Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

I want to go to Target but there is a baseball game that has backed up my path to Target. I was trying to go to said game but first group of friends "maybed" until it was too late to get cheap tickets and someone who on Tuesday said they wanted to go tonight couldn't bother to follow up that they changed their mind.

My super peeve is people who say Maybe instead of no. When did maybe become no and why can't I seem to comprend that maybe equals no?

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I want to go to Target but there is a baseball game that has backed up my path to Target. I was trying to go to said game but first group of friends "maybed" until it was too late to get cheap tickets and someone who on Tuesday said they wanted to go tonight couldn't bother to follow up that they changed their mind.

My super peeve is people who say Maybe instead of no. When did maybe become no and why can't I seem to comprend that maybe equals no?

And then they inevitably do not follow up the maybe with a definite, which means you have to keep asking or wait until it's too late. I went through that this week with an extra ticket to see The Cult tomorrow night. Like, your inaction is now affecting what I am going to do (because I am not one to go by myself)--this also happens with my BF's gigs; I go to them sometimes but I like to have someone else to hang out with. If you "maybe" me and then don't tell me yes or no, I stay home, sometimes to get a text later from the "maybe-er" asking where I am!

Luckily, BF is gig-free tomorrow, it turns out, and will be going with me even though he doesn't care about The Cult.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

I agree with that peeve, even from the other side.  I am a "maybe" by nature for a lot of things, because I have to be in the right mood to be sociable in a group; I'm almost always happy to be with one of my close friends for dinner/drinks or a movie night in, but ask me if I want to go to a party or group outing and it's going to depend on mood, and I won't know in advance how I'm going to feel when the time comes.  (And if my depression and anxiety is more than its usual mild state, it is even more up in the air; I may find the thought of leaving the house dreadful.) 

But I am also well aware that I cannot leave people hanging.  If it's something important, I will commit to being there, regardless.  If it's not important, but something where, logistically, I can't wait until the last minute to decide, I will usually say "probably not, but if it works out, I'll join you" (where that wouldn't be an issue, of course) or commit and then stick with it.  Only if it wouldn't matter whether I'm a late addition/absence will I be a maybe.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I agree with that peeve, even from the other side.  I am a "maybe" by nature for a lot of things, because I have to be in the right mood to be sociable in a group; I'm almost always happy to be with one of my close friends for dinner/drinks or a movie night in, but ask me if I want to go to a party or group outing and it's going to depend on mood, and I won't know in advance how I'm going to feel when the time comes.  (And if my depression and anxiety is more than its usual mild state, it is even more up in the air; I may find the thought of leaving the house dreadful.) 

But I am also well aware that I cannot leave people hanging.  If it's something important, I will commit to being there, regardless.  If it's not important, but something where, logistically, I can't wait until the last minute to decide, I will usually say "probably not, but if it works out, I'll join you" (where that wouldn't be an issue, of course) or commit and then stick with it.  Only if it wouldn't matter whether I'm a late addition/absence will I be a maybe.

That's all good--I'd take that (and I could stand to learn to be a bit more decisive on my own anyway); it's just the maybe followed by crickets that's the worst!

• Love 1

I have to complain about robocalls again. Bear with me or skip past my post.

I called a county agency today and left a message, so in the anticipation of getting a call back from an unknown number, I changed my default silent ringtone (so I'm not disturbed by spammers calling) to my regular ringtone that I usually use only for my contacts. I have to set each contact ringtone manually, and there is also a default ringtone that applies for all non-contacts and/or contacts that haven't had a specific ringtone applied. I apologize for that probably unnecessary longwinded backstory.

Anyway, I got a phone call a while later from a local number, and I answered. I knew very soon after answering that it was spam because it was silent, like the computer on the other end has to take its couple seconds to realize it has a connection or whatever.

A recording of a female voice starts: "Oh, sorry! I broke up a bit there! Ha ha! Can you hear me?"

