Type keyword(s) to search

Pet Peeves: Aka Things That Make You Go "Gah!"

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

Your Pet Peeves are your Pet Peeves and you're welcome to express them here. However, that does not mean that you can use this topic to go after your fellow posters; being annoyed by something they say or do is not a Pet Peeve.

If there's something you need clarification on, please remember: it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; don't talk about what they said, talk to them. Politely, of course! Everyone is entitled to their opinion and should be treated with respect. (If need be, check out the how to have healthy debates guidelines for more).

While we're happy to grant the leniency that was requested about allowing discussions to go beyond Pet Peeves, please keep in mind that this is still the Pet Peeves topic. Non-pet peeves discussions should be kept brief, be related to a pet peeve and if a fellow poster suggests the discussion may be taken to Chit Chat or otherwise tries to course-correct the topic, we ask that you don't dismiss them. They may have a point.

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,
  • Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

My sister is in the dark also.  Her husband has his name on the checking acct ONLY.  Not hers.  He pays the bills and her job pays for the food.  If she wants to buy something, she cuts down on food.  I handle all the money in the house.  My husband doesn’t want to.  I handle everything .. banking, repair men, bills, etc.  I could rob him blind, but wouldn’t.  He lets me do what I want as long as he has his food on the table and his t.v. for his sports.  Thank God.  I could not live like my sister.  My husband paid her share for funeral flowers and luncheons for my parents and other things.  It’s not like we are loaded, it’s that they are cheap.  Always were.

I opened our checking and savings accounts when we first got married. My name is at the top on our checks. I paid the bills for the first thirty years we were married. Now that I'm retired and living on an inheritance, he has taken over that checking account while I handle my dad's finances while he is in care.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it doesn't. Just reading all the comments, I was, like, huh. Mine doesn't. And I know they do, because my best friend had a car in 2017 or 2018 that did that and she hated it.

I hate it too.  I hate that it shuts off when you stop.  Hate keyless entry.  I like to hold the key in my hand.  Hate it doesn’t have a CD player.  Why do they have to mess around with what is good?  Always messing around is annoying.  Too many changes.

• Love 2

When my mom got a new car in 2018, I told her to check that the sound system included a CD player, since a friend of mine had just bought a new car, didn't think to check, and then was pissed when she realized it didn't have one.  My mom's does, but I think it might be a single CD player, rather than a 6-disc changer like she was used to.  My car is a 2009, so I still have not only a CD changer but a cassette deck.  (And, yep, I still play some old mix tapes in the car.)

• Love 2

Back to spilling the beans, haha.  It feels good to share.  I’ve always wanted to go to Europe.  But, with 3 college tuitions, then 3 weddings, it was out of the question.  Now,  we both have health issues that stop a big trip such as that.  Blood pressures, back problems, etc.  I dreamed of taking the Med cruise thru the countries.  That’s out.  Guess we’ll just drive to local states for a few days if this damn Virus goes away.  I’ll just have to watch the Travel channel I guess.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

When my mom got a new car in 2018, I told her to check that the sound system included a CD player, since a friend of mine had just bought a new car, didn't think to check, and then was pissed when she realized it didn't have one.  My mom's does, but I think it might be a single CD player, rather than a 6-disc changer like she was used to.  My car is a 2009, so I still have not only a CD changer but a cassette deck.  (And, yep, I still play some old mix tapes in the car.)

Keep the car.  You know what you have.  You won’t like when you change.  I was too stupid to ask what features were missing.

4 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Keep the car.

It's only a 2009 (Lexus), so it's not going anywhere any time soon.  The only reason I have it instead of my 1998 (Lexus) is that my mom got the 2018 I was talking about and gave me her old car.  And I had the '98 because she'd given it to me when she got her '09; I had been driving a '92 Accord that had plenty of life left in it.  I have no interest in a car that can't run for at least 20 years.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Back to spilling the beans, haha.  It feels good to share.  I’ve always wanted to go to Europe.  But, with 3 college tuitions, then 3 weddings, it was out of the question.  Now,  we both have health issues that stop a big trip such as that.  Blood pressures, back problems, etc.  I dreamed of taking the Med cruise thru the countries.  That’s out.  Guess we’ll just drive to local states for a few days if this damn Virus goes away.  I’ll just have to watch the Travel channel I guess.

