Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

• Start Topic

OK, I don't know if this will be controversial or not, but I am so sick of seeing my FB friends re-sharing the suicide hotline phone number every time a celebrity commits suicide. I seriously wonder if that hotline has actually helped anyone,ever. I ask this because I've called it a couple times in my life, and each time I was treated like a 5 year old that didn't understand that life isn't fair.  Other stories I've read about them have been more negative than positive as well. I know people just blindly re-post things to feel better about themselves, but I would do some research before encouraging people to use a resource. That's just me, though.

• Love 11

What *might* actually make a difference is legislators funding and creating a robust mental healthcare treatment program in the U.S. After every tragedy (school shooting, suicide, domestic violence, murder), people say "it was a mental health problem", but what are we as a country doing about it? Not a goddamned thing. When we don't work to help and protect our citizens (NOT with just military funding), we have failed as a country and society.

I speak from 25 years of experience. Mental healthcare in this country is absolutely abysmal.

• Love 18
19 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

What *might* actually make a difference is legislators funding and creating a robust mental healthcare treatment program in the U.S. After every tragedy (school shooting, suicide, domestic violence, murder), people say "it was a mental health problem", but what are we as a country doing about it? Not a goddamned thing. When we don't work to help and protect our citizens (NOT with just military funding), we have failed as a country and society.

I speak from 25 years of experience. Mental healthcare in this country is absolutely abysmal.

Healthcare in general is abysmal in this country.

• Love 15
(edited)
14 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

OK, I don't know if this will be controversial or not, but I am so sick of seeing my FB friends re-sharing the suicide hotline phone number every time a celebrity commits suicide. I seriously wonder if that hotline has actually helped anyone,ever. I ask this because I've called it a couple times in my life, and each time I was treated like a 5 year old that didn't understand that life isn't fair.  Other stories I've read about them have been more negative than positive as well. I know people just blindly re-post things to feel better about themselves, but I would do some research before encouraging people to use a resource. That's just me, though.

I totally get what you’re saying here—and god knows (as do you guys) that I lose my patience with rampant Facebook trends on a weekly basis—but I think more often than not, most people just want to do something without knowing exactly what it is, especially if they are sympathetic and empathic but don’t have much experience in this arena. Yes, a little digging and Googling is a good thing, but maybe that’s not as obvious as it should be to many—not out of disingenuousness but out of "accidental obliviousness."

Also, I’m sorry your experiences were that way. It’s one more symptom of how much we’re doing wrong (which is not to say that’s the fault of those who work for these hotlines) here in the US regarding healthcare and mental health resources. 

Also, I have to admit that this Anthony Bourdain business really threw me for a loop today, as did Chris Cornell last year. Not that anyone else's story is less sad or important, but those two really punched me in the belly, man.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 11

So I bought a new vacuum yesterday after doing a shit ton of research on various brands.  I ended up with the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Pro from Bed, Bath & Beyond because I could use the 20% off coupon.

There are way too many lines of vacuums from the different manufacturers - Shark has 6 lines.  Each of those lines has different models - Shark has 31 different models. They are probably the worst, but they certainly aren't the only offenders.

I read a lot of the Amazon reviews and Q & As in this process.  Clearly, people don't understand how online shopping works or Q & As work.

Example:

Q.  Does the vacuum come with any attachments? It doesn't look like if from the picture here.

A.  Currently I have not used any accessories. I just use it as a floor vacuum, so I had to go looking for the accessories that came with it. I may not have found every single one that came with it, but I think I did

A.  does it require filters, bags, etc.....?

Not all the attachments are pictured - you have to read the product description!

Answers that are basically "I don't know" or are additional questions themselves, are a waste of everyone's time. 

In other news, while my Bissell did a great job on pet hair, the new vac sucked up a ton of dirt that was in the carpet.  I vacuum about every day (see big fluffy dog) and had no idea that there would be that much it was missing.  Yuck.

• Love 8

Judging by the many "I don't know" answers on Amazon, sometimes I think people have nothing else to keep them busy so they reply for fun. Or, they are under the impression that they have to answer!

• Love 4

@DeLurker, that’s the model I have as well. I think it does a really good job with pet hair, whether it’s in the carpet or on the furniture. I have a love/hate relationship with the light on the front, though; I love that I can see what’s on the floor and hate how dusty/furry it is, even with regular vacuuming,

• Love 3

What happens with Amazon questions is this--you get an email that basically says "another customer has a question about this product you bought. Can you answer?" it is not clear that when you respond, your answer i is going to show up on the Amazon page instead of just going to the person who asked the question. So I give first time "I don't know"ers a pass.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I totally get what you’re saying here—and god knows (as do you guys) that I lose my patience with rampant Facebook trends on a weekly basis—but I think more often than not, most people just want to do something without knowing exactly what it is, especially if they are sympathetic and empathic but don’t have much experience in this arena. Yes, a little digging and Googling is a good thing, but maybe that’s not as obvious as it should be to many—not out of disingenuousness but out of "accidental obliviousness."

