Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I only half-raised a niece a long time ago, so I have no one to be annoyed with me in my dotage (my critters don't care as long as I remember to feed them).  I also don't have a cell phone to bug some youngster about - but I could teach them a thing or two about land lines (and yes, even party lines & 4 digit phone numbers!!!).  ;-)

Technology makes my teeth itch.

I had a party line once.  What a trip, lol.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I had a party line once.  What a trip, lol.

Oh man, party lines! My grandparents (who lived in a very rural area) had one with their neighbors. I was so confused by that as a kid!

Unrelated peeve - I had a horrific migraine a few hours ago, easily one of the top 3 I’ve ever had. After the migraine is gone I tend to be really energetic, almost hyper. This time is no exception, so I’ll probably be up to the wee hours of the morning. Ugh! 

• Love 3

Ugh, I've had a bad headache off and on for a couple of days now. I barfed at work today an hour before leaving and then barfed again when I got home. I then stripped to cool down and slept. Now I'm awake and the headache is starting to twinge again. Hopefully, the Excedrin cuts it off.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, riley702 said:

Ugh, I've had a bad headache off and on for a couple of days now. I barfed at work today an hour before leaving and then barfed again when I got home. I then stripped to cool down and slept. Now I'm awake and the headache is starting to twinge again. Hopefully, the Excedrin cuts it off.

This was the first time a headache has actually made me vomit. I have a very, very strong anti-vomit reflex so it is a once in a decade experience for me usually. I have so much sympathy for you! I took my new migraine medicine but it did nothing at all for me.  Tomorrow is going to suck - actually, it’s today already, and it indeed sucks! I need to sleep?

• Love 3

I'm never able to puke when I have a migraine. I wish I could because I think I would feel better even though I hate throwing up. Nausea is even worse, and I'm usually nauseated with migraines. Mom was always able to throw up when she had migraines.

Such a pleasant topic.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I'm never able to puke when I have a migraine. I wish I could because I think I would feel better even though I hate throwing up. Nausea is even worse, and I'm usually nauseated with migraines. Mom was always able to throw up when she had migraines.

Such a pleasant topic.

I thought it would help, but I was wrong. I continued to be nauseated for the next few hours until the headache subsided. But now I’m starting to feel the rebound headache, which is never as bad as the original migraine but is still irritating. 

• Love 2

I'm bothered by people being OTT politically correct/super sensitive these days - to the point that it's actually offensive (i.e. they're being the OPPOSITE of what they're trying to do).  This goes from wearing cultural clothing (there's a line - it's okay if you're NOT mocking the culture (i.e. wearing things as is, without making it too costume-y/wearing, say, blackface, etc...)) or even being careful NOT to celebrate certain milestones common in "mainstream" North American culture because it's not "traditionally" done in the other person's heritage (e.g. bridal or baby showers, Halloween, etc...).  I don't want people to be "too careful" around me nor do I want people to be SHOCKED AND SURPRISED that I'm not "traditional."  :( 

• Love 8

Headaches are the worst.  I've had chronic migraine since I was 13.  Nothing really works.  One thing my doctor did tell me was to throw out all of my excedrine.  I only use prescription pain killers now.  I rarely throw up with migraines but have on very rare occasions.

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Here's the thing about your hearing: you don't get it back once you damage it. When people let their kids listen to their devices at full blast or have the TV blaring all the time, I think to myself, "They're not going to be able to hear at all by the time they are 30."

That’s why I always tell people that a good stock to buy is one that the manufacturer makes hearing aid batteries! 

Edited to add that I wear earplugs in the movies too. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

That’s why I always tell people that a good stock to buy is one that the manufacturer makes hearing aid batteries! 

Edited to add that I wear earplugs in the movies too. 

I have congenital hearing loss in one of my ears and I STILL find things loud.  I can't typically can't stay long at clubs and rarely go to concerts for that reason.  You'd think that I'd have trouble hearing...

• Love 2
1 minute ago, PRgal said:

I have congenital hearing loss in one of my ears and I STILL find things loud.  I can't typically can't stay long at clubs and rarely go to concerts for that reason.  You'd think that I'd have trouble hearing...

