Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: A Fat Girl Dancing

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

After a health disorder caused her to gain more than 230 pounds, Whitney was forced to give up her one, true love: dancing. But after encouraging news from a doctor, she’s determined to show the world she can still move, even at 380 pounds.

I just can't with this show. I can't quite figure out why. She was not fat. Then she got sick and got really fat. And so...what? We all need to see her on tv? Good for her, I guess. I think maybe the fact that there are obese people everywhere is what makes this less interesting to me than little people, sextuplets, pligs, foreign fiances, and the like. Those are segments of society I don't know much about. Fat people - what's to know? They're fat. It's hard to be fat. People are mean about it. I get that. I've been there. But so far, the commercials have not been that compelling.

I also have an internal struggle over the whole "fabulous" thing. Fat or no, I have an inherent and immediate dislike for people who hang a billboard proclaiming their fabulousness. (Which is mainly why I hate the Kardashians). Still, it will be interesting to see if this show takes off. It was very crafty of TLC to choose someone who is obese, but can't be "blamed" for it because it is caused by an illness, not laziness, greed, bingeing, and other lifestyle choices.

• Love 6

I'm disgusted that TLC is running this program, complete with feel-good "girl power! YAY!" publicity. They're not interested in portraying the actuality of what life is like for a fat person in the USA. it wouldn't be entertaining.

In other words, the young woman in question is fat for an "acceptable" reason, which means that those who are fat because they don't have PCOS or hypothyroidism or auto-immune disease are lazy Fatty McFattersons who should get off their asses and put down their forks. Hatred and mistreatment of those who are fat is a well-ingrained societal prejudice, continually reinforced by multiple industries. It's not going to be solved by a whitewashed portrayal of Whitney's life.

• Love 7

Why is there a TV show celebrating morbid obesity? Its so unhealthy. What's next "My Big Fabulous Nicotine Habit" or "Lets Celebrate With Crack"?

Hopefully the show focuses on her trying to get back to a healthy weight, otherwise its just celebrating something that kills a lot of people.

Being morbidly obese isn't fabulous.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 17

Well that was...odd. I'm still not quite sure what the message is supposed to be. That obese people can be happy? That's all well and good, but my first impression of Whitney is that she's overcompensating with excessive giddiness and in your face "confidence" that seems pretty superficial to me. She describes how she is sought out by obvious chubbie chasers, then gets offended that they are interested in her body. I kept flashing to Zsalynn's loser ex-husband on 600lbs Life when she was asking her date whether he'd still be interested if she lost weight. I also wonder about her diet. First there was the pizza, then I think I saw her mom taking dirty dishes from her room. And I don't think I heard her mention anything about changing her diet in addition to dancing to lose weight. I know her condition is a big factor in the weight gain, but I wonder how healthy her diet is too.

• Love 11

I have PCOS.  If she intends to lose weight, she will have to watch her diet religiously as well exercise consistently.  I really hope the doctor also explained to her that PCOS increases your risk of diabetes, stroke, high blood pressure and heart disease even more than most people.

I can also tell her there is a reason she doesn't get pregnant.  It's all about the hormones baby.  If she's serious then she needs to attack this with at least diet and exercise.  There are also meds to address the side effects and help with pregnancy, but she really needs to get some of the weight off before even considering pregnancy.

• Love 5

My first impression from this show is that Whitney really does have spunk and confidence, that she's not overcompensating for some insecurity. I really appreciate her courage and energy as she deals with the challenges of her weight. I agree that obesity should never be celebrated, but it's important for overweight people to not feel ashamed of enjoying their exercise and appreciating themselves in their journey towards weight loss. What I think is, how are obese people supposed to feel comfortable at a gym or public space working out or dancing if society says they shouldn't feel comfortable in their bodies? 

All that being said, I do also want to know more about Whitney's diet too and I wonder what else contributed to her weight gain besides PCOS. I thought I remember her mentioning in a video I've seen that she's suffered from eating disorders. 

