Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

• Start Topic

On 7/14/2018 at 8:32 PM, AgentRXS said:

I WISH the county would put dash cams in our trucks as its our word against these idiots, who are usually too busy on their phone to pay attention to the road. I'm so annoyed with having to defend myself when I'm the careful and present driver.

Sorry you dealt with that—-and maybe one day ALL cars will be outfitted with video cameras to film all those irritating moments on the road with careless drivers. It’s sad that we’re at a point in which regular driver distraction almost requires this as a safety feature.

It frustrating beyond belief how many people I see texting/scrolling *while* driving!! Just the other day I was in the left lane and getting beyond frustrated with the driver in front of me driving slower than usual in the lane and weaving a bit. So naturally I go around this buffoon, staring him down as I do so, only to see that his nose is completely buried down into his phone. What an IDIOT. Sadly though, that’s not the first time I’ve seen this happen and it likely won’t be the last.

For chrissakes, I can understand maybe quickly checking your phone while at a light or stuck in gridlock, but just typing/scrolling away while driving along like that? I’ll never get it—-and distracted dumbasses like those are the reason we see so many more accidents than we used to on the highways.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, forumfish said:

ETA -- I thought of you all today as my sister and I encountered a rude driver (or 2 or 3) on our way to the bookstore. It's getting to the point that I want to rent a whole bunch of balloons to tie on my car so people can see me. 'cause clearly the reason they almost hit me as they pass is that my car must be wrapped in an invisibility cloak, right?

The theory I came up with years ago was that someone put a "Cut Me Off" sign on my car.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:18 PM, Kiki777 said:

Sorry about that- it's pronounces 'nexium' (like the heartburn pills lol).  A bizarre sex-cult/pyramid-scheme that made the news earlier this year when the 2 top people were arrested.  They'd lure people in with weird 'empowerment' workshops and they were encouraged/pressured to recruit people.  No actual product being sold other than bullshit.

Oh yeah, and they they branded women with the leaders' initials and took naked pictures of them so they had something to blackmail them with.  

Ok, thanks.   Yes, I had heard of that weird pyramid/cult, but didn't connect it to the name.  

Last week I posted about being peeved about jury duty, having to take the car to the train then walk a mile to the court, and then having to pay for water and coffee and only getting paid $17.20 for the day.

So today I get a notice from the bank that THE FUCKING CHECK BOUNCED!!!

Not only do I not get my $17.20, but I'm also out a service fee for a bad check!!!!

Screw you, Cook county!

• Love 12
(edited)

So remember the neighbor with the light? Now he has a new patio light, that he put at an angle so it shined directly in my face. I walked over there and moved the lampshade to an angle so that the light is facing upward. He asked what I was doing. I said, I will NOT have any light of his shining directly in my direction and I will move it away from me every single time. I told him to go ahead and call the police and/or landlord and I am sure that they will agree that his light cannot be shined in my general direction. He didn't say anything and just went inside.

Also, I took advantage of Prime Day and decided to buy my own dash cam. This is after the incident today where a man in a blue car turned left from the right hand lane, and cut me off mid-turn, almost hitting me.  While in front of me, he brake-checked me and came to a complete stop in the middle of the road. I went around him and he proceeded to follow me home. I got on the phone ready to call the police, and asked him why he did that. He said "Just to see what you would do".  I said I have pic of his license plate (I didn't) and if he didn't get away from my house in two seconds, I would call the police. He drove off.

I don't know if its a full moon lately or what, but after that? Yeah, portable dash cam is going in my car and will be transferred to my work truck during my shift.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 12
22 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

So remember the neighbor with the light? Now he has new patio light, that he put at an angle so it shined directly in my face. I walked over there and moved the lampshade to an angle so that the light so that it is facing upward. He asked what I was doing. I said, I will NOT have any light of his shining directly in my direction and I will move it away from me every single time. I told him to go ahead and call the police and/or landlord and I am sure that they will agree that his light cannot be shined in my general direction. He didn't say anything and just went inside.

