Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, 2727 said:

Minor peeve: People looking at me like I'm crazy when I say I don't drink coffee. From my perspective, the entire coffee culture and expense is what's wacky. Caffeine addiction is real, y'all!

I've never even tasted coffee.  I don't like how it smells, so never saw any reason to taste it.

But I grew up when coffee was for adults.  Nobody I knew in college drank it.  Then all those kids at the Peach Pit started slugging down the stuff, and it became an all-ages beverage.

Coffee addicts.  The people who can't function until they've had their coffee.  If somebody went to work and said, "Don't talk to me until I have my belt of whisky," people would judge.

And yeah, the expense.  On the one hand, I have a little bit of stock in Starbucks so seeing the line at the drive-through always cheers me up, but egad, the amount of money people spend on coffee drinks almost scares me. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I love the way coffee smells and wished it tasted like it smells. But I drink it every morning anyway.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Regarding coffee. Here’s my question-how those who drink it straight up black? Haven’t become immune to the caffeine? That is built up a resistance. For me after one all-nighter in college, when I drank an entire pot of Mr. Coffee (albeit the small pot), I was up and jittery for the next 36 hours. Since then, caffeine has NO effect on me. And I know this because back in high school, when I took summer school, during a break, I had the coffee because I fell asleep during the first session. As soon as I had that cup, it was like being injected with energy and I was alert and awake for the rest of the class. That doesn’t happen anymore, or since that all nighter. 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Regarding coffee. Here’s my question-how those who drink it straight up black? Haven’t become immune to the caffeine? That is built up a resistant. For me after one late nighter in college, when I drank an entire pot of Mr. Coffee (albeit the small pot), I was up and jittery for the next 36 hours. Since then, caffeine has NO effect on me. And I know this because back in high school, when I took summer school, during a break, I had the coffee because I fell asleep during the first session. As soon as I had that cup, it was like being injected with energy and I was alert and awake for the rest of the class. That doesn’t happen anymore, or since that all nighter. 

That’s interesting. My guy loves espresso. He drinks it all day and after dinner. No sugar or sweetener. He’s Italian and it’s what they do (his perspective) so I had to learn to have it with him. At first I had to get used to the slight bitterness. Then the jolt of energy (which I used to clean the kitchen lol). Over time I think I’ve become immune to its effects. I can have an espresso and go to sleep two hours later. You might be onto something with your theory. I suspect that it effects all of us differently. I am a tea drinker. I have no more than two cuppas in the am. I drink it with the Coffeemate Sweet Italian Creamer and a tad of fat free milk. I’ll drink coffee if I’m traveling because I don’t like the taste of Lipton tea (which is usually what you get in a restaurant) and the water is never hot enough. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

That’s interesting. My guy loves espresso. He drinks it all day and after dinner. No sugar or sweetener. He’s Italian and it’s what they do (his perspective) so I had to learn to have it with him. At first I had to get used to the slight bitterness. Then the jolt of energy (which I used to clean the kitchen lol). Over time I think I’ve become immune to its effects. I can have an espresso and go to sleep two hours later. You might be onto something with your theory. I suspect that it effects all of us differently. I am a tea drinker. I have no more than two cuppas in the am. I drink it with the Coffeemate Sweet Italian Creamer and a tad of fat free milk. I’ll drink coffee if I’m traveling because I don’t like the taste of Lipton tea (which is usually what you get in a restaurant) and the water is never hot enough. 

I guess this is me too. I have been a tea drinker since forever but when I was in school I used to drink a lot and I mean a LOT of coffee. I quit because I don't drink it at home and kept wondering why I was getting all these headaches on weekends. It was caffeine withdrawal. But a couple years ago I got addicted to a tv show that came on at ten pm and so I bought some instant espresso so I could stay up. It had the opposite effect and I would conk out during the opening credits.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I had to quit drinking caffeine when I was very sick with Graves disease many years ago. The Graves and caffeine were not a good combo for my heart.

I didn't think I drank all that much but the withdrawal was not fun; headaches, foggy brained in the morning, general bitchiness. I've never gone back to drinking anything with caffeine even though the Graves is in remission.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Coffee addicts.  The people who can't function until they've had their coffee.  If somebody went to work and said, "Don't talk to me until I have my belt of whisky," people would judge.

Ha!  And also a good point. 