How about they could just shut the fuck up?  Why does every.single.thing.that.ever.happens require some sort of comment that is broadcast to the world by every person with a social media account?  Kate Spade killed herself.  Okay.  If you feel a terrible personal loss because of it, then send her family a condolence note.  If you think people you "know" on Facebook will now be more likely to commit suicide and you have an obligation to stop them, then you should either re-think that, or get a new set of "friends."  Or at the very least know what you're talking about.  Or maybe just not say anything at all.

I guess I agree with @AgentRXS that they do it to feel better about themselves, but this storm of commenting and sharing and whatever every time something happens isn't without costs to everybody else.

3 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I read a lot of the Amazon reviews and Q & As in this process.  Clearly, people don't understand how online shopping works or Q & As work.

Example:

Q.  Does the vacuum come with any attachments? It doesn't look like if from the picture here.

A.  Currently I have not used any accessories. I just use it as a floor vacuum, so I had to go looking for the accessories that came with it. I may not have found every single one that came with it, but I think I did

A.  does it require filters, bags, etc.....?

Not all the attachments are pictured - you have to read the product description!

Answers that are basically "I don't know" or are additional questions themselves, are a waste of everyone's time.

Your pain is shared on the internet pet peeves thread:

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/25959-internet-pet-peeves/?do=findComment&comment=2842038

• Love 1
(edited)

Jesus Christ, I don't know what I said in my post to warrant such a reply, but everyone is different. People are not obligated to "shut the fuck up" because other people aren't interested, just as you are not obligated to say anything if you don't feel like it. Yes, I use social media, and yes I made a post about Bourdain. No, I don't share every little thing, and no I did not post a hotline number. And no, I don't post anything with the goal of making myself only seem concerned (or whatever else sinister motive people have for daring to communicate in this manner). I post what I like to communicate with my friends (with no quotation marks around the word). Also what I don't do is assume that everyone who makes a post like this has no actual life experience with this kind of tragedy. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Jesus Christ, I don't know what I said in my post to warrant such a reply,

I was using "you" in place of "one" or "a person" or "people who use social media"--I started my post with "they" but maybe that wasn't clear enough to indicate that I wasn't referring to "you" in particular.  I had no idea what you've posted to your social media accounts. 

You were defending what people do as wanting to do something but not knowing what it is and acting out of "accidental obliviousness," and I was saying that when that's the case, maybe it's better to do nothing at all. 

I apologize if I was harsh (and I may not have been all that clear either; I was using myself as an example). I get what you're saying and I also realize that the road to hell is often paved with good intentions and all that. But I also get what the FB people are doing. For all I know, they have been helped, directly or indirectly, by some kind of hotline. And as for not committing "accidental obliviousness," that's just it--they don't know they're oblivious. 

I have a few friends with mental health problems, and I have a few others who work in psychiatric care. And, unfortunately, I have a few who have lost someone to suicide. Not all of those people posted hotline info (that I saw at least) but many did. So that's where I was going when I said I don't assume that there's some kind of fake concern or "look at me" stuff going on, or that people should all shut up.

Again, sorry if that previous post was too snippy.

Looking for summery tunic tops on Amazon - the size charts were REALLY pissing me off.  For the shirt I was looking for: 

Size                                 USA

S                                     0-2

M                                      4

L                                        6

XL                                      8

Really?  How does a size 8 becomes an XL, when the average American woman is a 14? 

• Love 6

Chinese sizes? I did order one from a Chinese company because it was cheap, but I had to calculate I would need a 4x to equal a 14. And they don't have many of those sizes, which really limited my choice.

• Love 1
(edited)

I get that they want their products to look good, but why can't Spanx use models on its website that look like they actually need the product? Instead, the models look like the product is doing nothing because the models already have flat stomachs. I want to see what it will actually do on someone whose body looks like mine without all the lycra, etc., holding it in. Maybe they could show a before and after photo.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 7
On 6/9/2018 at 9:48 AM, DeLurker said:

I bought a new vacuum yesterday after doing a shit ton of research on various brands.  I ended up with the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Pro from Bed, Bath & Beyond because I could use the 20% off coupon.