Me: *ICY SILENCE*

Recording: "Ha ha! Great!..."

Me: *click* *blocks and flags number as spam*

I feel hot rage over this deceptive "business" practice. That recording is some bullshit. This company (what/whoever it is) is spoofing a local number (it didn't come up as anything in a search), and like all the other spam calls I get, I just have to block it and flag it as spam. There's no real way to stop the calling activity.

I know robocalls are so rampant that the FCC can't really get a handle on the problem, considering I'm just one person with one phone number that got a record 14 spam calls in one day from four numbers. I simply don't understand how it is in any way lucrative for spammers to run their enterprises.

Rant over...until Monday when I have to answer the phone again in the hope that it's the county calling back.

• Love 12

As the years have gone by, my GP has switched from nagging me to get a pap smear to nagging me to get a colonoscopy.

I go back to my family doctor on Thursday, and since I finally got my long-delayed colonoscopy in April, he can only nag me about my long-overdue pap smear!

Pet peeve:  Packages that won't open at the places where they are supposed to be opened.  I cook a lot of frozen veggies, and half the time I can't open the steaming-hot package at that little 'nick' on the side.  So, I have to get out scissors.  And, the package of ham (Wal Mart brand!) where you can't pull that little strip across the top to open it.  Once again, I have to get the scissors out and if you don't cut it in just the right place, you either have to keep trimming or you cut it too close to the ham and have to plop the whole thing into a plastic bag.  And, don't even get me started on trying to get a piece of plastic wrap off the roll! (although the difficulty with that usually varies with the brand, I've found).

• Love 12
(edited)
14 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I have to complain about robocalls again. Bear with me or skip past my post.

I called a county agency today and left a message, so in the anticipation of getting a call back from an unknown number, I changed my default silent ringtone (so I'm not disturbed by spammers calling) to my regular ringtone that I usually use only for my contacts. I have to set each contact ringtone manually, and there is also a default ringtone that applies for all non-contacts and/or contacts that haven't had a specific ringtone applied. I apologize for that probably unnecessary longwinded backstory.

Anyway, I got a phone call a while later from a local number, and I answered. I knew very soon after answering that it was spam because it was silent, like the computer on the other end has to take its couple seconds to realize it has a connection or whatever.

A recording of a female voice starts: "Oh, sorry! I broke up a bit there! Ha ha! Can you hear me?"

Me: *ICY SILENCE*

Recording: "Ha ha! Great!..."

Me: *click* *blocks and flags number as spam*

I feel hot rage over this deceptive "business" practice. That recording is some bullshit. This company (what/whoever it is) is spoofing a local number (it didn't come up as anything in a search), and like all the other spam calls I get, I just have to block it and flag it as spam. There's no real way to stop the calling activity.

I know robocalls are so rampant that the FCC can't really get a handle on the problem, considering I'm just one person with one phone number that got a record 14 spam calls in one day from four numbers. I simply don't understand how it is in any way lucrative for spammers to run their enterprises.

Rant over...until Monday when I have to answer the phone again in the hope that it's the county calling back.

I've been getting a lot of calls from numbers that I don't recognize. I have my own number set to "unknown" since I rarely call anyone, so I call them back at some point, since I've had a missing cat and my number is out there. Most of them are suddenly numbers that are not in use. The one yesterday was from Beverly Hills. With the ones that say, "choose 1 to be removed from out calling list" I just hang up. I don't trust anything like that.

On 7/25/2018 at 6:55 PM, Quof said:

On another board I frequent, an American adult was seeking advice for a trip to London because she will only eat "American food".   People tried to help her with suggestions - maybe try a cuisine you don't have access to at home? No.   Traditional British food like Sunday roast dinner of meat, potatoes and veg?  No.  Her adult palate could only tolerate pizza, burgers and fries - all cooked the "American" way. Not pizza cooked the traditional way by Italian immigrants to London, or authentic British fish and chips.   I travel mainly for the food. I can't imagine eating the same food I can get at home.

