Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Why don't they add Whit to the Discovery + lineup, instead of shows I actually care about, but damn well won't pay double to see?

Probably because they know no one would double pay to see Whit and she certainly won’t entice anyone to dump their current method of getting Discovery shows for only +

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, GrannySmith said:

I’ve been wondering all along what she sees when she looks in the mirror. In what world is cellulite attractive on anybody?  Does she see her misshapen butt?  I just don’t understand how she can think that body will sexually attract anyone. Can anybody explain this?

I’m not in Whitney’s mind, but I don’t personally believe she’s as comfortable with her appearance as she claims.  I do, however, think there are people that are or would be physically attracted to her.  Tons of people are obese, have old saggy skin, bad skin, bad teeth, or a variety of other things that “society” deems “unattractive” and are married or in relationships. I agree with @mamadrama that Whitney’s main problem is her behavior/personality.  

I obviously don’t know her in real-life, so can only go based with what’s on the show, and I’ve said I believe it to be partially scripted.  However, ripping your clothes off in front of strangers and coworkers is not normal behavior.  An adult peeing in hot tubs/pools and then announcing to her friends she did so is not normal.  Being engaged or “engaged” to one man and cuddling or constantly draping yourself over another is not normal behavior.  Being so inconsiderate of your friends that they literally have to wear parkas and blankets to ride with you is not normal behavior.  Now if these were all storylines, it’s weird, but whatever.  However, at least some of these didn’t happen on the show or her friends have indicated these were actual behaviors from her.  

Basically, I do think there are a lot of guys not attracted to Whitney physically, but I think there are some that are.  I really think it’s her need to have everything centered around her that is her actual problem.  It’s one thing on the show.  It’s her show, I understand the stories would be centered around her, but a lot of these outrageous behaviors seem to indicate this is how she acts in real life in a variety of situations.  I’ve mentioned before in the world of reality shows, I don’t think Whitney is anywhere close to being the worst, but it doesn’t mean I’d particularly want to hang out with her.  This is my non-psychologist semi-regular viewer analysis of Whitney, which of course is total speculation, but how I see it.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

I’m not in Whitney’s mind, but I don’t personally believe she’s as comfortable with her appearance as she claims.  I do, however, think there are people that are or would be physically attracted to her.  Tons of people are obese, have old saggy skin, bad skin, bad teeth, or a variety of other things that “society” deems “unattractive” and are married or in relationships. I agree with @mamadrama that Whitney’s main problem is her behavior/personality.  

I obviously don’t know her in real-life, so can only go based with what’s on the show, and I’ve said I believe it to be partially scripted.  However, ripping your clothes off in front of strangers and coworkers is not normal behavior.  An adult peeing in hot tubs/pools and then announcing to her friends she did so is not normal.  Being engaged or “engaged” to one man and cuddling or constantly draping yourself over another is not normal behavior.  Being so inconsiderate of your friends that they literally have to wear parkas and blankets to ride with you is not normal behavior.  Now if these were all storylines, it’s weird, but whatever.  However, at least some of these didn’t happen on the show or her friends have indicated these were actual behaviors from her.  

Basically, I do think there are a lot of guys not attracted to Whitney physically, but I think there are some that are.  I really think it’s her need to have everything centered around her that is her actual problem.  It’s one thing on the show.  It’s her show, I understand the stories would be centered around her, but a lot of these outrageous behaviors seem to indicate this is how she acts in real life in a variety of situations.  I’ve mentioned before in the world of reality shows, I don’t think Whitney is anywhere close to being the worst, but it doesn’t mean I’d particularly want to hang out with her.  This is my non-psychologist semi-regular viewer analysis of Whitney, which of course is total speculation, but how I see it.

Yeah, so much of what we deem attractive is cultural, too, not to mention specific to the individual. Personally, I'd take 1 Queen Latifah over a dozen Kate Mosses.

I think Whitney WANTS to believe that it's her weight. By doing so she not only gets to cry discrimination but she can pretend that it's not something wrong with her actions and personality.

