Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

I was born in the early 80s, which makes me either an early Millennial (hate that term) or, as we prefer to call ourselves, Xennials (Gen X/Millennial hybrid). Its hard not to feel resentful toward the Baby Boomer generation.

I've been lately feeling the same way-- I was born then too (Jan. 3, 1981-- not the exact top of the year, but pretty close)!

27 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Sorry. :-(

I thought my generation was peace, love, and antiwar protests but apparently my 60s experiences growing up as a San Francisco hippy weren't actually the norm. Who knew.

This Politico article about how my retirement community is affecting elections was extremely annoying to read. I sympathize with being part of an impotent minority.

That part about how most of the jokers there see FOX and nothing but, and get their news from nothing but, really got to me. Tell you the truth, if that's all there is for news down there, I wouldn't want to be there, or even visit! 

After all, I am very much a live-and-let-live type: if those seniors want to see FOX in The Villages, let 'em! I won't even lay a foot near that place, though-- not even in retirement!

• Love 5
(edited)

Here's how NPR defines the generations in an October 2014 article. I've noted the ages adjusted for the current year.

American Generations Timeline

Though there is a consensus on the general time period for generations, there is not an agreement on the exact year that each generation begins and ends.

GI Generation

Born 1901-1924 (Age 90+) [94+ in 2018]

They were teenagers during the Great Depression and fought in World War II. Sometimes called the greatest generation (following a book by journalist Tom Brokaw) or the swing generation because of their jazz music.

Silent Generation

Born 1925-1942 (Age 72-89) [76-93]

They were too young to see action in World War II and too old to participate in the fun of the Summer of Love. This label describes their conformist tendencies and belief that following the rules was a sure ticket to success.

Baby Boomers

Born 1943-1964 (Age 50-71) [54-75]

The boomers were born during an economic and baby boom following World War II. These hippie kids protested against the Vietnam War and participated in the civil rights movement, all with rock 'n' roll music blaring in the background.

Generation X

Born 1965-1979 (Age 35-49) [39-53]

They were originally called the baby busters because fertility rates fell after the boomers. As teenagers, they experienced the AIDs [sic] epidemic and the fall of the Berlin Wall. Sometimes called the MTV Generation, the "X" in their name refers to this generation's desire not to be defined.

Millennials

Born 1980-2000 (Age 14-34) [18-38]

They experienced the rise of the Internet, Sept. 11 and the wars that followed. Sometimes called Generation Y. Because of their dependence on technology, they are said to be entitled and narcissistic.

Generation Z

Born 2001-2013 (Age 1-13) [5-17]

These kids were the first born with the Internet and are suspected to be the most individualistic and technology-dependent generation. Sometimes referred to as the iGeneration.

This pretty closely follows my own family timeline. As @AgentRXS mentioned, there are groups on the generational cusps. The cusp of Baby Boomers and Gen Xers are "Tweeners" or Generation Jones.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well I was born in 1993, which I guess makes me a hardcore Millennial. 

I do feel sympathy and annoyance with Boomers, Gen Xs, Zed's and even my own "entitled" generation. No generation is absolutely perfect, and you will always get older relatives banging on about "the good old days". But when you actually look back at those days via photos, books and TV documentaries and compare them with your own, you quickly realise that "your" era is far better in most all aspects.

My generation have been lucky to be blessed with technology, cheap cars, cheap domestic white goods & appliances, holidays, entertainment, easy access to food, medical care, education etc. (at least here in the UK). A lot of which were not fully accessible to previous generations. The only problems we have is affordable housing, well paid jobs, and access to higher education that doesn't cost a friggin' fortune!

Some of those problems can be laid at the door of the Boomers; but also political expediency, avaricious capitalism and exploitation etc. When I speak to my older relatives about this, they will always say "I have spent 40 odd years going to work, paying my income tax, paying my national insurance contributions, and paying into my state and private pensions; while also having to put with high inflation and interest rates back in the 70s and 80s than you could ever imagine! Therefore, I have paid my way and now I think I deserve my reward etc..."

I guess they have a point. Perhaps us Millennials expect everything should be presented to us on a plate with the least bit if effort. And that's the complaint aimed at us from the Boomers and the X Gens. 