I don't drink coffee (I like the smell, but hate the taste), and I have PVCs (heart arrhythmia), so I don't consume much caffeine from other sources.  I have two friends who suffer withdrawal symptoms if it gets too late in the morning and they haven't had coffee, because their body needs that caffeine every day.  How is this not a problem? 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I don't care much for coffee - and certainly don't entertain the idea of spending good money at the likes of Starbucks and Costa just for a whipped coffee - far too bitter for my tastes. 

That said, you deny me a cup of tea for a whole day and I will get incredibly irritable!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I have Italian heritage, so we grew up drinking coffee.  My aunt gave all us kids coffee starting at 4 years old so I've been drinking it over 30 years.  I love coffee, but it has no effect on me whatsoever, other than the diuretic effects.  I drink it because I like the taste, but it does whatsoever nothing to keep me awake and never has.  I don't get any withdrawal symptoms either when I don't drink it. My preference is for the darker roast coffees, which actually have less caffeine than the blonder roasts, but these days I have to drink decaf because my stomach has decided it can no longer handle the caffeine.  I can't stand flavored bullshit coffee either.  I want coffee that tastes like coffee, not pumpkin spice or hazelnut or whatever. Add a splash of milk and a portion of one sugar, and I'm good to go. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

My mom is like me, and likes the smell of coffee but not the taste, but my dad drinks coffee (black).  He doesn't feel any effects from caffeine, though (and has no symptoms if he goes without it); he just likes the taste.  It takes a lot of caffeine for me to feel anything.  I stay away from large doses of it now, as I said, but I once took a caffeine pill to stay up all night writing a paper, and, boy, I felt that.  But when I used to drink soda, or caffeinated tea, I never felt a thing.  My best friend doesn't like coffee, so she'll drink a Coke to "wake up," but it never had that effect on me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I hate the taste of coffee, but love the smell. I drink Coke. Not Pepsi. Coke. They are not the same. If I can't have Coke, I'll go with Dr. Pepper, but it tends to upset my stomach. It used to not affect me much even at night, but as I've gotten older, it has started to affect me more. I can't drink it in the evening now if I want to go to sleep before midnight. I will also drink tea, unsweet if that's all there is, but preferably sweet -- and when I say sweet, I mean very sweet, what some people call sickeningly sweet -- and iced. I will drink hot tea, if it's English or Irish breakfast and sweet, and if it's not summer. It's too hot out now to drink a hot drink. And do NOT put lemon in my tea. That's my peeve: when I clearly say "no lemon" to the waiter and my tea comes back with lemon. That's an indication to me that the waiter is not listening.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I love a hot coffee, but want no part of anything coffee flavored or a cold coffee, no matter how much you dress it up.  As much as  I enjoy my morning coffee, if I had to have decaf I wouldn't bother at all.  I'm in it for the caffeine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

And yeah, the expense.  On the one hand, I have a little bit of stock in Starbucks so seeing the line at the drive-through always cheers me up, but egad, the amount of money people spend on coffee drinks almost scares me. 

I love coffee but I rarely go to Starbucks (or Dunkin Donuts, or wherever)- usually I'm on a business trip - because of the expense (and their black coffee is nasty) I buy 2.5lbs of coffee at Costco for $11.99 made daily in my travel mug from my $20 Mr. Coffee and I'm set for months. I want to get into cold-brew and/or grinding my own beans so I'll have a bit of an expense for those appliances but back to 2lbs of whole bean coffee for $12 or so.

6 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Regarding coffee. Here’s my question-how those who drink it straight up black? Haven’t become immune to the caffeine? That is built up a resistance. For me after one all-nighter in college, when I drank an entire pot of Mr. Coffee (albeit the small pot), I was up and jittery for the next 36 hours. 

I used to be able to drink caffeine all day and all night. Now, if I have any after about 11am I am up all night.

My pet peeve in regards to coffee is the Keurig. I know people swear by them but man, the coffee is terrible, cost per cup is outrageous (about $50 a pound) and the cups are so wasteful. I know you can get a filter and use your own coffee but I doubt most Keurig people doing that. I also don't buy "it's so easy in the morning". You know what else is easy?  Using a coffee pot. I set it up the night before (and used to have a machine that had a timer on it) but even if I forget it literally takes less than a minute to set-up. Certainly less time than it takes for the Keurig to heat water. The only waste is the biodegradable paper filter and coffee grounds.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Coffee is awesome, and not bad for you generally speaking and has been linked to a bunch of good things for you. Unlike whiskey. 

