Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

My Mom had a progressive hearing disease she didn't learn about until her 40's. There were tones she couldn't hear like fire alarms and most phone ringers. If the fire alarm wouldn't stop going off she would always be the one to go hit it with a magazine because she could stand near it and not feel like her ears were going to explode.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, auntlada said:

Is that why a server will fill the tea glasses of everyone at the table except me? I'd think it was just a bad server, but it has happened a lot to me, even when my glass is the emptiest one at the table and there are only two or three of us.

That reminds me!   Back in the day when hubby and I would go out for a leisurely breakfast,  he liked having A cup of coffee, while I liked having several.   I remember always telling him to please drink his coffee so that I could get a refill.   When my cup was empty, no big deal.  But if HIS cup was empty, the server was right there giving us refills.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, backformore said:

That reminds me!   Back in the day when hubby and I would go out for a leisurely breakfast,  he liked having A cup of coffee, while I liked having several.   I remember always telling him to please drink his coffee so that I could get a refill.   When my cup was empty, no big deal.  But if HIS cup was empty, the server was right there giving us refills.

Just swap cups, and then swap them back!

• Love 4
On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 2:40 PM, bilgistic said:

My 35-year-old male boss hears nothing I say. It could be because he's too busy staring at his own reflection, though.

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 2:41 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

Gee, it's not every day you encounter someone who's actually deafened by their own beauty.

He can't hear over the tinkling sound of his bishie sparkles. The glare might prevent him from being able to read email too.

Even with that link, I had to look up "bishie". I got "Short for bishounen, translated roughly meaning"pretty boy." Used for attractive male anime characters, and sometimes real life. Generally they are sort of girlish looking. Generally used by rabid anime fans who can't spell bishounen so they shorten it." 

• Love 1

If I am laying down and using my cell to text or cruise the internet, my cat MUST sit on my neck/shoulder.  He'd prefer to put his butt in the crook of my neck, but I push him away before that can happen.

If I am laying down and reading or doing sudoku, he just gets on my stomach or legs for a nap.

• Love 2

One of my biggest pet peeves are people who perhaps for the very first time in their lives find a relatively large sum of money pass through their hands and without giving it much thought,  they concoct a very stupid story that supports their stealing the money and they then expect to get away with it.

Here is a good example that is really very sad. I could be mistaken about my claim this "theft" was so very likely staged and was not the theft as described. Take a look and see what you think?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/01/20/scarborough-teachers-grieving-family-faces-more-loss-after-money-for-funeral-stolen.html

I just couldn't believe that anyone would expect the police to believe they would drive into a public shopping mall and leave a briefcase full of thousands of dollars in their trunk and then return a few minutes later to find the briefcase and cash was stolen out of the trunk.

I could go into much detail and explanation as to why this story seems so patently false and why it seems the father or some other friend or family member was responsible for stealing the money. But how often do people leave thousands of dollars in cash in their car and leave it for just a few minutes in a public place only to return a few minutes later and find the cash had been stolen?

If the situation wasn't so tragic, I would have consider this story to just be laughable. I would wager that within a few weeks, we will see a follow-up story where the father (or another family member) is arrested and charged with fraud or making a false police report or something similar.

Am I being too hard on this poor man? Or is this really a highly unlikely event?

Why?

1) When a car is broken into and something is stolen, that something is almost always something in the passenger compartment and almost never something from the trunk.

2) If something is stolen, the odds that it will contain thousands of dollars in cash is just very close to zero.

3) If someone parks a car in a public shopping mall during daylight hours, how likely is it that someone will break into the trunk to steal something in full view of the surrounding public? Again ...... very close to zero.

4) I think there are likely more reasons but I just can't think of any now.

Edited by LauraAnders
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, DeLurker said:

If I am laying down and using my cell to text or cruise the internet, my cat MUST sit on my neck/shoulder.  He'd prefer to put his butt in the crook of my neck, but I push him away before that can happen.

If I am laying down and reading or doing sudoku, he just gets on my stomach or legs for a nap.

A butt in the face is a compliment of the highest order, or so the cat who regularly stuck his butt in my face told me.  Sir Robin must love you!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, LauraAnders said:

Here is a good example that is really very sad. I could be mistaken about my claim this "theft" was so very likely staged and was not the theft as described. Take a look and see what you think?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/01/20/scarborough-teachers-grieving-family-faces-more-loss-after-money-for-funeral-stolen.html

I just couldn't believe that anyone would expect the police to believe they would drive into a public shopping mall and leave a briefcase full of thousands of dollars in their trunk and then return a few minutes later to find the briefcase and cash was stolen out of the trunk

I agree with you - it's suspicious.   But the additional detail form the link is that the guy had his WALLET, credit cards, jewelry,  and passport taken from the trunk as well.   Sorry - if you park your car to buy lunch, you leave your wallet in your trunk, with ALL of your valuables? 

