk about getting you an IUD. (Goes into the benefits on IUD).

Me: Ok, I'll think about it. I think I'm infertile anyway (I explain why).

Dr: Oh, ok. By the way, does your boyfriend want children?

Me: He's on the fence about it (and he is--he's not really sure if he wants kids or not).

Dr: OK, well I am going to recommend you go to an IVF specialist so they can find out the cause of your infertility.

Me.: .....But I don't want kids.

Dr: But HE MIGHT want kids so you should get a head-start on your fertility issues right away, given your age (I'm 35, going into 36).

I'm gobsmacked as he starts recommending doctors to contact. WTF? He really thinks I am going to spend thousands on fertility treatments for a man that MIGHT want children, and we might not be together  if and when he decides he does want children? That its ok for me to be ok with being infertile as long as I'm single with no boyfriend, but if I'm single with a boyfriend that changes? I just couldn't believe it!

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 3

I wish there was an angry reaction face here. @AgentRXS how old is that Dr? I'm in some Childfree groups on Facebook and too many of the women in them have stories like yours about Drs. Female Drs seem to do this to their female patients too. I don't know why it's so hard for some Drs to understand that there are women out there who don't want kids. Women can get things put in and taken out of other areas of their bodies without issue but when it comes to our reproductive system too many people still seem to think we can't manage what goes on in that area ourselves.

• Love 11

He's older....been a gyno since like 1975 or something. He's been pretty professional thus far so while its not a surprising attitude for his age, its still disappointing.

• Love 2
On 5/13/2019 at 1:14 PM, EighteenTwelve said:

Franz Joseph Haydn is driving me insane.  My chorus concert was on Saturday, and it was Haydn's Seasons.  The Autumn section includes a drinking song with a horribly infectious rhythm, and it's been stuck in my head for two weeks now and shows no sign of leaving.

Sometimes I just have to hum or sing a song over and over to get it out of my head. I'm in my 60s now, but I still recall when I was about 5 doing this in the backyard until the boy next door came over and told me to stop. LOL.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

This is tangentially related to the doctor discussion, but not really.  I have a neurological condition that I was born with. It's not a particular rare condition, but adults with it are red-headed stepchildren, and so therefore I cannot find a doctor who knows what to do with me. Most people (doctors included) assume that individuals with this physical disability also have a mental impairment as well (I don't), so it's been a struggle to get someone to listen to me that my condition is deteriorating as I age.  "But it's non-progressive!" they say.  Fuck you, I know my body, and I cannot move around like I used to.  

Well, I finally found a neurologist that I love, who was immediately on board with giving botox a shot (9 shots, to be precise), and it is really helping.  I can't tell you how happy I have been about this.  I can move again.  I can walk more normally.  I can wiggle my big toe!  Yes, this is a big deal for me. Hah.

The other day I find out my employer is changing our insurance carrier to Aetna effective July 1st.  Fuck me.  Aetna is garbage insurance with high copays that doesn't cover botox unless you meet a whole host of ridiculous criteria, not the least of which is they only approve it for pediatric use.  Seeing as how I'm 40, this is a problem.  

I've tried medication, and am still on one. I've done physical therapy.  Nothing helps as much as the botox that I've been getting. And now I'm fucked.  Cigna paid 100%, and I didn't even have a copay.  Aetna isn't going to pay squat. I want to cry.  Botox is not cheap. 

• Love 3

janestclair, I get botox shots in my jaw to help with headaches due to grinding my teeth in my sleep. I've found it's cheaper to have it done at my dermatologist's office and use the stupid little botox rewards program to garner points/money off. I don't know if that's an option for you or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, janestclair said:

This is tangentially related to the doctor discussion, but not really.  I have a neurological condition that I was born with. It's not a particular rare condition, but adults with it are red-headed stepchildren, and so therefore I cannot find a doctor who knows what to do with me. Most people (doctors included) assume that individuals with this physical disability also have a mental impairment as well (I don't), so it's been a struggle to get someone to listen to me that my condition is deteriorating as I age.  "But it's non-progressive!" they say.  Fuck you, I know my body, and I cannot move around like I used to.  

Well, I finally found a neurologist that I love, who was immediately on board with giving botox a shot (9 shots, to be precise), and it is really helping.  I can't tell you how happy I have been about this.  I can move again.  I can walk more normally.  I can wiggle my big toe!  Yes, this is a big deal for me. Hah.

The other day I find out my employer is changing our insurance carrier to Aetna effective July 1st.  Fuck me.  Aetna is garbage insurance with high copays that doesn't cover botox unless you meet a whole host of ridiculous criteria, not the least of which is they only approve it for pediatric use.  Seeing as how I'm 40, this is a problem.  

