Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

• Start Topic

Decor shopping pet peeve here:

I finally find a new kitchen rug I like online---perfect color to match my kitchen wall/accent colors. I find it on several websites, eBay too. Need a certain particular size. Andddddd....it's sold out ONLY in that size. On every single site. In that exact color combination. And after multiple email inquiries at all those sites, it won't be restocked in that size again, for whatever strange reason.

So I happen find that one particular size of that rug pop up on eBay after a week or so of searching/inquiring online. I'm so excited!! I bid huge bucks over its asking price on it for my final bid because its auction ends in the middle of the night. I wake the next morning to see that some dick outbid me by one dollar 10 seconds before the auction ended. Arrrrghhhh!!!!

I give up.

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, you rock! I think I was starting to become too creative and, as such, created only gibberish!

In case anyone's curious, here's why I am looking: I saw this dress on an old blog post and I want it! It's nowhere to be found so I figured I could make something similar.

MP2822I-MULZOOM1.jpg

If you buy the tiger cub print fabric, please make me some sleepy pants, a.k.a., pajama bottoms, with it!

I returned a Redbox movie in my kitties-at-the-beach sleepy pants last night. In my defense, the box is outside.

My mom finds cool fabric and makes great sleepy pants!

@forumfish Very sad to hear about your family members. That’s tough when cancer strikes someone in your family (or that you care about) and it can be infuriating to not be able to cure or comfort them adequately (in our own mind’s realm). Very sorry to hear about your family member. Wishing you strength. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
One letter was missing. Unless you are the grammar police and something else is still incorrect.
20 hours ago, forumfish said:

@Mindthinkr --thank you! Thankfully, both cousins have good support systems. I'd just like to be close enough to take meals or run errands if that would help, ya know?

If I may make a suggestion.   You could send a care package or just something to brighten their day.

I know that when my Grandmother was no longer able to take care of herself, there was stuff she wouldn't ask the people who were there but she'd talk to me about.  A bit of not being to a burden to her care givers (family) but being willing to talk/vent about some things to family that was remote.

I got in the habit of mailing simple stuff to fix problems.  Stuff like she was losing her sight and her light bulbs weren't bright enough to see at night. She couldn't thread a needle so I found some that could be threaded by feel.

Similar thing when my Uncle had cancer.  He was three time zones away, but that meant that if he was having a rough night he could call his siblings on this coast and they would be awake.  It gave him an outlet that wasn't putting added strain on those nearby.

3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

@walnutqueen and I learned from a commenter in another forum that any woman born before 1980 is an "old hag". Ha!

2 hours ago, emma675 said:

Damn, I'm suddenly an old hag. ?

As a know-it-all irritating Millennial, I have to disagree with such appalling labelling. You are all wonderful, responsible, wise, respected and informed citizens. And I am honoured to be associated with such people here  ....

<Zola is trying hard to keep a straight face>

3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

@walnutqueen and I learned from a commenter in another forum that any woman born before 1980 is an "old hag". Ha!

3 hours ago, emma675 said:

Damn, I'm suddenly an old hag. ?

I refer to myself as a crone.

But then, I refer to millennials as whippersnappers.

4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

But then, I refer to millennials as whippersnappers.

Old hag here too! I have what I think I a funny comment but the moderators wouldn’t  approve so I’ll give you this. 

6D0D5290-5B0B-4A19-A46B-BC459C2E260B.jpeg.dbc65d515fab392a3afb74ab45eef987.jpeg

No more listening to the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd etc for all of you who wouldn’t care to hear some old hags contributions to what makes your life special (and so much easier in so many ways that we paved). 

My sister is a pretty non-emotional person, but she was rocked to the core the first time she heard '90s music on the oldies station. Her face looked like she'd seen a ghost. In our minds, the '90s are eternally just "10 years ago" for some reason.

9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

When I was young, 32 was the age that I considered that your life was over, or might as well be.  Of course, this was a reflection of the oh-so-well informed & Know-it-all brain of under 20 DeLurker. 

10 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I used the search function here and searched the entire board for "old hag" and found said thread. That person first tried to say 90 then when their post received blowback they decided to change the year to 80.  Along with that change they mentioned being born in 1997 which explained the posting like they were texting. 

Seeing those posts brings me to one of my pet peeves when which is when people post like they are texting and don't use any punctuation at all. Not using spacing drives me crazy too. I've usually skip posts that contain huge blocks of text with no spacing at all.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

When I was young, 32 was the age that I considered that your life was over, or might as well be.  Of course, this was a reflection of the oh-so-well informed & Know-it-all brain of under 20 DeLurker. 

