Type keyword(s) to search

Everyone Is Suddenly A Medical Expert: The Media Thread

• Start Topic

Is it me or is she even larger in the new season previews?

No it's not you. I noticed it as well and forgot to post it.  Which is sad. I understand her enthusiasm but girlfriend cannot solely blame her medical condition for the weight. It's TLC. They have chef shows.  Why can't they arrange for Whitney to meet up one of the chefs and teach her to cook more nutrition foods? Or meet up with a nutritionist to advise what to eat? Or a trainer to help her work out?  Just doing zumba isn't going to work if she goes home and eats mayo and banana sandwiches or a bag full of chips.

• Love 4

Oh goody, another season of her being loud and obnoxious and acting like she's 12 when her parents ask her to help around the house or clean her car...

even better. She's moving out. So we can actually see how slobby she can get.

It's TLC. They have chef shows.  Why can't they arrange for Whitney to meet up one of the chefs and teach her to cook more nutrition foods? Or meet up with a nutritionist to advise what to eat? Or a trainer to help her work out?

How about a cross-over show where they send Whitney to live with Kate Gosslin and Kate whips her into shape. The reason KG had fertility treatments that resulted in sextuplets is that she had PCOS, so I doubt Kate would accept PCOS as an excuse for Whitney's weight. I don't think Kate is a very likeable person, but she's a taskmaster that's for sure.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 6

I saw a preview from Whitney on Facebook (I think) and she and Buddy are now living together. If she's gained weight, this might be the reason why, it often happens when couples get married or start living together.

• Love 2

How about a cross-over show where they send Whitney to live with Kate Gosslin and Kate whips her into shape. The reason KG had fertility treatments that resulted in sextuplets is that she had PCOS, so I doubt Kate would accept PCOS as an excuse for Whitney's weight. I don't think Kate is a very likeable person, but she's a taskmaster that's for sure.

I'd watch this show. But only if Babs and the dad get to show love to the sweet Gosselin kids. Like, I'm so down for it.

• Love 5

While I'm not a huge fan of this show simply because I think Whitney acts like a snotty teen most of the time, I still follow her on Facebook and she has had some really good, common sense posts lately about fat shaming. I'm watching some of the s1 reruns today which is reminding me that her show really isn't helping her cause. She keeps staying that all she has to do is exercise or dance to lose weight, but in reality she is just making her weight worse. When you are that big, eating less is the key. Moderate exercise is beneficial, but rigorous exercise just makes you eat more. Sorry honey, you can't eat banana and mayo sandwiches and get down to under 200 pounds. This show drives me nuts.

• Love 2

I'd watch this show. But only if Babs and the dad get to show love to the sweet Gosselin kids. Like, I'm so down for it.

I'd watch the heck out of this.

Just the threat of having to go live with Kate Gosselin & her overseeing my diet/exercise would have me doing everything in my power to lose weight with a quickness.

• Love 4

I can't believe this show got a second season. TLC must be reeling from the vacancy left by the Duggars.

Apparently, they're actually looking to expand the concept. From the current Casting page at TLC:

"SEEKING LARGER THAN LIFE INDIVIDUALS!!

Are you struggling with extreme weight AND dealing with a major life crisis? If you are plus sized and getting married, have issues with hoarding, struggling with addiction that is not food related, incarcerated, have a twin, or preparing for catastrophe, we would like to hear your story. If you are Big and Bold and want to share your life story email us at itsmylifeplus@gmail.com Please include your name, age, your city and state, how much you weigh and a photo. Also tell us about your life and the emotional and physical challenges you are facing."

Anyone fantasizing about being the next Whitney Thore? Only now with even bigger challenges! (Not intended as a play on words.) Here's your chance!

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 2

Apparently, they're actually looking to expand the concept. From the current Casting page at TLC:

"SEEKING LARGER THAN LIFE INDIVIDUALS!!

Are you struggling with extreme weight AND dealing with a major life crisis? If you are plus sized and getting married, have issues with hoarding, struggling with addiction that is not food related, incarcerated, have a twin, or preparing for catastrophe, we would like to hear your story. If you are Big and Bold and want to share your life story email us at itsmylifeplus@gmail.com Please include your name, age, your city and state, how much you weigh and a photo. Also tell us about your life and the emotional and physical challenges you are facing."

