Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by JTMacc99,

Your pet peeves are your pet peeves, and you should feel free to express them here. This topic is not to be used to say you are peeved by another member of this community or something they said, either in this topic, or somewhere else in the forums. Additionally, please take ALL language related peeves (word usage, regional sayings, punctuation...) to the Grammar topic.

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

if your niece is actually a collector of rooster things

She's not though and that is why everyone gets her rooster themed gifts (or at least cards and calendars). 

Her brother won Christmas by making a faux coffee table book about roosters.  It looked really good and real, but when you opened the cover it was actually a box contain another book she really wanted.  He's artsy in a big way so he totally could pull it off. 

My family, self included, might be easily amused.

• Love 6

I am aware that politics talk is not allowed, but I don't think I am crossing that line when I say that the peeve I am having right now is certain people totally misusing the term "special snowflake" on Facebook to describe certain other people who are not even engaging in the behavior that "special snowflake" is intended to describe.

• Love 5

Peeve - over enthusiastic posters.  No one here, of course!!  I've had to remove some shows from my homepage because it's just too much.   This is Us has had, what, 12 episodes?  Yet there are at least 25 topics on the This Is Us forum, analyzing every last detail.  I just want to see what other people think of last night's episode.   I don't need to see every time I come on this site that there is yet another new post.  Same with Nashville.  

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Quof said:

Peeve - over enthusiastic posters.  No one here, of course!!  I've had to remove some shows from my homepage because it's just too much.   This is Us has had, what, 12 episodes?  Yet there are at least 25 topics on the This Is Us forum, analyzing every last detail.  I just want to see what other people think of last night's episode.   I don't need to see every time I come on this site that there is yet another new post.  Same with Nashville.  

Heh. Some shows generate a lot of discussion, I guess. I can see how that can bug.

I remember the Veronica Mars forum back in the TWOP days. An hour after an episode aired, there would already be 5 pages of comments.

On 1/31/2017 at 1:37 PM, DeLurker said:

She's not though and that is why everyone gets her rooster themed gifts (or at least cards and calendars). 

Her brother won Christmas by making a faux coffee table book about roosters.  It looked really good and real, but when you opened the cover it was actually a box contain another book she really wanted.  He's artsy in a big way so he totally could pull it off. 

My family, self included, might be easily amused.

Your family sounds really creative.  

Edited by topanga
48 minutes ago, Quof said:

I hear you.  It's why I had to stop reading Game of Thrones stuff here. Back in the TWoP days though, I am 100% I was a willing participant in some of that activity. I think original recipe The Apprentice for the first couple seasons was like that, and for sure The Sopranos. I loved going over every bit of The Sopranos.

The forum peeve I have is the relentless negative posts about a certain character. Every single episode, the person has to talk about what happened in the episode, and also throws in the jab at that character.  Special Snowflake gets used a lot by this group.  Even when the targeted character did nothing wrong in the episode, the poster still has to throw in a "[Special Snowflake] wasn't too terrible this week."  Because God forbid we could go a week without letting everybody know you don't like that character.

• Love 3
On 1/18/2017 at 9:36 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I don't mean to hijack (or quote myself, haha!) but I wanted to add a quick note that the cat is now recovering at the animal shelter after a visit to the local vet. He still has a few issues to be dealt with and is not 100%, but he is on the mend. The fundraiser yielded about half the amount that was posted, and a few of my friends did end up making donations* or at least sharing the info on FB.

* My peeve exponentially multiplied at one point though, I have to admit. After so much radio silence with the fundraiser link, I posted a photo of a T-shirt revamp I did. While it was pretty cool if I say so myself, it got about 40 "Like" thumbs and a bunch of comments in the course of two hours. Meanwhile, it took four posts about the cat over the course of a weekend to earn less than a quarter the amount of acknowledgment of the stupid, dumb shirt. So, I'm still a bit discouraged by that. But the cat, as of now, is doing OK.

Yet again quoting myself in an update:

Bad news: the cat from my previous peeve posts passed away this morning. I guess he was just too far gone for any treatments. Last week, I met him and he was just skin and bones but so, so sweet--he just wanted love and petting, which I was fortunate enough able to give, even just for a little while. I might need a break, man.

• Love 8

Amazon signed an agreement with our state today to start charging sales tax. That isn't my peeve because I don't shop online to avoid taxes, but because the local stores don't have what I want usually. Or I am shipping a gift, and it's easier than buying something, boxing it up and mailing it myself.

