Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Thore: So She Thinks She Can Dance

• Start Topic

There's an actual thing called the Fat Acceptance Movement and it's entirely full of women like Whitney: women who live "fierce" and "fabulous" lives while fat (except they're either pissed off or crying half the time at how "oppressed" they are by being fat...you know, things like stores not selling a 6X for the same price as an XS, or having their doctor tell them their weight is endangering their health). Almost all of them have Whitney's exact over-the-top personality, they almost all have tattoos (most of which are artsy/hipster, or feminist like Whitney's), and most of them dye their hair outlandish colors and wear spandex or garish clothes (and then cry online about people "staring at them because they're fat").

Yes and this makes me sad.  It pisses me off that these people have to act all nutsy and outlandish thinking somehow that will give their movement more credibility....other discriminated groups do this too and it equally pisses me off.  Meanwhile, you have people who are making real headway to rise in their career despite the fat discrimination - people like me, a quiet conservative accountant who found and managed to wear appropriate business suits, even in a size 24, every day.

I am not even obese anymore and I still suffer from fat discrimination from the medical community.  A couple weeks ago I visited my doctor for my yearly physical and I had lost about 145 lbs since my last visit (I had weight loss surgery), but I still have roughly 20 lbs more to lose to be "normal" on the BMI tables.  So despite all that, my doctor kept saying about all my complaints: "well, when you lose that last 20 lbs, X will improve."  He even tried to say this when reviewing my bloodwork because one of my liver tests came back as abnormal...and I was like wait a minute here, was that level high when I was 145 lbs heavier?  Luckily he agreed that I had a valid point and said he would recheck it in a few months. But I have a feeling that even when I attain the magical BMI of 25, the doctor will probably say that I am at the top of the the normal range, so that's why I have pain...or if I got down to the lower range, the doctors will say that I need to gain weight to feel better.  Many doctors are lazy and won't dive further unless you make a big stink.  

I always BELIEVED that everything would fall into place once I got thin and things like promotions, medical care, acceptance from others, etc. would come easier. Well, I am learning now that that was complete bullshit and skinny people really don't have it any easier.  Hey, I have no regrets about losing the weight and I can honestly say that dealing with life's problems are easier when you can take a flight of stairs without becoming winded.  However, no one is immune to discrimination.

Edited by notyrmomma
  • Love 15

I am not even obese anymore and I still suffer from fat discrimination from the medical community.  A couple weeks ago I visited my doctor for my yearly physical and I had lost about 145 lbs since my last visit (I had weight loss surgery), but I still have roughly 20 lbs more to lose to be "normal" on the BMI tables.  So despite all that, my doctor kept saying about all my complaints: "well, when you lose that last 20 lbs, X will improve."  He even tried to say this when reviewing my bloodwork because one of my liver tests came back as abnormal...and I was like wait a minute here, was that level high when I was 145 lbs heavier?  Luckily he agreed that I had a valid point and said he would recheck it in a few months. But I have a feeling that even when I attain the magical BMI of 25, the doctor will probably say that I am at the top of the the normal range, so that's why I have pain...or if I got down to the lower range, the doctors will say that I need to gain weight to feel better.  Many doctors are lazy and won't dive further unless you make a big stink.  

That is so fucked up. I am so sorry your doctor had his head up his ass and didn't give you any credit for making a massive improvement in your health. That must have been really discouraging. Let me congratulate you on a hell of an accomplishment! And doctors who cling so strongly to the BMI scale are crackheads. BMI is bullshit, I've been saying that for years. I tell my personal training clients to pay no attention to it. It's exactly the same as the old height/weight charts, only made into a single (arbitrary) number. At 5'11" if I weigh over 180 lb I'm "overweight," even if I have 20% body fat. Stupid stupid stupid. You did an awesome job with your weight loss! :)

• Love 9
I always BELIEVED that everything would fall into place once I got thin and things like promotions, medical care, acceptance from others, etc. would come easier. Well, I am learning now that that was complete bullshit and skinny people really don't have it any easier.  Hey, I have no regrets about losing the weight and I can honestly say that dealing with life's problems are easier when you can take a flight of stairs without becoming winded.  However, no one is immune to discrimination.

