Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

When I was younger (too old now) , and the fact I chose not to have children came up, people with kids would say "You'll change your mind." I would smile and say "so will you."

• Love 5

I know this is such a common pet peeve, but I think I'm getting more and more irritated about it.  Can people not take a step anymore without their phone against the side of their head?  I work with a woman who I see drive up every day talking on her phone.  She gets out (still on the phone) and walks into the building, up the stairs and into her office, still on her phone.  She terminates the call while she gets her workday started, but she does continue to be on her phone a lot all day.  At 5pm, she does the whole on-the-phone-while-walking thing, only in reverse from her office to her car.  Unless you have sick relatives that you need to keep in touch with constantly or you are a surgeon on-call (and there are probably a couple of professions that fit), you really don't need to be talking to someone every minute of every day.  I get so tired of walking through a store trying to get around someone who is moseying along on their phone saying things like 'oh, nothing much, Sue--I'm just walking around Wal-Mart'.  Why would Sue care?  Why would anyone care? 

Okay I'm done for now.  I'm going to go chase some young whippersnappers off my front lawn (if I can find my cane).

• Love 8
(edited)

Re: people walking in the road/jaywalking, a couple evenings ago, I was driving out of my work building's garage, from which one must either make an immediate left or right turn; the exit/entance is in an alleyway. As soon as I turned to the right, I nearly hit a group of four kids (I call them kids--they were probably late teens/early 20s) that are sauntering in the center of the alley just outside of the garage exit. I hit my brakes so they could continue their leisurely walk. One girl hollers, "Hit me!" The lone boy--with a grill in his mouth, which makes me hate humanity--yells mockingly, "Ohhh, hit me! I'll sue your ass!"

First, don't walk in the path of traffic where drivers can't see you until you are about to be hit. Second, don't yell at me after you do that or I will yell back and use grownup words. Third, don't do it after I've worked 10 hours. Fourth, good luck "suing" me. I've got a 10-year-old Civic and two cats to my name.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2
(edited)

On the subject of people crossing roads, I really wish if I'm in the car waiting these people would have the consideration to get their asses in gear and pick up the damned pace. When I'm crossing and a car is waiting I speed up.

Another one is motorcyclists. I know we're all supposed to WATCH OUT FOR BIKERS. I know this because I see all those bumper stickers. But my experience has been that I see a lot more asshole bikers driving like maniacs and putting the rest of us in danger than I ever do cars. It's always those assholes on crotch rockets that are weaving in and out of traffic at full speed to get ahead while the rest of us are legally stopped at lights. It's always crotch rocket jackasses that are speeding and roaring by at about twenty miles over the speed limit. It's always the same assholes along with regular bikers who are revving their stupid engines at lights. Overcompensate much??  I've got no problem with bikers who bike safely, but I see far too many endangering lives and flaunting the law to really give a rat's ass about watching out for them except to keep my own self safe. Yeah, big pet peeve for me.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 2

I saw a couple of foolhardy motorcyclists this week during "rush hour" (which is really three hours twice a day where I live). I was so afraid for them. I get the appeal and generally even think biker dudes are hot, but I've been on a motorcycle in traffic exactly once, and thought I was going to die. I kept focusing upon how close my legs were to the pavement.

• Love 1

I agree that motorcyclists who weave in and out of heavy traffic is a pet peeve of mine, too.  Also people in cars who tailgate until they can zoom around you at unsafe speeds (while I'm driving at about 4 miles over the limit), just so I can catch up with them at the next traffic light.  What did they actually accomplish except to endanger everyone on the road?  I guess it's a psychological thing.

Speaking of weaving motorcycles, I was once travelling along an interstate in fairly heavy traffic, considering that I was between towns/cities.  There was a guy on a motorcycle that had been weaving in and out for miles--I had seen him doing this for a while.  He finally managed to tailgate and make his way out of my sight.  The heavy traffic finally kind of spread out and I continued on my way.  A few miles up the road I saw that the guy on the motorcycle had been pulled over and an officer (state trooper?) was writing a ticket.  I think this was the first time I had ever seen someone who was speeding or weaving actually get pulled over.  It made my day.

• Love 2
(edited)

Another one is motorcyclists. I know we're all supposed to WATCH OUT FOR BIKERS. I know this because I see all those bumper stickers. But my experience has been that I see a lot more asshole bikers driving like maniacs and putting the rest of us in danger than I ever do cars.