I don't think there will ever be a happy medium between the generations; and I suspect us Millennials will soon be taking pot-shots at the Zed Gens when they reach adulthood and their "complaints" about how tough their lives are, and that its all the fault of the Xers and the Y's 

Edited by Zola
  • Love 9
(edited)

Just saying that my trade school (all I could afford) was during the early 80s recession. My county didn't participate in student loans (lower cost) and you couldn't get one if your county didn't participate. I had to get a regular loan every 3 months, whereupon they would roll over the previous loan (charging interest and adding the whole thing to the principal) and give me enough for the next 3 months. Two and a half years later, it was converted to an installment loan at 17.5% interest! You don't even want to know how long that took to pay off.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Zola said:

Some of those problems can be laid at the door of the Boomers; but also political expediency, avaricious capitalism and exploitation etc.

This is true...but the average age of the House is 57 and Senate 61...so those Boomers are still the ones affecting a lot of our political and social landscape so I don't think we can skirt away from taking a fair amount of responsibility for right now.

When I first started working in real estate for a mortgage broker in 1986, people with perfect credit were ECSTATIC to refi out of a double digit interest rate to a single digit (a high 9%.  My Mom was purchasing as many CDs as she could when the interest rates on those were in the double digits (about the same time).

• Love 5
(edited)

I remember CDs and savings accounts giving (that's not the right word...) 5% interest before the recession (early-mid-2000s). Rates have never returned to anywhere near that. My credit union savings account gives me 1.5% interest, which is fairly generous compared to a traditional bank.

So low(ish)-interest loans have become the norm, but so have low-interest savings/checking/money market/IRA accounts.

Edited by bilgistic
Sigh.
  • Love 6

A reminder of the site-wide rule on political discussion - in a nutshell, political discussion and by extension, discussion of personal politics are not appropriate or allowed.

The conversation has started to veer close to and even a bit over the line. Nothing has been removed and no warnings have been issued, but that could change going forward. Your assistance in keeping this a politics free discussion place is appreciated. Thank you!

• Love 2
(edited)

I consider myself an Xennial (1979er) as do many people born between, say, 1976 (or 1977) and 1983.  Also, some organizations start the millennial count at 1982 (as they turned 18 in 2000).  Others, like the Pew Research Center use 1981 as the starting point.

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 2
(edited)

My pet peeve is people who have to be loud, to show EVERYONE they're having a good time. One if the houses behind us is the site of a huge party today in the backyard. Ok, eat , drink, have fun. But what's with shouting "Woohoo!" And chanting people's names?  I swear it sounds like a huge frat party, and we're nowhere near a college.

It just stopped being humid and/or rainy today, I want to have the windows open tonight.  But these assholes are are so loud!  I really don't want to close all the windows and put on the A/C, but I might have to.

Oh, even better. Now that it's dark, there's going to be random fireworks all night! The first blast nearly knocked me out of my chair.  

I'm really NOT a crabby old baby boomer. But I do enjoy a little peace and quiet. Fireworks, really close to my house, make me jumpy. I think I'll have a drink or two to settle down.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

One of the best things you can do for your mood about it is to surround yourself with optimistic people, instead of pessimistic people. 

I disagree rather vehemently.  Optimistic people make my teeth itch.  Go sprinkle your rainbow unicorn fairy dust amongst yourselves, and leave us pessimists realists alone.  :-)

• Love 9
(edited)

It's 12 noon here in sunny England, and am in a pub beer garden with a couple of friends enjoying the day with a very nice Sunday Carvery (roast turkey and beef).

However, the peaceful atmosphere here is being spoilt somewhat by some England football (soccer) fans mingling inside the pub itself getting ready for a World Cup game at 1pm (UK time) between England and "no idea!"

So what this will mean is that when the match starts and these guys start watching it on the various overhead TVs running throughout the pub both inside and out here in the beer garden, ordinary drinkers are going to have to put up with them cheering and shouting and swearing for about 90 minutes. If England should win it will mean these guys will drink even more and become more rowdy and annoying; if England lose they will drink more and become angry and obnoxious. 

I know pubs love showing important sports events like this, but for customers who don't care about football or the World Cup, and just want a couple of social drinks with friends in the sunshine, it really is quite annoying, to the point where we will probably move on to some other pub that isn't showing the "big game"

UPDATE

40 minutes into the game and England are winning 5-0. And as expected we can hear fans inside the pub cheering, chanting, singing and clapping. It's not too bad because we're still outside in the beer garden, but I suspect as the game goes on and the beer starts to flow, they will become even more unbearable! 

Does this kind of thing happen in bars and pubs Stateside when there's big game going over there (Super Bowl, for eg)?