• Love 3

But I love him too, although I don't find the need to use my butt to express it.

This pic is from about a year ago. I was lounging around in bed, relaxing,  when my cat suddenly decided to sit like this. Didn't budge a bit the whole time I was awkwardly fidgeting to take a photo. Nothing like cat butt being rubbed all over your cheek. Like any good pet parent, I let her stay there until her "moment" was over and then furiously washed my face. Cats SMH

unnamed.jpg

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, backformore said:

I agree with you - it's suspicious.   But the additional detail form the link is that the guy had his WALLET, credit cards, jewelry,  and passport taken from the trunk as well.   Sorry - if you park your car to buy lunch, you leave your wallet in your trunk, with ALL of your valuables? 

My guess is that someone figured it would make him appear more truthful. I'm not sure about the jewelry, but it's really not much of a problem to have all those other things replaced. I sent an email to the newspaper reporter who wrote that story so, if it does turn out that he is arrested, she will probably write a follow-up story.

So many people think the police are stupid. But they're not. After all, they have the experience of hundreds or thousands of criminals who try to fool them. They've seen all the tricks many times. It's stupid to think one can get away with a crime that was just conceived without much thought.

Edited by LauraAnders
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

This pic is from about a year ago. I was lounging around in bed, relaxing,  when my cat suddenly decided to sit like this. Didn't budge a bit the whole time I was awkwardly fidgeting to take a photo. Nothing like cat butt being rubbed all over your cheek. Like any good pet parent, I let her stay there until her "moment" was over and then furiously washed my face. Cats SMH

unnamed.jpg

Aw, she's great! She has the same coloring as my childhood kitty. She looooooves you! :D

• Love 1

If I may offer a suggestion how to parallel park, my Dad taught me to drive and he explained that if you just imagine where the rear tires are and then "aim" them for the path you want them to follow, it becomes real easy.

It took me 3 tries to get used to that and ever since, I find parallel parking just as easy as driving in a forward gear. I don't know how much that might help any of you. But I sure do hope that it will help.

Edited by LauraAnders
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My new car has a back-up screen with guidance lines. I cannot get used to it, don't trust it and as a result am getting a lot of shit from my friends about not using it.

Mine too, which is how I discovered that some people can't imagine living without it, and other people hate it. And I understand your point. It's different trusting a camera when you can just turn around and look.

I kind of like it. But I've always had an issue backing up because the vision in my right eye is broken. So when I turn my head to look out the rear window, I need to be like an owl and turn my head 135 degrees backwards. I am really good with the Mirror's though. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My new car has a back-up screen with guidance lines. I cannot get used to it, don't trust it and as a result am getting a lot of shit from my friends about not using it.

I'm fairly certain that if you were driving somewhere and your friend was sitting in the passenger seat and your friend started telling you how to drive, you would tell them (politely of course) to shut the X up! (where X stands for whatever you feel comfortable with).

I would like to suggest to you that you handle getting shit from your friends in much the same way. When I am you are driving and someone starts telling me what to do and what not to do, I think it is entirely correct to stop the car and invite that someone to step out and step away and avoid returning to the car. I would polietly tell them to just go away and to not come back.

Why? First of all, it's dangerous as all get out! Second of all, anyone who would do such a thing, needs a very good lesson in actions and consequences. Please invite them to come to this thread and read what I have to say in the following "hidden text box".

Spoiler

HEY! What's the matter with you? You want to cause an accident? You have no respect for your friend? You think that you know better than everyone else does? Shame! Shame! Shame!

Shame on you! You are behaving very dangerously and very badly. Think it over and then apologize to your friend. If you do this kind of thing again, you will soon find yourself unhappy and friendless as well. Tis a very inconsiderate think ye be doing!

Edited by LauraAnders
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, LauraAnders said:

I'm fairly certain that if you were driving somewhere and your friend was sitting in the passenger seat and your friend started telling you how to drive, you would tell them (politely of course) to shut the X up! (where X stands for whatever you feel comfortable with).