I feel the same way about bicyclists. Whenever I see one of those Facebook posts about watching out for bicyclists (I have one good friend who posts them constantly), I always want to say that I'll watch out for bicyclists as soon as they start obeying the rules of the road (and that if they want to ride in the lane of the road, they ought to be going the speed of traffic -- if they can't pedal at 40 mph, ride on the side).

We live in a university town, though, so we get a lot of students who ride bikes, and they often don't even stop at stop signs. They feel they are pedestrians, I think, even when they aren't riding on the sidewalks. That's another pet peeve, actually: people who ride their bikes on sidewalks. It's allowed here, but if they do, then at crosswalks, they're supposed to get off their bikes and walk them across the street. Otherwise, for crying out loud, stop at the stop sign so I don't run over you.

On the subject of pedestrians and college students, I'm all the time yelling at them from the car (where they can't here) to quit sauntering. On campus, they have the right of way no matter where they are. I don't know which is worse, the ones who saunter out in front of anyone anywhere or the ones who hesitate so you don't know what they're doing, even though they are at a crosswalk and ought to go.

ETA: I also hate it when everyone posts happy birthday or Mother's Day (or whatever) stuff on Facebook, but just because then I look like I hate my mother or friends or whatever because I make it a policy not to post that stuff on Facebook. I call my mother on Mother's Day, and if I'm close enough friends with people to say happy birthday, I tell them in person or send an email. (I never send cards. I'm horrible about actually mailing things. Thank God for paying bills on the Internet.) And then on my birthday, I have to remember to tell people thank you for telling me happy birthday, even though most of them would never do anything if it weren't for Facebook. Most wouldn't even know if Facebook didn't tell them or if they didn't see other people saying happy birthday.

I'll come join you chasing the whippersnappers, BooksRule.

Edited by auntlada
  • Love 4

I made it a general policy to stop sending greeting cards several years ago, except to people like my octagenarian grandmother. I get that cards make you smile for a second, but then? They are trash. As a crazed environmentalist, I don't want to put more garbage out there. I'll call you on your birthday.

• Love 3

If I can find a really funny card (I don't do sweet/sappy cards), I'll get one for my parents on their birthdays, Christmas, and Mother's/Father's Day because I know they like getting cards.  But I've gone through just about all the good ones by now, so they rarely get one anymore.  And for Christmas, there are a few people to whom I send cards because they don't have email, we're not close enough that I want to make a phone call, and they'd be a little hurt by not hearing anything from me at the holidays.

Otherwise, I email or call (depending on how close we are) people to wish them well on holidays, because I find cards to be a waste.

I keep the cards I get, but I never get many, so it's not an issue for me.

Once when driving back from Houston, there was a motorcycle gang/club? of about 25 riding ten miles below the limit. They were taking up both lanes. At one point, a car got inbetween the bikers. That didn't go well. I ended up stopping to get something to eat. I didn't want to deal with it. They seemed really intimidating. It was strange, and I was very uncomfortable.

I keep the cards I get, but I never get many, so it's not an issue for me.

Once when driving back from Houston, there was a motorcycle gang/club? of about 25 riding ten miles below the limit. They were taking up both lanes. At one point, a car got inbetween the bikers. That didn't go well. I ended up stopping to get something to eat. I didn't want to deal with it. They seemed really intimidating. It was strange, and I was very uncomfortable.

When I come across people like that on the road, or people who I'm not sure about their capabilities at the moment -- if they are weaving a bit or speeding up and slowing down -- I pick a speed that will keep me well behind them, even if I'm going under the speed limit, because I'd rather stay safely behind them then get in front of them where they can hit me. Or try to pass them where they can shoot at me. (I might watch too many fictional crime shows.)

• Love 2
The official DeLurker term for this is postalcrastination.

Well that's a term that I will definitely be adopting. It is not only an excellent word but it's something I suffer from as well.

I just read on FB that "smol" is a new (?) slang word meaning....small?

Has anyone else heard this? I don't understand why this would be popular if it even is popular. Is it a blending of small and any other word?

Not picking on "postalcrastinate" I promise! That's cute and actually means something. Smol I don't understand. Is it simply small misspelled? Feel free to enlighten me if I'm missing something.

I googled 'smol' and according to the Urban Dictionary, one meaning of the word is 'smiling out loud' (kind of like LOL).  I'd never heard of it before either, and have no idea if there are other meanings.

