Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

Recommended Posts

Some people make me regret leaving my home.....So I pull into a crowded U-shaped gas station and there is a black SUV following me. I drive around the U and pull in front of an available gas pump. The black SUV is now a few yards in front of me, stationary, and at a perpendicular angle. A woman in her Sunday best gets out and tells me she was backing into that very pump. There was no way for me to know this as I drove into the space, plus I'm already in the space. Also, she had been right behind me when I had driven into the station, so it wasn't like she had been waiting a long time for it. Naturally I'm a little surprised at her request. I hesitate a moment and she immediately says "I'm a pastor." I'm thinking "What does that have to do with anything?" (I hate it when people try to pull rank, especially when it's of the holier-than-thou nature.) So now she has irked me, but I politely tell her it will just take me 5 minutes. (I have a small car and I'm using a credit card so it actually took me less time.)

She then loudly makes this pronouncement: "I'm a pastor and you're going to Hell." Whaaa? I asked the obvious question: "I'm going to Hell because you can't wait 5 minutes?" So she drove away to another pump probably feeling very Godly and smug. In fact, I suspect she's probably always on the look-out for opportunities in which she can feel Godly and smug..... All I can say is that I pity the people who are in her congregation. That woman was nothing more than a narcissist hiding behind the cloak of religiosity. Nevertheless, her creepiness did have an effect on me. I had planned to do some food shopping but instead I fled to the tranquility of my home. Sometimes those random encounters with creepy people really shake me up.

  • Like 24

Share this post


Link to post

Yikes, what a crazy person! I hate it when people use "religion" (and I'm putting that in quotes because I believe people of real faith don't do this) as a weapon to intimidate or try to humiliate others.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

A friend staying here for the weekend went fishing last night. He got bit on his forearm. I swear the wheal was as big as a silver dollar. He even noted it itched on that whole side of its body. He said mosquito but he didn’t really get a good look as it was dusk. With yellow fever, Zika and Leishmaniasis (we do get sand flies, gnats etc too...it’s on the Intracoastal) I got scared for him as 6 hrs later that raised bump was still there. Pesky or worse. 

If the bite felt almost like a bee or wasp sting, it might have been a horse fly.  Those bite and they hurt like heck when they do.  I think the bite spot can get red, itch and swell up for a time. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mannahatta said:

Some people make me regret leaving my home.....So I pull into a crowded U-shaped gas station and there is a black SUV following me. I drive around the U and pull in front of an available gas pump. The black SUV is now a few yards in front of me, stationary, and at a perpendicular angle. A woman in her Sunday best gets out and tells me she was backing into that very pump. There was no way for me to know this as I drove into the space, plus I'm already in the space. Also, she had been right behind me when I had driven into the station, so it wasn't like she had been waiting a long time for it. Naturally I'm a little surprised at her request. I hesitate a moment and she immediately says "I'm a pastor." I'm thinking "What does that have to do with anything?" (I hate it when people try to pull rank, especially when it's of the holier-than-thou nature.) So now she has irked me, but I politely tell her it will just take me 5 minutes. (I have a small car and I'm using a credit card so it actually took me less time.)

She then loudly makes this pronouncement: "I'm a pastor and you're going to Hell." Whaaa? I asked the obvious question: "I'm going to Hell because you can't wait 5 minutes?" So she drove away to another pump probably feeling very Godly and smug. In fact, I suspect she's probably always on the look-out for opportunities in which she can feel Godly and smug..... All I can say is that I pity the people who are in her congregation. That woman was nothing more than a narcissist hiding behind the cloak of religiosity. Nevertheless, her creepiness did have an effect on me. I had planned to do some food shopping but instead I fled to the tranquility of my home. Sometimes those random encounters with creepy people really shake me up.

Did it happen this morning?  Maybe she was late?  She shouldn't have behaved that way, but she may have been in a hurry to get to her service.  

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Did it happen this morning?  Maybe she was late?  She shouldn't have behaved that way, but she may have been in a hurry to get to her service.  

All the more reason why being so intolerant and judgemental was in bad form. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

My neighbor, who has the sweetest Southern accent, walks her little dog several times a day.  Our area has no sidewalks so we have to walk in the street and motorists are usually very cautious when going through the residential neighborhoods.