My mom was in her mid-70s when she went on a "trip of her lifetime" with one of her lifetime girl friends. They flew to Europe and took a cruise on the Rhine River and spent a couple days in Switzerland with the son of my mom's friends. She has health issues, post heart attack, diabetes, active RA. If you want to do a big trip, make it so. There are plenty of inclusive vacation companies that specialize in active and 'active lite' seniors.

• Love 7

I LOVE the keyless entry on my car, and I especially love the feature where it will automatically lock the doors when I walk away from it.  I have spent far too much energy trying to remember if I've locked the car -- usually when I've left it in an airport or train station parking lot.  Or even in the lot at Target.  And I so appreciate not having to dig for my keys every time I go back to my car when I'm running a lot of errands and am in and out of the car all day.  

Out of curiosity, why do y'all hate it when your car shuts off when you stop?  Mine does that, but I barely even notice.

I don't love that my car doesn't have a CD player.  I've been gradually dropping all my CDs to a USB, but it's slow going.  So I guess my peeve is that there's not a faster way to move music from CDs to a USB.

• Love 4

I think this came up before but breaking news that isn't breaking news.  Just turned on the 6 pm news and they start with a huge red "BREAKING NEWS" banner.  Despite myself I brace for something big and bad and instead it's to inform us that the Rideau Canal will be open for skating starting Thursday.  Honestly!!!!

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I LOVE the keyless entry on my car, and I especially love the feature where it will automatically lock the doors when I walk away from it.  I have spent far too much energy trying to remember if I've locked the car -- usually when I've left it in an airport or train station parking lot.  Or even in the lot at Target.  And I so appreciate not having to dig for my keys every time I go back to my car when I'm running a lot of errands and am in and out of the car all day.  

Out of curiosity, why do y'all hate it when your car shuts off when you stop?  Mine does that, but I barely even notice.

I don't love that my car doesn't have a CD player.  I've been gradually dropping all my CDs to a USB, but it's slow going.  So I guess my peeve is that there's not a faster way to move music from CDs to a USB.

I could have written those first two paragraphs. I got a Prius in 2007, and at some point I was driving my adult son in it, and he remarked on how it “stopped running” at red lights. “Doesn’t that drive you crazy??” So I guess that’s his pet peeve, to stay tangentially on topic. I had honestly never noticed. And I love the keyless entry/pushbutton start. 

I think it has a CD player, but I haven’t listened to anything other than radio or podcasts for so long, who knows if it still works. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

My mom was in her mid-70s when she went on a "trip of her lifetime" with one of her lifetime girl friends. They flew to Europe and took a cruise on the Rhine River and spent a couple days in Switzerland with the son of my mom's friends. She has health issues, post heart attack, diabetes, active RA. If you want to do a big trip, make it so. There are plenty of inclusive vacation companies that specialize in active and 'active lite' seniors.

That sounds fabulous.  When my oldest graduated college, she went by herself on a tour of 11 countries in 10 days with ages up to 30 by bus through the countries.  She said all busses with seniors in wheelchairs, walkers, etc. on other tours.  My husband was in the Army stationed in Europe for 18 months and said he had enough.  I’d have to go with a friend.  If I can get myself together.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Duh !  I didn’t even know it automatically locks when walking away.  I was pressing the button to lock it.  I need a vacation, seriously.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

That sounds fabulous.  When my oldest graduated college, she went by herself on a tour of 11 countries in 10 days with ages up to 30 by bus through the countries.  She said all busses with seniors in wheelchairs, walkers, etc. on other tours.  My husband was in the Army stationed in Europe for 18 months and said he had enough.  I’d have to go with a friend.  If I can get myself together.

My dad had no interest in going but he got a real kick out of her calling him from the Alps.

3 minutes ago, Silver Bells said:

Duh !  I didn’t even know it automatically locks when walking away.  I was pressing the button to lock it.  I need a vacation, seriously.

I can lock my car from my phone 😄  I can also start my car from my phone

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’m afraid it won’t start up again.  Especially when in traffic.

12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I could have written those first two paragraphs. I got a Prius in 2007, and at some point I was driving my adult son in it, and he remarked on how it “stopped running” at red lights. “Doesn’t that drive you crazy??” So I guess that’s his pet peeve, to stay tangentially on topic. I had honestly never noticed. And I love the keyless entry/pushbutton start. 