Weight loss is not a miracle panacea by any means, but when I lost a significant amount of weight I noticed more positive male attention plus women didn't turn their noses up at me so much anymore and act superior, but asked me where I bought my clothing, etc.  Plus the heavy people all looked at me with envy, which was not necessarily a positive thing.  Post-menopause, which is when I gained most of my weight, I have noticed some avoidance by skinny women.  I remember an event I went to with my husband last year - The two other couples were friends of my husband's business associate and their wives were skinny minnies.  We went out at night so they wore sleevless cocktail dresses and looked very svelte.  The two of them totally avoided me - and I'm not one to know that feeling normally.  They didn't know each other before this either but they paired up like long lost sisters and went to the ladies' room together, and shared pointers about hair and makeup.  Like I was the 800 pound gorilla in the room, meanwhile I'm a size 16.  Mind you, my outfit was very fashionable and I am more of a fashionista than most women, so I definitely felt that it was because of my weight.  I ended up talking to the other, frumpier woman in the limo., who was very nice, actually.  They avoided her too because she was dressed very humbly by comparison.  She wasn't even overweight.  So it's not just weight that makes stuff like this happen.

On another note re: Whitney - I also don't think it's a good idea for her to be dating a guy who likes heavy women.  A lot of them exert subtle pressure on their partners to stay fat because they don't prefer skinny women, which she may give into if she wants to keep him interested.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4
So despite all that, my doctor kept saying about all my complaints: "well, when you lose that last 20 lbs, X will improve."

For what it's worth, if you're not overweight as a woman, they'll go to the other doctor dismissals: whatever illness you have must be hormonal or if not hormonal, clearly you need anti-depressants.  Fuck doctors.

• Love 5

Your personal accounts of weight-loss, doctors' diagnoses and personal experiences with weight-based discrimination is off-topic for this thread. Please take the discussion to the Small Talk thread. Thanks.

Interesting to hear these stories because I have recently been to the doctors for knee/joint pain, and not one has noted that if I drop some weight, they would be alleviated.  And that is what I was expecting to hear, and surprised that I didn't.  And my OT point is that maybe Whitney has too many docs not telling her what she needs to hear.  Because I remember one of hers - I think one of the originals from S1 - who agreed with her that you can be "fat and healthy".  And it's totally true that BMI/body-weight charts don't know everything - I am healthy and attractive at a higher weight than the charts would say, and based on Whitney's talk about her past I would guess that that is true for her too, even if she didn't realize it when she was a teen (as I didn't).  But I think I can objectively state that once anyone hits 300 lbs, they have left healthy in the dust.

• Love 4

princelina, I would add to that that as a person ages the weight they can be and still be healthy tends to go down and I don't think Whitney is being realistic about that.  I think she thinks she can lose just enough weight to avoid diabetes and other health issues but that only may work for a limited time until she'll need to go down even lower.

• Love 3

Next episode with Whitney dropping by her gyno's office to see if she will be fertile...the more I think about this, the more I wonder how the hell it will work. I've done the full battery of tests for various fertility problems and it takes MONTHS. Blood tests at various points during the cycle, ultrasounds at various points during the cycle, an HSG to check the tubes, and those are just the basics. This is why they don't bother running tests until you've been trying at least a year to get pregnant (less if you're over 35). Ten bucks says they show Whitney getting a simple blood test that confirms that, yes, she has indicators for PCOS. Weird as hell that she'd bother with all this fertility stuff the second a (not serious yet) boyfriend mentions kids. Has it not occurred to her before that her PCOS might be doing more than just making/keeping her fat?