I really think its a bad idea to be engaging with this person at all.

So I think I mentioned watching that True Crime show "Fear Thy Neighbor" one too many times (one time is too many).  And I am probably hypersensitive to commonalities on that show and have developed a knee jerk reaction that certain things are predictors of bloodshed (and being fed to a snake - its a truly horrifying show) when not everyone who does those things murders their neighbor.

The one common thing on that show is that the asshole neighbor uses flood lights as part of a campaign to terrorize their neighbor.

At this point he is escalating.  Someone talked to him about the floodlight.  So now he got another light and is intentionally angling it at you.  You should think about whether you are going to escalate too.  If he doesn't back down after this then how safe is it to continue going over there and moving his light.  Can he claim you are trespassing? And what does he think he can get away with claiming that?

2 hours ago, backformore said:

Last week I posted about being peeved about jury duty, having to take the car to the train then walk a mile to the court, and then having to pay for water and coffee and only getting paid $17.20 for the day.

So today I get a notice from the bank that THE FUCKING CHECK BOUNCED!!!

Not only do I not get my $17.20, but I'm also out a service fee for a bad check!!!!

Screw you, Cook county!

You should email the local news then add this to it to make the new more interested.  Cook County State's Attorney has a bad check restitution program to help local merchants.  Offenders can avoid criminal prosecution by attending a class and paying restitution.  But the government is exempted from their own program.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

.  Can he claim you are trespassing?

I don't think so. We share a quadplex so I think, by law, anything outside your front door is considered common area.

• Love 5

Is anyone else trying to shop on Amazon during Prime Day? What a mess! The site keeps freezing and half of what I had saved in my cart disappeared. How was a juggernaut like Amazon not prepared for their own sale?

• Love 4

I had my brother order me stuff because he has Prime.  I just reload an Amazon gift card that he uses for payment for my stuff.  He hasn't mentioned any problems with ordering, but if he had any I will hear about it when we have coffee on Friday and he'll make me buy him a pastry as compensation for the hassle.

I only got one thing on a Prime Day special - an Alta HR fitbit.  The other stuff I wanted - replacement bands for said Fitbit and a UE Boom were not on a Prime Sale, but decently priced.

Twofer:

Contacting customer support and getting different answers depending who you talk to. (Not to mention needing to contact them more than once.)

Monthly subscription services that try to lock you in with autopay. I (tried) to give someone a food delivery gift card. The Hello Fresh card just plain didn't work. Tried the code, tried the link, kept getting an error message. I attempted to do it for her and it charged me again. Then my account wouldn't work. Called support and got everything cancelled. Started over with Blue Apron. That looked to be okay except it wouldn't let her use the gift card until she entered her own cc number, despite the site saying it wasn't required for gift cards. She understandably didn't want to do that. I contacted their customer support and cancelled them as well.

Morning well spent!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, emma675 said:

Is anyone else trying to shop on Amazon during Prime Day? What a mess! The site keeps freezing and half of what I had saved in my cart disappeared. How was a juggernaut like Amazon not prepared for their own sale?

Yesterday was a nightmare, today was better. I picked up a Kindle Paperwhite and a Firestick yesterday. I misread the Kindle trade-in 25% promotion (I think a lot of people did). It's trade-in and get 25% off your next purchase not trade it in and get 25% credited on your current purchase.

Today I picked up a cat toy, a Sous Vide machine and a trunk organizer.

• Love 3

Tonight my neighbors have gone outside a couple times to holler at each other. This started just after 11. I thought I heard yelling the other night. The noise brought me to a foggy half-awakened state, so I wasn't sure the next day if I dreamed it, but now I know.

Maybe they don't want to yell in front of the other couple and their baby, so why not do it outside in front of half the complex?

The whole brood was out there whooping it up after midnight last night. I really don't care that they are out there. I just wish they could be respectful of others by being quiet. That's not hard.

Bless the rest of my neighbors for being calm and respectful.