A few years ago a 10 or 11 year old told me that 42 is when you're officially old.  It's just a "fact."  I found it odd that it wasn't a round number, but OK.  If she says it's a fact. It must be a fact:)

In not too short a time that poster born in 1997 is going to be an "old hag" to people born in 2007. The world keeps a turnin'. 

Many years ago my nephew' "other" grandmother and I  decided to fudge our ages. She said decided it would be her 59th birthday. I decided I was going to stay at 39. My then seven-year-old nephew looked at both of us and said "well I guess I'm not born yet". Little smartass almost didn't make it to 8. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Katy M said:

A few years ago a 10 or 11 year old told me that 42 is when you're officially old.  It's just a "fact."  I found it odd that it wasn't a round number, but OK.  If she says it's a fact. It must be a fact:)

It was a totally arbitrary and random number, but I was absolutely certain it was 32.

Where I used to work, two if the people in and adjoining department were always kidding rather harshly with each other.  My favorite was when Jeff wrote "29 Again" on her white board on her birthday.

35 minutes ago, Qoass said:

I'm really sick of the cutesy tip toeing around the trademark for the Super Bowl. Everybody knows what the "big game" is. Let it go.

I worked on a tv commercial years ago that ran during the game and we had to avoid those two words unless we wanted to fork out hundreds of thousands of dollars. Saying "big game" was a way around paying the money while still letting people know you're talking about the Super Bowl, but it's gotten ridiculous lately.

Edited by emma675d
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Qoass said:

I'm really sick of the cutesy tip toeing around the trademark for the Super Bowl. Everybody knows what the "big game" is. Let it go.

As someone who lives outside of the US, what has actually happened? 

As @emma675 indicated, the NFL has trademarked the term "Super Bowl" so nobody can use it without their permission. Therefore, anybody selling TVs, couches, chips and dip or anything else to enjoy on that day must refer to it by another name such as "the big game". It's ridiculous.

And @theredhead77, as a New Englander, we've been blaming Goddell for ages!

36 minutes ago, Zola said:

As someone who lives outside of the US, what has actually happened? 

I posted this last year in a different thread, but it boils down to the name "Super Bowl" is trademarked and the NFL will sue.

2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

What about men before 1980? What does that make them?

Silver foxes.  Life is unfair.  ;-)

I've never paid any attention to age, or thought any particular age is "old".  Maybe that is because I spent my very early years in an apartment building with a many seniors, and spent a lot of time with them and my grandparents (and great-grandparents).  I am also absolutely clueless about being able to guess any adult's age - not that I even care to do so.  It just doesn't matter to me.

10 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Silver foxes.  Life is unfair.  ;-)

I've never paid any attention to age, or thought any particular age is "old".  Maybe that is because I spent my very early years in an apartment building with a many seniors, and spent a lot of time with them and my grandparents (and great-grandparents).  I am also absolutely clueless about being able to guess any adult's age - not that I even care to do so.  It just doesn't matter to me.

I'm terrible at guessing ages--kids, too.  Or height.  Or weight. My biggest fear is that I'm going to be the sole witness to a crime.  I'll be like um, I think maybe it was a guy, probably an adult.  He may have had hair.  Not really sure.  OK, I also have visual memory issues that have nothing to do with determining age and measurements.

My super human talent is finding the grocery shopping cart that pulls to one side or rolls over a molecule which throws the wheels ability to rotate properly out of whack.

Humorist Erma Bombeck said that she always got the cart with three wheels that wanted to shop and one that wanted to go to the parking lot.  

I still pay all my (and my parents') bills by writing out a check and I'm 38.  I don't trust that autopay nonsense to not take out the wrong amount or take it out twice.  Plus, I like to look at the actual bill before I pay it to ensure that it's actually correct.  You can pry my checkbook out of my cold, dead hands.  However, I would never write a check at a store.  That takes entirely too long.

I'm a 'woman of a certain age' and I still pay my bills by check (and either mail them in or pay in person--those are usually the power bill and the water/sewage/trash pickup bill at the City Hall).  I just feel comfortable doing that and as long as checks are accepted I will continue to do that.  I do pay by credit card (or cash if it's a small amount) at grocery stores.  