• Love 4

I hope I am posting this comment in the right place (I'll move it if not), This occured me me while reading some of the latest posts on Whitney's live special, but she did not pioneer this "fat people can do things that usually only skinny people do" movement.  Has anyone here ever heard of Megan Garcia?  She was a plus-size model, then became a Yoga instructor. She was the first to bring yoga modifications for heavy people to the mainstream (http://www.amazon.com/MegaYoga-First-Program-Curvy-Women/dp/0756619475).  She has a couple DVDs, but they really aren't about watching her do yoga, they are about informing us plus size gals how to make yoga work for us.  She is awesome!  Whitney should take some pointers from her.

• Love 3

On another note re: Whitney - I also don't think it's a good idea for her to be dating a guy who likes heavy women.  A lot of them exert subtle pressure on their partners to stay fat because they don't prefer skinny women, which she may give into if she wants to keep him interested.

Oh, absolutely. There are plenty of stories about men who have dumped their overweight wives/girlfriends when the women lost the weight.

Worst aspect: Now that Whitney has this show, she has absolutely NO motivation to lose the weight - because if she did, she'd lose the show and all the money and attention it brings her. Which is very, very sad.

• Love 5

Seriously a memoir? Why does everyone think we the viewer needs to know every detail of their life, especially when they are on a reality show so we have already seen a good chunk. I guess it's kinda a too each their own thing, because I have found a couple of reality show memoirs interesting, but that doesn't mean every single reality star need to write a book about it. I really don't know what Whitney would cover that we do t know because a) all she does is talk about herself on her show anyway, we know she was a dancer, we know she played soccer, we know she made home movies, we know her mom and dad are her biggest fans. B) as stated above, she is 32, and at this point hasn't gotten married or had kids, I don't mean that life doesn't begin until that happens, but she still has so much time to live, so many things are going to still happen, but I guess if she waits till she's older and does have more to write, she'll likely have slipped to obscurity and nobody would remember or read her book.

• Love 1

I feel kind of responsible for the "memoirs" assumption, since I made the joke about it. I don't know if that's what she's doing, I just assume...because what else is she going to write about? Nuclear evolutionary development? World economies?

• Love 3

Oh, my bad I thought she said it. Sadly I didn't question it at all because that does seem like something she would do, either a memoir, or a book about living with pcos, even though she was not aware that could cause cysts in her ovaries.

I feel kind of responsible for the "memoirs" assumption, since I made the joke about it. I don't know if that's what she's doing, I just assume...because what else is she going to write about? Nuclear evolutionary development? World economies?

Either way...I anticipate a coloring book format.

Is it weird that TLC is already showing commercials that she will be back next year? I don't really recall them doing that with other shows, and quite frankly I'm surprised she did well enough to be guaranteed a spot... I didn't think the ratings were that good.

Is it weird that TLC is already showing commercials that she will be back next year? I don't really recall them doing that with other shows, and quite frankly I'm surprised she did well enough to be guaranteed a spot... I didn't think the ratings were that good.

After the clusterfuck of the Duggars, everybody is getting a shot on TLC.

• Love 5

On Instagram, she posted a picture of an ottoman that she broke because she sat on it.

This is the caption: "Well, after 12 years of being fat, it finally happened: I broke a piece of furniture

• Love 1

On Instagram, she posted a picture of an ottoman that she broke because she sat on it.

This is the caption: "Well, after 12 years of being fat, it finally happened: I broke a piece of furniture R.I.P. ottoman."

LMAO -- that is pretty funny, and a good attitude to have about it.

• Love 1

I wasn't sure the best thread for this, but Whitney was in my town this weekend taping her show. We have a big St. Patrick's Day parade that was held today, and her Big Girls Dance Class was in the parade. No mention of that was made on Whitney's FB page or anything, but I knew because the parade itself announced it on their FB page.  We go to the parade every year, and I was really excited to see them in this year's parade, because I honestly love the show.

It was SO weird. There were about 10 members of the dance class walking with a banner (included her red-headed choreographer friend), and then Whitney was in a motorized scooter ahead of the banner. But here's the weird - she made no effort to interact with the crowd - didn't wave, didn't even look around. She seemed to be in some sort of argument with a producer for part of the time she was in front of us, and then was talking to her choreographer friend. No one danced, there was no music, most of them looked like they'd rather be anywhere else. I yelled "Whitney!" and she glanced my way, and that was it. She looked pissed - not at me, but as if something had gone really wrong today. I hope this weekend's story makes it into the show b/c I'd love to know what was going on.

