Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

I'm not disabled but my husband is, and it drives me nuts when people say "handi-capable" or "differently-abled".  I was just at a work seminar for an inclusive work environment and one of the people taking the course with me kept saying differently-abled when talking about disabled people.  My husband prefers to be called disabled (so do a lot of disabled people that I follow on social media).

I also hate the term wheelchair-bound.  My husband is not bound to his wheelchair.  He used a walker when he was a kid, but he says the wheelchair gets him around a lot faster so he got rid of the walker.

Last one (I'm sorry!). My husband told be about this term he heard, which is interabled relationship, which means one person is disabled and the other is able-bodied.  I just say I'm in a relationship, it doesn't need a special name just because my husband uses a wheelchair!

Okay, rant over!

I feel like this is part of the virtue signalling thing coming from various groups.  And they often do it without surveying people from the groups they’re trying not to offend.  

Speaking of ability/disability:  I hate it when people go on and on about their condition.  Guess what?  We know. I have epilepsy and a genetic condition called neurofibromatosis.  I don’t talk about it all the time.  In fact, I don’t think about it too much.  I just live my life.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
Just now, PRgal said:

I feel like this is part of the virtue signalling thing coming from various groups.  And they often do it without surveying people from the groups they’re trying not to offend.  

Speaking of ability/disability:  I hate it when people go on and on about their condition.  Guess what?  We know. I have epilepsy and a genetic condition called neurofibromatosis.  I don’t talk about it all the time.  In fact, I don’t think about it too much.  I just live my life.  

Growing up our motto in my family was "Never explain, never complain." As someone here said, chronic complaining just eats up all the sympathy you have. It reaches a point that you just run out.

• Like 10
6 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Another one for me. When I’m in a training or other meeting and the trainer/leader says, “And if you don’t volunteer I’m going to start calling on people!” It always sounds so condescending to me. We’re adults; this isn’t elementary school. Treat us and teach us like we’re professionals. This is my first week here and the trainer talking down to me is a total turnoff. 

As an attendee, that is annoying. As a trainer, sometimes it is the only way to get engagement. When I held internal training I made it crystal clear if people didn't participate by answering questions I'd call on people and I made sure to call on the people I knew weren't paying attention, or who I knew needed the training the most. 

• Like 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Bookworm 1979 said:

I'm not disabled but my husband is, and it drives me nuts when people say "handi-capable" or "differently-abled".  I was just at a work seminar for an inclusive work environment and one of the people taking the course with me kept saying differently-abled when talking about disabled people.  My husband prefers to be called disabled (so do a lot of disabled people that I follow on social media).

I also hate the term wheelchair-bound.  My husband is not bound to his wheelchair.  He used a walker when he was a kid, but he says the wheelchair gets him around a lot faster so he got rid of the walker.

Last one (I'm sorry!). My husband told be about this term he heard, which is interabled relationship, which means one person is disabled and the other is able-bodied.  I just say I'm in a relationship, it doesn't need a special name just because my husband uses a wheelchair!

Okay, rant over!

Thankfully I've never heard or seen "handi-capable" or "interabled" - they are both just horrendous. 

I think people use "differently abled" because, for whatever reasons, disabled became a politically incorrect and seen as somehow insulting, and there didn't seem to be an alternative.  Being educated by you, someone with first-hand experience, is helpful.  Thanks.

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 1

Most of these phrases & words I've never heard of (booed up, differently-abled, adulting, etc).  The "differently-abled" was probably created by someone afraid of being accused of prejudice against disabled folks. Why are people making up these inane fake words, like adulting? Do they think it's cool?

• Like 3
8 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

3 times made plans with my friend and she cancelled because she got a date…

A former friend did that twice, once cancelled, other time didn't show up. Because a guy she was interested in showed up and she cooked for him. I told her forget the dinners. She said but why not, things might not work out with him. Oh well I said.

• Hugs 6
3 minutes ago, rcc said:

A former friend did that twice, once cancelled, other time didn't show up. Because a guy she was interested in showed up and she cooked for him. I told her forget the dinners. She said but why not, things might not work out with him. Oh well I said.

Did you end the friendship?

• Like 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Did you end the friendship?