I would like to suggest to you that you handle getting shit from your friends in much the same way. When I am you are driving and someone starts telling me what to do and what not to do, I think it is entirely correct to stop the car and invite that someone to step out and step away and avoid returning to the car. I would polietly tell them to just go away and to not come back.

Why? First of all, it's dangerous as all get out! Second of all, anyone who would do such a thing, needs a very good lesson in actions and consequences. Please invite them to come to this thread and read what I have to say in the following "hidden text box".

Hide contents

HEY! What's the matter with you? You want to cause an accident? You have no respect for your friend? You think that you know better than everyone else does? Shame! Shame! Shame!

Shame on you! You are behaving very dangerously and very badly. Think it over and then apologize to your friend. If you do this kind of thing again, you will soon find yourself unhappy and friendless as well. Tis a very inconsiderate thing ye be doing!

LauraAnders,

You've brought up a MAJOR pet peeve of mine- folks 'advising' while one is driving! Sorry, but I REALLY have to focus on the road. Do NOT dis how I'm driving, point out stuff on sidewalks or rehash old arguments. If you must do ANY of these things, PLEASE WAIT until I've finished driving you from Point A to Point B for the safety of your car ride if for no other reason!

And folks wonder why I AVOID giving rides to other folks whenever possible.

• Love 3

I apologize if I gave the impression that they were back-seat driving or telling me what to do. It's more along the lines of they don't know how they lived without theirs, forgetting they too had a transition period. It's a lot less dramatic than it seems.

My car doesn't have a back-up camera, but my mom's does.  At first, whenever I would drive hers, I was convinced that camera was not accurate, that I was actually closer to things than it looked, and if I relied on it I would run over something.  One day, I had it over at my house with some free time on my hands, and I set up an experiment with my rubbish bins (something I wouldn't mind running into at very slow speed) and damn if that thing wasn't completely accurate.  (I always trusted the one in their motorhome, so I have no idea why I was so skeptical of this one.)

So I don't care about having or not having a back-up camera, but what I hate is a car with limited visibility so that a back-up camera is necessary to properly see.  I want to see a lot of windows when I turn my head.

A friend got a new car last year, with a back-up camera that has those lines on it.  She has no idea what they stand for (the side ones are obvious, but I think there are two lines showing behind the car that she's unsure of - something like that).  I said, "Um, read the manual" -- she's had the car a good eight months now and has still never bothered. 

• Love 1

"Cause" for "because" in writing. Seriously, I hate, hate, hate it. In actual conversation, OK, whatever. In writing, it makes me madder than a hot bone*! I am OK with 'cause, as it indicates a deliberate conversational style (and knowledge of how apostrophes work!) but stuff like "I don't watch that show anymore cause it's boring" is just so awful; it reads like a five-year-old who doesn't know any better. And if it's in a minion meme, it's exponentially worse.

* I do not know where my friend got that phrase, but the first time I heard him say it, I laughed for about an hour!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
On 1/22/2017 at 10:18 AM, LauraAnders said:

In my case, that X would stand for "smoke," as in "shut the smoke up!"

Backseat drivers are the worst!!! And though I love him to death otherwise, my husband is the biggest backseat driver I've ever met, so it's always been a stressful experience whenever I'm giving him a ride. Because I'm a bit of a fast driver, you can imagine how well our longer drives go; we're pretty much biting each other's heads off by the end of these excursions. In my defense, he's the type of person who even tells cabs and Lyft/Uber drivers where to go and how to drive. 

One day it got so bad that I stopped the car at a roadside gas station and told him to get out---he got out and grabbed a soda in shock, I circled the block and cooled off and picked him up in 5 minutes. He's been *much* better ever since then, and now we like to laugh to friends about how I've kicked people out of my car for being annoying backseat drivers, so watch out. ;)

• Love 4

I had gotten in touch with an old high school acquaintance when he'd found me on Facebook. When he found out I was going to the home town for the weekend, he cadged a ride. I should have said no. He creeped me out with skeevy remarks almost immediately. So I made an excuse to stop at a gas station, told him I was uncomfortable with him staying in the car while I went inside, and then quickly ducked back out to the car and left him there. Not my proudest moment, but he wasn't that far from home... Then I went home and blocked him on FB.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sun-Bun said:

Backseat drivers are the worst!!! And though I love him to death otherwise, my husband is the biggest backseat driver I've ever met, so it's always been a stressful experience whenever I'm giving him a ride. Because I'm a bit of a fast driver, you can imagine how well our longer drives go; we're pretty much biting each other's heads off by the end of these excursions. In my defense, he's the type of person who even tells cabs and Lyft/Uber drivers where to go and how to drive. 

