Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I totally get you.  I HATE NOISE.  I’ve sold houses twice because of noise.  It makes me nervous.  I sleep with a sound machine next to my ear.  I’ve had air conditioner noise next door, barking dogs, and a weight lifter dropping the weights on the driveway.  I make my husband go and talk to these people.  In my next life, I will buy a home in the woods away from people.  Your people upstairs are out of line.  The law is no noise after 10 p.m. of any kind.  Just move.

I have extremely good hearing, which I know is a blessing, but can also be a curse. The world is terribly loud. It makes my anxiety so much worse. When I first started staying over with my boyfriend, I heard a ticking from across the bedroom and he finally figured out it was a pocket watch on his dresser. He had to bury it in his sock drawer!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My current pet peeve is the weather. We're going from hot to cold to massive winds to pouring rain. My poor allergies are going bonkers. 

Oh my lord, same. I woke up with a stuffy nose and a headache thanks to another cold front that blew in overnight, dropping us from the 70s to the 40s again. It's been like that for over a week now and it's driving me crazy. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I used to wonder WTF my upstairs neighbors were doing that always sounded like a herd of elephants. Then I bought a 2 story house and realized my 10 pound kitty cats sound like a herd of elephants when they are catting. I was totally *that* neighbor when living on a floor with people under me and I had no idea.

My current pet peeve is the weather. We're going from hot to cold to massive winds to pouring rain. My poor allergies are going bonkers. 

Are you in Texas by any chance? because last week had upper 60's to 70's and it rained all day Saturday and Sunday and was humid. Last night we went down to 37 and by this weekend we are going to be low 50's during night and low to mid 70's during the day

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

Are you in Texas by any chance? because last week had upper 60's to 70's and it rained all day Saturday and Sunday and was humid. Last night we went down to 37 and by this weekend we are going to be low 50's during night and low to mid 70's during the day

Nope, not in TX. I'm in Georgia hell. 

• Love 1

I know I shouldn't complain about this during Covid time, but...doctor's offices who are routinely late for your appointment. I get that they want less traffic in the waiting rooms, they have to do more cleaning in between appointments, etc. But I have been sitting in my car for over 30 minutes now, waiting for the office to call and say I'm okay to come in. And then who knows how long it will take to actually see the doctor after that.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I totally get you.  I HATE NOISE.  I’ve sold houses twice because of noise.  It makes me nervous.  I sleep with a sound machine next to my ear.  I’ve had air conditioner noise next door, barking dogs, and a weight lifter dropping the weights on the driveway.  I make my husband go and talk to these people.  In my next life, I will buy a home in the woods away from people.  Your people upstairs are out of line.  The law is no noise after 10 p.m. of any kind.  Just move.

I'm with you on this and moved from a suburban area to a very rural area because of the incessant barking dogs in various people's backyards. However! I quickly learned that being in the woods is absolutely no guarantee of quiet (unless you wind up on your own 100 acres or more) as people in rural areas LOVE their power tools, so although we were not in visible distance of any other houses, we could still hear those super noisy power saws being fired up early on a Saturday morning. In the winter, the crack of dawn brought out the snowblowers and when there wasn't snow on the ground, you had the roosters doing their thing pretty much all day long.

Related pet peeve: Those wonderful folk who come back to their hotel room after midnight and continue to noisily party all the way from slamming their car doors, into the elevator or up the stairs, and all the way down the corridor or hallway to their rooms. Last trip I took there was about 10 20-somethings staying in my hotel and they were party-ing out in the hallways at 2 - 3 AM so as not to disturb their friends inside the room, but did not care at all that they were keeping me up. I've never found ear plugs that were both effective and comfortable and I've tried every brand I can...:(

