Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

On 1/29/2019 at 5:57 PM, bilgistic said:

I really wish employers who pay low wages would be cognizant the burden it puts on employees to find and buy specific clothing for work.

Not that you don't already know this, but if they cared about how hard it was for you to buy your work clothes they'd care about how hard it was for you to pay your rent and bills on their low wages.

ETA:  just wanted to add, hang tight bilgistic, I've been there with the job you don't want but is so much better than  having no money at all  coming in.   You will find a nicer job.  I know it. 

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 6
On 1/31/2019 at 10:45 AM, Blergh said:

Here's my Pet Peeve: Folks who think they can tell/guilt others into how they are to distribute their assets  upon their deaths.  

On 1/31/2019 at 11:09 AM, Katy M said:

Worse than that is when people actually have the audacity to contest a will.  It is not your money. It was never your money. You are not entitled to the money of others, dead relative or not.

My brother is a horrible person, he was spoiled by my mother growing up, as an adult he is a selfish jerk who cares only about himself. It would take too long to list all of his indiscretions and stupid moves, suffice to say my parents have bailed him out of many, many problems (credit card debt, DUI's, car liens, etc.). He has the nerve to get mad when my parents plan a vacation because they are spending "my inheritance!" I told him he shouldn't expect a dime from them, and if there was money left, and if it were legal, I would subtract what he owes my parents from his portion and he'd get only what was left.

• Love 8

I think I've complained about this before, but I'm going to do it again. People who tell you you don't "get" something because you don't like the same book/movie, whatever, as they do.  You can "get" something and still not like it.  That's not to say you can't discuss and debate such things, but it's pretty dismissive to tell somebody they don't get something just based on the comment "I didn't like it."

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I think I've complained about this before, but I'm going to do it again. People who tell you you don't "get" something because you don't like the same book/movie, whatever, as they do.  You can "get" something and still not like it.  That's not to say you can't discuss and debate such things, but it's pretty dismissive to tell somebody they don't get something just based on the comment "I didn't like it."

Like all these stupid superhero movies?

• Love 2

I'm peeved by the expectations that come from destination weddings. It's lovely that you're getting married in a tropical destination, but don't pressure people into spending $1000+ just to GET TO YOUR WEDDING! Plus, the cost of clothing, time off/vacation, gift, hair, etc, etc.

• Love 17

Was washing some dishes last night that can't go in the dishwasher.  One was my really big cup I use for soup and another was one of my small soy sauce dishes.  Somehow the soy sauce dish managed to get into the cup and is now stuck.  I've tried a variety of ways to get them separated, but no luck so far.  Someone on the internet says to put dried chickpeas in between and add water.  The theory is as the chickpeas re-hydrate, they will expand and push the dishes apart.

I'll be buying chickpeas this morning.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Stenbeck said:

I'm peeved by the expectations that come from destination weddings. It's lovely that you're getting married in a tropical destination, but don't pressure people into spending $1000+ just to GET TO YOUR WEDDING! Plus, the cost of clothing, time off/vacation, gift, hair, etc, etc.

12 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I can’t even imagine expecting people to pay as much as it would cost to attend one.  

I always thought people have destination weddings (or weddings at non traditional times, like 2pm on a Wednesday) as a way to keep the guest list down and save money. On the flip side of that is it comes across as a major gift grab: we know our wedding is done at a time and/or location that is massively inconvenient to most everyone but send us gifts because you were invited and chose not to come.

• Love 5

If the purpose of a destination wedding is to keep wedding guests at a minimum and so reduce the overall cost, why not invite only those people that you actually want to attend, and just send wedding announcements to other interested parties?  It’s been a few decades since my first (formal) wedding, but at that time, in addition to wedding invitations there was also the option to order wedding announcements. They looked like the invitations, but the text made it clear the wedding had already occurred. I was told they were for use with people that weren’t invited to the ceremony, but who still would want to know the marriage had taken place. For example, that 2nd cousin that you’re not really close to would get an announcement. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Stenbeck said:

In defense of the destination wedding, I had one myself yet I certainly didn’t expect anyone to make special plans to attend; honestly, I was the one who just wanted to elope in Vegas(I’m not a fan of big weddings and consider them mega wasteful). My husband was enough of a groomzilla to want some sort of ceremony for anyone who wanted to come, so my compromise was agreeing for us to get married in a very simple little ceremony on the beach of St. Thomas as a sort of wedding/honeymoon combo. We just tossed out a random Facebook invite and I honestly didn’t give a damn who came; what small family I do have weren’t able to make it for various valid reasons and my friends couldn’t make it due to timing/work commitments. Fortunately my husband had a small group of family/friends who were willing to make it there and viewed it as a great excuse to enjoy a random November getaway, so it all worked out in the end. I was still a little bitter about it at the time because it felt so weird and almost embarrassing to have everyone there just for him and nobody there just for me, but hey, that was my first real taste of how a successful marriage is all about learning how to compromise.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, BookWoman56 said:

They looked like the invitations, but the text made it clear the wedding had already occurred. I was told they were for use with people that weren’t invited to the ceremony, but who still would want to know the marriage had taken place. For example, that 2nd cousin that you’re not really close to would get an announcement. 

I think this is a great idea. Some friends of ours went even more informal, and sent out printed postcards with their photos on them, and their new address.  It was clear this was just to let various acquaintances know they'd gotten married, and wasn't any kind of a gift grab.   

• Love 3
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I always thought people have destination weddings (or weddings at non traditional times, like 2pm on a Wednesday) as a way to keep the guest list down and save money. On the flip side of that is it comes across as a major gift grab: we know our wedding is done at a time and/or location that is massively inconvenient to most everyone but send us gifts because you were invited and chose not to come.

many years ago, my parents were invited to a wedding of a distant relative who lived across the country.   This was someone they had met maybe twice, when he was a child.   We all tried to tell my parents that they were sent the invitation in order to elicit a gift, that the couple didn't really expect them to attend the wedding.  My parents didn't believe that anyone would do that, they felt OBLIGATED to attend the wedding.  My dad was retired and had heart problems, we urged him not to make the trip, for health reasons, but he wouldn't hear of it.   He drove, with my mom, from Chicago to Arizona, to attend the wedding.  Two days driving to get there, two days to drive back, to attend a wedding where the only people they knew were the groom's parents (who expressed surprise that they showed up)  Nobody else came from Illinois, where the groom's family had lived previously.  

I was worried about them making the trip - long drives are not good for anyone with circulatory issues.   But when they arrived home safely, I got a good laugh about this couple, who ended thought they were getting gifts from people who would not make the trip, and ended up with two guests they didn't know.  (my parents didn't even give them a substantial gift, since the trip there was so costly). 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Stenbeck said:

I keep hearing from young people about how elaborate all the wedding-related events are.   gone are the days when a "bachelor party"  was just a bunch of guys getting drunk at a bar the night before one of them got married.  It has evolved into Bachelor and bachelorette parties that involve a trip to Vegas, or Mexico,  or a cruise, or at the very least a suite of hotel rooms in the city, with gifts, dinners, champagne.   I actually think that people today spend more on the pre-wedding festivities than I spent on my wedding.  

I hear about destination weddings, but haven't been invited to one (yet).  I think I would gauge it by how much I liked the couple, how much I wanted to go to the location, and whether or not the date worked with my schedule.  I have a limited vacation budget, and if attending a destination wedding would mean I would have to skip going somewhere I wanted to go, then no thanks.  

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 5
45 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

I was worried about them making the trip - long drives are not good for anyone with circulatory issues.   But when they arrived home safely, I got a good laugh about this couple, who ended thought they were getting gifts from people who would not make the trip, and ended up with two guests they didn't know.  (my parents didn't even give them a substantial gift, since the trip there was so costly). 

Well, I hope they stopped a lot (due to the circulation issues) and saw some sights and had a good time.  I've made two half-cross country trips for weddings.  Now, I hope I wasn't unwanted:)

33 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

I hear about destination weddings, but haven't been invited to one (yet).  I think I would gauge it by how much I liked the couple, how much I wanted to go to the location, and whether or not the date worked with my schedule.  I have a limited vacation budget, and if attending a destination wedding would mean I would have to skip going somewhere I wanted to go, then no thanks.  