Yes. Sitting at the restaurant waiting without a text then leaving disgusted because of no consideration did it for me. We were both newly widowed and she suggested going to dinner on Friday nights.

Edited by rcc
  • Hugs 8
(edited)
19 hours ago, ABay said:

I miss birds so much. I had to take down my feeders because I saw a rat. And was also sick of hearing my neighbor grumbling about bird droppings. My favorite part was when, for the millionth time, he said "but you were here first so I can't say anything." And yet you do. Over and over.

I plan on putting the hummingbird feeders back up when it's time. But, while I love them too, they're not the same as all the other birds as far as visit frequency/steady cat entertainment. But I have been putting peanuts in the shell out on the balcony table, haha! No way for my jerk neighbor to really know about that. And you know what? I may just start putting some bird food directly onto the table too! It would be far less food than before, of course, but there'd be no feeder for anyone to notice from down on the ground or from next door. And I can't stop birds from coming to my balcony "just because."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, rcc said:

Yes. Sitting at the restaurant waiting without a text then leaving disgusted because of no consideration did it for me. We were both newly widowed and she suggested going to dinner on Friday nights.

That was just plain rude. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, rcc said:

I knew girls like that back in high school.  Anything that came up that involved a boy immediately trumped any plan with a girl.  It was rude when a teenager did it, words fail me when it's an adult!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

hy are people making up these inane fake words, like adulting? Do they think it's cool?

Because language and linguistics evolve over time. Shit*, American English evolved from British English. Dude started as a new word for a "well-dressed male" and then evolved to be both gender-neutral and more than one use. Words that don't pick up die a slow death (see: dudette).

From Wikipedia:

In the popular press of the 1880s and 1890s, "dude" was a new word for "dandy"—an "extremely well-dressed male", a man who paid particular importance to his appearance. 

*I didn't even use the word shit "correctly". Evolving language.

image.png.b3f0bf90c5cf56cdb0aee3d8a5615e2c.png

• Like 8
  • LOL 6

This discussion made me curious about the origin if the term "dude ranch." I really never thought about it before now, but I am disproportionately pleased that I was pretty much correct, based on the redhead's post.

• Like 3

Having lived in Los Angeles all my life, I loved that entry on dude.  Yep.

I remember "differently abled" first discussed as an alternative to "disabled" back in the '80s.  But, from what my colleague who has a disability and who practices disability rights law tells me, it's more used by people in the dominant culture, not by those within the community -- people who were well intentioned, but didn't really bother to consult the community they were seeking not to offend.  Many of those with disabilities feel it seeks to put a positive spin on the myriad routine struggles they face in an ableist society. 

(Also, we're all differently abled, so it isn't even a properly specific term for the people it seeks to describe.)

I use "disabled" or "people with disabilities" as my default, and then any different term for a specific person should I learn that's how they'd like to be referred to.

That's really all any of this comes down to when it comes to women, BIPOC, those who are disabled, LGBTQIA, etc. -- pay attention to what the majority within marginalized groups say about proper and improper terms when used by those outside the community (and understand that, like all language, this will evolve over time), adjust our vernacular accordingly, and then allow for individual preferences within those groups; when made aware, simply call people what they want to be called.  It doesn't require spreadsheets, a stellar memory, or any significant effort.

Intent matters, but impact matters more, so when we say something we considered harmless and learn what we meant is not what was understood, we can't just jump to "I didn't mean it like that" and brush it off.

That linked article from the Anti-Defamation League includes reference to something I had missed hearing about, and am glad to know it now -- Last year, Lizzo released a song including the word "spaz", and got called out for using an offensive term.  She said she hadn't realized its derogatory usage, but she did not stop there; she re-released the song without it, announcing:

It's been brought to my attention that there is a harmful word in my new song "GRRRLS".  Let me make one thing clear: I never want to promote derogatory language. As a fat Black woman in America, I've had many hurtful words used against me so I overstand the power words can have (whether intentionally or in my case, unintentionally). I'm proud to say there's a new version of GRRRLS with a lyric change. This is the result of me listening and taking action. As an influential artist I'm dedicated to being part of the change I've been waiting to see in the world.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
On 2/27/2023 at 12:45 PM, Elizabeth Anne said:

Today's peeve: someone coming to my door to make a delivery and talking LOUDLY on their phone as they do it.  I nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard two very loud male voices at my door.  I guess, realistically, home invaders/would be robbers aren't going to announce their presence but still!

