Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

• Start Topic

Dear Guy/Girl on the sidewalk talking on the phone on speaker,

GET YOURSELF AN EARPIECE!  I'm pretty sure the person you're talking to doesn't want the world to hear both sides of the conversation!  

Thanks,

THE REST OF THE NEIGHBOURHOOD

• Love 7

Virgin Media - Now I know you guys in North America have never heard of these a'holes, but they provide the UK with internet broadband and 4K TV. But just lately (every 6 months) they ping out an email to their customers to announce yet another price rise!

Their excuse is always the same - "to provide you with the best, fastest and most exclusive entertainment ever!" But the reality is totally different - same old $hit at inflated prices.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, PRgal said:

Dear Guy/Girl on the sidewalk talking on the phone on speaker,

GET YOURSELF AN EARPIECE!  I'm pretty sure the person you're talking to doesn't want the world to hear both sides of the conversation!  

Thanks,

THE REST OF THE NEIGHBOURHOOD

I do not understand people who have no sense of privacy. I don't know if it's because of social media & people are now used to sharing every little thing with the world, but I won't even use voice to call people on my phone, because I don't think it's anybody's business who I'm calling. Having a loud conversation on your phone on speaker in public is beyond me.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Zola said:

Virgin Media - Now I know you guys in North America have never heard of these a'holes, but they provide the UK with internet broadband and 4K TV. But just lately (every 6 months) they ping out an email to their customers to announce yet another price rise!

Their excuse is always the same - "to provide you with the best, fastest and most exclusive entertainment ever!" But the reality is totally different - same old $hit at inflated prices.

Do you ever feel like writing back and saying "I'm fine with the current speed.  No need to increase my price."

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Do you ever feel like writing back and saying "I'm fine with the current speed.  No need to increase my price."

You see your problem is that you speak perfect sense! However, in the real world of Virgin Media this logic doesn't compute: instead they just ramp up the prices whether you like what you already have or not.

2 minutes ago, Zola said:

You see your problem is that you speak perfect sense! However, in the real world of Virgin Media this logic doesn't compute: instead they just ramp up the prices whether you like what you already have or not.

Oh, I know.  We get rate increases here with the same excuses. 

2 hours ago, GaT said:

I do not understand people who have no sense of privacy. I don't know if it's because of social media & people are now used to sharing every little thing with the world, but I won't even use voice to call people on my phone, because I don't think it's anybody's business who I'm calling. Having a loud conversation on your phone on speaker in public is beyond me.

I only use speaker when I'm at home. And since I almost never go anywhere I guess I always use it.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Zola said:

I always thought Cablevision was the worst company in the world, until I moved to Charlotte and started dealing with Time Warner Cable. Being bought out and becoming Spectrum hasn't helped them much. Every year it's the same thing "Thank you for being a loyal customer, we're only going to raise your rate $20 a month..."   I had been paying $210 a month for cable/internet/telephone - even though I don't use the phone, they kept telling me it made the package less expensive. A few weeks ago, I got my latest bill - it went up to $266! I spent an hour and a half on the phone with them, called them criminals, went around in circles over the bill - I rolled off the program I was on, so I went to full rate. It arrived 2 days after my billing period started, and in May they announced they would no longer pro-rate monthly bills if you make a change.

Last Thursday, I called them (a few days before my new billing period starts) and cancelled cable and phone, going to internet-only for $65. I then signed up for YouTube TV at $50 a month. So far, it's been fine, and I'll be saving $150 a month, so I'm happy about that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

Last Thursday, I called them (a few days before my new billing period starts) and cancelled cable and phone, going to internet-only for $65. I then signed up for YouTube TV at $50 a month. So far, it's been fine, and I'll be saving $150 a month, so I'm happy about that.

I had Comcast for internet and DirecTV for TV back east, and as execrable as they could be, at least when I would call them for discounts, they'd inevitably scrounge around and find me one.  Now I'm out west and Cox knows they have no meaningful competition here, so they won't accommodate me.  They jacked up my rates $20/month at the end of the first year and refused to provide any new discounts, helpfully reminding me that at the end of the second year next February, they're going to shoot my rates up by about $100.  So I'm already researching my alternatives.  