Okay, so change that to:  If somebody went to work and said, "Don't expect anything from me until I've had a glass of red wine," people would judge.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Regarding coffee. Here’s my question-how those who drink it straight up black? Haven’t become immune to the caffeine? That is built up a resistance. For me after one all-nighter in college, when I drank an entire pot of Mr. Coffee (albeit the small pot), I was up and jittery for the next 36 hours. Since then, caffeine has NO effect on me. And I know this because back in high school, when I took summer school, during a break, I had the coffee because I fell asleep during the first session. As soon as I had that cup, it was like being injected with energy and I was alert and awake for the rest of the class. That doesn’t happen anymore, or since that all nighter. 

 

Honestly, if I were to drink a cup of coffee at night (one cup, not several), I doubt it would affect me as far as sleeping goes. I'm a "sleep if you're tired, not because it's time to go to bed" person--if I'm super-tired, I don't think some coffee would change that. I'm also really used to coffee (maybe 4 cups of black a day). So, yeah, I guess you can build a tolerance?

I can function fine without it (though I don't like to!) but have on occasion gotten a headache. Also, if I feel a migraine coming on, if I get to it fast enough with a cup of coffee and just normal Advil, I'm good. It's too far gone if the stomach starts getting into it though, and then I need a migraine medicine (not often, thank god, and not as a result of coffee).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I apologize ahead of time but I need to vent. My guys son and granddaughter have been visiting for four days. She looks malnourished and weighs 48 lbs at the age of ten. Barely a size 7. She doesn’t eat vegetables and is allowed to eat junk. Only junk. The only Mac and cheese she’ll eat is Kraft. She barely picks at nutritious food and then gets rewarded with Reece’s Peanut Butter Cups and ice cream. I tried to approach her Dad and he got LOUD and shut me down real fast. I apologized and told him that it wasn’t my business and I’d not bring it up again. Wow. Since when do 10 year olds rule their families? I had made steak, mashed potatoes (I omitted sour cream and chives because she won’t eat anything green) and asparagus (I know...green but everyone else loves the way I cook it). I offered to make corn on the cob but my guy said no that it was too much starch. I was just searching for something that would pique her interest.  Last night she said that she was hungry for cucumbers so I got some Persian ones (the small flavorful ones) and after she poured half a bottle of Ranch dressing on it she ate one small slice. Tonight  I just wanted to make a meal that she would eat more than two bites of (no exaggeration). She chose the menu.  Again she ate 3 bites and then wanted to go to Cold Stone Creamery (ice cream place). I’m done. Not my circus. Not my monkey. I do love the child but I am just not used to allowing a child to dictate and oh the waste... She is also very small in height and I’m worried (as a former nurse) that she isn’t getting proper nutrition. 

Side note. I make a meal (as does my daughter) and my three grandchildren either eat it or starve. There are no rewards if you don’t eat your meal. Treats are just that...treats. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

. I make a meal (as does my daughter) and my three grandchildren either eat it or starve.

This is how I was raised too. But I see so many parents afraid to discipline their children, that it doesn't shock me that they are afraid to take control of their diet too. Your post is sad and frustrating.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

They - including your boyfriend (is this the same guy who didn't buy you a Christmas present and then drunkenly threatened to break up with you?) - are guests in your home.  Why are any of them making comments on what food you graciously prepare for them?

I know opinions vary on where to draw the line between "I'm not running a restaurant; you eat what I cook" and "Everyone has stuff they don't like, so I'll make extras so the meal appeals to everyone" when it comes to the family one is cooking for day-to-day, but this is just utter shit as a guest.  And incredibly disturbing as an indication of what is going on during that poor girl's daily meals at home.  She should NOT be allowed to refuse the balanced meals she needs and then get rewarded for it with more crap!  The crap has a place in all our lives (unless medically prohibited), but in moderation and as part of a generally nutritious diet.  She's being failed, yet you - the one with the least ability to do anything for her - are the only one who seems to realize that.  It's sad.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

@Mindthinkr, given that you have tried to make meals that would appeal to everyone, and yet your BF's son is evidently not interested in his daughter's nutritional needs being met, I would just tell him, look, if your daughter is unwilling to eat the food I am providing, then you need to either make her meals yourself or take her to a restaurant for food that she will eat. It is your home and while I think there is a responsibility as a host/hostess to make your guests comfortable, you're not a short order cook either. 