• Love 6

Every time I get the notion to sell the house and move into an apartment/condo, I read about these noise issues and remember how much I hated this sort of thing.  I remember having elephant herds living a floor above, the couple with the pomeranian that barked from the second they closed their door to leave in the morning until it mercifully fell asleep, nearly 30 minutes later, the young kids that moved in together (last count was 6) in an apartment legally leased to house 4, with barely enough parking for one resident per apt./per building (buildings held 4 apartments), so they just parked in the front lawn space.  Management.did.nothing.  Rent was paid and that was the extent of their concerns.  These were expensive apartments for our area.  We had the largest/most expensive of the four, walk-out garage, and in 1992 were paying $800/month, having moved from $550/mo.  We naively thought it would buy a certain level of civility.  We were dead wrong.  The thought of experiencing those headaches/nightmares again at this point in my life makes me nauseated.

~sigh~

• Love 3

Having to get ready to start your day or go to bed.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very girlie and love feeling fresh and clean. Showers are often my fave part of the day. I love wearing beautiful dresses. But it would be so nice to not have to fix my hair, not have a lengthy skin care routine, not have to shave everywhere, have zero makeup on. I envy men! Next best thing would be a woman with barely any body hair, naturally straight hair on her head, perfect skin that doesn't require much maintenance or makeup, someone who can just shower and go. I also wear contact lenses and have to wear a retainer at night. Those of you with perfect vision, perfect teeth, no undereye circles, legs you can go a week without shaving, be grateful! lol

• Love 4

@RealHousewife, I’m sitting here with poofy wavy hair because I couldn’t be bothered to dry it this morning. I just could.not.do.it even though I am on video conference calls today. I skipped the under eye concealer too, hoping that my glasses will obscure the worst of it. This is one of those weeks when I do not give AF. I will however shave my legs this weekend, because I’m getting a pedicure (which I love) and don’t want to horrify the poor person who has to take care of my hooves.

ETA: if someone can recommend good hair products for wavy hair, I would really appreciate it. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I'm with you on this and moved from a suburban area to a very rural area because of the incessant barking dogs in various people's backyards. However! I quickly learned that being in the woods is absolutely no guarantee of quiet (unless you wind up on your own 100 acres or more) as people in rural areas LOVE their power tools, so although we were not in visible distance of any other houses, we could still hear those super noisy power saws being fired up early on a Saturday morning. In the winter, the crack of dawn brought out the snowblowers and when there wasn't snow on the ground, you had the roosters doing their thing pretty much all day long.

Related pet peeve: Those wonderful folk who come back to their hotel room after midnight and continue to noisily party all the way from slamming their car doors, into the elevator or up the stairs, and all the way down the corridor or hallway to their rooms. Last trip I took there was about 10 20-somethings staying in my hotel and they were party-ing out in the hallways at 2 - 3 AM so as not to disturb their friends inside the room, but did not care at all that they were keeping me up. I've never found ear plugs that were both effective and comfortable and I've tried every brand I can...:(

I can also attest to the fact that people in semi-rural areas looooove power tools and anything gasoline-powered—tractor mowers, snow blowers, leaf blowers, atvs, quads, etc. The area where I live is hilly and it makes for strange acoustics. Sound seems to bounce off of one hill to another. I have chronic migraine and it seems like it is noisiest on the days when I feel the worst.

Also , some people like to use their acreage for target practice and the sound of gunfire echoes through the hills. Very disconcerting.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

@RealHousewife, I’m sitting here with poofy wavy hair because I couldn’t be bothered to dry it this morning. I just could.not.do.it even though I am on video conference calls today. I skipped the under eye concealer too, hoping that my glasses will obscure the worst of it. This is one of those weeks when I do not give AF. I will however shave my legs this weekend, because I’m getting a pedicure (which I love) and don’t want to horrify the poor person who has to take care of my hooves.

ETA: if someone can recommend good hair products for wavy hair, I would really appreciate it. 

I don't blame you! I need to start being more low maintenance myself and save the lengthy routines for the weekend. 