Today a not so cautious motorist came by - way too fast for a residential neighborhood and way way too fast for a residential neighborhood with no sidewalks.

That earned him a "Slow it down Asshole!" from Marilyn, all said in her sweet voice.  Incongruous.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Did it happen this morning?  Maybe she was late?  She shouldn't have behaved that way, but she may have been in a hurry to get to her service.  

But she didn't say, "I'm late to work" (which wouldn't have been an excuse, either), she pulled the pastor card.

A related peeve is when someone is a pastor/reverend/nun/whatever and nothing else is known about them (e.g. a witness identified by her or his profession), yet it is supposed to be assumed they are credible, honest, good, etc. just based on that profession.  Um, no.  They may be.  They may be an asshole.  I'll wait and see, thanks.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But she didn't say, "I'm late to work" (which wouldn't have been an excuse, either), she pulled the pastor card.

A related peeve is when someone is a pastor/reverend/nun/whatever and nothing else is known about them (e.g. a witness identified by her or his profession), yet it is supposed to be assumed they are credible, honest, good, etc. just based on that profession.  Um, no.  They may be.  They may be an asshole.  I'll wait and see, thanks.

I guess they're still folks out there who haven't looked at the news in the last 30 years.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Did it happen this morning?  Maybe she was late?  She shouldn't have behaved that way, but she may have been in a hurry to get to her service.  

Actually it occurred in the afternoon. And her facial expression didn't convey a need for haste as much as a look of self-righteous triumph. Generally I try to see other people's points of view. But in her case she seemed to believe that her station in life gave her special powers - like damning me to Hell.  LOL

But thanks to everyone's feedback here I feel so much better! I guess I'll venture out later. Give that food shopping thing another try. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But she didn't say, "I'm late to work" (which wouldn't have been an excuse, either), she pulled the pastor card.

A related peeve is when someone is a pastor/reverend/nun/whatever and nothing else is known about them (e.g. a witness identified by her or his profession), yet it is supposed to be assumed they are credible, honest, good, etc. just based on that profession.  Um, no.  They may be.  They may be an asshole.  I'll wait and see, thanks.

I went to divinity school and can confirm that some religious leaders are indeed assholes. And narcissists. And some are genuinely lovely.

(I did not study to be a minister. I may or may not be an asshole, but last week someone referred to me as delightful, so I’m going with that.)

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Try Amazon, look for the Vibrant brand.

Maybe I shall--thanks! Like I need another pair of jeans, haha!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

For many people they’ve found bug relief from an ancient concoction called “Vinegar of the four thieves “.    Some sites sell the herb mixture and all you have to do is add the vinegar.

 

Lucky for me, I live in an area in which mosquitos are rare.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought that pastors are supposed to have a servant's heart. God grants them this so that they may be in service to others in his ministry.   Maybe, the lady with the snippy and impatient attitude hasn't gotten that gift yet. lol

One of my top 10 peeves has to be PEOPLE WHO ARE THE LEAST EQUIPPED TO OWN A PET, HAVING ONE OR MORE THAN ONE! I must have posted about it before.  I'm reminded of it again, because there is another neighborhood puppy who will not stop yelping.  The owner knows, as they are outside with the dog.  If a dog yelps for over 3 hours, wouldn't you adjust his situation or get him to a vet?  I can't figure these people out.  They have no little to no time to devote to the care, training and maintenance of a dog, but, they like to get them and keep them in a fenced area.  They spend no time with them, except for providing food and water.    Why do they want these pets? I just don't get it. A dog wants to be part of the family, not doomed to a life of seclusion.  

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Dear Amazon, please stop asking me to "Pick a Charity" whenever I log into my account! Since I click on the "no thanks" button every single time you'd think they would figure out that I'm all set, just have it under "options" for when I change my mind! Also, I don't need to update my income every other month! Jeez Louise, it's not like I get a quarterly raise! Just let me get to my account! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

my pet peeve is being interrupted.   Especially by people who ASK me a question.   If you ask me a question, listen to my answer.  Don't cut me off after 5 words to tell me I'm wrong.  I can't be wrong yet, I haven't come to the end of the sentence.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I'm all for charities, but, it seems that I can't go anywhere that I'm not asked to give.  It's designed to shame people who say no, imo.  I do what I can, but, don't like feeling that I'm being pressured with every purchase at the grocery store, the drug store, etc. The local fire departments, (who I adore and respect) have started having fireman stand in intersections and hold up a boot to collect donations.  I feel bad if I don't cash on me, but, I also wonder about the safety aspects of doing that. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Yes! I had a guy call for one of the first responders fund, I can't remember if it was police or firefighters. I politely declined to donate and the guy pressed, so then I explained that I am self employed and could not give. He then said, oh, come on, you can give $25. I hung up.