I can empathize with being a guest in a home where the meals are consistently something I hate; I spent a horrible few days at my former in-laws while they proceeded to serve meal after meal of stuff that I hated (duck, goose, seafood, etc.). After a few meals where I was essentially just eating a few bites of whatever tolerable side dishes were there, I just went out "shopping" for an hour or so each day and lived on peanut butter sandwiches and fast food for the rest of the week. They made zero effort to ask what kinds of food I liked or more importantly, what kinds of food I seriously disliked. When I am playing hostess, I try to find out ahead of time what the guests' preferences are, and when that's not possible, offer enough of a variety of stuff that the guests have options. So, I'll have healthy food and junk food available. But for a child that age, her parents should be monitoring the kinds of food she is eating. I don't think this is a case of the child dictating what the menu is so much as it is a case of the parent perhaps being unwilling to make nutritious meals on any consistent basis, so the kid is eating what she's used to eating. You'd think parents would understand their kids can't live primarily on junk food, but by the same token, one of my nephews married a girl who knew how to cook only two items, fried chicken and french fries, because she grew up with parents whose idea of dinner was drive-through at McD's. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

@Mindthinkr, this isn't going to help you now, but may give you hope for the future.  I was a very picky eater as a child.  My mom didn't make me eat things I didn't like.  She only insisted that I try it and if I didn't like it, I didn't have to eat it.  the exception was at my grandmother's  (and probably other people's houses) where I had to eat what was put in front of me.  It's also a little different because I wasn't fed junk food in lieu of veggies.  But, my point is, that now as a grown up, I am still a bit picky, but nowhere near what I was when I was a kid and am still willing to try almost anything.  I even tried sushi, but, yuck. I eat fairly healthily.  I love salads and veggies and all that. So, there is hope for the future.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

@Mindthinkr - Do you and your bf live together?  I'm trying to figure out why you would be making multiple meals for his son and granddaughter.  In any event, you can't change in 4 days the pattern that has been set in their family.  I don't think it is a unique situation though in younger families (not all).

Like @Katy M, I was a picky eater as a kid - food literally did not taste good to me.  I existed on a very limited diet, but it was an overall healthy one but I still ate very little in the total quantity of food.  The only fresh fruit and vegetables I ate were apples, oranges/tangerines, carrots & celery.  It wasn't until I got older that my tastes started to broaden.  When we were kids, if we ate at someone else 's house the rule was you ate some of everything and said Thank You.  Mom never required we eat everything we were served though. 

In the future, prepare the meals that you want but make sure there are some foods available that are more kid friendly (but not junk for dinner) whether it is a fruit & veggie plate or cheese & crackers.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

@DeLurker No we don’t live together. We have homes next door to each other. We are used to eating together every night. He usually cooks but he got mad because all she wanted was pasta with butter and Parmesan cheese (a lot of it) sprinkled on top. He gave up.  Due to his frustration I point blank asked the child what she wanted to eat. Then I’d shop and  fix or cook it how she wanted. I understand why he got mad (and ultimately frustrated me) is that you go to a lot of time and work to give her what she wants and then it’s 1-3 bites. A half hour later he Dad rewards her by going for ice cream or Reece’s peanut butter cups. All she wants is sugary junk food. Her Dad took her out to lunch. She wanted grilled cheese. He cut the crusts off as per her and she had one bite and declared it wasn’t what she wanted after all. So an order of pasta with butter and cheese was next. Again one bite. He didn’t want to buy her a third lunch so they left. Then soon after she wanted candy and ice cream plus a bakery stop for cupcakes. As I stated she is malnourished, underweight and height for her age. As a former nurse I’m scared that she is not getting what she needs to develop properly. To help you understand how she is enabled here’s another example. She walks on her tippy toes. Her pediatrician wanted her to wear special shoes and braces at night to fix the problem. Of course there was no compliance so nothing is changed. She’s spoiled rotten. Everyone bends over backwards to get her what she wants and because she’s been allowed to do this for so long nothing ever changes and she rules the roost. I appreciate your suggestion about veggie and fruit platters but she won’t eat it or just one bite. I’ve never in years seen her eat fruit. I have given up. I meant well but since nothing is ever good enough I’m bowing out. She’s coming back in 2 weeks with her Mom for a week and I might have to only be partially available. “I’m sorry, I had previous plans to dine out with one of my girlfriends”. 

