Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, auntlada said:

My son's school does. It's just a regular public school and not at all out there and weird, so I've been guessing that most schools do it now. Other than a few small annoyances (to me) like that, it's a pretty good school. That just annoys me, along with the general expectation of giving birthday and Christmas gifts to teachers, but I think that is an almost universal thing now, too. I'm just philosophically opposed, but as I believe I've mentioned before somewhere on these forums, I'm old and stodgy.

My kid's public school does not do that.  At least that I have heard.

Totes annoying. 

Not at all adorbs

And I should add, saying "hashtag" when talking 

I am not even big on using the hashtag online, but whatever, it serves a purpose.

Saying hashtag though.......just stop. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 8

I kind of like adorkable, because it perfectly describes a particular action or set of characteristics, and better than any real word(s), but the others listed annoy me, too, especially adulting and hashtag.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

I can purchase what I want if I want it, I don't need people buying me gifts nor do I want the hassle of feeling obligated to buy for others (my dad won't accept gifts and my sister and I don't exchange gifts as we have the same attitude about Christmas).  I hate when people feel sorry for me because I don't have many friends or don't participate in huge gatherings.  That kind of life isn't for everyone and isn't meant for my life, and its okay by me.

I could have written this.   I only bought my 2 year-old niece gifts this year, and didn't expect any from anyone.  We don't exchange in my family as adults, not even something like a white elephant.  I'll buy my dad a case of beer, but that's all he ever wants.  My friends and I don't exchange either.  I'm an adult, I can buy anything I want, and it'll be the right color and the right size and the right brand, etc...so I don't have to go through the hassle of returning it when it's invariably wrong.  

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

I kind of like adorkable, because it perfectly describes a particular action or set of characteristics, and better than any real word(s), but the others listed annoy me, too, especially adulting and hashtag.

I think what bothers me about adorkable is when its used described adults, it seems weird. 

The "root" word, I guess you would say, adorable, is not one that is commonly applied to adults.  Puppies and kittens babies and kids are adorable.  Calling your husband or wife or an adult "adorable" seems weird.  The connotation of the word typically applies to younger beings. 

16 hours ago, janestclair said:

I could have written this.   I only bought my 2 year-old niece gifts this year, and didn't expect any from anyone.  We don't exchange in my family as adults, not even something like a white elephant.  I'll buy my dad a case of beer, but that's all he ever wants.  My friends and I don't exchange either.  I'm an adult, I can buy anything I want, and it'll be the right color and the right size and the right brand, etc...so I don't have to go through the hassle of returning it when it's invariably wrong.  

Yes, I finally got my parents & siblings to agree to no gifts. We do a white elephant, but you are only asked to bring items you already own that you no longer want/need. It's actually been a lot of fun laughing at what people bring and surprisingly most of the gifts are useful to someone else! This year I emptied my junk drawer of highlighters, pens and unused pencils that my children accumulated during their school/college years, they were a hot commodity and got 'stolen' a couple times. Bottom line is, none of us need anything so why waste money giving something no one wants or needs? At least with this white elephant you don't have to feel bad if you decide to donate or trash the gift when you get home.

• Love 5
On 01/01/2019 at 3:29 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

For the New Year, on my pet peeves list, I really wish I would stop hearing these words ever used again : 

Totes

Adorbs

Adulting

Adorkable 

Add:  "convo".

People who chuckle after every sentence.  It's cold out today (heh, heh).  I should call my mother (heh, heh).  Oh, you have a new bracelet (heh, heh).  I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow (heh, heh).  I'm sure they don't realize what they're doing, but I have asked what was so funny & received a blank stare.

• Love 4
On 1/13/2015 at 11:20 AM, Betweenyouandme said:

Starting this to get things of my chest that get on my nerves. Please share anything...mine will be words. It usually grates on me when I hear:

kiddo

On 1/2/2019 at 9:37 AM, auntlada said:

Kiddos.

We've come full circle!  This is what started Pet Peeves!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Calling your husband or wife or an adult "adorable" seems weird.

My girlfriend an I call each other adorable, and we're both in our 50s.  Doesn't bother either of us.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, GoodieGirl said:

Yes, I finally got my parents & siblings to agree to no gifts. We do a white elephant, but you are only asked to bring items you already own that you no longer want/need. It's actually been a lot of fun laughing at what people bring and surprisingly most of the gifts are useful to someone else! This year I emptied my junk drawer of highlighters, pens and unused pencils that my children accumulated during their school/college years, they were a hot commodity and got 'stolen' a couple times. Bottom line is, none of us need anything so why waste money giving something no one wants or needs? At least with this white elephant you don't have to feel bad if you decide to donate or trash the gift when you get home.