I got really annoyed with Whitney's dad going on and on about marriage and popping out kids. He would do well to encourage Whitney to get in shape for her own health, strength, and confidence and not for the sake of giving him grandchildren. I just hate that thought process. 

• Love 9

I thought she was insufferable for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with her weight, and at the same time that she's just not interesting enough to sustain a show. Babs, though, might have a future! I thought Whitney was insufferable after the first few minutes, so I tried listening without looking at the screen as a little experiment to see what I thought about her without focusing on her appearance, and that made it worse. That braying laugh and her inconsistent philosophizing, yikes!

I'm a big girl with PCOS who's at least 100 lbs smaller, a few years older, and actively trying to lose weight. I think the statement that PCOS makes it easy to gain weight and harder to lose is accurate for a significant population of people with PCOS. It makes weight loss more challenging, but not impossible, and though you might be able to lose weight with just diet at that size, I don't think you'll have much success with exercise but no dietary changes.

I agree that the whole thing was a mixed message. I'd be ok with the idea of, I'm fat, I'm working on it, but I shouldn't hate myself in the process. But she constantly contradicts herself. I also felt bad for her "date", who clearly has some issues but just got shit talked on television. I agree that there are lots of regular guys that don't mind or prefer some curves, but I have yet to see a guy (personally or on TV) that prefers very, very large women that didn't cross the line into fetish.

It's TLC, so I didn't expect a thoughtful analysis of struggling to lose weight and living large. This is the train wreck network, after all. That's why I think it won't last. For train wreck value, you have My 600 LB life and that ilk. And weight loss shows are a dime a dozen. Her personality and the dance angle aren't really interesting enough to carry it.

Speaking of the dance, (as a former overweight dancer myself, but more classic ballet and jazz), I'm not particularly impressed with her dancing or her dance partner's. Maybe im just getting old and out of touch, but size or no size, it seemed more like a lot of posing to the music, with very little technique and not very interesting choreography. It's what I'd expect from any small town dance studio's "hip hop" class.

• Love 14

In doing my morning Facebooking I discovered that I'm aquaintances with someone that knew Whitney growing up. Not someone that I'd call up to get the scoop, but what she posted was very complimentary of Whitney, saying her upbeat personality on TV is how she's always been.

• Love 2

This girl needs someone to staple her lips shut. Would stop her eating too much, talking incessantly, and that braying laugh..all good things. Her life is fabulous, but at age 30, she lives at home, and apparently is not able to work due to her excessive size..can dance though. Wonder if she is on SSI? I disliked her so much..not because of her weight, but her whole personality just grates.

• Love 8

I liked her enthusiasm, and I'm glad Whitney is not letting her weight stop her from living her life.

But I had a huge problem. She's 30 and is about as intertwined and dependent on her parents as a 14 year old. Living at home, arguing with her her Dad,her constant need for attention and affirmation. It just wore me out watching her. When she explained about moving home to get her life back in order, I started losing interest. I think it would have been a lot more fulfilling if they made a show of her struggling to live on her own, being independent and finding a job.

I really felt bad for her parents. Whitney is high maintenance.

Edited by NJRach
  • Love 9

I have PCOS. There are many, many women with PCOS. This could be a great show if it talked a bit more about what living as a fat woman with PCOS is like - how I have to get up and pluck and shave hairs every day. How I have handfuls of hair that fall out. How I have to watch what I eat closer than any skinny woman I know or else I gain 10 pounds overnight. How doctors attribute every. little. thing. to being fat instead of actually thinking you might have something medically wrong. How it took me 2 years and $20,000 of fertility treatments to have a child. Etc. etc. etc.

I am glad Whitney loves herself. She seems so fun to be around and I wish her all the best. But I really hoped for some SUBSTANCE in this show and I am not finding it so far. Her mom's a trip, Whitney herself is adorable, etc. But I need more than FAT GIRLS ROCK, WATCH ME DANCE.