• Love 6

Sacagawea-book update: UGH! They have not a one in stock that is printed correctly--none! So now, to get my (found) money back, I have to trek my ass to a UPS store to get these returned for a credit.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Tonight my neighbors have gone outside a couple times to holler at each other. This started just after 11. I thought I heard yelling the other night. The noise brought me to a foggy half-awakened state, so I wasn't sure the next day if I dreamed it, but now I know.

Maybe they don't want to yell in front of the other couple and their baby, so why not do it outside in front of half the complex?

The whole brood was out there whooping it up after midnight last night. I really don't care that they are out there. I just wish they could be respectful of others by being quiet. That's not hard.

Bless the rest of my neighbors for being calm and respectful.

Call the non-emergency line for your local PD and ask them to send a car by when it's going on that late. That's violating noise ordinances in probably every city.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Call the non-emergency line for your local PD and ask them to send a car by when it's going on that late. That's violating noise ordinances in probably every city.

Ugh, we had neighbors like that a couple of years ago, and our other neighbors would call the cops on them multiple times a night every Friday, Saturday and sometimes Sunday nights. They were college kids who thought it was cool to party in the middle of a residential neighborhood full of retirees and young families. The police never did anything until one of our neighbors went down to the police station, demanded to see a high-ranking person, and laid out all of the times the police had been called over the proceeding months (bless her for keeping track of dates and times). Turns out the owners of the house (who were renting to the college kids) had a brother on the police force so it was being handled discreetly (e.g. not at all). What I think really did it was that another neighbor started texting the owners multiple times a night every night it happened, and at all hours of the morning. Apparently they didn't like getting lots of texts at 3am. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, MargeGunderson said:

What I think really did it was that another neighbor started texting the owners multiple times a night every night it happened, and at all hours of the morning. Apparently they didn't like getting lots of texts at 3am. 

Probably not!

Years ago my next door neighbor would blast his music so loud my walls would shake. Now this complex was super old with super thin walls but this was over the top. The "courtesy patrol" wouldn't do anything so I started calling the police. The first time he didn't answer and they left a note. The second time they pounded on the door until he answered and then the guy had the balls to say "I don't know what music you're talking about". I just remember the cops being WTF? We heard the music!

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Probably not!

Years ago my next door neighbor would blast his music so loud my walls would shake. Now this complex was super old with super thin walls but this was over the top. The "courtesy patrol" wouldn't do anything so I started calling the police. The first time he didn't answer and they left a note. The second time they pounded on the door until he answered and then the guy had the balls to say "I don't know what music you're talking about". I just remember the cops being WTF? We heard the music!

Oh, it wasn't the people making the noise, it was the actual owners of the house (who lived about a mile away) that my neighbor texted repeatedly. And called them at work to ask what they were going to do about the tenants. Several times a week. She's very persistent! 

• Love 5
On 7/17/2018 at 2:28 PM, emma675 said:

What were you trying to get?

(edited)
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Sacagawea-book update: UGH! They have not a one in stock that is printed correctly--none! So now, to get my (found) money back, I have to trek my ass to a UPS store to get these returned for a credit.

Maybe contact the publisher and tell them about your inability to get a copy of the actual book because of the misprint. They might not know about it since the misprinted books are still being sent out. (Though I don't know how they haven't been told by now and issued a recall, but whatever.) You might get a free book out of it!

4 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Considering that neither management nor animal control (which is part of the police department here) never did anything about their dogs barking and whining non-stop all day, every day for the first several months they lived here (and they still bark/whine for a while after the human inhabitants leave the apartment), nothing is going to change their noise level now. Someone reported them recently because the wife was outside complaining about it the other night.

Later on last night/middle of the night, she was outside sobbing and her husband was sitting with her, attempting to comfort her. They were the ones yelling at each other earlier, i.e., not the people living with them, and she was saying something about him calling her some name/word/something that triggered her and he knew how it made her feel, etc. I could hear all this from my bed; I didn't even have to go to the window to look or hear better.