One day it got so bad that I stopped the car at a roadside gas station and told him to get out---he got out and grabbed a soda in shock, I circled the block and cooled off and picked him up in 5 minutes. He's been *much* better ever since then, and now we like to laugh to friends about how I've kicked people out of my car for being annoying backseat drivers, so watch out. ;)

So anyone else ever pull over to the side of the rode and lecture your Mother out over backseat driving while a teenager?  Just me?

• Love 1

My father used to threaten to pull over or turn around and go back home. We counted on that happening at least once before we got to the next town 6 miles away. We weren't backseat driving, though. We were just three kids in the back seat of a sedan.

He often said, "Do you want to drive?" He quit doing that after one time when I was in college, he said that, and I said, "Yes. Pull over." He did, and I drove, but he never asked again.

He almost always drove too fast, missed the exit unless it was somewhere he'd been a lot and generally got lost a lot. And he refused to stop to ask for directions.

• Love 3

In our family, if someone asked if we were going to eat right at 7, someone else would have said yes. And then we would have had an argument about it, but more than likely no one would be made. We just enjoyed arguing. The trick, of course, is knowing when to stop.

The best no-directions story was when we were all going somewhere (I don't remember where, and it's not important), and everyone kept telling Dad how to get there. Finally, he yelled, "I know where I'm going! Stop telling me what to do!" Then we pulled up to a four-way stop. He stopped, looked around and said, "Which way do I go?"

• Love 3
11 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

"Cause" for "because" in writing. Seriously, I hate, hate, hate it. In actual conversation, OK, whatever. In writing, it makes me madder than a hot bone*! I am OK with 'cause, as it indicates a deliberate conversational style (and knowledge of how apostrophes work!) but stuff like "I don't watch that show anymore cause it's boring" is just so awful; it reads like a five-year-old who doesn't know any better. And if it's in a minion meme, it's exponentially worse.

* I do not know where my friend got that phrase, but the first time I heard him say it, I laughed for about an hour!

Even worse is when "cuz" or "cos" is used in place of "because". I've seen it on closed captioning. That is never okay. Even if someone is speaking, it should be "'cause".

I'm fun at parties.

• Love 1

Oddly enough, I'm not that mad at those examples (that said, I sure don't love 'em either). But I think "cos" or "coz" might be a UK thing? Don't yell at me if it isn't, everyone--I am not sure where I how I heard or read that, but I think I did. And "cuz" is so deliberately phonetic/shorthand that I assume that the people using it are fully aware that it's not real while "cause" makes me think people are just dumb. Yes, that's kind of mean of me, I know. But, ugh, I am actually feeling mean today! Wanna know why?

• Water bill has more than doubled since the last one and the water people insist it's not their meters or estimates (and that would be quite an estimate) even though we have been doing nothing different and can find no leaks! I don't know what else I can do! I feel like they want us to just say, "Well, OK, then--we'll have to pay that from now on, I guess!" NO.
• I have damn jury duty tomorrow at 8 in shit-ass weather in which I have to use a highway that is a nightmare always. And the court's inclement weather message will not be posted until after I have to leave here in order to get there on time. Come on!
• I'm going to miss my favorite shelter cat and I feel guilty for (A) not being able to adopt him myself and (B) for being somewhat sad about his new home when I should be 100% happy about it!
• My BF said, "Gimme a minute and we'll watch Gotham." And 45 minutes later, he's still poking his big old boyfriend nose around on a phone! (OK, this is silly and I am probably just being pissy!)
• People at work are incapable of replying to pertinent messages. And if they do, they do not address what's in them!

Oooooh, and I can't even get drunk because I have to get up at the crack of ass tomorrow! Man, I'm all sorts of damn aggro today. 

• Love 5
On 1/22/2017 at 10:18 AM, LauraAnders said:

Reveal hidden contents

Shame on you! You are behaving very dangerously and very badly. Think it over and then apologize to your friend. If you do this kind of thing again, you will soon find yourself unhappy and friendless as well. Tis a very inconsiderate think ye be doing!

So true. That's almost as bad as a person  (usually a stranger) who stands on the sidewalk while I'm parallel parking and tells me when to cut my wheel. Usually I want to tell them to STFU, but admittedly, it does come in handy sometimes--like when I'm trying to fit into a tiny space and my visibility is compromised for some reason. 