• Love 8

I wonder how knowledgeable her father is about her condition, specifically in regards to the fertility issues with PCOS. It just seems almost cruel that he's harping on her to settle down and get started popping out his grandchildren when there is a good chance that she may have difficulty making that happen.

I'm also curious about the job issue. Did she finish college or was she pursuing dance there too and decided to stop once she started gaining weight? I think I recall her saying she attended a performing arts school in high school, but I missed whether she was also studying it as a degree in college. So I'm curious to know whether she's had any additional training outside of the arts that would provide her with job skills for other careers.

Edited by Katydid
  • Love 3

I may be in the minority but I like Whitney (so far). I have friends with PCOS and observing them struggle with beards, hair loss, and weight gain is eye opening. 

I think Whitney's 10 year break from dancing is the other big reason for extreme weight gain. She gained weight, stopped dancing, maybe kept eating like someone who danced regularly, gained more weight, etc. 

I was a bit embarrassed for her when she was practicing the dance in the yard in front of her parents and saying how she wanted to show the dance to her dad. For some reason it reminded me of when I was a very small child (4-6) and enlisted my younger sisters to make up dances or have talent shows and then force my poor parents to watch us perform. 

Did she say that she was Prom Queen in HS?

• Love 3

I wonder how knowledgeable her father is about her condition, specifically in regards to the fertility issues with PCOS. It just seems almost cruel that he's harping on her to settle down and get started popping out his grandchildren when there is a good chance that she may have difficulty making that happen.

Oh gosh, yes - when they started on the grandkids thing it made me gasp a little. She's 30 with PCOS - it could take her years to get pregnant and even then, it might not happen or she might have trouble carrying to term. I thought that was really insensitive of her dad to talk about unless he just genuinely does not know how PCOS changes fertility. In which case - why not have Whitney talk about that with him?! 

I am probably not viewing this show correctly since I am viewing it as someone who struggles day in and day with PCOS and ALL of the crap that goes along with that. 

• Love 3

First I must say that I do not dance, I am not a dance fan and know absolutely nothing about dance, so take this from whence it comes.

I also didn't think her dancing looked that impressive. My impression was that her moves or technique or whatever were obscured by the undulating rolls. She would take a step and then her belly would move and keep bouncing while the rest of her had moved on to something else. I would like to see her lose 200 pounds and do those same moves again so we could see she was really doing under all that stuff. Also her statement, "This is for my skinny sisters out there," made me disinclined to compliment her dancing, no matter what she did. She would have had to be pretty damned spectacular to impress me after getting in my face like that. While one has to admire her ability to move that weight around, it's hard to see her as a talented dancer under the current circumstances. I suspect her YouTube video went viral not because she's so fabulous but because of its freak show quality. I can imagine a crowd of half-wit young men shrieking with laughter as they watched the fat girl dance. The whole thing makes me sad.

My hope is that she sees the light and decides to give up the pizza et cetera and get down to a healthy size where she can show us what she can really do. At this point she reminds me of an early version of Zsalynn from My 600 Pound Life.

Love Babs to death. We need more Babs.

• Love 5
I am glad Whitney loves herself. She seems so fun to be around and I wish her all the best. But I really hoped for some SUBSTANCE in this show and I am not finding it so far. Her mom's a trip, Whitney herself is adorable, etc. But I need more than FAT GIRLS ROCK, WATCH ME DANCE.

Wait, so you expected something educational from "The Learning Channel?"  How unrealistic!  I really wish they'd change the name to Train Wreck TV or something similar because it's out of hand.  

That's what I find interesting about how they marketed the show.  The short commercial that played constantly the last few days was very unclear as to weather the theme was "fat, fabulous, and don't want to change" or "it's a struggle but I'm working on it."  The longer clip on their website was a little more clear that she did at least give some lip service to a desire to lose weight.  Only someone who had some actual interest in the show would find the longer video, but the short one generated enough vitriol in the media to get the publicity TLC wanted.    So of course the comments were all along the line of PCOS is just an excuse, put down the fries and get off the couch.  I'm not entirely sure that wouldn't be the response after watching the full episode, but there were at least some layers to the story there.  