I think it has a CD player, but I haven’t listened to anything other than radio or podcasts for so long, who knows if it still works. 

So what do you do? Start it up again?

8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

So what do you do? Start it up again?

I think it starts up again when you take your foot off the brake.   And press the gas like the poster above said.  Who knows.  I just drive and don’t even remember.

Edited by Silver Bells
  • Useful 1

And this brings up one of my long term pet peeves: Car manufacturers no longer (or exceptionally rarely) make manual transmissions anymore, including for "sports cars" which means they aren't proper sports cars at all. I am driving a Honda 2004 CRV - this was the last year Honda manufactured CRVs with manual transmissions and they only made 5% of the total line for the year so when I wanted to buy one (yes, back in super early 2004) it took quite to search to find one in my area (we wound up driving over 10 hours to pick the new car up). No one makes a CRV or any sports utility with a stick shift other than Porsche from what I can tell.

Now I know most people have no interest in driving with a stick but I won't ever have a car that is an automatic - what do you do with your left leg all that time when you are driving and there is so much less control over acceleration and you can't downshift rather than braking...

Fortunately my car should last for the rest of my life (according to my mechanic who specializes in Japanese cars if you take care of them properly they are meant to never die :). My previous car was a true racing sports car: A Datsun 2000 from the early 1970s and it was awesome. But living in a snowy rural area is not a place to bring a real low slung convertible so I had to give it away 😞

• Love 3
4 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

This is true for any adult, male or female. Males in their mid-20s who don’t know how to cook or do laundry? Females in their mid-60s who don’t know their own finances and how to pay bills? All of them are likely to be in for a very rude awakening when the person who previously did this for them is no longer willing or able to continue babying them. Barring some kind of cognitive impairment, these and similar activities are things ALL adults should be able to do themselves. In my mother’s generation, too many women were taught to rely solely on their husbands to handle all financial decisions and obligations. To this day, too many boys are still taught that domestic  tasks are the responsibility of their mothers, sisters, girlfriends, and wives. 

I highly recommend, for anyone, getting a couple of small books from Amazon or other bookstores: one is a password book that has space to write your online accounts, with user names and passwords, so that if you forget them, it’s an easy reference, and if the normal bill-payer in the household isn’t available, someone else can do it. The other is a book (several variations available) that is essentially “I’m Dead; Now What?”; it contains spaces for critical information that family members would need in the event of a spouse’s/parent’s death, all in one place rather than having to search through a laptop or physical files. While purchasing these and filling them out doesn’t change the division of responsibility between couples or parents/children, it does make it easier for survivors to keep the household going without having the power cut off because nobody knows where the bills are and how the bills are normally paid. 

I found the "I'm Dead, Now What?" on Azon, and it's described as a man's journey in Jamaica, as his father dies.  Is this the one that has archival space as well?

1 hour ago, isalicat said:

And this brings up one of my long term pet peeves: Car manufacturers no longer (or exceptionally rarely) make manual transmissions anymore, including for "sports cars" which means they aren't proper sports cars at all. I am driving a Honda 2004 CRV - this was the last year Honda manufactured CRVs with manual transmissions and they only made 5% of the total line for the year so when I wanted to buy one (yes, back in super early 2004) it took quite to search to find one in my area (we wound up driving over 10 hours to pick the new car up). No one makes a CRV or any sports utility with a stick shift other than Porsche from what I can tell.

Now I know most people have no interest in driving with a stick but I won't ever have a car that is an automatic - what do you do with your left leg all that time when you are driving and there is so much less control over acceleration and you can't downshift rather than braking...

Fortunately my car should last for the rest of my life (according to my mechanic who specializes in Japanese cars if you take care of them properly they are meant to never die :). My previous car was a true racing sports car: A Datsun 2000 from the early 1970s and it was awesome. But living in a snowy rural area is not a place to bring a real low slung convertible so I had to give it away 😞

I was sad that I couldn't get another manual Honda when my old car (2003 Civic, manual, that replaced a 1989 Corolla, also manual) got too close to death for my comfort.  I have a long commute or I might not have worried about it breaking down.  I definitely miss the manual when I have to drive up the hill to my house on snowy days.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

I highly recommend, for anyone, getting a couple of small books from Amazon or other bookstores: one is a password book that has space to write your online accounts, with user names and passwords, so that if you forget them, it’s an easy reference, and if the normal bill-payer in the household isn’t available, someone else can do it. The other is a book (several variations available) that is essentially “I’m Dead; Now What?”; it contains spaces for critical information that family members would need in the event of a spouse’s/parent’s death, all in one place rather than having to search through a laptop or physical files. While purchasing these and filling them out doesn’t change the division of responsibility between couples or parents/children, it does make it easier for survivors to keep the household going without having the power cut off because nobody knows where the bills are and how the bills are normally paid. 