I was in need of a new vacuum, so I stole your research and 20% coupon idea and bought the same one today. It did a great job, and I like the way it breaks down when I’m using the attachments. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, auntlada said:

I get that they want their products to look good, but why can't Spanx use models on its website that look like they actually need the product? Instead, the models look like the product is doing nothing because the models already have flat stomachs. I want to see what it will actually do on someone whose body looks like mine without all the lycra, etc., holding it in. Maybe they could show a before and after photo.

Sing it, sister! I have owned exactly one "shaping" garment in my life, and it made me look like an actual stuffed sausage. There was no shaping other than round and encased.

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

This always makes me wonder just how small a an XS would be from one of these places?  Housecat sized, perhaps?

Not any of MY housecats!  They were all Big Boys.  ;-)

• Love 7

Re posting Suicide Hotline numbers after celebs' deaths:

Do I think every single theory postulated re MO's of depression and suicide is 100 percent accurate ? No.

Do I think that there's a one-size-fits-all course of  treatment for these two conditions? No.

Do I think that every single person manning the hotline numbers will be able to diagnose and instantly treat whatever lifetime angst every single caller pours out? No.

HOWEVER; ALL the above said, I think it's vital to let as many folks know that the option to talk to others when one is in a desperate state DOES exist and for those who believe they have no one in their lives to talk to, this could at least give them hope where before they had  none.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Re posting Suicide Hotline numbers after celebs' deaths:

Do I think every single theory postulated re MO's of depression and suicide is 100 percent accurate ? No.

Do I think that there's a one-size-fits-all course of  treatment for these two conditions? No.

Do I think that every single person manning the hotline numbers will be able to diagnose and instantly treat whatever lifetime angst every single caller pours out? No.

HOWEVER; ALL the above said, I think it's vital to let as many folks know that the option to talk to others when one is in a desperate state DOES exist and for those who believe they have no one in their lives to talk to, this could at least give them hope where before they had  none.

Having "someone to talk to" doesn't mean a goddarned thing to someone who is suicidal.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Having "someone to talk to" doesn't mean a goddarned thing to someone who is suicidal.

It does to some.  Not all suicidal people are feeling the exact same thing.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

It does to some.  Not all suicidal people are feeling the exact same thing.

True.  But most of us/them would rather be dead than talking to some solicitous stranger. Especially if his name is Ted Bundy.  ;-)

• Love 6

I cleaned the kids bathroom earlier today, even did a bang up job on the floor so I could put the new bath rug down.  I was so pleased with my productivity!

so this afternoon the nice clean bathroom is invaded by the ants of summer. This year they are HUGE!

I feel cheated.

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I cleaned the kids bathroom earlier today, even did a bang up job on the floor so I could put the new bath rug down.  I was so pleased with my productivity!

so this afternoon the nice clean bathroom is invaded by the ants of summer. This year they are HUGE!

I feel cheated.

How did they get in?!

They always seem to find a way. Then we have to let them gorge on poison and take it back out, so we clear out a spot, try to keep them from overflowing that spot and wait for them to gorge and leave for a day or two. Then everything gets cleaned and sterilized. And we're good for the summer.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

some solicitous stranger. Especially if his name is Ted Bundy.  ;-)

I almost posted the Bundy thing myself.;)  According to Ann Rule he was a pretty good crisis counselor.  Which is creepy.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I almost posted the Bundy thing myself.;)  According to Ann Rule he was a pretty good crisis counselor.  Which is creepy.

I KNEW we were kindred spirits!!! 

He lovingly applied  lipstick to his corpses - and fucking fucked them no matter what he said later. 

Ann Rule is a bit of an idiot/savant - not so smart, somewhat lucky.

• Love 5
(edited)

If anyone's listening to the current season of Truth & Justice with Bob Ruff, my peeve is the lady who was the guest for the last two episodes. What a moron--a deliberately obtuse moron!

Edited by TattleTeeny
On 6/10/2018 at 10:04 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

This always makes me wonder just how small a an XS would be from one of these places?  Housecat sized, perhaps?

They're probably on the shorter side, so they won't "look" that small.  At one point in my life, I was "sized out" of some mainstream brands - that was before they introduced XXS.  Most North American brands are VERY GUILTY of vanity sizing.   And please don't ask me about shoes...I can barely find anything my size. 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, PRgal said:

They're probably on the shorter side, so they won't "look" that small.  At one point in my life, I was "sized out" of some mainstream brands - that was before they introduced XXS.  Most North American brands are VERY GUILTY of vanity sizing.   And please don't ask me about shoes...I can barely find anything my size. 

We must be around the same size. Other than my having a bust, children’s sizes fit me pretty well but I outgrew Bambi (now I guess I should say Frozen or Elsa) many decades ago lol. 

