Type keyword(s) to search

American Crime in the Media

I truly do not understand how this got renewed. The ratings are terrible. There's not been a lot of critical acclaim that I have seen. They must have a really good crime in store for next season because this is going to need a massive reboot.

• Love 2
(edited)

When I wanted to check a movie review, I always went to Roger Ebert.  His site is still going and may be run by his wife Chas, I don't know but I miss Roger.  

TV reviews are tricky.  There are too many critics who blow smoke for personal reasons.  If they are too heavy handed that means they may not be invited to parties or gatherings where some have been offended by them.   And I believe others don't watch the show but mirror other reviews.  Before this show aired there were a lot of favorable reviews that were clearly manufactured to bring in viewers.  Those reviews were all very much the same and made no mention of particular plot points or characters.  None.  

When they say this has been renewed, it is for another installment totally different from this one, I hope.  

Edited by wings707

The concept of having the story of what happens after a crime to the families and friends of the victims and purpatrators is a good one, and maybe next time they'll get it right under a new showrunner.

• Love 1
When they say this has been renewed, it is for another installment totally different from this one, I hope.  

It's supposed to be an anthology and this storyline would be wrapped up by the finale, so yes, it should be a different story/characters.

• Love 1

I truly do not understand how this got renewed. The ratings are terrible. There's not been a lot of critical acclaim that I have seen.

Final season averages: 1.16 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.98 million total viewers

The 5th annual Critics' Choice Television Awards nominated the show for Best Limited Series, Felicity Huffman for Best Actress in a Movie or Limited Series, and Elvis Nolasco for Best Supporting Actor in a Movie or Limited Series. Metacritic gave it an 84, Rotten Tomatoes 95%.

• Love 1

What they need is a completely new writing staff.   Because the current crew doesn't know what it's doing.

And to stop with the "artsy" camera work. It would literally take me out of the show. I would start reading and then realize I was watching a show on TV. It never added anything that I could see; it was just distracting.

• Love 1

Final season averages: 1.16 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.98 million total viewers

The 5th annual Critics' Choice Television Awards nominated the show for Best Limited Series, Felicity Huffman for Best Actress in a Movie or Limited Series, and Elvis Nolasco for Best Supporting Actor in a Movie or Limited Series. Metacritic gave it an 84, Rotten Tomatoes 95%.

Perhaps because it has all the trappings of a serious drama the critics have mistaken it for one.    Standards today are so low.  The show is a weekly exercise in cliche, mediocrity and race-baiting.   My guess: the Michael Brown and Freddie Gray cases have artificially pumped up the show's "relevance" rating.

I personally nominate the show for "Most Hateable Set of Characters Since Six Feet Under."

• Love 2

American Crime Season 2 to Focus on Sexual Identity, Class Warfare

“[in Season 1] we dealt with race and faith; in Season 2 we want to deal a lot more with class,” exec producer John Ridley tells TVLine. “We want to deal with gender issues, sexual orientation and sexual identity.”

The acclaimed drama will also shift its setting from Northern California to “the midwest” and feature a different “inciting incident,” according to Ridley. (TVLine has learned that much of the Season 2 action is expected to take place at an elite prep school that boasts a disparate student body, including a gay basketball star.)

(edited)

That just means they like the actors and others on production.  I pay little attention to this particular award show.   There is a lot of ass kissing going on.  

Perhaps because it has all the trappings of a serious drama the critics have mistaken it for one.    Standards today are so low.  The show is a weekly exercise in cliche, mediocrity and race-baiting.   My guess: the Michael Brown and Freddie Gray cases have artificially pumped up the show's "relevance" rating.

I personally nominate the show for "Most Hateable Set of Characters Since Six Feet Under."

I agree but I loved Six Feet Under.  

I also hope the next season has a totally different flavor.  I will not sit through another tortured effort in the name of art.  

Edited by wings707

10 Emmy noms, the most of any network series.

Of course, that number would be cut down by a ton if it was to compete as a Series rather than a "Limited Series"/Miniseries, which is a far weaker genre, but ABC justified its obvious reasons for the renewal of such a badly-rated show.

It's what kept Good Wife going for so long, though it took that show longer to get to its low lows.

Here's a follow-up to the basketball team rape story linked above with more details. What a horrific story! It's close to what happened on the show, but much worse. The victim ended up hospitalized.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/01/22/after-rape-of-freshman-basketball-player-a-tenn-high-school-grapples-with-accusations-of-abuse-and-lack-of-accountability/

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, starri said:

Renewed.  I'm kind of shocked.

One of the few shows ABC didn't cancel.  I think in large part to the amount of critical acclaim it gets.   Agent Carter and Galavant got critcal praise but nowhere near what American Crime gets.  Plus this show is Emmy bait.  

• Love 1

lol i think if you're shocked how this show gets renewed (and you haven't watched it yet), I suggest you watch it. only 10 eps a season and truly amazing. I am curious each season what twists and turns it brings. One of the seasons was a bit more disappointing in endings than the other but honestly the events that occur in the seasons are shockworthy and will have you wishing more of your friends watched this show. SEriously. 

• Love 1

Well the show got an Emmy Nomination, at least it got some recognition.

Oh and Lily Taylor got a much deserved nomination as well.

This is great, because sometimes I don't know what the hell the academy is doing. They got this right. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, represent said:

Well the show got an Emmy Nomination, at least it got some recognition.

Oh and Lily Taylor got a much deserved nomination as well.

This is great, because sometimes I don't know what the hell the academy is doing. They got this right. 

Felicity Huffman and Regina King also got nominations.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, since her performance was absolutely fantastic) Sarah Paulson seems to be a lock for the category.  Maybe she, Lili, and Felicity could have a three-way tie.

And Jean Smart and Regina can tie for Supporting.

On 1/1/2017 at 11:24 PM, nutty1 said:

I am so happy Connor Jessup will be on season 3. Sandra Oh will also be on.....I really like her.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/american-crime-season-3-janel-moloney-abc-1201891137/

I saw the trailer and boy does it look good. This is phenomenal series and a good reason for Oh to come back to tv. I look forward to seeing her again. I also think it must be really cool/awesome for the regular actors on this series, that they get to play a different role each season. Unlike your usual series where they play the same role season after season and after a while it must get pretty stale. After a while there's  no challenge anymore. 

• Love 1

I am thrilled with how many people are returning- I figured on Felicity Huffman, Regina King and Tim Hutton, but am thrilled to also see Connor Jessup and Benito Martinez. It also looks as though FH may be playing a character that I like more than in the first two seasons. I love her as an actress, but I didn't like Leslie or Barb at all (as in "they were unpleasant people, in my opinion" not "Felicity H did not play them in a compelling way").

• Love 1

I'm posting this here in response to a question on the regular Episode thread. It's about how the story is set in NC, but, had difficulty being filmed here. What a bummer.  

http://www.newsobserver.com/entertainment/tv/article137117058.html

I also read that the setting for most of the action, like the migrant farm, is in Alamance County, NC.  Here is the link where I saw Alamane County.  It could be off. I'll have to rewatch the show, but, maybe they'll give more details in later episodes. 

http://ew.com/recap/american-crime-season-3-premiere/

Edited by SunnyBeBe

It's a shame but I remember based on the ratings after the first season, many thought it would be cancelled then. I'm grateful we got two more seasons after that. This season wasn't as strong as the first two, but it was still compelling television.

• Love 2