I forgot the parka thing. What was that about? 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Yeah, so much of what we deem attractive is cultural, too, not to mention specific to the individual. Personally, I'd take 1 Queen Latifah over a dozen Kate Mosses.

I think Whitney WANTS to believe that it's her weight. By doing so she not only gets to cry discrimination but she can pretend that it's not something wrong with her actions and personality.

I forgot the parka thing. What was that about? 

Whitney, Ryan, Heather, not sure who else was in the car were doing their road trip to the NoBsCruise and it was cold outside (it may have been November) but she had all the windows open and I think possibly the air conditioning on flying down the highway so I guess throw in cold wind, and basically everyone was complaining it was cold.  Cold to the point everyone had to keep their parkas and blankets on in the car. I get everybody’s different but if everyone, but me, is in a polar vortex because I’m hot, I probably either need to drive myself or comprise somewhat. Plus the others were saying it was freezing, it wasn’t like she didn’t know.  Again, if this were a 10 minute ride, and you’re that hot, ok, maybe they suffer through but this trip is hours long. To me it’s just another example of she thinks her needs are more important than everybody else’s. She’s driving the car not pushing it, it wasn’t like she was going to burst into flames or she could have brought  some ice packs to shove down her shirt.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

She’s driving the car not pushing it, it wasn’t like she was going to burst into flames or she could have brought  some ice packs to shove down her shirt.

Or driven topless, as that seems to be her thing, anyway.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

This has been bothering me, so I’m just going to get it off my chest. All season I have been watching her dog, hoping that she would come out of her shell, and she just hasn’t. I am a standard poodle person, and, for this breed, she seems just very shut down to me. She was clearly abused or neglected and needs attention, training, and a quiet environment with a patient person who is interested in rehabilitating her. Unfortunately, she was paired with a person who is very self-centered and requires everyone to take care of her, and who has a damn production crew in and out of the house and “friends” who don’t even seem to see the dog. She’s just another prop for Whitney. I think it’s telling that I don’t even know the her name. I know Whitney mentioned it when she brought her home, but I think that was the only time. In The Skinny episode alone, the dog is lying on the floor next to her feet, and Whitney starts crying and jumps up from the couch and pushes the dog with her feet to get her out of the way so she can go run off in dramatic fashion. That poor dog jumps up and clearly doesn’t understand what’s happening and looks confused and a little panicky, like she doesn’t know where to go. Whitney rushes into her bedroom and sits on the bed crying, and the dog follows her and stands there looking lost. Standard poodles are very tuned in to emotion, so Whitney crying is going to be upsetting. She should have reached over to touch and comfort her, or at least acknowledge her. Don’t get me wrong, I know there are a million more dogs in the world in way worse situations, and I do believe that if Whitney put down her mirror she could be good for her, but after an entire season, I just don’t see much of an improvement in her confidence or insecurity. Whitney should stick to cats. But even her cats don’t seem to like her.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

No, Teri313 you're absolutely right. She's abusive to every person and animal in her path. She treats her cats, dog, and pig horribly, not to mention the horse she made carry her back in S4. All her pets should be rehomed. Poor Babs misses Henchi so much, and she went and got her another kitten she didn't want, and another cat in her care disappeared and she won't say what happened to him. All these people in her orbit can choose to leave her, but these poor animals have no choice.

• Applause 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

No, Teri313 you're absolutely right. She's abusive to every person and animal in her path. She treats her cats, dog, and pig horribly, not to mention the horse she made carry her back in S4. All her pets should be rehomed. Poor Babs misses Henchi so much, and she went and got her another kitten she didn't want, and another cat in her care disappeared and she won't say what happened to him. All these people in her orbit can choose to leave her, but these poor animals have no choice.

Isn't that the sad truth. She forces herself on them to get what she needs, without caring about or understanding their inherent natures or what they need. It's all about her, always. And I hate (and I'm pretty sure they do too) when she does the cat breath thing.