Ooh, home. I don't like fish, but I miss the chips. I preferred the pizza over there, too. I used to love pizza, but I don't often enjoy it here, although part of that is that it became a weekly, or even more regular dinner when I was younger, and the shine wore off. It was a treat in England. Now I'm craving a good pizza, too. 

I didn't think there was that much difference between America and England, in terms of food. We have roast dinners almost every week, usually Sunday. Roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, some cooked with the meat. She should be fine, though. they have McDonald's in London, if that's what she really wants. We had that and Burger King, from what I remember, but it's been years. 

I also saw something about coffee, a few pages back. I love the smell, but not the taste. I've had people tell me I just need to try better coffee. I don't mind it so much with a ton of milk in there, and sugar, but I prefer my tea.

Peeve: I keep hearing how everyone is so opinionated and offended now, unlike the good old days. I really can't remember a year in which people weren't offended by anything, like they just shrugged their shoulders and decided that's the way life is, "c'est la vie". It's like nothing ever happened before the last few years, and everyone was peaceful and hugged it out. No.

Edited by Anela
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, forumfish said:

Adding to the packaging peeve -- twice-sealed bottles! The outer plastic wrap that has to be cut off should be enough to prevent tampering -- but wait! there's more! -- once you get the lid off, there's a foil seal that must be removed, too.  I was trying to get the foil off of a chocolate Boost the other day and it didn't want to budge until all of a sudden it did and, you guessed it, chocolate splashed on my yellow shirt. *grrr*

And that foil covering can't have a tab that sticks out farther to pull it off with. All sides go exactly to the edge so you can't get a good grip on it.

• Love 16

There's a dental care line called Hello and its good stuff. But the packaging, while aesthetically pleasing, is monstrous! The plastic ring on the mouthwash is so hard to get off that you spill it, and the toothpaste tubes are hard to squeeze! Don't even get me started on the pump lotions where you have to do an initial twist to unseal the pump part--my last on just kept turning and turning and never worked! Luckily I still had that piece from the empty (but not really because you can never get all of it out and throw away a decent amount) bottle!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, forumfish said:

Adding to the packaging peeve -- twice-sealed bottles! The outer plastic wrap that has to be cut off should be enough to prevent tampering -- but wait! there's more! -- once you get the lid off, there's a foil seal that must be removed, too.  I was trying to get the foil off of a chocolate Boost the other day and it didn't want to budge until all of a sudden it did and, you guessed it, chocolate splashed on my yellow shirt. *grrr*

4 hours ago, auntlada said:

And that foil covering can't have a tab that sticks out farther to pull it off with. All sides go exactly to the edge so you can't get a good grip on it.

You can thank the laced Tylenol of the 1980s for the absurd packaging. On one hand I appreciate it, on the other hand, enough already.

The full circle to my vent about maybes is the people who talk about plans / parties that others aren't invited to, in front of them.  I went to a gathering from the sports league I played in this afternoon. People were leaving early to go to this party for someones birthday, apparently it's just a thing at the bar but like 5 of us weren't invited and it was really awkward.

• Love 8

OK, First World Problem Alert: yesterday I was leaving my local mall and decided to see what movies were playing at its complex but they had a huge sign bragging about their specialized seats but not anything visible actually advertising what movies were playing. Hey, some of us customers actually decide on impulse whether there's any movies worth hunting a parking spot for, standing in line then seeing just by looking at signs and do not have the desire to surf to a certain website for the info!

• Love 10

My laptop won't charge anymore; I had it repaired two months ago, but the cord has become fiddly again. This really couldn't have happened at a worse time due to other necessary money consuming repairs. Typing all of this on the phone takes so much more time than on a standard keyboard. How do people do this all day long? 

• Love 5
On 7/29/2018 at 10:18 AM, ginger90 said:

“Local” newspapers that advertise restaurants, and such, but don’t include an address. It makes no sense.