I've heard delivery people having extremely loud, profanity-laced arguments on their phone while dropping our stuff off. Fun.

Anyway, my latest peeve is this noxious, pervasive belief that too many people have these days: they seem to think having opinions is special and heroic, and that they themselves are special and heroic for having them. 

Calm down, people. There are no "thought police", the First Amendment is alive and well, you can still have opinions. Voice your opinion until you're blue in the lips for all I care. What you must remember is that opinions are not facts. They are not the truth. You aren't saving lives by throwing your two cents at every little thing. I once had some guy lecture me for 20 minutes because I said I liked the Beatles. Now, he has the right to his opinion... but his opinion isn't sacrosanct, and I have the right to think he's a dumb shithead who could have waited until I was out of earshot to crap on my musical taste.

See? Opinions!

• Like 2
  • Applause 10
(edited)

This is going to sound insane but doing something then trying to remember if you actually did it. This can range from “did I remember to close the garage door” or “did I remember to put on my mask at the library”? Currently going out of my mind with the latter—I know I put it on, I took it with me, but my mind plays tricks on me all the time, making memories seem different than they actually happened.

Please tell me I’m not the only thing this happens to.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 7
  • Hugs 2
Just now, Spartan Girl said:

This is going to sound insane but doing something then trying to remember if you actually did it. This can range from “did I remember to close the garage door” or “did I remember to put on my mask at the library”? Currently going out of my mind with the latter—I know I put it on, I took it with me, but my mind plays tricks on me all the time, making memories seem different than they actually happened.

Oh, I relate too much. I constantly worry if I remembered to turn the oven or stove off, or if I locked the front door, or if I mislaid my keys (I always age a year when I think I have).

• Like 4
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Oh, I relate too much. I constantly worry if I remembered to turn the oven or stove off, or if I locked the front door, or if I mislaid my keys (I always age a year when I think I have).

This is me to the letter. Only I can't stop at "worry"; I turn around and go home to check. I have actually taken pictures with my phone of the stove knobs, the door (not that I can see from the outside that it's locked, obviously, but I can assume that I took the picture immediately after locking it), and the closed window. My OCD (actual, not figure of speech) fixates on the safety of my cats. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 5
10 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

This is me to the letter. Only I can't stop at "worry"; I turn around and go home to check. I have actually taken pictures with my phone of the stove knobs, the door (not that I can see from the outside that it's locked, obviously, but I can assume that I took the picture immediately after locking it), and the closed window. My OCD (actual, not figure of speech) fixates on the safety of my cats. 

Yeah, but for me, this happened hours after I went to the library. Sometimes these thoughts just come at you, and it sucks because even though I am 90 percent sure I put it on when I was there, it’s not like I can go back and check some crystal ball or hidden camera for proof.

My paranoia is in overdrive this month because it’s me and my dad’s birthday month, and there’s too much I don’t want to miss because even though I’ve had all my shots I don’t want to get COVID now.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Please tell me I’m not the only thing this happens to.

That’s me with my medication. I’m always thinking did I take it? 

Or where is my wallet? Or did I take my charger? 

• Like 2

Yes I check the oven, check the range burners, check the front door, I used to even turn the medicine jar upside down in the morning so I would know I took it before the evening.

I can't imagine being a smoker and having to worry about putting cigarettes out at night.

• Like 3
On 3/3/2023 at 1:47 PM, Leeds said:

Now that you've got the place under control, is there any way you can get Mr. KittyDad involved in ongoing maintenance so it doesn't all fall on you?  "If we tackle the bathroom together, then we'll be able to make the 7:30 movie showing/we'll have time for a walk/we'll deserve xyz reward".

LOL, no worries there, it's as if a switch flipped, once he saw how clean everything was he was much more inspired to keep it that way. Even the decluttering rubbed off on him. The kitchen counters used to be used as his office space with papers, mail, notepads all strewn about along with the toaster, coffeemaker etc. Since our kitchen is small I had no prep space if it all remained. Since then he has been almost a taskmaster about keeping the counters cleared! 