My peeve is the people who are now mad about another new tax. Never mind that we haven't had any new taxes in a while, so where this another is coming from, I don't know. But regardless, it's not a new tax. It's a better collection method for the tax we are supposed to be paying already. We are supposed to pay a use tax on online purchases, but because you have to keep receipts and figure and report it yourself, almost no one does. Some probably don't because they don't want to pay the tax. Many don't because they don't know they are supposed to. (I don't know how they don't know.) I think a lot don't pay because it's a hassle. So now it's easier.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 4

I find the whole thing a colossal pain, so I just make a (conservative) guess of how much I've spent on the internet during the previous year and let them figure out how much that will add to my taxes. It's usually not that much, so I'm fine with it.

Edited by riley702
21 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

The forum peeve I have is the relentless negative posts about a certain character. Every single episode, the person has to talk about what happened in the episode, and also throws in the jab at that character.  Special Snowflake gets used a lot by this group.  Even when the targeted character did nothing wrong in the episode, the poster still has to throw in a "[Special Snowflake] wasn't too terrible this week."  Because God forbid we could go a week without letting everybody know you don't like that character.

Mine is exactly the opposite* - someone who fixates on one character and cannot tolerate that the rest of the internet does not share their vie.  Everything that character does is the absolute bestest and noblest.  Should someone dare say something the slightest bit negative, you get an indignant response fully explaining why your are wrong as if their sacred mission is to defend this fictional characters honor and name from besmirching.   

* I tend to drop out of a forum pretty quickly if there's too much dog-piling.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

* I tend to drop out of a forum pretty quickly if there's too much dog-piling.

Me too. For example, I love Gotham and, as such, have never even set foot into a single thread (though nerd that I am, I would love to talk about the art direction of that grimy-gorgeous show!); I learned my lesson from The Walking Dead forum (however, I still wander in sometimes).

I think I mainly stay away from the forums for the fictional dramas that I like (too much "backseat showrunning" and bitching over not being spoon-fed the exact story they've got in their heads). The ones for reality shows--competitions and otherwise--don't get under my skin so much.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
On 2/2/2017 at 11:52 AM, JTMacc99 said:

The forum peeve I have is the relentless negative posts about a certain character.

On 2/2/2017 at 10:56 AM, Quof said:

Peeve - over enthusiastic posters.

9 hours ago, DeLurker said:

someone who fixates on one character and cannot tolerate that the rest of the internet does not share their view.

I'm always willing to expand and deepen the peevishness, so I'll say I dislike forum dog-piling, over-praising, being off-topic, rampant bashing, intense scrutinizing, mocking children, AND excessive posting!

I therefore tend to avoid any discussion forums/comment sections that get more than 50 or so posts per episode because there are bound to be contingents and factions. I just don't care enough about any show to wade through that. I'm a total cellar dweller.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 4
On 2/3/2017 at 9:45 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I think I mainly stay away from the forums for the fictional dramas that I like (too much "backseat showrunning" and bitching over not being spoon-fed the exact story they've got in their heads). The ones for reality shows--competitions and otherwise--don't get under my skin so much.

I wish I didn't agree - but I do for just the same reason. I also post mostly in the reality show threads. I think the scripted show thread I have posted in the most is Zoo - which is so awful that giggling about it in the forums is an integral part of my enjoyment of the show itself.   Funny you should mention Gotham because that's a show I really love even though most of my friends who otherwise watch all the TV comic book shows do not.  

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2
On 2/3/2017 at 7:45 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I watch only a couple of scripted TV shows, and don't generally enjoy the forums on those much.  An awful lot of it seems to be complaints about traits the writers give to a given character that the poster feels don't put the character in a great light, or something.  Like the teenage boy on Black-ish--people complain that he's too much of a nerd, or that the family is mean to him.  I just think, "It's a fictional character.  Who gives a shit?"

Of course, that attitude probably explains why there are only a couple of scripted TV shows I watch.

Now, reality TV shows?  I'm blessed to follow ones that generally don't have any fans here on PTV--just haterz with good sentence construction skills and a gift for snark. 

I do remember a while back running across a forum somewhere for The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, and there were comments about how cute Jon looked during his interview with so-and-so, and it kind of gave me the creeps.

• Love 4

I sincerely don't understand why every time I embark on a home improvement project its like I've entered a world gone mad where I'm the only sane person and by the end of it I'm a raving lunatic.