True.  And have you looked for a phone number on most websites now?  They either don't include them or they are hidden. No one wants a call. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

True.  And have you looked for a phone number on most websites now?  They either don't include them or they are hidden. No one wants a call. 

That's because, increasingly, business's don't want to pay living souls to answer phones. They want either internet orders or foot traffic.

• Love 5

This is probably the most ridiculous pet peeve in the world, but I've seen it a lot lately and it just bugs me.  When you are ranking 5 things and there is a tie, the ranking order should be 1, 2, 2, 4, 5.  Not 1, 2, 2, 3, 4.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/27/2018 at 11:23 AM, peacheslatour said:

My dad is 84. He goes out to lunch every day and eats healthy. He has ice cream for dinner every night. 

:)

My mom is 86 and she also enjoys ice cream!  And her gin.  She is very picky about the gin, and having fresh limes.  If she wants a cocktail some evening - I always tell her - go for it!

She is not overweight and has zero health problems.  I know her doctor is trying to get her to stop eating the 4 slices of bacon she eats each week (she is not complying LOL).  I understand it's 'unhealthy' but she's fantastic otherwise - let her have her bacon!

Edited by Kelly
  • Love 13
3 minutes ago, Kelly said:

4 slices of bacon she eats each week (she is not complying LOL).  I understand it's 'unhealthy' but she's fantastic otherwise - let her have her bacon!

4 slices of bacon a day might be a problem. 4 slices a week doesn't sound like that big of a deal.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m always baffled by the businesses who don’t actually post their HOURS of operation; it’s insane how many places I’ve wanted to visit but when I go to their websites to look for their opening hours, there’s no actual times listed...now why would you have a slick website for your business and not even bother to post your business hours? Why force people to dig around on your social media sites just to find this basic info??

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Kelly said:

My mom is 86 and she also enjoys ice cream!  And her gin.  She is very picky about the gin, and having fresh limes.  If she wants a cocktail some evening - I always tell her - go for it!

She is not overweight and has zero health problems.  I know her doctor is trying to get her to stop eating the 4 slices of bacon she eats each week (she is not complying LOL).  I understand it's 'unhealthy' but she's fantastic otherwise - let her have her bacon!

deleted.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's because, increasingly, business's don't want to pay living souls to answer phones. They want either internet orders or foot traffic.

2 hours ago, forumfish said:

I'm also curious -- don't stores want foot traffic, since most people will pick up an impulse buy (or two or more) while inside? I guess it's the option between "customers order online from me" and "customers order from Amazon."

Since my thoughts on this are related to both, I'm quoting both...

Businesses have no choice but to deal with the increasing number of customers who only want to do business on a website or app. More and more people are choosing one business over another based entirely on whether or not they will have human interaction, with the lack of human contact being the desirable choice.

On the one hand, I get it. People often suck. On the other hand, it sure is a strange outcome of us all becoming so connected to each other through technology.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, forumfish said:

I guess this is a semi-peeve (petite peeve, perhaps?), but now that the "order online and pick up at the store" craze is in full swing, my peeve is the number of parking spaces that have been allocated to those shoppers. I suppose it's better than having customers lined up at the curb, but it can be a bit annoying to those trying to find a close spot to run in and grab one or two items.

I'm also curious -- don't stores want foot traffic, since most people will pick up an impulse buy (or two or more) while inside? I guess it's the option between "customers order online from me" and "customers order from Amazon."

I think there are people who do impulse add-ons to online orders and who may buy more because it feels less like spending real money than when they are in a store.

All of our order online and pickup in the store shopping has been for stuff not available in the store. My husband used to buy JC Penney pants that way until they closed our store. My peeve with that store is that it had decent men's clothing, but all the women's clothes looked like stuff aimed at 16-year-olds who didn't shop there and weren't ever going to. It had very few professional looking women's clothes, which was what I wanted.