My finicky cats are easier to feed! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

@Mindthinkr - Having alternate plans sounds like the best idea.  I can see why you would be so concerned given your medical background, but it seems like the pattern has been set in the family.  I'd probably tell the mom on the next visit that you are making x, y & z for dinner and if she thinks her daughter would prefer something else than feel free to bring it (prepared!) for her.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I agree with Delurker. This situation isn’t good at all for the child, but given their reaction to you, I’d extend an invite if you want but be clear on what you’re offering. If they don’t like it, then they can do something else. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Don't get me started on how some parents have ZERO interest, concern or focus on their children's nutrition.  It can go both ways.  The young child can also be very overweight, as well as underweight, but, not draw any concern from the parent.

There's not much you can do from the outside and little chance the parent will change.  It's unfortunate.  What I decided to do was prepare a tasty, nutritious meal, consisting of a protein, whole grain carb with a couple of veggies options and some healthy fats.  That way if they don't like green beans, they can have broccoli.  And, I wouldn't avoid green food, because a child may say that they don't like it one minute, but, taste it and like it the next.  IMO, adults underestimate a child's palate and over indulge them in foods that really are nothing more than chemicals, flavoring and salt.  At least, I'd be the person in that child's mind and memory who tried to do right by her.  She'll remember it and it may be a positive thing for her one day. 

And if anyone complains, I explain that I wanted to serve the child the best that I could and that's why I served that meal. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Don't get me started on how some parents have ZERO interest, concern or focus on their children's nutrition.  It can go both ways.  The young child can also be very overweight, as well as underweight, but, not draw any concern from the parent.

There's not much you can do from the outside and little chance the parent will change.  It's unfortunate.  What I decided to do was prepare a tasty, nutritious meal, consisting of a protein, whole grain carb with a couple of veggies options and some healthy fats.  That way if they don't like green beans, they can have broccoli.  And, I wouldn't avoid green food, because a child may say that they don't like it one minute, but, taste it and like it the next.  IMO, adults underestimate a child's palate and over indulge them in foods that really are nothing more than chemicals, flavoring and salt.  At least, I'd be the person in that child's mind and memory who tried to do right by her.  She'll remember it and it may be a positive thing for her one day. 

And if anyone complains, I explain that I wanted to serve the child the best that I could and that's why I served that meal. 

I got my son to eat broccoli by putting cheese on it. Once he got used to the taste he is fine eating it without the cheese. Children, especially children of divorce who are shuttled around a lot have so little control over anything in their lives that food becomes one of the few things they can control. I completely understand your frustration, Mindthinkr, it has to be frustrating when you work hard to provide healthful meals but your BF's son is doing his daughter no favors by giving in to her demands. Divorced parents probably have some guilt and try to assuage it by making the child "happy" short term. Maybe get her interested in cooking? She is certainly not too young. You could start by having her help you prepare cookies and you can use the opportunity to weigh food values and nutrition in a non-judgemental way, just very objective.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I got my son to eat broccoli by putting cheese on it. Once he got used to the taste he is fine eating it without the cheese. Children, especially children of divorce who are shuttled around a lot have so little control over anything in their lives that food becomes one of the few things they can control. I completely understand your frustration, Mindthinkr, it has to be frustrating when you work hard to provide healthful meals but your BF's son is doing his daughter no favors by giving in to her demands. Divorced parents probably have some guilt and try to assuage it by making the child "happy" short term. Maybe get her interested in cooking? She is certainly not too young. You could start by having her help you prepare cookies and you can use the opportunity to weigh food values and nutrition in a non-judgemental way, just very objective.

That’s how I rationalized his $50O spending spree on 3 bathing suits, a cute tee shirt and a dress/beach coverup. Ha...I don’t afford myself hundred dollar swimsuits and I’m done growing. 

I have tried the cooking suggestion you provided. She’s so used to being entertained that it lasts about 5-8 minutes. On the other half of the coin all of my grandies can cook to some modicum because they were allowed to play in the kitchen with my daughter and me. 

I don’t want to be a negative Nancy. I think after this two week breather I’ll get over this and try again with some of everyone’s suggestions. She might even be less manipulative because it’s her mother that she primarily lives with and therefore not always able to get her own way. It must be terrible these days to be a divorced person with children. Kids have mastered manipulation at an early age and use it to get what they want. Seems no matter how hard the parents try someone always can find fault. I don’t want to find fault anymore. I’m going to have to change my inner narrative to just being grateful to have this adorable little person in my life and let her parents worry about food, growth and nutrition. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

@Mindthinkr, what would happen if you asked her specifically to help you plan (and maybe prepare) the menu? Would it go the same way as the two-bites-of-cucumber incident? Or would she maybe dig playing host with you and even learning why it's fun to have an assortment of foods? 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

@Mindthinkr, what would happen if you asked her specifically to help you plan (and maybe prepare) the menu? Would it go the same way as the two-bites-of-cucumber incident? Or would she maybe dig playing host with you and even learning why it's fun to have an assortment of foods? 