I will also suggest to any adults or adult children to talk about getting them added as an authorized person who can call in about their account. When I was home earlier this year I was helping my mom look at their cell phone account because she said their bill was ridiculous. Well I identified some extra insurance they didn't need on their ancient phones as well as some BS cloud storage fee Verizon started charging 2 years ago. But when we called Verizon they wouldn't talk to us because.... my mom was never added to the account. We called back when my dad got home, added my mom and they were able to add me as someone who was authorized to speak to VZ about the account. When I go home in May the plan is to do the same for their utilities, credit cards, bank and safety deposit boxes. I won't be added onto the account in any way except as someone who can talk to the CSRs.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

My peeve this week is online order tracking; if a carrier is not going to update it in real-time, why have it at all? I am waiting for my new glasses and losing my mind (that’s a whole other peeve; my previous new pair of progressives sucks and I have to tilt my head so far back to see up close all day that I ordered another pair with just the closeup Rx to save my neck!). I contacted the carrier and they said, “Oh, we have no info—contact the sender,” which I did, which is how I learned that the carrier updated only every couple of days! I need to see to work, man! 

I have the same pet peeve too.  I ordered something recently and when I’d try to track the package there was no update.   It didn’t update for a week and that update was the day it was supposed to be delivered, it said it would arrive the next day.  In the past there would be regular updates. Aren’t they scanning these packages in at each facility?  I hope so. 

• Love 2

It’s crazy! And the carrier saying they had no info was just dumb, considering that my inquiry was basically “why have shipping updates seem to have stopped?” and not “why haven’t they started at all?” Meaning they DID have a record of at some point.

Either way, they got here this afternoon. Which doesn’t explain the bad shipping update system, but did make my eyes feel so much better!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Thanks guys! I had a car that used to stall at red lights so you tales of terror were freaking me out.

OMG .. me too.  It used to stall out in the middle lane on a highway.  The car lost all power and the steering.  It as something electrical and happened a few times while I had my baby in the back seat.  Plus, I had no cell phone then and had to find a public phone.  A horror!  Got rid of it pronto.  

• Love 2

Our upstairs neighbors are the worst. They are a youngish Latino/Latina couple with a toddler. I think one if them is home sometimes during the day, but never with the kid. Most days, they all come home about 9:30 or 10pm and proceed to be as loud as possible until at least midnight or 1am. They're not home when I get up and going for work from home at 8am.

My boyfriend goes to bed by 10pm because he gets up by 5am for work. Several nights, he has had to go upstairs and ask them to turn down their music. They were going until 4:30 on New Year's Eve, but I mentally let that night go. They had a friend over one night last week and my boyfriend was beside himself because their music was loud all night until he got up for work.

I wear earplugs every night because my boyfriend snores like a timber mill. It's horrible (and he won't see a sleep doctor, which is a whole other peeve). The upside is I generally don't hear the noise from upstairs if I fall asleep before they start up, but I don't fall asleep quickly or sleep very deeply.

So the latest thing is the kid has a metal or wooden ball that it drops from what sounds like his/her head height onto the hard floor so that it bounces a couple times, and s/he does this over and over and over and over every night from 10 to midnight.

I've left them a note before, my boyfriend's talked to them several times, and today I left another note that I used Google Translate to write in Spanish. (We know they speak Spanish from my boyfriend's interactions with them.) I'm fully aware that it probably wasn't a "speaker's" translation, and that they probably laughed at it, but I'm/we're trying to communicate with them that they are being too loud, the sound travels and it's keeping us up. The leasing office supposedly talked to them, but again tonight, that kid is making that damn bouncing clanking sound. The kid squeals at the top of his/her lungs when s/he he does it too. Grrrrr!!!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I found the "I'm Dead, Now What?" on Azon, and it's described as a man's journey in Jamaica, as his father dies.  Is this the one that has archival space as well?