The overwhelming reason I will order something online to pick up at a store is because I can use an online-only coupon plus ebates. I have done this forever for windshield wipers (because the employees will install them for free). The only place I have a hard time finding coupons for is Chewy.

Just last week I bought four boxes of cat litter at Target that were buy one, get one 40% off online only but I was able to pick them up at the store.

It's too easy for me to go to Target with a list and then think, "Oh, but I also "need" this thing and that..." If I order online, I'm not doing that.

• Love 4
On 7/28/2018 at 7:44 PM, theredhead77 said:

The full circle to my vent about maybes is the people who talk about plans / parties that others aren't invited to, in front of them.  I went to a gathering from the sports league I played in this afternoon. People were leaving early to go to this party for someones birthday, apparently it's just a thing at the bar but like 5 of us weren't invited and it was really awkward.

And this is why I stopped sitting with the "in" folks at my daughter's soccer games years ago. The same group of moms would openly discuss their shopping trips / mutual vacations / dinner parties, etc. while the other 2 or 3 of us sat in silence. I did not care what they did, I was not jealous or envious, it was just so awkward to have nothing to add to the conversation and it seemed as if they wanted it that way. Myself and the few others who weren't included started to sit separately and discuss relevant topics of the day or about our kids. 

I also had an experience with former neighbor. My husband knew the her husband from work so the two men thought it would be great for us to all be friends. Unfortunately "Todd",  the neighbor husband, did not discuss it with his wife who made it very clear during the 3 get-togethers (that involved other neighbors as well) I went to that she was not interested in being even polite to me. I told my now-ex-husband that he could go and I'd stay home from now on. Again, I wasn't upset, I just don't have the time or energy to try to make someone like me. 

• Love 8
On 7/28/2018 at 2:47 PM, auntlada said:

That's why I angrily jab it with a chopstick!

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:06 PM, Kelly said:

My grandmother saved bacon grease to cook with.  she never had a vegetable that didn't have bacon grease added to it, even spread it on bread.  She lived to be 103. 

My dad is 92, he has a glass of gin every night.   (and some days, I'm sure he has 2).   

after a while, people in my family have the attitude, "screw what's healthy - I'll have whatever I want!" 

• Love 11

Discussion boards, oy. Ever since Usenet, there have been two basic things that irk me: overposting and being off topic (when there is one).

There's a TV show subreddit that has some lively conversation but I can't read there without wanting to flick the moderator in the head. She adds her opinion to almost every question or comment and acts like she's the ultimate decider on everything, including facts. She claims to have "inside sources" to the show but never produces anything except vague theories presented as truth. She also constantly tries to make fetch happen by giving contestants cutesy names and exclusively using them.

She squats on the subreddit like a hookah-smoking caterpillar and I finally had to stop going there. Nobody wants to read your thoughts 59 times on one page!

(Except some commenters love her, so there's no consensus again in this life.)

• Love 8
On 7/30/2018 at 5:17 PM, bilgistic said:

The overwhelming reason I will order something online to pick up at a store is because I can use an online-only coupon plus ebates. I have done this forever for windshield wipers (because the employees will install them for free). The only place I have a hard time finding coupons for is Chewy.

Just last week I bought four boxes of cat litter at Target that were buy one, get one 40% off online only but I was able to pick them up at the store.

It's too easy for me to go to Target with a list and then think, "Oh, but I also "need" this thing and that..." If I order online, I'm not doing that.