Then it sounds as though you are doing a good job of protecting what hearing that you have and that is a good thing. 

1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I'm bothered by people being OTT politically correct/super sensitive these days - to the point that it's actually offensive (i.e. they're being the OPPOSITE of what they're trying to do).  This goes from wearing cultural clothing (there's a line - it's okay if you're NOT mocking the culture (i.e. wearing things as is, without making it too costume-y/wearing, say, blackface, etc...)) or even being careful NOT to celebrate certain milestones common in "mainstream" North American culture because it's not "traditionally" done in the other person's heritage (e.g. bridal or baby showers, Halloween, etc...).  I don't want people to be "too careful" around me nor do I want people to be SHOCKED AND SURPRISED that I'm not "traditional."  :( 

There's a new name in town that I think describes what you're saying to tee - "Cultural Appropriation". 

It is becoming incredibly annoying that the usual virtue-signallers from Twitter, will shout in faux outrage about anyone (but in particular Westerners) wearing or using anything that belongs to a different culture (a white woman got heavily criticised for having dreadlock hair; a guy received a torrent of abuse just because he painted his face and did the Hakka in his back garden on You Tube. to name but two)

I've got say we're approaching an era of digital fascism & over-zealous scrutiny - do anything, say anything, wear anything, eat anything - be on your guard because someone out there will be outraged and mortally offended by your actions, ffs! 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Zola said:

There's a new name in town that I think describes what you're saying to tee - "Cultural Appropriation". 

It is becoming incredibly annoying that the usual virtue-signallers from Twitter, will shout in faux outrage about anyone (but in particular Westerners) wearing or using anything that belongs to a different culture (a white woman got heavily criticised for having dreadlock hair; a guy received a torrent of abuse just because he painted his face and did the Hakka in his back garden on You Tube. to name but two)

I've got say we're approaching an era of digital fascism & over-zealous scrutiny - do anything, say anything, wear anything, eat anything - be on your guard because someone out there will be outraged and mortally offended by your actions, ffs! 

Did you see the story about the high school girl who bought a Chinese dress for Prom?  It's a dress, people. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Trying to teach my mother how to mute the ringer on her flip phone, (don't judge, she's 87) so that she doesn't annoy the life out of everyone around her while she moves at a glacial pace to answer the damn thing, which is of course set at a gazillion decibels.  

I guess the joke is on me...I'm the only one annoyed because all of the folks around her are in her ~ahem~ demographic, and don't hear it anyway, lol.

Love the mom, hate the phone.

It's not just elderly people who keep their ringer volume on and at 100 decimals, I work with people my age (50) and younger who keep their ringtones on and loud and have no regard for anyone else's irritation as it rings and rings and rings while they take their time answering it. My phone has been on the vibrate setting for 3+years, I have it connected to my fitbit so even if I'm in another room I'll know if someone is calling me, but at least if I don't feel the vibration I don't bother anyone else with RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING,RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING,RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING, RING-RING!!!!!!

• Love 2

God, yes! If the phone is beside you on your desk, the ringer doesn't need to be set to the highest volume.

I have been known to turn down the ringers on desk phones when the desk occupants were away. I shouldn't hear your desk phone from across the room!

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Did you see the story about the high school girl who bought a Chinese dress for Prom?  It's a dress, people. 

That's sort of what I'm referring to.  And it's more often people NOT from said culture who claim to be offended.  I'm of Chinese heritage and I agree.  IT'S A DRESS.  She was in no way mocking the culture (wearing yellow face/fake single eyelids would be a WHOLE OTHER STORY).  And it's not just white people.  It's being super-sensitive around minorities - even well-integrated ones - and being too careful about what to say to them, just in case they're going to be offended.  As someone who doesn't have a lot of close friends, I'm worried that the over-PC'd crowd (usually multigenerational Anglo-Canadians) won't know what to do with me regarding certain certain celebrations that are not considered "traditional" in my ancestral culture.  Perhaps even skipping it because they were told it was considered bad luck.  It's just another way of leaving people out, IMHO.

• Love 6

I eventually turned the phone and text alerts on my cell phone to vibrate only. I have my Fitbit synced up to vibrate when I get a call or text just in case I'm not next to the phone at the time.