No, it’s categorized as an end of life planner. Similar titles include “Sorry for your loss, it’s me” and “Shit you”ll need when I’m gone.”

• Useful 2

This is via a weird catalog I discovered upon having a neighbor's mail misdelivered, but this is the "I'm Dead, Now What?" planner (complete with fabulous toe tag cover image) and its boring "Peace of Mind" counterpart for organizing what your executor will need to know when you croak.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

But when we called Verizon they wouldn't talk to us because.... my mom was never added to the account. We called back when my dad got home, added my mom and they were able to add me as someone who was authorized to speak to VZ about the account.

Not suggesting anyone try this, but..... A few years ago, I needed to speak with a company about their service to my office.  They wouldn't talk to me, because I wasn't "on the account".  I said "Oh, you need to speak with Mary, the authorized user?"  "Yes."  I transferred the call to other extension, picked up the phone and said "This is Mary.  Quof says you need to speak with me about this issue?"   They then told me everything I needed to know. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 13
5 hours ago, Quof said:

Not suggesting anyone try this, but..... A few years ago, I needed to speak with a company about their service to my office.  They wouldn't talk to me, because I wasn't "on the account".  I said "Oh, you need to speak with Mary, the authorized user?"  "Yes."  I transferred the call to other extension, picked up the phone and said "This is Mary.  Quof says you need to speak with me about this issue?"   They then told me everything I needed to know. 

I had to do this with our cable service a few years ago.  For some reason we only had my husband's name on the account.  I needed to make some changes when he was overseas on business.  They wouldn't let me do anything because they needed to speak directly to him.  I passed the phone to my son...honestly  do these people not realize how easy it actually is to bypass this condition??

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Shelbie said:

They absolutely do realize but it is done for employees  protection. Any internal notes would say they spoke to the account holder and therefore can’t get in trouble.

I can see that but it's still infuriating.  They make things more difficult for the consumer in the guise of "protecting" their account but in reality that's not the case at all.

• Love 1

Let's try to keep this discussion to our Pet Peeves and not meandering conversations of things related to a Pet Peeve.

It is okay to take a thought from here and start up a new conversation in Chit Chat, the Relationship or Family threads, or wherever it would be most appropriate.

• Love 1

A pet peeve of mine is men who are aggressive asking women out. 

I was asked out at the grocery store by another customer. I said I was flattered but turned him down. I don't even like giving my number out to strangers. The exception would perhaps be a super hot stranger. I can't see this guy's face due to his mask, but he doesn't appear to be my type. I ran into him a second time, and he asked me a ton of personal questions and tried to ask me out again. Guys, please don't be pushy with women you don't know. You say you think I'm really pretty, I'm flattered, although you can't even see most of my face at the moment. So I don't even know why you're that interested in me. You want to know my name, where I work, my number, my social media, if I live with someone, I'm creeped out. A lot of women have experienced stalkers of some sort. Safety is a legitimate concern. If you just must date someone asap, try a dating app and let women shop in peace.  

• Love 12
On 1/23/2021 at 2:26 PM, theredhead77 said:

I had Sirius for a year and just cancelled it. Their lowest rate which you can get if you're persistent is $4.99/mo or $70ish for a year.

And thanks to you, @theredhead77, when I read this, I immediately called them up and said why couldn't I continue with the 4.99/month? Especially with COVID, and the person I spoke to a couple months ago informed me there were no more such promotions? And the only plan they had tripled what I paid after my free trial ended? It was ridiculous. So, if they couldn't continue it, I was cancelling.

Took all of five minutes. I wasn't rude. I'm the least rude/abrasive person around. I worked in retail/customer service during my teens to early adulthood and dealt with all kinds of personalities--from the nicest, to the befuddled, to the nastiest, entitled, etc. I'm good with people because I don't condescend to them.

And the irony is, when I was a bank teller? The most nastiest and orneriest would continue to come to my window because I was forthright and honest with them and didn't let their threats intimidate me. Though that was weird because I was a wuss (still am to a point) and so very nonconfrontational.

Ahem. 