So, are you pleased with the online coupons?  My peeve is that if I try to get an online coupon, it seems that I have to submit to having to opt in by agreeing to enable cookies and that makes me uncomfortable and I back out. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I'm getting a lot of "spoof" emails right now, and it's pissing me off. There are emails that purport to be from Amazon, telling me that my order #[insert fake order number here] is out for delivery, and I need to click on some link or photo or something to claim my reward for being a loyal Amazon customer, or some such nonsense. It's infuriating because right now I am expecting a package from an Amazon 3rd party seller. The other ones are supposedly from AT&T, and consist of someone who is obviously not AT&T claiming that AT&T has doubled their admin fees, and so forth.  These people need to quit cluttering up my inbox. I detest junk email/spam anyway, but it's usually easy to spot most of them. Since I am a customer of both Amazon and AT&T, I have gotten fooled into opening the emails a couple of times, thinking they were legit emails.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

So, are you pleased with the online coupons?  My peeve is that if I try to get an online coupon, it seems that I have to submit to having to opt in by agreeing to enable cookies and that makes me uncomfortable and I back out. 

I've given up on the cookie fight. Cookies are fairly controllable (accept or reject each one) in Firefox, but I use Chrome pretty exclusively, and there's not a way in it to control each cookie. There are just a couple/few sites that I trust for coupon codes. I just clear my cache/history regularly.

I have a Nexus phone, and have therefore given my life over to Google, so I'm screwed no matter what.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, bilgistic said:

I've given up on the cookie fight. Cookies are fairly controllable (accept or reject each one) in Firefox, but I use Chrome pretty exclusively, and there's not a way in it to control each cookie. There are just a couple/few sites that I trust for coupon codes. I just clear my cache/history regularly.

I have a Nexus phone, and have therefore given my life over to Google, so I'm screwed no matter what.

I know. It's tough.  And I suppose that is another peeve of mine.  I have heard some VERY scary stories about people's cell phones knowing way too much about them.  I'd write it off as gossip or a vivid imagination, but, it's coming from well grounded, people that I know well and I'm pretty sure that they are NOT BSing me.  So, my peeve is that I may end up hiding in a basement/attic one day, trying to stay under the radar of the cell phone police who are trying to implant a tracker in my forehead! lol 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

I'm getting a lot of "spoof" emails right now, and it's pissing me off. There are emails that purport to be from Amazon, telling me that my order #[insert fake order number here] is out for delivery, and I need to click on some link or photo or something to claim my reward for being a loyal Amazon customer, or some such nonsense. It's infuriating because right now I am expecting a package from an Amazon 3rd party seller. The other ones are supposedly from AT&T, and consist of someone who is obviously not AT&T claiming that AT&T has doubled their admin fees, and so forth.  These people need to quit cluttering up my inbox. I detest junk email/spam anyway, but it's usually easy to spot most of them. Since I am a customer of both Amazon and AT&T, I have gotten fooled into opening the emails a couple of times, thinking they were legit emails.

Wow, I've never seen that particular scam before. Thanks for the heads up.

• Love 1

Look at this asshole's parking job. I was coming in from getting groceries when he was parking. My car is the red Honda at the far left of the picture; the entry to my side of the building is at the right. Incidentally, the concrete steps in the center of the shot are where my downstairs neighbors hang out by their patio/beneath my balcony and bedroom window and fight and/or laugh uproariously at 1am.

Yellow car guy doesn't live here, by the way. Asshole.

IMG_20180801_173327-1008x756.thumb.jpg.c859ccfd24e53b564db671d733e7040f.jpg

• Love 10

Taking up 2 spots like that is just rude, especially since the spots are lined, making it obvious.

I used to live at a complex where that yellow car, instead of being at a sidewalk, was at the top of a set of stairs. Sooooo annoying. In both scenarios, IMO, that spot should be marked for no parking.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, riley702 said:

Grr. One would be... devastated if it got a scratch.

I thought about taking out the trash and accidentally brushing against the car with my keys, but my karma's already shit. I don't need any more bad mojo.

I also thought about leaving an ugly note, but I need to maintain the structural integrity of my car's tires.

12 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Guys!!!!!!!!! That yellow car is probably Bumblebee and needs space to transform!

It needs to transform into a car owned by someone who isn't an asshole.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I used to live at a complex where that yellow car, instead of being at a sidewalk, was at the top of a set of stairs. Sooooo annoying. In both scenarios, IMO, that spot should be marked for no parking.