But I hate driving advice. I never trust it. Like when I'm turning left, and there are two lanes of oncoming traffic. If there's a car or truck stopped on the other side (because that car also needs to make a left) and I can't see the outside lane, sometimes the driver in the turning lane will wave me to turn left. I always ignore the wave and just wait for that car or truck to turn and get out of my sight line. I'm sure it pisses some people off, but sorry. Unless you're a police officer or a crossing guard, I just can't trust your word that the coast is clear. 

On 1/20/2017 at 7:10 PM, LauraAnders said:

I just couldn't believe that anyone would expect the police to believe they would drive into a public shopping mall and leave a briefcase full of thousands of dollars in their trunk and then return a few minutes later to find the briefcase and cash was stolen out of the trunk.

It's sad if it's true. But who pays for a funeral in cash? The guy says his son died of complications from appendicitis. But were they in the Mafia? Is he a drug dealer? Why does he have $13,000 in cash in a briefcase?? At the very least, if the guy only had cash and needed to pay the church, funeral home, etc., he could have gotten cashier's checks from a bank. 

On 1/20/2017 at 11:53 PM, backformore said:

I'm bad about leaving valuables in my car. Sometimes if I'm running into Dunkin Donuts or 7-Eleven, I'll take just the cash I'll need and leave my purse hidden in my (locked) car. Still pretty stupid, and this article is a reminder of why I shouldn't do it. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, topanga said:

But I hate driving advice. I never trust it. Like when I'm turning left, and there are two lanes of oncoming traffic. If there's a car or truck stopped on the other side (because that car also needs to make a left) and I can't see the outside lane, sometimes the driver in the turning lane will wave me to turn left. I always ignore the wave and just wait for that car or truck to turn and get out of my sight line. I'm sure it pisses some people off, but sorry. Unless you're a police officer or a crossing guard, I just can't trust your word that the coast is clear.

Not that you want to be hit, but it depends on when you turn as to whether or not you have the right-of-way. At least here in Indiana. I was a juror on a civil case where a woman t-boned a guy, flipping his work vehicle. She then sued him for turning in front of her, claiming whiplash and back injuries (her back problems were well-documented from at least 5 years prior to the accident). A semi had stopped and waved him to turn onto an access road because he (the semi) was nearly to a red light and couldn't go anyway. The lady suing had been behind the semi, but decided to roar around him because she was in a hurry and turning right at the red light. And she had to have floored it, to hit him hard enough to flip him. Turns out, once you begin your turn, you then have the right-of-way over oncoming traffic to complete your turn. So we rejected her suit. Including the husband asking for compensatory damages because his wife was now a bitch. Heh. And yes, he really did say it that way. I suspect that was also pre-existing prior to the accident. Nice try, buddy.

Edited by riley702
clarity
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, topanga said:

I'm bad about leaving valuables in my car. Sometimes if I'm running into Dunkin Donuts or 7-Eleven, I'll take just the cash I'll need and leave my purse hidden in my (locked) car. Still pretty stupid, and this article is a reminder of why I shouldn't do it. 

Right - leaving it in the car - but you wouldn't take our purse or wallet, walk around to the back of your car and put them in your TRUNK.

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:25 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I'm with you, and I'll add using "bias"  instead of "biased", and prejudice instead of prejudiced.  I see it online, people writing, "maybe I'm prejudice, but...."  You can't actually BE prejudice. 

• Love 1

I'm with you, and I'll add using "bias"  instead of "biased", and prejudice instead of prejudiced.  I see it online, people writing, "maybe I'm prejudice, but...."  You can't actually BE prejudice. 

There are so many things I see lately that make me wonder when they "happened" -- has it always been so bad or is social media simply making me notice it now whereas I would not have 15 years ago? Particularly turning two words into one -- "atleast," "bestfriend," "moreso," "eachother"...

• Love 2
8 hours ago, topanga said:

It's sad if it's true. But who pays for a funeral in cash? The guy says his son died of complications from appendicitis. But were they in the Mafia? Is he a drug dealer? Why does he have $13,000 in cash in a briefcase?? At the very least, if the guy only had cash and needed to pay the church, funeral home, etc., he could have gotten cashier's checks from a bank. 

I thought about that too.  The only thing I could come up with was that the school he worked for took up a collection for the funeral.  That creates a possibility that someone knew he had the money and it wasn't random.  But you'd think the article would have mentioned something like that.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, backformore said:

Right - leaving it in the car - but you wouldn't take our purse or wallet, walk around to the back of your car and put them in your TRUNK.