I LOVE this idea!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Tanichka said:

People who chuckle after every sentence.  It's cold out today (heh, heh).  I should call my mother (heh, heh).  Oh, you have a new bracelet (heh, heh).  I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow (heh, heh).  I'm sure they don't realize what they're doing, but I have asked what was so funny & received a blank stare.

I see you know my sister!  she has had this habit for a long time, and that's exactly how she sounds - heh heh heh.    Once, when I told her I lost my job, she chuckled, and I just about took her head off.  It was three years ago, but I still recall how hurt I was.  She still does that chuckling thing, usually after she says something that she thinks is amusing or ironic. (and most of the time it is NOT). 

• Love 5
On 1/1/2019 at 10:27 PM, tinkerbell said:

Yes, especially when all the store ads - both print and TV/internet - are selling the sparkly evening dresses for NYE.   Ok, I guess there ARE people who go to fancy expensive places and pay an outrageous cover charge to be seen in their gorgeous dresses (and the men in tuxes)  but I don't think I've ever met any of those people.  If I'm going out, I might wear a sparkly sweater with my black jeans.  But 34 out of the last 35  NYE's, I've been home with family, and dressed very casually.  

I've been known to completely overdress just to go to a hole-in-the-wall dive bar for NYE. It's part of how I justify the crammed closet I mentioned!

• Love 4
On 1/2/2019 at 12:07 AM, AgentRXS said:

I've had social anxiety since childhood and have gotten panic attacks in large crowds. This has only intensified since mass shootings have become more prevalent. I've never gone to a NYE bash at a club or event, and never plan to. My family is small with no small children in it so Christmas is a casual gathering. My peeve is when I tell people I don't celebrate like them, they say "Awww" as if I am to be pitied.

I enjoy my own company (and the cats, of course). I am prefer a book or movie to socializing any day of the week. I tried joining social groups at church (blech) in my mid-20s and all I end up doing is blending into the background and being ignored, so I'd rather not bother.  I can purchase what I want if I want it, I don't need people buying me gifts nor do I want the hassle of feeling obligated to buy for others (my dad won't accept gifts and my sister and I don't exchange gifts as we have the same attitude about Christmas).  I hate when people feel sorry for me because I don't have many friends or don't participate in huge gatherings.  That kind of life isn't for everyone and isn't meant for my life, and its okay by me.

Amen.  

My peeve:  People who don't comprehend the concept that some people consider their own company a treat!  Maybe, it's due to me having to deal with so many people, but, I really enjoy solitude sometimes.  

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Amen.  

My peeve:  People who don't comprehend the concept that some people consider their own company a treat!  Maybe, it's due to me having to deal with so many people, but, I really enjoy solitude sometimes.  

Agreed so hard: I’m pretty much an extrovert who will talk to anyone at anytime, and loves an excuse to get out and about, but many people in my life don't realize that I’m also just as content to stay in and read a good book/relax or take myself out to eat/catch a movie alone. In fact I love those rare opportunities to just treat myself and do a day alone at the spa or shop all by myself.

I believe they refer to this as being an extroverted introvert? It’s a great balance to have!

• Love 7

Introversion is not necessarily disliking being out around people (though it is in my case and is compounded with social and generalized anxiety). Very generally speaking and in a clinical sense (my therapist and I discuss this), introverts recharge by being alone because being with others drains their energy. Extroverts are charged up by being with others.

I often see job listings that say "extroverts only!" or "no introverts!" (or worse..."we're hiring rockstars!" No.) and it sticks in my craw. I realize it's not illegal to not hire someone or to fire someone based upon personality traits, but doing so based on how they operate at a basic functional level feels discriminatory.

I'm able to "turn it on" to deal with customers at work; I am just really zapped after work and need quiet. Hence why I don't have children or a partner wanting my attention when I get home. The cats aren't too needy, so they get a pass.