My sister's first wedding was at Disney world.  She was only allowed 10 guests.  I just barely made the cut as the maid of honor decided that her boyfriend could just come to the lunch afterwards.  Her second wedding wasn't really destination as it was about an hour from where she lived, and it was just really inconvenient for me to get there.  No direct flight, a couple of hours drive on each end to the airport, etc, meaning that it was going to take 14 hours each way and it wasn't a good time at work to take a 3 day weekend, much less a 4 day one, so I skipped it.  I felt semi-guilty, but you can only do what you can do. 

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 4

After the last family wedding, I told my last unmarried nephew that if he does get married, I'll be skyping in. He's cool with it (he's my favorite). It's not the 7 hour drive each way, or a gift, or the service, it's the reception that I have trouble with. I would've skipped the last 2 but my siblings and their spouses would've been hurt.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Katy M said:

My sister's first wedding was at Disney world.  She was only allowed 10 guests.  I just barely made the cut as the maid of honor decided that her boyfriend could just come to the lunch afterwards.  Her second wedding wasn't really destination as it was about an hour from where she lived, and it was just really inconvenient for me to get there.  No direct flight, a couple of hours drive on each end to the airport, etc, meaning that it was going to take 14 hours each way and it wasn't a good time at work to take a 3 day weekend, much less a 4 day one, so I skipped it.  I felt semi-guilty, but you can only do what you can do. 

That was a smart move on your part, to skip a wedding that required quite a few inconvenient steps travel-wise to get to where it was being held!

Edited by bmasters9
23 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Was washing some dishes last night that can't go in the dishwasher.  One was my really big cup I use for soup and another was one of my small soy sauce dishes.  Somehow the soy sauce dish managed to get into the cup and is now stuck.  I've tried a variety of ways to get them separated, but no luck so far.  Someone on the internet says to put dried chickpeas in between and add water.  The theory is as the chickpeas re-hydrate, they will expand and push the dishes apart.

I'll be buying chickpeas this morning.

Chickpea Update:   There was barely enough room to slide the dried chickpeas in between the two dishes, so that was a concern.  I had put them in and added cold water to soak around 2 PM yesterday.  I checked on things a couple of times in the evening and things hadn't become unstuck so I was thinking this may not work.  I checked this morning and it looked like the soy sauce dish had shifted just a bit - really just a smidge - but I decided to see if it was enough.  And it was!  So very happy!

• Love 11
18 hours ago, Katy M said:

Well, I hope they stopped a lot (due to the circulation issues) and saw some sights and had a good time.  I've made two half-cross country trips for weddings.  Now, I hope I wasn't unwanted:)

Personal opinions :  Close family get one wedding they where you should feel obligated and do what you can to attend.  After that, its more up to the attendees to decide.  I know people get divorced, things happen, but still.......second weddings are not the same as first weddings, IMO. 

When my wife and I were married, his brother and sister in law did not attend because we chose to get married on their anniversary, which made her sister in law mad.  We really had no choice in the matter, it was the only day we could get married based on my job schedule, which was tight.  We didn't purposely do it to make her mad, I actually I had no idea it was their anniversary. My sister's anniversary is around the same time, for all I knew it could have been the same day as hers too.  Didn't matter, we had one day where it could happen. 

• Love 3

I have a Cal-King mattress and live on the east coast so buying a bed has been challenging..

I ordered bed from Macy's back in November and it's not supposed to be delivered until March. Why takes so long is beyond me but that was the date when I placed the order so I did go into it with that expectation.

I wanted to change the method of payment from one card to a new card I'm trying to hit a minimum spend on. In order to do that I have to cancel the entire order and start over. And if I do that there is no guarantee I won't have an even longer wait. No payment has been made, no deposit has been placed and I cannot understand why they can't do another pre-authorization to ensure the card is good and proceed.