Edited by Zola
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Zola said:

Does this kind of thing happen in bars and pubs Stateside when there's big game going over there (Super Bowl, for eg)?

Yes. Sorry @Zola—-I have a couple of British football-loving friends and have had the displeasure of sharing a pint or 12 with them during a game. These seemingly refined and quiet Englishmen suddenly turn into belligerent hooligans, swearing and yelling and hugging and breaking things...they sure love their “footie.”

I’m not a sports fan either, so I’ve learned to just avoid any sportsbar during big American football/basketball games. Men yelling and making drunken noise are perhaps even more annoying than hen parties full of loud drunken women. At least baseball/golf games don’t seem to get drunk fans remotely as s******.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Zola said:

It's 12 noon here in sunny England, and am in a pub beer garden with a couple of friends enjoying the day with a very nice Sunday Carvery (roast turkey and beef).

However, the peaceful atmosphere here is being spoilt somewhat by some England football (soccer) fans mingling inside the pub itself getting ready for a World Cup game at 1pm (UK time) between England and "no idea!"

So what this will mean is that when the match starts and these guys start watching it on the various overhead TVs running throughout the pub both inside and out here in the beer garden, ordinary drinkers are going to have to put up with them cheering and shouting and swearing for about 90 minutes. If England should win it will mean these guys will drink even more and become more rowdy and annoying; if England lose they will drink more and become angry and obnoxious. 

I know pubs love showing important sports events like this, but for customers who don't care about football or the World Cup, and just want a couple of social drinks with friends in the sunshine, it really is quite annoying, to the point where we will probably move on to some other pub that isn't showing the "big game"

UPDATE

40 minutes into the game and England are winning 5-0. And as expected we can hear fans inside the pub cheering, chanting, singing and clapping. It's not too bad because we're still outside in the beer garden, but I suspect as the game goes on and the beer starts to flow, they will become even more unbearable! 

I'm in Canada - Toronto, actually, so you're going to get people cheering for all countries around the world - I'm not much of a pub person, but I know that they - and the streets, in fact - can get pretty crazy when Canada is playing in the medal round for hockey.  And Canadian cities have had riots during the NHL playoffs.  Question:  Would you actually be able FIND a pub NOT showing the World Cup?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I'm in Canada - Toronto, actually, so you're going to get people cheering for all countries around the world - I'm not much of a pub person, but I know that they - and the streets, in fact - can get pretty crazy when Canada is playing in the medal round for hockey.  And Canadian cities have had riots during the NHL playoffs.  Question:  Would you actually be able FIND a pub NOT showing the World Cup?

Lol...I can just go over to my brothers if I want to see a riot during the Stanley Cup! He is passionate. He has a big tv in his man cave and the rest of us steer clear and watch in a different room. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Zola said:

I am a huge football fan, so for the Super Bowl (and the playoffs, and college bowl games, and rivalry games, and ...) my ass is parked on the sofa so I can properly watch the game rather than being distracted by anyone else's hooting and hollering (or, worse, talking because they don't care about the game).  I like several other sports, but not on that level, so I may happen to be out when an important game is on, and, yes, it happens.  There are sports bars, specifically designed to be gathering places to watch games, and a lot of bars within "regular" restaurants also put sports on their televisions.  So if there is an important game on, especially one in which a local team is playing, you know that a sports bar will be crazy and a lot of "regular" bars will be noisier than usual. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I remember a time when pubs & neighborhood dives didn't have a fucking TeeVee screen.

It was juke boxes and pinball machines...  Oops almost forgot the obligatory pool table. 

• Love 3

My first & all time favorite dive bar had no windows, no tv, no pool table and no pinball machine.  It did have a jukebox, bad lighting and we always had the same waitress (who looked like Bob Dylan) who carded us every time we came in & would light her Bic to check the date.  This happened for 5+ years and we went there all the time.  

It was the anti-fern bar.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

I remember a time when pubs & neighborhood dives didn't have a fucking TeeVee screen.