Anyone fantasizing about being the next Whitney Thore? Only now with even bigger challenges! (Not intended as a play on words.) Here's your chance!

oh no, are they going to call it Big and Bold?  Just no, please no.  They want a fat person in jail?  My goodness, this really is the trainwreck network.  

I particularly like the "Are you plus sized and preparing for a catastrophe?" invitation.

I know right?  What is the nature of this catastrophe TLC is hoping you're preparing for?  Like a hurricane, a tornado, swimsuit season?

• Love 2

I like that it says "have a twin", then jumps to "preparing for a catastrophe" is it weird for plus sized people to have a twin? How is plus sized hoarding different than regular hoarding? I guess little people are out, and it's the year of the plus sized.

• Love 3

Yeah, I'd allow Whitney some leeway for being young and naive, but that ad should put to rest any suggestion that a TLC show's purpose is anything but a total freak show.

See that's what I don't understand. She's lived in Korea where she taught English, she was a radio producer/DJ and we're supposed to believe she's this naive 30 year old?

She's 30? Yikes. I haven't listened closely to the backstory and assumed she was younger. Based on her behavior and interactions with her parents.

Yeah -- in terms of maturity she comes off about 10 years younger.

I like that it says "have a twin", then jumps to "preparing for a catastrophe" is it weird for plus sized people to have a twin? How is plus sized hoarding different than regular hoarding? I guess little people are out, and it's the year of the plus sized.

My guess is they're going to rehash the "my fat is genetic!" debate by showing a super morbidly obese person with a regular-sized twin.

Has TLC ever actually watched one of their Hoarders shows or did they just forget? About 99% of those people featured are morbidly obese. 

I think it would be interesting to hear about twins where one was morbidly obese and the other was normal weight because I have never seen that before.  There was Olivia on My 600 Lb Life who was a twin.  Her twin was only about 300 lbs (HA!) and she was 600 lbs and after 2 years, Olivia went down to under 200 and her sister appeared to remain at about 300.  

So it seems like TLC wants to combine all of their shows into one. This shouldn't be too hard.  Now if they found an obese twin drawrf with a pain pill addiction living in a hoarded house that is also haunted, now that would be cool.

• Love 4

Has TLC ever actually watched one of their Hoarders shows or did they just forget? About 99% of those people featured are morbidly obese. 

I think it would be interesting to hear about twins where one was morbidly obese and the other was normal weight because I have never seen that before.  There was Olivia on My 600 Lb Life who was a twin.  Her twin was only about 300 lbs (HA!) and she was 600 lbs and after 2 years, Olivia went down to under 200 and her sister appeared to remain at about 300.  

So it seems like TLC wants to combine all of their shows into one. This shouldn't be too hard.  Now if they found an obese twin dwarf with a pain pill addiction living in a hoarded house that is also haunted, now that would be cool.

You forgot that the  "star" would have to be female, and shopping for her wedding gown at Kleinfeld's or Bridals by Lori. :)

• Love 2

So it seems like TLC wants to combine all of their shows into one. This shouldn't be too hard.  Now if they found an obese twin drawrf with a pain pill addiction living in a hoarded house that is also haunted, now that would be cool.

You forgot that the  "star" would have to be female, and shopping for her wedding gown at Kleinfeld's or Bridals by Lori. :)

Pills are soooo average peoples' problem. It would have to be an addiction to sniffing Pine Sol or eating dust bunnies. And shopping for a wedding gown at Keinfeld's for her upcoming marriage to her 2004 Toyota Corolla.

• Love 3

Pills are soooo average peoples' problem. It would have to be an addiction to sniffing Pine Sol or eating dust bunnies. And shopping for a wedding gown at Keinfeld's for her upcoming marriage to her 2004 Toyota Corolla.

This is TLC, you would need to be drinking the Pine-Sol.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 1

I never watched this show before outside of promos because, I get the idea, she's fat and happy, I don't need to watch the details.  Are they switching it up, that you can be fat and happy, but you can't also be all that healthy?

(edited)
3 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

I never watched this show before outside of promos because, I get the idea, she's fat and happy, I don't need to watch the details.  Are they switching it up, that you can be fat and happy, but you can't also be all that healthy?