After I yelled, her dad came over to me and said "Hi! How are you?" and was very smiley and nice. So I'm not sure if she was just having a bad day or maybe the parade wasn't what they thought it would be? It's a REALLY long parade with TONS of entries and so just walking isn't going to garner you much attention. I don't know if they weren't happy with people not knowing who they were, or if they had planned to dance and Whitney somehow got hurt (hence the scooter) or what. 

• Love 2

I wasn't sure the best thread for this, but Whitney was in my town this weekend taping her show. We have a big St. Patrick's Day parade that was held today, and her Big Girls Dance Class was in the parade. No mention of that was made on Whitney's FB page or anything, but I knew because the parade itself announced it on their FB page.  We go to the parade every year, and I was really excited to see them in this year's parade, because I honestly love the show.

It was SO weird. There were about 10 members of the dance class walking with a banner (included her red-headed choreographer friend), and then Whitney was in a motorized scooter ahead of the banner. But here's the weird - she made no effort to interact with the crowd - didn't wave, didn't even look around. She seemed to be in some sort of argument with a producer for part of the time she was in front of us, and then was talking to her choreographer friend. No one danced, there was no music, most of them looked like they'd rather be anywhere else. I yelled "Whitney!" and she glanced my way, and that was it. She looked pissed - not at me, but as if something had gone really wrong today. I hope this weekend's story makes it into the show b/c I'd love to know what was going on.

After I yelled, her dad came over to me and said "Hi! How are you?" and was very smiley and nice. So I'm not sure if she was just having a bad day or maybe the parade wasn't what they thought it would be? It's a REALLY long parade with TONS of entries and so just walking isn't going to garner you much attention. I don't know if they weren't happy with people not knowing who they were, or if they had planned to dance and Whitney somehow got hurt (hence the scooter) or what. 

How did she look?  Has she made any progress?  I had to stop following her on facebook, but I am still curious.

• Love 1

I was trying to find any recent photos of her but could not verify when any of them were taken.  She has been up to some interesting stuff lately, like a tour of South Africa to promote the "No Body Shame" campaign, working on a book called "I do it with the Lights On" and teaching a dancing class at Duke University for a week in February.  She also did an interview with People Magazine.  There's a video with that but it looks like it was done in Times Square in the warm weather so it must have been last year.

How did she look?  Has she made any progress?  I had to stop following her on facebook, but I am still curious.

You know, she was all sort of folded up on the scooter, so it would have been hard to tell. She had posted a picture on her Facebook from actual St. Patrick's Day in a really cute tank top and skirt, and to me she looks the same - though she absolutely may have lost some weight. I am terrible at noticing that kind of stuff.

• Love 1

I took a loot at her Instagram and found a photo from St. Patrick's day but it doesn't look like she's lost much, if any weight.  I did find something very interesting down a ways on the page posted in 2011 - a before and after photo in which she went from 329 to 229 lbs.  She explains what happened:

READ THE CAPTION BEFORE YOU TELL ME I'M "doing great!" Every day on social media, people tell me to "eat less, exercise more, and lose weight." Many people don't know that even with PCOS, I lost 100 pounds in 8 months back in 2011. Even fewer people than that know that during this time, I was suffering from major disordered eating and an obsession with calorie-counting and fitness.
Even though my weight loss was applauded as being super healthy, I was working out 2-3 times every day and eating as few as 500 calories a day and throwing up everything I ate on my cheat day. This was not healthy, and is why I have ditched my obsession with what I weigh and instead choose to focus on behaviors that are healthy for me regarding food, exercise, rest, etc.
At my thinnest in 2011, I weighed 229 pounds and I still had an eating disorder. You do not have to be underweight to suffer from one. If you think you have an eating disorder or may be at risk for developing one, go to http://nedawareness.org/get-screenedIt only takes 3 minutes and it could save your life! #NEDAwareness

Here's the St. Pat's Day photo:

12821397_10102061441471858_8758552076961

Edited by Snarklepuss

OK, so she looks the same, whatever.