So I went over to Ashley to see about buying a similar style there. I saw it last year and they said they could order the Cal-King, it would take a few weeks. I didn't buy it then because I couldn't afford it. And now they discontinued the Cal-King size in that bed. My options are buy the king size and it doesn't fit perfectly (it would be close but not perfect) or buy a new mattress. My mattress is a 7 y/o Temperpedic that I'm not ready to replace. 

I'm peeved at Macy's and I'm peeved at myself.

Meh.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My mattress is a 7 y/o Temperpedic that I'm not ready to replace. 

I'm confused and/or under-caffeinated.  Why are you replacing your existing mattress if you are not ready?

• Love 3
On 2/7/2019 at 8:18 AM, DeLurker said:

I'm confused and/or under-caffeinated.  Why are you replacing your existing mattress if you are not ready?

I'm not. The bed portion (headboard, frame and foot-board) in the style I want only comes in King, not Cal-King. They discontinued the Cal-King size last year and I'm peeved at myself for waiting. I can't use a King frame with a Cal-King bed.

This peeve spawned off my peeve at Macy's for being a huge PITA.

Also chiming in to defend the destination wedding! We had one because I have a huge Irish Catholic family and saw my sister’s guest list *double* with extended family, and feelings were STILL hurt. I just didn’t want the hassle. We let *everyone* know that we were getting married in a small village in Greece and if people wanted to come, they could. Our best friends and close family all came, and it was intimate and beautiful—my dream wedding, really—and no one was offended at not being invited. 

(We specifically requested no gifts though to avoid the gift-grab thing.)

• Love 6
On 2/5/2019 at 9:03 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Personal opinions :  Close family get one wedding they where you should feel obligated and do what you can to attend.  After that, its more up to the attendees to decide.  I know people get divorced, things happen, but still.......second weddings are not the same as first weddings, IMO. 

Agreed! Unless you're a close friend or sibling/parent/child it seems like overkill to invite 100+ peeps to your 2nd or 3rd wedding. 

On 2/9/2019 at 11:56 AM, Pachengala said:

Also chiming in to defend the destination wedding! We had one because I have a huge Irish Catholic family and saw my sister’s guest list *double* with extended family, and feelings were STILL hurt. I just didn’t want the hassle. We let *everyone* know that we were getting married in a small village in Greece and if people wanted to come, they could. Our best friends and close family all came, and it was intimate and beautiful—my dream wedding, really—and no one was offended at not being invited. 

(We specifically requested no gifts though to avoid the gift-grab thing.)

I am getting married in June - my 2nd marriage! I wanted to elope but my fiance really wants a BBQ style gathering so I relented. We are invitng 45 people and they truly are close friends and family (and there is a "no gifts needed" statement since we are consolidating households and won't need or want more stuff). My mother & father have dropped hints about inviting some friends of theirs, friends I know but don't socialize with or have any close ties too. I told them that 29 years ago they got to give me the big white wedding of their dreams, this time I'm doing it my way.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GoodieGirl said:

I am getting married in June - my 2nd marriage! I wanted to elope but my fiance really wants a BBQ style gathering so I relented. We are invitng 45 people and they truly are close friends and family.

I told them that 29 years ago they got to give me the big white wedding of their dreams, this time I'm doing it my way.  

That’s so exciting—congratulations! I can just imagine all the love and joy you’re going to have on your day. You can tell when you’re at a wedding that truly reflects the couple and is truly a celebration of their love and commitment. Have the best day!

• Love 3

I need new shoes for work, and I know exactly what I want. I can't get what I want, though, because Rockport doesn't make that style of oxford for women any more. I can't find what I want in town (I've looked in every shoe store we have), and I'm iffy about buying shoes online without trying them on first. I know there are places with free return shipping, but it's a hassle to have to return something that way. Also, it's hard to tell from pictures exactly how the soles of the shoes look in relation to the rest of the shoe. They all look clunky, but it's hard to tell for sure.

• Love 1

If I see the typed phrase "fine as is" from a copywriter or client rep in response to an editorial correction I make...

When I make a correction, it is typically, you know, correct. If there is a valid reason that "we" are not making said correction to the piece(s) we are working on, one should say something other than the unhelpful and dismissive "fine as is," because if it was fine as is, I would not have marked it up...dicks.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

If I see the typed phrase "fine as is" from a copywriter or client rep in response to an editorial correction I make...