I agree - I HATE that so many casual restaurants (the kind we can afford to go to)  have TVs all over the place.   SOME men (the ones in my family are  a prime example)  have the inability to ignore a tv set that has a sports event on it, when in a restaurant.  it drives me crazy. I get it when it's a "big game", I will tolerate it.  But some places around here, have TV sets, high on the walls, around the entire restaurant, each one broadcasting a different event.     Going out with my husband and sons one time, each one staring at a separate screen, each one in that weird hypnotic trance, watching teams they don't care about, even spots they would never in a million years watch at home.   I hate it. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

Around here, the dives generally still don't.  But that's about it; now you may even see a couple of TVs in the bar section of high-end restaurants.  It's rather ridiculous. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, backformore said:

I agree - I HATE that so many casual restaurants (the kind we can afford to go to)  have TVs all over the place.   SOME men (the ones in my family are  a prime example)  have the inability to ignore a tv set that has a sports event on it, when in a restaurant.  it drives me crazy. I get it when it's a "big game", I will tolerate it.  But some places around here, have TV sets, high on the walls, around the entire restaurant, each one broadcasting a different event.     Going out with my husband and sons one time, each one staring at a separate screen, each one in that weird hypnotic trance, watching teams they don't care about, even spots they would never in a million years watch at home.   I hate it. 

I live alone (for .. .reasons), and my pet peeve is having to hide/ignore the eleventy billion sports channels- with more being added every GODDAMN month - that come with my Uverse TV package.

If I ever claw my way out of debt, I'll treat myself to a good restaurant meal - at an establishment with NO TEEVEES.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, backformore said:

I agree - I HATE that so many casual restaurants (the kind we can afford to go to)  have TVs all over the place.  SOME men (the ones in my family are  a prime example)  have the inability to ignore a tv set that has a sports event on it, when in a restaurant.  it drives me crazy.

Bummer for you.  I actually like it when they have sports on, if it's in place of a news channel.  Unless I really really love a place and they have something I literally can't get anywhere else, if they have a news channel on that I don't like, I won't go back.  I always wondered why they would choose that instead of something more benign, like sports.  Perhaps the weather channel is the way to go.

I wonder if my TV-B-Gone still works.  It's a little fob-looking thing that you point it at a TV and press the button, and it scrolls through a bunch of ON/OFF buttons, and it eventually might get the one for the TV it's pointed at and POOF!  I assumed that it wouldn't work with newer TVs, but it's still being sold, so maybe.  I need to go find it because I can test it with my TV, and if it's in working order, I'll take it out into the wild.

The thing is, not once in all the times I used it did anybody do anything when the TV went off.  I doubt anybody even noticed, which makes it doubly annoying that it was on in the first place. 

I obviously wouldn't use it in a sports bar, and it's mainly because I don't like the noise.  Just the other day somebody told me he hates listening to TVs in restaurants, and he carries the little plug-things that are for speakers or head phones, only it's just the plug.  He said he sticks them in the headphone hole on the TV and it will mute the sound, and he just leaves them there when he leaves. 

• Love 3

I've lost my glasses twice in the last few days.  They went MIA earlier today and have not reappeared yet.  I only need them for distance since I had laser eye surgery 10 years ago.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Bummer for you.  I actually like it when they have sports on, if it's in place of a news channel.  Unless I really really love a place and they have something I literally can't get anywhere else, if they have a news channel on that I don't like, I won't go back.  I always wondered why they would choose that instead of something more benign, like sports.  Perhaps the weather channel is the way to go.

I wonder if my TV-B-Gone still works.  It's a little fob-looking thing that you point it at a TV and press the button, and it scrolls through a bunch of ON/OFF buttons, and it eventually might get the one for the TV it's pointed at and POOF!  I assumed that it wouldn't work with newer TVs, but it's still being sold, so maybe.  I need to go find it because I can test it with my TV, and if it's in working order, I'll take it out into the wild.

The thing is, not once in all the times I used it did anybody do anything when the TV went off.  I doubt anybody even noticed, which makes it doubly annoying that it was on in the first place. 

I obviously wouldn't use it in a sports bar, and it's mainly because I don't like the noise.  Just the other day somebody told me he hates listening to TVs in restaurants, and he carries the little plug-things that are for speakers or head phones, only it's just the plug.  He said he sticks them in the headphone hole on the TV and it will mute the sound, and he just leaves them there when he leaves. 

If there's a TeeVee playin', I won't be stayin'.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Yes. Sorry @Zola—-I have a couple of British football-loving friends and have had the displeasure of sharing a pint or 12 with them during a game. These seemingly refined and quiet Englishmen suddenly turn into belligerent hooligans, swearing and yelling and hugging and breaking things...they sure love their “footie.”

I’m not a sports fan either, so I’ve learned to just avoid any sportsbar during big American football/basketball games. Men yelling and making drunken noise are perhaps even more annoying than hen parties full of loud drunken women. At least baseball/golf games don’t seem to get drunk fans remotely as s******.