This was today's adventure in a mad, mad, mad, mad world:

I find a line of lighting fixtures I like and there are enough types to replace everything in the house (which has been a pain in the ass to find).  But the online reviews all complain about the shade color being different in person.  So I head to a store that is a dealer of the brand, intending to check the color and buy them there if its ok (I'd rather pay a little more at a store to avoid the hassle of online returns if something goes wrong...because I get amnesia about what its like to deal with people who work in any field related to home improvement, I guess).

So I walk the store, looking for any light in that brand/collection.  I see a couple that I think might be the one, but nothing on the tag indicates the brand or collection (this should have been my first clue).

So I find a sales person and tell her the collection and brand.  She says she can't find anything unless I have the SKU number.  I worked in retail as a teenager just like almost everyone else in the world; and never in my life did I tell a customer that I can't find a product for them because they didn't have the SKU number.  I proceed to wave distractedly at the computer asking why she can't look it up on the computer or on the website because it was their website I found the light on.  She proceeds to tell me that the store and the website of the same name are different companies (keep in mind that the website has a virtual tour of the store) and I need the SKU number.  At this point, I pull out my phone and find it dead and no help in bridging the fucked up inventory procedures at this store.  So, I leave in the huff.

I sit in the car for a few minutes and decide that this store can't possibly be incapable of finding their own merchandise.  Because that is insane. And I'm already all the way out here...so I go back in and ask for the manager (I did warn you that I devolve into raging lunatic by the end of this story).  I explain to the manager that I know the brand and collection and tell him that there must be a way to figure out if they carry it.  He proceeds with the same spiel about the SKU number. 

I don't blame the employees for the idiotic inventory procedures.  I'm sure its some ill conceived countermeasure against customers looking at a light in the store and then buying it online somewhere else.  But I have a problem with the employees acting like its perfectly normal that they don't know the brands and collections they sell or barring that can't look it up.  That drives me to lunatic diva tantrum as I leave the store.  I really have exhausted my patience and sense of shame when it comes to home improvement projects.

• Love 5

That is when I'd start drafting a letter to the store explaining that that is the exact reason I would no longer be shopping in that store and would do all my shopping online with that store's competitor.

• Love 1

I'd start drafting a letter 

A letter????? On paper?????  Bwa ha ha ha...  Maybe in the last century.

That's what Facebook and Twitter are for, instantaneous feedback.  

30 minutes ago, auntlada said:

That is when I'd start drafting a letter to the store explaining that that is the exact reason I would no longer be shopping in that store and would do all my shopping online with that store's competitor.

I sent an email, but since I already talked to the manager I doubt it will do any good.  So then I did one better and sent another email to the manufacturer that they are a dealer for and explained that they might be concerned that one of the few dealers they have in the area can't identify any of their products for shoppers looking to buy them.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, Quof said:

A letter????? On paper?????  Bwa ha ha ha...  Maybe in the last century.

That's what Facebook and Twitter are for, instantaneous feedback.  

Would do that, too, but I still believe they take people who write actual letters seriously. Those people are committed to their course of action.

• Love 6

True.  I can only extrapolate that it's the same in business, but I know with elected officials and the way constituent response is tallied and weighted, letters are at the top of the food chain -- those people put forth the most effort, and thus felt the most strongly about the opinion being expressed.

Social media response does rank higher than responses with a similar level of effort, though, because it's something seen by others in addition to the recipient.  So if you use social media (I don't, so I'm "do as I say, not as I do" here), it would be a good idea to do both.  But not to skip the letter in favor of social media only.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

Cant get the spoiler boxes off. Sorry

Big peeve. The ads -- "you wont believe what so and so looks like now!" She was 3 yrs old and on Bewitched and now she's older and looks older OH MY GOD THE HORROR!!! People get old and don't look 3 anymore sheesh

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Big peeve. The ads -- "you wont believe what so and so looks like now!" She was 3 yrs old and on Bewitched and now she's older and looks older OH MY GOD THE HORROR!!! People get old and don't look 3 anymore sheesh

To quote the late, great Carrie Fisher:  Years of living longer makes you look worse.  Who knew?

• Love 7

I am tired of going to the trouble of bringing homemade food to parties and having it go uneaten while others just bring a box of whatever's on sale at the supermarket.  I know I make awesome baked goods but people would rather have cupcakes out of a box.