• Love 1
(edited)

I know I'm an old lady (I'm 40) because these words that kids make up piss me off. My 36-year-old sister often uses them, and that pisses me off even more. "Fleek" is one such word that I HATE. I don't know why something so dumb irritates me so much.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3

I never heard that one and had to google it. It doesn't make sense to me (I'm old, too). At least when we make up words in our family, they make sense (to me, anyway). For instance, when we say, "I'm snorky," we mean my nose is congested. (According to urban dictionary, there are other meanings to snorky, but none I'm familiar with.) We use that because it's what you sound like when you're congested and snorty. I read the explanation of how some kid came up with "fleek," and I still don't get it. A made-up word should sound like what it is, to me, like galumph. Lewis Carroll (I think) made it up. It sounds like what it is. Also, it's a fun word to say. Galumphing.

I do like postalcrastination. I'm going to have to remember it. I seriously suffer from it.

• Love 3

Seriously hate bagging my groceries.  The worst to me is having tons of groceries choosing a check out line specifically because there is a bagger who ends up leaving right when it's your turn!

I like to watch to make sure things ring up right hey I am a single girl on a budget.  I do though bag my own groceries even though I hate it.

my newest pet peeve is work related.  A lot of jobs now require that you have open availability or you can not be fulltime.   Why?  So you can't go to school? Volunteer? Improve your life?

• Love 1
I know I'm an old lady (I'm 40) because these words that kids make up piss me off. My 36-year-old sister often uses them, and that pisses me off even more. "Fleek" is one such word that I HATE. I don't know why something so dumb irritates me so much.

Paraphrasing something a friend once told me: Every generation manages to find new ways to talk stupid and dress like clowns.

• Love 6
(edited)

my newest pet peeve is work related. A lot of jobs now require that you have open availability or you can not be fulltime. Why? So you can't go to school? Volunteer? Improve your life?

They want you to be available all the time to work for them at their whim. This is the "new economy". My mother's work was NEVER like this. Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5

Paraphrasing something a friend once told me: Every generation manages to find new ways to talk stupid and dress like clowns.

When I was in high school in the early 2000s, I completely thought the style was just "normal" clothes. I completely thought we had no specific/discernible style...just things like tees, jeans, and sundresses. Boy was I wrong. There are fun buzzfeed.com articles that have examples of the style- platform sandals, toe rings, wide leg jeans, etc. It amuses me now, and then I wonder what I'll think of my personal style in ten years.

coughIweartoeringsandflaredjeanscough[/quote

Sorry! I meant it's just neat to see that there was a style. I still have some of my old clothes and wear flared jeans too! I never liked toe rings, but that's mostly a comfort thing.

Eh, I'm not bothered by what's "in style". I just like what I like.

I had a pair of ankle boots that finally gave up the ghost this past winter, and I went to find more like them--simple design, small platform, chunky heel--and the clerk basically laughed at me and told me to look on eBay. I laughed along with her when I realized I'd had the boots for at least 16 years.

For the love of all that is holy, get off your damn phone when you are participating in a transaction! I've worked in several types of retail over the years and I can't stand it! When you are at the counter to pay for items/make a deposit/check out books/etc., DO NOT answer your phone! Give your full attention to the PERSON who is assisting you! Do not make me interrupt you to tell you your total, ask for your signature, etc. I've stopped being polite about it, which means I get dirty looks. Yes, how dare I talk to you in order to do my job that you came up to me wanting me to do!

• Love 9

I googled 'smol' and according to the Urban Dictionary, one meaning of the word is 'smiling out loud' (kind of like LOL).  I'd never heard of it before either, and have no idea if there are other meanings.

Thanks for doing the legwork for us, but why is that a thing?  You can literally laugh out loud, but you can't smile out loud (literally, figuratively, metaphorically, ...)? 

I had a pair of ankle boots that finally gave up the ghost this past winter, and I went to find more like them--simple design, small platform, chunky heel--and the clerk basically laughed at me and told me to look on eBay. I laughed along with her when I realized I'd had the boots for at least 16 years.

First, let me announce my decades old envy of women who could wear ankle boots (or any kinds of boots).  Not a look I could ever pull off.

And how sad when something that has never gone out of fashion for us would be considered "retro".  Think we've all been there.