Police and firefighters DO NOT solicit donations on the phone. It's a scam.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Police and firefighters DO NOT solicit donations on the phone. It's a scam.

I don't know about that.  The firefighters call me every year and they sell concert tickets.  I actually get the tickets (although I admit I don't go), so I doubt it's a scam.  That surely couldn't go on year after year.  Some people must actually go to the concert after all.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't know about that.  The firefighters call me every year and they sell concert tickets.  I actually get the tickets (although I admit I don't go), so I doubt it's a scam.  That surely couldn't go on year after year.  Some people must actually go to the concert after all.

That's different. It's when they call wanting donations to some made up "Law Enforcement Guild" or something. Concert tickets are something that are a verifiable, tangible but imaginary police funds are a scam.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm all for charities, but, it seems that I can't go anywhere that I'm not asked to give.  It's designed to shame people who say no, imo.  I do what I can, but, don't like feeling that I'm being pressured with every purchase at the grocery store, the drug store, etc. The local fire departments, (who I adore and respect) have started having fireman stand in intersections and hold up a boot to collect donations.  I feel bad if I don't cash on me, but, I also wonder about the safety aspects of doing that. 

At my local Ace Hardware the debit/credit card machine asks if you want to round up to the nearest dollar by donating to a specific charity.  That works for me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

If I see one more meme (posted by people who don’t know how television works) about how The View should be canceled for whatever stupid reason, I am going to lose it. I have never seen an episode of The View (though I once watched a clip because Christopher Meloni was on it!) and advise these dumb meme posters to follow in my footsteps if they don’t like the show. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

20 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

If I see one more meme (posted by people who don’t know how television works) about how The View should be canceled for whatever stupid reason, I am going to lose it.

I guess they didn't pay extra to get a tv with the Power button.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

Or those super-fancy channel-changing mechanisms!

I'm guessing that these people don't watch the show anyway (and again, neither do I) but are merely responding to allegations that those on the show may or may not have said something unflattering toward some person or another that these meme-posters blindly support. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I got my official call from the "IRS" today about how I am "maliciously not compliance with my tax filings and a police officer will be at my location within 24 hours to seize my custody". I'm terrified y'all, the computerized voice sounded so totally legit.

  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, emma675 said:

I got my official call from the "IRS" today about how I am "maliciously not compliance with my tax filings and a police officer will be at my location within 24 hours to seize my custody". I'm terrified y'all, the computerized voice sounded so totally legit.

Yeah, scammers up to it again.  Beware of those who want to get you to say, Yes. I suppose for a recording.  There favorite is, Can you hear me now?  So phony.   I had one call me once, pretending to be from HP to help me with some problems they had detected on my computer!  lol Right......I told them that I was appreciative, but, I'd have to call THEM back.  I did and HP said it was not them.....it was a scam to get into my computer. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Some moron called me once and said my computer was asking him to help me, so turn on my computer and do what he said. It was already on, but I just started laughing and said, "Oh, no." Then I submitted his phone number to the FTC.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

If I see one more meme (posted by people who don’t know how television works) about how The View should be canceled for whatever stupid reason, I am going to lose it. I have never seen an episode of The View (though I once watched a clip because Christopher Meloni was on it!) and advise these dumb meme posters to follow in my footsteps if they don’t like the show. 

It's mostly because people see it as a liberal show.  There's also a photo-shopped pic going around with Whoopi Goldberg wearing a tshirt that says something insulting about the president.  She has shown that it was photo-shopped, has shown the original, and the actual shirt she was wearing that day.  but the fake photo is being spread around as a reason to cancel the show. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Why do we need to wait until a celebrity's death to talk about mental illness?  We should ALWAYS be talking about it - until it is completely destigmatized.  #justsayin

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, backformore said:

It's mostly because people see it as a liberal show.  There's also a photo-shopped pic going around with Whoopi Goldberg wearing a tshirt that says something insulting about the president.  She has shown that it was photo-shopped, has shown the original, and the actual shirt she was wearing that day.  but the fake photo is being spread around as a reason to cancel the show. 

