Type keyword(s) to search

The Crazy Ones - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I certainly enjoy it. Most definitely my fave of the new things this season. Had some reservations after the pilot, but some tweaks to Simon fixed  them. Sadly, I guess it's expected to be canceled over at TV By The Numbers.

For me, Crazy Ones had some real ups and downs.  The Pilot was awful.  The second episode was about 20 times better, then a few of the next were down a bit again.

But by mid-run they'd locked it down and were turning out good product every time.

I'd rate it as third best of the new season, after The Goldbergs and Brooklyn Nine Nine.  FAR superior to shitty shows like The Millers or Mom.

I really like the chemistry of this cast, even if the scripts are uneven.  Felt that Brad Garrett sucked the life out of the show when he was on, though.

The best part, IMO, are the outtakes b/c they look like they are having a lot of fun on set.

• Love 2

Okay, I think I'm in love with Josh Groban.  Danny needs to keep showing up as a recurring character because Josh is wonderful on this show.  When it got to the reveal that his grudge against Brad Paisley was because of his rejection on Not!AmericanIdol I lost it so bad the cat was actually growling at me because I was making too much noise.

• Love 2

Josh Groban as Danny Chase is a funny character. My wife who loves his singing was just shaking her head. Him not wanting to work with Brad Paisley and Brad not even knowing who he was was funny. Brad making fun of himself was good too.

The BBQ tasting was funny. I figured Lauren would beat Simon too. I liked the talking BBQ bottle too.

It was a little funny where Lauren tried to take Sydneys assistant Allie. Sydney warning Zach to stay away was cute. Then I definately called it when they found out Andrew asked her out.

Then he broke her heart and then made her happy on the 2nd date. Hopefully she will stay around.

Also liked the out takes with Andrew.

• Love 1

Pam Dawber as Lily,was short lived. They start out that they are dating which seemed odd. Then we didn't see her until Simon broke it off. But She did a good job. Maybe she will return.

Didn't like that it mostly was about Gordon's relationship and not Simon's. Gordon's plug for NCIS(Mark Harmon, Pam's hubbies show) was nice. Simon letting him stay over was funny at times too. Then the barryokee, lol The 2 with Timothy singing was cute.

Jean after Andrew and then they put her on Sydney was funny. But like the assistant Allie was hot last week and this week MIA., Jean will probably be a 1 time visitor.

Zack, Andrew and Lauren together was good. Also the computer glasses was funny. Gordon later using them to impress that couple(Neal/Anna) was funny too.

The David Copperfield scenes were ok. Then the out takes were funny. Did Pam say Nanu Nanu?

So, we've had Pam Dawber visit.  I was thinking about other guests I'd like to see.  If we're going to the well of co-stars from previous shows that our stars have been on, I'd go with Sigourney Weaver - James's mom on Political Animals; and I keep thinking she and Robin Williams worked together, but can't recall if I'm right - and Anthony Head from Buffy.  She could reprise the James's mom thing, with Head could be his father.  (Now I don't recall: have we met his family?)

This show is just so sweet. But I don't know what the lynching was about - was Gordon supposed to be Frankenstein? Or just a generic monster?

I so hope it survives. 

ETA: Too bad Dillon turned out to be gay. He was dreamy. 

Edited by romantic idiot
  • Love 1

47 million dollars. Ha! Nice speech there. I was puzzled about Sydney not being an equity partner. Then what was her name up there as Lewis, Roberts & Roberts? 

SMG having to stand on the box for the kiss was hilarious. And sweet. This show is so darn nice and appealing !!

Too bad Dillon turned out to be gay. He was dreamy.

I agree about Dillon being dreamy - but I was happy about him being gay. For one wonderful moment, I thought it might lead to Zach coming out as bisexual, but I guess they think we're still not ready for a truly bi male main character on a network sitcom, even in 2014. Such a shame - Wolk could play the hell out of it.

Edited by giovannif7
  • Love 2

But I don't know what the lynching was about - was Gordon supposed to be Frankenstein? Or just a generic monster?

Brad Garrett, being 6' 14", can look like Frankenstein's monster when he's lumbering around. He was lurching from the fire (due to having been stuck under the podium, and the peasants w/ pitchforks (as he told the newsperson during the interview) were chasing him. So, yes, an homage to Mary Shelley's story.

First in "The Monster", thought it was nice to try and save the Library. Simon reading to the kids, was funny. Even if they didn't like it as much as he did.

Thought Gordon's face on the Poster was funny. Then the protestors with the torches chasing him was like "Young Frankenstein" . Then hiding in the Church Tower was Quasimoto. Lol. The Gayle King interview was funny. Dillon was nice, and him and Zach remained friends. Sydney it was to bad he was gay for her.

" The Lighthouse" Allie back and dating Andrew. I feel bad for her later when Andrew is kissed by Sydney. But Zach got used by the soon to be married hot Megan. But he liked Allie first so if she comes back, who knows. Maybe Andrew turned down Sydney, wasn't sure. It was great for Sydney to finally show Andrew what she wants. Andrew "Ebinezer Scrooge" in bed with Zach and Megan was funny, especially the outtake. lol "Zandrew" bromance was funny.

It was funny seeing Simon and Paige his ex hugging first time. Didn't like that she was not ttuthful to Sydney. But at end she smartened up. It was funny she was forgettable. Marilu Henner is one that consults on the show "Unforgettable" She is one that remembers everything. The playing Simon against Gordon was kinda funny at first. But then Simon sleeping with her should have won it for him. Paige using both to give them her vote. Glad Simon got the vote in his favor.