Cooking with her just yields results like the cucumber incident.

I’m beginning to think she likes the attention of all of us fussing and doing her biddings food wise. When she changes what she is inclined to eat in the middle of a meal that means someone has to stop eating their dinner and go to the stove to redo with her new choice. We have all taken turns at cold meals. I think she’s smart enough to know what she’s doing. That she enjoys manipulating everything to stop and focus on her. I truly love the child but some days it’s hard for me to like her (more because of her actions than who her personality is). Forgive me. This is not the type of adult (manipulator) I want to see her grow up into. As she grows older and faces peer pressure I’m sure she’ll change some of these behaviors.

I apologize for taking up so much room on this peeve thread. See, she’s still ‘winning’. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

@Mindthinkr, that little girl sounds like such a spoiled brat. Sorry you’re having to deal with her weird food issues while being the consummate hostess. She honestly sounds like she needs some therapy of some sort or it’s going to get much, much worse...you’re so right that she’s enjoying the sick power of being so demanding. Shame on her parents for not raising her better and allowing her to eat such trash, reinforcing poor food choices. Not my mom—-if I didn’t want what she fixed, I didn’t eat. Thank goodness I’m not a picky eater!

 

Here’s my peeve of the day:

So I got pretty shitfaced yesterday. Did some serious day-drinking with some friends, it soon turned into night-drinking, and my drunk ass ended up blacking out somewhere along the way. And then my dumb ass fell off a stair somewhere, resulting in scrubbing up my knee and foot pretty grossly in front of all my friends. 

Let’s just say I’m shockingly not hungover, but I am pretty embarrassed—-I proudly admit to being your typical lush, but it was a painful reminder that I’m too old to be tossing back drinks and downing shots like a sorority girl. I honestly am lucky I didn’t hurt myself any worse; it’s all good silly fun until you start breaking bones and twisting ankles, right?

So I’m peeved that I need to start watching myself and slowing my roll; I always prided myself on holding my liquor well while being a happy fun drunk, but age and experience has gradually showed me that I’m officially too clutzy to power-drink with friends. I’m also peeved that it’s summer and now I have two fugly big gashes on my left leg!

Drink responsibly, folks.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Sun-Bun I feel your peeve! Been there myself. My drinking peeve is this. No one believes that I actually drink Bud Light because I like it. Yes, I know it's not cool to like Bud Light when there's so many other choices. I've tried some others, but I like Bud Light. I like the taste and I like that I know how two beers effect me, four beers, six beers. So I can stay in control (if I choose to!). So the peeve - when my friends invite me to a party or to their cabin, I ask if I should stop at the liquor store to get my beer. They say "no, we're set" - and then they have four or five different beers - but none of them are Bud Light! And they're so pleased to present me with the beer they think I should drink! So I have to travel with my own six pack any time I go anywhere (even though they stocked the fridge with what everyone else likes!)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Oh my goodness, I am so with you--except Bud Light Lime. I'll try other stuff and even like some, but when presented a menu full of various and fancy beers, I'm stumped.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

@Nordly Beaumont & @TattleTeeny, I’m admittedly among those folks you describe—-I’m the craft beer snob who desperately tries to get all you Bud Light fans to finally join the dark side and learn to appreciate just how artfully flavorful and complex beer can truly be!((one of my beer snob friends even refers to Bud Lite as “that cat piss.”))

But hey, the heart wants what it wants! There’s a good reason why Bud Light is still so beloved by so many. Hell, wish I’d been drinking that last night and not pounding those 8% ABV and above beers/shots that messed my leg and me up!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, I'll try recommendations in that kind of settings (and I'll also drink whatever's handy, haha [even Teresa Giudice's Fabellini--it was during a hurricane and there was no power so no judging!]); it's just when reading a list full of fanciness, I (a) get kind of lost and (b) often end up not liking it anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:13 AM, Quof said:

Why, oh why, do people insist on using the verb "to be" as a universal fill in for other verbs???? It makes me stabby.

"So, I'm like.... and then she's like...." 