Speaking of stores, Wal Mart did it to me again.  I went in a little while ago to pick up some thing (I even had a list for a change) and they were in middle of rearranging the entire frozen food section.  I had to ask where the frozen chicken filets and the frozen veggies had been moved.  And, I guess they will be doing that to the entire store because I saw those little blueprint-looking slips taped up all over that I'm assuming show the new arrangement of goods to the stock people. 

One good result of my trip to Wal Mart.  The woman who checked me out did one of the best packing jobs on the canned cat food I bought.  Usually, I have to unpack a bag with a jumble of cans and have to sort them out by size and stack them right side up for storing.  She arranged all of the cans by size around the one box of canned food I bought.  All I had to do was just reach in and pick out each 'stack' already ready for storing.  Very nice! (Okay, there was another good thing:  Even though I shouldn't have, I stopped by the 'Oops! We made too much!' marked-down baked goods cart and picked up a four-pack of lemon-filled/lemon-iced cupcakes that taste like they were just baked.  And it was eighty-two cents for the four.  I should go back and get more!)

5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I used the search function here and searched the entire board for "old hag" and found said thread. That person first tried to say 90 then when their post received blowback they decided to change the year to 80.  Along with that change they mentioned being born in 1997 which explained the posting like they were texting.

I'm on that thread, too, but I hadn't checked it since the poster changed it from 1990 to 1980.  I was going to respond, "Please tell me you're a troll," but decided to ignore the young hag. 

And posting as if texting is annoying enough, but at least make some sense!  That person was deriding college, but then said "i didnt go to college because i went to work for my providing for my family after some personal family losses. but i am going now . plus college degree is a 200K peice of paper that has no value. i know lot more that a graduate would from a college ion my field."

Is that person going to college now, to get a $200,000 piece of paper that has no value?  I hate it when people aren't clear, and I particularly hate it when I have parse someone's shit only to end up with something that's still not clear.

That's why lawyers often say they'd prefer to have a good lawyer than a bad lawyer as an opponent.  Because if it's a bad lawyer, I have to build that idiot's case for him in order to knock it down--it's more work for me.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I'm terrible at guessing ages--kids, too.  Or height.  Or weight. My biggest fear is that I'm going to be the sole witness to a crime.  I'll be like um, I think maybe it was a guy, probably an adult.  He may have had hair.  Not really sure.  OK, I also have visual memory issues that have nothing to do with determining age and measurements.

I was always afraid my dad would go missing and they'd ask me to describe him, and all I'd be able to say was, "White, about six feet tall, dark hair, dark eyes."  Of course I could pick him out of a lineup, but if they were trying to do a composite sketch based on my description?  I'd look like the worst daughter in the world.

51 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

One good result of my trip to Wal Mart.  The woman who checked me out did one of the best packing jobs on the canned cat food I bought.  Usually, I have to unpack a bag with a jumble of cans and have to sort them out by size and stack them right side up for storing.  She arranged all of the cans by size around the one box of canned food I bought.  All I had to do was just reach in and pick out each 'stack' already ready for storing.  Very nice!

That's one reason I always bag my own stuff.  And I put it on the belt in the order it's going to go into the bag(s). 

A cashier actually thanked me the other day, and she seemed sincere.  I've started responding, "I think I missed my calling."

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Old hag here too! I have what I think I a funny comment but the moderators wouldn’t  approve so I’ll give you this. 

6D0D5290-5B0B-4A19-A46B-BC459C2E260B.jpeg.dbc65d515fab392a3afb74ab45eef987.jpeg

No more listening to the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd etc for all of you who wouldn’t care to hear some old hags contributions to what makes your life special (and so much easier in so many ways that we paved). 

When I first heard the Black Crowes on the oldies station I was not amused. I listened to them in high school and college in the 1990s.

Edited by bilgistic

That's why lawyers often say they'd prefer to have a good lawyer than a bad lawyer as an opponent.  Because if it's a bad lawyer, I have to build that idiot's case for him in order to knock it down--it's more work for me.

That's why top seeds often lose a set in the first round of Grand Slam tennis tournaments, when they are playing an unranked, wildcard player.  Playing against a markedly lesser opponent brings you down to their level.

6 hours ago, ABay said:

One of my friends will be celebrating the 25th anniversary of his 34th birthday this year.

Heh. If I had a birthday this year, I would phrase the appropriate number that way. 

And I'm late to the old hag party here, but 1980? Hee! I guess I've got quite a hag fetish and didn't know it.