• Love 11
On 1/2/2019 at 12:18 PM, theredhead77 said:

Littles

I didn't know "littles" was a thing! I call my cats that--when I am not telling them what big boys they are (or, let's be honest, asking them who is a big boy).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Introversion is not necessarily disliking being out around people (though it is in my case and is compounded with social and generalized anxiety). Very generally speaking and in a clinical sense (my therapist and I discuss this), introverts recharge by being alone because being with others drains their energy. Extroverts are charged up by being with others.

I often see job listings that say "extroverts only!" or "no introverts!" (or worse..."we're hiring rockstars!" No.) and it sticks in my craw. I realize it's not illegal to not hire someone or to fire someone based upon personality traits, but doing so based on how they operate at a basic functional level feels discriminatory.

I'm able to "turn it on" to deal with customers at work; I am just really zapped after work and need quiet. Hence why I don't have children or a partner wanting my attention when I get home. The cats aren't too needy, so they get a pass.

Most of my career as a writer/editor in one role or another, I've had managers who understood that not only am I an introvert who is drained by having to be around other people constantly, there's also the fact that being in a working environment where there's a lot of talking and other noise makes it extremely difficult to do my job well. That changed with a former manager, who thought all of us tech writers should be able to function just fine in a setting where the people around us were on the phone most of the day, having loud conversations with customers or colleagues. Even though my current manager has her faults, I will always be grateful that she did a little research of sorts before hiring me as a tech writer. She'd never worked with a tech writer before, so she talked to an adjacent group who had a couple of tech writers. From them, she learned that many tech writers prefer solitude and need a lot of silence to function well. So when I specified on my application that I wanted 100% telecommute, she accepted that condition as pretty standard. I cannot write to the best of my abilities when there's a lot of noise around me, and on top of that, I'm enough of an introvert that just being in the same room with other people for an entire work day leaves me so drained that after work, I can't function for a couple of hours. 

In the past, when I've occasionally taught in a face-to-face setting, I've also had to "turn it on", which for me was just adopting a different persona when in the classroom. And I enjoyed performing that way. But one of the many reasons I didn't pursue teaching college as a primary career was that the necessity of classroom performance often left me exhausted. I need solitude to recharge my batteries, and if I have to go for more than a few days with insufficient alone time, I'm going to be extremely irritable and exhausted. 

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Moose135 said:

My girlfriend an I call each other adorable, and we're both in our 50s.  Doesn't bother either of us.

Personal preference, that's why these are pet peeves, they don't bother everyone. 

Its the same way I don't like be called "honey" or "sweety" by strangers I don't know.  Like waitresses, usually, or check out people.   "adorable" attached to me from anyone would bug me. 

17 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I am the exact same way. 

A day of work dealing with person after person, is doable, but exhausting to me. 

I often leave the office for lunch if nothing else is going on just for that reason.  Just time by myself. 

Once home, I don't really want to deal with other people for awhile.  Luckily my wife isn't demanding of attention and talk too much at that time. 

The Middle did a great episode on this around Brick after he goes to a party. 

• Love 3

I don’t care about adorable or being called sweetie or whatever (unless people are using That Tone of Voice), but I do not like being called “tiny”! And I’m not—I am smaller than many (and bigger than many too, probably!) but still not what I picture as “tiny”! “Wee,” however, makes me laugh.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I didn't know "littles" was a thing! I call my cats that--when I am not telling them what big boys they are (or, let's be honest, asking them who is a big boy).

I hear / read "littles" in reference to small kids and it drives me BONKERS! "I took the littles to the park". No, you took the kids to the park. Or the little ones to the park. GAH! I'm annoyed at myself now.

I ask my cats who's a good boy all the time and they just stare at me. 

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Hearing this: 

What did you accomplish today? 

I read a 400 page book. It was good and I couldn’t put it down. 

Oh, so you sat on your ass and did nothing. 

Yep and it was GLORIOUS!!!!!!!

I'm so thankful to have an office with a door. I keep it closed most days because the sounds within a cube farm make me ragey. Search for my gum snapper posts in the work thread from several years ago if you're curious.

I'm an extroverted introvert but these days I spend so much time alone I'm just craving social interaction with friends.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Its the same way I don't like be called "honey" or "sweety" by strangers I don't know.  Like waitresses, usually, or check out people. 

Yes, when I moved to Charlotte from Long Island, it took a while to get accustomed to hearing that all the time.

The other one I hate is "grandbabies".  No, just stop that!

