Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: The Gang Beats Boggs

• Start Topic

I spoiled myself with the appearance of Wade Boggs as a hallucination. I only caught the opening act, and I was all, "Hey, I wonder if they have a screencap of the gang with the hashmarks, 'cause I can make a Doctor Who joke with it." And BANG! Charlie with a fit-looking Wade Boggs. Oh, well. BTW, I noticed that the "B" on his cap is different from the Red Sox version. Major League Baseball probably wants nothing to do with the Gang.

I have to admit, I might have missed some bits because I was turning away. I guess that's what makes a great cringe comedy. I found most of the stuff to be on point . . . especially Dennis's intuition on how to "get" with women. Of course he picks the wrong woman. Of course he takes his chances in North Dakota. It's amazing how close to the edge he can get and still be funny.

Seriously, how did the (production) gang get Wade? "Yeah, there's an urban legend about how you drank all this beer on a cross-country flight. We want to base an episode around it, and add stuff like the Mile High Club and Danny DeVito drooling. Up for a cameo as a hallucination?" And going 3-for-5 against the Mariners? If that's in the mid-Eighties, that was a cinch. Sober, he probably could've gone 5-for-5.

ETA: What other sporting event could the Paddy's Gang parallel next? Getting piss drunk the night before pitching a perfect game, like David Wells did with the Yankees? I'm assuming they're Phillies fans and wouldn't hate the Yanks like Mets fans do.

• Love 1

I am pretty sure the actor who played Boss Hog has died, but I laughed at Dee confusibg the two. Is thee really an urban legend about Wade Boggs?

Leave it to Frank to not know about the "mile high club" and make his own version.

As usual, Dennis continues to horrify but amuse me.

• Love 1

Loved the episode. It is hard to believe Boggs appeared on the show, must have a good sense of humor about himself.

Loved Charlie being confused and thinking boggs was dead.

I cant believe anyone could drink 50 beers on a cross country flight. Thats a beer every 5-6 minutes. Most I ever did period in any time frame in college was about 15.

• Love 1

Not only is the urban legend real, Charlie Day says that Wade Boggs says it was actually 107 beers. For what it's worth, that tally includes drinking after a baseball game, on the ride to the airport, during a layover, and all the way to a party afterwards. Still seems unlikely, though. There's also a story about an Australian cricket player who drank 52 beers on a flight to London. That one has more witnesses. They made the pilot circle the airport a few times to make time for the last couple of beers!

• Love 1

I just overlooked it for the sake of the story, but I can't imagine an airline letting them get away with 90% of the stuff they did on that flight.  I know they had some hidden beers on the checked bags, but did they also bring some beers on the plane themselves? 

• Love 1

It killed me that they were in a 767 (?) sized plane (one with two walking aisles) and the route was Philly-Bismark-LA.  As if that would happen. 

All of Charlie's lines at the end were perfect and perfectly delivered. "California, USA" is a drunk thing that this going to make it into my vocabulary.

• Love 1

I've missed the show so much, and this was a great first episode to start off a new season. Charlie talking at the end was hilarious, Mac just adding more and more parts to the challenge so everyone would listen to him, perfect. The Dee/Boss Hogg thing was awesome, especially the hallucination and that poor couple next to her. Dennis was Dennis, but I was glad they kind of toned down Frank- he just lets himself go when he's acting, and sometimes it gets very ugly/too gross for me.

• Love 1

I just overlooked it for the sake of the story, but I can't imagine an airline letting them get away with 90% of the stuff they did on that flight.  I know they had some hidden beers on the checked bags, but did they also bring some beers on the plane themselves? 

I actually liked that.  It added a nice surrealism to the episode.

Oh yeah. No way they get away with 99% let alone 90. I actually got cut off on Southwest and I maybe had 10. But they only cut me off for like 15 minutes because *everyone* was drunk and we were all mainly laughing and having a good time. Dee put her foot into the flight attendant's chest to ward her off.

I drank 24 beers over about 16 hours or so once and I mean, it took all my strength. Dee is a tiny woman. She would have died! I could totally buy that is the kind of drunk she is though, looking so worn out. Charlie looks my size. I could never do it because I'd have to get up and pee so much. 

I liked Dennis' nonchalance when the woman snorted the pill. 

What was Dennis's line that went something like "she's wearing a mini skirt so she won't know she's in danger until it's too late"?

Ubiquitous, it was even grosser. Something like, "If she stood up, you'd see she has no visible panty lines..." and then something about the step-saving ease of access and element of surprise as you noted.

Ah, Dennis. Never change.