• Love 6

Not only are we supposed to believe that Whitney wouldn't move to Wilmington to be with her fiance, but we're meant to believe that the woman who cyberstalked Avi and made charts and diagrams of his movements, who called Lennie 10 times in one day and did drive bys, and who was willing to go through classes to become Jewish NEVER ONCE visited Chase's house or club? 

It took me 5 minutes to track down Chase's girlfriend online and to find posts regarding the 2 of them-stuff that went back 2 years. And that's before I got to the property records with both their names on it...

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10

I think it’s telling that I don’t even know the her name.

Neeshi. Several people have called the dog by name on different episodes and it's also appeared in print under the dog's image on screen a bunch of times.

Whitney: Sorry, Chase, but I couldn't possibly move to Wilmington. I have to stay here in Charlotte to (pretend to) run my company.

Also Whitney:

Whitney: Sorry, Ryan, but I couldn't possible stay in Charlotte. I have no reason to and I can (pretend to) run my company from anywhere. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
18 hours ago, DanaMB said:

So how will France’s travel ban affect this epic love story?

Unfortunately for the Dudezer it opened up just long enough for her to come over and plant herself there for 6 weeks.

She oughta hook up with 90 Day Courteney. She also invited herself to Spanish "es no parm Corney" Antonio's house. 

4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Has anyone ever really stood up to her? I mean really let loose on her?

Jiya did.  There were a number of shining moments from her appearance on the show - when she threw shade at Whitney for the low-energy performance BGDC put on at the faked National Folk Festival appearance.When she refused to let Whitney avoid the harder parts of the class Whitney, Todd and Tal took at Jiya's studio. (I laughed out loud at when Whitney smugly refused to "drop it low" because she had "bad knees" and Jiya asked her for a doctor's note.) When Whitney, outraged that she hadn't won her dance battle with Jiya, demanded a do-over, Jiya called her out on using a professional choreographer and still losing. In the end, when Whitney (in a surprisingly meek tone of voice, wearing a pressure boot on one leg)  tried to back out of the second battle on the grounds of being injured, Jiya pinned her down, asking again for proof of Whitney's injuries, asking why  Whitney's class couldn't dance without her, telling her the do-over could happen after Whitney was better, and generally making it clear that Whitney was backing out only because she knew Jiya was too much for her.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Ketzel said:

Jiya did.  There were a number of shining moments from her appearance on the show - when she threw shade at Whitney for the low-energy performance BGDC put on at the faked National Folk Festival appearance.When she refused to let Whitney avoid the harder parts of the class Whitney, Todd and Tal took at Jiya's studio. (I laughed out loud at when Whitney smugly refused to "drop it low" because she had "bad knees" and Jiya asked her for a doctor's note.) When Whitney, outraged that she hadn't won her dance battle with Jiya, demanded a do-over, Jiya called her out on using a professional choreographer and still losing. In the end, when Whitney (in a surprisingly meek tone of voice, wearing a pressure boot on one leg)  tried to back out of the second battle on the grounds of being injured, Jiya pinned her down, asking again for proof of Whitney's injuries, asking why  Whitney's class couldn't dance without her, telling her the do-over could happen after Whitney was better, and generally making it clear that Whitney was backing out only because she knew Jiya was too much for her.

I'm disappointed but  not surprised that this is the "finale" of Season 9.

I don't know who Jiya is but wow!!!

There seemed to be a lot of scenes of her in dance mode, dancing about 4 steps then finding some reason why she had to leave to make or accept a phone call, sit down because of an injury or to direct the others...how does she call herself a dancer?

• Love 3

1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

There seemed to be a lot of scenes of her in dance mode, dancing about 4 steps then finding some reason why she had to leave to make or accept a phone call, sit down because of an injury or to direct the others...how does she call herself a dancer?