Thanks for posting this Toaster Strudel.  Yes, you can actually be fat, happy, and healthy, but maybe at 220 pounds, not 380.  I don't know what the bright line is for what you can weigh without killing your internal organs and maybe there isn't one, but she's way to heavy to be doing what she's doing.  I wouldn't be surprised if she over 400 at this point.  She has played with "diet and exercise" for two years now, she needs to cut here losses and seek medical intervention before her mom will be changing pee pads for her in bed.  This is serious.  I don't think I'm going to be able to watch her kill herself just to earn a couple bucks.

Edited by notyrmomma
  • Love 4

Judging by the constant previews, are they still trying to convince us she has a big fat fabulous life by showing her panicking on skis, barely getting in a vehicle and fainting?  They might want to change the show title this season!

• Love 7

TLC turned on her for more views.  I wouldn't be surprised if she has had some episodes before but they were left on the cutting room floor so that she could appear to have a somewhat fabulous/fit life.  I can't be sure of course, but I think her reaction to falling out will be telling.....if it really causes her to turn a corner I'll believe its the first time she has had any big episode related to her weight.  If she takes it in stride....I'd be more likely to believe that this wasn't the first time something has happened from her weight (not necessarily saying she has fainted before...but something)

• Love 3

It's interesting that in that preview clip, Whitney's friend says that the dance-a-thon is, "a big deal for her to be on her feet this long". He doesn't say it's a big deal for her to be dancing that long, but just to be on her feet that long. I think we will see that Whitney's weight is really starting to take a toll on her body. Her hips, knees and heart just can't take that amount of weight forever. Sad to say, but if she doesn't start getting some control of her weight the show is going to become"My Big Fat Fabulous Bedridden Life".

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, absolutelyido said:

It's interesting that in that preview clip, Whitney's friend says that the dance-a-thon is, "a big deal for her to be on her feet this long". He doesn't say it's a big deal for her to be dancing that long, but just to be on her feet that long. I think we will see that Whitney's weight is really starting to take a toll on her body. Her hips, knees and heart just can't take that amount of weight forever. Sad to say, but if she doesn't start getting some control of her weight the show is going to obecome"My Big Fat Fabulous Bedridden Life".

See this right here. Wasn't the whole premise that Whitney was this awesome dancer and she just happened to be a big girl? She's a dancing fool so being on her feet should be a non-issue?  Theres a lie in there somewhere about being fat and fabulous? 

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 2

She really needs to get a grip on reality and not be blinded by the TLC money.  If she is 350 pounds and her height is 5'4 she is around 60 on the BMI chart.  That isn't just overweight - it's dangerously obese.  I agree with preciousperfect - she is dangerously delusional.  

I may only watch just to snark about it later on the boards.  Just makes me sad, when season 1 aired, I had high hopes for Big Whit.  That she was serious about losing the weight.  She doesn't give two craps about it.  Pass on the cheetos and tub of ice cream to her. 

• Love 4

She loves being fat because it's what got her all that attention in the first place.  I think she's afraid if she loses weight she'll be just like everyone else and no one will look at her anymore.  After all, she's actually an exhibitionist.  She's living in a dream world thinking she can be fat and do all that dancing without it impacting her health.  She's getting away with it now because she's young but if she were my age she would have left that dance hall in a body bag.  Every time they interview her she insists she's going to focus on her health but then ignores the main reason she's unhealthy in the first place.  I get it that it's hard for her to lose weight otherwise all that activity would have helped her shed some pounds by now, but she at least needs to lose a good 100 lbs. to help her health.   I don't expect her to be svelte but around 200 would be a good goal.

• Love 4
On 5/19/2016 at 1:56 PM, preciousperfect said:

I like how that People article states "at her heaviest she was 350 pounds" Clearly she is well beyond 350 pounds and is heading into My 600 Pound Life territory. She's dangerously delusional.  

You said it!  Wow, it looks like she's put on a hundred pounds since last season.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

You said it!  Wow, it looks like she's put on a hundred pounds since last season.  

She really does look heavier.  I can't believe that even with her condition she could put on that much weight doing all that dancing.  Of course, printed leggings will make anyone look bigger, too.

• Love 1