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I have a "grand-dog".   But we call her that with a realization that it's silly and annoying.  It's usually in response to people asking when our kids are going to "make us grandparents"  or people assuming I am eager to have grandchildren.   No, sorry, I will not pressure my kids to reproduce.  They are adults, they'll make their own choices.   meanwhile, I'm grandma to a dog.  

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

I have a "grand-dog".   But we call her that with a realization that it's silly and annoying.

Yes, we refer to Denali as my "step dog-ther" too.  GF's mother says she is her "grand dog-ther".  It is a little silly, but life would be dull and boring if you weren't a little silly now and again.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Me too, I prefer grandchildren. 

20 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

I have a "grand-dog".   But we call her that with a realization that it's silly and annoying.  It's usually in response to people asking when our kids are going to "make us grandparents"  or people assuming I am eager to have grandchildren.   No, sorry, I will not pressure my kids to reproduce.  They are adults, they'll make their own choices.   meanwhile, I'm grandma to a dog.  

Lol, my daughter has 3 cats and she tells me that may be all the 'granchildren' I get, and I'm fine with that. When I cat sit I can read a book, take a bath, go for a run and not worry that Child Protective Services is going to show up and throw me in jail for neglect!

• Love 5
On 1/3/2019 at 6:04 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think what bothers me about adorkable is when its used described adults, it seems weird. 

The "root" word, I guess you would say, adorable, is not one that is commonly applied to adults.  Puppies and kittens babies and kids are adorable.  Calling your husband or wife or an adult "adorable" seems weird.  The connotation of the word typically applies to younger beings. 

Oh, I'm with you on not calling an adult "adorable" (although I would say "I adore her/him"), I just happen to like "adorkable" - putting the dork in there makes it work for me, because doing something so dorky it's endearingly cute is the one instance in which I might find a human adorable, and adorkable is such a good description.

Going back to the peeve of people saying "hashtag," I just read in another thread that someone's co-worker, in lieu of laughing, says, "lawl," meaning "LOL."  That makes saying "hashtag" seem quaint and charming by comparison!

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Going back to the peeve of people saying "hashtag," I just read in another thread that someone's co-worker, in lieu of laughing, says, "lawl," meaning "LOL."  That makes saying "hashtag" seem quaint and charming by comparison!

I hate it when people say LOL.  You're there.  Just laugh if it's funny. Or smile if it's not that funny.  but don't say LOL.

• Love 6

I ask my cats who's a good boy all the time and they just stare at me. 

If they're like mine, they're probably legitimately baffled because

1. they don't know many people, and
  2. they know well and good that "us" is just not a truthful answer!
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Unless they are literal babies, I agree.

2 hours ago, GoodieGirl said:

Lol, my daughter has 3 cats and she tells me that may be all the 'granchildren' I get, and I'm fine with that. When I cat sit I can read a book, take a bath, go for a run and not worry that Child Protective Services is going to show up and throw me in jail for neglect!

I tell my mom that all she gets are the grand-cats / grand-kitties. But we don't actually refer to them as that in a serious manner, nor do I go around calling myself a fur-mom. The terms fur-mom, fur-parent make me stabby. I love my kitties and I'd risk my own life to save theirs but I am under no delusion that they are my kids or if I were to have a human child (bio or adopted) that I'd feel a very different sort of love for the human and maybe even a different sort of love for the kitties. But that's moot since I don't want kids nor do they seem to be in my future anyway.

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

If they're like mine, they're probably legitimately baffled because

1. they don't know many people, and
  2. they know well and good that "us" is just not a truthful answer!

Especially at 3am!

• Love 3

This girl I work with called me a fur-mom one time. We were taking turns holding another colleague's new baby and she was asking all of us about our kids and families. When she got to me, already knowing I was single, she said really loudly "Oh yeah, you're a fur mom". It took all I had not to punch her in the face.

She is one of those mean girls who says tacky things to your face in a sing-song voice with a smile or starts a sentence off with "I'm only saying this because I'm your friend...". I left those girls behind in middle school, I have no desire to interact with them anymore. 

• Love 9
On 1/1/2019 at 12:29 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

For the New Year, on my pet peeves list, I really wish I would stop hearing these words ever used again : 

Totes

Adorbs

Adulting

Adorkable 

I'm sure I will think of others. 

Prezzie is the one I hate most.  If you're over the age of 9, please say present, not prezzie.  It just makes you look stupid. 