On 3/3/2023 at 2:36 PM, ABay said:

I had to take down my feeders because I saw a rat

Yea, I can't have feeders in my new neigbhorhood because of a rat problem. The neighbor behind me has one, right next to our property line. When I was out clearing brush in that area he came out and mentioned he'd seen a rat by his feeder but his wife really enjoys watching the birds. I was peeved but didn't say anything. Thankfully I have not seen one since our other neighbor, who had 3 dogs and never cleaned up the feces in the backyard, moved. Rats love dog poop. Ick.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I find tying two things together to help me remember if I’ve done something. When I worked my coffee maker had a timer so I would take my medication and set up the coffeemaker for the next morning . Later on if I wondered I only had to check that the coffeemaker light was on to know I took my pill. 
When I know I’m going to wonder later about something that couldn’t be tied to something else I will say it  out loud . “ yes you unplugged the iron” , “yes  you turned off the burner , “ yes you closed the garage door “ etc.  Might be just my brain but it works for me.

• Like 6

Why!Is!Cable!So!Expensive! ?

I'm sure @JTMacc99will chime in with some knowledge about fees and logic behind some of the costs but I just want straightforward pricing. "Cutting the cord" and going with a streaming service like YouTubeTV or Sling isn't much cheaper.

Cox has this "contour streaming player" they force on you unless you opt-out. I don't need that, I already have a Fire Stick to download any streaming apps.

No, I don't want to move my cell service to my ISP and I don't want a landline, even if it makes the "bundle" cheaper.

The best cable experience I ever had was with Xfinity. I need to move into an area they service.

Meh.

• Like 3
(edited)

The service quality must depend on where you live. One of the happiest days of my life was the day I dropped off all my xfinity hardware at the store and was finally and forever free of Comcast. On the other hand, I really regretted having to cut Direct TV. Even after AT&T bought them, the customer service was excellent. I was also happy to leave AT&T phone and switch to Cellular for half the price. For internet, I'm fortunate enough to live in a place with GoNetSpeed, a fiberoptic service with great speed, low price, and excellent customer service.

I have Amazon Prime anyway and subscribe to Britbox and Acorn through that, sometimes picking up something else like Paramount or MhZ for a month. I also have YouTube Premium (not YouTube TV) and Netflix, and HBO Max or Hulu depending on whether there's anything I want to see. Discounting Amazon which I was already paying for, it all still costs less than I was paying for Direct TV and AT&T, and that combo was less than Comcast and AT&T.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm sure @JTMacc99will chime in with some knowledge about fees and logic behind some of the costs but I just want straightforward pricing. "Cutting the cord" and going with a streaming service like YouTubeTV or Sling isn't much cheaper.

When you buy TV, it's really not much different than buying electricity.  You're paying for two things. You pay for the electricity itself. Even if the check is going to the utility company, they're just taking that money and handing over every dollar to the power company. And you're paying for service delivery. All of those trucks and people and wires and fiber and electronics that it takes to deliver the power cost money.

Right now, in 2023, I would guess that the basic Comcast cable package which has all of the broadcast networks, all of the major and a bunch of the secondary cable networks, and all of the regional sports networks probably costs Comcast about $90. That's the amount they turn around and hand to the Networks. Comcast might be a little lower than that, as they are huge and might get some discounted rates.

Then they need another $90 for service to cover running the business. They probably get a lot of that by signing you up for their internet service. 

The streaming bundles like YouTubeTV are less expensive because they likely don't have as many miscellaneous networks in the basic bundles. They also have extremely low service delivery costs to cover, as the cable companies shoulder all of the costs of building and maintaining the internet delivery system that YouTubeTV uses for free. 

If I were to move to a new place, I would likely sign up with the cable company for their standard internet. 300MB service works just find for me. I'd provide as much of my own equipment as makes sense based on their pricing for stuff.

I would definitely piece together my video services by figuring out what I can get streaming. If I want live local sports, I'd have to go with YouTubeTV or Sling. If I don't want local sports, I'd have to figure out if I need network FOX, as that's the only thing I can't get through a streaming service. 