They seem to be in their late 20s, maybe. They act pretty young and seem fairly unhappy together. They make me thankful I'm single. I can't imagine having been married in my 20s or now, for that matter.

If I see her outside, I might ask her if everything is OK, since I heard them arguing and her crying. If there's something other than a general unhappy marriage going on, they need to split. If not, maybe she'll understand that they're inviting everyone into their business by being so vocal and out in the open.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

If I see her outside, I might ask her if everything is OK, since I heard them arguing and her crying. If there's something other than a general unhappy marriage going on, they need to split. If not, maybe she'll understand that they're inviting everyone into their business by being so vocal and out in the open.

Be very careful about doing something like this. Too many times people will think that you are interfering or if you sympathize with one you’ll inherit the ire of the other. Then they make up and you are the enemy. Think of the many other ways they could make your life uncomfortable living there. I’d fear for your safety. Just be very very careful. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Be very careful about doing something like this. Too many times people will think that you are interfering or if you sympathize with one you’ll inherit the ire of the other. Then they make up and you are the enemy. Think of the many other ways they could make your life uncomfortable living there. I’d fear for your safety. Just be very very careful. 

This, so, so much.

• Love 3

My charger for my laptop broke.  Battery dead.

I hate using my mobile device to post.  The stockholders keeps fixing my writing when I typed the words I wanted to use correctly.  It's decided I couldn't possibly mean what I typed.

I mean seriously who would complain about this lovely little feature that corrects words from what you typed to something that shares no relation or even a similar spelling?

Of course now that it knows what I am composing about, it has stopped doing spell check for clearly in correct words but it's still hiding the cause of my life and my it's itself.

Decided ring

Stockholders = autocorrect

Composing = complaining

Life = ire

It's = ire

Decided ring = decoder ring

• Love 6

Well my Prime Day order that was placed yesterday arrived in the mail today.  So my new FitBit Alta HR is getting a full charge after being setup and my daughter helpfully has swapped out the band with one of the replacement bands.

• Love 1

This is OUT OF CONTROL! The number in parentheses before the word "spam" indicates the number of times the caller has called. Seven times in a row!!! My default ringtone is silent, so at least I don't hear my phone ringing constantly.

Yes, I'm on the Do Not Call registry. It does nothing anymore.

Screenshot_20180719-152449.thumb.png.aef583c28c416d758a536171bc97f5f9.png

• Love 4
1 hour ago, forumfish said:

I've been irritable all day and little things that should be minor annoyances, like spilling a chocolate protein drink on a new shirt, and later opening the medicine cabinet and having a whole bunch of crap fall out, are really setting me off.

I envisioned this sequence of events happening in black and white like in the "before" stage of an infomercial.

• Love 2

Thank heavens its Friday afternoon and I can now "unplug" from my work commitments for another couple of days! But of course it doesn't work like that: I still get badgered by my clients and prospective new customers throughout the weekend despite the fact I "close early" on a Friday afternoon until Monday morning (I do this in order to give myself a chance to catch up with my other work commitments at the weekend). But they just don't seem to understand "closed" and instead send me emails, text messages or voice mails wanting my "urgent" help, which is total bullshit because they use "urgent" in order to give me a guilt trip. But I have learnt that game now: they have cried wolf too many times, so they can go fuck themselves until Monday.

But today hasn't been a great day - full of minor irritations and lots of "oh for fuck's sake"s - everyone seems to be in a rush, no patience, everyone is preoccupied with some sort of bullshit that invariably irritates people around them - like me!

