Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

But the cast is otherwise quite good, and I adore every scene with David.  He is so funny in his interactions with everyone.  I've never seen the actor in anything else, but he's perfect in this role.

I think Dan Levy (David) co-created this show? Thought I read that he created this with dad, Eugene. :) It definitely served them well, what with the love and awards the show deservedly received.

12 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I think Dan Levy (David) co-created this show? Thought I read that he created this with dad, Eugene. :)

Yes, they are listed as co-creators.  Dan also wrote/co-wrote a number of episodes and directed a few.  In addition to Dan and his sister Sarah, there's also Eugene's brother Fred, who was an executive producer even though he'd never produced an episode of television before in his life (but he was a business manager to industry clients, with extensive financial experience; I don't know how much creative input he had, but I'm sure he was valuable as a trusted money man).  It was very much a family affair - as I started watching, I laughed at how many times I saw a Levy pop up in the credits.

• Love 1
On 6/30/2021 at 9:39 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I think Dan Levy (David) co-created this show? Thought I read that he created this with dad, Eugene. :) It definitely served them well, what with the love and awards the show deservedly received.

Yes. Dan had the original idea and brought it to his dad and together they fleshed it out into a TV show. Initially, they were co-showrunners but I believe Eugene stepped down after the second (?) season. Dan hadn't acted much prior to this. He had been a personality on MTV Canada and had hosted a The Hills after show.

• Useful 1
On 6/30/2021 at 5:38 PM, Bastet said:

Even with the presence of Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy, this show never looked funny to me when I saw promos while watching ER re-runs on Pop several years ago, but I recently decided to give it a try on Netflix. 

Basically the same thing happened with me. I live in Canada, so would see the promos for the show long before even the first episode ever aired, and I hated the promos.  So I never watched even 1 minute of the show until earlier this spring when I decided to give it a try. And I was pleasantly surprised when I found I loved it.   Ended up watching the entire series, and was sad when I got to the last episode.  So promos don't always tell the full story.

• Love 2