I think showing more about the challenges of PCOS would be interesting either to those of us that have it, or for people are at least partially watching out of interest and not just for fatty mocking , but given the way TLC is promoting the show, I think it'll just be back to the reaction of, gross, so you're super fat and you have a beard.  What do you expect when you shove food in your face? (because that's the answer to everything.)  The reality's a lot more complicated.  Losing weight, even a lot, doesn't always resolve the hair issue, for example.  I invested $1000s in laser treatments (and as a naturally pale blond I was supposedly a perfect candidate) and all it did was turn thick prickly black hair into thick, prickly, white hairs.  I keep mirrors and tweezers in the car, my desk at work, my bag, all over my house- because you never know when you're going to be in the perfect light to see that you have a two inch long hair that you've been missing and I'm constantly plucking.

I also think Whitney put some words in the mouth of her "doctor" (chyron said Nurse Practitioner- no insult intended, but those terms are not interchangeable).  I think the NP was agreeing that it was possible to carry some weight and be very fit and otherwise healthy- I didn't get any sense that the NP was agreeing that at Whitney's current weight that she felt even with fitness she'd still be categorized as healthy.  And yes, some severely overweight people can have good numbers (mostly younger people), but right around her age (early thirties) the damage starts to catch up to you and once you start down the path of high blood pressure, cholestrol, blood sugar, they tend to cascade quickly and it's harder to reverse.  At 250-ish pounds, I can't honestly imagine saying I'm healthy, even if I could run a marathon.  The damage to my joints and my body may not have shown up on a test at her age, but it's here now, and it didn't happen overnight.  

• Love 4

One scene summed it up… In Whitney's TH after the dance with Todd for her parents, she was complaining about her parents only talking about Todd and screamed, "WHAT ABOUT ME?!?!?!" She craves attention, especially from her dad. And when she can't get it from him, she will get it anywhere she can, whether it's YouTube, TV or chubby chasers on the interwebs.

• Love 2

She is so so boring! She cannot carry a show. And 380 is huge not just fat but morbidly obese and not healthy.  Even with her disease, she should be at least 100 lighter - more like 280. This extra 100 pounds cannot be just from the illness. 

It's weird she is talking about how her stomach gets in the way and then isn't trying to lose wieght.

Okay well Ill watch a few more because Im a glutton for punishment

• Love 1

I too found her grating and the self-proclaimed "fabulousness" and overly dramatic laughter to be highly annoying.  I say, if you have to loudly let everyone know what you're labelling yourself.....it's probably not true.  Otherwise, people would be saying it for you.  She's a stunted, spoiled adolescent.

I did catch two interesting comments that were slipped in and glossed over.  Can't remember if it was her Dad or dance partner but they said, "to lose weight you're going to have to do more than just dance", indicating to me that there was a food issue involved.  Second, her dance partner clearly stated that Whitney did not have a body for dance even when she was at the height of her dancing in High School.  I don't think that necessarily referred to her weight but probably rather her bodily proportions.  If you were to believe Whitney, she makes it sound like she was on track to being a professional had PCOS not derailed her rise to stardom.   

The date was an absolute creeper with a fetish and Whitney most certainly didn't help things by making it all about her breasts within the first minute of meeting the dude. 

• Love 3

The dad said a few times that his daughters weight is shrinking the dating pool and this worries him that she won't meet anyone. He really needs to worry much more about these fetishists out there. I see that  he is not aware this exists. I mean why would he? I wouldn't know about if not for reading about that woman and seeing her on TV that was trying to get to 1000 pounds for her husband and then seeing it again with Zsalynn. This is a real big danger for her especially her attitude about how she looks just fine. She is only going to attract these kinds of men with the fat fetish. 