What is wrong with people????

• Love 8

I once got talked into participating in an office Christmas cookie exchange.  I made really expensive, time consuming cookies with real butter, good chocolate (as Ina would say), and nuts. You know, a treat one would like to have for the holidays.  Others brought banana bread and rice crispy treats. The hell?  I don't even make that crap when there are no other sweets in the house and I'm jonesing for some sugar.  

I once went to an "international" themed dinner party.   Others brought Caesar salad from a kit, store bought pizza and take out Chinese food.  I brought German chocolate cake, made from scratch.

Edited by Quof
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Qoass said:

I am tired of going to the trouble of bringing homemade food to parties and having it go uneaten while others just bring a box of whatever's on sale at the supermarket.  I know I make awesome baked goods but people would rather have cupcakes out of a box.

I cook at home almost all the time, but would be too intimidated to cook or bake for anything other than a family get-together.  Next time buy a box of Velveeta and a can of Rotel.  Or one of the scary jumbo cans of nacho cheese on the bottom shelf at the grocery.

And you and @Quof can send your homemade treats to me - I will gladly appreciate them!

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Qoass said:

22 minutes ago, Quof said:

I once got talked into participating in an office Christmas cookie exchange.  I made really expensive, time consuming cookies with real butter, good chocolate (as Ina would say), and nuts. You know, a treat one would like to have for the holidays.  Others brought banana bread and rice crispy treats. The hell?  I don't even make that crap when there are no other sweets in the house and I'm jonesing for some sugar.  

I once went to an "international" themed dinner party.   Others brought Caesar salad from a kit, store bought pizza and take out Chinese food.  I brought German chocolate cake, made from scratch.

Are both of you North American? I ask because most Americans (and possibly Canadians) eat like crap, and that's the food they're (we're) familiar with. So when given a choice, many will pick the preservative-filled, chemical-laden store bought cupcakes or "homemade" Rice Krispies treats over a beautiful dish made from scratch. And to be honest, when I see homemade items at an office party, I only eat them if I know the people who brought them, and I feel comfortable with their sanitary habits. Because some people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom or before handling food, and their kitchens are probably germ-filled cesspools. 

But I'm with DeLurker: Send me your homemade treats! I'll gladly eat them. 

• Love 4

I know you're right, @topanga.  But just so you know, I am scrupulous about cleanliness when cooking for others.  Or I was.  I don't think I'm going to let myself be disappointed this way again soon.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 2

I'm Canadian.  Yeah, we eat like crap.  A friend took her kids to volunteer at a food bank one Christmas.  The boy was packing boxes and said "Aw, Chips Ahoy. They're lucky.  Why don't we get Chips Ahoy?"   "Because I make you cookies from scratch" was the reply.  I would like to think adults have more developed taste buds than that 8 year old.  But they don't. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Qoass said:

I have to bring food to parties all the time just to make sure I have something I can eat with my booze. I try to bring the vegan versions of only the typical stuff people like at parties -- spinach dip, various spreads for crackers, these muffin-tin mac & "cheeses," etc. Usually it's fine, but once in a while it causes like a damn inquisition as to what's in it (perfectly reasonable question), followed by why, how, where, who, sometimes expressed with complete incredulousness (or even mild revulsion), like I'm trying to play a trick on them or something and make them eat gross things. And sometimes, ironically, I'll even get "But what DO you eeeeeeeeeat then?" Uhhh, well, this stuff that you just saw me carry in, for example?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

I never have this problem.  The stuff I make gets eaten first, if the other options are pre-packaged/grocery store stuff.  If other people baked things, then it's more even.  Whether at a dinner party, backyard party or office party.  The only people I know who don't eat the homemade stuff are true germaphobes - they don't shake hands, carry all kinds of disinfectants with them, if you cough anywhere near their desk, even if just due to a tickle or food in wrong pipe, they clean their whole desk, etc.  

• Love 5

At an office potluck once they sent around a sign up list so people could pick something to bring.  On of the analysts chose cookies and brought them in.  All the women raved when he said he baked them - you'd think he made souffle they made such a fuss.  And reassured him that they were "crisp" not burned.  It helped that he was single & good looking.

Technically, he did bake them but it was a roll of the Nestle Chocolate Chip cookie dough that he baked.  I called him on it (in private) since I knew that taste (since back then those were the only cookies I had time to bake).