The one giant drawback to this would be when I misplace my phone. The ringer would come in handy then.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

That's sort of what I'm referring to.  And it's more often people NOT from said culture who claim to be offended.  I'm of Chinese heritage and I agree.  IT'S A DRESS.  She was in no way mocking the culture (wearing yellow face/fake single eyelids would be a WHOLE OTHER STORY).  And it's not just white people.  It's being super-sensitive around minorities - even well-integrated ones - and being too careful about what to say to them, just in case they're going to be offended.  As someone who doesn't have a lot of close friends, I'm worried that the over-PC'd crowd (usually multigenerational Anglo-Canadians) won't know what to do with me regarding certain certain celebrations that are not considered "traditional" in my ancestral culture.  Perhaps even skipping it because they were told it was considered bad luck.  It's just another way of leaving people out, IMHO.

I used to carpool with this girl from China.  One day on the way home she's talking and I can't understand a word she's saying.  I'm like "What????"  And she said, "I forgot you don't speak Mandarin."  We laughed and she repeated herself in English.  I think it would be nice if people would sometimes just forget what culture another person is from and if you inadvertently offend them, let them tell you how and why and you can go from there.  I am not saying, obviously, that you should go around trying to offend people and poking fun at other cultures.  Just that there shouldn't be a need or expectation of tip-toing and people should be able to act "normally." 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

I eventually turned the phone and text alerts on my cell phone to vibrate only. I have my Fitbit synced up to vibrate when I get a call or text just in case I'm not next to the phone at the time.

The one giant drawback to this would be when I misplace my phone. The ringer would come in handy then.

My phone is permanently on vibrate for EVERYTHING (I have four email accounts plus social)!  

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I can’t send PM’s unless the other user wants to PM me first. How do I find someone to fix this glitch. I tried looking under “Everything Else”. Any suggestions? 

I looked a couple of places and can't see a setting where that would affect that.  Is this a consistent problem or specific to one person?  Could that person have perhaps blocked your or disabled their messenger?  Also, what are you using for a device?  There could be some kind of device specific glitch.

• Love 1
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I looked a couple of places and can't see a setting where that would affect that.  Is this a consistent problem or specific to one person?  Could that person have perhaps blocked your or disabled their messenger?  Also, what are you using for a device?  There could be some kind of device specific glitch.

I’m using an iPad and it happens no matter whom I’m trying to contact. I did find a topic for “Bugs” and posted there but no reply so far. 

P.S. Thank you for trying 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added a P.S.
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I can’t send PM’s unless the other user wants to PM me first. How do I find someone to fix this glitch. I tried looking under “Everything Else”. Any suggestions? 

Top of your Home page is a line item "Info".  Click on that - look for "Bugs".  Perhaps you can report it there to the mod responsible.

Edit - oops  nm

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Reporting this to the mods in the Bugs section is your best bet.

46 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m using an iPad and it happens no matter whom I’m trying to contact. I did find a topic for “Bugs” and posted there but no reply so far. 

P.S. Thank you for trying 

Just give them a bit; they'll answer you eventually.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, partofme said:

Headaches are the worst.  I've had chronic migraine since I was 13.  Nothing really works.  One thing my doctor did tell me was to throw out all of my excedrine.  I only use prescription pain killers now.  I rarely throw up with migraines but have on very rare occasions.

I hear ya.  Have had them since my teens as well.  People promised they would disappear with menopause, but here I am at 61 still fighting with them.  OTC meds never did a thing for them, so I have to rely on the expensive prescription stuff too.  Sorry you are a member of the club.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, GoodieGirl said:

and younger who keep their ringtones on and loud and have no regard for anyone else's irritation as it rings and rings and rings while they take their time answering it. My phone has been on the vibrate setting for 3+years,

12 hours ago, bilgistic said:

God, yes! If the phone is beside you on your desk, the ringer doesn't need to be set to the highest volume.

11 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I eventually turned the phone and text alerts on my cell phone to vibrate only.