Am also having a bad period - I have the urge to kill, scream, and tell folk to go fuck themselves with a meat grinder; my car has a flat battery, one of my heels on my shoe broke, I lost my USB cable for my Apple phone; its too feckin' hot again; far too humid and sticky; no rain in something like 7 weeks; I think I walked in some dog shit; I need to go to the shops and stock up, but I really cant' be arsed; my credit card statement arrived and I can't believe how much I owe; there's a wasp flying around my head that's gonna find itself impaled on something sharp, long and pointy very soon; my hair keeps flopping around my face because of this desk fan and I don't have any grips to hand; I need to pee but I really can't be arsed to move; the battery on this laptop is about to die and the charging  cable is in the other room;  a couple of friends have text me wanting to know if I fancied going out tonight to an all-night rave; my landline phone has about 6 cold call messages on it which i haven't deleted yet; my neighbour has parked his car partly in my driveway, which means I can't get out; some fucker is having a BBQ and is stinking the place out with his cheap crap, and it's only 1:45pm; oh.... and here's another voice message on my phone wanting my help with an IT issue.... well they can go shove their issue up their pipe!

15% battery left; and I need to pee more now that its on my mind....

sorry

I'm having a shit day, and it's not even 2pm UK time yet.

I don't normally swear either. However, can I just leave this here...

FUCK!

Thank you :)

• Love 8

Zola,

I can't say I've ever had a day exactly like that but I've definitely had my share of bad days in my time- and the best things I can say about them is that if one can remember that one ALREADY got through bad days before that can give one strength to get through the bad day now AND that sometimes laughing to keep from crying can be a boon!

• Love 2
(edited)

This is OUT OF CONTROL! The number in parentheses before the word "spam" indicates the number of times the caller has called. Seven times in a row!!! My default ringtone is silent, so at least I don't hear my phone ringing constantly.

Yes, I'm on the Do Not Call registry. It does nothing anymore.

Yup. My entire "recents" list of 20 or so calls had one in it that was an actual real person that I know. And I'm on the Do Not Call list too--as is confirmed when I try like hell to somehow reregister in the hope that it will actually work!

little things that should be minor annoyances, like spilling a chocolate protein drink on a new shirt, and later opening the medicine cabinet and having a whole bunch of crap fall out, are really setting me off.

I swear to god that there are days where, if I drop or spill one time, I just know am in for an entire day of similar events!

I envisioned this sequence of events happening in black and white like in the "before" stage of an infomercial.

One night, I was dumping ice cubes out of the trays into the bucket. Well, the first tray's wouldn't come out at all. 50% of the second tray's ended up on the floor. When I picked those up, I knocked the entire first tray onto the floor, which was where those cubes finally decided to break free. My boyfriend said, "I feel like you should be in black and white right now."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Zola,

I can't say I've ever had a day exactly like that but I've definitely had my share of bad days in my time- and the best things I can say about them is that if one can remember that one ALREADY got through bad days before that can give one strength to get through the bad day now AND that sometimes laughing to keep from crying can be a boon!

Thanks

To be honest i really was out of order with that previous post of mine - so apologies for the expletives (am tempted to go back and re-edit the post and exorcise those particular words, but decided to leave them in just to remind me not to be a total asshat in future when I'm venting0

The funny thing is, after I finished posting that long trope, I dashed upstairs to my bathroom, tripped on the 4th step up, did a faceplant on the stairs; rubbed my nose, which had taken most of the impact with the stairs. Got to the bathroom, but couldn't unzip the fly on my jeans because it has jammed; couldn't even pull them down because they're skintight... and all the time I am bursting to pee! 

So in desperation I pulled the zip wide open, which not only broke the zip, but also tore the seam of my jeans just below the crotch area.... However..... THE RELIEF.... made up for all that! 

That said, I have a slightly bruised red nose; a pair of torn jeans, and traces of trodden dog shit on my carpet....

...but anyway. It's 3:30pm here and I'm not going to get all that get on top of me. Have switched off my phones and I'll be making myself a bacon & egg toasty while watching "Ash Vs Evil Dead" on the TV - I fancy some mindless  over-the-top violence and gore right now - can't imagine why! :)

Edited by Zola
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Zola said:

(am tempted to go back and re-edit the post

I'm glad you didn't; it was quite an entertaining read.  I'm sorry you had the day from hell, all in the span of about half a day, but I got a good laugh out of your telling of it.