I prefer to wear my hair straight, but I recommend all curly/wavy hair girls to try the curly girl method. There are brands like DevaCurl, but you can find affordable products without silicones and sulphates that will enhance your waves/curls at any store. It just takes some research. I go back and forth between trying to rock my natural hair then missing the smooth straight hair. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I dread spring. My nice quiet 88year old neighbor is moving out since she can't manage on her own anymore and I dread the possibility that I will get a noisy one.

I'm not good with noisy neighbors but I live in my dream condo and I don't want to move. I hope there will be no small kids or dogs. An old person with headphones for their TV is what I'm hoping for.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, supposebly said:

An old person with headphones for their TV is what I'm hoping for.

Speaking as someone with a hearing-impaired 89-yr old mother, between the eyeglasses, hearing aids, and now face coverings with ear loops, "older people" may have a difficult time negotiating earphones, whether buds or over-the-ear.  Believe me, I've given it a lot of thought.  Mom can barely manage with the three things ^above. 😟

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, supposebly said:

I dread spring. My nice quiet 88year old neighbor is moving out since she can't manage on her own anymore and I dread the possibility that I will get a noisy one.

I'm not good with noisy neighbors but I live in my dream condo and I don't want to move. I hope there will be no small kids or dogs. An old person with headphones for their TV is what I'm hoping for.

I don't want to jinx it but I think our horrible, noisy neighbor has moved out! The woman owns the house, they're not married. My DH saw him loading stuff into a U-Haul the other day, including his fucking LOUD Harley. He took the dogs too! I hope he's not just taking a trip.

• Love 6

Update to my long doctor's appointment wait (because I know you were all holding your breath, lol), I finally got into the office after 45 minutes. And that only happened because I called again and asked if they had forgotten I was waiting outside in my car. The appointment went very quickly after that and I really like the doctor and her staff, however, it turns out they were so far behind because another patient was AN HOUR AND A HALF LATE and they still saw her. I must have made quite the face behind my mask when they told me this because the doctor immediately said "we should have refused to see her when she showed up, we won't do that again."

• Love 4

Re loud neighbors:  years ago I began the habit of running a fan for some white noise in my bedroom when I lived on the 2nd floor or a 2-story apartment building.  A couple who moved into the apartment immediately below mine liked to have early morning sex.  This happened EVERY morning at about 5:00.  She was a moaner - need I say more?  I learned that a fan on medium would drown them out.  

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Speaking as someone with a hearing-impaired 89-yr old mother, between the eyeglasses, hearing aids, and now face coverings with ear loops, "older people" may have a difficult time negotiating earphones, whether buds or over-the-ear.  Believe me, I've given it a lot of thought.  Mom can barely manage with the three things ^above. 

Ah, yes but my neighbour's boyfriend would always watch TV with headphones on since he was hard of hearing. So, I'm hoping for someone equally considerate.

1 minute ago, Calvada said:

This happened EVERY morning at about 5:00. 

I mean good for them but at 5am? They must both be morning people.

• LOL 3
28 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Ah, yes but my neighbour's boyfriend would always watch TV with headphones on since he was hard of hearing. So, I'm hoping for someone equally considerate.

I would advocate this for just about anyone actually.  I sort of wish DH would do it.  Though he won't acknowledge it, his hearing is not what it used to be, and the volume is starting to become distracting for me.  A time honored tradition I guess.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I would advocate this for just about anyone actually.  I sort of wish DH would do it.  Though he won't acknowledge it, his hearing is not what it used to be, and the volume is starting to become distracting for me.  A time honored tradition I guess.

My DH was a drummer in a rock band. His hearing is bad plus the tinnitus, the volume he listens to on the tv bugs me because I'm in the bedroom listening to the birds and he's got some movie on where people are yelling and stuff is blowing up. 

15 hours ago, Calvada said:

A couple who moved into the apartment immediately below mine liked to have early morning sex.  This happened EVERY morning at about 5:00.  She was a moaner - need I say more?  I learned that a fan on medium would drown them out. 