• Love 5

Not so much a peeve as it is a genuine dislike is the tendency to immediately ratchet up the drama to ten. It’s usually a behavior that keeps close company people who make things all about themselves. I’ve got one at work who does it all the time, it’s insanely unprofessional. Toxic. The direct report to this person has actually come to me for advice. 

And that’s in public. On the Internet it’s even easier to find because anonymity makes it safer. 

• Love 8

A reminder that this is a place to air one's pet peeves; it's not the place to criticize someone's peeves, nor complain or ask for explanation of peeves. In addition, as per the pinned 'Notes from the Forum Mod' in the main Everything Else forum, it's not the place for politics or politically based peeves. Personal politics will get you warned.

Posts have been removed; please be respectful of each other and possible differences in regions/cultures.

• Love 1

I'm guilty of the nervous Muttley chuckle at the end of sentences. I hate it myself and try to be aware but it sneaks in. I have poor interpersonal skills and a flat affect so my body is probably trying to get across that, "I'm not mad, really! Heh heh heh."

• Love 8
9 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

but I do not like being called “tiny”!

My mom is 86 and she's been suffering with scoliosis for decades. At this point her torso is parallel with the floor. Stretched as tall as she can she's about 4'10 now (used to be 5'3). A waitress called her tiny (about the hundredth time mom's heard this) and mom said (as firmly as her soft voice could manage) "NO! I am a PERSON!" She said other stuff, but was so upset the waitress had to bend over to hear her and I couldn't hear the rest. But the waitress apologized then went away. She came back with red/wet eyes and said "I'm old, but I'm not too old to learn. I didn't mean to offend you and I'm glad you told me I did. I learned a lesson today. I'll take it to heart, I promise you." My sister went back later and made sure the waitress was okay and she was, she said it was upsetting but she was glad that mom told her, because now she knows how much words matter, even if you think you're being kind and complimentary.

• Love 15

Aww, I like that your mom said something and I also like that the waitress apologized too--and not with one of those "I'm sorry that you took it wrong" apologies!

I have a peeve with using "would[n't] have" when just "had[n't]" would work; I keep noticing this on TV and in real life. Like, "If I would have brought an umbrella, I wouldn't look like a drowned rat" or "If that guy wouldn't have cut me off in traffic, the crash wouldn't have happened" or "I wish I would have known you were coming over here."

• Love 3

I got this correspondence yesterday from my insurance company that had Immediate Attention plastered all over it.  It was from the "pharmacy solutions" department concerned because I did not refill a prescription within 30 days - the last refill was 11/15.  Only it does not say which prescription since I usually have a couple refilled at the same time.  It gives a toll free number to call to answer "a few simple questions" about why I am not taking my med as prescribe - This number is printed in bold, larger font 3 times on the letter.  On the back is a bunch of legal disclaimers which trigger me into wondering if this is a step in cancelling my insurance for not following procedures (I don't know shit about insurance).

I call the number, but it is a call back number that you have to enter the number they called you at to verify your identity.  Since I got the exact number from a letter they sent, it doesn't recognize me.

I call in to the number on my insurance card to find out that they have my old address on file (I moved 3 years ago), yet they also send stuff to my current address (?).  It literally takes the agent 5 minutes to update my address.  We get to why I called and she is going to transfer me to the pharmacy support.  After talking with someone for another 30 minutes, explaining the situation, going through which meds I had filled on that date (ones a 90 day refill, one I need to take 2-3 each night depending on nerve spasms so a 30 day supply (90) lasts anywhere from 30 - 45 days depending on level of spasms I am having, etc...she eventually tries calling the number I was given, gets the same message and can't find the "department" that sent me the letter.  Turns out is not with the pharmacy, but some kind of customer resolution agent.

She eventually does try to transfer me to the pharmacy, but after being on hold for 5+ minutes I give up.

I was on the phone, or hold, with my insurance company for more than an hour and got nothing resolved.

I tried to go through my online account to send a message but my account is "locked".

I'm going old school and snail mailing them.

• Love 4

OK, as tempted as I am to air my views of The Shutdown, in keeping with the  rules here, I'm saving my venting over it for somewhere else.

However; the news of folks visiting the now-unattended National Parks and leaving behind human waste and trash in places where there's NO ONE to clean it up is infuriating!  Come on! I don't care what one thinks of The Shutdown or who one thinks is to blame,etc. if one cannot take containers to transport one's trash and/or human waste to the nearest off-park rest area, then STAY HOME!  It's complicating things for the parks' wildlife and degrading lands that were set aside for the express purpose of being enjoyed by future generations in perpetuity! 