Before I moved into my house a year ago, I had been in an apartment complex for three years. In my part of the complex, the setup was that one flat 3BR apartment was the bottom floor, and then two townhouse style 3BR apartments were the 2nd and 3rd floors. There was an outside staircase, and the parking space in front of it was marked for no parking; the same system was used throughout the complex (for whatever configuration of 1 BR, 2 BR, or 3 BR apartments were in a given building) so that the area just in front of the stairs was marked for no parking. It was supposed to be a loading zone or just empty so that when you got home with groceries or whatever, you didn't have to maneuver around a car just to get to the stairs. My pet peeve then was the jerks who would decide the "no parking" spot was perfectly fine to park in. It's the type of mentality that decides rules don't apply to them, just to everybody else. 

• Love 4

I question the wisdom of drivers who park their nice, shiny car in the center of two spots (illegal parking drives me crazy)......it's very tempting for some not so civil person to key the hell out of it.  And, I would expect it, if it were me. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I question the wisdom of drivers who park their nice, shiny car in the center of two spots (illegal parking drives me crazy)......it's very tempting for some not so civil person to key the hell out of it.  And, I would expect it, if it were me. 

It does seem potentially counterproductive; they park that way because they believe their car to be oh-so-special (probably because it's doing double duty compensating for their penis) that it can't risk being touched by another car's door, but in so blatantly declaring themselves to be an inconsiderate jerk, they invite anyone around with poor impulse control to key their precious car.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7

I do feel a twinge of guilt at feeling peeved by weather, as I am thankful for all blessing from above, especially, our rain, HOWEVER, do you know how many consecutive days NC has had rain and thunder storms? TWO WEEKS.    It's beyond belief at this point and there is no relief in sight! 

• Love 1

Summer weather is a major peeve of mine. Why is so muggy for so long?! This is week 3 of having to keep the windows closed because of the humidity. And heat? Fuck it.  Bring on the snow.

• Love 3

Here's your regular update on What the Neighbors Downstairs are Doing.

The couple with the newborn–who, keep in mind, are staying with the original renters in their one-bedroom apartment–now have a little rat dog.

That brings the total count to six humans and four dogs in an 800-square-foot apartment.

I would have to move into my car if there were that many people constantly around me in that small a space.

• Love 8
On 8/1/2018 at 7:55 PM, bilgistic said:

I thought about taking out the trash and accidentally brushing against the car with my keys, but my karma's already shit. I don't need any more bad mojo.

I also thought about leaving an ugly note, but I need to maintain the structural integrity of my car's tires.

It needs to transform into a car owned by someone who isn't an asshole.

Plus he's a dumbass not only for parking like that--presumably to protect his prize penis substitute--but for doing it right there in front of the walkway, thus necessitating that more people have to walk close to it.

• Love 6
On 8/1/2018 at 11:49 AM, BookWoman56 said:

Yet another of the damn fake Amazon emails showed up today. I did a little online research and found that this is the setup: They tell you to take a survey and you will get a $50 prize/gift card, etc. You take the survey and then select your prize, which is "free" but you have to pay shipping. The shipping charge is usually some nominal amount and so people pay it. The catch? They then have your card info and begin charging your card every month for much larger amounts ($75 or so, according to a few sources) with some bogus claim that you are paying for maintenance or service of something.  Sample email is below. They do state at the bottom that they're not really affiliated with Amazon, but it's easy to overlook. These scammers can FOAD right now. There are lots of  Amazon customers who can't afford bogus charges of $75+/month, and even those who can afford it should not be getting ripped off like this.

Email subject line looks like this:

5b63d1ead0cc9_Fakeamazonemailsubjectline.PNG.b6f89b39c0dfedb45069090352a96fe9.PNG

Message looks like this:

5b63d0916a194_Fakeamazonemail.thumb.PNG.68862e37a11425164ca4918fca87f90c.PNG

• Love 5