Oh lord, I’m so sorry—moaners/shouters are gross sexual show-off’s, if you ask me. Good sex doesn’t require an opera performance, folks!
Speaking of which, I used to live a few doors down from a guy who was dating a SCREAMER; homegirl sounded like she was being tortured! I almost called the police the first time I heard it until I kept listening and soon realized she was being pounded in the good way. She wasn’t there for very long though, thank goodness; I could never look her in the eye because it was all I could do to not get giggle fits whenever I saw her.

After 11 years of Hell courtesy of my former awful condo neighbors((annoying spoiled child and his dim parents & loud talker/louder constant cougher/loudest morning person ever)), I feel VERY fortunate to have had decent neighbors so far in my current dream condo. I’m on the top floor and share a wall with a chill guy who mostly travels for work and the other wall with a couple who I see maybe once every 1-2 months or so because they use their place as a vacation condo. It’s been heavenly so far and I just pray that they all stick around as long as I’m here.

My pet-peeve is about my neighbors down the hall who have a yappy dog; that thing loudly barks itself silly for hours every time its owners leave. I don’t hear the dog from my place, but I feel awful for their adjoining neighbors who constantly have to listen to that thing.

Why get a yappy dog when you live in a shared space? Certain breeds are naturally louder/yappier than others...if you simply MUST own that particular breed, isn’t there a way to teach the damned thing not to bark that much?? Or just TAKE IT WITH YOU if you’re going to be gone that much outside of work?!

Hell, I’d suggest a shock collar or doggie downers/CBD treats for that thing at this point.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Sun-Bun said:

My pet-peeve is about my neighbors down the hall who have a yappy dog; that thing loudly barks itself silly for hours every time its owners leave.

It is quite possible they don't know it yaps all day.  They're gone, so they don't hear it. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It is quite possible they don't know it yaps all day.  They're gone, so they don't hear it. 

It’s been almost a year and my husband is head of the HOA, which helps our manager deal with noise complaints intel. There have been *multiple* complaints about that beast so far. Yet sadly(and frustratingly), nothing has changed.

Edited by Sun-Bun
  • Love 1
On 1/26/2021 at 6:20 PM, Silver Bells said:

That sounds fabulous.  When my oldest graduated college, she went by herself on a tour of 11 countries in 10 days with ages up to 30 by bus through the countries.  She said all busses with seniors in wheelchairs, walkers, etc. on other tours.  My husband was in the Army stationed in Europe for 18 months and said he had enough.  I’d have to go with a friend.  If I can get myself together.

Go on a cruise with your friend! You unpack once, no need to walk forever to find a restaurant you like, you can do excursions (or not--I love staying on the ship when almost everyone else is off adventuring...it's like having your own mega yacht). The Alaska cruises are spectacular. We also liked the Baltic Sea capitals cruise. It's an easy way to see Northern Europe, even Russia.

• Love 4

The husband half of the couple who live next door must be hard of hearing because it sounds like we live next to a movie theater when he watches TV. The pictures on our shared wall rattle. He's maybe in his late 60s. His phone notification tone(?) is the whistle jingle from the Old Spice commercials and it's loud enough that we can hear it when he's outside, so it's TOO LOUD! It's also quite possibly the most annoying phone notification sound ever to have been chosen.

On 1/26/2021 at 2:50 PM, BookWoman56 said:

This is true for any adult, male or female. Males in their mid-20s who don’t know how to cook or do laundry? Females in their mid-60s who don’t know their own finances and how to pay bills? All of them are likely to be in for a very rude awakening when the person who previously did this for them is no longer willing or able to continue babying them.

This stuff has made me think for the last few days. With my parents, it's my dad who refuses to or lets my mom deal with bills, renovations, taxes, insurance bills, most of the shopping. Somehow they assume he will die first because he is 5 years older and his health is not that great compared to hers. Still, they don't know that and I really worry what will happen if my mom dies first.