By the way, an eating disorder is an eating disorder.  Compulsive eating is just as bad as compulsive dieting.  When does she take her stand on compulsive eating?

How embarrassing for her to be in a scooter at a parade with her no b.s. campaign behind her. Too bad she didn't post if she had an injury or illness. How rude to not interact with the crowd as well. Obviously this special snowflake still pouts if she doesn't get her way.

The title of her book? To piss off her dad or embarrasses him? How mature.

Like anyone cares how she has sex. Not exactly going to be upfront at Barnes and Noble, until it goes in the sale aisle.

WOW! In this article, Whitney says she has no desire to go below 250 in weight! While better, that's still vastly and ridiculously overweight for her. I wonder if she is saying that because she feels that's an attainable goal or because she's embraced 'fat acceptance' in the way that Zsalynn from 'My 600 lb Life' formerly did?

http://www.liftbump.com/2015/09/84652-tlc-star-of-my-big-fat-fabulous-whitney-life-reveals-exactly-how-much-weight-she-plans-to-lose/

• Love 1
On 3/20/2016 at 2:40 PM, Snarklepuss said:

READ THE CAPTION BEFORE YOU TELL ME I'M "doing great!" Every day on social media, people tell me to "eat less, exercise more, and lose weight." Many people don't know that even with PCOS, I lost 100 pounds in 8 months back in 2011. Even fewer people than that know that during this time, I was suffering from major disordered eating and an obsession with calorie-counting and fitness.
Even though my weight loss was applauded as being super healthy, I was working out 2-3 times every day and eating as few as 500 calories a day and throwing up everything I ate on my cheat day. This was not healthy, and is why I have ditched my obsession with what I weigh and instead choose to focus on behaviors that are healthy for me regarding food, exercise, rest, etc.
At my thinnest in 2011, I weighed 229 pounds and I still had an eating disorder. You do not have to be underweight to suffer from one. If you think you have an eating disorder or may be at risk for developing one, go to http://nedawareness.org/get-screenedIt only takes 3 minutes and it could save your life! #NEDAwareness

Gosh, she seems so defensive and unlikable.  Is this her trying to get people to appreciate her point of view?  Yikes.  And again with the PCOS, we get it girl, you have PCOS.  I think Martians know you have PCOS at this point.

Losing weight, in and of itself is probably healthy for her, and certainly for her issues with diabetes.

I know that 2x a week I run in the mornings and do an hour long step aerobics class at night, so I don't know if thats super strange when you're looking to lose weight.  And I'm not sure if its unhealthy per se.  I guess it would depend on how long each of these sessions was.

Throwing up food is never a good thing....but I wonder just how many calories she was consuming on a "cheat day"

• Love 4

I think that article reinforces previous posters' opinions/concerns about her maintaining a certain unhealthy weight to please the men in her life, at the moment, Buddy and Lennie.  Hopefully at least one of them will be there for the long-haul, but even if not, would she just surround herself with replacements with the same preference(s)?

Edited by lallalla
Correcting spelling of Lennie's name.
  • Love 1

The premise of the show is supposed to be a girl living her life while being big, and showing you can be bigger and happy... Yet all we see is how she can't do things and how she is discriminated against, and her angst over her size.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, leighroda said:

The premise of the show is supposed to be a girl living her life while being big, and showing you can be bigger and happy... Yet all we see is how she can't do things and how she is discriminated against, and her angst over her size.

And her rapidly deteriorating health. I'm not seeing anything "fabulous" about Whitney's life.

• Love 9
On October 31, 2015 at 9:30 PM, Ketzel said:

I've given up watching this show; it was making me feel an uncomfortable combination of sadness and disgust for this immature and none-too-bright woman.

