Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved Catherine O'Hara in this but Eugene Levy was surprisingly bland. It was amusing rather than hilarious and seemed underwritten. I did enjoy David Rose talking about his past career running/owning/doing something at a gallery. Stevie Budd, the motel clerk made an impression because Emily Hampshire brought a lot to her performance but there wasn't much to the character. The only reason Chris Elliot's character was memorable at all was because Chris Elliot played him and he gets on my nerves.  Every once in a while his schtick works wonderfully well. This wasn't one of those times.

I'll keep watching for Catherine O'Hara, with the hope the rest of the show will rise towards her level.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 5

I was kind of bored.

I suppose they were aiming for dry Christopher Guest-like comedic beats... but they missed the mark.

I'll watch a few more though to see if they turn it around.

I actually thought beforehand that Chris Elliot might be interesting in this... but he's just eye-rollingly annoying.

• Love 5

I'm enjoying this show.  I've actually laughed out loud, and this episode was no exception.  And trust me, I find most "comedies" on network TV to be anything but laugh-inducing.

I think between Schitt's Creek, Rick Mercer and 22 Minutes, CBC has got my Tuesday evenings pretty well sewn up.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying this show.  I've actually laughed out loud, and this episode was no exception.  And trust me, I find most "comedies" on network TV to be anything but laugh-inducing.

I think between Schitt's Creek, Rick Mercer and 22 Minutes, CBC has got my Tuesday evenings pretty well sewn up.

I can't bring myself to watch 22 Minutes, but I'm with you about watching Rick Mercer and then Schitt's Creek.

I think the show is getting better. The premise is an old tired one, but watching Levi and O'Hara is a treat.  I like the daughter and the Mayor's wife too.  It's all very well written and thank heavens there is no stupid laugh track.

I can't decide what I think of Dan Levy. I wish he'd wear his glasses though.

Edited by bagatelle
  • Love 2

I really like it. Everything I like tends to be unpopular, and I'm sure this show is no exception, which is a shame. But yes I laughed out loud this episode, I thought it was better than the first two.

The sign had me cracking up, I think the slogan was what really pushed it over the top for me. Also Catherine O'Hara was hysterical in almost every scene, but particularly in the diner when the other woman asks her about teaching children. I like almost all the cast.

The one awful thing for me is I can't stand Chris Elliott, I'm sure he's a nice guy, but I just hate the characters he plays and find it unpleasant to watch him. He just seems like an odd choice too for a CBC show, doesn't seem like a natural fit.

I don't know where this show will go long term, wonder how they could sustain it if it was renewed.

• Love 7

cleo, I dislike Chris Elliot as well.  But considering that I think the mayor's character is supposed to be a jerk, it's kind of inspired casting, when you come to think of it.

One possible storylines could be that maybe one of the Roses runs for mayor, wins and then ex-Mayor Schitt will spend his (considerable) spare time thinking of ways to sabotage the new mayor.

And I guess it depends on how many episodes per season as to how long the show lasts.  A limited episode series (say 7 - 12 per year) would allow the show to go on for quite a while because the story could be a short one but it wouldn't matter because it could still be told over a few seasons.

• Love 1

I don't like Chris Elliot either! The second I saw him, I was turned off, and it didn't even have anything to do with how disgusting he was in the first episode. Thankfully, we saw little of him in this last episode. 

• Love 6

Well, that was cute. I fully expected the daughter to barge through the newly locked door, but I did not expect Johnny and Moira to be anyplace other than the mayor's cabin.  Took me by surprise and I loved the owners non-reaction.

Also, I was worried we would have to see more of the mayor this episode, given that he lent out his cabin, but thankfully, he was barely on screen.

• Love 3

I didn't enjoy this as much as the others. I found both plotlines predictable.

I thought it was interesting they said Stevie was 'too much' like David. I don't quite see that. She is smart and has her own brand of sarcasm, but she seems grounded in a way that he isn't, and with a measured perspective on things that he doesn't have.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Considering where they are I think they're alike. They are similar enough to be drawn to each other. There are probably not many people with their shared personality traits in Schitt's Creek.

I liked this episode a lot. I don't know what this says about me but I totally want to go to David's game night.

• Love 10

Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. (It premieres here in the US on Wednesday night but the first episode is currently OnDemand.)

How old are those kids supposed to be? The lawyer called them "dependents" but both look like they're in their 20s.

I actually thought beforehand that Chris Elliot might be interesting in this... but he's just eye-rollingly annoying.

Thought the same thing at first because Chris Elliott sucks so hard. I figured i hadn't seen him in anything in years and maybe he developed a more nuanced schtick. But, NOPE. He's still intolerable.

I liked it. Chris Elliott is doing what he does, which is playing an incredibly creepy, narcissistic character better than anyone else can. He never winks at the audience to "let them in on the joke," to say, "this isn't really me." He plays it like it's really him. Which is a brave choice. Not an incredibly lucrative choice, but a brave one.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 9

BTW, for those who receive POP TV over DirecTV--on which the channel is standard def (ugh)--I discovered you can see it on Apple TV in high def through the iTunes store. True, you have to pay $2.99 an episode. But for me it'll be worth it for the better picture. Just passing it along.