He has consistently refused to carry a cell phone, or even look at a computer. Just moving a mouse will be a challenge. I still remember when I showed my mom how to move a mouse (15 years ago). She kept moving her whole body while looking at the mouse instead of the screen.

Keep in mind, my mother is a control freak and wouldn't have it any other way but now things are so ingrained and settled, it feels it will be almost impossible for him to learn these things. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Why get a yappy dog when you live in a shared space on Planet Earth?

All of my neighbours, except 1, have at least one yappy dog, and many of them have 2.  One family has 2 yappers, who will bark "yap yap yap" and the owner will shout "Oscar, stop that barking" and "Lucy, stop that barking", and the dogs think they are having a conversation, so the barking continues.  I swear I hear the dogs' names more than I hear my own. 

• LOL 2
27 minutes ago, Quof said:

All of my neighbours, except 1, have at least one yappy dog, and many of them have 2.  One family has 2 yappers, who will bark "yap yap yap" and the owner will shout "Oscar, stop that barking" and "Lucy, stop that barking", and the dogs think they are having a conversation, so the barking continues.  I swear I hear the dogs' names more than I hear my own. 

Quof, stop that barking.

• LOL 7
5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The husband half of the couple who live next door must be hard of hearing because it sounds like we live next to a movie theater when he watches TV. The pictures on our shared wall rattle. He's maybe in his late 60s. His phone notification tone(?) is the whistle jingle from the Old Spice commercials and it's loud enough that we can hear it when he's outside, so it's TOO LOUD! It's also quite possibly the most annoying phone notification sound ever to have been chosen.

We are in a condo now too.  Why don’t they build with a cement fire wall between the bedrooms?  You can hear right thru the walls.  When I go to bed, I put my t.v. On mute and just watch until I fall asleep.  Husband watches in the living room .. Pimple Popper, ID and all weird disgusting animal and snake things.  He does watch 90 Day Fiance tho, and Married at First Sight with me, and N.Y. Housewives.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

Oh lord, I’m so sorry—moaners/shouters are gross sexual show-off’s, if you ask me. Good sex doesn’t require an opera performance, folks!
Speaking of which, I used to live a few doors down from a guy who was dating a SCREAMER; homegirl sounded like she was being tortured! I almost called the police the first time I heard it until I kept listening and soon realized she was being pounded in the good way. She wasn’t there for very long though, thank goodness; I could never look her in the eye because it was all I could do to not get giggle fits whenever I saw her.

This!  I used to see this woman at the bus stop every morning as we would head off to work.  The polite "good morning, how are you?" was a challenge.  This couple moved after living in the building for a year, because they were expecting their first child and needed a bigger place.  A friend of mine who knew about the situation & who had 3 children, said, "Problem solved for their new neighbors - they'll go from every day to national holidays and their anniversary." 

• LOL 2
12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My DH was a drummer in a rock band. His hearing is bad plus the tinnitus, the volume he listens to on the tv bugs me because I'm in the bedroom listening to the birds and he's got some movie on where people are yelling and stuff is blowing up. 

Wait a minute...are we in the same house?  <looks around the room>

• LOL 3
10 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

O.K.  Does anyone know what Discovery Plus is?  Most of us are already paying over $200 for cable.  Do certain shows make you get this Discovery thing to watch the show?  We have to pay extra now to watch?

I think it’s Discovery Channel produced shows that won’t be shown on the Discovery Channels - extra content.  Yes, you have to pay extra.  Since this is a pet peeve forum - I’m irritated by the Discovery Plus bug in the corner of the screen of any of their channels while I’m watching them.  This is in addition to the bug in the lower right corner identifying the channel I’m watching.  So lately I’ve been avoiding those channels.  I’m paying enough for cable and all of these steaming sites with their extra fee is too much.  All of the cable channels seem to be launching them now.  