When I make a correction, it is typically, you know, correct. If there is a valid reason that "we" are not making said correction to the piece(s) we are working on, one should say something other than the unhelpful and dismissive "fine as is," because if it was fine as is, I would not have marked it up...dicks.

I do technical document reviews and it drives me nuts when people provide the additional information I've asked for in a comment instead of in the body of the document.  Hello????  You authors do realize that all the comments are removed before the document is sent for final approval, right?

• Love 3

I (or anther editor if I'm not around) have to review it again when a change is made, so the comments are still there (we use a thing called ProofHQ), which is good because should we get dinged for not fixing something, I have proof that I asked if it could be changed. Sometimes there are weird reasons (often client preference) for leaving shit alone, but because editors don't work directly with clients, we are at the mercy of writers or client services to let us know.

The last-straw sentence today was in a convention invitation thing: "Stop by [Client Name] Booth #65," which implies that Client has more than one booth. Also, that "#" is unnecessary.

Edited by TattleTeeny
29 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

The last-straw sentence today was in a convention invitation thing: "Stop by [Client Name] Booth #65," which implies that Client has more than one booth. Also, that "#" is unnecessary.

OK, now I have to know.  We display at conventions and always say stop by our booth #65.  I've never thought anybody would think that we have more than one booth.  What's the proper way to invite someone to a booth?

55 minutes ago, Katy M said:

OK, now I have to know.  We display at conventions and always say stop by our booth #65.  I've never thought anybody would think that we have more than one booth.  What's the proper way to invite someone to a booth?

Usually, we'd just parenthesize the booth or include the number with the heading that has the dates and times, etc, or recast the sentence so that its format is more like, "Stop by booth 12 and learn more about Client and blah blah blah." Mainly--and I neglected to mention this before--it should match the wording in companion pieces, which this one does not (but, oh, if we miss that, it's suddenly an issue).

I would assume that "fine as is" is code for "I'm in charge and I want it left the way I wrote it, whether it's correct or not."

(Sorry, I'm a graphic designer who has worked with lots of persnickety clients, writers, and editors.)

OH, YES, I GET IT! Some writers feel that every word is spun gold, even when it's not "art," but instead instructional or something that needs to be precise as opposed to entertaining.

I did my taxes today. I haven't filed though because I owe $1300(!!) in federal and $500 in state taxes. I owe because I didn't withhold taxes when I took distributions from my small IRA, which was formerly my 401(k) from my last job. (No, that wasn't the smartest decision, but I needed the money and hoped I'd have a full-time, decent-paying job by the time I had to file my taxes. FML.) Virtually all of the IRA money was spent on medical needs, so the tax penalty is not as bad as it could be, but considering I made only $2500 last year (started working part-time in October), it still feels pretty crappy that I owe way more than I make in a month.

I'm working like a mule now, so there's that. I just worked seven days straight between my two jobs. It would be great if I made more than $90 a day. I'm so tired.

• Love 2

I'm outside the US and Canada...I'm peeved by geographically restricted videos.

What the fuck, Bravo? It's a stupid trailer for the Real Housewives I want to watch, not footage of secret government experiments. 

SNL's videos on YouTube are also geo-restricted. 

• Love 2

I hate unloading the dishwasher so much that I choose to hand wash dishes instead of dealing with it.

It's only me and there aren't that many dishes, but I don't know why it bugs me so much. Loading the dishwasher is fine.

I'm also fine with doing laundry but hate folding. Right now I have an armful of clean towels that's been dumped on my bedroom chair for three days.

It's something about the putting away of things ...