• Love 3

On my peeve list:  Birthday parties where they wait around forever and won't open the gifts and won't cut the cake. WTH?  I don't get it.  It seems that it happens all the time now.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Things that irritated the piss out of me today:

1) My TV channels have been randomly blacking out for a few months. I have a TiVo Bolt with a cable card and tuning adapter connected in order to get the channels to which I subscribe. When the channels would black out, I'd reboot everything and all would work for a while, then back to not working.

I went to midtown last week (about four miles out of the way, but with hella traffic) and waited for a good half an hour just to switch out the tuning adapter, thinking it was dying. I got home and set up the "new" (read: used and still containing the last customer's dust) box and still had problems with the channels.

I called to set up a service appointment. The rep said the problem might be the cable card, so she would note that the tech needed to bring a new card (and tuning adapter just for shits and giggles). Great; appointment set.

The tech comes and assesses the situation and decides the problem is the wall outlet, which he rewires. We reboot everything, and it all works because of course it does right after it's rebooted. He insists the problem is not the cable card. Fast-forward to a few hours later and the channels are dropping out again. Shocking.

I drove to midtown again today to switch out the cable card. I've done some online sleuthing, and there's just some issues with the cards and tuners not playing well with TiVos. Switching cards can help.

I walked into Spectrum and the rep just inside asked me why I was there. I told her I needed a cable card. She told me they don't have any cards and I'll have to call the 800 number to have one mailed to me.

*BEATS HEAD AGAINST WALL*

They charge $2.50 a month for a cable card, so, no, I won't be having one sent to me. They'll add a second $2.50 charge to my bill and it will remain there even after I return the old card, despite my having proof via tracking number and blood sigil. I've played this game before--I'm looking at you, AT&T U-Verse.

I'll set up another tech appointment. I'm thisclose to terminating my service. I won't save any money going elsewhere and I'll have to piecemeal my TV/movie entertainment via streaming and over-the-air channels, but I don't care.

2) I was on my way home and was waiting to turn left onto a busy four-lane secondary road. It was during rush hour. I had three cars behind me. I couldn't get a break in the traffic in both directions for several minutes. One of the drivers in the line behind me (not the one immediately behind me) beeped their fucking horn and I saw red. Nothing makes me madder than someone beeping their fucking horn when the driver in front cannot go for whatever reason.

Last week, I was making a left across a six-lane secondary road. There was a pedestrian crossing from the same direction. I stopped mid-intersection to let him finish crossing. Some jackass behind me beeped their horn.

I swear, one day, I am going to lose my shit and get out of my car and have words with the fucking horn honkers. In the meantime, I thought of a bumper sticker I could print and sell: HONK IF YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 8
15 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

In the meantime, I thought of a bumper sticker I could print and sell: HONK IF YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE.

I've seen one reading, "Honk if you're an impatient asshole."

• Love 4
(edited)

I have a pet peeve. I was watching a crime show, maybe Dateline. The female DA was very professional in a stylish blue business suit and white button down. Then they cut to her walking up some steps, and she was wearing utterly inappropriate spiked party-girl Louboutins. Business up top, party down below Miss DA? Is that really the image you want to project in your professional life and on national TV?? I’d feel the same if a male professional was dressed in appropriate business attire only to be wearing his pants hanging off his butt gansta-style or shuffling around the courthouse in flip-flops. These people need to stay off my lawn!

Edited to say I am pet peeved with myself. I’m a borderline hoarder. My goal this summer is to clear out using the Konmari method. But until then I’d love to work on my big needlework project with Disappeared and Snapped playing in the background, but I’ve no idea where I stored in during my last major cleanup! 

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 5

In what way were her shoes inappropriate?   High heels?  Nope, I'm a lawyer who wears high heels all the time and so do my colleagues.  Louboutins? Nope, I would wear them if I could afford them.   Were they covered in glitter? 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Quof said:

In what way were her shoes inappropriate?   High heels?  Nope, I'm a lawyer who wears high heels all the time and so do my colleagues.  Louboutins? Nope, I would wear them if I could afford them.   Were they covered in glitter? 

Didn't see it, but my guesses:  bows tied around her ankles? Spikes sticking out of the heels?  Glitter?  Heels higher than three inches?  

1 hour ago, Quof said:

Since I’m pretty sure you’re completely aware of the degrees of professional attire I have nothing to say in the interest of not being drawn in. I prefer professionals to look professional, men and women. That’s my pet peeve. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, bubbls said:

I’d feel the same if a male professional was dressed in appropriate business attire only to be wearing his pants hanging off his butt gansta-style or shuffling around the courthouse in flip-flops.

Louboutin heels are analogous to butt-baring pants and flip-flops?  I  agree a specific pair of heels could look unprofessional, but not on the level of those two things.

• Love 2