The Jiya story line began in Season 4, when Jiya, a plus size dancer, called into the MLR morning show to say she had a troupe of big girls (The Trophy Wives) and she was interested in getting together with Whitney to see if there might be some collaboration possible.  It went on for several episodes, during which Whitney became increasingly defensive and whiny about Jiya's behavior and Jiya kept up a stream of snarky responses to Whitney's behavior.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Ketzel said:

The Jiya story line began in Season 4, when Jiya, a plus size dancer, called into the MLR morning show to say she had a troupe of big girls (The Trophy Wives) and she was interested in getting together with Whitney to see if there might be some collaboration possible.  It went on for several episodes, during which Whitney became increasingly defensive and whiny about Jiya's behavior and Jiya kept up a stream of snarky responses to Whitney's behavior.

The Jiya story arc was one of my favorites.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Unpopular opinion - I didn't like Jiya. I thought it was great that she called Whitney on her bullshit but I otherwise found her to be bitchy. Her "choreography" was all hair flipping and twerking. And I don't respond to her style of teaching (werk til it hurts). I know how hard to push myself; I'm not blowing out a knee just so I can "go low, to the flo..."

• Love 7
22 hours ago, stoppro said:

I agree jiya  wasn't the best,I was mostly thinking about the comedienne.

Yup, here it is and I love the way Kerryn challenged Whitney: 

Edited to add second link: 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 6

Jiya shades Whitney for the fake national folk dance festival  performance: LINK

Whitney takes Jiya's class, Jiya takes Whitney's: LINK

Whitney wants a rematch after BGDC loses the dance battle to Trophy Wives: LINK

Whitney wants to cancel dance battle rematch: LINK

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 4

So I've been pondering WTF is wrong with Whitney, and you know I keep saying that she's emotionally "stuck" in adolescence. 

Because I never had children,  the only experience I have is with my own adolescence and that of my sister's kids, who are close to me in age.  So I need some of you who've raised/are raising children to weigh in here....

I seem to remember being very changeable (for lack of a better word) at that age. One day, I wanted to ride horses, a week later I wanted nothing to do with the outdoors. One month, I HAD to have the latest thing; a month later, I thought people who had that were stupid.  I was trying different things,  searching for my own identity.  THIS is what I see Whitney doing and that's part of why I think she's stuck. 

Those of you with kids: is this changeability typical of adolescence? Or was I just a crazy mf?

• LOL 1

Those of you with kids: is this changeability typical of adolescence? Or was I just a crazy mf?

I wouldn't say I have vast experience with raising children but yes, I think adolescence (which really lasts until about age 24) is all about figuring out who you are and what you want to do with your life. This is the time when you really start becoming more independent from your family of origin (at least, if development is proceeding in a "normal," healthy way). 

I'm not sure what Whitney's deal is. I think she has diagnosable mental health issues, including depression to some degree. I think she's also garden variety immature in some ways. I think both of those things are inflated by having coddling parents and a tv show that gives you a platform to emphasize the parts of yourself that get you attention (whether those be your best traits or your worst ones or somewhere in between). I also think that she is fundamentally lonely and unhappy and I'm sympathetic to that. I wanted a husband and family for years and didn't find him until I was in my mid-40's. I think she has struggled to find ways to be happy without that type of relationship in her life and I understand - it's a hard void to fill no matter how many friends and family members and hobbies and pets and whatever else you have in your life.

I guess in summary, I don't think there is any one, big, special thing "wrong" with her. I think she is just an average, somewhat depressed and unhappy woman who is disappointed about not having some of the things she really wants in life, and no matter what she does, there's really no guarantee that she will ever get them (though there are things she could do to increase her odds). She's just living this out on the platform of a modestly successful cable tv show instead of in the privacy of her own little world, like most of the rest of the population.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I'm not sure what Whitney's deal is. I think she has diagnosable mental health issues, including depression to some degree. I think she's also garden variety immature in some ways. I think both of those things are inflated by having coddling parents and a tv show that gives you a platform to emphasize the parts of yourself that get you attention (whether those be your best traits or your worst ones or somewhere in between). I also think that she is fundamentally lonely and unhappy and I'm sympathetic to that. I wanted a husband and family for years and didn't find him until I was in my mid-40's. I think she has struggled to find ways to be happy without that type of relationship in her life and I understand - it's a hard void to fill no matter how many friends and family members and hobbies and pets and whatever else you have in your life.