I agree with you. I am embarrassed for her and her family that she is so starved for attention, she will put out all the good bad and ugly about her life and lifestyle choices. I agree with others too, regarding her giggling, and boisterous laughter. Sometimes I wonder if she laughs loudly so she drown out the naysayers, and by drawing out her communication with all her giggles, etc., it's a way of maintaining attention while also not allowing others to jump in with a response. She is so egocentric, it's exhausting just to watch her. I find myself changing the channel as soon as I hear that laugh.

• Love 2
(edited)

If you watch the show (versus just read the media about her, like one article I read where she DOES cop to PCOS only accounting for about her first 80lbs of weight gain), it's clear she totally blames PCOS, not for just the first 80-100lbs, which I still find suspect, but certainly easier to swallow than nearly 300lbs. She is self-capitulating, braying, whining, and ignoring the fact that even her 'dance' (cough) classes seem to offer her little to no movement.
I think she is a beautiful woman, however, I hate that she only uses medical professionals who cater to her mindset. It's one thing to find medical help you feel emotes with you, it's another to seek out multiple ones in order to reaffirm your own dangerously unhealthy personal biases. You need to find someone with a healthy balance of empathy and outright honesty. This capitulating by them is going to sign her death sentence, or at least guarantee her a  slot on 'My 600lb Life'.

Edited by lallalla
elaborated, clarified
  • Love 3

TLC is airing commercials for June's new season and it doesn't look good for Whitney. The clips shows her boyfriend expressing concern for her health, Whitney retorting that she's happy with her weight, and then cut to a dramatic shot of her suddenly falling to the ground, ominous music accompanies.

13 hours ago, lallalla said:

TLC is airing commercials for June's new season and it doesn't look good for Whitney. The clips shows her boyfriend expressing concern for her health, Whitney retorting that she's happy with her weight, and then cut to a dramatic shot of her suddenly falling to the ground, ominous music accompanies.

I have to say, every time I see this I either laugh or roll my eyes. It's so over the top and desperate for attention (well, this is TLC after all...).

• Love 5
On 5/23/2016 at 2:09 PM, PinkyCupcake said:

I have to say, every time I see this I either laugh or roll my eyes. It's so over the top and desperate for attention (well, this is TLC after all...).

After seeing this a couple of times now, I agree, you're absolutely right. The first time I was little concerned, then by the second, third, eighth times I had seen it, I realized it seemed over-the-top and fake.  I would be shocked if she directly attributes it to her weight, it will be something about not getting enough rest, not eating enough, heat exhaustion, etc., she'll have some way to get out of saying she even needs to lose a moderate amount of weight.

Apart from a couple of articles I read dated early last year, is she even discussing losing a moderate amount of weight still or is she just all about being "big, fabulous, and 'healthy'"? At one time, she was *at least* saying she would get down to 250 lbs (or was it 225?), but no further.  As others have stated, that is still dangerously overweight for her height and would only classify her as lower category of morbidly obese.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, lallalla said:

After seeing this a couple of times now, I agree, you're absolutely right. The first time I was little concerned, then by the second, third, eighth times I had seen it, I realized it seemed over-the-top and fake.  I would be shocked if she directly attributes it to her weight, it will be something about not getting enough rest, not eating enough, heat exhaustion, etc., she'll have some way to get out of saying she even needs to lose a moderate amount of weight.

Apart from a couple of articles I read dated early last year, is she even discussing losing a moderate amount of weight still or is she just all about being "big, fabulous, and 'healthy'"? At one time, she was *at least* saying she would get down to 250 lbs (or was it 225?), but no further.  As others have stated, that is still dangerously overweight for her height and would only classify her as lower category of morbidly obese.

I know, she way just dehydrated, that's why she "passed out" i,e, dramatically fell to the ground.  

I think she did say at one point that he goal was like 250...but at this weight, she is still in the morbidly obese category (not that the BMI charts are an end all be all).  She will probably need to get around the 200 mark to be "fat and healthy"

• Love 2