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I always thought Cablevision was the worst company in the world, until I moved to Charlotte and started dealing with Time Warner Cable. Being bought out and becoming Spectrum hasn't helped them much. Every year it's the same thing "Thank you for being a loyal customer, we're only going to raise your rate $20 a month..."   I had been paying $210 a month for cable/internet/telephone - even though I don't use the phone, they kept telling me it made the package less expensive. A few weeks ago, I got my latest bill - it went up to $266! I spent an hour and a half on the phone with them, called them criminals, went around in circles over the bill - I rolled off the program I was on, so I went to full rate. It arrived 2 days after my billing period started, and in May they announced they would no longer pro-rate monthly bills if you make a change.

The thing about Virgin Media is that if you threaten to cancel (once your contract is over), they will put you through to their retention's team, and will work out a new deal - usually by reducing your monthly bill by as much as 40 or 50%

But I think they (and other providers) believe in what they call "customer apathy" - in other words despite the price rises most customers just can't be arsed to ring up and tell them where they can shove their extra £20pm! Its only those those that actively do so that make any savings.

Oh, and as for "loyal customers"-  what a crock of shit that is because you still get stung while providers offer sweet deals to newbies.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Zola said:

The thing about Virgin Media is that if you threaten to cancel (once your contract is over), they will put you through to their retention's team, and will work out a new deal - usually by reducing your monthly bill by as much as 40 or 50%

But I think they (and other providers) believe in what they call "customer apathy" - in other words despite the price rises most customers just can't be arsed to ring up and tell them where they can shove their extra £20pm! Its only those those that actively do so that make any savings.

Oh, and as for "loyal customers"-  what a crock of shit that is because you still get stung while providers offer sweet deals to newbies.

Yes!  When I call customer retention, I always remind them how long I've been a loyal customer, and how I deserve a break on my top tier service more than someone who switches providers every year or so.  Then I tell them what their competitor quoted for a similar package,  Works every time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, walnutqueen said:

Yes!  When I call customer retention, I always remind them how long I've been a loyal customer, and how I deserve a break on my top tier service more than someone who switches providers every year or so.  Then I tell them what their competitor quoted for a similar package,  Works every time.

Fro some customers the real hassle is when you change providers (especially for broadband) is that you have to start off with a new modem/router and a whole bunch of new passwords and devices to configure - which is another reason why some people just don't bother to change.

• Love 4

My peeve today is the lady who pulled out in front of me in a 50 mph zone and made me slam the brakes. Then she would only go 38-40 mph. Traffic is bad in my area and I had to follow her for a few miles before I could pass as the left lane was full. Couldn’t she have waited for a break in the flow? #&%* 

• Love 18
58 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

My peeve today is the lady who pulled out in front of me in a 50 mph zone and made me slam the brakes. Then she would only go 38-40 mph. Traffic is bad in my area and I had to follow her for a few miles before I could pass as the left lane was full. Couldn’t she have waited for a break in the flow? #&%* 

All. The. Time.

I often find that person to be somebody who only goes 40 MPH. 

Road is marked 55? 40.

Road drops down to 30 in a residential area? 40.

Stop Sign? 40.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

I have a 45-minute commute (each way!) on a major interstate.  If I'm not ragey about someone tailgating me (dude, there are TWO OTHER LANES that are completely empty!  Pass me already!), or cutting me off, or driving 5-10 mph under the speed limit in the passing lane, it's a glorious day.  Those days are extraordinarily rare.  My blood pressure was actually slightly elevated the last time I went to the doctor directly from work.  It's fine, even a little low, if I get it checked before work.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

All. The. Time.

I often find that person to be somebody who only goes 40 MPH. 

Road is marked 55? 40.

Road drops down to 30 in a residential area? 40.

Stop Sign? 40.

Oh my dude, that's me. I hate going over/under 45 mph. I however, never, ever drive on the freeway and that's only one of the reasons. 

• Love 6

On my little slow excursion due to that driver mentioned above, I ended up at Chico’s. I was getting a gift card for a friend’s birthday. No matter how hard she tried the cards they had wouldn’t accept any monies on them. The other lady who worked there could have cared less. All this while I was watching the lady trying to help me as she was chewing gum with her mouth open (unless it was to make popping noises). I should have stayed home. Nah, but it would have been nice to take a day off reality instead of upping my BP. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh my dude, that's me. I hate going over/under 45 mph. I however, never, ever drive on the freeway and that's only one of the reasons. 