Yeah, this bugs me--and not even just about politically adjacent things. There seems to be a glut of people who really believe that just because they see a photo with words on it, it must be real (my aunts and uncles, and my BF's mom come to mind). They just don't seem to understand or accept that I could make one in two minutes! Even those dumb ads for T-shirts that say shit like "Don't mess with an Aquarius girl" or something--because, no, Jennifer Lopez and Norman Reedus and whoever else are not wearing those as they roam about Hollywood!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/5/2018 at 7:57 PM, emma675 said:

I got my official call from the "IRS" today about how I am "maliciously not compliance with my tax filings and a police officer will be at my location within 24 hours to seize my custody". I'm terrified y'all, the computerized voice sounded so totally legit.

That's the spirit :) I mean, how bad can the scammers get and still hope to earn something from it?  

7 hours ago, PRgal said:

Why do we need to wait until a celebrity's death to talk about mental illness?  We should ALWAYS be talking about it - until it is completely destigmatized.  #justsayin

I don't think it's true that we are not talking about mental illness and I don't think it's stigmatised within the public at large. Some specific illnesses might still be not talked about much, but in general ? I think they are in the public eye.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

23 minutes ago, NutMeg said:

That's the spirit :) I mean, how bad can the scammers get and still hope to earn something from it?  

I don't think it's true that we are not talking about mental illness and I don't think it's stigmatised within the public at large. Some specific illnesses might still be not talked about much, but in general ? I think they are in the public eye.  

Less stigmatized than, say, 10 years ago, but there are people out there who don't believe that certain people can have depression.  Then there are those who don't feel comfortable talking about it as they're worried it'll ruin their (or their family's) reputation.  See this article from the Kansas City Star.  And yes, for some, a family's reputation IS a thing (especially in many East Asian cultures).  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Then there are those who don't feel comfortable talking about it as they're worried it'll ruin their (or their family's) reputation. 

I've had several friends with severe depression/anxiety disorders that FORBADE me from telling anyone about it because they were afraid of not being not being taken seriously, or something.  Even though their periodic panic attacks and collapses into agoraphobia would be interpreted as flakiness if not rudeness by their friends who didn't know they were ill.  Very sad.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I've had several friends with severe depression/anxiety disorders that FORBADE me from telling anyone about it because they were afraid of not being not being taken seriously, or something.  Even though their periodic panic attacks and collapses into agoraphobia would be interpreted as flakiness if not rudeness by their friends who didn't know they were ill.  Very sad.

Or people who believe that it can't happen to successful people who "look happy."  High functioning depression is a thing.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Less stigmatized than, say, 10 years ago, but there are people out there who don't believe that certain people can have depression.  Then there are those who don't feel comfortable talking about it as they're worried it'll ruin their (or their family's) reputation.  See this article from the Kansas City Star.  And yes, for some, a family's reputation IS a thing (especially in many East Asian cultures).  

Wow, that is weird. I first came across having to list you past mental illnesses is Asia, which was so weird to me, because it's such a wide spectrum and with some of it really not relevant.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, PRgal said:

Why do we need to wait until a celebrity's death to talk about mental illness?  We should ALWAYS be talking about it - until it is completely destigmatized.  #justsayin

I got to the part of the story where it said she left a note for her 13 year old daughter saying “This has nothing to do with you. Don’t feel guilty. Ask your dad.” and I got really upset. 

13 is too young to get it. Good luck to dad on doing what he needs to do. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Most networks have unskippable commercials when you watch shows on their websites. Okay, can't really argue with that. But some have now taken to removing the status/option bar when ads are on so viewers can't mute. minimize, etc. Firefox has a mute option on their browser tab, and even that sometimes goes away during commercials.

I can always turn sound off via my laptop controls, but it's starting to feel a little Clockwork Orange-ish around here.

Bonus peeve: Websites that make fun of Walmart shoppers and the like. I'm so sorry that everyone doesn't meet your high personal beauty standards, whoever the classist assholes are who create those.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

18 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I got to the part of the story where it said she left a note for her 13 year old daughter saying “This has nothing to do with you. Don’t feel guilty. Ask your dad.” and I got really upset. 