YouTubeTV and Sling make it easier to get everything I want, but I might be able to combine a bunch of individual services for less. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Why!Is!Cable!So!Expensive! ?

Cox has this "contour streaming player" they force on you unless you opt-out. I don't need that, I already have a Fire Stick to download any streaming apps.

No, I don't want to move my cell service to my ISP and I don't want a landline, even if it makes the "bundle" cheaper.

The best cable experience I ever had was with Xfinity. I need to move into an area they service.

Meh.

Just one more data point for you.  I finally kicked Cox to the curb a few months ago.  YouTubeTV is just over half the price (and I didn't have anywhere near the most expensive Cox plan)!  And I love that I can "DVR" anything and everything.  Yes, I know it's not a real physical copy that I can keep forever, but it serves my time-shifting purposes very well.

I was afraid I'd have problems since we don't have the fastest internet, but so far we've seen no problems even with two people streaming on different devices.

• Useful 1
(edited)

It's all about what's most reliable in your particular area.  For me, it's satellite by a landslide.

When I lived in a condo building of townhouses, I had to have cable (for which the building was already wired), because the CC&Rs had been amended to prohibit putting up satellite dishes.  So many problems, just like every other place in Los Angeles I'd had cable.  When I called to cancel (because I was moving), instead of asking me "For what reason?" the rep asked "Because of cost or service issues?"

When I moved into my house about 20 years ago, one of the first things I did was go buy a satellite dish and receiver (Dish; I was going to go with DirecTV because my parents had it, but they only let you lease equipment from them, you couldn't buy it anywhere).  My only complaint is how slow they are to add new stations to their programming packages.  I had to fix the receiver once, but it was really minor, and I've had no other equipment issues.  No service issues to complain about; I can count outages on one hand - again, over a span of nearly 20 years - and they've always been brief (I think something going on up in the atmosphere).  The price, yeah, the same grumble everyone has whoever their provider is, but if you squawk every once in a while they'll adjust.

Meanwhile, my NextDoor feed is filled with "Out again!  Anyone else?" complaints from neighbors who have any of the cable providers. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I knew I could count on you @JTMacc99. 🙃 

I can't recall a time when the cable went out and only a few times when the internet went out but they were all when I was in GA and directly related to storms. I have heard horror stories about satellite dishes going out, spotty service, slow internet, etc... I guess it's all a matter of perspective. Personally, I'd rather have traditional cable, because if that goes out, I can still stream things via the internet. If I have a streaming provider (YouTubeTV, Sling, etc...) and the internet goes out, I'm dead in the water.

At the end of the day, the cost for all of the services seems to be on par with each other, regardless of the company.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Personally, I'd rather have traditional cable, because if that goes out, I can still stream things via the internet.

I don't get my internet from satellite, that's cable (U-Verse).  I got a new modem/router when I upgraded to fiber, and <knocking on wood> don't have to reboot it nearly as often as I had to the old one.  While obviously the speed was nothing like it is today, the most reliable internet service I ever had was ye olde land line DSL.

At the end of the day, the cost for all of the services seems to be on par with each other, regardless of the company.

Yeah, that is definitely the case here.  Little differences here and there, so depending on what programming you want and what tier package most of that is in with the various providers, one might wind up being cheaper than the others based on your specifics, but for the most part they all charge about the same thing for the same general level of offerings.

As I said, Dish won over DirecTV for me being able to save huge amounts of money by buying the equipment rather than leasing it.  That was the only price difference; the programming packages were about the same with equivalent offerings (Dish had some stuff DirecTV didn't, and vice versa).

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

While obviously the speed was nothing like it is today, the most reliable internet service I ever had was ye olde land line DSL.

Oh man, you reminded me about the time I had this super unknown DSL provider that was so fast (for the time). Unfortunately, because it was so "secret" (it was basically promoted by word of mouth) they either went under or were acquired by another company.

• Sad 1
(edited)

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh, when I want to look up something, but 65 things distract me before I can get a minute with my laptop and then I forget what that something was.

Also, ugh, I need a new lady doctor but I need one who is really attuned and sensitive to the needs of someone who is really, really, really tense about this kind of exam. I am not sure how to ask for this because I am sure that they all think they are. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhhhh, when I want to look up something, but 65 things distract me before I can get a minute with my laptop and then I forget what that something was.