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 5

I think grocery cupcakes/cake is disgusting--the icing is way too sweet and the neon colors make me suspicious. I go for homemade treats anytime. There's a man at work who makes peanut butter balls and brings them to every potluck we have. People go crazy for them. They really are great.

• Love 5

I'm not sure if this is a peeve per se or a rant , but I think it can fall in the peeve category. My boyfriend has an adult nephew who has a girlfriend who hates me for reasons unknown to me except I'm white and they're Latino. she clearly wants me out of the picture. Anyway..... she finds fault with me for everything.. For one example,  she comments on the carpet andthat I don't  know how to vacuum. etc

I go to a  lot of trouble to cook homemade dinners and invite them to eat with us. She acts like the food is inedible even when I cook Mexican food and use my bf's mom's recipe. Long story short,  I got irritated so I hatched a plan. I know she loves KFC food so I bought some and put it in bowls as if I had made it and sure enough... she "hated " it. the chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, .....why? because the idiot American woman (me) "cant cook." Well. "it's KFC bitch".

And footnote my bf loves my food . The nephew is a sweet guy. Cant stand his gf so I've had enough of her insulting me in my own home. rude

Edited by ari333
  • Love 9

I go to a  lot of trouble to cook homemade dinners and invite them to eat with us. She acts like the food is inedible even when I cook Mexican food and use my bf's mom's recipe. Long story short,  I got irritated so I hatched a plan. I know she loves KFC food so I bought some and put it in bowls as if I had made it and sure enough... she "hated " it. the chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, .....why? because the idiot American woman (me) "cant cook." Well. "it's KFC

What did she do when she found out it was KFC?

I certainly would not be extending any future invites to her; I'd see the nephew alone.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

What did she do when she found out it was KFC?

I certainly would not be extending any future invites to her; I'd see the nephew alone.

She didn't believe it. I had saved the cartons/boxes bc I anticipated her reaction. I know it sounds crazy, but I had just hadenough. I complained to my bf about her and he kind of thought I was being silly (and perhaps I was IDK) .

Here's one. They stayed with us for a short time while their apt was being fixed for them to move in. When she thought I was asleep she'd blast the stereo so loud it shook the walls.  I was already awake in my room but it was annoying. Clearly the point was to wake me. One day I had left early to do errands and left my bf asleep. She thought he was gone and that it was me in there asleep so she did her typical stereo blast.  He cameout of the room asking "What the hell?"  She said, "Sorry. I thought it was (myname here) who was sleeping" So he got it after that.

She's always telling my bf that he canget someone younger, thinner and not white. Well. shebetter watch what she wishes for bc she aint all that and if the uncle (my bf) gets a new hot woman , the nephew  might follow suit. She's trying hard to get rid of me and it is damn irritating. He is the only family my bf has here.  I made an effort with her but I've had enough.

• Love 7

I'm usually the one who ends up bringing the store-bought food items to pot-lucks because I can't cook whatsoever. Bringing something "homemade" for me is maybe a pre-bagged salad with included dressing/toppings that I simply pour into a bowl and mix together.

Otherwise, I'm usually that person who either drags in a bucket of KFC, a lovely Whole Food Pizza or store-bought cake/cookies; and in my experience, that bucket of chicken is almost always a big hit!!

Which brings me to a similar pet-peeve: I HATE pot-luck's. 

Sorry to hurt any feelings here, but I think they almost *always* end up making the hosts look cheap and lazy. Yes, I know many younger folks have to host parties that way due to expenses, but I'm fairly old-fashioned when it comes to my own party hosting: if I'm hosting you in my home, I plan on feeding you and quenching your thirst well with food/drinks we've chosen that will please our guests. My husband and I gladly save up to host our parties with a nice spread for everyone and we have an amazing time every time. Yes it can get expensive, but why even bother having a big party if you can't really afford it? 

Not gonna lie, but I shudder when I get a party invite that says something to the effect of "Bring a covered dish."

And the worst offenders are those folks who even go so far as to say, "Bring a covered dish AND BYOB." Oh hell no---you mean as a host the only thing you're providing to your guests is you and your house?! Nope, maybe save up for a decent party budget before your next event, because my invite will be going into the trash where in belongs. That sounds a bit snooty, but if I'm gonna enjoy my own food and booze I might as well just stay home, not gussy up and drag myself across town just to see folks I normally host in my own home.

• Love 11