OMG, I have a co-worker who has is AWFUL about this - she is actually the receptionist at the office, and her phone sits out, and she has personalized ringtones for everyone she knows, including text messages. And she tells us who they're for - oh, that horrible song is her booty call #1, that one's her booty call #2, etc. She makes NO effort to end these even when she's RIGHT THERE. We do NOT need to know about your booty calls OR your awful choice in music. (Yes, she overshares. Often. Frequently. Too much.)

Sincerely, saoirse who keeps her phone on silent 97.273% of the time.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, saoirse said:

personalized ringtones for everyone she knows, including text messages

I discovered that personalized text tones creates a problem should a relationship with one of those people go sideways.

When you hear that ring tone on somebody else's phone, AND YOU WILL, it makes your stomach turn over. 

So before I completely shut off sounds, I standardized all tones with the exception of son and daughter.

• Love 1

If I did that I would probably spend scads of time finding ringtones - Imperial Death March, American Idiot, People are Strange (Echo & the Bunnymen cover), ...

Now I want the Law & Order sound effect (Dun dun) for my text notification.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Reporting this to the mods in the Bugs section is your best bet.

Just give them a bit; they'll answer you eventually.

They did answer me, and we figured out what I was doing wrong. No more issues with it. I love a happy ending. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

I think you need to do that, and I would hazard a guess that it's readily available somewhere on the internet for exactly that reason. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DeLurker said:

If I did that I would probably spend scads of time finding ringtones - Imperial Death March, American Idiot, People are Strange (Echo & the Bunnymen cover), ...

I'm still looking for the opening to Town Called Malice for my ringtone. But I promise that my phone is on mute 90% of the time!

• Love 2
On 4/30/2018 at 3:10 PM, bilgistic said:

My mom did, too. She and I went to see a movie when we were at the beach, and she bought two senior tickets. I didn't feel like that was right because *I'm* not a senior. Her reasoning was that she was the one buying the tickets.

Ask her if it would be okay if a family of three goes to a movie and the 10-year-old kid buys three "child" tickets for him and his two parents.

• Love 4
(edited)

Today’s pet peeve (aside from stupid people behind the wheel, that is) is people on message boards who think they are entitled to tell others how to think or post based on their own moral/ethical compass. I disagree with a lot of things people say, especially online, but I don’t think I’m so important that I somehow have the right to silence or police them. If a person is that sensitive they aren’t cut out for adulthood and need to move back into mommy’s basement for the rest of their lives where no dissent has to be tolerated and life is a shiny happy utopia.

My biggest fear pertaining to this situation is this Stalinesque horror will somehow get her tyrannical fingers on a mod position (she already thinks she’s one) and there goes my favorite message board. 

The funny thing is I was thinking she was that kid who always ran tattling to the adult. The next day she’s telling others to keep reporting this awful offensive posts. Oh, how I want to respond to that! But I put her on ignore instead for my own peace of mind. 

Thats one one thing I love about here. Telling others how to post isn’t tolerated. 

I just read the posts above on this subject. Are we all visiting the same message board??

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, bubbls said:

Today’s pet peeve (aside from stupid people behind the wheel, that is) is people on message boards who think they are entitled to tell others how to think or post based on their own moral/ethical compass. I disagree with a lot of things people say, especially online, but I don’t think I’m so important that I somehow have the right to silence or police them. If a person is that sensitive they aren’t cut out for adulthood and need to move back into mommy’s basement for the rest of their lives where no dissent has to be tolerated and life is a shiny happy utopia.

My biggest fear pertaining to this situation is this Stalinesque horror will somehow get her tyrannical fingers on a mod position (she already thinks she’s one) and there goes my favorite message board. 

The funny thing is I was thinking she was that kid who always ran tattling to the adult. The next day she’s telling others to keep reporting this awful offensive posts. Oh, how I want to respond to that! But I put her on ignore instead for my own peace of mind. 

Thats one one thing I love about here. Telling others how to post isn’t tolerated. 

I just read the posts above on this subject. Are we all visiting the same message board??

THIS!!  See my post earlier about being too PC these days (and this is coming from a progressive's mouth...er...fingers)!  I am now worried I'll be forever banished to right wing conservativeland by this sensitive kidults.  

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, PRgal said:

THIS!!  See my post earlier about being too PC these days (and this is coming from a progressive's mouth...er...fingers)!  I am now worried I'll be forever banished to right wing conservativeland by this sensitive kidults.  