• Love 7

Unloading the dishwasher was one of my chores as a teen, so I hated it.  But now that I don't have a dishwasher, I greatly look forward to enduring that task again (which won't be until I remodel my kitchen).  Because it has nothing on how much I hate doing dishes.  And, even though it's just me, I cook a lot (and I work out of my home office most of the time, so it's two or occasionally three meals worth of dishes a day), so it adds up.  I can leave the breakfast and/or lunch dishes in the sink for the day, because those meals don't generate a whole lot to wash, but once all the pots, pans, mixing bowls, etc. from dinner are involved, it's a pile that must be washed before I can go to sleep.  So every damn night with the dishes.  I can't wait to be able to just shove them in the dishwasher and go to bed (something I take great joy in doing when I cat-sit at my parents' house).  And I don't like drying them with a towel, so I leave them to air dry in the rack, which means the first thing I have to do in the morning is put them away, because I can't stand clutter on my counters.

Folding/hanging and putting away is where laundry bugs me, too.  I never leave clean laundry sitting out while I procrastinate doing it, but I am notorious for leaving the last load in the dryer to "deal with later" and then forgetting all about it until the next time I do laundry; I wash the first load, open up the dryer to toss it in, and realize, "Dammit!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I have the two cats' dishes, so I refuse to live without a dishwasher. They get clean little plates for every meal. They eat at least three times a day, which means at least six plates. On days I'm off, it's four meals. They're starving, you know.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
19 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I have the two cats' dishes, so I refuse to live without a dishwasher. They get clean little plates for every meal. They eat at least three times a day, which means at least six plates. On days I'm off, it's four meals. They're starving, you know.

Cats are well known liars. At least mine are. 😜

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Cats are well known liars. At least mine are. 😜

I had a cat who apparently jumped on top of my book case and knocked it over. Obviously it was a small book case.  I came running in from the other room and she had the audacity to look right at me and say "I didn't do it."  Really? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I had a cat who apparently jumped on top of my book case and knocked it over. Obviously it was a small book case.  I came running in from the other room and she had the audacity to look right at me and say "I didn't do it."  Really? 

My DH feeds the cats before he goes to work in the morning. If I get up late (after he leaves) they throw a fit screaming and yelling "He never fed us, we're staaarving!. Really, we SWEAR!)

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

I have a HUGE pet peeve today.  Have you ever planned to make a hotel reservation, but, forgot and then when you go to do it, realize the room is now more than double the price it was when you last checked!!!! I'm so ticked at myself.  Now, it's taken all the fun out, because, I'm not going to pay that big price.  No way.....so, my little adventure will be cancelled or curtailed.  Either way, what a bummer.....lol. 

• Love 4

@SunnyBeBe - ugh! That sucks!

My peeve is fruit that looks like it's going to taste amazing and ends up being completely flavorless. That will teach me to buy strawberries in Feb (but this also happened during prime berry season last summer). I miss strawberries fresh off the strawberry farm that I used to buy in CA.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have a HUGE pet peeve today.  Have you ever planned to make a hotel reservation, but, forgot and then when you go to do it, realize the room is now more than double the price it was when you last checked!!!! I'm so ticked at myself.  Now, it's taken all the fun out, because, I'm not going to pay that big price.  No way.....so, my little adventure will be cancelled or curtailed.  Either way, what a bummer.....lol. 

I feel you! I had the same experience while booking high speed train tickets for an Italian trip ;( Also, I hate how, if you check flight prices to somewhere, they get more expensive each time you check.

• Love 1

@icemiser69 - that’s really irresponsible pet ownership. Are there leash laws in your area?    If you can, vrecord the dog roaming free and owner being negligent and send it to animal control.  

I let my dog off leash when I take him on the local green belts where it is common if your dog is not aggressive and doesn’t get snarly with other dogs on the trails.  But otherwise he’s on the leash for both his safety and so other people don’t have to worry about whether the least intimidating looking dog in the world is going to stay that way (he’s a white floofy guy, but he is big).  He wouldn’t hurt anyone, but he’d go charging after squirrels and ducks if he had his way.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

that’s really irresponsible pet ownership. Are there leash laws in your area?    If you can, vrecord the dog roaming free and owner being negligent and send it to animal control.  

Even if there aren't specific leash laws because they're out in the country, or whatever, there are probably laws that cover dogs chasing people when they're on public roads.

And any dog who will run out into the road to chase someone (even if he just wants to play) should not be off-leash for his own safety.  Nobody wants dogs to get hit by cars.  

• Love 4