I digress.  Anyhoo, thank you for your post, because now I can listen to my stations on my phone since they have an app. 😁

• Love 4

Peeve! Spray bottles lately! I feel like they all malfunction at some point and just won’t spray anymore even though there’s still a ton of whatever product is in them! Why? It is 2021: surely we have mastered this technology!

And as for men who do that, Real Housewife, they get on my nerves too! I’m not upset by a guy making a try (despite what so-called “nice guys” say about not even being allowed to say anything to women in this day and age); I judge them on how they act after they’re turned down. 

So, guess another peeve is people who say “you can’t say anything to anyone anymore!”

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Peeve! Spray bottles lately! I feel like they all malfunction at some point and just won’t spray anymore even though there’s still a ton of whatever product is in them! Why? It is 2021: surely we have mastered this technology!

Try running the nozzle under hot water while pulling the spray trigger. That's how I unclog my hairspray and other hair products.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

A pet peeve of mine is men who are aggressive asking women out. 

I was asked out at the grocery store by another customer. I said I was flattered but turned him down. I don't even like giving my number out to strangers. The exception would perhaps be a super hot stranger. I can't see this guy's face due to his mask, but he doesn't appear to be my type. I ran into him a second time, and he asked me a ton of personal questions and tried to ask me out again. Guys, please don't be pushy with women you don't know. You say you think I'm really pretty, I'm flattered, although you can't even see most of my face at the moment. So I don't even know why you're that interested in me. You want to know my name, where I work, my number, my social media, if I live with someone, I'm creeped out. A lot of women have experienced stalkers of some sort. Safety is a legitimate concern. If you just must date someone asap, try a dating app and let women shop in peace.  

I once had a man follow me around the grocery store saying the most vile things you can imagine. I ignored him and just got on with my shopping. Finally he cornered me in the dairy section. A young worker noticed and came over and chased the man away. When my DH rejoined me (he was shopping in another part of the store) I was in tears. I couldn't even tell him what the guy said. Then I went there another day by myself. He was there again and he did the same thing. This time a manager swooped in and not only kicked him out, he banned him from ever coming in that store again.

I’ve tried it all — even buying empty bottles and dumping the cleaner or whatever into them (like a crazy person). I think being home so much is making it worse, because now I don’t clean on an as-needed basis and/or over the weekend; now I’m jumping up from my desk to randomly scrub something in between jobs! Like a crazy person.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I once had a man follow me around the grocery store saying the most vile things you can imagine. I ignored him and just got on with my shopping. Finally he cornered me in the dairy section. A young worker noticed and came over and chased the man away. When my DH rejoined me (he was shopping in another part of the store) I was in tears. I couldn't even tell him what the guy said. Then I went there another day by myself. He was there again and he did the same thing. This time a manager swooped in and not only kicked him out, he banned him from ever coming in that store again.

Good on the manager. Sorry you had to deal with that.

When I worked at a bookstore, I had a customer following me around as I was shelving stuff, too. He wasn't making vile comments, thankfully, but he just seemed to keep wanting to have a conversation about this and that with me, and kept talking about these various celebrities in a way that made it seem like he knew them or had met them or something, like he thought he would impress me, and so on. It took a while before I could finally break away from him, and then I think he tried to pull the same thing with another co-worker, but it didn't work.

Yeah. There be some very weird, very creepy people out there. 

• Love 3
On 1/26/2021 at 11:12 PM, bilgistic said:

Our upstairs neighbors are the worst. They are a youngish Latino/Latina couple with a toddler. I think one if them is home sometimes during the day, but never with the kid. Most days, they all come home about 9:30 or 10pm and proceed to be as loud as possible until at least midnight or 1am. They're not home when I get up and going for work from home at 8am.

My boyfriend goes to bed by 10pm because he gets up by 5am for work. Several nights, he has had to go upstairs and ask them to turn down their music. They were going until 4:30 on New Year's Eve, but I mentally let that night go. They had a friend over one night last week and my boyfriend was beside himself because their music was loud all night until he got up for work.

I wear earplugs every night because my boyfriend snores like a timber mill. It's horrible (and he won't see a sleep doctor, which is a whole other peeve). The upside is I generally don't hear the noise from upstairs if I fall asleep before they start up, but I don't fall asleep quickly or sleep very deeply.

So the latest thing is the kid has a metal or wooden ball that it drops from what sounds like his/her head height onto the hard floor so that it bounces a couple times, and s/he does this over and over and over and over every night from 10 to midnight.