Are you saying you drive 45 mph in residential areas?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

Are you saying you drive 45 mph in residential areas?

And school zones?  And hospital zones?  And main street?

I also hate driving under 45 mph -- but saying that I hate driving under that speed doesn't mean I don't drive according to set speed limits and am unaware of my surroundings. It's not like I'm out plowing down school children or people on gurneys because I'm on a Slurpee run. I just hate driving slow. 

2 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Damn people on gurneys need to get out of my way. Don't they know I'm in a hurry?

You should watch Death Race 2000. They used to wheel people out of their nursing homes to get killed by their favorite drivers. The drivers got points for the deaths. It’s actually a campy movie. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Visited my local library for the first time in a very long time, but despite the "Silence" notices on most of the floors, clearly this didn't register with some people as they carried on their conversations with people around them in normal voice.

In fact there was one guy talking to someone on his mobile -  but on speakerphone ffs! Moreover, because the reception was poor he kept on shouting down the phone rather than just taking it off speakerphone and holding it to his ear.

I despair sometimes, I really do!

Edited by Zola
  • Love 8

I've had a traumatic 18 or so hours. First, it was crazy busy at work in the afternoon (after school and after work hours) and the 62-year-old customer lead (bagger, cart-getter, lottery, etc.) yelled at me when he begrudgingly bagged a huge order for me, and I said things were insane in there and we needed more help. When I tried to talk to him later, telling him it was not okay for him to yell at me, especially in front of a customer (and he was loud enough that the next cashier a lane over heard him), he became extremely hostile and made some very ugly personal attacks ("I don't know what's wrong with you, but you need to get help for it."). I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. I/we feel very unsupported by management, so I don't feel like I'll be heard. As an example, there is one cashier who is perpetually late (like, at 7:30 for a 5pm shift!) and/or no calls/no shows and continues to be allowed to work. I hate my job so much.

Then last night on my way home, there was a doe in the road who had been hit. She was laying but with her head up. I called the police (animal control's voice mail said to call police) and blocked her with my car and kept traffic from hitting her again. One of her back legs was completely broken. She kept trying to get up and would walk/stumble a bit, then fall down. Animal control finally came and got her off the road. I was pretty much a mess because she was so beautiful and obviously in so much pain. I just talked to her (as if she understood me), but didn't get too near her, and told her how sorry I was. I am angry at whoever hit her and didn't call the police. She suffered for a long time.

And I finally went to the doctor this morning, and it turns out that I do indeed have a sinus infection and have been suffering for at least two weeks for no reason but refusal to go to the doctor. I first got sick Wednesday three weeks ago. So now I have to take ten days of meds.

7 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

"You look tired" is up there with "Are you in a bad mood?"

I have RBF that I can't do a damn thing about.  The corners of my mouth turn down naturally, and it's accentuated with age.  I get a lot of, "Cheer up, it can't be that bad."  I got one of those on the first anniversary of my mother's passing.  Years ago, I was passing through a damn toll booth, feeling reasonably good, and the toll booth operator said to me, "Why are you so mean?"  I cried all the way home.

15 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Why are you so mean?"  I cried all the way home.

Sounds like she was giving you an unsolicited opinion. They are like butts. Everyone has one. (I cleaned that up). I’m sorry she hurt your feelings. 

• Love 7

Yesterday two different service people told me I looked tired/asked if I was all right. Thinking charitably, they were just being solicitous, but what were their intentions if I said yes I'm exhausted and would like to lie down? One was giving me a pedicure and the other was putting a new battery* in my car.

I once got an automated speeding ticket for going 29 in a 30 mph zone. (It was school hours, which I hadn't noticed, and the school wasn't even on that street. Hmph.) Anyway, I got the notice in the mail with a photo of me and yikes. I did look like I was driving as part of The Purge or something.

