Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: A Fat Girl Dancing

• Start Topic

What was all of that trash is her car? Bags and bags full of it? The only thing I can think of, is that it's fast food wrappers. I hate how Whitney blames all of her weight gain on PCOS..doesn't she think that maybe she might be over eating just a tad too? Until she accepts that she is partly to blame for the weight gain, I have little hope she will lose any period.

• Love 1

What was all of that trash is her car? Bags and bags full of it? The only thing I can think of, is that it's fast food wrappers. I hate how Whitney blames all of her weight gain on PCOS..doesn't she think that maybe she might be over eating just a tad too? Until she accepts that she is partly to blame for the weight gain, I have little hope she will lose any period.

I agree & I didn't believe I watched the show this week. I was hoping it was going to get better. WRONG. I couldn't believe how she she acted when her dad asked her what she did all day & she said she "teaches" dance. It looks like it's an hour class, possibly 2-3 days a week & not a 9-5 job. What else does she do, besides reading hate mail & taking the cat to the groomers? Good grief! I also didn't need to see her in just the sports bra & yoga pants when she was teaching the class the second time. Regarding the pants splitting, I'm sure there are looser cotton pants out there for her to wear. Why does she have to wear the tight fitting ones- no wonder she has that rash thing, which we also didn't need to see.

I do like Babs. Thought it was funny when she found (I take it spoiled, unopened) yogurt in the car that was her favorite flavor.

I read some of Whitney's blog and also saw her on Facebook and decided to follow her, not friend her. Was she an English teacher over in Korea for a few years and then 

after the job ended, she came back home to do her radio show and now tv show?

Also, it looks like she was engaged to be married when she was 22. I guess that relationship didn't work out.

It also annoyed me that she was so "pissed" that it took until age 21 to be diagnosed. It took me 7 years, and I had to listen to doctors tell me I was crazy, that maybe I should stop shoveling food in my mouth, the whole nine yards.

And here's where I get lost with her story... I don't understand what she's been doing to manage her PCOS for the 9 years since her diagnosis. The narrative of the show is more like that of someone who's just recently been diagnosed, and all of the coming changes she's going to have to make to adjust, but I'm not seeing that at all.   

I'm with a lot of posters here in that I have PCOS and it took almost 15 years to diagnose and I was one of the very thin women with it and had to strong arm my doctor to even consider it, even though I knew almost nothing about it. I understand the frustration that comes with food and exercise and reproductive health being just so much more difficult with PCOS, but at some point (and a decade is a pretty good length of time), you have to accept that it's already happened and you have it and you have some control over how hard this illness will be on you, even though it sucks and it's unfair. 

She discusses it a bit in her blog http://nobodyshame.c...woman-in-korea/

That's enlightening to read because she sounds much more grounded and educated and honest in that piece, way more so than on the show. I never would have known the two were the same person.

She used to be bulimic. The trash in her car worries me. I hope she's not binging and purging. On an episode of True Life, there was a bulimic who would drive around to different fast food restaurants and binge and purge because she lived with her parents and didn't want to bring food into the house and make them suspicious.

Ahhh! That is bringing back some rough memories from True Life and Intervention and stored ziploc bags... NOOO!

• Love 1

Having PCOS myself, I was stunned when I watched the show and she claimed PCOS was the sole reason she put on 100 lbs in a year.  I have always struggled with my weight, and I've had to watch what I eat and stay active my whole life. I'm sure PCOS plays a part in Whitney's weight gain, but her inactivity and eating habits probably have more to do with it. 

As an obese woman myself, every time she blamed it on PCOS it irritated me.  Yes, it is legitimate, but I agree that is not the sole reason for her size.  I exercise quite regularly, but rarely lose weight because I'm still struggling with the food. I feel like they're making her this poster child for PCOS when it appears to be more than that.

Edited by DanaMB
  • Love 2
On 1/14/2015 at 9:22 AM, momofsquid said:

Love Babs to death. We need more Babs.

Babs should have her own show!  Did you notice when she said, "When I found out Whitney was moving back home, all I could say was, here we go again!"  

• Love 1

I never saw season 1 because I low-key hated Whitney just from the previews when the show started. Anyway, I just watched the pilot episode out of curiosity (SO many things I’d love to say about that mess!) and I’m just curious how Whitney can be wearing a NoBS shirt in episode 1?? I usually get really bored by this show and don’t pay attention, so I may have just missed something!

1 hour ago, Mommygetz said:

I never saw season 1 because I low-key hated Whitney just from the previews when the show started. Anyway, I just watched the pilot episode out of curiosity (SO many things I’d love to say about that mess!) and I’m just curious how Whitney can be wearing a NoBS shirt in episode 1?? I usually get really bored by this show and don’t pay attention, so I may have just missed something!

My guess is she had some shirts made when she started her “No Body Shame” campaign in 2014.  She has since plastered Nobs on most things she does.  

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 3

I don't know where it is proper to post this, so please forgive me if I am posting it in the wrong thread.  

I read her book.  When she was 'teaching' (yeah right) in Korea, she said she had a long-term boyfriend who went over there with her (I forgot his name).  She talked on and on about how in love she was with him, and they did everything together, and they were inseparable.  Then, right before they were going to come back home, they broke up for whatever reason she gave (I can't remember the reason).  Does anyone remember the boyfriend she was talking about?  Why has she NEVER talked about him during one of her 7 seasons?  I'm just curious is all.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

The general consensus is that the breakup occurred shortly before she moved home and started her actual job at the local radio station. Some of us thought that with all things Twit she made the relationship to be much more than it was in reality. I think she might have throw around the term "fiance" as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Me from ME said:

I think she might have throw around the term "fiance" as well.

Yes that sounds like Whitney.  Thanks for the comment, it helped with my memory.  I read her book when it first came out years ago.  Wasted money, yeah I know...

• Love 1