This^^

The pub we were in yesterday, is quite a nice pub by most standards, and attracts a very civil custom. But as soon as there's big soccer game playing some of these people (women too in some respects), go mad! Cheering, shouting, throwing abuse at the various TVs whilst other punters are trying to have a nice quiet drink. 

And yet this "phenomenon" only happens for soccer games! If there's a major rugby/cricket/tennis/F1 etc game going, there's not the same level of "enthusiastic" interest compared to a game of footie. Instead people will just casually glance up at the TV, watch for a minute or two and then return to their drinks - even if the England rugby team or cricket team should score/win, there's very little noise or loud appreciation. 

But when soccer is on - especially this World Cup - everyone seems to go a bit mental!

(England won 6-1 yesterday, and the pub was like a packed football ground!)

• Love 2
16 hours ago, backformore said:

A similar pet peeve for me (actually no longer an issue since the divorce) was my ex-husband's inability to not constantly look in a mirror if there was one close by.  We had a huge one near the front door of a house we rented once, and as we were saying goodnight to friends, he wouldn't even look at them as they left because he was so busy with the mirror.  I eventually replaced it with an over-priced piece of artwork from a charity auction just to put a stop to that part of his pathological narcissism.

• Love 9
(edited)

I wish there were a TV with a game on in one of my favorite craft breweries. I like their beer a lot and stop in by myself frequently. Sometimes there is somebody very social and/or friendly and I can get a conversation going. Sometimes, nobody. If there were a TV there, it would keep my nose out of my phone AND give me an opportunity make a comment about something on the screen to somebody else at the bar. 

It would serve as a common interest to strike up conversation. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 10

My pet peeve is getting my hair cut.   I had my hair cut for the first time in eight months yesterday because I hate getting my hair cut, the stylists never do what I ask.  I had a picture and my hair still came out an inch to an inch and a half shorter than I wanted it.  I know hair grows, blah, blah, blah, but by the time it gets to a decent length the style will be grown out and it will be sloppy looking again and I'll be forced to keep it back in a ponytail so it looks okay.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, partofme said:

My pet peeve is getting my hair cut.   I had my hair cut for the first time in eight months yesterday because I hate getting my hair cut, the stylists never do what I ask.  I had a picture and my hair still came out an inch to an inch and a half shorter than I wanted it.  I know hair grows, blah, blah, blah, but by the time it gets to a decent length the style will be grown out and it will be sloppy looking again and I'll be forced to keep it back in a ponytail so it looks okay.

It sounds like you need a new stylist. One who listens to what you want. 

• Love 5

@partofme - as painful as it is, you need to find a good stylist and stick with them.  It'll probably cost more, but it will be worth it.  I've only let 4 people cut my hair more than once and one of those was my Mom.  I've gone to a fair number of highly recommended stylists and was just not happy.  They weren't bad per se, just didn't seem to do a cut that held up to my hair particulars or for more than 4 - 6 weeks.

• Love 4
(edited)
55 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

@partofme - as painful as it is, you need to find a good stylist and stick with them.  It'll probably cost more, but it will be worth it.  I've only let 4 people cut my hair more than once and one of those was my Mom.  I've gone to a fair number of highly recommended stylists and was just not happy.  They weren't bad per se, just didn't seem to do a cut that held up to my hair particulars or for more than 4 - 6 weeks.

I agree with @DeLurker, and to add to her advice, if you've been with a stylist for a number of years and you feel like she is stuck in a rut as a far as your style, it also may be time to move on. Sadly I had to part with my stylist of over 20 years because I felt like she just cut it the same way she always did, even if I asked for something new. Sometimes a new perspective can give you a fresh new style you weren't even expecting! 

Edited by GoodieGirl
'cause "prospective" and "perspective" mean two different things.
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

I live in NYC so even the "cheap" hairstylists are expensive.   I also had to have my gray covered and got highlights so it cost me almost $300 for a cut that I hate.  It was a new stylist.  Though this beats the lady I went to last summer who told me she couldn't get my highlights blonde because I had used a rinse out hair color in between hair cuts and still charged me $400.

• Love 3

Gosh I really hate wearing bras this time of year!

I am only a pathetic 32b, but all the same it doesn't matter what kind of "snug fitting" bra I go for they all become extremely uncomfortable in this hot and humid weather. 