13 is too young to get it. Good luck to dad on doing what he needs to do. 

Agreed. I’m trying my best to be sympathetic to Kate Spade’s mental plight and I do agree that depression is a powerful sickness that needs more understanding, but I still consider her act extemely selfish and cruel to her poor young daughter.

I feel that once you have a child, it’s not about YOU anymore, and you have to live your life with consideration of your child’s ongoing care—-if she had these kinds of demons and emotions, she should’ve been getting her shit together for the sake of her daughter. 

It doesn’t matter how much she explains it otherwise in that half-assed note she left behind; that girl is going to need years of therapy to deal with this loss and she’s always inevitably going to somehow partially blame herself for her mom’s suicide. Or at the very least, you know she’s going to be left thinking, “I wasn’t enough for my mom; mom just didn’t love me enough to get healthy and stay alive to care for me.”

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

-if she had these kinds of demons and emotions, she should’ve been getting her shit together for the sake of her daughter. 

She was trying.  She was being treated for her mental illness (she suffered from both depression and anxiety) the same way people seek treatment for other diseases; she was ill, and trying to beat the disease and recover.  Her suicide was, as someone put it perfectly (probably because she's a doctor) in another thread, a consequence of her disease.  I am sickened by judging a suicidal mind as if it should have processed and decided in the way a typical mind would, and thus labeling the act selfish and cruel, as if that was the intent.  Because that almost certainly wasn't it at all.  If you talk with someone who contemplated suicide but changed their mind, you may hear them say they were afraid of what it would do to their loved one(s).  But if you talk with someone who got so bad they actually attempted suicide, you will likely hear that survivor say they truly believed their loved one(s) would be better off.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Sun-Bun said:

Agreed. I’m trying my best to be sympathetic to Kate Spade’s mental plight and I do agree that depression is a powerful sickness that needs more understanding, but I still consider her act extemely selfish and cruel to her poor young daughter.

I feel that once you have a child, it’s not about YOU anymore, and you have to live your life with consideration of your child’s ongoing care—-if she had these kinds of demons and emotions, she should’ve been getting her shit together for the sake of her daughter. 

It doesn’t matter how much she explains it otherwise in that half-assed note she left behind; that girl is going to need years of therapy to deal with this loss and she’s always inevitably going to somehow partially blame herself for her mom’s suicide. Or at the very least, you know she’s going to be left thinking, “I wasn’t enough for my mom; mom just didn’t love me enough to get healthy and stay alive to care for me.”

I don't know.   I kinda relate it to parents staying in an unhappy marriage for their kids sake and I know its not an apples to apples comparison.  But is that really better?  If both parents are miserable I'm sure their kids are aware of it.  I would think kids would want their parents to be happy.

Maybe Kate thought her daughter would be better off this way.  Better off w/out her mom, then seeing her mom spiral downwards in her depression and all that entails.  Obviously we can't speak of what her motives were, so that's why its hard for me to see it as being selfish or cruel.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Those sites aren’t making fun of Walmart shoppers’ immutable physical characteristics. They are pointing out their complete lack of judgment- going out in public with one’s ass on display, for example. Don’t want people judging what you do in public? Do better. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for sharing Tiftgirl.  I'm glad that you are better now. I don't doubt the pain and struggle to manage those conditions. Thank goodness you were saved! 

I guess that my concern is that when the family knows about how ill the parent is and they allow the child to stay in the sick parent's care.....it scares me and I wonder if that parent is that ill that they should she be parenting.  I can see how observing her mom's condition would have been stressful for her.  (Kate Spade)

I guess my peeve is when parents expect their kids to handle adult matters and don't realize that they should not have to live walking on egg shells. I have some family members with mental health issues and it is very tough on the family.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

So glad you're still with us, tiftgirl. I was suicidal through my mid teens to mid 20s. I was not thinking correctly and it's a miracle I didn't do anything. I'm under control medically now and can't begin to say how much it has helped, but it took time. Thankfully, I didn't have kids, but if someone had tried to keep me away from my child, it would have destroyed me.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/6/2018 at 10:17 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I have to admit, I do enjoy watching people become enraged over Onion articles though!

I used to, years ago, when you could convince people that an article was made up.  Not so much any more.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
JTMacc99

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size