28 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

When I first heard the Black Crows on the oldies station I was not amused. I listened to them in college in the 1990s.

Scoot over on the old hag bench, I saw them in concert in college in 1991. Best memory of the concert - the very tattooed biker guy and his girlfriend next to me wanted a good picture of the band on stage. There was no seating, just standing on the concert grounds.  As I was taller than both of them and lighter than his girlfriend, he hoisted me on his shoulders so I could get a picture above the crowd. I felt like I was one of those girls you see in concert videos from the 80s. Excellent concert!

Pet peeve -coworkers. As always.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 1

Just for my nosey curiosity, are there any regulars on here younger than me (24)?

My 18th birthday seems such a long time ago now, and am slowly losing touch with the latest trends. For example Facebook (what I spent my misspent youth on) is so dated and "back in the day" compared to say whatsapp or Instagram that today's kids are hooked now.

It won't be long before the Millennial generation is dumped into the "yeah whatever" chapter of social history.

7 hours ago, Katy M said:

The kid may be right because 42 is the age where I became completely obsessed with retirement.  At that point most people have spent half their life working.  Its enough, except there are another 25.5 years to go. And I'm not going to wait that long.

OK I do admit, that when I was young there was one guy at work who would include "10 years until retirement" in every conversation and I would respond with "shut up, 45 years". 

2 hours ago, Zola said:

Just for my nosey curiosity, are there any regulars on here younger than me (24)?

My 18th birthday seems such a long time ago now, and am slowly losing touch with the latest trends. For example Facebook (what I spent my misspent youth on) is so dated and "back in the day" compared to say whatsapp or Instagram that today's kids are hooked now.

It won't be long before the Millennial generation is dumped into the "yeah whatever" chapter of social history.

Reading this reminded me of this video that a friend sent me on Facebook today.?????

It’s hilarious yet so...true from what I’ve seen.

okay the link embedded wasn’t working, so try the below.

https://vimeo.com/239050403?ref=em-v-share

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
10 hours ago, AuntieL said:

Many years ago my nephew' "other" grandmother and I  decided to fudge our ages. She said decided it would be her 59th birthday. I decided I was going to stay at 39. My then seven-year-old nephew looked at both of us and said "well I guess I'm not born yet". Little smartass almost didn't make it to 8. 

My Nana tried to stay at 59 for awhile. When I was about 7 or 8 I figured out that if she really was that age then she had to have had my Mom when she was 12. My Mom was the youngest of 3 kids so when I asked her if she was really 12 when my Mom was born she and my Mom had a good laugh over it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I still feel like an alterna-grunge art-school kid.

I feel like most of us feel like we are still our inner teenager. Most of us are just more rational and less impulsive. The workplace is just high school with pay.

Sort of related: I am peeved that my BF accidentally mixed my legit early '90s Nirvana T-shirt with a bunch of his old ones that he gave to a young whippersnapper of a coworker! On the bright side, that whippersnapper does love Nirvana, at least (though he probably categorizes them as classic rock, haha!).

On 1/18/2018 at 5:31 PM, Mountainair said:

Today's peeve: Snow Days! 

We live in the mountains, it snows, it melts, it re freezes- I get it. My kids go to a year- round school so they had the week before Thanksgiving off all the way through the first of the year. In January they have gone to school on average about two days per week (this week was one day). It's not that I mind the kids being home- I try to keep a schedule as best I can and we implement home learning blocks through out the day but I also have a one year old and it's a struggle to find balance. I've been in a holiday funk since Christmas and couldn't wait to get everyone back in their routines but these snow days make it impossible! 

Have you considered home schooling?  You can set the curriculum based on each child’s learning style, set hours (younger children tend to need 2 to 3 hours daily whil middle and high schoolers about 4 -5 hours daily).  The fact that you have set up learning sessions for them is a form of home schooling in itself.

At least now with a real paycheck and without a daily list of pricy art supplies to buy, I can afford all the trimmings of the "alternative" (haha!) lifestyle instead of having to decide on either a tub of Manic Panic and that super-cool vintage grandma coat from Salvation Army...or a ticket to Ween or the Ramones with my friends! And I still am blown away by the fact that if I want a tattoo, I just make an appointment and get one; back then, it was like a long-term goal for which I'd have to toil for months and months! Sure, OK, I might be a bit "immature" for a chick exiting her mid-40s, but what good is aging if you can't do exactly what you want?!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1