I've left them a note before, my boyfriend's talked to them several times, and today I left another note that I used Google Translate to write in Spanish. (We know they speak Spanish from my boyfriend's interactions with them.) I'm fully aware that it probably wasn't a "speaker's" translation, and that they probably laughed at it, but I'm/we're trying to communicate with them that they are being too loud, the sound travels and it's keeping us up. The leasing office supposedly talked to them, but again tonight, that kid is making that damn bouncing clanking sound. The kid squeals at the top of his/her lungs when s/he he does it too. Grrrrr!!!

I totally get you.  I HATE NOISE.  I’ve sold houses twice because of noise.  It makes me nervous.  I sleep with a sound machine next to my ear.  I’ve had air conditioner noise next door, barking dogs, and a weight lifter dropping the weights on the driveway.  I make my husband go and talk to these people.  In my next life, I will buy a home in the woods away from people.  Your people upstairs are out of line.  The law is no noise after 10 p.m. of any kind.  Just move.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Silver Bells said:

I totally get you.  I HATE NOISE.  I’ve sold houses twice because of noise.

We must have been separated at birth.  Same for me.  When my kids were teens and into the "you call that music??" phase I used to tell them "if I can hear it it's too loud".  You can control your own home - somewhat - but not the neighbours.  In the days when we shared walls we were mostly lucky but there were a few memorable occasions.  The worst was the guy next door who must have had some kind of weight lifting equipment that he only seemed to use just as we were trying to go to bed.  He was also a heavy smoker and we ended up moving when the smoke started infiltrating our apartment.  The landlord said we should talk to the guy ourselves and ask him to stop smoking in the apartment but the idea of asking him to stop doing something he was perfectly entitled to be doing just didn't seem like a good idea to us.

• Love 3

I used to wonder WTF my upstairs neighbors were doing that always sounded like a herd of elephants. Then I bought a 2 story house and realized my 10 pound kitty cats sound like a herd of elephants when they are catting. I was totally *that* neighbor when living on a floor with people under me and I had no idea.

My current pet peeve is the weather. We're going from hot to cold to massive winds to pouring rain. My poor allergies are going bonkers. 

Edited by theredhead77
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

We must have been separated at birth.  Same for me.  When my kids were teens and into the "you call that music??" phase I used to tell them "if I can hear it it's too loud".  You can control your own home - somewhat - but not the neighbours.  In the days when we shared walls we were mostly lucky but there were a few memorable occasions.  The worst was the guy next door who must have had some kind of weight lifting equipment that he only seemed to use just as we were trying to go to bed.  He was also a heavy smoker and we ended up moving when the smoke started infiltrating our apartment.  The landlord said we should talk to the guy ourselves and ask him to stop smoking in the apartment but the idea of asking him to stop doing something he was perfectly entitled to be doing just didn't seem like a good idea to us.

We sold property adjoining our backyard.  An asshole builder built a monstrosity house with a swimming pool with a big filter.  The humongous air conditioner and pool filter on 24 hrs .. put me over the edge.  I couldn’t even sit on my deck anymore.  Sold the house.  Now we are in a condo and share a bedroom wall with the jerk next door.  He lifts weights in his bedroom at night.  BANG, BANG on the floor.  Some people have no consideration for others.  If you tell them in a nice way, they still don’t look at you anymore.  Nothing bothers my husband, just me, lol.  I feel better knowing I’m not the only one. 😀

1 hour ago, Silver Bells said:

We sold property adjoining our backyard.  An asshole builder built a monstrosity house with a swimming pool with a big filter.  The humongous air conditioner and pool filter on 24 hrs .. put me over the edge.  I couldn’t even sit on my deck anymore.  Sold the house.  Now we are in a condo and share a bedroom wall with the jerk next door.  He lifts weights in his bedroom at night.  BANG, BANG on the floor.  Some people have no consideration for others.  If you tell them in a nice way, they still don’t look at you anymore.  Nothing bothers my husband, just me, lol.  I feel better knowing I’m not the only one. 😀

If he doesn't own that condo, I would get in touch with whoever does. That absolutely will wreck the floors.

In my next life, I will buy a home in the woods away from people.

Then it will be howling coyotes, screeching birds and the sound of angry critters fighting. It is difficult to find utter silence.

• Love 1