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

I think it’s Discovery Channel produced shows that won’t be shown on the Discovery Channels - extra content.  Yes, you have to pay extra.  Since this is a pet peeve forum - I’m irritated by the Discovery Plus bug in the corner of the screen of any of their channels while I’m watching them.  This is in addition to the bug in the lower right corner identifying the channel I’m watching.  So lately I’ve been avoiding those channels.  I’m paying enough for cable and all of these steaming sites with their extra fee is too much.  All of the cable channels seem to be launching them now.  

Thanks for the info.  We were catching up on 90 day Fiance, and Theresa Cavuto comes on for one hour, along with what you said in the both right corners “starting at $5.99 a month”.  What the hell?  Things getting out of hand. ☹️

• Love 3

I think you are witnessing the beginning of the end of traditional cable/satellite television.  Streaming services such as Netflix, Discovery+, etc. are taking over at a pretty rapid pace.  Will we save money in the end?  Doubtful, unless we're willing to go on a teevee diet.

I heard the host of a technology-based radio show (sorry, can't say who it was) say that research is showing that people who have "cut the cord" by eliminating cable tv, are spending an average of $300/mo to stream.  Well that sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

We have Netflix, Amazon Prime Video (only because we are A P members), and Peacock (which as of now is free, but I doubt it will remain so).  I dread what's coming as we will no doubt be making the switch; our cable bill is obscene.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
54 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I think you are witnessing the beginning of the end of traditional cable/satellite television.  Streaming services such as Netflix, Discovery+, etc. are taking over at a pretty rapid pace.  Will we save money in the end?  Doubtful, unless we're willing to go on a teevee diet.

There’s also Paramount+ that’s launching soon.  I’m afraid you’re right.  I have a triple play bundle with Verizon and while I’d prefer to pay less for what I’m getting if the TV part keeps going up and I’m getting less original content I might consider pairing back to the lowest tier I can get with them - there are a couple of streaming services I’d consider in place of that but the multitudes that are being launched now?  No way.  

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I heard the host of a technology-based radio show (sorry, can't say who it was) say that research is showing that people who have "cut the cord" by eliminating cable tv, are spending an average of $300/mo to stream.  Well that sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

We have Netflix, Amazon Prime Video (only because we are A P members), and Peacock (which as of now is free, but I doubt it will remain so).  I dread what's coming as we will no doubt be making the switch; our cable bill is obscene.

I think if anyone has a decent cable package which includes Turner Classics, the Movie channel, HBO Starz, etc, plus Netflix, that’s fairly enough.  For me anyhow.  I don’t even know what shows are on Discovery +.   Things get more confusing everyday.  We just got a new Smart t.v.  We practically had to call in the troops to set it up.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

are spending an average of $300/mo to stream

On average? That seems an overestimation to me. If true, people are again paying for so much crap they never watch.

Not that I ever payed that much for cable, but I have friends who finally cut the cord after spending that much on cable for years. I can't see them doing that again.

I just don't understand. I have Netflix and Amazon and I barely have time to watch what I want to watch. If there really is something I want, I either do a one-month trial or if I figure this is something I really want and may possibly rewatch, I buy it.

It sounds just like spending a ton of money on FOMO to me. 

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, supposebly said:

On average? That seems an overestimation to me. If true, people are again paying for so much crap they never watch.

Not that I ever payed that much for cable, but I have friends who finally cut the cord after spending that much on cable for years. I can't see them doing that again.

I just don't understand. I have Netflix and Amazon and I barely have time to watch what I want to watch. If there really is something I want, I either do a one-month trial or if I figure this is something I really want and may possibly rewatch, I buy it.

It sounds just like spending a ton of money on FOMO to me. 

I thought it sounded quite high also, but your last point could be the reason.  Plus, I can see folks picking up the varying services that are "only $6 or $8 bux per month", plus being neglectful of cancelling after the "free introductory period", etc., and before they know what they've done, they're spending as much or more than they did with traditional tv providers.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

What's going to happen is someone is going to create a network with a bunch of streaming services in it, & it will be the beginning of cable all over again.