I'm pretty conservative.  It's not a dirty thing:)

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I saw your post after I posted mine! I’m very right wing conservative myself. PC fascists are worrisome to all sides of the political aisle! Kidults...lol..that’s perfect. Edited to say I apparently los e my ability to use punctuation while ranting....

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, forumfish said:

today I wished for a cop to be nearby as I watched a woman pull out of the "enter only" drive at the elementary school across from my house.

I can't remember the details now, but Mr. Outlier and I were in Taos, New Mexico, once, on the main street there.  Some car offended us somehow--probably blowing past us like we were standing still, and we're not exactly sluggish drivers.  It was bad enough that we both said out loud, "Where is a cop when you want one?"  And a little farther down the street, there was the speedster--pulled over by a cop.  It felt like we'd won the lottery!

• Love 13
4 hours ago, forumfish said:

Re: stupid people behind the wheel -- today I wished for a cop to be nearby as I watched a woman pull out of the "enter only" drive at the elementary school across from my house. (This is a recurring peeve of mine, due to safety reasons.) Today's driver had to squeeze by a school bus that had pulled in to pick up students, so she had to have known she was driving the wrong way. What I really wanted a cop to witness, however, was the smartphone she was holding pressed to her ear as she talked and drove. Being a school zone, the $200 fine she'd have been given may have gotten her attention.

Report it to the school admin in an email.  They usually can request to have local pd on hand at the start/end of school just because people are morons even with an environment swarming with kids.

if it continues to happen, forward the email to someone at the regional level.

• Love 4
(edited)
19 hours ago, forumfish said:

Re: stupid people behind the wheel -- today I wished for a cop to be nearby as I watched a woman pull out of the "enter only" drive at the elementary school across from my house. (This is a recurring peeve of mine, due to safety reasons.) Today's driver had to squeeze by a school bus that had pulled in to pick up students, so she had to have known she was driving the wrong way. What I really wanted a cop to witness, however, was the smartphone she was holding pressed to her ear as she talked and drove. Being a school zone, the $200 fine she'd have been given may have gotten her attention.

My SIL drives a bus, and people will frequently call in to the school to complain a bus is too slow because they don't exceed the speed limit. The speeds are recorded and she would be fired if she ever speeds. Shortly after one of those complaints, there was another call, accusing my SIL for driving fast and erratically. Apparently he was unaware of the 3 cameras onboard that showed the only thing amiss that day was someone impatiently tail-gating her. 

Edited by riley702
  • Love 13
59 minutes ago, riley702 said:

My SIL drives a bus, and people will frequently call in to the school to complain a bus is too slow because they don;t exceed the speed limit. The speeds are recorded and she would be fired if she ever speeds. Shortly after one of those complaints, there was another call, accusing my SIL for driving fast and erratically. Apparently he was unaware of the 3 cameras onboard that showed the only thing amiss that day was someone impatiently tail-gating her. 

That's not fair to her-- getting in trouble for obeying the speed limit, and then getting in more trouble for exceeding it. That latter one is not fair to her because, what was she supposed to do if someone was forcing her to speed and get in trouble? That's just how I'm reading this. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

That latter one is not fair to her because, what was she supposed to do if someone was forcing her to speed and get in trouble? That's just how I'm reading this. 

If someone had a gun and told her to speed or he would shoot her or the kids, I'm sure they would waive any trouble she would otherwise have been in.  I'm really not sure how else you "make" someone speed.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, riley702 said:

My SIL drives a bus, and people will frequently call in to the school to complain a bus is too slow because they don;t exceed the speed limit. The speeds are recorded and she would be fired if she ever speeds. Shortly after one of those complaints, there was another call, accusing my SIL for driving fast and erratically. Apparently he was unaware of the 3 cameras onboard that showed the only thing amiss that day was someone impatiently tail-gating her. 

Do people not care about the safety of the kids? 

• Love 4

She doesn't get in trouble because the technology clears her of any wrong-doing. She just has to bring the bus in so they can pull the tapes and prove she wasn't doing anything wrong. And sadly, a lot of these people are more worried about their late start to work than the kids.