Edited by Bellalisa

I saw the ads for this show on TLC (while I was watching My 600-lb Life) and thought, "Huh, I wonder what is 'wrong' with her that she suddenly gained so much weight?"  Having PCOS myself, I was stunned when I watched the show and she claimed PCOS was the sole reason she put on 100 lbs in a year.  I have always struggled with my weight, and I've had to watch what I eat and stay active my whole life. I'm sure PCOS plays a part in Whitney's weight gain, but her inactivity and eating habits probably have more to do with it. And like someone else said, just getting active isn't going to make her lose weight. I know plenty of people, with PCOS and without, who are overweight and don't understand why they're exercising so much and not losing weight, when they haven't changed their eating habits (or they're eating more, because they exercised that day and think that they can--I've been there!). I realize everyone's body is different, I just can't believe it's the only reason she gained so much weight.

• Love 5

Yikes! This girl is annoying and her dancing stinks!

She is trying to be so cool. Her friend brought her "za" with "pep"; you aren't "jelly"....good grief!!

I have friends with PCOS and they are not morbidly obese.

Except for the grandchildren part, I like her Dad. He's being honest with her.

Love Babs!

This show won't last.

I saw the ads for this show on TLC (while I was watching My 600-lb Life) and thought, "Huh, I wonder what is 'wrong' with her that she suddenly gained so much weight?"  Having PCOS myself, I was stunned when I watched the show and she claimed PCOS was the sole reason she put on 100 lbs in a year.  I have always struggled with my weight, and I've had to watch what I eat and stay active my whole life. I'm sure PCOS plays a part in Whitney's weight gain, but her inactivity and eating habits probably have more to do with it. And like someone else said, just getting active isn't going to make her lose weight. I know plenty of people, with PCOS and without, who are overweight and don't understand why they're exercising so much and not losing weight, when they haven't changed their eating habits (or they're eating more, because they exercised that day and think that they can--I've been there!). I realize everyone's body is different, I just can't believe it's the only reason she gained so much weight.

Ok Thank you , I was wondering but was kind of afraid to bring it up

Like, say I get diagnosed with PCOS ( and please- I'm really just trying to understand this- I am completely ignorant of PCOS/ how it affects weight ect) and I don't change anything about my current eating/work habits ( healthy weight) will I gain weight? What if I make the effort to eat less than my calorie expenditure- would I still actually gain? I've heard its harder to lose weight with PCOS- that I get and I understand maybe putting on like 20-50 lbs due to hormonal changes what not... but she is almost 400 lbs. That can't be from PCOS. Maybe if she was 200 I would see it being reasonable.  IDK? Can some one who has it please explain it better? DO you think her weight gain is due to PCOS??

Edited by yogi2014L

OMG where do I even start with this hot mess of a train wreck.  First off she wants us all to think she's fat because of PCOS but she's stuffing her face full of pizza, drinking fruity drinks, wine and I'm pretty sure she's not changed her diet.  I have several friends with PCOS and NONE are morbidly obese.  To me it feels like a complete and utter cop out and well I'm going to be fat so I might as well eat all this pizza.  I tried to watch with an open mind but OMG this woman is so annoying. I detest anyone that has to constantly remind you they are something.  Like when someone is like I'm fat constantly it's compensating or poking fun at themselves so you don't do it.  I don't care if she's fat.  I really, really don't care.  I don't like her annoying personality.  That laugh. That look at me I'm so fabulous.  And the fact that I know underneath all of this she isn't so happy about where she is at.  It's ok to be happy with yourself.  It's ok to be fat and happy.  It's not ok to parade around pretending you are ok when it's clear to everyone watching she's not happy with being fat.  And I too agree she's 2 more large pizza's away from being Zsalynn and that creepy husband of hers.

• Love 5

OMG, this girl needs therapy!  I agree about her being a spoiled adolescent.  Hate to say it's not unheard of in people of her generation these days (just watch Corey on "Pawn Stars" if you want to see parent bashing by a 30 year old).  She's loud with no manners, shrill and overconfident.  Yikes, she's so revved up she cuts everyone off and exhausts the audience.  I'd almost think she's on uppers or something.  She definitely has that "look at meeeee, I'm so fabulous and if you don't look at meee, I'll make you look at mee whether you want to or not!!!"  attitude.  I generally can't stand it when people get angry that others don't pay attention to them.  Grow the fuck up.