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

A few years ago I moved from cable to satellite TV and about a year ago I dumped that and went to all streaming.  I'm very happy with it and have everything I'm interested in watching for the foreseeable future for about $100 a month.  I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Acorn, BritBox and Hulu.  With Hulu I get the local broadcasts of the major networks and the cable channels I want - TCM, USA, History, Smithsonian, Travel and others.  I've been working from home for 10 months and have the TV on a lot and never get close to running out of things I want to watch.  I was sick of paying so much for so many channels I would never watch and with satellite, it would go out if a drop of rain landed on the dish - that got very old.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Several years ago I was out trimming the hedge on an early weekend morning, and the neighbor couple were going at it pretty good in their upstairs bedroom with the window open.  She was one happy camper so to speak.

Back in high school I do remember the female English teacher being so upset because she saw two dogs doing it on her way to school.  She was so flustered she felt the need to tell the whole class about it.   Good thing she wasn't teaching biology, she probably would have fainted.

Reminds me of one of my late father's colleagues. Long-short was that she permanently soiled her own nest with their department's elderly, genteel receptionist when she burst into the office and attempted to order the older lady to 'Call Security! There are two dogs _____ING in front of the building!'

The receptionist tried to tell the colleague that it wouldn't do any good because by the time security would have gotten there, the dogs would have long since gotten a room. Or words to that effect.

Yeah, the dogs were just doing nature's call but that colleague was needlessly profane (and whacked)   to that receptionist. So let's file this under a pet peeve against those who think can throw their weight around regardless of time,place or species.

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3

Peeve: pandemic hobbies. It's great if you (general) picked up a new hobby during the pandemic. Sourdough, crafting, coloring, cooking, writing, music, whatever keeps you safe and sane. But some of us are just trying to survive. Would a pandemic hobby help? Probably. But getting self righteous about having one and how I need to get one isn't going to help drive my desire to pick one up.

• Love 15

Peeve - both of my pairs of eyeglasses desperately need adjustment. With COVID restrictions I can’t just stop by the optometrist’s office to get them fixed. At least I got an appointment for tomorrow morning. In the meantime I have to be careful when I bend my neck of my glasses will slip off (already happened when I bent down to pick up my cat’s water bowl. Splash!)

• Love 2

Hee, I love The Jerk. I should have a little Steven Martin film fest this weekend. 

Within 10 minutes of posting my peeve, my glasses fell off twice. I switched to the other pair, which fits better but the prescription is older. I suppose I could put my contacts in, but frankly I’m too lazy to do it. It’s that kind of day!

• Love 5

Trying to be beautiful and fashionable on a budget without using products that conduct animal testing or being a consumer of fast fashion or wearing leather.

Makeup isn't very hard. CoverGirl is now cruelty-free, and there are many other lines that don't test on animals either. I struggle with acne, and pretty much anything from the drugstore that dermatologists recommend is Cetaphil, Cerave, or Neutrogena though. They all test on animals. 😞

With fashion, the average person can't afford to just buy designer. And then thrifting is not super easy either, even if you have no problem wearing stuff that's used and enjoy the treasure hunt of it all. Consignment shops are easier as far as finding nice things, but even those require longer drives, more planning, and time shopping. It's much easier to find stuff at Ross, TJ Maxx, and Marshall's. They're around everywhere, open every day, and have longer shopping hours. 

I also struggle finding beautiful quality bags that aren't genuine leather. The ones I buy are cute but cheap looking. I can't afford Stella McCartney. I wish there were a vegan line that is sold to the masses along the same lines as Coach, Dooney, or Michael Kors. I don't mind spending a little extra on a quality item I'll get years of use of, just not spending thousands. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 5

As I sit here on hold with an insurance company, my pet peeve is recordings that ask for your birthday, & then as soon as you get a real person, they ask for your birthday again. What is the point of asking me multiple times? Especially when it's one of those recordings that you have to keep verifying the information & they never get it correct so you have to keep repeating it.

• Love 11