What you mean to say is "I said.... and then she did...."

It makes the Baby Jesus cry.

Yes, and it's worse when people say, "Then I'm like …….."   and they make a noise, or  a face, or both,  to indicate how they felt.  Use WORDS, DAMMIT!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

So the peeve - when my friends invite me to a party or to their cabin, I ask if I should stop at the liquor store to get my beer. They say "no, we're set" - and then they have four or five different beers - but none of them are Bud Light! And they're so pleased to present me with the beer they think I should drink! So I have to travel with my own six pack any time I go anywhere (even though they stocked the fridge with what everyone else likes!)

I confess I wouldn't drink Bud Light unless I was about to die of thirst (I hate light beer, period, and find that one particularly blech), but when I know a friend prefers something specific, I make sure to have it on hand even if it's not something I drink.  You specifically ask about Bud Light and they lie about having it?!  Rude, no matter how much better they believe their offerings to be.  I have a friend who loves Jack Daniel's whiskey.  I have Maker's Mark, Woodford Reserve, and/or Knob Creek at any given time.  I don't dislike Jack, but I can't imagine wanting it when any of those are available (especially when someone else is buying), but, hey - that's her favorite, so I make sure to have some when she's coming over.  I don't tell her I do and then try to make her drink something else!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

 No we don’t live together. We have homes next door to each other. We are used to eating together every night. He usually cooks but he got mad because all she wanted was pasta with butter and Parmesan cheese (a lot of it) sprinkled on top. He gave up.  Due to his frustration I point blank asked the child what she wanted to eat. Then I’d shop and  fix or cook it how she wanted. I understand why he got mad (and ultimately frustrated me) is that you go to a lot of time and work to give her what she wants and then it’s 1-3 bites. A half hour later he Dad rewards her by going for ice cream or Reece’s peanut butter cups. All she wants is sugary junk food. Her Dad took her out to lunch. She wanted grilled cheese. He cut the crusts off as per her and she had one bite and declared it wasn’t what she wanted after all. So an order of pasta with butter and cheese was next. Again one bite. He didn’t want to buy her a third lunch so they left. Then soon after she wanted candy and ice cream plus a bakery stop for cupcakes. As I stated she is malnourished, underweight and height for her age. As a former nurse I’m scared that she is not getting what she needs to develop properly. To help you understand how she is enabled here’s another example. She walks on her tippy toes. Her pediatrician wanted her to wear special shoes and braces at night to fix the problem. Of course there was no compliance so nothing is changed. She’s spoiled rotten. Everyone bends over backwards to get her what she wants and because she’s been allowed to do this for so long nothing ever changes and she rules the roost. I appreciate your suggestion about veggie and fruit platters but she won’t eat it or just one bite. I’ve never in years seen her eat fruit. I have given up. I meant well but since nothing is ever good enough I’m bowing out. She’s coming back in 2 weeks with her Mom for a week and I might have to only be partially available. “I’m sorry, I had previous plans to dine out with one of my girlfriends”. 

My finicky cats are easier to feed! 

Ok - some red flags here.  

Food and texture sensitivities plus walking on tiptoes -  this could be a developmental issue.  Some kids on the autism spectrum have these two things in common, along with a speech or social delay.    With some kids, it's not a matter of being spoiled, they are abnormally sensitive to flavors and textures.  Some kids who were preemies also struggle with similar issues. 

Since she's not your kid, there's not much you can do.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:53 PM, theredhead77 said:

My pet peeve in regards to coffee is the Keurig. I know people swear by them but man, the coffee is terrible, cost per cup is outrageous (about $50 a pound) and the cups are so wasteful. I know you can get a filter and use your own coffee but I doubt most Keurig people doing that. I also don't buy "it's so easy in the morning". You know what else is easy?  Using a coffee pot. I set it up the night before (and used to have a machine that had a timer on it) but even if I forget it literally takes less than a minute to set-up. Certainly less time than it takes for the Keurig to heat water. The only waste is the biodegradable paper filter and coffee grounds.

Yeah, I have a Keurig.  My husband leaves for work early, and has coffee at work.  I have ONE cup of coffee in the morning before I go to work.  I'm not making a pot of coffee for one cup.  I bought the Keurig because I had been stopping at Dunkin Donuts for coffee on my way to work, and realized I was spending way too much money.  

I buy K-kups on sale all the time, and use coupons.  I found that the office supply stores, like STAPLES, have good deals on them. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, backformore said:

I'm not making a pot of coffee for one cup.