5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I swear to god that there are days where, if I drop or spill one time, I just know am in for an entire day of similar events!

Yes!  Sometimes some little thing goes wrong in the morning and I think nothing of it, and then sometimes it happens and I tell the cat, "It's going to be a long day."

• Love 6
(edited)

I just wanted to check in to say I had a very peevish day. But now I am home on the couch with a cat on my lap and one near my feet and a drink and Barney Miller! Peeve alleviation!

Ugh, ETA: That was short-lived. Why, why, WHY would someone take a couple of ice cubes out of the tray and put the trays back instead of--oh, I don't know--dumping the ice into the bucket and filling the trays back up?! And what is with me and ice today?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

Bird scooters. I am a millennial but I like to walk. I do not like almost getting run over on the sidewalk on a daily basis because of all of these riders who feel they should be able to travel recklessly via the sidewalk on those things. 

• Love 3

Why, oh why, do people insist on using the verb "to be" as a universal fill in for other verbs???? It makes me stabby.

"So, I'm like.... and then she's like...." 

What you mean to say is "I said.... and then she did...."

It makes the Baby Jesus cry.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Why, why, WHY would someone take a couple of ice cubes out of the tray and put the trays back instead of--oh, I don't know--dumping the ice into the bucket and filling the trays back up?!

Ice cube trays are the worst!

I am not even exaggerating when I say that the two technological advances that mean the most to me personally are automatic ice cube makers and garage door openers. When I lived in rentals that didn't have ice cube makers, I'd schlep around bags of ice rather than deal with refilling trays. (I exclusively drink cold beverages so probably use more ice than most.)

Minor peeve: People looking at me like I'm crazy when I say I don't drink coffee. From my perspective, the entire coffee culture and expense is what's wacky. Caffeine addiction is real, y'all!

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm glad you didn't; it was quite an entertaining read.  I'm sorry you had the day from hell, all in the span of about half a day, but I got a good laugh out of your telling of it.

Thanks!

To be honest things did improve during the evening, and today thus far has also been quite positive. And am also pleased I made you laugh at my expense - I guess humour helps turn a dark day into a fairly bright one. And in the great scheme of things, my frustrations yesterday were just your typical first-world problems that we have to deal with.

Right now, it's 2pm and I am off down the local boozer for a couple of drinks, and then off to play a game of ten-pin bowling (which I am completely crap at, but its the taking part that counts. No doubt I will get laughed at again at my expense - but I'm easy going, so I don't mind)

Have a good day, peeps (and I promise I won't swear on here again!)

<well... perhaps not today at least lol>

• Love 6
2 hours ago, 2727 said:

Ice cube trays are the worst!

I am not even exaggerating when I say that the two technological advances that mean the most to me personally are automatic ice cube makers and garage door openers. When I lived in rentals that didn't have ice cube makers, I'd schlep around bags of ice rather than deal with refilling trays. (I exclusively drink cold beverages so probably use more ice than most.)

Minor peeve: People looking at me like I'm crazy when I say I don't drink coffee. From my perspective, the entire coffee culture and expense is what's wacky. Caffeine addiction is real, y'all!

If I may quote The Mosquito Coast (starring my celebrity BF of 41 years!), "Ice is civilization!" (But coffee even more so--I'm sorry!)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, 2727 said:

I've never even tasted coffee.  I don't like how it smells, so never saw any reason to taste it.

But I grew up when coffee was for adults.  Nobody I knew in college drank it.  Then all those kids at the Peach Pit started slugging down the stuff, and it became an all-ages beverage.

Coffee addicts.  The people who can't function until they've had their coffee.  If somebody went to work and said, "Don't talk to me until I have my belt of whisky," people would judge.

And yeah, the expense.  On the one hand, I have a little bit of stock in Starbucks so seeing the line at the drive-through always cheers me up, but egad, the amount of money people spend on coffee drinks almost scares me. 

• Love 4