* Standard peeve about that "click" when turning on a car's ignition and the $83 it cost me for a jump start. Digging further back, perhaps opting not to pay the $2.50 premium for roadside assistance was a mistake, even though I had never used it before.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 10/10/2019 at 12:40 PM, bilgistic said:

I've had a traumatic 18 or so hours. First, it was crazy busy at work in the afternoon (after school and after work hours) and the 62-year-old customer lead (bagger, cart-getter, lottery, etc.) yelled at me when he begrudgingly bagged a huge order for me, and I said things were insane in there and we needed more help. When I tried to talk to him later, telling him it was not okay for him to yell at me, especially in front of a customer (and he was loud enough that the next cashier a lane over heard him), he became extremely hostile and made some very ugly personal attacks ("I don't know what's wrong with you, but you need to get help for it."). I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. I/we feel very unsupported by management, so I don't feel like I'll be heard. As an example, there is one cashier who is perpetually late (like, at 7:30 for a 5pm shift!) and/or no calls/no shows and continues to be allowed to work. I hate my job so much.

Then last night on my way home, there was a doe in the road who had been hit. She was laying but with her head up. I called the police (animal control's voice mail said to call police) and blocked her with my car and kept traffic from hitting her again. One of her back legs was completely broken. She kept trying to get up and would walk/stumble a bit, then fall down. Animal control finally came and got her off the road. I was pretty much a mess because she was so beautiful and obviously in so much pain. I just talked to her (as if she understood me), but didn't get too near her, and told her how sorry I was. I am angry at whoever hit her and didn't call the police. She suffered for a long time.

And I finally went to the doctor this morning, and it turns out that I do indeed have a sinus infection and have been suffering for at least two weeks for no reason but refusal to go to the doctor. I first got sick Wednesday three weeks ago. So now I have to take ten days of meds.

What a horrid day, esp finding the doe, suffering after being hit. How could someone be so cruel, leaving her like that? Thanks so much for staying with her & calling animal control. May your kindness to her be returned to you in some helpful way.

• Love 12
On 10/10/2019 at 1:56 PM, peacheslatour said:

Oh, no! Please feel better bilgistic. Are you looking for another job?

I've been actively looking for a career position for a year now. I've discussed the situation in depth in the work thread, so I don't want to derail here. Long story short, I'm still in retail a year after getting back to work after taking a year off from my corporate job. I have been choosy about the jobs to which I apply because I don't want to end up in another bad fit, which I was in before and which caused significant damage to my mental health. However, retail is also a really bad fit, so...yeah.

One day down of antibiotics and so far (knocks wood) no bad side effects. I'm terrified (about having the trots as badly as I did when the foot doc prescribed me Augmentin for a ingrown toenail excision) because my gut does not do well with antibiotics, but the doc said the one she prescribed (Cefdinir) is well tolerated. I think I'll double up on my horrifically expensive probiotic anyway, just in case. I already have IBS so my gut is kind of a delicate dance. And that's your gastrointestinal discussion for the day.

6 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I've been actively looking for a career position for a year now. I've discussed the situation in depth in the work thread, so I don't want to derail here. Long story short, I'm still in retail a year after getting back to work after taking a year off from my corporate job. I have been choosy about the jobs to which I apply because I don't want to end up in another bad fit, which I was in before and which caused significant damage to my mental health. However, retail is also a really bad fit, so...yeah.

One day down of antibiotics and so far (knocks wood) no bad side effects. I'm terrified (about having the trots as badly as I did when the foot doc prescribed me Augmentin for a ingrown toenail excision) because my gut does not do well with antibiotics, but the doc said the one she prescribed (Cefdinir) is well tolerated. I think I'll double up on my horrifically expensive probiotic anyway, just in case. I already have IBS so my gut is kind of a delicate dance. And that's your gastrointestinal discussion for the day.

Good luck with augmentin & cefdnir, the only drugs on my "cannot take!" list. Thank God for probiotics 😊

Oohhh, I'm so allergic to sulfa antibiotics! The one and only time I was on them they caused intense hallucinations. I was convinced there was a man hanging from my bedroom ceiling at 3am and I jumped out of bed and ran face first into the doorframe, giving myself a black eye. Not a fun way to discover you're allergic to something. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

Oohhh, I'm so allergic to sulfa antibiotics! The one and only time I was on them they caused intense hallucinations. I was convinced there was a man hanging from my bedroom ceiling at 3am and I jumped out of bed and ran face first into the doorframe, giving myself a black eye. Not a fun way to discover you're allergic to something. 