I guess in summary, I don't think there is any one, big, special thing "wrong" with her. I think she is just an average, somewhat depressed and unhappy woman who is disappointed about not having some of the things she really wants in life, and no matter what she does, there's really no guarantee that she will ever get them (though there are things she could do to increase her odds). She's just living this out on the platform of a modestly successful cable tv show instead of in the privacy of her own little world, like most of the rest of the population.

I think Whitney’s biggest problem is that she is an addict. Whitney Thore is a food addict. Her behavior is such that she can get away with remaining fat (the name of the show has fat in it) and even get paid for it. Whitney has every excuse in the book why she is fat, and it’s never because she overeats. 

In earlier seasons, she was called out by Will and Kerryn Feehan (the comedian) as having an addiction. We don’t see that anymore, probably because it threatened Whitney’s relationship with her addiction—she intends to keep it. Now this shitshow has fake boyfriends and fiancées. 

If Whitney ever decides to do something about it, we may one day get some honesty from her. First, she has to admit she has a problem (cliche but true). And Whitney likes IMMEDIATE results, as she’s shown us by wanting to “win” competitions after 3-4 lesson of (insert random activity) so she’ll have to accept that she won’t lose weight by eating healthy for one day. 

That is the problem and she refuses to admit it—this is the woman who says she “doesn’t love cake” but kept shoveling in sample cupcakes for her parents’ party (and the camera wisely focused in on the cake shoveling). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I think Whitney’s biggest problem is that she is an addict. Whitney Thore is a food addict. Her behavior is such that she can get away with remaining fat (the name of the show has fat in it) and even get paid for it. Whitney has every excuse in the book why she is fat, and it’s never because she overeats. 

In earlier seasons, she was called out by Will and Kerryn Feehan (the comedian) as having an addiction. We don’t see that anymore, probably because it threatened Whitney’s relationship with her addiction—she intends to keep it. Now this shitshow has fake boyfriends and fiancées. 

If Whitney ever decides to do something about it, we may one day get some honesty from her. First, she has to admit she has a problem (cliche but true). And Whitney likes IMMEDIATE results, as she’s shown us by wanting to “win” competitions after 3-4 lesson of (insert random activity) so she’ll have to accept that she won’t lose weight by eating healthy for one day. 

That is the problem and she refuses to admit it—this is the woman who says she “doesn’t love cake” but kept shoveling in sample cupcakes for her parents’ party (and the camera wisely focused in on the cake shoveling). 

This is all so true. I remain convinced that I'll never like her personality, but I do feel bad for her addiction issues and eating disorder. That's a real problem that will require a lot of hard work and treatment to heal from. But like you said, you can't get past it without taking that first step of admitting your problem, and if she does that, there goes her show and her fanbase, and possibly her fabulousness (in her mind).

I'm not here to body-shame, or to shame those with mental health or addiction issues. But I do find it sad when people are unable to manage their issues, whether they be mental, physical, or both.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, auntjess said:

The leprechaun on a scooter.
https://littlethings.com/lifestyle/bullies-mock-reality-star-during-st-patricks-day-parade

I ignored the text of this article.

I watched the clip, guess I’ll have to watch the whole episode because now I’m wondering why she decided to do this.  And why was the group in the parade at all?  If at some point in the parade the group danced, that makes sense.  If all they did was walk with a banner, I don’t see the point.  In any case, it seems like a stupid decision for Whitney to participate on a scooter—-just stay home and rest.  Also if she really had back pain, seems like she wouldn’t be able to sit on the scooter for the duration of a parade.  
I’m  asking these why questions knowing the answer is that it was all fodder for the show.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yeah, you really should watch the entire episode. The Big Girls Dance Class did have an opportunity to do a dance. Our attention loving girl got out of her scooter and tried to do the choreography but since she hadn't practiced she screwed it up for the rest of them. I also seem to recall that there  might have been an award given and Twit was disappointed that they hadn't won.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Oh my…well I watched.  What a display of egotism and exhibitionism.  First day as intern, she gets down on the floor to display her “beg” aka lower back.  At lunch asks her “boss” (?) if they could physically have sex since he’s obese too.  
Strains her back again, says she knows her back wouldn’t hurt if she weren’t so fat.  Goes to last rehearsal, can’t do anything, passes out dollar store hats.  One dancer comments to camera W has missed most rehearsals.  W expresses jealousy that someone else’s choreography will be used, but accepts it as a necessity, tho if she thought the group liked that choreography better than hers she would nix it!  
at the parade she looks pissed riding the scooter, miraculously is able to dance (more than she should have been if her back really hurt so much).   Admits doesn’t know choreography and doesn’t care.  Says I’m a control freak; maybe it’s my ego.