That is the big benefit of them. 

I started using a French press this spring replacing my four cup (or two standard coffee mugs) Mr Coffee. The French press could easily be scaled down to a single mug. It is an excellent choice for anyone who already has an electric kettle and likes coffee. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, backformore said:

Some kids who were preemies

She was. You might be onto something there. Thanks for that insight. I hadn’t thought of that. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

It is an excellent choice for anyone who already has an electric kettle and likes coffee. 

I have an electric kettle and it’s one of my favorite things. Bought it for $20 on sale. It has clear glass and I can see inside it for mineral deposits or cleanliness. Even though I’m a tea drinker it boils in half the time (and I’m suspecting cost) of what boiling a pot of water on my stove top would take. (No gas...high water labels). It does have so many other uses (risotto or gravy water) and I should look into a French Press to have for my coffee drinking friends who come to visit. What a good idea. *big smile* 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have an electric kettle and it’s one of my favorite things. Bought it for $20 on sale. It has clear glass and I can see inside it for mineral deposits or cleanliness. Even though I’m a tea drinker it boils in half the time (and I’m suspecting cost) of what boiling a pot of water on my stove top would take. (No gas...high water labels). It does have so many other uses (risotto or gravy water) and I should look into a French Press to have for my coffee drinking friends who come to visit. What a good idea. *big smile* 

I love my kettle too!

I make my coffee with a Melita style single cup pour-over cone and paper filter.  Cleaning a coffee press is one of my pet peeves!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, backformore said:

Ok - some red flags here.  

Food and texture sensitivities plus walking on tiptoes -  this could be a developmental issue.  Some kids on the autism spectrum have these two things in common, along with a speech or social delay.    With some kids, it's not a matter of being spoiled, they are abnormally sensitive to flavors and textures.  Some kids who were preemies also struggle with similar issues. 

Since she's not your kid, there's not much you can do.  

Beat me right to it, @backformore!! I’ve worked with autistic students for the past 7 years. She sounds *exactly* like some of the picky eater/tip-toed types in my classroom. Texture is a big deal for most of those students and tip-toe walking is quite typical too. Couple that with some of her obvious social issues and now I’m feeling guilty for immediately assuming that she was just a typical spoiled brat. That may even be why her parents are caving in to all her demands so far—-they could be aware that something is up and are feeling guilty.

That being said, she really needs to be tested already to see if that may be an issue. If she has certain repetitive twitches/talks to herself(aka “stemming”) then she most definitely is on the spectrum.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

That being said, she really needs to be tested already to see if that may be an issue. If she has certain repetitive twitches/talks to herself(aka “stemming”) then she most definitely is on the spectrum.

That gives me more insight but after being screamed to at the dinner table (his father got profuse apologies the next day but I got none except “I’m sorry I blew up at you”) I’m just going to have to pray for the child but keep my nose out of it. I will be continuing to offer her the food that she wants and somewhat catering to her food issues. I can’t approach testing because that would just put me back in the hot seat. A shame isn’t it. I will say that I think she’s a mixture of special needs combined with being spoiled and manipulative. Just my opinion but I will look up what y’all have told me and watch for further signs and the best clinical way to handle them. Thank you so much everyone for your continued support and ideas. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

That gives me more insight but after being screamed to at the dinner table (his father got profuse apologies the next day but I got none except “I’m sorry I blew up at you”) I’m just going to have to pray for the child but keep my nose out of it. I will be continuing to offer her the food that she wants and somewhat catering to her food issues

You are an angel. If someone screamed at me in my own home, they would kindly be told "If you are going to eat while visiting my home, its my rules. I cook one dinner, if you or your child don't like it, please feel free to make alternative plans." I was a picky eater too, but there is no reason to disrespect someone else's hospitality.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah,  I'd be raising a stink to the dad's father about the way his son treated me in my own home. And son wouldn't be invited back without a bigger apology.

I've got two peeves today. One is the heat--it was 111 degrees here yesterday, the 10th 100+ degree day in a row. I hate summer.

Number two is posters/people who dominate a conversation with themselves. They are always sicker than everyone else, their problems are always bigger than anyone else's, their issues are always harder than anyone else has ever faced. It's not anyone here, there's just a small talk forum where I know 9 times out of 10 who the new post is going to be from. I've taken to avoiding this area because I just don't have the patience or sympathy to listen to that poster anymore. Which makes me feel guilty, ugh. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size