Also, ugh, I need a new lady doctor but I need one who is really attuned and sensitive to the needs of someone who is really, really, really tense about this kind of exam. I am not sure how to ask for this because I am sure that they all think they are. 

I moved my response to the health and wellness thread. I wasn't sure what protocol is but since it's "health related' and can spawn a discussion I erred on the side of caution.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I need to look for a female dr/pcp my dr is very uncouth sometimes. I have lived in MT since 2004 and have never had a pelvic exam. He says because I '"was gutted like a fish" (total hysterectomy) I didn't need one... Then when he got the results of my breast biopsy, he called me on the phone and said "you've got cancer". Geesh, bedside manners anyone?? Those are just a couple examples of his great patient empathy...

I really need to find a female dr!!  I will be looking as soon as I am released from the back brace. (A wonderful woman PA has been taking care of me unfortunately she is in neurosurgery not primary care.)

• Mind Blown 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 1
  • Fire 1
36 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I need to look for a female dr/pcp my dr is very uncouth sometimes. I have lived in MT since 2004 and have never had a pelvic exam. He says because I '"was gutted like a fish" (total hysterectomy) I didn't need one... Then when he got the results of my breast biopsy, he called me on the phone and said "you've got cancer". Geesh, bedside manners anyone?? Those are just a couple examples of his great patient empathy...

I really need to find a female dr!!  I will be looking as soon as I am released from the back brace. (A wonderful woman PA has been taking care of me unfortunately she is in neurosurgery not primary care.)

You could get a female doc and she ends up being a total b-word too.....you never know.   Awful bedside manner = awful bedside manner.

• Like 11
13 minutes ago, PRgal said:

You could get a female doc and she ends up being a total b-word too.....you never know.   Awful bedside manner = awful bedside manner.

True, but I will do way more research on a new dr than I did on the first. My friend was his nurse and she recommended him...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

In regard to cable, you probably have to have some luck.  I found out kind of by accident that Spectrum in NYC (who are roundly hated) have  (or had when I signed up) a very little known option called Spectrum Choice which gives you all the "over the air" channels plus NY1 news and 12 channels that you pick out.  So I was able to get channels like Turner Classics, TNT, CNN, ESPN, Weather Channel for not much.  Plus internet which is pretty much half the bill anyway.  Of course it's gradually rising but I really wouldn't be any better off with Youtube TV.  I tried it for awhile but I found the layout way too confusing especially since it kept every recording *forever*.  I have 2 Tivos and I like being able to erase things when I've seen them.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

I’m more comfortable with female doctors when it comes to anything female-related, but this is absolutely true. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, roseha said:

I really wouldn't be any better off with Youtube TV.

That's my biggest peeve. "Cutting the cord" used to be a way to save money.

Now, if you want the basic stations because you're a fan of network TV, cord-cutting is basically the same price as traditional cable. Even paying for multiple apps (Peacock, Paramount Plus, whatever ABC has, AMC, etc...) to have access to the network shows will eventually be the same cost as traditional cable.

I've been using my parent's login during my period of unemployment so I can watch the basics but it reminded me that I'm lazy. Just give me traditional cable with a box and I'll call it a day.

• Like 5
19 hours ago, roseha said:

Yes I check the oven, check the range burners, check the front door, I used to even turn the medicine jar upside down in the morning so I would know I took it before the evening.

I can't imagine being a smoker and having to worry about putting cigarettes out at night.

Well color me surprised. I had no idea that turning over the medicine bottle wasn’t just a normal thing that normal people do normally. I take an otc antihistamine before bed, turn over the bottle, then flip it back over in the morning. I also count out two weeks worth into my small bottle every other Sunday, so I can count and check myself if start to doubt myself. More recently, I’ve gotten a couple of prescription meds to take daily, that I put in a sectioned pill case so it’s obvious if I’ve taken the daily dose. Not aimed at @roseha- just saying that there’s nothing weird about having a plan to keep up with one’s meds. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

to have access to the network shows will eventually be the same cost as traditional cable

Yep. It doesn’t matter to whom you write the check, the people you’re actually paying are the content providers. The people who make the shows are gonna get paid. 

• Like 3