Good God almighty! That's horrible. That's a thousand times worse than my nightmare from one drug I took (sinclair??) I was being chased by a gang, ran up to a rowhouse door, pounded & pounded but no one opened the door & I woke up out of breath, terrified. My sister got nightmares from it too. Some drugs do more damage than treat/cure an ailment.

• Love 5

Cefdinir was the antibiotic I took after my wisdom tooth extraction.  I didn't have any bad side effects, other than the fact that it was an uncoated generic pill that was the most bitter thing I ever put in my mouth. I could taste the bitterness all the way down my esophagus, and it made everything I ate taste like brussels sprouts.  I like brussels sprouts, but not when I'm trying to eat mashed potatoes.  It was so weird.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Good God almighty! That's horrible. That's a thousand times worse than my nightmare from one drug I took (sinclair??) I was being chased by a gang, ran up to a rowhouse door, pounded & pounded but no one opened the door & I woke up out of breath, terrified. My sister got nightmares from it too. Some drugs do more damage than treat/cure an ailment.

I got waking nightmares from Chantix. Horrible, not only did it reduce my urge to smoke, it obliterated my urge to live.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I got waking nightmares from Chantix. Horrible, not only did it reduce my urge to smoke, it obliterated my urge to live.

My Mum tried Chantix.  First, she was just sick & puking.  Then, she suddenly became frighteningly suicidal, and it was all I could do to stay on the phone and send the apartment manager to throw away the damned pills and stay with her until the danger passed.  Yeah, I'd rather wait until I'm dying of emphysema before offing myself, thank you very much.  Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my cancer sticks.

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I've seen more than my share of this shit, but today gave me a new one.  Someone actually posted the phrase "I bid you a due".

LMAO, it took me a moment to figure it out. Reminds me of when I kept seeing people using the word "walla" & I couldn't figure out what it meant until I finally realized they were trying to say "voila". I guess French throws people for a loop, but I can't understand how people will just make a guess at how a word is spelled without actually verifying it. If I'm not sure, I Google it to make sure before I post.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, shanndee said:

Is it Oct. 22 yet? I would really love to be able to stop biting my tongue and start talking honestly to some of my family members again...

Defeated sigh. Oh well. It will be here soon.

I have no idea why Oct. 22 is significant to you, but I encourage you to start being honest sooner rather than later.  I tried to mince my words and bit my tongue so hard I'm surprised I still have any taste buds left, back when I was young.  Now I think of all the time I wasted not speaking my mind ...

Yes, some feathers will be ruffled, and some crockery may be broken.  But in the end, if you are in the right and speak your truth, the valuable people in your life will come to accept, Yea, and even sometimes appreciate your candor.

The rest can go fuck themselves.

• Love 8
On 10/11/2019 at 8:12 PM, emma675 said:

Sulfa is the antibiotic I absolutely can never take again. It was given to me when I was about 2 and a half and had a major infection, all while my mother was in the hospital in labor with my younger sister. Full anaphylactic shock, up to and including my kidneys not functioning for three days; my parents were told I would probably die. When I was old enough to understand the situation, my doctor warned me that if I was ever given it again, I would die. So when seeing a new doctor who needs a list of my drug allergies/sensitivities, sulfa is at the top of the list, followed by about three other antibiotics that give me rashes or hallucinations. Fortunately I have very few memories of the experience. 

Hey Guys -- Let's refrain from talking about elections in this forum. Election references, while not against the rules per se, can, however, lead us down the road to talking about politics, politicians, etc. and that's against Primetimer rules. Thanks. Please PM me with any questions.

22 hours ago, GaT said:

LMAO, it took me a moment to figure it out. Reminds me of when I kept seeing people using the word "walla" & I couldn't figure out what it meant until I finally realized they were trying to say "voila". I guess French throws people for a loop, but I can't understand how people will just make a guess at how a word is spelled without actually verifying it. If I'm not sure, I Google it to make sure before I post.

Well, there *is* a funny way of saying voila that my sister picked up in some blog last year:  waa-laa.  We got such a kick out of it that we use it all the time.  

• LOL 2