I enjoyed this show very much, but that's likely because with this cast, I don't think there is any way I couldn't enjoy it.  Everything the son, David, says is funny to me.  Every single word.  Doesn't matter at all what words are coming out of his mouth, I am just in love with his delivery, but it doesn't hurt that most of what he says is funny anyway.  I was impressed by the fact that they cast an actor that looks so much like Eugene Levy, only to find out that he's his real life son.  And Twila, the waitress, is Levy's real life daughter, although I wasn't particularly impressed by her character so far.

I'm all in.  This can only get better, as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 13

Hmmm...this description doesn't match the episode that I just watched.  Alexis was doing trash pick-up with Mutt for community service, and David was trying to sell some of his possessions. 

I think this show gets better and better, and it goes by way too fast.  Makes me sad that it seems no one is watching.  Starting a new show on a new network must be really tough, and I hope somehow they don't end up canceled.  I am loving the Rose family.

• Love 2

The episode where David tries to sell his clothes is S1.E4 Bad Parents. I saw this week's episode where David and Moira try to sell her friend's pyramid scheme makeup. I loved that all the pther women in town had already been sucked in a few years earlier and had ridiculous titles.

• Love 3

Hmmm...this description doesn't match the episode that I just watched.  Alexis was doing trash pick-up with Mutt for community service, and David was trying to sell some of his possessions.

We post the episode threads according to the original Canadian airdates. The thread for the episode you're thinking about can be found here if you still want to talk about it. :)
  • Love 2

Irritable, it's already been renewed for a second season. I thought it was doing ok by Canadian ratings standards.

I like that Moira and Eugene (can't remember the character's name) are supportive of one another. It just feels refreshing that they're not a couple sniping at one another.

• Love 9

Awe, no comments? This is definitely my favourite episode so far (that's even after watching episodes 8 and 9). I've watched this one multiple times, in fact, which for me means a lot. The ending between David and Moira had me bursting out laughing. Everything was spot on though, I loved that Johnny and Moira are a team, that he gave her a heads up that Jocelyn was approaching behind her after she was freaking out about her wig. I am also a fan of the friendship between Mutt and Alexis and the whole (paraphrasing) "a polite person would ask what I was doing tonight" and Mutt's "Oh right, that's what this is about, you".

• Love 5

Ok, I'm caught up on this series and I officially love this show. I'm obsessed with Dan Levy, and I'd be right at home with David's games night, especially the part about it ending promptly at 10.

• Love 6

I actually really enjoyed this episode. The mayor who usually gets on my nerves with his sloppy/slovy ways actually was funny.  Best parts were:

- David and Stevie's discussion about wines (especially the "I thought we both liked red wine")

- Parents, mayor and the mayor's wife getting high

- Moira giving the kid's advice about how they don't have money for a baby out of wedlock and Moira telling Stevie to keep a watch on her cycle.

- Rose and the mayor discussing their dissapointment in their son's.

One thing i am not liking is Mutt and Mutt and Twyla.  Shave that darn beard.

• Love 5

I also really liked this episode. 

Liked Moira and Johnny shotgunning a joint, and the bonding and relaxing at the party.

It was funny Alexis's boyfriend order his entire home from a catalogue and the lasagna too. 

Really liked they made David pansexual.

I loved that- we can't afford a podunk baby out of wedlock.

I love Moira's throwaway comments about the kids, this time it was something like - 'the kids are right, we're talking about them far more than I care to'.

I totally agree about Mutt, way too much facial hair. Conversely, I think Twila would look better without that severe ponytail. Would like to see her hair down.  

• Love 3

I agree with all of the above EXCEPT all the anti beard on Mutt comments. That thing is beautifully groomed and looks so good on Tim Rozon. Plus it makes him look warmer and softens his face (he has very sharp facial features) and it helps differentiate him from his Instant Star character, Tommy. 

Also, I want to expand more on how great it is that David's pansexual. From the little conversation between his parents about his heterosexual hook up not being a phase, and then later acknowledgement that neither were any of his other experiences when his dad explains to the mayor that David loves everyone. I think it was all around well done.

I continue to love the friendship between Stevie and David, I like that the awkwardness at the dinner table between them was flipped and instead of it inciting tension it brought them together, even with David being confused and not being in on the act.
I'm also enjoying the slow burn of Alexis and Mutt's interactions and friendship.

• Love 8

Although I've seen it before (long ago) on SCTV and the Ed Grimley animated series, MAN, there is something truly beautiful about Catherine O'Hara pretending to be an affected, mediocre actress. Her storyline and David's hypochondria really made this episode for me. Oh, and props to the show for acknowledging that the kids are full-blown adults who are inexplicably acting like adolescents!

• Love 4

Oh, and props to the show for acknowledging that the kids are full-blown adults who are inexplicably acting like adolescents!

Yes! I was astonished to learn that David is 34. I thought he had to be 22 at most.

Do we know how old Alexis is? I'm not even sure if she's supposed to be older or younger than David.

• Love 2