Both sets of out takes had some funny parts.

Hope it isn't cancelled too. Like also Enlisted and Michael J Fox, but I know that one is gone. Intelligence and The Mentalist is on my short list too.

Edited by webruce

47 million dollars. Ha! Nice speech there. I was puzzled about Sydney not being an equity partner. 

Yeah, the name of the firm doesn't make much sense then, does it?

BTW: anyone else like the ending theme music more than the opening?

This was a good finale, especially since Episode 21 was a bit lacking, and the one last week (Ep. 20) was just plain horrible.

• Love 1

This had a few good jokes, but was a bit dull otherwise.

Thankfully the actual finale was a bit better (and even this one was far superior to "Love Sucks", which was just putrid).

Edited by Kromm
For one wonderful moment, I thought it might lead to Zach coming out as bisexual, but I guess they think we're still not ready for a truly bi male main character on a network sitcom, even in 2014.

I actually liked it better that they showed a (very) hetero guy having no problem at all with hanging out with a gay man as a friend.

• Love 1

I actually liked it better that they showed a (very) hetero guy having no problem at all with hanging out with a gay man as a friend.

I was fine with that until Zach thew in the "I think I can turn him... into a friend" line. That got my eyes rolling - yeah, that's going to work as well as the old trope of straight women thinking they can change straight men. I'd much rather have seen them take a real chance and go somewhere new (for TV.)

• Love 1

I was fine with that until Zach thew in the "I think I can turn him... into a friend" line. That got my eyes rolling - yeah, that's going to work as well as the old trope of straight women thinking they can change straight men. I'd much rather have seen them take a real chance and go somewhere new (for TV.)

Admittedly it was a groaner of a line, but I don't think it was a real intention to turn someone's sexuality.  It was more in the nature of a cheap opportunistic pun.

• Love 1

I just caught up on the end of the show this weekend (I was delaying it as long as possible).  HATED that they wasted Pam Freaking Dawber on the B-plot!  I thought she did a good job with what they gave her to work with, but she should have had more than those few short scenes.  OTOH, I loved that they worked in that "you're like an... alien!" line at the end.

I wasn't sure if Pam said "Nanu nanu" or not. 

What horrible news.... The man was brilliantly talented. I don't know why this show didn't catch on, but I'm glad we got to see it.

Me too - I really liked the show and am shocked to hear about Robin Williams' passing.  It's just so sad.

Edited by raven

This is such sad news.  I was a fan of his since he first appeared on Happy Days.  Mork and Mindy was must see tv for me, and so was The Crazy Ones.  There isn't anyone else like him - no one touted as "The Next Robin Williams" no one who could be described as a "Robin Williams type."   He is irreplaceable and will be missed.

According to the article I read, he had been battling depression recently.  His career was doing well (The Crazy Ones was cancelled, but he had plenty of other stuff going on, according to IMdB) and he was financially well off.  He was a man who brought so many laughs to so many people, a man who saw the humor in everything.  And he was depressed enough to take his own life.  It proves that depression can happen to anyone.

• Love 1

I loved a lot of Robin Williams' earlier work, but I have to admit that I had kind of gotten over him for a while there. I loved him and the way he interacted with his fellow cast members on this show, though. It was this show that reignited my appreciation of Williams, and for that I'll forever be grateful to this very enjoyable and cancelled too soon gem of a show.

He made our lives a lot better with his gift. I can only hope he's finally found a little bit of peace.

• Love 3

I am very sad to hear about this.  I've been a fan since the Mork and Mindy days and there have been very few of his movies that I didn't enjoy.  I loved his standup and he was one of the few talk show guests that I'd make an effort to watch, regardless of the host.  I know there was some concern that he would be "Robin Williams" and take over on The Crazy Ones, but I think he quickly settled into being a part of an ensemble.  One of the highlights in my household was watching the outtakes at the end, because it made it clear to me that the entire cast was having a blast.  

• Love 2

This is so shocking and so sad. I feel so sad for his wife, children, family and friends. It's tragic how so many comics/comedians who bring such joy and laughter to others have demons and dark places and ultimately lose the battle. RIP.

• Love 2

How did I not know that Robin suffered with depression?  Sigh.  I am so saddened by this news.  I'm glad that I watched this show while it was on.  From all of the outtakes and interviews, he seemed to be enjoying it.  It's so sad to know that while he brought joy to his fans, all of that despair was right there beneath the surface.  How sad that his family will now have to deal with the emotional turmoil a suicide brings.   

• Love 3

I know it is weird to be knocked back about the death of someone you never knew, but this knocked me back a few steps today.

I didn't really get into this show, but did watch for the reunion with Pam Dawber (for those much younger than me, Mindy, of Mork & Mindy). 

Here's a a link to an interview with her about that episode and her thoughts on Williams.  I'm glad this show existed so that they got to have that reunion. 

• Love 2

I loved this show and was crushed when it was cancelled. I thought it was the perfect vehicle for Robin's wackiness/creativity, and to me, the show worked.

To say he was a genius is an understatement.

• Love 4

As a huge fan of both RW and SMG,  I really wanted to like this show but something about it just didn't work for me. To echo what others have said, the outtakes were the best part of the show.  Maybe they should have just turned the cameras on and aired whatever the actors decided to do on set.  

I will always remember  Williams as Mrs. Doubtfire and as Genie.  What a loss to the world of such a talented man.