• Love 6

I’m surprised about the cameras. About ten years ago I saw a school bus with kids not only run a stop sign, but pull out in front of me to the point I had to slow down to avoid hitting it, take the turn on two wheels, and then it drove off like a bat out of hell. I assumed there was some type of emergency. It never occurred to me to report it. I didn’t know you could do that. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Do people not care about the safety of the kids? 

No. Where's Helen Lovejoy when you need her?

1 minute ago, bubbls said:

I’m surprised about the cameras. About ten years ago I saw a school bus with kids not only run a stop sign, but pull out in front of me to the point I had to slow down to avoid hitting it, take the turn on two wheels, and then it drove off like a bat out of hell. I assumed there was some type of emergency. It never occurred to me to report it. I didn’t know you could do that. 

Speaking of The Simpsons, that was Otto's bus.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, forumfish said:

I have reported it, even sending a note to the district's security office. I may walk over with a note tomorrow, the principal is new this year, so maybe she can send out a reminder to the parents. On the other hand, my neighbor has requested police presence because of the high number of people blocking (and even using) her driveway during pick-up hours, to no avail.

I'd probably start to visibly take photos of them parking blocking the driveway, including getting the license plate.  They will get very defensive but too bad.  Same thing with the people exiting the enter only section.  Tell them (and the school & district) that their chronic breaking of traffic rules and lack of common sense, in an elementary school zone is a safety hazard , reckless and negligent.  The pictures and a complaint will be going to the Board of Education, local PD and local press.

Words like "negligent" should get someone's attention.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Report it to the school admin in an email.  They usually can request to have local pd on hand at the start/end of school just because people are morons even with an environment swarming with kids.

if it continues to happen, forward the email to someone at the regional level.

Plus get the licence plant no. if possible - let the school admin. have that on file.

• Love 3

A (small) school bus regularly made a u-turn on my street, to avoid the extra 5 seconds it would take to drive around the block.  I sent a video to the bus company.   Haven't seen him do it since.

• Love 3

ARGH! Pet peeve for this week, and the last 52 as well, my coworker who constantly complains about how busy she is, on and on about all the work she has to do, all the calls, emails and phone messages she has to return. Yet when I offer to help her she looks at me like I just threatened her child. And she is no busier than I am, she just likes people to KNOW she's busy, so busy, so very, very busy. Shut up and do your damn job, stop looking for people to acknowledge and sympathize with you, or worse, tell you how they can't believe how much you do. GAH!!  

Mind you, she's got plenty of time to chat with her office crush, go for coffee with and run errands with him as well.....don't get me started on that mess....

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, GoodieGirl said:

ARGH! Pet peeve for this week, and the last 52 as well, my coworker who constantly complains about how busy she is, on and on about all the work she has to do, all the calls, emails and phone messages she has to return. Yet when I offer to help her she looks at me like I just threatened her child. And she is no busier than I am, she just likes people to KNOW she's busy, so busy, so very, very busy. Shut up and do your damn job, stop looking for people to acknowledge and sympathize with you, or worse, tell you how they can't believe how much you do. GAH!!  

I remember one time at a previous job, my supervisor sent me to someone in another department to help someone because she had a lot of work to do.  So, I went over and told her I was supposed to help her and she bit my head off and said she didn't have time to show me what to do.  Now, I do understand that sometimes it's faster to do something yourself than to show someone else how to do it, but she had a whole pile of same thing over and over going on.  There's no way it would have taken her longer to show me how to do it than the amount of time I would have cut off her work.  Anyway, I went back to my supervisor and told her she didn't want my help. I didn't say anything about her biting my head off as she did shout rather loudly, which I think is a very rude response to an offer of help whether you want it or not.  My supervisor was like "why not? She has to have all that done by tomorrow?"  So, I said she said it would take her longer to show me how. My supervisor rolled her eyes and said "that's ridiculous but if she wants to do it all herself that's her business I guess."  Well, the other woman's supervisor called my supervisor a  little later and asked why she didn't send me over or when I was coming over or something like tht (she was at lunch or something when I went over the first time).  My supervisor told her my help had been refused.  I don't know what happened after that.  

• Love 4