Because I'm a consultant I do spend a lot of my time working from home, which means I can wear t-shirts, blouses or camisoles with nothing underneath; or I might even walk around topless in my own home on really hot days! But when I have to dress-to-impress for new or existing clients, I can barely wear a bra for more than a couple of hours in this heat, and then I have an urge to rip the friggin' thing off regardless of where I am.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, Zola said:

I am only a pathetic 32b, but all the same it doesn't matter what kind of "snug fitting" bra I go for they all become extremely uncomfortable in this hot and humid weather. 

Prior to having children, that was me.  My bras had little to do so I wore pretty things called Sweet Nothings by Maidenform - minimal elastic and no padding.

When I became pregnant, my breasts showed it before my belly did.  All I could think of is "How do you live with these things?" and could not wait to return to my pre-pregnancy modest size.  Sadly, it was not to be.

• Love 4

Hallelujah—-finally heard back from the HR office this afternoon after their three week silent treatment, since sending me an Intent to Hire letter the first week of June: turns out I really DO have a nifty new job waiting for me, they’ve just been out of the office and will be finalizing my paperwork by the end of this week! I will be gainfully and happily employed once again!!

Thanks for the tips/support here, folks.

And I hope I *never* have to search for another job in a long, long damned time. I hadn’t had to look for a new job in over 7 years, and I’d forgotten how much it truly sucks. There’s the old polishing off your resume routine, having to gather good references, searching and applying to jobs online for endless hours, maybe getting 4-5 reliable responses to the 24-25 applications you send out...then getting yourself dressed up and mentally prepped for interviews, then following up after interviews, then sitting around waiting and wondering what’s up afterwards while you somehow try to forget about how much you need that job...no thanks!!

On the downside here, I accepted another position a few days prior to getting the hire notice from this job I just accepted((I honestly thought I didn’t have a chance and interviewed on a fluke; I felt privileged just to get the interview, quite honestly))...so now I have to let this other place down after I’d originally accepted, and I hate that because they were so damned nice and accommodating and hired me instantly.

Sucks to let down such good folks and hopefully they won’t be too butthurt—-but I have to follow my heart and go with what’s better for my career in the long run.

• Love 11

@Sun-Bun - yeah!  Tell the other company that you had to accept the position with the most upside for yourself, but you sincerely thank them for their consideration, think they are great, ... they'll be disappointed but can't argue with the truth.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Zola said:

Gosh I really hate wearing bras this time of year!

Because I'm a consultant I do spend a lot of my time working from home, which means I can wear t-shirts, blouses or camisoles with nothing underneath; or I might even walk around topless in my own home on really hot days! But when I have to dress-to-impress for new or existing clients, I can barely wear a bra for more than a couple of hours in this heat, and then I have an urge to rip the friggin' thing off regardless of where I am.

I am "chesty" and I always have boob sweat. I guess it's technically under- and between-the-boobs sweat. I'll get out of the coldest shower I can stand and minutes later...boob sweat. I wear oversized cotton t-shirts at home so the air can circulate.

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I am "chesty" and I always have boob sweat. I guess it's technically under- and between-the-boobs sweat. I'll get out of the coldest shower I can stand and minutes later...boob sweat. I wear oversized cotton t-shirts at home so the air can circulate.

Corn starch baby powder works.

I hate TV shows that keep telling me that they're "live" when they patently aren't.  Watching the ball drop in Times Square is the worst.  Guess what, if it's midnight on the West Coast where I'm watching, it's 3am in New York.

• Love 3

Congratulations, @Sun-Bun and best wishes!

I'm mad at super glue. No matter what kind of lock, pin, or seal is on the container, the stuff always seizes up and nothing comes out the next time I try to use it. Sometimes I can cut down the plastic dropper but then that seals shut, too.

Admittedly I only need to glue something a few times a year, but a $3 tube is basically a single use purchase.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Congratulations, @Sun-Bun and best wishes!

I'm mad at super glue. No matter what kind of lock, pin, or seal is on the container, the stuff always seizes up and nothing comes out the next time I try to use it. Sometimes I can cut down the plastic dropper but then that seals shut, too.

Admittedly I only need to glue something a few times a year, but a $3 tube is basically a single use purchase.

I get super glue for $1 at Dollar Tree. Around here, it comes in a sealed little baggie containing three tiny resealable tubes of glue. I went to use it for something the other day, and apparently I had used the last tube in the bag at least once. It was rock solid. But the three tubes mean I'm spending only 36¢ a use, including tax.

• Love 6