For the love of all that is holy, get off your damn phone when you are participating in a transaction! I've worked in several types of retail over the years and I can't stand it! When you are at the counter to pay for items/make a deposit/check out books/etc., DO NOT answer your phone! Give your full attention to the PERSON who is assisting you! Do not make me interrupt you to tell you your total, ask for your signature, etc. I've stopped being polite about it, which means I get dirty looks. Yes, how dare I talk to you in order to do my job that you came up to me wanting me to do!

Probably 10 years ago, I was stopping at a Starbucks on my way to work.  My cell rang just as I was walking in so I went back out the door to have my conversation because of the noise inside.  When I came back in to place my order, the first thing the cashier did was thank me for taking my call outside.  He said so many people continue their calls, mouthing their orders to them and basically making their process a nightmare while usually just chitchatting about nothing in particular.

I'm don't think the baristas would do anything bad to your order if you continued your call, but I know I got a ton of extras and upgrades at that location whenever "my guy" was working.

• Love 1

As the recipient of many calls I have to say that I don't like it when the person on the line is busy ordering food/drinks. I always tell them you seem busy, let's talk later, and I cringe when they say No, was just ordering food. If you want to discuss business issues, wait until you're there for me 100%. My friends thankfully know not to do that to me, ever. 

• Love 2
Thanks for doing the legwork for us, but why is that a thing?  You can literally laugh out loud, but you can't smile out loud (literally, figuratively, metaphorically, ...)?
This is dumb, but it actually makes sense to me.  I think most of the time when someone says "lol," they're not literally laughing, so "smol" more accurately describes the situation, and the "ol" gets stuck on there the way "ohol" remains when you say "workoholic," even after the "alcohol" part is done away with.  I've actually never seen this, but it seems a whole lot less annoying than seeing someone tack " *grin* " on there.  I don't see that very often, but I really can't stand it.
  • Love 1

First, let me announce my decades old envy of women who could wear ankle boots (or any kinds of boots).  Not a look I could ever pull off.

I say "ankle", but I mean lower calf. That isn't a thing, though. I always wore them with pants covering them, NEVER with skirts (because I don't wear skirts/dresses).

I've seen "smol" exactly once (last week), and it was in place of "small" not "smile out loud". It was accompanying a picture of a tiny kitten, and the caption read "he smol". I'm pretty sure it was just a cutesy way of writing "small" in the sort of lolcats vein of intentional misspelling for effect. It didn't bother me any probably because I'm used to that sort of thing by now. 

• Love 1

This is dumb, but it actually makes sense to me.  I think most of the time when someone says "lol," they're not literally laughing, so "smol" more accurately describes the situation, and the "ol" gets stuck on there the way "ohol" remains when you say "workoholic," even after the "alcohol" part is done away with.  I've actually never seen this, but it seems a whole lot less annoying than seeing someone tack " *grin* " on there.  I don't see that very often, but I really can't stand it.

But workaholic is spelled with an 'a', not an 'o.'  Or am I being too logical/over thinking this?

(edited)

My grammar pet peeve is the word 'supposably".  

I get that it's a mash-up of supposedly and probably,

I did not know that.  I've heard it said, but I don't think I'd ever seen it written before, and I always thought people were just screwing up the word "supposedly" -- I didn't know it could be intentional.  (My "learn something new everyday" tidbit for today, I guess.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

"Supposably" originated with Joey on Friends, thinking it was actually the correct word.   I have never heard anyone use it as a mash-up, just as a joking reference to Friends. 

(edited)

Supposably didn't originate with Friends. It was just referenced there because it is (and already was at that time) a fairly common mistake. And the reference was Chandler saying that he was going to change his ways and no longer break up with women for petty reasons...such as because they pronounce it "supposably". But you're right that Joey thought that's how it was pronounced. [Here ends my demonstration that I know too much about Friends.]

Anyway, I can't say that I've never heard anyone use it as some sort of portmanteau because when people say it I can't read their minds, but I'm pretty sure when people do say it's usually just a mistake. There is a word "supposably", but it's very uncommon and doesn't mean the same thing as supposedly (and doesn't mean some combination of "supposedly" and "probably"), so if people are saying "supposably" in a context when "supposedly" makes sense they are just saying it wrong.

Edited by smrou
  • Love 4

A new pet peeve: If you are at work and asking random questions about stuff you see on the Internet (like, which state has the most highways or other stupid things like that) and no one answers you, shut up! Everyone else is busy working. If you don't have something to do, pretend to work, but shut up.