I found her attitude about sex and relationships to be particularly repulsive.  Not sure why but there was an "ick factor" to it, especially when she talked about the testosterone and how she mentions that she has the testosterone of a man to the men she dates before she has sex with them.  Her attitude felt to me like she sees sex as a recreational sport.  But then she goes on about wanting someone who wants her for more than her body.  Yah, right, I wasn't convinced.  Perhaps besides revving her up to insane notches, all that testosterone makes her approach sex like a man, who knows?  I'd love to know what dating websites she's posting on.  I'd be willing to bet she's going to alternate sex-focused sites where she'd be more likely to find fetishists because that's probably the only way she can find enough men who will respond to her ad.  I kinda doubt she's doing the soul mate sites, LOL.  I'll also bet she has a video channel on an amateur fetish site, LOL.  I hate to say it but she seems like the type.  She craves attention, after all.

I also found her parents insufferable in their own way too.  I see them as partly responsible for creating this monster.  And her father is definitely in his 70s, a little old to have a daughter that age.  The disconnect between their generational attitudes is like the grand canyon.

And yeah to her probably not following a healthy diet.  I feel for her because I have my own weight issues since menopause in that I can't keep my weight down (I'm nowhere near her size thankfully) for love or money, but seriously with the risk of diabetes for women with PCOS she has no business eating a pizza like that.  With my own weight issues I've had to cut out white flour, most starches, and all added sugar.  And still even with exercise I hover around size 16.  I hope the show makes her go to a nutritionist.

It's too bad because I wanted to see a side to her and this show that was more than this that might be inspiring to people like me who are having trouble with their weight due to changes in their metabolism.  I agree that this show won't last long if this is all it is.  She doesn't seem to have enough depth to carry a series.  She is so shrill and annoying that after a while even watching it for train wreck value will grow old.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

I like Whitney. She has a good sense of humor--"I'm Baywatch!" I think her self-proclaimed "fabulousness" is partly tongue-in-cheek and partly overcompensation. After she struggled for the previous  decade with isolation and depression,  her boisterous bravado may be understandable because she is trying to reinvent the way that she relates to her environment.

Edited by grayson
  • Love 4

I hope she loses some weight.  And when she does, I hope she doesn't go on and on about how unhappy and sad she was when she weighed 380 pounds as I've seen from so many others.

As someone mentioned, she seems to be permanently stunted at a 14-year-old level.  Living with her parents, back-talking her mom, messy room, dishes in her room, petulant attitude, watch me, watch me, i was the best!  And she wanted to bring a one-night-stand home to her messy room in her parents home.   She seems primed to latch on to the a chubby chasers.  When her date wanted to let her taste his food (from his fork) a red flag went up for me.  He is probably into the "feeder" culture.  I would like to see her get some counseling.  And then try to lose weight with nutrition and exercise.  But I think she has some issues to work out.

I think I will continue to watch.  I think she is cute and kind of likable, but a little of her goes  a long way.  Looks like she might hook up with pizza boy.

• Love 1

I watched a repeat last night and she mentioned she had a job but she quit, hence moving back in with her parents. But she never mentioned what that job was. Was she unable to continue working due to her weight? Did she quit when she got the show? I still want to know what she was studying in college and whether she finished her degree. Lots of unanswered questions.

• Love 1

I know she used to work at a radio station - that was her job when her dancing video went viral. My GUESS is that she saw this viral video stuff as her big chance, and so she quit radio to hawk herself full time in hopes of a chance just like this one  - her own TV show. Moving home is convenient because it gives her an instant cast of characters. 