I've tried medication, and am still on one. I've done physical therapy.  Nothing helps as much as the botox that I've been getting. And now I'm fucked.  Cigna paid 100%, and I didn't even have a copay.  Aetna isn't going to pay squat. I want to cry.  Botox is not cheap. 

For what it's worth I have Aetna and  get Botox for migraine and they cover it.   I can't speak for your specific plan but it's worth looking into    

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I had Cigna with my last job and got Botox shots for migraines for about a year. The next year, Cigna wouldn't approve the shots. I have different insurance (BCBS) now through the Marketplace, but I can't afford the copays, so I haven't even tried to get my neurologist to get the shots approved.

3 hours ago, emma675 said:

janestclair, I get botox shots in my jaw to help with headaches due to grinding my teeth in my sleep. I've found it's cheaper to have it done at my dermatologist's office and use the stupid little botox rewards program to garner points/money off. I don't know if that's an option for you or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there. 

I will definitely look into this.  There's so many different conditions listed on the pre-certification form, and the condition I'm getting it for has the highest amount of hoops to jump through to get it covered.  It's bullshit.  I mean honestly, why would I (or anyone) willingly be getting 9 injections into my legs every 12 weeks, of what I'm fairly sure is the most potent toxin known to man, if it wasn't actually helping? Insurance companies should not be making treatment decisions.

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I had Cigna with my last job and got Botox shots for migraines for about a year. The next year, Cigna wouldn't approve the shots. I have different insurance (BCBS) now through the Marketplace, but I can't afford the copays, so I haven't even tried to get my neurologist to get the shots approved.

Also bullshit.  What good is insurance that you can't afford to fucking use?  Why is healthcare in this country so fucked? It makes me rage.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, janestclair said:

Insurance companies should not be making treatment decisions.

Amen to that.

Mine sent me a home test for fecal occult blood and wanted me to mail it directly back to them. Without any involvement from my doctor, mind you. It's infuriating.

• Love 7

Driving peeve: When you're at a stop and a person with blindingly bright lights pulls up behind you, so you inch up as much as possible to lower the glare, and they inch up as well. Douchebags, if you feel you need those lights to drive at night, then do the rest of us a favor, and keep yourself an appropriate distance behind the driver in front of you when at a stop. Don't get right on someone's ass and blind the shit out of them. Ugh, I hate people.

• Love 9

People need to act their age.  Two women (or should I call them girls, due to their maturity level?) at my table were acting like teenagers at an awards banquet last night.  During speeches.  One girl showed the other something on her phone and they started giggling fairly audibly.  Fine, check your phone.  Other people were doing that.  But don't laugh like you're, I don't know, 12 years old and at a slumber party.  One of them looked like she was around my age (pushing 40!).  

• Love 5

@PRgal just reminded me of one of my pet peeves at the gym: I go to the gym to work out, I have gone with a friend or my daughters on several occasions, on none of those occassions did I feel it necessary to carry on a full volume conversation, over top of the sound of the treadmills/elipticals/weight machines, so that everyone within a 5 ft area can hear that my sisters's best friend's neighbor's daughter is quitting school to move to California. Or that they made THE MOST DELICIOUS casserole for the church picnic last Sunday. Or that the doctor said that growth on her inner thigh is infected and will need to be lanced. And it's always women that I experience this with, wth? If you have the breath and the time to have such major discussions, then maybe a gym isn't the best place for you, maybe you should go to a coffee shop or a walking track at the local park. 

• Love 5

@janestclair your doctor should be able to help you get in touch with a patient advocate. If you're already been receiving this treatment and it's working there are supposed to be provisions that you don't have to jump through all the hoops with a different insurance company. Talk with a professional before completely freaking out (I would be freaking out too)

@GoodieGirl - I can't deal with that level of noise from either gender or the asshats who decide to take a conference call while on a cardio machine (I loathe the commercial that shows a dude on the phone at the gym). I used to take out my ear buds, interrupt the loudies and tell them I'm listening to my music, or action movie at full volume and can still hear them clearly and it's usually enough to get them to lower their volume or move on.

• Love 4

@theredhead77 I wish I had your guts, there have been several times where I could hear the full conversation over the music on my earbuds and have wanted to let them know but since I go to a gym that is a "no judgement zone" I was afraid that would be considered judging. I have talked to the kids at the desk, they are sympathetic but I can tell they have zero interest in getting involved. I am just amazed that people who pay money to work out basically use the gym as if it were their personal kitchen table. When I want to discuss issues with my bestie we get a glass of wine, sit on the couch and hash it all out. I would be embarassed to do it loud enough where 30 perfect strangers know what my doctor found at my last gyn appointment. 

And don't get me started on the conversations I've been subjected to in the locker room....

• Love 2