Wow!  There are no words really.  

Edited by CattyK
  • Love 14
17 hours ago, monagatuna said:

This is all so true. I remain convinced that I'll never like her personality, but I do feel bad for her addiction issues and eating disorder. That's a real problem that will require a lot of hard work and treatment to heal from. But like you said, you can't get past it without taking that first step of admitting your problem, and if she does that, there goes her show and her fanbase, and possibly her fabulousness (in her mind).

I'm not here to body-shame, or to shame those with mental health or addiction issues. But I do find it sad when people are unable to manage their issues, whether they be mental, physical, or both.

I don’t know, I think a lot of us in the beginning were rooting for Whitney to lose enough weight to be healthier. Then the show did a 180 and morphed into what it is today. If Whitney addressed her core issues honestly, I’d watch that. 

What bothers me most is Whitney’s blaming of PCOS for her weight gain. I had PCOS, it’s definitely harder and I empathise. But she’s sending the wrong message when she’s sitting there at 350-ish pounds claiming it’s pretty much impossible for her to lose weight. It’s possible, but not when someone is in denial over their food addiction. It’s dishonest to use a medical problem as a cop-out. 

I recall when Whitney went to a PCOS conference that was filmed she was the biggest one there. There was very little social media on that because they didn’t bow down to her—in fact, she kind of wound up in the background during a dance thing they had. 🤣She thought she’d be their “star”, but they didn’t want much to do with her because Whitney Thore is not what PCOS women want or need and she needs to stop trying to make herself a spokesperson for it. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Auto Incorrect
  • Love 12

The show was a lot more interesting when Whit's family and friends dared to stage a funeral-themed intervention.   Haven't seen anything close to that since.

Edited by Cache
Typo!
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, Cache said:

The show was a lot more interesting when Whit's family and friends dared to stage a funeral-themed intervention.   Haven't seen anything close to that since.

Yeah, she threw a tantrum when they did that. They've tried repeatedly to help her, but ultimately you have to want to change.  

• Love 6

I hated that, honestly. I truly did. I have all the respect in the world for interventionists and the addicts they try to help; I really do. But that thing with Whit was just a mess. If they really wanted to do an intervention with her they would have talked about how her food addiction impacts her life and their lives; and then they would have set some boundaries for themselves so they could live healthy lives. Instead this was just an excuse to put on their Sunday clothes, file past a coffin and cry. It was bullshit and, as might have been expected, didn't do the slightest bit of good.

• Love 7
On 11/12/2021 at 9:51 PM, Elizzikra said:

I hated that, honestly. I truly did. I have all the respect in the world for interventionists and the addicts they try to help; I really do. But that thing with Whit was just a mess. If they really wanted to do an intervention with her they would have talked about how her food addiction impacts her life and their lives; and then they would have set some boundaries for themselves so they could live healthy lives. Instead this was just an excuse to put on their Sunday clothes, file past a coffin and cry. It was bullshit and, as might have been expected, didn't do the slightest bit of good.

I’m hopeful that one day, the lightbulb will click on in Whitney’s head and she will do something. I’d love for her to come out and admit her addiction and that she’s been in denial for years. If falling on her face on skis, not being able to finish short races and not being helped to do basic things in life (like shaving her legs) are not her rock bottom, I wonder what will be?  

She still blames PCOS so I’m guessing not any time soon. 

• Love 5