I have put my purse in the trunk before when I didn't want to carry it but needed it for part of a trip, but I do it before I get to wherever I'm going so no one sees me putting it in the trunk and thinks, "Hey, that woman left her purse in the trunk. I can break in and steal it." I never have thousands of dollars in cash in a briefcase (or any other container), however. Someone stealing my purse would be lucky to find $5.

• Love 3

I've been know, while sitting in the passenger seat, to literally put my foot down, and kept pressing imaginary pedal, when riding with someone who drives with aggressive acceleration and brake. I hate that style of driving, I much prefer a smooth one, I never complain but apparently my foot is more expressive than I knew. 

• Love 4

One of my brothers noticed that I hold my upper body pretty loose when I am a passenger and so does another one of my brothers.  He called us "amoeba passengers" because when he stops sharp or accelerates quickly, we kind of flop around.  It seems to work out better for me that way with an aggressive driver.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DeLurker said:

He called us "amoeba passengers" because when he stops sharp or accelerates quickly, we kind of flop around.

Ha!

3 hours ago, NutMeg said:

I never complain but apparently my foot is more expressive than I knew. 

I have a friend at work who has this hanging in her cube. "I apologize for the words my face is saying."

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I have a friend at work who has this hanging in her cube. "I apologize for the words my face is saying."

I once got a traffic ticket in the mail from an automatic camera and my driving face was horrifying.

• Love 6

I hate those damn "rain" shower heads.  It's like taking a shower with a water pistol and it never feels like all the soap is out of my hair.  If you want to give me rain in my shower then make it a downpour.

• Love 12

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:21 PM, backformore said:

I know this isn't the main point but I REALLY hate it when folks start out something by saying 'I'm not prejudiced BUT. .." it's virtually impossible for me to think of a single time in which whatever phrase following it didn't show that the speaker WAS prejudiced. Seriously, if you don't want others to consider you a bigot then don't make bigoted statements.

• Love 13

You guys, I am heading to the animal shelter after work today with a bag of presents for my favorite cat, who has found a new home. My peeve is with myself: why am I so sad? This is the goal, and he deserves it! But I'm so going to cry. I just wish I could have adopted him; I fell in love the day he showed up there.

In a weird bit of coincidence, today is also the eighth anniversary of my "soulmate" cat's passing. Maybe I am having peeve (and tear)-inducing associations.

• Love 8

When we were fostering labs it was only a matter of time when one wasn't going to leave my home. One guy wasn't very good with the housebreaking, one was just a teenager and needed training, and then Danny showed up and from day one it was "uh oh".

They're just so easy to fall in love with when you get to know them. They ask so little yet give so much. I'm know it's hard to see him get that permanent home, but that's really cool that you're sending him off with presents. 

• Love 6

@TattleTeeny - I'm kinda sniffling for you from this side of the interweb.  But knowing how special you thought he was is probably going to be encouraging for his new family to know.  There's usually some adjustment concerns and knowing that his foster really got to know him and love him will help if a rough patch comes up.

As someone who adopted a cat from a rescue almost a year ago, I put a lot of faith in her assertion he was a real sweetie, but was really freaked out by going to the adoption events so no one ever got to see that side of him.  So thank you for fostering and caring so much about them.

• Love 3

You just reminded me of the print ad that I read when I adopted another cat a long time ago (as evidenced by "print ad"!). That rescue lady told me -- by way of a first-person account "by" the cat -- she came from a hoarder house and "no one wants me because I have only one good eye" and that she was very sweet. NOPE to that last part! She was an absolute feral horror who spat! It was such lies. But I loved her and kept her and eventually she came around to being a real-deal lap-cat who was a sweetie.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

Funny you guys mention pets, because in addition to people being weirded out/judgmental towards my decision not to have kids, I've also received similar reactions to not having pets. The implication is that I'm a selfish, shallow person who lives a hollow life because I don't have an animal to take care of. 

Wow, first of all, fuck anyone who thinks this. You don't know me or my life, and how dare you insult my character with utterly scant evidence.

Second, just as having kids does not automatically make you a great, or even good, person, the same goes for having pets. I know people who are awful pet owners; their pets just exist in the background until they die of old age and give the owners an excuse to have a day off from work. Their pets aren't part of the family, they're just props with vital signs.

I don't want the responsibility of having a pet, mainly because I know I'm not up to the task. I think that makes a me a damn good person, because no animal is suffering on my watch.

• Love 10