I have thyroid issues and am menopausal -- but thanks to adhering very stringently to Weight Watchers -- no going off-plan for seven months -- I lost 65 pounds, going from a size 18 to a 10. So it usually is possible to lose weight in spite of most health issues, as weight loss is basically calories in, calories out. That said, though, I'm having to work like a you-know-what to keep it off, and it's absolutely not fun. I'm certain Whitney's PCOS makes it more difficult for her to lose weight, but I'm also sure she's not trying -- not a judgment call there, as I was overweight for 20 years before deciding to take it off. Just a fact.

I like Whitney a lot. Yes, she's "out there," but she wouldn't have gotten her own TV show by behaving in a mainstream way, so that's to be expected. What I really like is that she's not, like many of us, waiting until she loses her weight to live her life. I can't tell you how many times I told myself, "After I finally lose weight, I'll do this," or "When I'm finally thin, I'll do that." In the meantime, I felt "less than," somehow -- as if my life didn't count because I was heavy. Good for her for realizing that her here-and-now isn't worth wasting.

A person can't lose weight till he or she is mentally ready. Whitney's not, and that's OK. She knows dancing is not going to cut it without a lot of nutritional modification, but she's heading in the right direction; she's moving more. Weight loss can happen in phases, and maybe she's getting ready to finally be ready, if that makes any sense. To those of you who have never struggled with weight: I'm happy for you, sincerely, because it's devastating (as Whitney's health care provider says, it's one of the last accepted prejudices). Whitney has a long road ahead of her when she finally makes the decision to change. But how can anyone begrudge her being happy in the meantime? She's no less deserving, no less worthy, because of her weight.

Edited by Literata
  • Love 12

I'd like to know what medical treatment Whitney is getting for her PCOS. Following a good diet and exercising can certainly help, but a quick Google search will show that most women with PCOS are immediately put on the birth control pill. That's because The Pill stops ovulation, and if there's no ovulation, there's no more PCOS. Yet I haven't heard Whitney mention it, and I don't think anybody here on this board has mentioned it, either.

I just love this show!  Yes, Whitney is immature and imperfect, but that's part of the interest for me.  I think she will grow and that's part of the entertainment.  At least she got a job with this reality show.  Nice pay check if you're unemployed.  I would imagine that getting a job isn't easy when you're that obese.  If you teach dance classes, I don't think you're lazy.  

When you grow up in a family with the means to overindulge, it can have negative consequences. I think that may have happened with Whitney.  Still, she's putting herself out there.  Not many people can show that vulnerable side in public.

I don't see it as her being happy she's obese. She admits she isn't.  She says she needs to lose weight.  A hundred pounds is a good place to start.  Obesity is a complex condition and nobody knows all the answers.  At least she's trying to move move, earn a living and create some motivation in desperately depressed people.  I think that's a great thing. Plus, she has an infectious laugh.  She even made The Soup last week! That's a great sign.  

The show is filmed in my home state, so maybe I'm prejudiced, but I do hope you guys will give it another chance.  Then if you still don't like it, so be it.  IMO, it's better than at least 75% of the other reality shows.

I have PCOS. There are many, many women with PCOS. This could be a great show if it talked a bit more about what living as a fat woman with PCOS is like - how I have to get up and pluck and shave hairs every day. How I have handfuls of hair that fall out. How I have to watch what I eat closer than any skinny woman I know or else I gain 10 pounds overnight. How doctors attribute every. little. thing. to being fat instead of actually thinking you might have something medically wrong. How it took me 2 years and $20,000 of fertility treatments to have a child. Etc. etc. etc.

I have PCOS, and I was waiting for that, too. It seriously sucks to lose handfuls and handfuls of hair, but be able to grow a beard better than some men. It also annoyed me that she was so "pissed" that it took until age 21 to be diagnosed. It took me 7 years, and I had to listen to doctors tell me I was crazy, that maybe I should stop shoveling food in my mouth, the whole nine yards. And I only gained about 90-ish pounds-very quickly and without any extra food/lack of exercise, but not 200+ lbs. And now with medical treatment and watching my carbs, I have taken about 50 of those back off, and still working.