Edited by Blergh
ing
  • Love 24

Peeve of the day and many other days: technology. Backstory: My ancient laptop runs Windows 7. It no longer processes updates. I turned off auto-update years ago because half the time the security packs crashed the machine. Updates stopped working altogether around the time they tried to get everyone to switch to Windows 10. Today's problem: I bought software on Amazon and it won't finish downloading and installing because some update is missing. The links within the "blocking warning" or whatever the dialogue box said were dead so I have no way of figuring out to get. I did try one thing that looked similar in the uninstalled updates but it just wouldn't cooperate. There are no refunds/returns on this software. I am peeved.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ABay said:

I did try one thing that looked similar in the uninstalled updates but it just wouldn't cooperate. There are no refunds/returns on this software. I am peeved.

Even though it may say no refunds or returns, if it does say Win 7 compatible and it doesn't work try using Amazon's chat feature. They're usually really good about refunds / returns despite the listed policy.

@Blergh - I agree. I wish they would just close the parks to the public until this mess is over.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 5

Massive peeve: people who get away with blatant cruelty to animals. Specifically, the IA teacher

Spoiler

who let a puppy swim around, terrified, in a snapping turtle cage before the turtle ate it alive. This monster previously tried to feed this puppy to a snake. No consequences for his actions. He claimed the puppy was sick and he was putting it out of its misery. No asshole, the humane thing would have been to take it to the vet. Not let it be torn apart, alive, scared and wondering why no one was helping it (students previously held the puppy before its cruel death sentence was imposed).

I hope he rots in hell, after he's eaten alive while others watch and do nothing to help. Karma cannot come soon enough for this monster.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 13
On 1/5/2019 at 6:51 PM, ABay said:

My ancient laptop runs Windows 7. It no longer processes updates. I turned off auto-update years ago because half the time the security packs crashed the machine.

I had the same problem last year, but with a desktop.  I hadn't bothered to update to Windows 10, since I only used the computer to pay bills  and do my taxes.  Then I needed to update TurboTax and Quicken and they needed newer versions of Windows, and it was impossible to update Windows 7 at all, not even to Windows 8.  I priced the software for Windows 10, and it wound up being cheaper to buy a whole new (refurbished) desktop, which came with Windows 10 pre-installed, so that's what I did.  

Got home 2 days ago from a cruise and am very sick with a respiratory ailment (lots of horrid coughing). I used those Purell machines all the time--even cleaned my hands after touching menus. This is the second cruise on which I've gotten a bug and I may just avoid cruises in the future. My neighbor's in-laws went on a cruise a week earlier & came home sick too. Thank goodness most of the cruise was good for us (but we heard our cabin "neighbor" hacking away every night-we figured he was a smoker). 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Got home 2 days ago from a cruise and am very sick with a respiratory ailment (lots of horrid coughing). I used those Purell machines all the time--even cleaned my hands after touching menus. This is the second cruise on which I've gotten a bug and I may just avoid cruises in the future. My neighbor's in-laws went on a cruise a week earlier & came home sick too. Thank goodness most of the cruise was good for us (but we heard our cabin "neighbor" hacking away every night-we figured he was a smoker). 

Every time my neighbor comes home from Europe (4-6 times per year) he gets sick. He’s fine when he gets on the plane, but lands with a cough, congestion and his ears won’t pop. I know there’s a lack of fresh air circulation, but it puts everyone’s health at risk. 

Sorry you caught a bug on the cruise. I’ve never been on one, but I see them as a floating germ factories. Do they have guards over the buffets so people can’t accidentally sneeze on them?  Feel better. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Sorry you caught a bug on the cruise. I’ve never been on one, but I see them as a floating germ factories. Do they have guards over the buffets so people can’t accidentally sneeze on them?  Feel better. 

Thanks! Yes they have those guards over all foods in the buffets. It's just so nice to have everything in one place (restaurants, entertainment, spa, etc). But I'm glad we only had a 2 hr flt home (during which people were hacking away like crazy!) 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Cruises are an ideal set up for all sorts of weird infections

Large populations with cramped quarters.  International travel to exotic, new locations.  Large buffets with food sitting around.  Stagnant pools shared buy lots of people.  I am guessing less than ideal medical care. 

My wife refuses to go on cruises for this and other reasons.  Can't say I blame her. 

• Love 4