• Love 2

I never heard that one and had to google it. It doesn't make sense to me (I'm old, too). At least when we make up words in our family, they make sense (to me, anyway). For instance, when we say, "I'm snorky," we mean my nose is congested. (According to urban dictionary, there are other meanings to snorky, but none I'm familiar with.) We use that because it's what you sound like when you're congested and snorty. I read the explanation of how some kid came up with "fleek," and I still don't get it. A made-up word should sound like what it is, to me, like galumph. Lewis Carroll (I think) made it up. It sounds like what it is. Also, it's a fun word to say. Galumphing.

I do like postalcrastination. I'm going to have to remember it. I seriously suffer from it.

We say our stomachs are "ooncy" when we feel nauseous. I actually stole that from I Love Lucy though.

, I always want to say that I'll watch out for bicyclists as soon as they start obeying the rules of the road

Exactly! I was going to include bicyclists but figured my rant was long enough. Just like motorcyclists, I see so many FLOUTING (thank you whoever corrected me, lol) the law and endangering us law-abiding citizens that I really think it should be illegal to ride on the road.

Seriously hate bagging my groceries.  The worst to me is having tons of groceries choosing a check out line specifically because there is a bagger who ends up leaving right when it's your turn!

I think if they can't bother to hire enough baggers then I should get a discount for bagging my own groceries. As well as a discount for using self-checkout. Am I soon going to have to stock the shelves or unload trucks too??

• Love 6

Hopefully big grocery stores won't become obsolete with online ordering. Maybe we'll just have markets again. That wouldn't be awful in many ways, but of course you can't see the product in person and you have to wait for non-perishables.

• Love 1

Amen.  It's always annoying when people assume something is interesting to you just because it is to them, and thus feel free to drone on about it constantly

Part of friendship is listening, even when you don’t particularly care about what’s being discussed – the person talking to you does care, and you care about them, so that's part of the deal.  My friend who doesn’t have pets doesn’t tune out when I tell her my cat is sick or something else important.  But the flip side is I don’t regale her with Maddie's typical antics, because I know she’s not interested and I have plenty of other people who are; that's my part of the deal.

True. But I get annoyed when I ask a co-worker "How's your kid?," and she (it's usually a she) whips out her smart phone and says , "You want to see a picture/video/Vine" of my kid? No, I don't. In the interest of being social, I was asking for a very brief summary of school, sports, hobbies, or your kid's health. In the words of Billy Crystal, "I WAS BEING NICE!"

• Love 3

Maybe part of it for me is that I don't work and don't go out often socially. I try to assess someone's interest about my pregnancy. I'm sure I don't always get it right, but for any topic, I try very hard now to not stay on it for too long. Say something or answer a question in a sentence or two. Then keep doing that if more questions arise and try to ask a question back.

I don't like interacting socially. It's just a constant struggle. Even if twenty conversations go well, the next could doom the relationship.

• Love 3

True. But I get annoyed when I ask a co-worker "How's your kid?," and she (it's usually a she) whips out her smart phone and says , "You want to see a picture/video/Vine" of my kid? No, I don't. In the interest of being social, I was asking for a very brief summary of school, sports, hobbies, or your kid's health. In the words of Billy Crystal, "I WAS BEING NICE!"

You need to use these questions as distractions when you need to change the subject.  I don't mind someone yammering on about whatnot if I know that I deliberately baited them into the topic specifically to avoid something else.

A lot of times, I am genuinely interested in someone else's kid/garden/whatnot so I don't mind their tales.  I'm pretty good about extracting myself if I am not in the mood or too busy.

• Love 1

This evening, while I was still at work and he was at home "on Daddy duty", my boss sent me a picture of his three-year-old son standing on their patio, leaning back and peeing into the landscaped playground area (the photo was of the boy's clothed back and his shirt covered his bottom). My reply: "Uhhhh..." His response: "That is parenting, bilgistic." Me: "Your son pisses in a sandbox just like mine does."

I was referring to my cat.

Did I need to tell my boss at some point that I didn't want pictures of his kid pissing?

• Love 6

I KNOW. I hate that he does that; any time he has to be alone with the kids when his wife has a social function (she's a SAHM), he calls it some variation of "Daddy duty". It is nauseating.

• Love 3