I'd like to know what medical treatment Whitney is getting for her PCOS. Following a good diet and exercising can certainly help, but a quick Google search will show that most women with PCOS are immediately put on the birth control pill. That's because The Pill stops ovulation, and if there's no ovulation, there's no more PCOS. Yet I haven't heard Whitney mention it, and I don't think anybody here on this board has mentioned it, either.

Not every woman is immediately put on birth control. I have seriously irregular cycles (another fun symptom), and any time my doctor has tried to "jump start" me with hormones, I end up in bed with terrible migraines. PCOS is not a one-size-fits-all diagnosis. I'm past the age for the fertility issues, but I have to undergo extra testing every year because I'm at a higher risk for uterine cancer, with my hormone imbalances and the irregularity.

All that said, I did feel for Whitney when her dad kept pressing for the number on the scale. My answer would've been "none of your damn business", but that's me. I'm nearly half her size, and I'm not disclosing my weight to anyone. I've had enough of my size being thrown in my face to last me a lifetime, I don't need anyone attaching the actual number to it as well.

• Love 5

I kept waiting for Babs to slip and say how well they 'treated their coloreds' 

That accent is right on par.

Lord have mercy! You aren't kidding. I'm one of them colored gals from up north and that accent really gets my attention. I know it is stereotyping and I apologize to any southern sisters on this board, but when I hear a white person talk like that, I'm wondering where they keep their Klan robes. I'm old enough to remember separate newspaper listings for white and colored housing and jobs. When I was a kid, we couldn't try on clothes in some of DC's department stores. I know not everyone who speaks that way is a racist, but certainly my younger days influence my initial thoughts when I hear that kind of accent.

That said, she's funny as hell.

As for Whitney - I had no idea you could gain that much weight from PCOS. I know that Isa Chandra Moskowitz, the vegan cookbook author, wrote 'Appetite for Reduction' after she found out she had PCOS and hypothyroidism. Her earlier stuff wasn't light on the oils, etc. while this book is low fat vegan, which seemed to help her lose weight. I admit to not paying close attention to Whitney - I don't know if she's eating in her room, at fast food places, or whatev, but it does seem that more than the disease is at work here. I'll probably watch a few more shows, tho I don't care about her 'dancing.'

• Love 3

Whitney actually reminds me a bit of a woman named Ruby who had her own tv show a few years ago, though Ruby was older (mid-40s), had 2 roommates and started off about 500 lbs. She has a similar personality, though Ruby played the southern belle role , being from Savannah. Ruby's whole focus on her show was to lose weight and get fit but when she wasn't successful after about 2 years, her show was cancelled, though she did manage to lose about 150 lbs from what I recall. That show was on the Style network and actually had fairly high ratings the first year.

• Love 8

Whitney actually reminds me a bit of a woman named Ruby who had her own tv show a few years ago, though Ruby was older (mid-40s), had 2 roommates and started off about 500 lbs. She has a similar personality, though Ruby played the southern belle role , being from Savannah. Ruby's whole focus on her show was to lose weight and get fit but when she wasn't successful after about 2 years, her show was cancelled, though she did manage to lose about 150 lbs from what I recall. That show was on the Style network and actually had fairly high ratings the first year.

I thought I was the only one who remembered Ruby.  I'm also reminded of her when I watch this show.  Ruby was also loud and unafraid to voice her opinion, but perhaps a bit more likable than Whitney, in my opinion.  Ruby's show started to go downhill when the producers decided to play up an abuse storyline, but (as I recall) refused to actually reveal any of the details of the abuse.  They blamed her weight gain on it and attempted to have her work with a therapist, but I think people lost interest when she didn't lose any weight and actually gained a bit more.  I can see this show going the same direction.  There doesn't seem to be much of a point to it.  So far, I've seen a lot of unhealthy eating, ranting about "haters," and dancing that looks more like a light aerobic workout than a dance routine.  

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 2